Lack of appetite due to psychological problems
Yes, in the modern world, dogs very often suffer from various disorders: depression, anxiety, sexual inactivity. When food refusal is caused by psychological problems, this is preceded by strong or weak changes in behavior: depression, loss of interest in play, anxiety, obsessive behavior. Common reasons: moving, separation from the owner, the appearance of a child in the house, dogs hunting in the neighborhood.
When the dog refuses to eat while feeling well, it may be due to insufficient exercise. Getting full nutrition, she simply does not have time to spend energy and the feeling of hunger does not appear.
Heat in the warm season has a significant effect on appetite.
Puppies often refuse to eat while teething. This process gives them anxiety and discomfort, often so strong that the crumbs have no time for food.
Puppy females refuse to eat on the eve of childbirth. After whelping, if the placenta is eaten, they may not eat from 5 hours to 3 days.
Dog Won’t Eat? 7 Ways to Overcome Loss of Appetite in Dogs
A healthy puppy does not want to eat, he is worried about his teeth
When refusing to eat should alert you?
Some dogs arrange their own “fasting days” if the owner does not. At the same time, they play as always, are active, cheerful and cheerful. But, if more than a day has passed since the refusal of food, the dog looks lethargic and tired. this is a reason for an early appeal to the veterinarian.
When refusal to eat is accompanied by any alarming symptoms: lethargy, fever, vomiting, lack of coordination, pain, problems with stools, etc. Contacting the clinic should be immediate.
Why the dog doesn’t eat: reasons what to do if he refuses to eat?
It is easy to understand the anxiety of the owners when the dog does not eat or eats without appetite. Often this behavior is within the norm, but sometimes it is caused by serious illness. How to identify causes of refusal to eat and improve appetite.
What to do?
After the first refusal to eat, even if a one-time lack of appetite was observed earlier, the owner needs to carefully examine the pet and analyze its condition. There should be no noticeable change in behavior. The same goes for stool and urination, which you need to pay attention to while walking. If the dog lives in the yard, you will have to look out for the presence of fresh “piles”.
Disruption of the gastrointestinal tract is a common reason for refusing to feed, but what causes it remains to be seen: helminths, poisoning (often in dogs who like to pick up everything from the ground), gastritis, enteritis, etc. Lack of urine or pain during urination may indicate diseases of the genitourinary system: cystitis, urethritis, prostatitis (in males), urolithiasis, etc.
Be sure to look into the oral cavity. With stomatitis, tartar, trauma after chewing plastic bottles or boards, the dog may not eat well, simply because it hurts.
With stroking movements, you need to feel the entire body of the animal. Pay attention to whether there are painful reactions to touch in any area. If the dog is experiencing pain, discomfort, or other discomfort, this may affect its appetite. On a walk, she could twist or injure her paw. And of course she will refuse to eat if she has a stomach ache or swollen intestines.
Other warning signs include tremors, shortness of breath, drowsiness, and unnatural postures during sleep and / or wakefulness.
A simple and revealing analysis is temperature measurement, which many owners forget or hesitate to do. Measured with a conventional mercury or electronic thermometer rectally. If this is not a month old Chihuahua puppy, the procedure does not cause any pain. Discomfort, yes. Normally, the temperature of puppies and dogs of dwarf breeds ranges from 37.5-39 ° C. In adult dogs. 37.5-38.5 ° C. It would be nice to know in advance what temperature is the norm.
Some dogs from time to time arrange for themselves “fasting days”
The dog begins to go over the food for many reasons. When she is fed from the table from time to time, the food in the bowl no longer seems so attractive. Lack of appetite may be associated with switching to a different type of feeding: from dry to home feeding or vice versa.
Sometimes it turns out that the dog was naughty due to the fact that the recently purchased food turned out to be stale. This slightly musty smell, which a person barely picks up, completely ruined her appetite.
He begins to rummage in a bowl for a long time, when he gets bored with buckwheat with rice and veal for the second year in a row. This is quite natural. Few pets can sit on the same menu for so long without showing dissatisfaction.
Owners of these dogs know that their pets can easily miss one or sometimes even two feeds. Well, if this has not happened, this is a cause for concern.
Common reasons for refusing to feed
Healthy animals can skip one or two feedings, but this behavior almost always requires analysis and intervention on the part of the owner.
No appetite during illness, feeling unwell
When a dog is being treated, especially if it is a serious illness that is accompanied by fever and poor health, the lack of appetite is understandable. Interest in food begins to return when the animal is on the mend.
A recent vaccination may be the reason for refusal to feed. Despite the relative safety of vaccines, various side effects are quite common: fever, lethargy, lack of appetite for 1-3 days.
The use of anesthesia during surgical interventions can make animals have a good appetite for several days.
If the dog is not eating, no need to force him.
If the dog has worms, deworming drugs are prescribed. Puppies are prescribed Drontal Junior, a suspension that is injected into the mouth with a syringe without a needle. Older dogs are prescribed tablets: Azinox, Drontal Plus and others.
Azinox tablets are designed to remove worms.
It is recommended to remove worms from pets every quarter. Of course, if there are no signs of worms, and the pet is constantly walking under supervision and does not pick up anything from the ground, you can not poison him with pills. But still, once every six months, they carry out preventive cleaning, because the eggs of worms can be brought into a room with dirty shoes. To protect the liver during the expulsion of worms, hepatoprotectors are used.
If the stomach is clogged with bones or the pet has swallowed an inedible object, the help of a surgeon will be needed. It is impossible to remove bone fragments without surgery. They can injure the intestinal mucosa.
An inedible item can only be removed by surgery.
What not to do if your dog can’t go to the bathroom in a big way
Many dog owners are not used to seeing a veterinarian. They start treating the dog on their own. It should be remembered that some unskilled actions can cause a deterioration, and in some cases, death of a pet.
If you are constipated, do not force your dog to eat.
- Force feed the dog.
- Get her to exercise.
- If it is reliably known that the pet has swallowed an inedible object, you should not independently engage in its extraction using laxatives.
The veterinarian will first simply examine the animal and interview the owner. In some conditions, this is enough to make a diagnosis.
It is very important to note whether the animal has a urge to defecate or whether it does not try to go to the toilet for a long time at all. If there is a suspicion of internal diseases or the presence of a foreign object in the digestive tract, an x-ray is prescribed.
X-rays are prescribed if there is a suspicion of internal diseases.
For a more informative study, X-ray with contrast can be used. If the X-ray examination failed to see the exact cause, an ultrasound of the peritoneum is additionally prescribed.
Having found out the reason, the doctor will be able to prescribe treatment. Consider the main methods for eliminating constipation.
Why a dog can’t go to the toilet in a big way?
The dog goes for a walk every day and the owner already knows exactly when it poops. Absence of stool for more than 2 days is considered a violation and requires immediate clarification of the reasons. You cannot let the disease take its course. Constipation is a violation of the process of defecation and there may be several reasons for it. Let’s consider them in more detail and give recommendations on how to act in this or that case.
To understand what caused constipation, you need to observe the pet: whether he continues to eat and drink, whether there is vomiting. The temperature should be measured to find out if there is inflammation.
The owner of the dog can determine the tendency to constipation by the consistency of the feces. If it is dry and hard, and also quite wide, then this prevents the animal from emptying.
It is best not to try to help the animal at random. Enemas can only be harmful, especially if the dog has an obstruction. Therefore, the first thing to do is visit the veterinarian and get tested.
Laxatives and enemas
The laxative is used as an express remedy to empty the intestines. It is impossible to resort to such treatment all the time. The use of laxatives is addictive, and the intestines cease to function normally. You can give your dog vegetable oil or magnesia.
Vegetable oil can be given to your dog as a laxative.
The doctor may prescribe an enema to soften the stool and purify the bowel. To do this, you can use a rubber bulb or Esmarch mug. Decorative dogs need 200-300 ml of water, and large breeds will need about 1 liter.
- The water for the enema is boiled and cooled to 30 ° C.
- For an enema, you can use a decoction of chamomile or calendula. Before the introduction of the liquid into the anus, the tip is lubricated with petroleum jelly and the excess air is released from the pear.
- Then the tip is inserted into the anus and the broth is slowly injected into the intestines.
It is advisable to carry out the procedure with an assistant. Enema does not bring joy to the pet, so it can snarl or break out, and it is very easy to injure its anus.
During the enema, the animal is placed in a bath or basin so as not to stain the room with feces. After the procedure, it is advisable to go outside, where the pet can empty itself.
If constipation is caused by improper diet, the specialist will give the following recommendations:
- With natural nutrition, vegetables and bran are added to the menu. Beets, carrots, pumpkin help to cleanse the intestines. Vegetables can be offered raw to the dog or boiled together with cereals.
- Exclude chicken bones completely. They are of no benefit, while they can cause obstruction or even perforation of the intestinal walls.
- Unsuitable dry food is replaced with another. If this does not help, transfer the animal to natural food.
- Fermented milk products are introduced into the pet’s diet.
Intestinal obstruction is a serious pathology in which the pet dies if timely assistance is not provided.
Blockage can occur from eating brittle bones.
- blockage of the intestine by foreign bodies;
- vascular embolism.
Blockage can occur due to eating fragile bones or swallowing foreign objects. pieces of wire, pebbles, a piece of polyethylene. This type is called ileus. In babies, clogging of worms with crowded tangles is possible.
Infringement may occur due to volvulus of the stomach or infringement of a hernia.
A significant amount of air or fat can accumulate in the cavity of the vessels, as a result of which there is a blockage of blood vessels and obstruction.
Reasons for refusing food and vomiting
If the body temperature rises, the dog may vomit.
The reasons why food and water refusal and vomiting may be present may be as follows:
- parvovirus gastroenteritis;
- the presence of a foreign body in the lumen of the stomach or intestines;
- intestinal intussusception;
- organ failure;
- increased body temperature.
Features of the
The latent period of the disease can last up to three days.
- There are three periods of pathology. incubation, clinical and final period.
- The latent period can last up to three days.
- As a rule, the disease occurs in two forms. gastroenteritis with myocarditis and gastroenteritis.
- By severity. mild, moderate and severe.
With pathology of the stomach, progressive vomiting is observed.
Pronounced signs occur with pathology of the stomach and duodenum.
With this development of events, progressive vomiting is observed, complete apathy of the animal, pain syndrome is expressed. The patient’s condition is rapidly deteriorating. The manifestation of symptoms is possible only in the form of general weakness and apathy, occasionally vomiting. The further fate of the dog depends only on the speed of the owner’s reaction. Delay is fraught with death.
There is no medical remedy for the problem. Intussusception is removed only with surgery.
After the operation, the doctor prescribes anti-inflammatory drugs.
If there is necrosis of intestinal tissue, the doctor performs a bowel resection. In the postoperative period, the doctor will prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs, antibiotics, drugs that support the general condition of the patient.
Pathology includes several types: acute hepatic dystrophy, chronic hepatic failure, portocaval shunting.
In acute hepatic dystrophy, generalized damage to the hepatic tissue occurs, which has arisen as a result of exposure to infections and toxins.
With hepatic dystrophy, damage to the liver tissue occurs.
Chronic liver failure is characterized by slow development, but the provoking factors are the same as in the first case.
Portal shunting is extremely rare, but this does not diminish the danger of this pathology. In the presence of an ailment, vascular anastomoses are formed, through which blood flows directly into the general bloodstream.
Parvovirus is the smallest virus that infects vertebrates.
Resistant to environmental influences, withstands low temperatures, adapts well to high temperatures. Only boiling kills the virus. All types of dogs are at risk of disease, regardless of breed.
The main outbreak occurs in spring, continues in summer and autumn, and decreases in winter. Young individuals who have not reached the age of one year are more susceptible due to poorly developed immunity. But older dogs also run the risk of becoming infected when the immune system is already significantly weakened.
Younger dogs are more susceptible to the disease.
Pets who have been ill and sick at the moment are spreading the disease.
The main task of the veterinarian is to eliminate symptoms.
- Portocaval shunting requires a surgical approach to treatment.
- The first days of the rehabilitation period after the operation are carried out in the clinic, under the strict supervision of a doctor.
- Opisthorchiasis is eliminated by direct agents destructive to the worm. hexachloroparaxylene. In this case, a special diet is used to reduce the load on the liver and drugs are prescribed to help this organ recover.
- The main task of the doctor is to eliminate the symptoms and apply narrowly targeted remedies to eliminate the primary pathology. Further, supportive therapy is carried out.
- Medicines are recommended to restore the resistant properties of the body. vitamins, immunostimulants.
- It may be necessary to use antibiotic therapy and anti-inflammatory drugs.
- It is advisable to prescribe hepatoprotectors to restore hepatic functions and prescribe cardiac drugs to maintain the cardiovascular system.
If the puppy does not drink water
Every animal must have constant access to water. You must always ensure that the water is clean and in sufficient quantity. In this case, the bowl must be rinsed with antibacterial agents and wiped thoroughly with a napkin.
For puppies, this rule also applies, especially strictly for those who feed the animal with dry ready-made food. Eating food, the dog wants to drink a lot, so the water should always be clean and abundant. If the puppy suddenly stopped drinking water, or began to noticeably drink less of it, then this may indicate the presence of various diseases. In such cases, you need to contact your veterinarian.
The main reasons for the refusal of a puppy from water are considered to be:
- The ingestion of various small objects into the animal’s body
- Obstructed bowel obstruction
- Diseases of the internal organs.
If there is a refusal to drink water, you need to remember whether the puppy could have swallowed something on the street or at home, look at the room, perhaps the puppy had access to drugs or chemicals. In such cases, poisoning is the reason for the refusal to drink water.
In this case, it is worth carefully examining the puppy for other possible symptoms, such as:
- lack of appetite;
- severe lethargy;
- the puppy’s eyes may be slightly reddened.
What the owner needs to do
To avoid dehydration of the body, you should not allow long-term refusal of fluid from the animal, carefully examine and take to the veterinarian.
If dehydration occurs, do not pour water into the puppy, this can cause vomiting. In such cases, the puppy should be given a dropper with saline solution, or liquid should be injected directly under the withers. Such procedures should only be performed by a doctor. Do such procedures to an extreme degree of dehydration.
If it is not possible to quickly contact the veterinarian, you can use some ways to alleviate the condition of the animal: place the puppy in a cool place, but avoid drafts. This will keep the body from overheating. Moisten the mouth often. moisturizing the mucous membrane will improve the condition.
Keep a close eye on the puppy’s diet and what might interest him. Any ingress of foreign bodies into the body is fraught with serious consequences. If you have problems with the refusal of your pet from water, you should not self-medicate!
Reasons Why Your Dog Doesn’t Drink Water
There are main reasons why a dog may stop drinking water. Namely:
- Dirty water in a bowl. Some dogs feel stale water and may refuse to drink it. Every day you need to change the container with water, pouring fresh. It is advisable to rinse the bowl well. In the summertime, clean water should be poured every 3-4 hours.
- Some animals may not like the dishes they drink from. May smell or smell from detergents.
- Various injuries to the oral cavity of an animal. Due to discomfort when drinking, the dog may refuse water.
- Incorrectly selected food. Often pets refuse because of the intake of dry food, which may not have been selected for the breed of the animal.
- Various viral diseases. In these cases, the pet may refuse to drink and eat, due to the fever.
- Various diseases such as diabetes, kidney failure, malignant tumors.
Experts also talk about a separate category, namely pregnant and older dogs. They may also refuse to drink water.
From this, we can conclude that there are minor causes that can be eliminated very quickly, and there are hidden serious diseases that can cause poor health and refusal of water. For any symptoms, it is better to observe the four-legged to seek the advice of a doctor.
The dog stopped drinking water. why is it bad
If you managed to find out why the dog refuses water, you should also familiarize yourself with what it can develop into. After all, keeping the water balance normal is the key to a healthy body.
If your four-legged friend is dehydrated, it can cause loss of appetite, lethargy, and a severe decline in activity. Such symptoms should be the reason for contacting a veterinarian.
What to do when your dog not eating food or drinking water l Tips on LOSS OF APPETITE l
Important! The dog must drink a certain amount of liquid according to a certain formula. For each individual, the rate is different, depending on the weight and breed of the animal.
This formula is very simple. Namely: 20-70mg of liquid per 1 kg of animal. And if your pet weighs about 10 kg, then the daily fluid intake is about 200-700 ml.
At the same time, in summer and winter, the amount of water you drink may differ. In the summer, your pet can drink two or three times as much liquid.
As with humans, for an animal, a small amount of water in the body can cause many diseases and poor health. You need to closely monitor how much fluid your animal drinks throughout the day.
Reasons and what to do if the dog refuses to drink water
Very often, four-legged owners are faced with the fact that the dog does not drink water. Such a sign may be a clear cause of the disease or poor condition of the pet. An alarm bell, which may indicate a possible illness, at this time it is very important to take care and visit the veterinarian.
Water for a dog is a guarantee of health
To avoid health problems, the dog must drink its daily water intake. In this case, the diet should be balanced. If the dog eats dry food, you need to additionally use fermented milk products and various fruits and vegetables.
Many owners wonder how to get a dog to drink water. In fact, there are only some tips that can attract an animal and want to drink water.
If the dog is sick, you can inject water with a syringe down the throat, in small doses. It is important for healthy individuals to observe the correct activity regimen.
Physical activity and frequent walking in the fresh air will provoke the animal to drink a lot. To do this, you can use various portable drinkers and give water for walks. In summer, this condition is mandatory for morning and evening walks, especially in hot weather.
For those who cannot use liquid food in the animal’s diet, it is recommended to soak dry food for 20-30 minutes before giving it to the dog. At the same time, food should be available only after walking.
If you notice that your pet is refusing to drink water, this could mean an overflowing bladder. Prolonged stay of the animal in the house and infrequent walks can be the reasons for refusing water. You also need to follow the rule when the container with water is in the same place all the time. The dog must be sure that he can go to drink at any time. Animals that are outside should also have a container with a drink near the booth.
Important! During hot seasons, you can throw a few ice cubes into a bowl of water to keep the water cool and the temperature rise easier for your dog. No need to put a bowl of water in direct sunlight, dogs don’t like to drink warm water.
If such methods did not succeed in attracting the animal to a bowl of water, you can try to change the drinking bowl, different shapes and colors will arouse more interest in the animal.
If the dog stops drinking water, this may indicate various diseases. You can independently examine the animal for various symptoms and contact your veterinarian. If there are no obvious symptoms of the disease, you can resort to various methods that will interest the dog and it will restore the water balance.
You should not use force and force the animal to drink. Better to use ice cube tricks or bowl changes. In this case, you should not let the dog drink water from a puddle while walking, but rather use drinking bowls with clean water.
A good water balance in the body is very important for both the puppy and the adult dog. In addition, you need to regularly visit your veterinarian to avoid unpleasant situations and diseases.
The dog does not eat: when to sound the alarm
In general, dogs can skip meals. And this does not always indicate a problem. But if more than 36 hours have passed, it’s best to call your veterinarian. Have you noticed that your pet has a fever, vomiting, pain syndrome, he refuses water, has a temperature? Or, for a long time, constipation or diarrhea?
Then urgently take the four-legged to the clinic!
The dog refuses to eat: what to do
One of the main tasks of dog owners is to create a balanced diet for their pet. They must receive all the necessary nutrients from food. There should be no deficiency of vitamins, macro- and microelements. It is important to maintain the correct ratio of proteins, fats and carbohydrates. This largely depends on the breed. Someone needs more protein and calcium, others a certain amount of fat.
Composing a diet is a serious task. To do this, you can contact the specialists. But sometimes pets have digestive problems. If the dog refuses to eat, then this may indicate the presence of certain problems. It is not worth sounding the alarm right away. Sometimes it is just a mild malaise. In this article, we will list the most common reasons for rejection. But remember that only a qualified specialist can make an accurate diagnosis.
The dog refuses to eat: what could be the reason
Like humans, animals also have various psychological problems. This is reflected in the same way in nutrition. Think you yourself may not be able to eat because of the excitement.
The following psychological problems can affect appetite:
- depression. yes, yes, and this ailment occurs in dogs. During such periods, the dog feels depressed and loses interest in everything. Various factors can cause a similar condition. Very often. moving or changing the place of residence. And also separation from the owner
- anxiety is among the common reasons for refusing to eat. Most often, her dog feels when the owners leave for a while. In addition, external factors can frighten the dog. For example a thunderstorm
- sexual passivity. especially in males. For a long time, has a pet been unable to realize its natural instinct? This affects his quality of life. Most likely, he will refuse not only to eat, but also to play, to walk.
Often, if the dog is not eating due to psychological problems, then its condition can be stabilized simply and quickly. To do this, it is necessary to provide the four-legged rest. There should also be enough attention from the person or the opposite sex. But if the problem persists for a long time, then hurry to the vet.
Why a dog doesn’t eat: what diseases can lead to it
- helminths. if a four-footed person has caught worms somewhere, then this can have a bad effect on the quality of life. Therefore, it is important for owners to timely carry out prophylaxis against parasites. As a rule, the procedure is carried out every six months or a year. Signs of this ailment can be a bloated stomach and lethargy.
- dental problems. you need to carefully monitor the health of the oral cavity of the quadruped. Tartar erodes enamel over time and leads to tooth loss. And then the dog does not eat well simply because it hurts to chew. Today, you can find many products for the care of teeth for dogs on sale. There are also special procedures for cleaning tartar.
- Oral Injury. Examine this area carefully for damage. If present, it may be painful for the dog to chew and eat.
- upset stomach. poisoning is a very serious problem. Don’t let your dog climb the trash cans or grab something outside. This is dangerous and can be fatal. If there is a reason to believe that the dog has poisoning. urgently see a specialist. Serious indicator. the pet does not eat or drink
- health problems. poor appetite may indicate the presence of a number of diseases in the quadruped. For example: with the thyroid gland, cardiovascular system, lungs, oncology. To avoid this, it is important to take your pet to the clinic for examination every year.
The dog does not eat: what to do?
What to do if your dog is not eating
You know your dog the best, so watch him. Are there any changes in behavior? If so, what can they testify to? How strange and dangerous they are to health?
- Some dogs are picky about their food. Try not feeding them for 12 hours or a day. Another option is to offer different food.
- You can warm up food. there are dogs that prefer warm food
- Even if the pet does not eat, then it must have free access to clean water.
- Make sure your four-footed friend does not eat anything off the floor or outside. And from waste bins in the yard or a trash can at home, even more so!
Be considerate of your dog. Monitor the quality of his food. If you notice something strange and doubt whether it is a serious reason or not, it is better to play it safe and consult a veterinarian. The main thing is not to panic. We wish your pet good health and longevity!
When it’s ok
If the dog (or puppy) is not eating, but there is no change in normal behavior, then don’t worry. It is not necessary to force, persuade, try to feed from the hand. Skipping a feed is not dangerous for your dog. It is normal to live half a day or even a day without food for an animal.
German shepherd puppies
Possible reasons why the animal has no appetite:
- During heat, the bitches may not want to eat at all or eat less than usual. This is normal. A veterinarian is needed if the cycle is over, but the dog’s appetite has not appeared.
- Males during their sexual heat become irritable and often refuse to eat at such moments.
- A feature of large breed puppies is the jumps in food needs. Their strong feeling of hunger is replaced by complete indifference to food.
- During teething, puppies may refuse to eat. You can offer him soft food, you can give him something cool to relieve pain.
- A dog may have poor appetite in hot weather. She needs more water in the summer.
- Recently transferred anesthesia can discourage an animal’s appetite for a couple of days.
- The introduction of new mineral supplements or vitamins in the diet can provoke a decrease in appetite.
- Dogs that have unloved foods may refuse food if they smell it. This often happens to capricious individuals.
- The animal wants variety. That is, they give him the same food for a long time, and he is simply tired of him. Try to vary your food. Give your pet fish or vegetables.
- If the dog is fed with something in between feedings, then it may refuse to eat due to the fact that it is already full. This often happens when the animal gets something from the master’s table. For the same reason, the dog may decide that its food is not tasty enough and will wait for it to get something from the table.
- Inactive lifestyle. If you walk a little with the dog, it does not waste energy, then there may be no appetite. Increase the duration and / or frequency of walking and watch for changes.
- Serving size incorrectly calculated. Perhaps the dog is being given more food than it needs, and it does not have time to get hungry until the next feed. Give her half of her usual serving.
If the dog eats poorly, but at the same time is active, then nothing bothers him. The animal may lose the desire to eat for a short period of time, but this is quite normal.
What to do if your dog is not eating well or at all?
The caring owner always sees if something is wrong with the pet. Food in a dog’s bowl can mean one thing. the dog didn’t eat it.
If this is a one-time shot and the dog does not feel discomfort, then there is no cause for concern. If this is observed for several days, then it is worth identifying the cause. Next, we will figure out what to do if the dog does not eat.
What to do when your dog refuses to eat?
Reasons why a puppy doesn’t eat can be commonplace.
- If he was just weaned from his mother and brought to a new home, he may not eat due to melancholy.
- He is used to a certain diet and does not want (or is afraid) to eat something new.
- He doesn’t like food.
- The bowl smells of other animals.
When a puppy refuses to eat, the first step is to identify the cause. If he has just been brought home, it is necessary to ensure that he has a quiet stay during the first few days. Let him get used to the owners and to the new place. Do not bring it to your home when there are a lot of guests.
It is imperative to find out from the previous owners what kind of food the puppy is used to. Even if you think it is wrong, at first let him eat what he is used to. It will be necessary to transfer to a new diet later and this should be done gradually.
If it is not possible to feed with what he was fed earlier, you need to choose the food that the puppy will like to taste. The main task at this stage is to regain appetite and not lose immunity.
What else to do if your puppy is not eating well? Introduce vitamins and supplements into the diet. They will help strengthen your pet’s immunity and improve digestion when switching to a new diet. Prebiotic drinks for dogs often come to the rescue here. With their help, you can solve two problems at once. to strengthen the immune system and improve appetite.
If an adult pet loses its appetite, the best option is to visit a veterinarian.
Pathological causes of loss of appetite
Stress can be the reason for refusing to eat your dog. For example, she recently suffered a move or was scared by something (thunderstorm, loud noise). In this case, the pet needs to be given more attention, at the moment it needs affection.
We need to give the animal time to deal with stress. Skip feeding, maybe not one, but two. The next day, you need to add food and observe whether the situation has changed.
If, after skipping a feed the next day, the dog’s appetite is okay, then there is no cause for concern. Perhaps the dog just arranged a relief for his body. After all, people also have moments when they do not want to eat for no apparent reason.
If the dog is not eating anything, it can indicate health problems ranging from minor to the most serious. Pathological reasons for refusing to eat:
- Disease of the stomach. As a rule, in addition to refusing to eat in such cases, the animal begins to vomit. If this symptom does not go away for three or more days, this is a reason to contact your veterinarian.
- The presence of worms. Parasites interfere with the normal functioning of the digestive tract. The animal has apathy and lethargy.
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system. In addition to loss of appetite, symptoms such as nausea, dry cough (coughing) are observed. You will need a qualified specialist.
- Toothache. The pet refuses to eat because it hurts to chew. You can hardly do without visiting a veterinary clinic.
- A distended belly in a dog that is eating nothing may indicate volvulus.
- Infectious diseases. The sick animal does not want to eat. over, even ear disease can discourage a dog’s appetite.
– I do not want.
If the dog is lethargic and lies all the time, you need to observe it and find out if there are other symptoms. For instance:
- hard breath;
- decreased or complete lack of activity, the dog lies mainly on its side;
- the animal hunches its back;
- snaps at the touch of the owners;
- sleeps for a long time.
A dog that does not eat, but only drinks, could get sick with something more serious. Such diseases include diabetes mellitus, Cushing’s syndrome, inflammation of the uterus, Addison’s disease. It is almost impossible to independently determine what exactly the dog is sick with without tests. There is no need to risk the health (and, possibly, life) of the animal, you need to go to the veterinary clinic for examination.
Changes in the stool and urine of the animal will also indicate a serious illness. Blood impurities are not normal. If the dog does not eat, only drinks water and is sluggish at the same time, this can signal kidney problems.
What not to do?
If your dog refuses to eat today but eats tomorrow as if nothing had happened, do not give him an increased portion. Sometimes the owners feel that the missed feeding should be compensated. No, don’t. Give the usual portion as usual.
If the dog has refused food once, but there are no other symptoms, do not pamper him. Often, after the first refusal, the owners begin to give other food or harmful snacks from their hands. So the dog will understand that the owner can be manipulated. Thus, by solving one problem, the owners acquire another. This pampering will come out sideways for them and the dog will not benefit.
If the animal refuses to eat in the morning, wait about half an hour and put the food in a cold place. You can’t leave a bowl of food all day. Do not give her snacks until the evening feed. Until the evening, only water. Do not feed her any other food or from your table. In the evening, just warm up and give a morning serving.
Leaving the food left the dog can eat a little throughout the day and will get used to it literally the first time. This provokes a violation of appetite. You can not break the regime because of one or two refusals to eat.
If it is hot outside and the dog drinks, but eats little (or does not eat at all), do not take him for a walk. Let her sit out the heat in a cool place.
A wet and cold nose and activity of the dog indicate its normal condition. If the dog refuses to eat, but its condition has not changed, then everything is fine with the animal. Always watch for changes in behavior and condition. If the animal is sick, then it is unlikely that this will not attract the attention of a caring owner.