Types Of Allergies In Cats (8 Most Common Causes)
How to give Zodak to a cat?
Allergies sometimes affect not only people, but also some pets. Cat and cat often become objects of insect bites, which is why the former develop allergy symptoms. In such cases, your veterinarian may recommend Zodak for cats. It is a 2nd generation long-acting antihistamine.
Zodak is available in tablets, drops, syrups and injections. Intramuscular or subcutaneous administration of the drug is required in case of severe allergic reactions, in the case when the symptoms are rapidly increasing, for example, with swelling of the lungs or brain.
Benefits and Applications
In veterinary medicine, a cat or a cat tolerates the same antiallergenic agents well as a person. Only the dosage of Zodak will differ, the cat or cat should be given in smaller quantities.
The advantages of the drug are undeniable:
- Zodak takes effect 15 minutes after ingestion.
- Zodak quickly and effectively relieves allergy symptoms.
- Zodak is effective for various types of allergies.
- Zodak affects different stages of an allergic reaction.
- Zodak quickly and tangibly improves the condition of the animal.
- Zodak is valid for 24 hours.
- Zodak strengthens the walls of blood vessels.
- Zodak does not cause sedation (apathy and drowsiness).
- Zodak is suitable for different ages of cats and cats.
- Zodak does not contain sugar in its composition.
Doses are calculated according to the scheme according to the instructions for 1 kilogram of pet’s weight. A cat or a cat can take a baby Zodak. The dosage should correspond to half the child’s dose. But it is worth warning, both in the case of a child and an animal, you cannot deal with his treatment yourself. After all, the cat and the cat trust us.
The wrong dose or therapy can lead to big problems. Therefore, the dosage of Zodak for a cat for allergies should be prescribed by a veterinarian. Only a specialist is able to determine the type of pathogen, cause and type of allergy, make the correct diagnosis, and prescribe a specific antihistamine.
Allergies. Causes and Symptoms
A cat and a cat can suffer from both seasonal and persistent rhinitis. The antiallergic drug Zodak is suitable for treating cats and even some dog breeds that are prone to allergic reactions. They can be provoked by the following pathogens:
- insect bite (flea, tick, bee, mosquito) in the nose, ear, paw pads of the animal;
- fungi, helminths, viruses and bacteria;
- pollen, herbal plants, shrubs;
- change of feed; certain food; food products: poultry, beef, yeast, eggs, fish, fish oil, soy, wheat, dairy, corn, vegetable oils;
- dust, tobacco smoke in the house;
- household chemicals, aerosols, perfumes, shampoo, soap;
- synthetic fabrics;
- tray filler;
- veterinary drugs, medicines;
- wool of other animals;
- toys, rubber, plastic.
When a cat or cat is sensitive to one or more of the above allergens, then painful allergy symptoms appear. Zodak helps with all the signs of allergies, which appear in the form of rashes and spots on the skin, debilitating itching, scratching to blood, sores and hair loss, shortness of breath, swelling of the mucous membranes of the tongue, larynx and suffocation, discharge from the nose and ears, malfunction intestines and vomiting.
To answer the question of how a cat and a cat feel under the influence of the drug, you need to learn the following. In humans and animals, there are receptors, the state of which changes when interacting with histamine. Histamine is inactive under normal conditions. When a cat or cat begins to come into contact with an allergen, the causative agent of an allergy, then the amount of free histamine is released from the basophils and mast cells, which leads to sharp “bursts” of allergy in the animal.
Zodak inhibits the release of histamine by blocking histamine receptors, of which there are 4 subgroups (H). They are classified according to their location. If you give Zodak to a cat for allergies, then Zodak will block histamine receptors. H1. Their localization is smooth muscles, endothelium (an endocrine organ scattered throughout the tissues of the body) and the central nervous system.
That is, we conclude that the cat and the cat do not suffer from allergic reactions, such as muscle spasms, disruption of the endocrine and nervous systems, antihistamines should be given. The zodak is suitable for pets. A cat and a cat will feel great for up to a year from the use of any children’s antihistamine in drops. The dosage of the medicine Zodak in drops is half of the child’s dose indicated in the instructions. In conclusion, it is worth repeating that self-medication often leads to disastrous consequences. Take care of your beloved pet!
What can you give your cat for allergies??
If you notice that your pet is suffering from an allergic reaction, then you should familiarize yourself with the information on what products should be given to the animal in order to alleviate its condition.
All you need to know about cat allergies & what you can do about them!
There are a wide variety of allergy remedies for cats today, ranging from itch relief pills to various pet sprays. The most popular are Execan, Stop Itching, etc.
Before deciding to give any remedy to a cat, you should strongly study the instructions, and it is better to consult a veterinarian. Indeed, when treating allergies in an animal, it is important not to harm it even more.
Cetirizine for cats: dosage
Before giving Cetirizine to your cat, you should weigh your cat. The main dosage of the medicine is calculated based on the weight of the pet.
It is recommended to give cetirizine to cats at the rate of 1 milligram of the drug per 1 kilogram of body weight, but not more than 5 milligrams at a time. The frequency of taking the medicine is no more than once a day. Pay close attention to the general well-being of your pet, as Cetirizine has a number of side effects that can negatively affect its health.
However, before using and calculating the dosage, it is imperative to contact your veterinarian. Cats, just like humans, can negatively tolerate a particular drug. And allergy treatment can spill over into treating a more unpleasant ailment for your pet.
Allergies in cats are similar to those in humans and therefore require careful and responsible treatment. Therefore, you should not self-medicate or wait for the disease to pass on its own. Be sure to consult with your doctor about treatment methods. And if your animal has a regular predisposition to allergies, then you should definitely carry out preventive treatment.
Domestic cats, like humans, suffer from allergic diseases. In situations where interrupting contact with allergens does not help, antihistamines are used, most of which were originally developed for use in medicine, but adapted for use in veterinary medicine.
Medications are prescribed after confirmation of the diagnosis, supported by the collection of anamnesis and a number of laboratory tests. Antihistamines bind a substance that provokes an allergic response to irritants.
When are antihistamines needed and how they work
Antihistamines are used to treat allergic reactions in cats. Prescribe drugs after a series of studies and confirmation of the diagnosis. Medicines of this group help to eliminate itching, burning, skin rashes and lacrimation. The action of such drugs is due to the binding of histamine and a decrease in its production.
Antihistamines relieve the itchiness of cats associated with an allergic reaction to something
In some cases, such medications can relieve the cat of edema, which can contribute to the occurrence of anaphylactic reactions that are life-threatening to the pet. In addition, antihistamines reduce inflammation and have a mild sedative effect.
In what cases is this group of medicines used:
- if you have symptoms of flea dermatitis;
- if you are allergic to medicines, household chemicals and food;
- when itching occurs for an unknown reason;
- with atopic dermatitis;
- after an insect bite.
Allergy ointment for cats
The ointment can be used to relieve local symptoms in your cat while the tablet has not yet worked. It has a beneficial effect, eliminates itching and unpleasant desire to gnaw wool.
Basically, to eliminate unpleasant symptoms, Baksinovaya-vet, Vedinol or Prednisolone ointment is used.
After the ointment, the cat will feel calmer. Also, if you are interested in an antipruritic agent for a cat, you can use a spray, for example, Oksimed or Stop-Itching suspension.
Antihistamines for cats for allergies: instructions for use
What you need to know before using antihistamines?
Such drugs block histamine receptors in the body, thereby reducing the release of substances into the blood that are responsible for the development of allergic reactions.
Antihistamines go back several generations. The first generation drugs act quickly, but do not show their effect for long. In addition, a quick addiction develops to them, and then the effect of such drugs ends. They also have pronounced side effects and hypnotic effects. The list of such drugs is quite large, for example, one of them is Cetirizine.
Typically, medications are prescribed in pill form, but some doctors also prescribe injections. Injections are usually prescribed for severe allergies in the animal.
Allergy medication should not be mixed with food when you decide to treat your cat for allergies. The best option is to give the tablets between meals. The interval between the first and subsequent tablets should be from 8 to 12 hours.
The dosage for each cat is determined individually and prescribed by the veterinarian. The period of treatment of the animal is also individually assigned. For example, if your cat suffers from seasonal allergies, then the course can be done in advance. In this case, taking medications should be carried out even in the absence of signs of the disease.
Drops for cats from allergies
Drops, for example, Zodak or Zyrtec, are convenient to use when you cannot give your pet a pill, and he needs help from allergies.
There are many different options for drops, for example, they can be instilled into the throat or used as nasal drops. Drops are easier to give to small kittens: they do not cause copious foam from the mouth, unlike a pill.
Antihistamines are an essential attribute in the treatment of any allergy. Diazolin is an effective remedy that quickly relieves itching in animals.
However, this medicine should be used with extreme caution, as not all cats can tolerate it. Increased salivation and foaming at the mouth are common. Even after taking small doses, negative effects can occur. That is why it is worth choosing a more gentle remedy.
Features of the use of antihistamines in the treatment of cats
Veterinarian tips and antihistamines:
- Do not exceed the dose of the drug without a doctor’s prescription.
- Give the medicine only on an empty stomach, otherwise the pet may vomit.
- It is advisable to mix the tablet with water, as many allergy medications are very bitter.
- It is best to give antihistamines at the same time.
- Monitor the pet’s reaction. If vomiting or diarrhea occurs, antihistamine treatment should be abandoned.
The main types of allergies
Experts identify several types of allergies, the main one being food. Cats may react to certain brands of food or natural foods (fermented milk, vegetables, or even fish).
There are also allergic reactions to artificial materials (plastic, rubber), from which toys for animals are made.
Sometimes the cat’s body does not perceive household chemicals, houseplants, and parasitic insects. Cat litter may not be suitable for a pet either.
An attentive owner can find out the cause of the disease in kittens or an adult animal; in more complex cases, special tests in a veterinary clinic help. Depending on the causative agent of the allergy, the doctor decides how to treat the cat, how to restore health.
The bottle of drops contains 20 ml of the drug, which consists of the active and auxiliary substances. Appearance of drops: transparent liquid from colorless to light yellow shade. Each milliliter of medicine is 20 drops. Thus, the vial contains 20 daily medicinal doses for an adult.
The drug has a minimum of side effects that can occur only in case of an overdose of the drug or an unreasonably long intake of it and are expressed in the following:
- most often, the patient may be haunted by dry mouth;
- headaches and dizziness, increased fatigue and drowsiness, tachycardia occur much less frequently;
- irritability, emotional lability can also be caused by taking Zodak;
- gastrointestinal disorders and skin rashes. occur as a result of taking Zodak drops extremely rarely.
How to treat food allergies at home?
Before telling how to treat different forms of this disease, you need to mention:
Determining and correctly diagnosing allergies is a difficult task that must be solved by a veterinarian, based on test data and laboratory diagnostics.
Only he will be able to figure out what type of illness your pet has and what foods should be removed from his diet.
often, for the treatment of the food form of this ailment, chicken, dry food is removed from the pet’s diet, replacing them with special royal canin food, which contains hydrolyzed protein that is not dangerous for sick animals.
Any hypoallergenic cat food will do: Purina: Veterinary Diet, Hills, Farmina.
For positive dynamics, veterinarians recommend adhering to the prescribed diet even after the disappearance of a vivid clinical state.
Food allergy is a disease that is extremely difficult to cure completely. Having eaten something “forbidden”, the cat runs the risk of relapses.
Types of antihistamines
Generations of antihistamines:
- The first worship is drugs that have a short effect (up to 4 hours), so you need to give them to the animal 2-3 times a day. Such medicines eliminate allergies only for a short period of time, contributing to the appearance of drowsiness, lethargy and decreased concentration. This group of drugs is represented by such drugs as Suprastin, Clemastin, etc. The advantage is a quick and rather strong action that can eliminate anaphylactic reactions. The disadvantage of such funds is a large number of side effects and addiction.
- Second generation. medicines that last up to 24 hours. You need to give them to the cat once a day, no more. The advantage of the drugs is the absence of drowsiness. The disadvantage is the inability to stop bronchospasm and other acute life-threatening reactions. The representatives of the second generation are Zodak, Cetirizin, etc.
- The third generation is drugs, the action of which lasts for a day. They should also be given to pets once a day. The advantage of such drugs is the absence of drowsiness, as well as the ability to combine them with other medicines. The disadvantage is the high price compared to other antihistamines. This group includes drugs such as Erius, Ksizal.
Suprastin. the drug of the first generation of antihistamines Ksizal is a representative of the third generation of antihistamines Zodak. antiallergic drug of the second generation
There are a large number of drugs that effectively eliminate the symptoms of an allergic reaction in a baby to various pathogens. When choosing a substitute, it must be remembered that the most effective is a drug with an active substance similar in action. Medicines, which are almost identical in composition to Zodak, are:
Almost identical medicine, the composition of which is similar to Zodak, is Zyrtec. The main active ingredient of Zirtek is cetirizine. This drug can be prescribed to children from the age of six months.
For the treatment of allergy manifestations in young children, a pediatrician may prescribe drugs with a different composition, but with a similar therapeutic principle of action:
- Medication Erius. It is produced in the form of a syrup, the main active ingredient is desloratadine. Erius is prescribed to eliminate allergic symptoms in babies from the age of one year.
- Tavegil. available in tablet form. Tavegil contains the component clemastine. The medicine is used to eliminate allergic reactions in children after the age of six.
- Fenistil drops consist of the active substance dimethindene. The drug is contraindicated in the smallest patients, so it can be given to children from one month of age. This antihistamine is used in infants under six months of age.
- Claritin syrup successfully fights various allergic symptoms. The drug contains loratadine, it is prescribed for children after two years.
Why pets have allergies. video
Antihistamines are an effective remedy that can eliminate a wide variety of allergies. At the same time, the pet becomes calmer, unpleasant symptoms cease to torment him. It is allowed to give the animal antihistamines only after consulting a doctor.
The advantages of Zodak drops and tablets in comparison with similar drugs are the optimal price-quality ratio, coupled with a minimum of unpleasant side effects.
Zodak Express accelerated action tablets are also available.