The owners often carry out claw trimming only on the front legs, forgetting about the need to carry out this on the hind legs. They should be the same length on all limbs. If mating is planned by the owner, sharp tips can injure another animal. It is also imperative to carry out this procedure before exhibitions, other events where the pet will take part, by transportation over long distances. In this case, the haircut schedule must be adjusted.
There are a number of points that must be followed when carrying out these manipulations. If the pet is sick, in a nervous state, it is advisable to postpone the procedure to a later date. There are some tips on how to properly trim your cat’s nails:
- the owner must wash his hands;
- treat the paws of the animal with a disinfectant solution or sanitizer;
- to process all the tools used;
- take the cat in your arms, calm her down, stroke her, gently and carefully start the procedure;
- the paw must be held firmly, but gently, without causing pain;
- for the cat to release its claws, you need to gently press on the center of the paw pads;
- find the edge, substituting it in the light, in its part, painted in pink, there are vessels, nerve endings that cannot be damaged;
- cut off the free area, leaving a few millimeters from it;
- file the edge so that there are no roughness.
During the procedure, the pet can be soothed by gently talking to him, stroking. This will relieve stress, and the haircut itself will not form associations with pain or fear. If necessary, you can use the help of other family members. If the tips are too hard and dense, nippers can be used.
The entire instrument had to be sterile. This minimizes the risk of infection if blood vessels are damaged.
If the overgrown edge is colored with black pigment, it is better not to cut a little than to overdo it and damage the tissue with capillaries. With experience, the owner will learn to intuitively understand where to cut the tips of the claws. The first haircut should be carried out under the supervision of a veterinarian or a person with experience in this matter.
In the wild, representatives of the feline genus cope on their own. their claws are grinded in a natural way on the soil, tree bark, during hunting and under other circumstances. Pets do not have such an opportunity, since instead of solid earth, stones and tree trunks under their paws, they have laminate or carpets. Their claws grow in the same way as those of wild relatives. The animal begins to cling to the surface of objects, textile upholstery. This causes inconvenience to the pet itself, and also spoils things.
The owner must keep track of the length of the overgrown edge. A cat clipper is useful for this. It is worth carrying out these manipulations in the correct way, without causing pain and injury to your furry. To prevent this from happening, you need to know how long you need to shorten the claws.
It is better to focus on the rate of regrowth of the nail plate. Some need to be pruned several times a month, while others get by with a simple scratching post. In this matter, much depends on the individual physiological characteristics, whether it is necessary to cut the claws of the cat and how often it is required to do it. How often a cat’s claws are cut depends on the regrowth rate, which may differ from individual to individual. Usually, this should be done on average once every two or three weeks.
It is worth considering the structure of the paws, remembering the presence of the fifth toe, which is a rudiment and is not used in life. It is located on the inside of the foot and is not capable of causing harm or pain until it begins to curve inward, scratching and injuring the delicate skin of the pads.
If you do not trim, during the game, the pet will cling to the upholstered furniture, so there is a risk of injuring not only the regrown tip, but also the phalanx of the finger. In advanced cases, the sharp edge grows into the skin of the paws, causing severe pain and inflammation. In this case, you will have to seek the help of a veterinarian who can eliminate this problem, but already surgically.
Veterinarians and cat breeding specialists recommend that you train your kitten for this procedure from a very young age. This will allow the pet to endure such manipulation in the future without fear.
How to prepare for the procedure
The owner needs to know how to prepare for pruning. Most pets resist pruning with all their might at first. It is worth preparing your animal correctly. It is better to choose a time when it is relaxed, in a good mood. You need to start by massaging the paws so that the pet does not feel discomfort. Attention switches to other activities, subjects.
In the first months, the kitten experiences fear, dread and even irritation. He can break free and run away, and if held by force, he can even bite or scratch a person.
You should not use physical strength, since it is necessary to convince the furry pet that this procedure is absolutely safe for him, that he has nothing to fear. Pruning should be done regularly, the animal gradually gets used to it.
Over time, a habit will appear, and to make this happen faster, you can use the reward in the form of something tasty. To keep trimming calmly, do not stress your pet. The owner should talk to him affectionately, stroke him. If the cat is too scared, it is better to postpone the procedure.
What to do when the animal is not given
A cat is not given if the procedure is associated with pain and stress. Perhaps the animal is simply not accustomed. There is an unequivocal answer to the question of at what age a kitten’s claws can be cut. from the earliest, in order to quickly form a habit in him.
Gradually, you need to accustom the animal with affection and care. During the procedure itself, you can not put pressure on the pet, you should distract him with his voice, and just before the manicure, massage the paws. If necessary, it is worth asking for help from other family members.
It is best to contact your veterinarian for help. up to several thousand.
How to trim a cat’s claws
Cat owners are rewarded with affection, purr and good mood, but they are also responsible for the health and well-being of the pet. Owners are faced with an important question. how to trim the claws of a cat without harming.
Without the skill, not everyone succeeds in trimming the first time. it is difficult to immobilize the pet, you need to cut off only the regrown part so as not to harm. The article discusses in detail common questions. how many claws a cat has and how to properly trim them, as well as why to cut them.
If you ask the owners how many claws a cat has, many will answer that there are 20. This is an erroneous opinion, in fact there are 18. There are five of them on the front paws, and four on the back paws. The procedure itself requires certain tools. The main ones are:
- Special scissors for clipping cats’ claws or clippers. In their shape, they are similar to manicure ones, but made of stronger steel and have a special recess, which is located on the inside. To trim the claws of a cat at home with scissors, you need skill, a beginner will not cope with this task.
- Nippers. They resemble garden pruners, only much smaller. This tool is better suited for larger animals. Cat clippers must be of good quality, perfectly sharpened.
- Cat clipper in the form of a guillotine. Its working part has a special hole in which the animal’s claw is placed, and the clipping occurs when the handles are squeezed. Thus, such a limiter tool is convenient to use.
- Cat claw sharpener. After a haircut, it is worth treating the claws from roughness. This is the very last stage of a manicure or pedicure. An electric grinder can be used instead, if the pet is not afraid of buzzing.
Many owners are wondering if regular scissors can be used to trim a cat’s claws. It is possible, but there is sufficient experience and skill, since such a tool is more likely to cause pain and injury to the animal. Manicure or stationery scissors are not suitable for this, as they are more likely to lead to the splitting of the regrown tip and cause inconvenience to the pet.
How often to cut claws
The frequency of cutting is determined individually and depends on the physiology of the animal. On average, this manipulation is carried out every two to three weeks or several times a month. The control of the claws is carried out depending on the degree of their regrowth. If they start getting in the way of the cat, it’s time to shorten them.
What not to do?
Cats, like all humans, are sensitive to their surroundings. They also read the emotions and mood of their owners.
What not to do while cutting:
- screaming and getting annoyed. the pet will experience even greater fear, and in the future it will be very difficult to get him to agree to the procedure;
- forcing by force. no need to force the animal to obey by violent methods;
- catching a kitten during games. for this he will not say “thank you”, but indignation and aggression on the part of the pet are guaranteed.
Tools for the job
A special device is used for the procedure: a nail clipper. No need to use nail scissors. they are only for humans.
- Secateurs. there is a spring between the handles of the product. The pruner includes a stop in its design. it can be used to cut the desired length.
- Blisters. outwardly similar to manicure scissors, but at their tips blades are bent, intended for cat claws.
- Guillotines are like cigar scissors. The claw is inserted into the hole at the tip. when the handles are activated, the blade goes down and cuts off the cat’s claw. This tool is suitable for cats with thick claws. They are cut from the bottom up (this is very important to remember!) Otherwise there is a risk of crushing the nail plate.
Each cat owner chooses a tool that suits the requirements and facilitates the procedure. You can buy an electric trimmer to make things easier, but don’t be surprised if your cat starts to get nervous and bulging. The buzzing device scares most cats.
If the claws are not shortened
The grown claws bring a rather big discomfort to the cat. they exfoliate. The kitten will want to cling to soft surfaces such as carpets or sofas, which can lead to inflammation. Long claws dig into soft pads, which can lead to lameness. Due to painful sensations, the cat cannot actively move, begins to lick its paws and tries to bite off the ill-fated claw.
To trim the claws of a cat is a task that is both difficult and uncomplicated, the main thing is to remember all the rules, acquire the necessary tools and accustom the cat to the procedure in advance, while it is growing up. Older animals become stubborn.
How to trim a cat’s claws?
Many people know firsthand how difficult it is to take care of a cat. Cleaning the ears, bathing, trimming the claws is something that a cat hates, and we just can’t explain to our pet that we are doing everything for his good. In order for the cutting procedure to be painless and without unnecessary stress, both for the animal and its owner, it is advisable to familiarize yourself with the important rules in advance.
Does a predator need to cut its claws?
If an animal lives in the wild, it is at least inhumane to catch it and cut off its claws, but if we are talking about a pet, this is not just possible, but it must be done! Cats love to tear up furniture, and even a purchased scratching post does not always help.
Many owners are in favor of cutting claws. this way the animal will not ruin the furniture and injure itself. It is not uncommon for cats to scratch their ears and an open wound can become infected. Also, clipping is mandatory if more than one pet lives in the house. in games they can injure each other.
Preparing for a haircut
The animal experiences stress when the owners start something “against” him. It is worth starting with the preparatory procedures, and preferably from infancy. Adult animals are reluctant to change. Without preparation, the cat can be injured.
Choose the right moment for the haircut. The cat should be free from business: eating or playing. The animal is taken in hands and gently stroked, so the pet relaxes. Slowly, from stroking the back and head, the owner goes to the cat’s paws. strokes and massages them.
You need to allocate 2-3 days for preparatory procedures. When you touch the paws, you will notice the irritation of the cat. they do not like when their paws are touched. If you repeat the procedure regularly, the growing kitten will get used to it, the main thing is to anchor him in the form of a treat after the process.
After the kitten gets used to touching, the next stage begins. an imitation of a haircut:
How to Cut a Cat’s Nails? STEP-BY-STEP Guide
- the kitten is seated in a suitable position;
- touch the animal by different paws;
- examine the claws and press on the pads.
After the procedure, the kitten will be grateful if his patience pays off with the treats. Also, the kitten has the first acquaintance with the clipper. he must understand that the tool will not harm him. When he begins to calmly perceive him. you can carry out a haircut.
Kittens are taught to have a haircut from 2 months of age. A well-lit place for the procedure should be chosen. The cat’s claws are a stratum corneum that hides the pulp. an accumulation of nerve endings. At the time of cutting the claws, it is advisable not to touch this area, since then the pet will experience pain.
In some cats, the pulp is clearly visible, and in good light, a pink crescent-shaped patch can be seen on the nails. A haircut with dark pigmentation is more difficult. in this case, you will have to act at random. Can be cut by 1 mm. when the color acquires a lighter shade, then the pulp begins.
- Having taken a comfortable position, the owner sits the pet on his lap. You can put the cat on its back, but not all predators accept this. If the animal is too active, it can be wrapped in something.
- Press down on the cat’s pad for the claw to appear.
- If the cat does not twitch at the sight of a claw, you can cut the claw. The animal may be agitated by what happened, in this case it must be stroked and reassured.
- With quick movements, the claw cutter is set to 1 mm. to the pulp. The claws are cut in such a way that the edge remains sharp. In the case of an incorrectly cut claw, there is a risk of damaging the pulp.
- At the end of the procedure, the claw is rounded off using a regular file. If you make it a rule to sharpen the claws of the animal, then cutting them will be minimized.
How To Trim/Cut Cats Claws: Step By Step Tutorial
Many cats hiss because they are afraid. Preparatory procedures are required. To avoid stress, you can trim 1 claw every day.
What kind of animals the procedure is contraindicated?
A cat walking down the street does not need to trim its claws. She uses them to climb trees, hunt and defend herself from her foes. When a cat senses danger, its claws are always ready.!
It is worth refraining from trimming the claws while the kitten is still small. it is not recommended to trim the claws until the 1st year. An early haircut provokes delamination and generally has a bad effect on the nail structure. A kitten that is 2 months old is ready to trim its claws.
Photo gallery: claws of various types of industrial production
It is important for the cat to mark the boundaries of its property, so install several different scratching devices at the entrance to the room, at the bed and in the toilet. Cats love racks and rugs up to a meter high to show the enemy how big they are
Therefore, when scratching, cats pull their paws up. Cats are interested in horizontal devices. Ceiling-length bollards are suitable for those who like to climb higher.
Observing the movement of cat claws at the moment of scratching, I noticed that sharpening claws, cleaning them or marking an object in the house with my scent is not the same thing. First, my darling comes to the corner of the sofa. Releasing its claws into the fabric of the upholstery, the cat then squeezes its fingers and hides the points in the skin folds before pulling it out. Excess scales remain in the fabric or fall to the floor. Therefore, she needs a pillow that resembles a sofa to clean her claws. How else to wean? I made a small one for testing, using a plate. I filled it with padding polyester and covered it with a piece of upholstery fabric. We fixed it on a thick stand. The height of my invention was a little taller than a sofa. Unfortunately, the threads did not last long. they broke after a month of use. My cat is pulling this pillow, rarely recalls the sofa. And to completely forget him, no! My area is my sofa. Be patient, mistress.
Cutting the claws of a kitten in 1-2 months
When babies are 1 month old, they begin to actively explore the world around them. During this period, clipping of the nails is strictly not recommended, as kittens learn to walk, balance and control their own fingers. When a kitten runs or makes any maneuvers, he deliberately releases its claws or holds them in the pads.
At 2 months, the kittens’ claws retain their sharpness and noticeably grow in length. Since babies are still eating their mother’s milk at this age, their claws can injure and irritate the skin of the nipples. This is the only reasonable reason a two month old kitten needs to trim the tips of her claws. However, it is from 2-3 months of age that kittens are recommended to start (rehearsals) to accustom them to nail clippers.
The Thai Sphynx’s claws grow quite quickly. And the main feature is the frequency of the procedure. We’ll have to cut off the claws several times a month. The process consists of several steps:
you need to choose the right moment. It is best when the animal is a little tired and is about to fall asleep. It is difficult for a pet to actively resist in this state, it will be relaxed. You need to handle him calmly, without harsh and loud sounds;
a suitable place with good lighting is selected in advance. It is necessary to place everything that is required in the process there.
Of course, it is important to act carefully so as not to injure the legs. But just in case, it is worth keeping hydrogen peroxide nearby to treat the wounds;
the sphinx sits on the owner’s knees. Press gently on the pads of the feet to show the claws
In good light, the border where the vessels begin is clearly visible. Only white areas can be removed. Anything that has a pink tint should not be touched;
at an angle of 90 degrees, a small part of the marigold is removed with the selected tool.
Gently press on the pads of the feet to show the claws. In good light, the border where the vessels begin is clearly visible. Only white areas can be removed. Anything that has a pink tint should not be touched;
at an angle of 90 degrees, a small part of the marigold is removed with the selected tool.
Reference! If the plate begins to exfoliate, you should carefully file it with a file and remove.
If it was not possible to avoid injury, and blood appeared, it is recommended to attach a piece of cloth or cotton wool soaked in peroxide
It is important to see a veterinarian quickly if bleeding is severe.
Clipping the claws to the Briton
Why you can’t cut the claws of cats: debunking the myths
Many cat breeders are absolutely sure that claws should not be trimmed for a cat. they are necessary for the animal to hunt and move. Without them, you cannot hide from the enemy, for example, in a tree. The overwhelming majority of owners are sure that if nature has given the cat a weapon for self-defense and attack, they are vital, and it is impossible to interfere with the creator’s fishing.
There are several reasons why a cat is clipped:
- damage to furniture when sharpening, from which it is difficult to wean;
- she scratches the owners.
Opponents of cutting believe that in both cases the owner is to blame. he did not take care of education and did not provide a comfortable scratching post in time. A pet can scratch a person only if the owner is too annoying, and the cat is not inclined to play.
In fact, long claws are inconvenient for the cat itself.
- They knock on the floor, giving out the sound of finding the “hunter”.
- Despite the fact that pets on their own when washing themselves bite and gnaw their claws in order to shorten them, it is difficult to do this without human help. Training to a scratching post does not help either.
- If not cared for, claws can hurt and cause injury. Often they bend and grow into the paw pillow, then surgical intervention is required.
Scratching paws bring a lot of grief to the owners. they spoil the wallpaper and curtains, leave “clues” on the clothes.
Claws in covers
Safe veterinary invention for protection from sharp claws. soft silicone or vinyl caps, which are glued with special glue on the pet’s claws. They are called “anti-scratches”. But due to the fact that there is no air access under the caps, inflammation may appear. The reason is the secretion of secretions by sweat and sebaceous glands. Cats often remove the caps from their claws with their teeth due to the feeling of discomfort and swallow them.
silicone covers on the claws of the British cat will not allow the owner to scratch
In order to trim the claws of your fluffy pet on your own, it is important to know not only the features of the process, but also the possible risks and problems during its implementation. If the cat is aggressive, then the removal of sharp areas of the claw becomes a necessity, this procedure will be carried out either by a veterinarian or by someone from home
Due to the nature of the character, it will be very difficult to trim the claws. If the cat resists and breaks free, does not allow to work normally, you need to know what to do in such a situation, namely:
- do not force and try to repeat the procedure a little later, waiting for a calmer state of the animal;
- use swaddling, which will significantly help protect yourself from the claws of an obstinate animal;
- communicate with your pet and calm it down throughout the claw trimming process.
Working with aggressive pets is not easy. It is better not to delay training the cat for manicure, because in adulthood it will be extremely difficult to get used to such manipulations, each session will be a real test for both the cat and the owner.
In order for the haircut procedure to be fast and of high quality, you should read the following tips:
- the selection of the tool must be carried out responsibly. it is better not to buy products that are too cheap, as they quickly become dull, and this can cause the claw to split or delaminate;
- it is best to do a manicure during the day in natural light, so that it is easier to notice the cut edge of the claw and minimize the risk of injury;
- after cutting the claw, it must be sanded with high quality, for which a hard nail file or an emery bar may be suitable; if this procedure is not done, the cat can catch its claws on the carpet, sofa upholstery or other fabrics, which will lead to injury to the animal, creases or claws;
- the first times it will be difficult for a cat to sit on his hands for a long time, while the owner puts things in order on his paws, therefore it is recommended to start with one limb per day, gradually increasing the daily norm of claws, bringing it to trim all the nail plates at one time without discomfort for favorite;
- since claw trimming is not a vital necessity for a cat, you should not plan other hygiene procedures on the same day so as not to upset your pet; for each type of activity, it is better to choose a separate day and, after the completion of the work, thank the animal for cooperation, which will enhance its positive feelings after such procedures.
pets seem simple and convenient, but in fact it implies care and adherence to strict rules and recommendations regarding many points related to nutrition, hygiene, walking, and so on, so before you start a pet, you should weigh all the advantages and disadvantages. after which he will stop at some solution.
You can find out how easy it is to trim the claws of a cat by watching the video below.
At what age to cut the claws of a kitten
All pet grooming guides recommend trimming your pet’s nails as needed. How to determine that such a need has arisen? With dogs, everything is easier, if the claws knock on the floor or the dog’s fingers are parting. it’s time to cut. For cats, the need is at the discretion of the owner.
Indications for urgent clipping are:
The bend of the claw in the opposite direction. when the claw grows too much, it bends with a point towards the pad.
Injury and cracks in the claws. it is better not to cut a haircut without consulting a veterinarian.
Exfoliation of claws. occurs against the background of vitamin deficiency or fungal infection. If a fungus is found in a cat, removal of as much of the infected tissue as possible is required. It is better to entrust the procedure to a veterinarian.
Many owners have a question, at what age do you need to cut a kitten’s claws? It is important to understand that trimming the nails of an adult cat who is not familiar with this procedure is quite difficult. That is why the kitten is taught to use nail clippers from early childhood.
Cut the claws or just rehearse this procedure. it is up to the owner to decide. Little kittens rarely need to claw their nails.
How to trim a kitten’s claws. claws and improvised devices?
Let’s say you have an urgent need to give your pet a manicure. How to trim your nails yourself without harming your pet? If you have a nail clipper, the task is simplified. If the kitten is about to have the first claw trimming, and you do not have tools, observing safety measures, you can use improvised environments.
Train and prepare your cat for trimming
When a pet from an official nursery appears in the house, questions usually do not arise.
All the training and preparation comes down to ensuring that the cat sits calmly on his hands, for this we take more often in our hands, stroke, massage the pads of the paws. To make friends with the claw cutter, we give it to sniff, touch. The animal should be fed before the procedure; it should not be sheared after playing. For a cat, the process should be calm, painless.
How to properly trim your nails at home
- The claw cutter should be parallel to the claw, not at an angle and not across, otherwise the cut will break the claw, as a result it will exfoliate;
- We retreat from the pulp 2-3 mm;
- We make a cut at an acute angle, as shown in the figure;
- Cut off no more than 2-3 mm of the stratum corneum, 1-2 mm on the lower legs.
The photo below shows the rules for cutting claws, at what angle it is correct to do it, where the sensitive (dangerous) zone is located.
What you can use to trim your cat’s nails
The professional cat grooming market has become so vast and popular that it has become difficult to know what to choose and use. Manufacturers offer clippers of various designs, types, but pay attention to quality and sharpness.
- Lateral nail clipper. From Hanna cattery recommends exactly this type.
- Grinder. a tool with a sharpening stone (diamond dusting).
Normal human clippers, nippers, or scissors are not suitable for clipping claws.
There are owners who consider it normal to have claw removal operations. This is a barbaric operation, why it is impossible to do this. it removes the phalanx of the finger along with the claw, as a result. the animal becomes disabled, both physically and psychologically, the balance when walking is disturbed, it hurts for the cat to step on its paws, even after many years, to participate such animals are not allowed in exhibitions. I wonder how these owners would live themselves without one phalanx on each of their fingers?
It is widespread to use soft claws. Less barbaric, but still. To fix the caps, glue is used on the clipped claws. Manufacturers assure that this is the best alternative to removing claws, safe for cats, does not affect the behavior of the cat, a lot of other blah blah blah. It is difficult to imagine any cat who will be glad that plastic was attached to her hooks, her movements were constrained, how her pet would scratch herself, walk?
We are humans, we must answer, we care about those we have tamed.
Is it possible for a kitten to trim its claws with scissors
When buying a cat into the house, a person must understand why he is doing this and that he turns on a living being, which by nature has an innate reflex. to sharpen his claws. It is necessary to immediately provide the kitten with a high scratching post, more than 60-70 cm, so that the owner’s furniture and wallpaper does not suffer.
How often and at what age to cut
Kittens are born with claws. It is not recommended to prune a kitten before 4 weeks, 2-3 months is considered the optimal age. Hooks help the kid learn to walk, climb, and not fly into a ditch at a turn. Breeders accustom kittens to scratching posts from birth.
If the cat is domestic and very actively tugging at the scratching post, then it is not necessary to cut it. Every week you need to monitor the condition of the cat’s manicure. The claws on the hind legs grow more slowly than on the front ones, they are cut less often.
In order not to exfoliate, the cat did not wean from the procedure, treated her calmly, it should be trimmed once every 2-3 weeks.
Should you trim your cat’s claws?
- The pet will not scratch the pets;
- Renovations, furniture, curtains will be safe;
- Getting rid of possible injury. growing into the paw pads;
- Participation in exhibitions, mating;
- Clings to carpets, fabrics when walking.
- Kittens under 1 month old;
- Sedentary animals, elderly;
- The darling has access to the street.
How to cut at home step by step
What you need to prepare for the clipping procedure:
- Claw cutter;
- Alcohol for disinfecting the instrument before the procedure;
- Hydrogen peroxide and bandage if necessary to stop bleeding;
- Special bag for fixing or plaid. If the pet bites, breaks out, then you need to wrap it in a blanket so that it does not move and get on its paw. It is better to trim such darlings with an assistant at home or in veterinary clinics;
- Sufficient lighting.
- Prepare the above;
- Calm down, the cats feel everything and the owner’s excitement is not appropriate;
- We sit down in good lighting conditions;
- Place the well-fed kitten on your lap (if it breaks out, then fix it with a blanket or towel);
- Take a foot, gently massage the pads of your fingers, let it get used to;
- Press a little on each finger so that the claw protrudes outward, carefully cut it off with wire cutters;
- File the edges with a file;
- After trimming. you need to pet, praise the kitten, give a tasty.
You cannot cut a claw, where it has a pink color, there are blood vessels, you only need to cut the very tip. 1-2 mm. If you cut off your nails, grabbing a little finger with scissors, the kitten will experience the same.
Take into account the condition of the pet, cut as necessary only with a high-quality, sharp tool. If you read this article carefully, you will find the answer to many of your questions.