When is it time to get ready for the hospital?
If real contractions have begun before childbirth, it means that childbirth is approaching. Don’t worry, you have time to calmly gather while the contractions are at intervals of 20-30 minutes. Of course, it is advisable that the bag with things has already been collected in advance.
How to recognize contractions before childbirth ?
Basically, during the first birth, pregnant women ask themselves how to recognize contractions before childbirth. Quite often, women, even before the onset of labor, intuitively feel that labor will begin soon. With contractions, pain does not immediately appear, usually it all begins with a feeling of discomfort in the abdomen or lower back, some women experience pain similar to menstrual pain. Gradually, these sensations become stronger, spreading to the entire abdomen and lower back, pain appears, which can vary from quite strong pressure to twitching sensations.
Pain during contractions is paroxysmal, its occurrence, intensification, reaching a peak and gradual decrease is clearly felt, then a period of no pain begins. At first, contractions before childbirth occur with an interval of 15-30 minutes and last 5-10 seconds. For the first few hours, they bring a little more discomfort than pain. Gradually, the duration and strength of the contractions increase, and the intervals decrease.
Before childbirth, bloody discharge appears. this is how the mucous plug departs. It shouldn’t be bright red with a lot of blood. The cork can come loose before the start of the contractions. Sometimes the water also leaves before the start of the contractions.
Just before the birth of the child, the contractions become so frequent that they pass one into the other almost without intervals. Further, they are joined by attempts. contractions of the muscles of the uterus, abdominal wall and perineum. At this time, the child presses his head on the small pelvis, and the woman in labor has a desire to push, and the pain moves to the perineum. When the cervix is fully dilated, the birth process begins.
Signs of pathology during contractions
Sometimes, for various reasons, labor can be slowed down. The first contractions are not necessarily followed by labor. contractions of the uterus may become regular only after a few days. This is more common in primiparous women. In such cases, in the maternity hospital, they resort to stimulation of labor.
What to do when contractions start?
The time of the onset of contractions, their duration and the size of the intervals between them should be recorded. This information will be useful for obstetricians, in addition, keeping records will help calm and distract from pain.
You can safely go to the hospital. If the contractions are repeated after 15-20 minutes, the baby will not be born soon. If there are no pathologies, the pregnancy is not multiple, it is better to spend this period at home: a familiar environment will help you to relax better. You can do pleasant things: listen to music, watch a movie. If you are not going to have a caesarean section, you can have a light snack.
When the contractions of the uterus become more frequent and stronger, first of all the woman needs to take a comfortable position and relax. Then the pain will be less. Real contractions before childbirth become longer and longer, and the intervals between them are short. The pain spreads from the abdomen to the lower back, does not relieve with a change in body position.
How to understand that contractions have begun. What contractions are like
How the contractions take place?
Contractions before childbirth develop gradually, so three stages can be distinguished:
- The first stage is the initial one, it lasts 7-8 hours. At this time, contractions occur at intervals of about 5 minutes, and their duration is 30-45 seconds.
- The second phase is active. Its duration is about 5 hours, uterine contractions become more frequent and last longer. with an interval of 2-4 minutes, the duration of contractions reaches 60 seconds.
- The last, transitional, phase is from half an hour to 1.5 hours. Contractions are getting more frequent and longer. They can occur at intervals of a minute and have a duration of 70 to 90 seconds.
If the birth is not the first, the process is faster.
How to tell real contractions from false ones?
False, or training contractions, also called Braxton-Hicks contractions, are contractions of the uterus, as a result of which its cervix does not open. They occur long before childbirth and, unlike real ones, are irregular.
Not every woman feels false contractions, everything is individual here. both their presence and absence is a variant of the norm. They are painless, but uncomfortable.
Training contractions are called training contractions because they prepare the uterus for contractions during labor. Also, with false contractions, blood rushes to the placenta, which is good for the fetus. False contractions are the norm for pregnancy and do not pose any danger. False contractions start around week 20.
Women who are expecting a baby for the first time are often afraid to confuse false contractions with a real onset of labor. What is the difference between training and real fights??
- False contractions can be repeated from several times a day to six times an hour. At the same time, they are irregular, and the intensity gradually decreases. Real contractions before childbirth are regular and repeated at shorter intervals and with greater intensity, and their duration also increases gradually.
- The length of actual contractions may vary, but the intervals between them are almost always equal.
- False contractions are painless, with a feeling of compression in some part of the abdomen or groin. With real pain, sensations spread to the entire abdomen and hip joints.
- With real contractions before childbirth, other symptoms are also observed: discharge of water, mucous plug, pain in the lower back, diarrhea.
How to reduce pain during labor?
The onset of labor is a rather painful process, but a woman can help herself without resorting to medication. The body itself helps her in this by producing endorphins and other hormones that naturally ease painful sensations. There are several proven ways to reduce pain during labor:
- Massage and self-massage. Relaxes muscles and relieves pain. Ask a loved one to massage your lower back, shoulders, and protruding pelvic bones. If there is no one nearby, massage the lower back and protruding pelvic bones with your own hand clenched into a fist.
- Correct breathing. It may seem that holding the breath makes the pain easier to bear. This is not the case, and the lack of oxygen can harm the baby. You need to breathe during contractions deeper and slower than usual, inhaling through the nose and exhaling through the mouth. At the peak of pain, intermittent breathing may help. Try to relax between contractions. Plus, focusing on breathing can help you distract yourself from pain.
- Water procedures. You can take a warm bath, if the water and mucous plug have not yet departed (after that, the bath is contraindicated, since water can introduce an infection). You can also shower (at home or in the hospital), directing the jet to the abdomen, lower back, shoulders.
- Movement and position. During contractions, it is better to be in an upright position. this way the baby’s head presses less on the small pelvis, the vessels are not pinched, and childbirth occurs faster. You can take any comfortable position that feels less painful, such as getting on all fours or knees with your hands on a bed or chair, or leaning against a wall or headboard while standing. You can hang on your husband or even on a rope.
- Psychological attitude. Try to see childbirth as more than just painful. Think that you will soon see your long-awaited baby and take him in your arms. If you are giving birth for the first time, learn more about the birth process in advance, which will help you to be less afraid. Fear causes the muscles to contract, which increases the pain. Chat with women who have fond memories of childbirth. Sign up for childbirth preparation courses. It’s good if these are courses at the maternity hospital in which you are going to give birth. Then you can get acquainted with doctors and obstetricians in advance.
- Smile. It is believed that the position of a woman’s lips affects the state of the cervix: if the mouth is relaxed, the cervix also stops tense.
In the article, you learned: how contractions begin before childbirth, what contractions are like before childbirth, and how to distinguish false contractions from real ones. We’ve also prepared a series of useful videos for your attention:
Signs before childbirth
About a day before the beginning of the contractions visible to the naked eye, more specific symptoms of an approaching event begin to appear. It is very important not to miss them and to provide the dog, especially giving birth for the first time, all the necessary conditions and moral support.
The day before the puppies appear:
- The animal begins to either absorb food with a huge appetite, trying to accumulate a supply of energy before an important event, or completely refuses to eat due to poor health.
- Diarrhea and vomiting may begin. The body is trying to get rid of excess filling that interferes with the passage through the birth canal.
- The temperature is dropping. Depending on the size of the animal, the measurements of the rectal thermometer may drop by several degrees. For giant and large breed dogs, the difference in readings is the smallest. On average, 37.37.5 degrees. In decorative and dwarf breeds, the temperature drops to 36-35 degrees. This is the surest harbinger of the onset of labor.
- Colostrum is secreted more actively.
- The loop relaxes and becomes soft.
- The dog spends all the time actively licking the genitals.
- A mucous protective plug comes out, which is a whitish or yellowish viscous liquid with greenish or brown blotches.
When all these signs appear, labor can be considered to have begun. It is very important to fix the time of all changes, as it will help to find out if everything is proceeding correctly and if help is needed. If, after a drop in temperature, contractions do not begin during the day, it is necessary to help start labor. This can only be done in a veterinary clinic by specialists; you cannot try to speed up the birth process at home on your own.
The first and foremost harbinger of an approaching relief from the burden is a sagging belly. As soon as it seems to you that the dog has lost weight, its spine will appear, which means that it will not be long to wait, 7-2 days.
Carefully observe your pet at this time, changes in behavior and physiological signs will tell you exactly the hour of the onset of labor:
- Abdominal prolapse due to relaxation of the abdominal and abdominal muscles.
- Fur faded from the abdomen around the nipples.
- Discoloration of the skin of the nipples, colostrum secretion in experienced bitches who have already given birth a few days before the onset of labor. The first time this may not happen, in young dogs milk begins to be released either right before childbirth, or right in the process of labor, so do not worry if it did not appear earlier.
- A drastic change in behavior. A few days before the onset of full-fledged contractions, intra-abdominal pressure gradually increases, which gives the dog unpleasant sensations. She may be passive and sleepy, or restlessly looking for a place to nest.
- Often bitches begin to gnaw everything that comes their way, thus trying to relieve internal psychological stress.
- The manifested desire to constantly be close to the owner, attempts to ask for something incomprehensible, periodic whine indicate that there are several days left.
- He constantly asks to go outside, but once he gets there, he immediately returns. The uterus presses on the bladder, therefore, the animal cannot resist for a long time from the administration of natural needs.
These signs appear about a week before the expected date and intensify as the day of birth approaches. As soon as you notice such manifestations, begin active preparation, rebuild your schedule, someone should always be with the animal to calm it down. The stress caused by fear of approaching or loneliness can greatly complicate labor and even interfere with it, thereby damaging the mother and children.
Agree with the veterinarian about a possible urgent call and prepare a place for the puppies and the necessary items and medicines to help your pet. Try to take into account all possible scenarios for the development of events.
How to understand that a dog is giving birth?
Childbirth is one of the most difficult and dangerous physiological processes in a dog’s life, so you need to treat them with care and responsibility, understand their mechanics, and be able to accept. This is especially true of bitches going through pregnancy for the first time, because they do not even understand what is happening to them and until the puppies are born they feel rather sick than carrying a new life.
The owner, who is experiencing such an exciting period in the life of a pet for the first time, needs to carefully prepare and responsibly approach the study of the issue in order to notice the first signs of an approaching birth and be able to provide the necessary assistance.
It is possible to understand that the most responsible and difficult stage has begun. contractions and the emergence of fruits outside, according to certain physiological signs that show the state of the animal. Any deviation from the norm at this point should be carefully recorded and recorded. Perhaps this will come in handy if you need an urgent surgical intervention.
To understand that contractions have begun is simple:
- The amniotic protective bladder breaks and water leaves. Most often it is this moment that inexperienced owners miss, since the yellowish cloudy liquid is too easy to confuse with urine and attributed to incontinence caused by a long period.
- The animal settles down in a prepared box, resting its back against one of the walls, and stretching its legs and leaning against the other wall.
- Breathing quickens, becomes intermittent.
- Heartbeat much higher than normal.
- The gaze gradually becomes defocused, as the dog is completely immersed in itself to experience the pain that it feels at this moment.
- If you put your hand on your stomach, you can feel contractions that occur in a certain sequence. The longer the process takes, the more often they will happen.
- The owner feels the seal that appears just above the hinge. If it is dense enough, then the first puppy is already on the way.
Be sure to mark the beginning of active contractions, as if they last longer than 2-2.5 hours, the dog is not allowed to carry the burden on its own. In this case, immediate veterinary assistance is needed. Delay often leads to the death of the fruit and even the pet itself.
Caring for your dog and puppies after childbirth
During and after childbirth, it is important to be close to the animal, carefully observing the process. This will help you not to miss the moment when the afterbirth begins to come out. Usually he comes out after each puppy or at the very end if the female was carrying 2-3 puppies. If the afterbirth remains and does not come out, contact the veterinarian.
First signs of going into labour. I think the puppies are coming today!
They try not to touch the pet once again, you can wait a little with changing the litter. And so that the puppies do not freeze on wet rags, they put clean things on top of the soiled things, without disturbing the dog. A bowl of clean water and light food (vegetables, a few pieces of rabbit meat) should be placed next to the box. When the bitch gets hungry she will eat herself.
If the animal does not stand up for a long time after giving birth, whines or tries to bite, it is better to call the veterinarian and find out from him how normal this condition is considered, whether recovery can be accelerated. Dogs usually recover from labor very quickly.
How long does a dog give birth
The duration of labor depends on the weight and size of the dog, the number of puppies, and the strength of its body. In the process of observing the birth of dogs, it was revealed that conditionally generic activity can be divided into 3 periods:
- Training. Waters drain, attempts begin. Contractions can last from 6 to 30 hours, intermittently.
- The birth of offspring. Puppies come head first at intervals of 10-15 minutes. Sometimes the dog gives birth on the first day, part of the puppies, while the rest appear only after a few hours or the next day.
- Postpartum activities. The uterus contracts and returns to normal within 1 to 2 weeks after delivery.
If we take into account the attempts and the very process of giving birth to each puppy with multiple pregnancies, then labor lasts an average of 12 to 30 hours.
Childbirth in a dog at home: signs of onset and process
On average, each bitch gives birth to 2-4 to 12-20 or more puppies per year. The first birth is not always safe and sometimes requires outside help (dog owner, veterinarian). But if the pregnancy is difficult, then it is better not to leave the dog alone in subsequent births. It is worth knowing how dogs make puppies, how to help a pet, how to prepare a place for a bitch.
Is there a difference between large and small breeds
In large breed dogs, pregnancy can often occur with all sorts of complications, many of which occur in the presence of a large number of puppies. These dogs have to help with childbirth, artificially stimulating them. Small breed pets often give birth without outside interference. The exception is large puppies and the presence of only 1-2 puppies in a litter. Normal, uncomplicated childbirth of a small dog (Pomeranian, Jack Russell Terrier, lapdog, York, Dachshund, Chihuahua) is faster.
Caring for young animals in the first minutes of life
The dog takes care of the offspring on its own, licking the puppies and pushing them to the nipples. But if she is weakened or does not know what to do due to the fact that she is giving birth for the first time (she refuses to recognize the puppies, she is afraid of them), a person can temporarily replace her:
- newborn puppies are taken out of the box;
- make sure they all breathe freely;
- wipe the wool with a soft cloth soaked in water;
- wipe dry with a towel;
- put on a dog’s nipples.
Important! The pet can behave aggressively, not allowing the puppy to pick it up. In such a situation, they simply install a heater next to the box so that wet puppies do not freeze.
How to tell if a dog has lost water
The main sign of the beginning of the generic process is the flowing away of the water and the onset of contractions. Shortly before the puppies are born, there may be a slight vaginal discharge. But usually the dog licks off all the secreted fluids and its owner does not notice anything. There is a lot of amniotic fluid, therefore it is difficult not to notice that they have departed. And yet, in order not to miss the moment, it is better to lay a light piece of fabric instead of the usual bedding.
The appearance of a large dark spot on a light background will indicate that the waters have left and labor has begun. Water does not necessarily drain just before the puppies appear. Sometimes there is an interval of 24-96 hours between the discharge of amniotic fluid and the first attempts.
Important! If, after 4 days after the water leaves, no contractions are observed, they urgently contact a specialist.
How to prepare for your pet’s upcoming labor
Nothing special is needed to give birth to a dog. For safety net you need to prepare:
- scissors or a sharp knife for cutting the umbilical cord;
- disinfectants. alcohol, brilliant green, iodine;
- a syringe with oxytocin (a drug to stimulate labor, it is administered in the absence of the prescribed contractions, the doctor must prescribe the medicine);
- suction to clear the respiratory tract of newborn puppies from mucus;
- thick and strong thread;
- synthomycin ointment (an antibacterial drug; the pharmacy sometimes offers medicines that may be called differently, but work the same);
- any remedy for stopping bleeding that can be purchased at a veterinary pharmacy;
- cotton wool.
Important! If the dog is extremely restless and in severe pain, pain relievers are given intramuscularly. Only the veterinarian prescribes it and determines the sequence of further actions, it is important to understand.
Features of feeding and caring for a dog before childbirth
A pregnant bitch should eat a balanced feed rich in vitamins and nutrients. About 1 to 2 weeks before giving birth, limit the amount of food that contains calcium. The animal is denied:
- milk and cottage cheese;
If the dog food contains soy, then you should not use it either. Instead, the animal is given fresh meat. beef, rabbit meat, boiled liver and heart. It is useful to feed your pet with vegetables. This can be pumpkin, zucchini, or carrots.
Important! To Replenish Omega-3 Fatty Acids Deficiencies, Omega-6s Provide Fish Oil.
Shortly before the expected birth, they begin to prepare a place for the dog.
Signs of the onset of labor
Signs of approaching clearance from the burden in the Husky are no different from most other breeds. They are pronounced and it is not difficult to notice them:
- The temperature drops by an average of 1 degree per day.
- Feeling the first contractions and understanding what lies ahead, the female refuses food and water in advance. You shouldn’t force-feed her in this case.
- Refuses to go outside, and when he leaves, he immediately asks to return.
- Puppies start to move noticeably.
- The belly drops lower, when looking from above it seems that the bitch has lost weight.
- The mammary glands of those who have already given birth greatly increase and begin to secrete colostrum.
- The animal is very worried and exhibits activity uncharacteristic of the last days. Often they require increased attention from the owner and are diligently looking for a place where it would be convenient for them to give birth.
- Trying to rip open the bedding to make a soft nest.
- Waves of trembling sweep through my body. Breathing becomes disordered and increasing in frequency.
The appearance of these symptoms means that the process has already begun. You need to quickly navigate, prepare a good place and the necessary tools and preparations.
For the first time
The first pregnancy and childbirth in a husky is significantly different from the subsequent ones. This is due to the genetic characteristics of the breed and the peculiar structure of the psyche.
For the first time, the bitch bears very few children. Usually the litter does not exceed 5 pieces. However, infertility is not an indicator of future prospects. Dogs that brought out 2-5 puppies for the first time often later easily gave birth at 8.10 or even more.
Keep in mind that the young mother does not quite understand what is happening to her and has no experience with offspring, so carefully monitor the behavior of the female.
At best, she will leave the fruits that have been born without attention, then you will have to independently carry out the necessary measures:
- Free the puppies from the bubble film by tearing it open with your fingernail in the area of the animal’s face.
- Use a gauze pad to remove mucus from your baby’s mouth and eyes so that he can breathe.
- Wipe your entire body with a soft cloth to cleanse it.
- Treat the umbilical cord. Move the blood closer to the abdomen and tear. If bleeding begins, tie the umbilical cord with disinfected special sutures.
- Help me find the nipple and take the first sip.
- Track how the mother reacts to her offspring to avoid disaster.
Those giving birth for the first time may try to cripple or even eat the puppies. This is due to the strong stress experienced by the dog and the lack of understanding of what is happening.
If you notice that the bitch is not acting suspiciously, just take the babies away for a few hours. As soon as the labor activity is completely completed, the dog will calm down, and then the hormones released into the blood will do their job, awakening the maternal instinct. For the first time, the owner will need to help with the search for the nipple, but then the female will cope on her own.
First week of life. How to properly care for puppies?
In the first weeks after birth, puppies mostly eat and sleep.
Around the 8th day, you need to trim your puppy’s nails for the first time, and then repeat the procedure every week. This should be done so that the baby does not scratch the delicate skin of the mother around the nipple while sucking milk. Cut off only sharp edges, so-called hook tips.
Newborns may develop health problems in the early days, so they need to be closely monitored. When intestinal infections appear in the bed, an unpleasant sour smell will appear, and yellow traces of the disorder will remain around the priests. Then weaker puppies can die literally on the first day.
Useful information: The main cause of infection can be inflammation of the navel stump. Bacteria can get in by gnawing and licking the umbilical cord by a bitch with bad teeth. For prevention, lubricate the stump with brilliant green several times a day.
How To Tell Your Female Dog Need A c-section Done
Babies open their eyes for the first time from the 11-15th day of life. The rumor appears a little later, on the 18th day. Normal body temperature for a newborn is 34.5-36 ° С.
The third week of babies’ lives is full of interesting events and new discoveries, since they are already beginning to walk and explore the territory not only in the bed, but also outside it. At this age, they already become very pretty, playful and active. They begin to get out of their corner and go to the toilet (tray, diaper or newspaper).
In the fourth week of life, the first teeth begin to erupt in puppies. Fangs come out first. This usually happens on days 21-25. As soon as the first teeth appear, it is allowed to start feeding the puppy. Over time, mother’s milk will gradually begin to disappear, so if the baby gets used to a different diet by then, it will not be stressful for him. First, give only special milk, and then, as you grow older, add other healthy foods to your diet.
When puberty occurs?
The puberty of dogs is determined by their ability to fertilize and bear offspring. At the same time, in a husky, the first heat does not always indicate full readiness for breeding. Early mating negatively affects the further development of the individual, inhibits its growth, and changes the psychological state. The time of puberty in males and bitches is different, which must be taken into account before choosing a partner.
A male enters puberty at about eight months, but sending a young dog on an intimate date at such an early age is not recommended. An early denouement has a number of negative factors:
- Possible physical developmental disorders, which include sagging back, insufficient muscle development, stunted growth.
- Little or no offspring due to low sperm motility. The younger the pet is, the more unproductive germ cells it has. over, the same individual, but at an older age, will give normal fertility.
- Drastic behavior change: the dog becomes uncontrollable, prone to escape and disobedience.
The optimal age for mating boys is from two years old, because at this time they are already gaining the necessary mass, all the necessary skills are being developed, and character is being established. A mentally mature dog will behave much more calmly and confidently with a girl, which guarantees an effective meeting.
The heat in a girl’s husky occurs at about 7-8 months, which is an undesirable age for conception. Physiologically, the pet is already able to bear puppies, but psychologically she is still a teenager and such a burden will heavily affect her condition. Among the main complications of early mating, it is worth noting:
- Negative effect on the bitch’s body, because of which she can stop growing, not gain the necessary mass.
- High probability of miscarriages, stillborn and weak puppies.
- Possibility of abandoning offspring, lack or complete absence of milk.
- Difficult traumatic childbirth, which often ends with a caesarean section.
It is necessary to plan a pregnancy for a husky no earlier than the third puddle, starting at about two years of age. Until this age, the girl must be constantly monitored to prevent unwanted mating.
Signals for the owner
By the end of the second month of pregnancy, the owners are supposed to be on their guard. How to understand that a dog is in labor? Veterinarians consider the following signs of the beginning of the process:
- a decrease in rectal temperature (35 degrees in small breeds, 37 in large breeds), and this happens a day before childbirth;
- relaxation of the muscles in the pelvic and abdominal region, which gives the impression of a “hanging” abdomen;
- change in the pet’s behavior: it becomes restless, the bitch hides and makes itself something like a nest, follows the owners, as if asking for something;
- loss of appetite, vomiting is possible;
- establishment of lactation;
- whitish, light gray discharge;
- shortness of breath, increased heart rate, chills.
Dog labor: the signs of onset and the process of labor should be under the full supervision of caring owners. Otherwise, complications are possible: endometritis, eclampsia.
How to induce labor in a dog? If prenatal signs appear and last more than 24 hours, and the dog has no contractions, you should immediately contact your veterinarian.
Attention! Self-help of the owners in this situation is undesirable.
How to tell if your husky is pregnant
The husky girl is a great master of concealing pregnancy. Sometimes even experienced breeders cannot tell from their dog that she is pregnant.
Signs that a husky dog is pregnant do not appear immediately, and this can only be judged indirectly.
If the husky conceived offspring, after 2-3 weeks, the following changes in her behavior and appearance can be noted:
- The girl refuses to eat, even her favorite treats. Loss of appetite may be associated with toxicosis.
- Previously playful dog shows apathy, sleeps more and plays little.
- If the husky has given birth before, then at the end of the second week of pregnancy, her nipples will begin to swell.
After 3 weeks from the moment of conception, the husky’s pregnancy becomes more obvious. The expectant mother does not feel well, she is overcome by toxicosis, vomiting may appear. A stringy discharge begins to appear from the loop, but without blood, transparent.
It is important to pay special attention to highlighting. Blood impurities indicate an imminent miscarriage, and unpleasant odors or staining in any color indicate an infection of the genital tract.
After 4-5 weeks, the signs of pregnancy are as follows:
- The belly of the dog becomes round, the sides noticeably expand.
- The fur around the nipples falls out to make it easier for the puppies to reach the milk.
- Appetite increases markedly.
- Husky gains weight at week 5.
After 8 weeks, the abdomen is clearly visible, it sags. The dog’s nipples are pretty swollen, colostrum can already be released from them.
With the help of palpation, it is possible to guess about the onset of pregnancy, but only a veterinarian or an experienced breeder should feel the dog’s tummy.
For an earlier diagnosis, the following methods are used:
- starting from the 21st day of mating, an analysis is taken to identify the hormone relaxin;
- from day 24 you can do an ultrasound of the uterus.
Earlier, it is not possible to find out about the pregnancy of the Siberian Husky breed. If the girl escaped from the house during estrus and the owner does not want future possible childbirth, the veterinarian may advise the introduction on the 7th day after the possible mating of the steroid hormone “Mesalina”.
But breeders unanimously insist that it is better for a dog to give birth than to terminate a pregnancy. “Mesalin” has many side effects, including failure in heat cycles, inflammation in the uterus, bleeding, and so on.
Puppy gender and diet
There is a lot of controversy about how certain feeding patterns of a bitch can affect the sex of the puppies. Supporters of this theory argue that if meat predominates in the bitch’s diet, more boys will be born, and if fermented milk products, more girls. This is justified by the fact that in the uterus and fallopian tubes from certain products, favorable conditions are created for the existence of spermatozoa “X” or “Y”. Everything is individual, there are only general principles and probabilities. It also happens that an undernourished homeless bitch gives birth to a litter of 10-15 puppies, and a well-groomed domestic one brings only 2-3. If you properly prepare the bitch for mating, ensure good nutrition and the absence of stressful situations during pregnancy, a multiple healthy litter is likely to be born.!
After the husky has safely given birth, there is a high likelihood of postpartum complications. In the following cases, you must call your veterinarian:
- not all the traces came out, but the attempts stopped;
- not all puppies were born, lumps are still felt, but the dog has stopped pushing;
- the dog continues to push, even though all the puppies have already been born;
- convulsions after childbirth;
- temperature increase;
- after childbirth, the dog’s gait is uncertain, clumsy, this may indicate a lack of calcium;
Pregnancy and childbirth in a husky, although little, still differ from other breeds. It is very important that the owner thinks over his decision to mate a dog well, because carrying babies and further care for them will spoil the exterior of the pet a little.
True, with proper postpartum care, after a couple of months, the husky will again become the same beauty, even better!