Why do dogs bark
Dogs never bark for no reason, you can always find an explanation for this:
- Fear. Have you noticed that dogs are wildly afraid of sharp and intense sounds: thunder, siren, screams.
- Boredom. If a dog sits at home alone all day, he begins to get bored just like a person. But if you have the opportunity to find entertainment for yourself, then the dog has not great choice. gnaw your shoes or bark heartily.
- Fun. In this case, barking for dogs is a sign of delight and satisfaction. Dogs always bark when their owners start playing with them.
- Alertness. Extraneous, unfamiliar sounds cause a feeling of insecurity in the dog, to which it responds with loud barking. For example, a dog will definitely respond to a doorbell, knock, if neighbors start repairs.
- Signal or manipulation. Barking for dogs is a way to attract attention, for example, if the pet wants to eat, drink, or he is simply bored and wants to play.
- Anger. You can observe a similar feeling when 2 dogs meet. In such a situation, barking. this is a way for dogs to prove their superiority.
All of the above emotions can visit a dog more than once a day, and of course, the neighborhood with such a loud pet can drive you crazy. This is why it is so important at a young age to explain to the dog when barking is appropriate and when it is better to shut up.
How to teach your dog not to bark at home
Before you teach a dog not to bark at home, you must understand that it is a way for it to communicate, to convey its emotions, like a human voice. If a dog lives in a family for a long time, the owner determines by the intensity and volume of barking what exactly his pet wants. Therefore, you should not set the goal of generally weaning the dog from barking in the house, you need to ensure that this happens only in justified situations.
What exactly can not be done
Let’s start from the opposite, and first of all consider the mistakes that inexperienced dog owners often make:
- Mutual abuse. Screaming at a dog when it barks at home. does not mean to calm her down, but on the contrary to provoke even more. Especially when it comes to aggressive breeds, in whose blood to prove their case. If you decide to get a dog, be patient and learn to maintain STIHL.
- Occasional training. You can only train your dog not to bark at home during regular training. If you only occasionally make Комментарии и мнения владельцев, the pet simply will not take them seriously, or will not remember at all.
- Physical violence. Beating is inadmissible in principle. First, it is not humane. Secondly, in this way you will not arouse the desire to obey in the dog, but only develop fear and latent aggression.
- Комментарии и мнения владельцев without clarifying the reason. If your pet starts barking, first find out why he is doing it. Maybe he wants to play, or maybe robbers are trying to get into the house. Reproaches just like that can discourage any desire to protect you, but you do not want the dog to turn into a decorative ornament.
- Do not follow the pet’s lead. Dogs have a huge number of qualities that humans have, including cunning. If the dog is trying to manipulate you, and with the help of barking to beg a piece of meat from the plate, in no case do not give in. In the future, he will do this manipulation constantly.
Tired, want to take a break? Order a dog walk!
Why a dog barks at home: the main reasons
Below we list the most common ones:
- Disease. Before complaining about your pet. take a closer look at him, perhaps this way he lets you know that something is bothering him. If the barking does not stop even at night and while eating, it is better to contact your veterinarian, so you can not only exclude the variant of the disease, but also prevent it at an early stage, if there is still cause for concern.
- Excited state. It can manifest itself both negatively and positively. The doorbell, the owner’s return home, the game, the thunderstorm, the cat passing by. all these factors affect the emotional background of the pet and can provoke barking.
- Fear. This is perhaps the most common reason for barking in tetrapods, with its help they take a defensive position and make it clear that they are ready to fight back. For this reason, dogs bark when they are alone at home or in a confined space.
- Lack of attention. Loud barking can be a sign of a desire to attract attention. This is especially true when you leave your pets alone at home.
- Aggression. Do not forget that dogs have a very developed guarding instinct. They are called upon to defend their territory and their masters. In order to wean your pet from barking at home, you need to have patience and make a lot of effort.
How to stop your dog from barking using the distraction method?
Very often, the tailed ones react violently to the arrival of guests or extraneous noises in the entrance or at neighbors. In this case, the technique of distracting the pet from the barking object helps a lot. For example, if your pet began to vigorously voice at the newly arrived guests, just call him to you and ask him to perform a few commands. “Sit!”, “Lie!”, “Paw!”.
After the pet has completed several commands for you, you can use the guests and ask them to give a paw to each of them. It is then important to reward the four-legged for STIHL and correct execution of commands. An important aspect for the success of this method is the behavior of the guests. Warn family and friends not to react to joyful barking, but to contact your pet only when it is in a calm state.
How to stop a dog from barking at home?
Sooner or later, every owner of a four-legged friend is faced with uncontrollable, prolonged barking. This behavior of a pet brings a lot of negative emotions: sleepless nights, sidelong glances from neighbors, headaches and increased irritability. If you are familiar with all this firsthand, then, for sure, you have already thought more than once about methods of dealing with unwanted barking. In this article, we will tell you in detail about several effective ways to wean a dog from barking over trifles at home. First you need to understand the main reasons for barking.
How to stop your dog from barking at night: redirecting energy
It’s no secret that a dog is an active and energetic animal, it requires a lot of attention. If you are trying to figure out how to stop a dog from barking at home at night, then this method is definitely for you. First of all, it is worth increasing the duration of walks, especially in the evening. You can also dilute walking with various active games, for example, the classic “aport” or dog-frisbee. They will be a great addition to daily walks and will help exhaust your pet before bed.
Wean the dog to bark at home using the command “Quiet!
An important point here is that together with the “Quiet!” it is necessary to teach the pet the command “Voice!”. So you can clearly demonstrate the difference between these two states.
While walking or at home, wait until the four-legged barks and command “Voice!”, Then carefully cover his mouth with your hand so that he stops talking, and command “Quiet!” Success must be backed up with a treat in order to record a positive response from your pet. After a while, when the pet gets used to this command and calms down without your help, the treat can be canceled, but do not forget to praise him for his successes. a pat on the head or a simple “fellow” will be no less pleasant praise.
The key to success here is regularity. the more often you repeat the same actions, the faster your four-legged friend will develop the habit of responding correctly to the command.
Ignore method for correcting unwanted barking
Here we are talking about those cases when the pet begins to manipulate its owner. During loud barking, you should be patient and not even show a negative reaction with the demand to shut up. Remember, a negative reaction is also a reaction. Pay attention to your pet only when he is calm, while remembering to praise him. Do not react if the tailed beast gives a voice with a desire to treat yourself to the master’s cutlet from the table, and in no case should you encourage such behavior. Otherwise, you run the risk of instilling in him the habit of eating from the same plate with the owner and the situation will repeat itself over and over again.
Weaning a dog from barking using the surprise effect
There are times when the four-legged cannot be calm, it seems that you are powerless, and barking can no longer be tolerated. In this case, there is a proven and simple method to confuse the screamer. grab him by the ears, but do it carefully. It is best to first check this method on a calm pet, and if a positive reaction follows, then you can safely take the method into service. After touching the ears, the tailed ones often fall into a stupor and stop barking, and you will have a few seconds to switch your pet’s attention, for example, to a toy.
How to stop a dog from barking
We express our thoughts and feelings using our voice, and dogs express their emotions using barking. Experienced owners, who know their pets well, can already determine the mood of their pet friend by the volume and frequency of barking. It would seem that there is nothing surprising and reprehensible in the barking of an animal. But when the doggie makes a noise almost incessantly, it can infuriate even the most patient person. Let’s take a look at just a few situations where a dog’s woof-woof can get you white-hot:
How to Teach Your Dog Not to Bark, Humanely and Effectively: 3 Things You Can Do Right Now
The owner tries unsuccessfully to watch a movie or to talk on the phone, and the dog does not stop talking;
There is a small child in the house who cannot sleep for a full hour due to loud barking;
The walls in the apartment building are thin, so all the neighbors listen to the dog’s “concert” day and night;
Actually, there are a great many situations when a dog’s barking can get mad. In this article we will try to find out why the animal barks, how to wean a dog from barking, and whether it is always worth forbidding a pet to voice.
How not to act when weaning a dog from barking
Weaning a dog from barking at everyone in a row will be within the power of a consistent and fairly firm owner. Often people, trying to get rid of the habit of barking an animal, behave incorrectly, making the following mistakes:
Swearing and screaming in response to the barking of the dog. It happens that the owner himself behaves in no way better than his unbelted dog. It is not so uncommon when, in response to the barking of the dog, the owner’s shouts are heard (“Shut up!”, “Hell!”, “You’ll get it from me!”, Etc.). Such behavior on the part of a person will not only not calm the dog, but even more overexcite it;
The upbringing of the dog happens from time to time. It is possible to wean a dog from barking at home only through daily persistent exercises;
Beating as a means to silence the dog. Tumaki is a forbidden technique that should never be used;
Inattention to the cause of the dog’s barking. Yes, there are situations when an animal barks incessantly and for no particular reason (for example, it wants the owner to unschedule a cutlet from the table). But sometimes our pets try to warn about something important with the help of barking (for example, about a stranger entering the house or about the smell of burning). So it’s important to begin with recognizing why the dog is barking;
Why do dogs bark
Since barking has many functions, you must determine the cause and your dog’s motivation for barking before you can address the problem. Dogs bark for a reason. Usually, animals give voice in such situations :
Fear of something (for example, sirens, thunder, screams, etc.);
Boredom (animals are often left alone, and it is so painful to wait for the arrival of the owner);
Fun (dogs like to give a voice, for example, when the owner is playing with them);
Anxiety (animals react by barking, for example, to the sound of a bell, a knock on the door, the arrival of strangers into the house, etc.);
Signal to the owner or manipulation (with his barking, the dog can call the owner to play, ask for food or invite him for a walk);
Rage (sometimes dogs “quarrel” with other individuals, especially males sin with this);
Each type of barking has a specific function for the dog . and if she is repeatedly rewarded for her barking. in other words, if barking gives the dog what it wants, then it can learn to use the barking to its advantage. For example, dogs that bark to attract the attention of their owner and successfully achieve their goal, they often continue to bark about other things, such as food, play and walks.
Ways to stop a dog from barking
The following tips will help you to wean your dog from barking in an apartment and on the street:
Study of the command “Quiet!” (or “Silence!”) . In order for the animal to stop barking at the command of the owner, you can take the following measures: while walking, wait until the dog begins to bark. In this case, you need to pronounce the command “Voice!”. After a couple of minutes of barking, you should carefully cover the pet’s mouth with your palms, saying the word “Quiet!” As soon as the animal is silent, it will need to be treated and praised. This exercise should be done daily, until the dog becomes silent at the owner’s command without manual manipulation and treats;
Touching the ears of a barking dog. Surprisingly, some animals stop barking if the owner suddenly and not strongly grabs them by the ears. Such an action confuses the dog, and the owner has several saving moments in order to switch the attention of the inflamed dog to something (for example, a toy);
How to Train Your Dog to STOP BARKING at EVERYTHING That Moves!!
So that the dog does not have the desire to bark at everyone around, it is reasonable to direct the pet’s energy to something useful . For example, many animals adore dog sports (frisbee. catching a flying disc, agility. overcoming obstacles, etc.), which not only give a lot of pleasant moments to the animal, but also exhaust it well. If it is not possible to teach the dog any discipline, you can just walk the pet for a longer time;
You can wean a dog to bark at home if you ignore the noise  (but only in those cases when the animal, barking, tries to manipulate the owner). For example, a pet starts a “song” if he does not want the owner to close in the shower (toilet, another room, on the balcony, etc.). It is wiser not to be led by the brawler, but to calmly do your business, not paying attention to the barking. So the dog will understand that it will not be possible to starve the owner;
Avoiding factors causing barking. If the doggie, for example, goes berserk at the sound of a washing machine, it is reasonable to take the animal for a walk while washing. Another option is to take the dog to the room farthest from the washer;
If the dog barks at guests, you can calm the animal by asking to demonstrate how to reduce the paw first to the owner, and then to each of the guests. It is important that each guest praises the dog, loudly and sincerely uttering the word “Well done!”;
Spraying water as a way to silence the dog. It happens that the animal is filled with barking at passers-by or at other dogs. If the command “Quiet!” does not work, you can resort to the method of spraying ordinary water from a small bottle with a spray bottle. Just do not need to aim at the eyes of the animal, it is enough to spray water into the head or neck area from a distance of about half a meter;
All of these methods can help wean the dog from barking if the owner is around. But what if the pet starts a “concert” in the absence of the owner? It is good if there is a family member at home who can calm the animal. If the doggie is completely alone, special devices for weaning from barking or medications are used:
Collars “Antilai” with citronella or lavender. As soon as the animal begins to bark, from a special capsule built into the collar, a fragrant aromatic oil begins to evaporate, the smell of which is unpleasant for animals;
Ultrasonic collars. react to barking by emitting an unpleasant sound that is intimidating to dogs;
Electric shock collars. are triggered when the movement of the dog’s larynx becomes more frequent. The shock is not strong, but rather unpleasant;
Raising a puppy
The sooner the owner starts training and raising the puppy, the easier it will be to communicate with the dog in the future, not only for him, but for all family members. You should pay attention to the following points:
- The puppy should take your commands from one word. As for barking, you can prohibit it by using the commands “quiet” or “fu” (some prefer the long “no”).
- It is believed that positive reinforcement is the most effective way that allows the owner to achieve their goals. How it works: When the command is executed correctly, the dog receives a reward in the form of a treat.
If the dog is silent, it should be encouraged. This will gradually form in her an understanding that it is good and pleasant to obey the owner.
Usually the dog barks to get attention. The owner should pay attention to situations when the puppy starts barking without stopping. They are usually associated with two points:
- Manifestation of joy. The owner was gone for a long time, or guests came. In this case, you should suppress unwanted barking using the methods described above.
- The emergence of a stressful situation. For example, a puppy barks at the door when you leave him alone in the apartment. In such cases, the most effective measure will be to minimize the risk of such circumstances occurring and gradually accustom the puppy to the need to remain alone. In this case, the owner (and his neighbors) should simply be patient.
How to stop a dog from barking?
Barking is a dog’s natural way to attract the attention of its owner. But what to do when the dog literally does not shut up and this behavior bothers not only you, but also the neighbors? Do not worry: you can wean not only a puppy, but also an adult dog from barking. The main thing in this matter is patience and the right action.
When an adult dog appears in the house with its habits and an already formed character, the owner should understand that training is possible, but it will require more time and patience than if it were a puppy. The basic working principles are the same as with the puppy. This is the training of the dog to follow the commands of the owner through positive and negative reinforcement of behavior.
How to TEACH ANY DOG to STOP BARKING Humanely, Effectively, and Naturally!
An important point: sometimes to wean adult dogs from barking, it is recommended to use such devices as special collars “anti-barking”, and may also advise surgical trimming of the ligaments. Doing this is strongly discouraged, since in the latter case it is fraught with health problems of the dog, up to inflammation.
The owner should understand that with patience and affection he can achieve the desired result much more efficiently than using any punishment.
What to do to prevent the dog from barking?
The ability to control the level of noise your dog makes. an important aspect of responsible owner behavior. After all, constant barking can be annoying. and not only you, but also your neighbors.
The first step to solving the problem. understand why your dog is barking. Some dogs bark to let the owner know that they want something. The dog may be hungry, thirsty, or just want to play.
When this behavior becomes excessive, it is necessary to make it clear to the animal that there are other ways to attract attention. for example, scratching with a paw or sitting waiting near a door or a bowl.
Many dogs bark to invite other dogs to run and play. This is completely normal, but how acceptable is this behavior and is it worth making the dog wait for the game until it calms down. you decide.
Your dog may bark if left alone at home. Try playing music or radio while you are away so that she hears the familiar sounds associated with the person’s presence. You can also leave a few toys that will grab the dog’s attention for a while while you are not at home.
A good way to prevent anxiety. give the dog a personal piece of clothing or anything that has a pronounced home odor.
In the meantime, do not forget to play with your dog and give him the necessary physical activity while you are at home. After all, your pet missed you so much, and you won’t find a better way to strengthen your relationship.
One of the most common reasons for barking is that the dog is “on duty.” If your dog sees someone approaching the house, he will immediately bark to alert you. Since you. leader of the pack, the dog thinks that you should find out what is the matter.
Certain breeds of dogs have been bred to perform this very function, in which case such behavior should be encouraged. Let your dog bark to get your attention, but then calm him down when you are sure there is no threat to your home.
Consistency is important in all aspects of training. Dogs respond well to routine procedures and this will greatly increase your chances of success. You may have already taken your puppy to obedience classes, and if not. why not do it now? It’s never too late to teach an old dog new tricks, and there are many places to help you learn how to handle your pet properly.
The only way to teach your dog the “Quiet!” silence her or distract her attention every time she starts barking. Use something that makes a loud sound to get her attention, and then say “Quiet!” Clearly and firmly.
When the dog stops barking, praise and reward him with something. Never yell at your dog to shut up as this can cause anxiety and negate all training achievements. In addition, you can easily mislead your pet by doing this. he will think you are barking too. Screaming only reinforces the habit of barking.
Training. the best way to correct your dog’s behavior. Remember that most of the times your dog barks is a perfectly normal part of his dog’s life. It is worth taking any action only if the barking becomes excessive and inexplicable.
If your dog continues to bark, see your veterinarian. he will give additional advice or even suggest another method of correction.