Do you timely vaccinate and treat parasites?
I don’t see the point in this, my cat has excellent immunity from nature
Apply to wet kitten fur. The advantage is the ability to practically not dry the skin, which is important for kittens under six months of age.
If the kitten is sick, be sure to consult your veterinarian about the possibility of bathing. Most likely, all bath procedures during this period will be prohibited.
When to bathe?
Nature has endowed cats with their own hygiene complex. The rough tongue of pussies does an excellent job of removing dirt and foreign odors from the fur coat of an animal, it brushes the fur, increasing its thermal insulating properties.
Interfering with this natural process means disrupting the natural protective layer of the skin and wool. They bathe the cat only when the animal cannot clean itself up on its own or as part of medical and prophylactic procedures.
- In case of heavy pollution: soot, oil, swamp mud, something that smells foul.
- If the animal is picked up from the street and it is heavily stained, infested with fleas.
- To the cats who returned from the street after the “sex hunt”.
- Hairless cat breeds. their body produces a lot of skin lubricant, which will give off an unpleasant odor if not washed off in time.
- Elderly and obese cats that cannot cleanse their own fur.
- Show-class animals that participate in exhibitions.
- Cats with parasitic diseases (fleas), ringworm. In this case, use special therapeutic and prophylactic agents.
- Long-haired breeds during molting. During moulting, more villi enter the stomach of cats. this can cause digestive problems, blockage of the intestines. Bathing will wash away dead hairs. the cat will swallow less wool, and the house will become cleaner.
Remember cats are not dogs, dog bathing advice should not be applied to cats.
The care line for kittens’ hair is presented in several versions. shampoos and conditioners for normal, dry, oily and damaged skin. Since kittens have softer skin and fluffier coats compared to adults, they need mild products.
By consistency, washing cosmetics is divided into 3 groups:
- Liquid. In this category are soap-based shampoos and conditioners. The most demanded.
- Powdered. Indispensable for pets afraid of water. Applying the cleansing powder is more laborious, but relieves the kitten of a stressful situation. Not suitable for animals with dark coats.
- In the form of sprays. Convenient spray allows for precise application of the product. Helps with partial bathing and for working with mats.
Dry shampoo can be made at home. To do this, mix in equal parts baby powder and cornstarch.
8in1 Waterless Cat Shampoo Spray is a popular waterless shampoo
Table 1. The best shampoos for bathing kittens
|Antiparasitic||“Disinfectant”, “Meadow”, “Celandine Tar”.|
|During molting||Yuup Restructuring and Strengthening, Tropiclean.|
|Dry||Trixie Trocken Shampoo, Mr. Gee.|
|From tangles||Spray FURminator from mats, Perfect Coat Shed Control and Hairball.|
|Caregivers||Iv San Bernard Antistatic, “Delicate”, Artero 4Cats, “Marine”, “Velvet”, Artero Basic.|
|To add volume||Anju beaute texture volume.|
For Siamese kittens, the use of volumetric products is not recommended.
- When choosing detergents, consider the type and color of the coat, as well as the condition of the skin.
- Shampoos for long-haired kittens are not suitable for pets with short hair and the presence of an undercoat.
- Detergents have different PH levels, which directly affect the silky and well-groomed coat. If for humans they are designed for an acid-base balance of 3.5 to 4.5 units, then cats need to look for products with a pH of 6.5.
- It is preferable to buy concentrated shampoos. They are more expensive than conventional ones, but they have a more economical consumption.
- Herbal shampoos are not suitable for silver, white and blue kittens.
- Siamese and Abyssinian babies are not recommended to use care products to create volume.
- You need to purchase specialized products designed for cats or for cats and dogs. The use of exclusively dog shampoos is possible only before participating in exhibitions.
- Most detergents need to be left on the coat for up to 7 minutes. This is especially true of medicinal products.
- It is not advisable to use 2 in 1 conditioner shampoos.
- Human cosmetics are not suitable for kittens as they kill the skin’s defenses.
The best conditioners for bathing babies are considered to be products released by Tropiclean and Iv San Bernard.
Iv San Bernard is a popular Italian brand among groomers
Suitable for pets who are afraid of water. Such funds are not related to the bathing procedure. Spray in the form of a powder is applied to the dry coat, which is combed out immediately. Faded hairs remain on the comb along with dirt.
Recommended for animals over 3 months old.
Tutorial: How to get a Cat used to Water/a Bath (no Stress/Forcing) Part 1: Water till Belly
At what age can you bathe
When it became clear whether it was possible to wash the kitten, you need to deal with other points. Another important question that many owners ask is from how many months you can bathe a kitten.
People who breed cats are advised to start bathing small kittens at 1 month old. However, this is how animals are looked after, which will be prepared for sale or for exhibitions. A regular pet is allowed to be bathed at 3 months.
However, veterinarians advise you to postpone water procedures until 5-6 months of age. You can start bathing your kitten between one month and six months from birth.
It is important to remember that you can not delay with water procedures. It’s easier to train an animal at an early age than trying to get an adult cat to wash. Knowing when to bathe your kitten makes it easy to avoid health problems.
How to bathe a little kitten
How to bathe kittens. this question worries many owners who have just taken the animal into the house. However, not all owners wash their pets, despite the fact that this procedure is very important. When it comes to cats, many are afraid to bathe them due to the possibility of a negative reaction to the water. The owners are afraid to harm the kitten.
How to train a kitten to swim
To teach an animal to swim, it is advisable to do it from childhood. In order for the kitten to get used to the water and to washing, one must not forget about the duration of the bath. You can train your pet to the bathroom by pouring a small amount of water or using a weak shower pressure.
You should also train the cat by simultaneously calming and stroking it. If he is very afraid of bathing, you can use special wipes for animals, with which you can remove dirt and clean wool.
Getting used to water procedures is a difficult process that requires patience, calmness and perseverance. Far from every pet loves to wash, however, if this happens, you need to turn bathing into a game.
Why are kittens washed
In addition to the question of whether it is possible to bathe a kitten, owners often wonder if it is necessary to do it. To understand the importance of this procedure, you need to know the reasons why it is worth bathing the animal:
Pets that do not go outside can be bathed once a month. The owner does not need to perform this procedure more often, as the pet independently maintains hygiene by licking the fur.
How often can you wash
Also, new owners need to know how often they need to bathe their kitten. There are several opinions on this issue from experienced veterinarians and breeders. One most of the experts say that you need to wash your pet no more than once every three months. They reinforce this by the fact that during water procedures, the fat layer is washed off the skin.
Veterinarians advise to bathe kittens that walk on the street once a month, and those that are constantly at home. once every 6 months. After vaccination, you can carry out water procedures only after 2 weeks.
Wash your cat with your hands to control the temperature of the water. In addition, the animal will feel more confident in the hands of the owner. Do not bathe a cat with a leather collar on; when washing, the cat may catch on it.
If the cat gets too nervous while washing, stop and continue next time. It is better to slowly but surely accustom the animal to bathing than to scare it once and for a long time.
It is better to wipe the face with a damp sponge without using shampoo.
How to wash a cat?
If among dogs there are many breeds that are not only not afraid of water, but also adore it, then in cats this is a great rarity. Most often, they experience panic about bathing and express dissatisfaction with this process in every possible way. Therefore, the question arises: how to bathe a cat if she is afraid of water?
Of course, the cat needs to be washed much less often than the dog. Healthy domestic cats often lick themselves, so it is worth washing them only after a walk in case of heavy pollution, as well as before animal shows. Bathing a cat just like that every day so that the coat smells delicious with shampoo is very harmful: the protective function of the skin weakens.
Be sure to dry your cat with a towel or hair dryer. Usually animals are afraid of the hair dryer, so the first option is preferable. Kittens and older cats do not regulate body temperature well and can easily catch colds, so make sure that there are no drafts in the house. At the end of all procedures, give a piece of food to the cat and praise her so that she knows that everything ends well and tasty, or just do not bother her for a while.
How to accustom your cat to water and bathing so that he is not afraid to wash in the bath?
It just so happens that 80% of cats hate bathing, and 20% are forced to endure it. It is believed that Sphynxes, Bobtails, Abyssinians and representatives of some other breeds are loyal to water procedures, and the rest of the cats try to escape, scratching and biting the owner. Unfortunately, cats themselves are not able to cope with all the pollution, it is sometimes necessary to bathe them. However, this procedure should be tried to be turned into a game in order to eliminate battle scars in humans and reduce the possibility of stress in the pet to zero.
How to teach an adult animal to wash in a bath?
Sometimes an adult animal has to be taught to wash, for example, if a person has sheltered a stray cat. This is a difficult process, since the new ward has already formed a character, and water procedures will be new to him. In this case, you need to try to switch the pet’s attention from the water to something interesting. It is necessary to teach the animal to swim without stress for him and the owner gradually:
- If the cat does not want to be in the bathroom, it should be taught to willingly go there with the help of treats and toys. They do the same when the animal does not like the sound of water flowing out of the tap.
- It is also necessary to train your pet to stay calmly in a bathing container using toys and games. To begin with, it is better not to pour water into it or draw it to a level of 1-2 cm.
- For stability and comfort of the cat, you need to put a rubber mat or towel on the bottom of the tub or basin.
- It is important to ensure that the pet can freely leave the bathing container as desired. This will make him more confident and will not feel trapped.
- It is necessary to observe what objects or actions accompanying bathing cause rejection in the animal. They need to be eliminated or the pet should gradually get used to them.
- Pet should be praised, stroked and rewarded for showing interest in water play or bathing.
- Good lighting is an important factor in creating a favorable bathing environment. Lack of light can be stressful.
Why many are afraid of water?
Cats are afraid to swim not because of a specific nature, but out of instinctive fear. Zoologists came to the conclusion that representatives of the feline family refuse to use water procedures for quite rational reasons:
- Risk of overheating or hypothermia. There is an air gap between the pet’s fur coat and the skin, which allows you to adjust the temperature. Wet wool loses this property and is unable to protect the animal from either heat or cold. Felines do not know how to quickly cool down or warm up, they do not shake themselves after bathing and do not travel great distances to dry themselves in the process.
- Lack of disguise. Wet wool gives off a pungent odor, which is associated with an increase in body temperature when it dries. The cat will not be able to hunt, because the rodent will hear the smell of a predator from a distance and will hide or bypass the dangerous place. In this case, the procedure is tantamount to an unsuccessful hunt and subsequent hunger.
- Fear of a surprise attack. Cats fear that during the water procedures they may be attacked by predators or large birds. In water, a small animal is vulnerable, but on land, the danger is increased by the increasing odor emanating from wet wool. In addition, the cat concentrates heavily on licking its fur coat, so it may not hear the attacker.
Pets resist bathing because their coat gets wet quickly and shampoo dries out their skin. In nature, a wild cat will decide to get into the water just to save its life. Tigers and other large felines are an exception: they normally tolerate water procedures due to the water-repellent properties of their wool and the ability to shake off.
How to bathe a kitten so that he is not afraid?
To teach your pet to bathe, it is better to start the procedures from an early age. At 2 months, the baby can be bathed for the first time (without using shampoo), but veterinarians advise to postpone this manipulation until 4 months. Bathing a very tiny baby will wash off the postpartum lubricant that protects him from infections. It can also overpower the natural smell of the kitten, and the cat will refuse it.
At 3-4 months, as a rule, the baby is weaned from the mother, so he can more easily endure the stress of immersion in water. Not every animal is able to get used to washing, but the owner must be patient and follow the basic recommendations:
- To acquaint the kitten with the pelvis. it should not cause fear in him. The baby should be placed in a container before pouring water into it. Let the pet sit in it, smell it, get used to it.
- The animal is taken out of the basin, water is poured at a temperature of 38–40 ° C to a depth of 5–7 cm. The pet is placed in water, firmly held by the hand and talked to him in a calm, even voice.
- The kitten’s head is quickly wetted, making sure that no liquid gets into the ears and nose. The shampoo is thoroughly washed off, as its residues on the coat can harm the animal. The procedure time should be kept to a minimum. In the process, the pet is stroked to calm down.
What not to do when accustoming your pet to water?
Some actions of the owners can lead to the fact that the animal will get stress from bathing and subsequent attempts to wash will become impossible. The main mistakes when accustoming a cat to water procedures:
- It is not recommended to wash the kitten in the bathroom, it is better to use a basin. A small plastic container with low walls will normally be accepted by the animal. At the sight of the high sides of the bath and the incoming water, his instinctive fear of drowning turns on, so a small basin is preferable.
- Do not turn on the tap at full power or raise the shower head too high above the animal. Drops falling and scattering in all directions cause anxiety and discomfort.
- It is forbidden to plug the ears of the pet with cotton, as it can provoke irritation.
- Battering and screaming are the worst things you can use to hold your pet. The cat will associate the procedure with pain and fear.
- Do not tie the cat while bathing. If she panics, she can hurt herself by trying to jump out and get rid of the collar or leash.
- The animal should not be washed in too hot or cold water.
- The sooner the procedure ends, the better.
How to train a kitten to swim. rules of water procedures for a baby
If you want to accustom your cat to water, it is recommended to do this from a young age. Animals have developed a persistent dislike for the adoption of water procedures; it is impossible to force a pet to bathe on its own. But there are a number of methods and recommendations for successful bathing. Little kittens can be taught not just to wash in water, but to full-fledged swimming in the bathroom.
Rules for the adoption of water procedures
For hygiene procedures, only specialized cleansers are used.
For bathing, you will need the following items:
- 2 containers with water;
- thermometer for measuring water temperature;
- several towels;
- special shampoos. liquid or dry;
- air conditioner (if necessary);
- sponge or small bucket;
- gloves for hands;
- robe or overalls.
Why is the cat afraid to swim?
Fear of water is an instinctive fear. In natural conditions, wild cats will only get into the water if their life is in serious danger in order to survive. But there is an exception to the rule. tigers. They are considered good swimmers and can fish, easily tolerate water procedures because of the wool, it repels water. Domestic cats generally do not like to swim, some tolerate peacefully, others scratch, meow hysterically, try to escape. It is believed that washing, especially with shampoo, can dry out the delicate skin of pets. So, the real fear of pets leads to stress and resentment towards the owners.
Cat breeders with extensive experience clearly believe that pets should be bathed in such cases:
- in the presence of parasites, fleas, ticks in the coat;
- if serious contamination has appeared;
- as a means of prevention;
- during molting.
During the change of wool, water procedures are required.
Cats shed periodically. At the time when the animal licks its own wool, dirt and microbes enter the body with saliva. During the shedding period, the amount of wool increases and it is difficult for the pet to cope with its natural withdrawal. Thus, the digestive system of the pet is the first to suffer. To avoid this problem, it is recommended to combine the molting period with bathing the cat.
How to teach to swim?
To teach a kitten to take water procedures, 2 containers are taken, one is completely filled with water, the other is 5 centimeters. The temperature regime should be comfortable for the animal, 38-39 degrees. It is recommended to wear latex or rubber gloves and additional clothing on your hands in case the cat gets scratched. Place rags or a cloth on the bathroom floor to prevent slipping when splashing water. If the kitten starts to get nervous, you should calm it down, pick it up, pet it. Gently put the cat in a bowl with less water and slowly water the pet, starting from the back and lastly moving to the neck, you do not need to wash the ears and muzzle.
To calm your cat, you can put your favorite toys in the bathroom. Then, if necessary, apply a special shampoo and comb the hair with a comb-comb. Then you need to thoroughly wash off the foam from the wool cover. If the kitten breaks loose, it is recommended to gently, without screaming, rough movements and without using force to hold it by the paws or withers. At the end of bathing, it is recommended to blot the pet with a soft terry towel and hold it on your hands for 10-15 minutes. The bathing procedure should be repeated once a month or as soon as it becomes heavily soiled, because water can wash off the protective fat layer.
Do not tie your pet during the washing period. In case of panic attacks, the cat is able to harm itself with a collar or leash.
There must be a firm grip when holding the animal in the bathroom. Correctly grab the withers crease and avoid areas near the belly. So, the pet is able to instinctively attack with its hind legs. If he is overwhelmed by panic and fear, it is recommended to wrap the kitten in a towel and leave the bathroom. If there is foam on the coat, remove it with a damp cloth and comb the animal.
Preparation for bathing
Half of the success is high-quality preparation, especially when it comes to training an adult cat that has not yet experienced the “joys” of water procedures. You will need:
How to wash a Kitten without making it to scared
- 2 shallow but wide water basins.
- Comb with large, rounded teeth.
- Capacity for pouring up to 250 ml in volume.
- Large bedspreads or sheets.
- Several thin and one bath towel.
- Gloves and thick clothing that protects the body.
- Thermometer for water.
- Shampoo, if necessary.
- It is very good if there is a “second pair of hands” to help.
Important! The cat should not be tied up while bathing. If your pet panics, it could injure itself with the collar or leash.
How to train your cat to water. Practical advice
Born to kill, survive, fight for territory, wild cats were domesticated and experienced all the “charm” of civilized life. If you don’t bathe your cat, will it be dirty? No, this is not a stupid question, think about it. Yes, the pet needs to be bathed when it got into something that can be toxic when licked, “picked up” parasites, before the show, this is a good reason. How to accustom a cat to water, at what temperature to bathe and what to prepare for?
“Tactics” for training a cat to the bathroom
Before you teach your cat not to be afraid of water, you need to overcome all the accompanying uncomfortable moments. Bring the animal to the bathroom on your hands, if the cat does not strain, try opening the water for a while. Calm down the ward, make it clear that he is protected, but be prepared, the sound of flowing water can plunge the cat into panic.
Try to put the animal in a dry bath, most likely, the pet will immediately escape, but this is only the first stage. Agree with your pet, do not try to wet the fur or make the cat not be afraid, forcing events will only add to the hassle. Gradually, patiently, agreeing to the conditions of the animal and only so!
Important! Bathroom lighting is a separate topic. It has been established that animals experience fear if there is not enough light in the room. Change your light bulbs to brighter ones or install an extra light above the bathroom for the duration of your study.
Naturally, it is easier to accustom a kitten to water, a crumb who unconditionally trusts you will put up with it, or at least will tolerate water procedures after 3-4 “training swims”. It is difficult to train an adult cat, sometimes impossible. If the pet does not walk on the street, it is easier to redeem him quickly than torment him with months of training.
Why cats don’t like water?
No, this is not a whim and not a flaw in character, but an instinctive fear. In nature, a wild cat will climb into the water, guided solely by the instincts of survival. There are exceptions, for example, tigers. swimmers and fishermen, who calmly endure water procedures due to the water-repellent structure of the wool cover. It just so happens that more than 80% of domestic cats hate bathing, and the remaining 20% tolerate it. From the point of view of cat psychology, murmurs do not like water because their fur gets wet quickly, and water, especially with shampoo, dries out delicate skin.
If you are hoping to “twist” the pet and redeem “somehow”. leave the illusion, without washing the coat, you risk the health of the ward. In addition, true fear provokes animals to desperate actions, fighting charms and torn clothes are provided for you, and after that, wet slippers and ripped wallpaper as moral compensation for “outrage”.
How to train your cat to bathe without unnecessary stress
Note! The smell of catnip helps your pet relax, but don’t get carried away! A surge of tenderness and calmness is associated with intoxication in the literal sense of the word.
A few words about exactly how to hold the cat. Your grip should be strong, because you will have to hold the pet with one hand. Grab the skin fold on the withers of the animal, instinctively, the cat will calm down a little. Try to avoid the area under the belly. a comfortable position to attack with the hind legs.
If the animal is in a panic, lift it, holding it by the skin at the withers, wrap it in a towel and take it out of the bathroom. Even if there is foam on the pet. act, the cat must be sure that you will come to the rescue at the right time. Foam residues can be removed with a damp towel, but trust is not easy to restore.