Education and training of an adult dog
Many novice dog breeders are interested in whether to buy an adult dog. In this regard, many questions arise regarding dog training and education, socialization and adaptation of adult dogs in a new home.
Of course, raising an adult dog is more difficult than raising a puppy. However, this process should not be considered too troublesome or almost impossible. Taking an adult dog from a shelter or due to circumstances left without its previous owners is a good thing, and you should not be afraid that teaching such dogs obedience will take all your strength.
Below you will find answers to the most common questions about how to domesticate an adult dog and socialize an adult dog in a new home. You will be offered dog training as well as advice on how to raise an adult dog.
An adult dog in a new home: pros and cons
There are pros and cons to keeping an adult dog in a new home. First of all, decide if you need an adult dog. Of course, she has a number of advantages over a puppy: a well-bred dog does not have to be taught to be clean, it will not ruin furniture, shoes, wallpaper and laminate, and will not bother you at night. However, do not forget that the animal may not be raised the way you want. Prepare for the fact that your new adult family member will not be perfect: it is heavier than a puppy, he will endure a change of scenery and will not immediately recognize you as a leader.
At first, he will be afraid of the new home and, despite the daily walks, go to the toilet, anywhere. In addition, the dog can withdraw into himself and become depressed.
Be sure to find out why the previous owners are giving or selling an adult dog. It is possible that the dog has health or mental problems that are invisible at first glance. Have a specialist examine the animal carefully and examine its veterinary passport.
Another disadvantage of acquiring an adult dog is its established habits, character. She may be afraid of firecrackers, fireworks, thunder, and other strong sound or light stimuli.
If you decide to take an adult dog, you must be absolutely clear about all the possible problems that may arise in this case. You are ready to be patient and come to terms (within reasonable limits) with the habits of an adult dog?
If you want to take a dog from the street, know: many dogs really want to get into a new family, to find a reliable and fair friend. Such animals demonstrate in every possible way how pleasant it is for them to communicate with you: they run after them, flatter. As a rule, street mongrels take on the role of a companion dog faster than their purebred counterparts.
Remember that in the beginning you will be a stranger to the dog, and it depends only on you whether she will respect you. Try to calmly, without breakdowns and stress, adjust the behavior of the dog for yourself and your lifestyle for him.
However, at times, stray animals behave aggressively, pinch their ears, growl, tilt their heads forward, bark and even try to pounce. Such actions can be demonstrated not only by a large dog, but also by a very small mongrel. Even if your heart squeezes from pity, a dog that is aggressive towards you (provided that you do not threaten it, do not tease or provoke it) should never be taken into the house! The best advice on how to socialize an adult dog in a new home, raise and train it, can only be given by professional dog handlers or experienced owners.
If you do bring a dog into the house from the street, first carefully examine it and immediately show it to the veterinarian. After the examination, if everything is in order, wash the dog, treat it with a drug against external parasites, get rid of worms.
How to tame an adult dog in a new home
Will an adult dog be able to get used to a new owner? One of the main reasons why novice dog breeders acquire puppies is that it is much easier for a baby than for an adult animal to get used to a new owner, his lifestyle and needs. Indeed, the younger the dog, the easier it is to educate and accustom him to new conditions. Taking care of a puppy, you get incomparable positive emotions associated with its growth, development and education. Of course, there will be many difficulties associated with caring for a baby. However, all the good that you put into your pet will be rewarded a hundredfold after a while.
As for getting used to new owners of an adult dog, there is no single answer. However, remember: your concern and desire to help your four-legged friend will not go unanswered.
How long does it take for a dog to get used to a new family? Everything here is very individual: one dog will be able to get used to a new home quite quickly, while the other will take much longer. We can say for sure: the younger the pet, the faster and easier it will adapt. Animals with a weak nervous system and cowardly by nature usually take a long time to get used to the new environment. The older the dog, the more stable character it has and the longer it takes to adapt to unfamiliar conditions. Only after the adaptation of the pet can you start raising and training the dog.
Would an adult dog be dangerous for the new owner and his family members? How will she behave in the future and how to teach an adult dog to obey? It is rather difficult to predict the behavior of an adult dog in a new family. Sometimes a person brings a dog found on the street into the house. For several weeks, the animal behaves relatively well: it shows friendliness towards household members, demonstrates gratitude, then, having finally got used to it, begins to rigidly dictate its terms and terrorize the new owner and his family members. It becomes impossible to live with such a dog, and sometimes even dangerous.
Quite often, a dog from the street quickly gets used to the new owner, does not cause any inconvenience and behaves like a well-mannered and full-fledged member of the family.
As numerous examples show, first of all aggressive dogs are thrown into the street, then cowardly and nervous ones. Do not forget that in both cases we are talking about mental disorders in the animal.
How to socialize an adult dog: familiarity, behavior options
Acquaintance with an adult dog should be friendly and calm, regardless of whether it is a mongrel or a purebred dog, small or large. First, figure out how the animal reacts to you. Everything should be peaceful, without aggression and anger. Now you can get acquainted.
When getting closer, do not try to pet the dog right away. Perhaps an adult dog will not notice you at all and will go to his place or to the aviary. This is normal for the initial stage of addiction, but only if there is no obvious aggression or panic. Try to sit down and call the dog to you by calling its name or showing it a treat or toy. It is best if she fits herself. As long as the animal does not wag its tail in response to warm words, indicating that you are not dangerous, do not stroke it. Calmly stretch your open palm forward, let the dog reach out and sniff it. After that, try to pet the animal, but not from above on the head, but from below under the jaw, scratch the neck or muzzle from the side.
If the animal reacts aggressively, cannot calm down, does not make contact, do not take it, even if the owner refuses money and assures that usually the dog does not behave this way.
Any dog is peculiar and unique in its own way. However, there are common behaviors for dogs.
When a cowardly dog meets, it bends to the floor, tucking its ears and tail, whining, trying to jump to the side or even run away. Such a dog is difficult to adapt, is afraid of a loud voice and harsh sounds, strangers, other animals and unusual objects. If you are lucky, the dog will soon calm down a little, but in a critical situation cowardice can appear again.
A cowardly-aggressive dog has all of the above signs, sometimes pounces, barks loudly, tries to attack and immediately rebounds with fright. In a state of panic, it can become almost uncontrollable, not responding to commands, seriously injuring a weak or frightened person. If someone gives a tangible rebuff, the animal runs away screeching.
A dominant aggressive dog, it happens, attacks without warning, silently, actively, often fights with other animals, can bite a stranger for a walk without reason. It is difficult to care for such a dog, he simply will not perceive your actions. Only an instructor-cynologist or even a zoopsychologist can accustom him to the new order. But still, in our opinion, this animal should be abandoned.
A mentally adequate dog, upon meeting, will either not pay attention to you, or will show some calm interest: it will come up, quietly sniff, let itself be stroked. With further proper handling of such an animal, there should be no problems.
If you buy a dog from the owner, ask him for all the dog’s equipment, toys, bowls and even bedding. this will make the animal much easier to get used to the new conditions. If you decide to take a dog off the street, be sure to take care of everything necessary for it.
Your task is to immediately establish strict rules and strictly follow them in the future. This will help the pet to quickly respect you as a leader-owner and take its place in the family.
Whether to take an adult sick dog?
Often, out of pity, people take a wounded or crippled dog to their home. Such an act is certainly worthy of deep respect. If you want to take an adult sick dog, you must have certain skills in communicating with animals and providing first aid to them. If you do not have such experience, it is better to entrust the care of the dog to a veterinarian, and then try to define it in good and, most importantly, skillful hands.
Very often, new owners do not suspect that contact with stray dogs can pose a serious danger not only to them, but also to those around them: such animals are often carriers of various diseases. In addition, a stray dog may have a bad temper and it will be extremely difficult to re-educate him (if at all possible, because the character and habits have already been formed in adulthood). Remember: a sick or crippled dog sometimes has to be treated constantly, so seriously consider whether you are ready for such sacrifices.
How to distinguish an abandoned dog from a lost one? The lost dog is easy to recognize. See if she’s wearing a dog tag collar. If nothing like that, check for a mark in the ear or groin (in purebred dogs) or a chip (many animals, especially valuable and rare breeds, are chipped). If you happen to come across a dog with these signs, try to return it to its owner. If you have a stamp, contact the kennel club, chipa. to the veterinary clinic.
Sometimes a dog has only a collar and it is clearly visible that it is domestic (clean hair, eyes and ears, well-bred, perhaps even fulfills some commands).
Post announcements about the find within a radius of 0.5-1 km from your home, write on the Internet, call dog clubs and dog trainers.
Obedience training for an adult dog (c)
How well can you train and obey an adult dog? No one can guarantee that an adult dog will successfully complete the training course and become a good friend and helper for you and your family. The fact is that traditional training courses are designed mainly for animals under the age of one year.
In order for a dog to become educated and obedient, it needs to attend special classes. There she will master the primary commands: “You can’t!”, “Come to me!”, “Walk!”, “Near!”, “Place!”, “Sit!”, “Lie down!”, “Stand!” and etc.
However, the dog should not just learn how to perform the listed actions. his further behavior and character completely depend on your constant work with him.
Training and Teaching Commands for Dogs
As you get used to your new home, try to create a calm environment. Do not invite guests, do not turn on loud music, etc. Let the dog calmly settle down, try not to leave him alone for a long time. In this case, do not impose communication on the dog and ask the rest of the family about it. Many street dogs taken into the house find it very difficult to be locked up for a long time, as they are used to constantly moving. You will have to take a long and active walk so that the dog can run freely with other dogs and relieve the stress of restricting freedom. It is on the street that you start giving commands for dog training. Start with basic commands and increase the challenge as you master.
Although the dog is getting used to the new environment, start parenting from the very first day. In no case forgive her flaws and various pranks, even small ones, making allowances for the fact that the animal is stressed.
The most important thing in the process of training and teaching the dog commands is your love, affection and patience. Do not rush and do not expect that the dog will fall in love with the whole family from the very first day in the house, will accept your rules in full. Be patient. this will take some time. To raise a dog taken from the street, it will take several times more goodwill. Don’t be discouraged if something doesn’t work out right away, and don’t give up. After all, now a happy time has come for both of you: a real, beloved, best owner has finally appeared in the life of a dog, and next to you is the most beautiful four-legged friend.
At what age to train a dog
Not all dogs like wearing a muzzle and requires gradual getting used to the accessory. You can start accustoming your puppy to the muzzle when your pet reaches 5-6 months. This is the most optimal age, but it is a mistake to believe that an adult dog will be more difficult to train to wear it. The training methods for puppies and older dogs do not make any difference and can be used for a pet of any age.
How to train your dog to muzzle quickly and effectively? He should cause only positive emotions and associations with his favorite pastime in the pet. Almost all dogs love walking. Try to form a strong bond in your pet between putting on the muzzle and following the walk. But don’t be in a hurry. First, allow your dog to familiarize themselves with the harness, sniff and inspect it thoroughly. Repeat the action before each walk, reinforcing the habit.
The most common mistakes owners make:
- Withdrawal “on demand”. when the dog tries to get rid of it on its own;
- Using an uncomfortable model or the wrong size of ammunition;
- Inconsistency of actions during training;
- Formation of negative attitudes. putting on a muzzle before an unpleasant or painful procedure, as a punishment.
How to put on and when to take off
You should train your dog to muzzle gradually, day after day, allowing the animal to get used to the unknown object. As in any training, a strict sequence of actions is required, the formation of positive associations and the consolidation of the result.
How to choose ammunition
When choosing such an important thing for your pet, you must be guided first by its safety and convenience:
- Plastic muzzles are convenient for training, but break quickly and are not suitable for cold or too hot weather;
- Metal muzzles are not suitable for use in the cold season, may chafe or be too heavy for the pet;
- A continuous muzzle made of synthetic materials or tarpaulin can chafe, make it difficult to breathe normally, in hot weather violates thermoregulation (the dog cannot breathe normally and open its mouth), are not suitable for training;
- Preference should be given to light, durable products made from strips of genuine leather in the form of a lattice, which allow you to breathe normally, take a treat during training.
To find the optimal size, the ammunition must not be too large or cramped. It’s good if there is an opportunity to try on several different ones just before buying.
What breeds is a muzzle required
There is a list of potentially dangerous breeds for which wearing a muzzle is mandatory, regardless of the owner’s wishes. Without it, dogs can be exclusively in a closed area belonging directly to the owner of the animal. At the same time, there must be a warning sign indicating the presence of a dangerous dog behind the fence. The Law “On Responsible Treatment of Animals” included in the list of dangerous breeds:
- American Bandoggy Mastiff;
- American Bulldog;
- Bully Kutta (Indian or Pakistani Mastiff);
- Brazilian Bulldog (campeiro);
- Pakistani Bulldog (ghoul dong);
- North Caucasian dogs (Caucasian, Central Asian shepherd dog);
- Wolf-dog hybrids (Czechoslovakian wolfdog, Saarloos wolfdog, Kunming shepherd dog);
- Turkish Akbash;
- Alapakha Bulldog;
- Mestizos and hybrids of the above breeds, aboriginal breeds and those involved in persecution.
This list does not absolve the owners of all other dogs that may harm humans or other animals.
What to do if your dog doesn’t like the muzzle
At first, the dog may be nervous, whine, and try to remove the muzzle on its own. The main thing in this case is not to indulge her. Show endurance and patience, try to distract your pet with a game, let go of the run. Do not encourage this behavior and never remove your muzzle. Only when the dog is distracted and calmed down can the ammunition be removed from it. Remember to treat and praise your pet for good behavior and patience.
Acquaintance with a new accessory
Use your favorite food or treat for your pet’s first encounter with the scary subject. Before feeding, place a small amount of food or any other food in the muzzle and invite your dog to get it. The first time, put the tidbit on the very edge, and then each time deeper, until the dog shoves his muzzle completely into it. Repeat the action until the dog is no longer afraid of the muzzle, and only then try to fasten it. Leave the muzzle on the dog for a short time.
When the dog ceases to be afraid to put on the muzzle, it will allow you to do it without bait in it. be sure to praise it and treat it to something tasty. Increase the time between putting on and treating little by little. This will allow you to soon give up food rewards altogether.
A positive reaction to the muzzle can be developed by throwing a piece of treat into it. Having eaten it out of such an unusual “bowl”, the dog after a few sessions begins to happily wag its tail at the sight of an accessory. Going for a walk, it is recommended to carry the ammunition in your hand for the first time, not allowing your pet to play with it.
Large breeds are taught to muzzle from 6 months. It is necessary that wearing it was associated only with positive and joyful emotions. The pet quickly realizes that this is a temporary measure, after which a reward awaits him. You need to praise and treat the puppy every time he successfully coped with the task. If we fail, we simply ignore it. During the period of accustoming to the muzzle, you must not allow it to be used when visiting a veterinarian, performing any procedures that cause discomfort or pain.
How to train your dog to muzzle
How to train a dog to muzzle is a challenge facing every owner. This accessory is required when you appear with your pet in public places during veterinary procedures. Mistakes in putting on any new items are often stressful for the dog. Therefore, accustoming to wearing ammunition should be carried out correctly and gradually.
Choosing the right accessory
First of all, when choosing an accessory, its purpose is taken into account. it will be used to ensure the safety of others or in order to wean you from picking food from the ground. Depending on this, attention is paid to the degree of openness of the product. The material used for the manufacture of the accessory is of great importance.
- Metallic mesh. This is one of the more durable options. The disadvantage is the bruises on the owner’s body, received from the blow during the game with the dog. In addition, a metal accessory cannot be worn in cold weather.
- Leather. The main advantages are convenience and safety. In hot weather, too closed can make it difficult to breathe, hindering cooling.
- Plastic. lightweight, comfortable. Suitable for training. Disadvantage. breaks down quickly, rubs the face with daily use.
- Nylon. Soft enough, strong, especially suitable for small breeds.
An important condition is that the dog in the muzzle is comfortable. It should not rub, squeeze, make it difficult for the pet to breathe.
The main stages of training
If a puppy is able to master wearing a muzzle in a week, then in the case of an adult pet, more patience will be required. This will take at least 3 weeks. The main stages of training an adult dog:
- Allow the dog to sniff the equipment and allow him to make sure that no threat comes from this item. As soon as the pet loses interest in him. give a treat.
- Place a treat in the muzzle, allowing the dog to take it. He will inevitably have to shove his muzzle inside. You cannot put on an accessory at this moment, you need to wait for the pet to free itself from it.
- As soon as the dog lingers in the muzzle for 2 seconds, you need to give a treat. Then she is treated to a muzzled period of time. Finding that this period is more than 7 seconds, you need to snap the clasp and immediately unfasten it. This maneuver is repeated several times until the dog starts to ignore the clipping of the buckle. After that, the period of wearing ammunition should be increased, be sure to treat the pet, rewarding for calm behavior.
- After getting used to the dog, walks begin. The accessory is put on so that the pet does not feel discomfort. When trying to take it off while walking, you need to actively distract the dog. It is advisable to walk in places unfamiliar to him, where there are enough distractions. Calm behavior must necessarily be rewarded with a treat. You can remove the muzzle only when the pet is distracted and stops paying attention to it. You should never do this if the dog is trying to remove it on its own.
In order to exclude a negative association in the animal that arises when putting on an accessory, it is put on in advance before unpleasant procedures. Praise and reward your pet with a treat after the procedure.
The main mistakes made by inexperienced dog owners:
- Go to the next stage of training without completing the previous one.
- Removing the muzzle when the dog tries to do it on its own.
- Purchasing a model for your pet that does not fit the size and causes discomfort.
- Donning equipment just before an unpleasant procedure.
It should be remembered that retraining a dog is much more difficult than immediately developing the right skills from it. Patience and understanding on the part of the owner will help the pet quickly understand what is required of him.
The accustoming process
It is possible to accustom a puppy or an adult dog to the necessary ammunition if you adhere to some rules. First, you should learn that this accessory should be associated with good and pleasant events for your pet. Therefore, during training, you should stock up on goodies.
- The first stage is acquaintance. The owner needs to let the pet smell and research a new thing. You cannot be allowed to play with it, let alone gnaw or chew it. It is possible to accustom a puppy to a muzzle if you put a treat in the ammunition in such a way that a baby or an adult dog can get a treat only by sticking its muzzle into an accessory. The owner must stop any attempts of the pet to get a treat in addition to the specified method. To accustom a puppy to ammunition means to teach him to perform the assigned tasks. At this stage, you should not try to fasten and extend the time spent in the ammunition.
How to train your dog to muzzle
The welcome pet has finally appeared in the house. So many troubles, worries, thoughts. And there are no less questions about caring for a dog. And one of them is how to teach a dog to muzzle, because if this is done incorrectly, then the pet will dodge, and possibly behave aggressively when trying to put on such a strange object.
Let’s put it bluntly: a walk without this thing is a huge danger, first of all, for those around you, and for the owner too. Therefore, this ammunition is a must for all pet owners. Teaching a dog to muzzle is the first task for a dog breeder. And sometimes quite difficult.
- Why you need this accessory?
- Optimal age for accustoming to ammunition
- The accustoming process
- Typical mistakes in training
Why you need this accessory?
- Even a small dog is able to bite without a muzzle, tear clothes or rush at a child, scaring him.
- The most educated pet is able to behave unpredictably, so a small and, especially, an adult dog should be taught to wear this accessory.
- Several times a year, the dog gets to the veterinarian for examination, so you can’t do without ammunition here either.
- Walking or being in some public places requires this accessory to be worn on your pet.
- It happens that the dog will bark and run towards some passer-by. In this case, the person on whom the barking dog rushes will defend. Naturally, the pet may suffer from the actions of a frightened bystander. Imagine if a child is the target of a dog. At best, the child will get off with fright. At worst, it’s hard to imagine. Therefore, the question of how to accustom an adult dog to the muzzle should be studied when the pet at an early age.
- Why do you need to accustom your puppy to harness? In youth, and even in adulthood, a pet can pick up various objects and food from the ground, which is unacceptable. The necessary accessory will leave no chance for such actions, and the pet will be healthy, although slightly upset.
Optimal age for accustoming to ammunition
Some experts believe that accustoming a puppy to harness should take place in the first months after birth. In their opinion, the adaptation process will be much more successful and will not cause rejection in the pet. Although it is unlikely that a puppy under the age of 2-3 months will understand what they want from him. The Internet is enough. By which you can understand the principle of training a growing dog.
How to teach a puppy to muzzle, and at what age should you start doing it? The optimal age is 5 months. If the puppy is sent to a general training course, which includes accustoming to ammunition, then the optimal age is 6-7 months.
If a pet “came” to the house, not accustomed to this thing, it is quite possible to accustom the dog to the muzzle, but this may require a little more time and patience. If the question arises of how to accustom an adult dog to the much-needed muzzle, you can view the many with experienced trainers.
Typical mistakes in training
You decided to train your puppy to muzzle yourself, but you don’t know how to do it correctly. Yes, you can watch a few. Read special literature, do everything exactly as written and shown. Still, some dog breeders make some mistakes in trying to teach the baby to be in ammunition. So, here they are. typical flaws.
- The transition to the next stage of training should take place when the training at the previous stage is completed without a hitch and is absolutely correct.
- An adult dog, and a baby too, should not be disturbed and try to remove the accessory when the pet is already busy with this process.
- To accustom a puppy to ammunition means to associate this process with something pleasant. It is strongly discouraged to wear a muzzle before unpleasant procedures, otherwise the dog will associate ammunition with something bad.
- It is highly discouraged to use an uncomfortable or oversized model.
Take a look. And you will understand how to quickly and without consequences, without others, accustom your beloved dog to the necessary, but sometimes unwanted, muzzle.
Stages of muzzle training
It is important to show your pet that the new accessory is safe and is the same attribute for walking as a leash and collar. To begin with, you just need to show the muzzle to the animal, allow it to sniff. Keeping the accessory in sight of the dog, give the treat, then hide the accessory behind the back. Repeat this step several times, making it clear that this item is not dangerous and even pleasant, because it is associated with a delicious treat. You can use not only treats, but also your favorite games, for example, holding the muzzle in front of the animal’s eyes, throw the ball, then hide it behind the back while the animal is distracted, and when the dog returns to hide the ball, wait a few seconds, and then, again show the muzzle and throw the ball. So repeat a few times.
The next step involves contact with the muzzle. To begin with, just put it on your neck and immediately give a treat, then play with the pets for 1-2 minutes, take it off and give the treat again. This step should be repeated several times.
In the process of accustoming, it is important not to rush things, and you should start closer contact only after numerous repetitions of the first stages. The next step in getting used to it is for the dog to put its muzzle inside the muzzle of its own free will. To do this, you need to put the treat in the muzzle and let the pet get it. This stage should be repeated several times, not skimping on goodies.
After the previous steps, you need to press the muzzle to the muzzle, hold the belt with your hand behind the ears, while giving a treat. There is no need to fasten the strap. When pushing food through the holes, the pet must eat it while in the muzzle. Then, after 7-10 seconds, remove the accessory, take a break for a few seconds and repeat the step again.
Then you can proceed to the next stage of training the dog to the muzzle. Having put it on, not forgetting to give treats, you can already fasten the strap and let the pet walk around in the accessory for 30-60 seconds, while involving the animal in the game and giving encouragement.
It is impossible to put a muzzle on a dog forcibly or as a punishment, otherwise the animal will have negative associations, and every time at the sight of the muzzle, the pet will be nervous, afraid or show signs of aggression, for example, growl, bite.
Many adult dogs do not like to wear muzzles, which is associated with unpleasant sensations, because an animal accustomed to freedom feels discomfort from the fact that something is put on its face and this something restricts its freedom.
A properly sized accessory plays an important role. There are many types of this accessory, but the most comfortable are deaf leather models with holes.
Training should take place in a place familiar to the animal, in a calm environment where the pet will not be distracted by anything.
The animal must be hungry, because in the process of training, you will need a large number of delicacies, which will be the main motivation for getting used to wearing this accessory.
For cloth muzzles, which have one large hole at the end, certain breeds can be taught differently. First, you need to put the food on the bottom of the cup (so that the treats do not fall on the floor), which should not be too deep and should fit the size of the muzzle. In the next step, the muzzle is placed in a plastic cup, food is placed on the bottom and the dog is allowed to eat it. The stage is repeated several times, after which they move on to the next, which consists in fastening the strap while the animal tries to reach and eat the treat. At the final stage, after the muzzle is fixed on the head, the cup is removed and the dog is fed from the hand. If the animal resists and is nervous, then, after waiting for the pet to calm down, the muzzle is removed and returned to the previous stages. The animal must perceive the training process as a game.
At what age to train a puppy to muzzle
It is better to train a pet from a puppy age, the process will go faster without unnecessary discomfort for the dog. Puppies of large breeds are taught from 5-6 months, and medium and small breeds. from 7-8 months. The only drawback is that it becomes necessary to change the muzzle, because the puppy will grow.
How to train your dog to muzzle
Human safety while walking your dog is not the only reason why you need a muzzle.
This accessory allows you to protect your own dog from accidental swallowing of food, garbage, which is especially important in cities where poisoned food is scattered in parks and other places where dogs are walking. A muzzle may also be required in stressful situations, for example, when visiting a veterinarian, a pet salon, when you are in crowded places, so that no one is hurt by the animal’s aggression.
How to muzzle your puppy
Puppies are often distracted by things that are interesting to them and curiosity can help in muzzling puppies. It is best to teach outside, starting gradually from showing the muzzle to putting it on. At the same time, giving treats or stroking the puppy, and then immediately involving him in the game. Excited by curiosity and a desire to explore the territory, playing dogs more easily relate to this accessory, sometimes without noticing it. The stages of training should be repeated several times, you need to put on the muzzle for a short time. up to 2 minutes is enough, after which you take off and give a treat, praise. The time spent in the muzzle should be increased gradually.
How to muzzle your dog
The correct muzzle for the dog does not cause any particular inconvenience, does not rub or squeeze the jaws, does not interfere with the opening of the mouth, free breathing. The model should be spacious so that the nose does not touch the front wall of the muzzle, and its base does not rub the area under the eyes. The straps should be behind the ears.
Novice dog breeders → How to train a dog to muzzle?
As you know, large dogs are required to wear a muzzle in public. Pet owners should teach them to muzzle from an early age so that the process of getting used to the accessory does not become painful for either the dog or its owner.
What is a muzzle for??
The safety of others is far from the only reason to train your dog to muzzle. There are other benefits of this accessory.
- It helps to protect owners and other pets from all kinds of injuries, bites and fights.
- The muzzle allows you to insure against pet poisoning, picking up food leftovers, rotten meat or garbage on the street.
- This accessory is also indispensable during stressful situations, especially during grooming or veterinary examinations. Even if the dog is prone to manifestations of aggression during unpleasant procedures, the muzzle will protect other people from animal bites.
- A muzzle will greatly facilitate relationships with others while walking. Even if the dog is well-bred and obedient to its owner, people tend to distrust animals without this accessory and form a negative opinion about their owner. Using a muzzle will greatly simplify daily life and make the atmosphere on walks more pleasant.
Dog training process
If you train your dog to muzzle, you need to approach this matter thoughtfully and responsibly. There are several rules for teaching a dog to a new accessory.
- Choose a calm place for the procedure. It is necessary that the dog is calm and ready to communicate with the owner.
- Prepare a reward treat after the muzzle is worn.
- At first, this accessory does not need to be worn for a long period of time. It is enough if the dog is muzzled for 1-2 minutes.
- Before you put an accessory on an animal, you need to introduce it to an unfamiliar object. Let your dog sniff at an unfamiliar thing to avoid fear.
- After the pet is calm about the muzzle, calmly put it on the muzzle. Reward your dog. If she starts to get nervous, distract her with a game, and reinforce her calm behavior with a treat.
- In the process of muzzle training, gradualness is important. Do not immediately put on an unfamiliar object on your pet, first you need to teach the dog to a new thing.
- Don’t skimp on the goodies. Encourage your dog to associate the muzzle with positive things. treats, play, etc.
- Remain patient and calm during the procedure. Remember that pets are good at feeling the emotions of the owner.
Teaching your dog to muzzle is an important part of dog education. By correctly adapting the puppy to this accessory, you will greatly simplify your further life.!
Things to Consider When Teaching Your Dog to Muzzle?
There are several main principles that need to be considered when teaching your pet to its new accessory.
- It is much easier for a dog to get used to a muzzle at an early age (2-5 months) than at a mature age. Adult pets are prone to manifestations of aggression and irritation in the process of adaptation, although the animal’s reaction to the actions of the owner depends on education.
- If the dog is used to walking without a muzzle, he will feel discomfort. At first, it is difficult for a pet to get used to the presence of an unfamiliar object on its mouth, because it significantly limits the dog’s freedom.
- In order for the process of getting used to the muzzle to be quick and successful, it is necessary to choose the right accessory. There is a large selection of manufacturers and models of muzzles, but leather products with small holes inside are considered the most comfortable.
- In the process of choosing an accessory, not only the material and shape of the product are important, but also its size. If the muzzle is too small or too large, the pet will feel discomfort.
We teach an adult dog and a puppy to the muzzle
Calm dressing and wearing ammunition is a prerequisite for keeping a dog in settlements. A muzzle is one of the most disliked “toilet items” for dogs. you can’t bark, you can’t bite, you can’t pick up a “rotten yummy” from the ground. sheer disappointment. But training does not tolerate indulgence, so we will figure out how to train a dog to muzzle without stress for the ward.
How to choose the right muzzle for your dog
The direct purpose of the accessory is to protect others from the possible aggression of the dog, however, the muzzle is also used as a security measure if the pet has the habit of picking up food from the ground. Based on the basic needs, we decide whether to purchase an open or “deaf” accessory. Further, according to the material of manufacture, the following types are distinguished:
- Metal mesh. the most durable option, but if the dog is “rowdy”, it may well beat the opponent with a muzzle. Cynologists, jokingly, call metal muzzles. “the death of a veterinarian” and there is something in this. If your pet is still a puppy, there is no need for such a powerful accessory, but when the baby grows up and fully masters wearing a muzzle, the option is quite worthy.
- Leather solid and braided. comfortable and safe, but can make it difficult for the dog to breathe, especially in the hot season. A large pet may well break the accessory when opening the jaw (if the base is braided) or rip off the muzzle with its paws.
- Nylon is the best and most modern option. The material is lightweight, breathable, durable and glides well. Most often, accessories are equipped with adjusters, so you can choose a muzzle for growth. There is only one minus, nylon muzzles of an exclusively open type. will reduce the amplitude of the opening of the mouth, but will not protect from picking up food from the ground.
It will take 7-14 days to train a puppy to muzzle, an adult dog can “resist” up to 3 weeks. If more than 3 weeks have passed, and the pet persists, we proceed to extreme measures. we feed breakfast from the muzzle, rinse the accessory with water and go for a walk. We proceed to the next stage, when the pet safely takes treats from the muzzle, wags its tail and “is going for a walk,” seeing the ammunition in your hands. We continue to study at home.
- After the pet has “dived” for a treat, carefully put the straps straightened to a free state on the back of the head, remove it after 2-3 seconds. We praise the pet violently.
- The next stage is a buckle on the back of the head, and you push the treat through the holes in the muzzle and again a “storm” of emotions.
- Gradually increase the time by adding 5-10 seconds.
- Wear a loose muzzle on your dog before going out for a walk. Emotions will distract your pet from discomfort. As soon as they reached the door, they took off the ammunition and praised the pet. We increase the length of the distance gradually.
Acquaintance with the muzzle
- Conduct classes exclusively at home.
- Unpack the accessory, give it to the dog to sniff.
- Strictly suppress attempts to gnaw or play with the muzzle. command “Fu”.
- Fasten the buckles on the dog’s neck without wearing an accessory, if the pet is calm. let it walk around the house for 10-15 minutes.
- Throw a treat in the muzzle for your pet to see. After sniffing, let your dog eat a treat from a makeshift bowl.
The preparation lasts until the dog has a positive response to the sight of the muzzle. wagging the tail, anticipating treats. Take the accessory for walks, but do not try to use it, just carry it in your hand. Difficulties are possible at this stage. the puppy will want to play with the ammunition, the adult dog can ignore the accessory. “Thank you for the treat, but wear it yourself.” Your task is to catch the moment when the pet “resigned” and start wearing a muzzle around his neck while walking.
Teaching a dog to wear a muzzle
We work with difficulties
The moment that all owners face. the dog falls to the ground, clings to the muzzle with the claws of its front paws and tries to remove it. Similar “incidents” can occur after 2-3 months of calm wearing of ammunition. protest, emotions, readiness for a fight, reaction to a bitch in heat. Do not punish the pet and do not panic, according to the situation, use one of the methods.
- Strictly, with a jerk of the leash, we order the dog to sit down or lie down, hold it for 10-15 seconds and remove the accessory.
- In case of protest, distract the dog with your favorite toy, clap your hands.
- If the pet panicked, calm down, give a treat without removing the muzzle, stroke and sit next to it for a few minutes.
- When trying to unleash a fight. jerk the leash, “Fu”, take the “aggressor” to a safe distance, lay down and calm down, do not remove the muzzle. the “bully” cannot be encouraged!
For each such “attack”, you defiantly fall into disappointment, shorten your walk, take offense, but only after you have removed your ammunition. The ward should clearly understand that he upset you, and could please. For most dogs, the owner’s resentment is the worst punishment.