If the dog does not eat dry food
The dog refuses dry food, how to train
Dry food is popular with dog breeders for many reasons, but first of all, it is a quality balanced product suitable for almost any dog. At the same time, not all animals appreciate such care of their owners, often refusing dry granules. Is it necessary to fight this and how to properly accustom the pet to this type of food. this will be discussed further.
Treats for dogs
Even with dry feeding, a puppy or adult dog is rewarded with treats, in particular, and as a reward when following commands correctly or as a result of the usual demonstration of obedience.
Popular dog treats include:
Whatever you use, a treat can take no more than 10% of the pet’s daily feed. The dog should not gorge on it, otherwise there will be problems with food consumption.
Reasons for pet refusal
The reasons for the refusal of a dog from dry food always lie in the physiological characteristics of its body, previous gastronomic experience or the presence of certain deviations in health. If the animal does not want to eat dry granules due to the “fault” of the owner, this means that:
- before the dog ate natural and the new food is simply unfamiliar to her;
- the owner is trying to quickly transfer the animal to a new brand, especially in the cheap segment;
- the pampering of the pet, which is often important for small dogs (the owners are trying to feed the pet with at least something, as a result of which the delicacy sometimes becomes the main food and snacks with cheese or pieces of meat lead to the rejection of less appetizing drying);
- prolonged feeding of the dog with the same type of feed mixture, with periodic treats with delicacies from the master’s table.
Other objective reasons for ignoring the product include hot summer, irregular portions (drying consumption is always less than natural) spoilage or expired product shelf life, its poor quality.
If none of the above is suitable for a particular case, you should make sure that your pet is in good health and that there are no deviations in its health.
For dry food of another brand
The transfer of a pet to another brand of granulated food in general implies performing all the above actions, and is based on the gradual introduction of new food into the pet’s daily menu. That is, in the first 3 days, you need to use only a fourth part of the new drying in the pet’s daily diet, in the next 3 days, replace it with half of the old food volume, and then for three more days feed the pet for 85% of the new composition, leaving only 15% of the previous species. After that, the animal is completely transferred to the new food.
When mixing different types of drying, always carefully observe the reaction of the dog’s body. If any symptoms of digestive disorders appear, it is better to reduce or completely cancel the introduction of a new feed into the diet, at least before consulting a veterinarian.
Wet to dry
The group of wet dog food usually includes canned food in cans and canned meat pieces packaged in sealed packs. If the animal is accustomed to eating such food, then its replacement with dry granules should take place in several stages, in the same way as when transferring from natural nutrition. The main requirements in this case will be:
- Selection of dry food of the same brand as the previously used wet food, which will help prevent disturbance of digestive processes.
- Gradual training of the pet to the new product. Replace damp food with dry granules in dosage.
- If it is difficult for a dog to bite through dry food particles, at first they can be soaked in water, gradually reducing the amount of liquid.
In the case of the usual natural feeding of the dog, the transfer of the pet to a new type of food must meet the following requirements:
- 1-5 days. only 25% of dry granules are introduced, with 75% of old feed;
- 6-10 days. the animal’s menu already has 50% drying and the same amount of familiar natural food;
- 10-15 days. 25% of natural products are combined with 75% drying;
- starting from the 16th day only the selected product can be given.
Combined food provides for the issuance of different types of dry food at different times of the day. Mixing wet and dry food in the same bowl is not recommended, unless dogs flatly refuse to eat dry food in its pure form. In other situations, wet or natural feed is given to the animal in the morning, and drying is left for evening feeding, or vice versa.
Why switch your dog to dry food
Every dog owner tries to choose the most suitable food for her, while at the same time making it easier for himself the process of preparing food. The convenience of using dry granules is undeniable, which is one of the main reasons for transferring a pet to this particular type of feed. In addition, in some cases, the animal requires a special diet, the need for which is due to certain health problems. Ready-made industrial versions of premium, super-premium or holistic class can solve the issue of medical nutrition, the main thing is to choose a product in accordance with the recommendation of a veterinarian.
The reason for the transfer of a dog from one type of drying to another is usually explained by the appearance of an allergic reaction to any component of the old product or the dog’s getting used to it. Some pets are characterized by increased “capriciousness”, therefore, after a while they may refuse the annoying feed. Alternatively, you can replace the usual composition with a similar product of another brand, or simply choose granules with a different taste.
A one-time refusal of a dog from a portion of granules does not mean any disturbances in its health, of course, if there are no other reasons to think about the trouble. The reason for going to the veterinary clinic will be: refusal to water, general lethargy, vomiting or diarrhea. A variety of diseases that are not always associated with the digestive tract lead to similar symptoms. So, stomatitis often causes severe pain when the animal tries to gnaw dry granules, and inflammation of the gums, pharynx or esophagus complicates the swallowing of food.
Symptoms of some ailments are more noticeable, while others are found with a more thorough examination, but in any case, to make a final diagnosis, doctors will at least measure the dog’s body temperature and, if necessary, do laboratory tests.
In addition to physical impairments, psychological factors, such as when the animal is under severe stress, can also lead to rejection of dry food.
In most cases, it is associated with moving to a new place of residence, visiting a veterinary clinic or the appearance of new pets in the house.
Males may not want to eat after meeting a hot bitch on a walk, and females often lose their appetite during pregnancy or immediately after the birth of offspring. Forcing them to eat food by force is not worth it, because soon everything will return to normal by itself.
What not to do
Why does the dog not eat dry food, if it used to suit it? There are many answers to this question, as well as recommendations for what not to do:
- It is categorically impossible to start feeling sorry for the dog and start feeding it from hands or from a common table. In the future, it will be very difficult to get rid of this bad habit.
- After feeding, there should be no food left in the bowl, otherwise during the day the dog will eat it, respectively, by the next meal, the appetite will disappear.
- The lack of a diet can also negatively affect the regularity of food intake.
If you follow the recommendations of experts, it is possible to train the dog to normal nutrition again.
Why a dog doesn’t eat dry food and how to train it?
Proper nutrition is important in a dog’s life. A balanced food helps to avoid many health problems that can be a lot of hassle for dog breeders and their pets. For this reason, many of them prefer to feed the dog with dry food, which contains all the necessary nutrients, vitamins and trace elements. Why a dog doesn’t eat dry food: what are the reasons and how to get him to eat?
Dogs and cat food
Some dog owners mistakenly think that since dogs and cats are predators, their diet is similar. The danger of the misconception is that buying the same feed for two different animals can cause irreparable harm to health. The feline diet should contain a lot more protein, and the cat should eat a little, but often. A dog whose need for proteins and glucose is much lower receives an excess of these substances. Over time, improper feeding leads to kidney problems, gastrointestinal tract problems, and allergies. It is important that the food is suitable for a specific type of animal, then there is no need to worry about the health of the pet.
How to get your dog to eat
A pet’s pitiful eyes and begging for goodies does not mean that he is hungry. A hungry dog will gladly eat the offered dry food. Also, dog breeders do not recommend raising their voice to the animal and forcing it to eat by force, most likely nothing will work out, and the dog will remember this and will keep away from the owner. The following methods should be used:
- Mixing dry food with natural food, gradually reducing the amount. In this way, you can “trick” the dog into eating. Using this technique, you need to stop feeding the pet from the common table, if such was previously practiced.
- Hungry ration for 1-2 days. On such a forced “diet” the dog should be left only with access to a bowl of water, completely removing all food. After that, the hungry dog will gladly pounce on the proposed dry food. This method should never be applied to puppies and pregnant dogs.
- When teeth decay, the dog begins to experience pain and discomfort when chewing dry food. You should try adding a little water to soften the granules.
- Some dogs can be persuaded. Oddly enough, after gentle persuasion in a calm, quiet voice, some pets dutifully go to eat.
Some mistakes in pet feeding can lead to nutritional problems. Why isn’t the dog eating any dry food? Abrupt failure can occur in several cases:
- alternation of food with natural food;
- frequent and abrupt change of feed;
- lack of free water;
- inadequacy of food for the dog’s needs.
Consider all possible options and ask your veterinarian for advice.
Dogs react to any changes in the way of life more sharply than people. This may be one of the reasons why the dog is not eating dry food. The following factors affect taste preferences:
- Changing the brand of feed. When trying to transfer an animal to a more expensive feed, you can meet with refusal. This phenomenon can be explained by the fact that manufacturers mask the absence of natural ingredients in cheap feeds with flavor enhancers and flavors. If you try to give your dog food that is less than usual, it can also react with a refusal. Cheap food contains a lot of bone meal or soy, which the dog is sensitive to.
- With regular treats to a pet from a common table, the dog’s taste preferences may change. In addition, this bad habit can gain a foothold, and in this case, not a single meal will be complete without the pet’s plaintive eyes near the table.
- With a sedentary lifestyle, the dog needs less food, therefore, its consumption is significantly reduced.
- In hot weather, as in humans, the dog’s appetite decreases.
- A large amount of food that is poured into the bowl. The dog simply eats and does not feel hungry until the next meal.
Sometimes there is such a phenomenon as manipulator dogs. they will not eat the offered dry food, begging for something tasty. You should not be led by the animal, because the diet should be balanced.
If the question arose “Why did the dog stop eating dry food, if earlier such a diet suited her,” then the first thing to do is to pay attention to the health of his pet. It is important to closely observe the activity of the animal. lethargy, inactivity, constipation, vomiting are possible. The dog can be hit by ticks, fleas, worms that affect appetite.
In any of the above cases, you should show the dog to the veterinarian to find out the reason why the dog refuses to eat dry food. If the physical examination did not find anything, and the pet feels great, you should consider other possible reasons not related to health.
Errors on the part of the pet owner
Often the dog refuses dry food due to the owner’s fault:
- Some dog breeders soak the feed with milk or sour cream. Then they suddenly stop doing it. The pet is at a loss. he refuses to gnaw dry round pieces.
- Small breeds are big “finicky” in food. To feed the crumbs, the owner tries to please in every possible way: he gives food from his hands, offers various “snacks” in the form of sausages. A small extortionist learns a lesson well and regularly demands a treat, refusing his usual diet.
- Much less dry food is required than wet food. It can be hard for owners to get used to the fact that instead of 2 liters of porridge, only 500 g of granules are needed.
- The dog does not eat dry food after “natural”. A puppy, then an adult dog, is fed with natural wet food. Then, they abruptly switch to dry food, because there is no way to cook the usual food. Naturally, the pet can turn up its nose from the unexpected contents of the bowl.
- Owners who feed the pet from the master’s table run the risk of becoming a victim of manipulation. The dog quickly understands where it tastes better, and will wait for handouts, ignoring his own bowl.
What to do if your dog doesn’t eat dry food?
If the dog refuses dry food, but eats regular food, then it is healthy. Other physiological and mental factors have nothing to do with it either. Be patient and gradually accustom your pet to the new diet.
- For the first time, mix a small amount of dry food with your daily food. Look at the reaction of the animal. Usually a minor supplement is taken calmly and everything is eaten. If everything went smoothly, increase the proportion of pellets next feeding.
- If the innovation was not gratefully accepted, and the pet bypasses the bowl, do not try to force the dog to eat dry food. Let the animal get used to the new scent and appearance of the product.
- Reduce dry rounds in the total volume of the usual food to a minimum so that the dog practically does not notice them. Add several pellets daily. In the first complementary foods, you can soak them a little to make them look similar to the texture of wet food. The animal will get used to the smell and taste of the complementary food.
- As soon as the dog accepts a new product, increase its volume and reduce the usual food.
After 1-2 weeks of effort, the pet will completely switch to dry food.
An important rule of feeding is that the daily diet of the animal must not be disturbed. Don’t be surprised if your dog stops eating dry food the day after the holiday meal. Having received a lot of “tasty things” the day before in the form of pieces of sausage, barbecue and other delicacies, she will wait for the continuation of the holiday.
If you could not resist and broke the rule, do not follow the lead of the “extortionist”. Be firm: Remove the suggested food bowl until next feeding time. Don’t worry, a little abstinence will only be beneficial.
why the dog is not eating or has stopped eating dry food?
Reasons why your dog may not eat dry food and how to fix them
Dry food is convenient to use, but it happens that the pet refuses the proposed food. Why the dog is not eating or has stopped eating dry food?
Even experienced breeders face this challenge. For very busy owners, this can be a big problem. To solve it, you first need to find out the reason for the refusal.
Why the dog doesn’t want to eat dry food?
Make sure your pet is healthy first. Pay attention to the general condition of the animal, to its behavior. Go to the veterinarian if you find one of the following signs:
- Lethargy, depression, diarrhea, vomiting, or constipation may indicate internal organ disease.
- Examine your dog’s body for mites, skin irritation, or hair loss.
- Look in your mouth and check for sores and inflammation on the gums and tongue. Is the smell from the mouth normal??
- A stuffy nose leads to loss of smell and appetite.
If nothing suspicious is found, then the refusal is not associated with health complications. Sometimes, even small changes in a dog’s diet or lifestyle can cause a decrease in appetite and aversion to food.
- If the dog refuses to eat food that has been eaten earlier, the quality may have decreased. It is difficult for a person to distinguish a fake from a real composition, but the dog’s nose quickly senses the substitution.
- A change of manufacturer may also not be beneficial. The dog is used to one diet and may not like the other.
- Pay attention to the expiration date of the product. The pellets may have gone bad and the animal smells rancid.
- If there is stale water next to the food or no water at all, the dog will refuse to eat. Intense thirst suppresses appetite.
- In hot weather, the need for food decreases.
- A sedentary lifestyle also negatively affects nutrition. Short walks of apartment dogs without active games do not release energy. This leads to lethargy, indifference to entertainment and poor appetite.
- During estrus, bitches sometimes lose interest in food. In males, the same situation occurs when they hear a “walking” lady nearby.
- Experiencing stress can severely limit your interest in food. The loss of a beloved owner, moving, the appearance of a child in the house and other abrupt changes in the usual life affect the pet’s mental balance.
- It happens that the doggie just arranged a fasting day for the body. If cheerfulness and good mood do not leave him, then there is no reason for concern. A little later, he will happily eat his portion.
How to avoid this problem?
It is always better to prevent a problem than to solve it later. In order for a pet to take a dry diet with pleasure, you must adhere to some simple rules:
- You can’t feel sorry for the animal and allow yourself to be manipulated. Show who is the boss. If the pet is healthy, then the usual whims are treated by abstaining from food. After a day of hunger strike, he will gladly accept the offered food. Praise the dog when he is full. However, this method is not suitable in the case of a puppy and a pregnant bitch.
- The food bowl should not be freely available. A diet with a limited serving size must be followed.
- Increased physical activity will be beneficial if the dog is not eating well. Engage in training, active games, joint jogging in the morning. Don’t let the dog get bored.
- Eliminate psychological factors that can cause stress. Pay more attention, give love and care. Even toddlers have a subtle sense of the owner’s mood.
- Do not swear or punish your tailed friend for refusing to eat. Eating food should only evoke pleasant emotions. If the animal is nervous and frightened, it may subsequently be afraid to approach the bowl.
- If your dog is not feeling well, see your veterinarian. You may need to be examined and tested. After the restoration of health, the appetite will return.
Dog Won’t Eat Kibble. How to Feed a Picky Dog
When purchasing dry food, consider the individual characteristics of the pet’s breed, its weight, age and lifestyle. The power lines from different manufacturers are divided into several categories:
- By class. Economy, premium and super premium feeds differ in the price and quality of the composition.
- By calorie content. Energetic and sedentary animals require different nutrients.
- According to the breed. What suits a Doberman will badly affect a little Yorkie.
- For health. Pet with sensitive digestion, sterilized, pregnant and lactating bitches.
For small dogs it is better not to offer large food pads intended for large breeds. If the animal refuses its usual “drying”, try changing the brand of the manufacturer. In any case, only your patience and love will help you cope with the difficulty that has arisen.
Why a dog doesn’t eat dry food. reasons
The first and most dangerous reason why a dog does not eat dry food is latent disease. You need to take a closer look at your pet and find out if there are other symptoms of ailment, for example, diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, edema, and others. If, in addition to a lack of appetite, lethargy and the above problems are observed, you should immediately seek help from a veterinarian.
The consultation consists in examining the animal and prescribing general tests. The dog does not eat well in the presence of ticks, a large number of fleas, with helminths and inflammation. At the end of the treatment, the dog’s appetite is restored.
Another common reason is switching to a different feed. Even different foods of the same brand have different tastes and aromas. The usual food can not be easily and quickly exchanged for another dog.
Food refusal is often observed when switching from cheap feed to expensive one. This is due to the fact that cheap products are stuffed with attractive flavors, while expensive high-quality feeds do not have such special attractive additives. It takes time and patience to train your dog to eat the right food.
Another reason is the habit of begging from the table. Giving your dog table treats is wrong. This bad habit is quickly absorbed by the dog, and it is very difficult to get rid of it. After such snacks, the dog is no longer attracted to dry food, and she stops eating it.
Much less often, there may be other reasons for a dog refusing to eat:
- Teething or tooth loss;
- period of sexual activity;
- taking medicines;
The dog does not eat dry food. why and what to do
For various reasons, the dog may start to eat poorly or refuse dry food. It is important to understand why this is happening and what can be done in such a situation.
Dry dog food is the solution for busy owners. Modern premium food supplies animals with everything they need: nutrients, vitamins and minerals. It takes very little time to put the food into the bowl and change the water. The volume of ready-made feed is also required less than when eating natural products.
Considering all the benefits, many dog breeders lean on dry food. However, sometimes the pet may stop eating “drying”. The problem is solved in different ways, depending on the reasons for the failure.
Is it possible to force a dog
It is impossible to force a dog to eat what it does not want. Sometimes long persuasion helps. Breeders note that some particularly loyal and human-centered breeds respond to suggestion and begin to eat at the request of the owner. But that doesn’t work with sick dogs. The affected animal first of all needs pain relief and treatment, and only then food.
Many people wonder how to get a dog to eat new, better food. The secret is to gradually mix the new food into the old one and get the pet used to the new aroma and taste. Every day, the portion of the old feed is reduced and the share of the new one increases.
Teaching a dog to eat properly should not be accompanied by yelling or physical effort on the part of the person. The dog can also become aggressive or, conversely, depressed. But food compulsions never end in success.
Another radical way is a two-day hunger strike. The dog is not offered anything for a couple of days except water. At the end of the hunger, most dogs pounce on any kind of food. This method is not at all suitable for puppies, pregnant or sick dogs.
What is the owner to do
In cases of infection or other illness of the dog, when it stops eating dry food, you will need to go to the clinic and the help of a veterinarian. But what is the owner of a healthy dog that refuses food to do??
First, you need to reconsider the serving size. The dog needs to be fed twice a day. Each time after a meal, the bowl should be completely emptied. If the dog does not eat everything in one go, then the food is nutritious, and the portion is large. The serving size is indicated by the food manufacturer on the packaging. It depends on the age and size of the dog. It is better to adhere to these recommendations or pour in a little less. Often, measuring cups are attached to large packages of food, with which it is convenient to pour the required amount of “drying”.
If the dog does not eat its food, but begs from the table, you need not to respond to all of its requests, gradually weaning it off. If it is easier for the owner to prepare natural meals for the dog, you can switch to them. But all the same, food should be served at the same time, and snacks only spoil discipline and disrupt the digestion of the animal. Sweet, salty or smoked pieces are especially harmful. They impair the health and natural taste of the dog and should be avoided.
Some dogs, especially older ones, have dental problems. They find it difficult to chew solid pieces of dry food. You should try to pre-soak the food in water. Granules of quality feed swell without increasing much in volume, become soft and easily break in the mouth.
To avoid problems with the dog’s nutrition, the following actions are taken as preventive measures:
- The dog is fed at the same time, 2 times a day. Treats are only given during training as rewards.
- The portion of the dog must be completely eaten and appropriate for age and weight.
- Dry food should be chosen premium or holistic.
- Water must be freely available to the dog around the clock.
- Frequent skipping of dry food or problems with stool is a serious reason for switching to natural foods.
- Puppies, old and sick dogs can mix dry food with wet food, soak food in water and select varieties with small granules.
Dry food always contains oils. Upon contact with air and oxidation, they begin to deteriorate, therefore, after opening the package, a new countdown begins. If the product is gone, the dog will probably refuse food or will be very reluctant to eat. The food is considered fresh for about 4-6 weeks if stored in a sealed container.
Don’t buy large bags if you have a miniature dog. She will not be able to eat the product fast enough. Give preference to those packages on which there is a zipper or buy a special container for storing feed. This will slightly extend the shelf life.
If the companion has previously received any additives (spices or sauces) or other brand of food, his actions are quite understandable. The dog is not used to it, it needs some time to adapt. If the pet has previously eaten economy-class food, the situation is aggravated. Flavors and aromas are often found in the composition of cheap products. It is addictive in animals.
How to solve a problem? Be patient and persistent. Not a single dog has starved to death next to a full bowl. If you give in even a little, you will have to constantly persuade your pet. A short-term hunger strike is safe for a healthy animal, but watch your water intake.
Even a healthy dog may be weak or simply not in the mood. For example, because of the heat, pets drink more, but eat less. After vaccinations, animals always have temporary problems with appetite. Your dog may be stressed for reasons that are not obvious. For example, when a new pet appears from neighbors.
In most cases, it is enough to simply provide the animal with peace and comfort. The ward must have his own personal corner in which he can hide from intrusive attention. Create as friendly an environment as possible and observe.
Lack of schedule
Dogs prefer to live according to a strict schedule. It is much easier for a pet to work up an appetite if he knows when he will be fed. Chaotic meals lead to disruption of internal rhythms. The pet simply does not have time to get hungry, so he eats every other time.
When scheduling, it is important to take into account the individual characteristics of the companion. For example, it is recommended to feed healthy adult dogs 2 times a day: morning and evening. Some animals eat better before a walk, others after. Please note that a break should be taken between feeding and active games to avoid volvulus.
Often we humanize and pity our pets, we try to somehow diversify their food. As a result, the companion gets all kinds of treats and food from the table. Soon the dog begins to pick and choose and only eat what he wants.
It is quite simple to wean from a bad habit. It is necessary not to react to the “puppy look” and sighs. If the dog is spinning around the table while eating, the command “Place” should be given. The companion should receive all delicacies only from the bowl. Don’t try to persuade. Let the dog understand that there will be no other food. Sooner or later, the pet will give up.
Dogs refuse dry food for a variety of reasons. Someone is capricious, but someone is simply not hungry. It is important to observe your pet to see if it is sick. The manifestation of alarming symptoms, accompanied by a prolonged hunger strike, you should contact your veterinarian.
Why the dog doesn’t eat dry food
There are many reasons why a dog might refuse a treat. The first thing to look out for is the pet’s health. Sometimes poor appetite is associated with dental disease and damage. In such cases, dogs may chew on hard objects to relieve the cause of the discomfort. Even less often, the problem arises due to systemic pathologies and lesions of the gastrointestinal tract (gastrointestinal tract).
Fortunately, things are not so bad. Usually the failure is associated with less dangerous reasons. Let’s list them.
The dog stopped eating dry food. reasons
Some dogs refuse dry food after a natural diet. This is normal, because the animal is not used to hard granules. However, sometimes pets, who have been eating “drying” all their lives, turn away from food. What does it mean? How to negotiate with a partner? Let’s try to figure it out.
Reducing physical activity
It is not uncommon for companions to skip extra portions in the fall and winter. It’s cold and dirty outside, so the owners shorten their walks. As a result, less energy is wasted. The dog adapts and requires less food.
What to do? Set aside enough time for walks during the warmer months. Take care not only of the duration, but also of the quality. Spend time on the street only with your pet. Train, play, run. If the weather conditions do not allow, find an alternative. For example toys.
The dog stopped eating dry food
Dry food has long become a common food for pets. This is due primarily to the practicality and rationality of its use. Many dog owners find it more convenient and more profitable to feed their pets with dry food than to prepare a special dish for the animal. However, it may happen that the pet stops eating his usual food. If the dog has stopped eating dry food, the first step is to find out the reason for this change.
What to do and how to help your pet
Having found out the reason for the refusal of the animal from dry food, you can take any measures to promote the return to the usual food or to change the diet. In general, subsequent actions depend on the initial factors.
So, if the reason for the refusal is a new brand of feed or its poor quality, then you just need to change the packaging. You can return the brand familiar to the pet, be sure to check when buying a diet for compliance with the quality and expiration date.
If the animal lacks variety, it is recommended to give up the usual food for a while. There are many simple pet food recipes to suit your pet. In addition, you can dilute the “drying” with wet food or canned food with different compositions.
In case of stress, it is necessary to eliminate negative factors. As already mentioned, both the environment and disturbances in the animal’s body can contribute to a stressful situation. In the case of environmental factors, it is necessary to change the environment of the animal, to be more sensitive, affectionate and attentive to him. If the cause of the stressful condition is unknown, then you should contact the veterinary clinic.
In case of reduced physical activity, it is necessary to normalize the daily routine of the animal. The pet should be occupied with something, offer longer walks with various active games, training. But the simplest and most convenient way out of this situation is to buy toys for your pet, with which he will play in the absence of the owner of the house.
If your dog is suffering from a cold or runny nose, it is recommended that you feed your pet warm or hot food. This will contribute to his speedy recovery. You can also seek help from your veterinarian to prescribe special medicines for colds or runny nose.
Reasons for refusing to “dry
An unexpected refusal of a pet from food can be a serious problem for the owners. In this case, most likely, you will have to resort to cooking. However, dogs, as you know, are not omnivores: and if one pet loves millet porridge, then another may not like it.
The reasons for the strange behavior of a pet can be completely different. The problem can be associated with both the food itself and the physiology and health of the pet. Common reasons for an animal to refuse dry food include the following:
- Another brand of feed. Animals have a tendency to get used to a certain type of food. Despite the visual similarity, many dry food have completely different composition, taste, smell, at least this concerns the flavorings that are included in the composition. Therefore, changing the brand of the finished diet, as a rule, will provoke the refusal of the animal.
- Poor feed quality. As you know, dogs have an excellent sense of smell, therefore, if the usual packaging of dry food suddenly turns out to be unusable, then the animal will immediately feel it.
- Dry food is boring. While it is believed that dogs are not particularly picky about food, they also sometimes need variety. over, the consumption of dry food alone can contribute to the appearance of various diseases in the animal.
- Stress. It’s not a secret for anyone that animals, like people, are able to experience and fall into a state of stress. This may be due to both environmental factors affecting the nervous system of the animal, and physiological, occurring directly in the pet’s body. It should be noted that this situation usually implies a complete refusal of the animal from food.
- Reduced physical activity. Many dog breeds are among those animals that constantly require physical activity. Lack of physical activity can lead to changes in the behavior of the animal, in particular, to loss of appetite and refusal of dry food.
- Cold or runny nose. As you know, the attractiveness of dry food for an animal is due to the presence of a special nutritious smell. However, if the pet loses its sense of smell, dry food ceases to be perceived by the pet as potential food.
- Physiological features. The physiological characteristics include periods such as heat or binge. At this time, the pet is far from eating. It should be noted that in this case, there is a general loss of appetite in the animal.
Advice from veterinarians
Veterinary specialists have their own opinion on this matter and suggest following these recommendations:
Some owners may start sounding the alarm if the pet has a decreased appetite. However, inexperienced dog owners, instead of addressing the root cause of decreased appetite, begin to look for possible diseases in the animal. In fact, things may not be so bad.
Naturally, refusal to eat, in particular dry food, does not always indicate any violations. It is possible that the pet is simply bored with the monotonous food, or, on the contrary, the pet is so used to its food that it will not allow it to be deceived by substituting.
What to do if your dog does not eat dry food well
Balanced and proper nutrition should be at the forefront of caring for your dog, otherwise you can face a variety of health and activity problems for your pet. If you have just become the owner of a small puppy, then a very natural question arises before you: what to feed the baby with. Sometimes, preference is given to ordinary food prepared by the owner himself, but the development of a small organism is a complex biological process and it is impossible to satisfy all the needs of a puppy with homemade food. Indeed, its development, the correct formation of muscles, the elasticity of the vascular system, the health of bones and teeth depend on what a dog eats. A loving and attentive owner must make sure that all the necessary elements are present in the pet’s diet from childhood. Most veterinarians recommend feeding your dog dry food from childhood, because it contains the full range of essential nutrients, vitamins and trace elements. If you took a dog from a nursery, then the breeder has probably already taught her to eat dry food. All you have to do is either keep feeding your new friend the same food, or find the right food for your budget. But, remember, the quality is never cheap, we recommend that you use only premium or holistic class feed. Unlike cheap economy-class feeds, they have no flavoring or aromatic additives. And if you are worried about cost, then premium food consists of naturally meat, vegetables and fruits, which means that it satiates the dog and satisfies hunger for a long time. And, as a result, the consumption of such feed is much less. It also happens that the breeder’s puppy ate with pleasure, but in the new house the dog stopped eating dry food. This is primarily due to the stress of moving into a new living environment. Experts recommend that you do not force her to eat dry food, but try to soak a few granules in water and give this gruel to your pet. Then add dry granules to the soaked food, gradually introducing dry food, by this point the dog is already fully adapting to the new conditions and regime.
The dog does not want to eat dry food yet because of the incorrect feeding regime of the new owners. Breeders teach the puppy to feed a certain amount and 2 times a day. And many owners put much larger portions of food in the bowl or start feeding the dog from their table, showing their love for a new family member. But with such behavior, they only harm their pet, interrupt his appetite and lose the dog’s interest in dog food. And then the dog is surprised to eat poorly dry food, what to do. Here it is already clear what to do, learn not to respond to the begging of the dog, and keep yourself in hand from the temptation to feed the puppy outside of the regime. If you follow these simple rules, then the problem that the dog does not eat dry food can be easily solved.
If you already have an adult pet who always ate with pleasure and suddenly refuses to eat dry food, then you need to figure out what the reason is and how to get the dog to eat food again. First of all, you should observe the life of your dog, the alarming facts for you should be: lethargy, refusal of water, gastrointestinal upset. The dog should be shown to a doctor immediately, who will exclude damage by fleas, ticks or helminths. If the veterinarian has ruled out these parasites, then the cause must be looked for elsewhere. Consider the possible options for why the dog does not want to eat food and how to regain its appetite.
You have changed feed. Despite the fact that all feeds look like granules, the composition is completely different. The dog gets used to a certain taste and it is very difficult to get the dog to eat new food. Especially if you are moving from an economy class filled with preservatives and flavor enhancers to premium or holistic natural food.
Any changes in the pet’s life. A dog can, just like a person, be sad because of a move or simply experience stressful situations. It takes time and the care of a loving owner to recover.
How to get your Dog to eat Dry Dog Food.
Some dog breeds are inherently very active animals. And if you do not be active with them, do not give them the necessary physical activity, dogs can lose their appetite and completely refuse to feed.
A dog’s illness can cause the dog to eat poorly or refuse it altogether. Be sure to contact your veterinarian.
Some dogs, oddly enough, just like humans, are weather-dependent. A change in climate can affect their appetite. On hot days, the dog drinks more than it eats. Make sure that the animal always has a bowl of clean drinking water freely available.
Physiological changes in the dog, such as periods such as estrus or the puerperium.
Once you have established the cause, try to force the dog to eat dry food again. To do this, you can follow some of our tips:
You can’t yell at the dog and force it to eat, try to persuade it to eat in a calm voice, have mercy, caress it, talk to it. She will remember that food is something pleasant, not aggressive. Oddly enough, but many dogs it helps.
Mix dry food with a treat your dog likes.
Leave your dog in water only for a couple of days. After such a forced hunger strike, the dog will again start eating dry food with pleasure. Never use this method on pregnant or lactating dogs.
Try softening dry granules in water.
The reasons for refusing dry food can be very diverse, and observing the pet will help to understand why this happened, if you do not find an answer, seek help from specialists. Try to provide your pet with a comfortable psychological atmosphere, walk with him and surround him with care and attention. It is important to love your dog and he will reciprocate you.
It is important to pay attention to the number of pellets in the bowl if the puppy is not eating dry food. Features of feeding and norms are prescribed on the package, where the manufacturer indicates the required volume for each age, taking into account the needs of a young organism.
Serving sizes can vary depending on the breed of the pet, its age, and the composition of the food itself. If something in the instructions confuses, it is better to consult with a specialist.
Do not leave food freely available. If, after the pet has had breakfast, there is something left in the bowl, all this must be removed until the next time.
But what to do, the puppy does not eat dry food, although all nutritional recommendations were followed, and the doctor only confirmed the excellent state of health?
Choice of feed
Breeders, giving away a tailed friend, almost always already accustom him to a certain type of food and recommend adhering to it.
However, it happens that the new owners decide to transfer the dog to a new food. This may be due to various factors, including health, the inability to purchase a familiar product, or the fact that the puppy stopped eating dry food, which he used to crush on both cheeks.
How to choose a quality “drying”? Of course, it would be nice to consult with the breeders. Knowing the characteristics of the breed and heredity, they can suggest the best option for a suitable feed.
If the puppy is taken from the street, then such recommendations will be given by the veterinarian, based on the age and state of health of the baby.
But they all agree on one thing. the food should be super-premium or holistic. Such food contains a large amount of meat, grains, vitamins and minerals necessary for a full life of the dog. Unlike cheap food, there are no flavors or aromas in it. Such feed satisfies hunger is also much better than economy options, and due to this it is consumed much more slowly.
The taste preferences of the baby cannot be ignored either. If he does not respect veal, then he will turn up his nose from pellets based on it.
One of the reasons for a dog’s refusal from industrial food can be an incorrect feeding regime. Many owners leave a large amount of food in bowls in constant access or give him something from the table, and then, killing his appetite, the puppy does not eat dry food. What to do is clear here. It is necessary to learn not to react to begging, and to train the dog to a certain schedule of food intake.
However, it is different for different ages. The younger the puppy, the more often it needs to be fed:
- Kutyats eat 1-2 months 6 times a day.
- Dogs from 2 to 3 months 5 times a day.
- 4-month-old dogs eat 4 times a day.
- 4 to 6 months. 3 times.
- Starting from the age of six months of the teenager, it is time to transfer from three meals a day to the adult schedule and give “drying” no more than 2 times.
If you follow these rules, you can solve the problem that the puppy does not eat dry food. Everything should be done gradually, if possible, in consultation with a specialist.
The puppy does not eat dry food: what to do, possible causes and consequences
Having a puppy at home is a big responsibility. As a child, he requires a lot of attention and care. And nutrition takes an important place in caring for it.
Stress and life changes
Moving to a new place of residence, the appearance of another animal or a new person in the house, changing the diet. all this is a great stress for the dog, and he can give up the usual food. A responsible owner should be patient and try to pay more attention to his charge if the puppy stops eating dry food. What to do if a hunger strike is associated with a change in residence?
You need to be patient a little, kids quickly get used to the situation. But with new members of the puppy’s family, it is important to introduce and explain the rules of behavior with them: a kutenok must obey a person, and not offend animals.
Reducing walking time can also lead to loss of appetite. The dog spends less energy and, accordingly, the amount of required portion is reduced.
A much bigger problem for him is the sudden transition to a new type of food. Therefore, even changing one brand of feed to another can cause a protest. As mentioned above, so that the process is not painful, it must be done gradually.
It can be difficult to buy expensive industrial food instead of cheap. Economy food contains a lot of flavorings, which can be addictive in the dog.
Probably the biggest stress for a puppy is separation from its mother and a change of owner. And if in the latter case the kutyats come to their senses rather quickly with due attention, then in the second situation they can become sad for a long time. The stage of getting used to a new person can be time-consuming and demanding. It all depends on the age of the baby. Puppies of 1-3 months begin to perceive the owner after a few days, adolescents of 6-9 months can be depressed for a long time and refuse even their favorite food. The owner must show patience, show the dog that he is loved and will not be abandoned, devote a lot of time and energy to her.
Ready-to-eat or natural food?
The development of a small organism is a complex biological process. The correct formation of the muscle frame, bones and teeth of a dog depends on what it eats. Therefore, it is necessary that all the necessary elements are present in her diet from childhood.
Of course, natural nutrition is undoubtedly good for the puppy, but at home it is quite difficult to balance all the substances in the right amount.
Most veterinarians advise giving kutenok industrial food, since its composition is fully adapted to its needs.