The kitten can’t walk in big
Effects of stress on bowel function
Quite often, the kitten does not pee and does not walk too much because of the stress it has endured. The main reason why the kitten does not poop may be moving to a new place of residence or the appearance of a new owner in the life of the pet. Sometimes, the baby does not walk too much due to the fact that he was taken from his mother, or he received a strong fright. In such cases, the kitten does not go to the toilet for up to five days, but you should not worry about the pet before the expiration of this period.
The cat purrs when she ho
To improve the functioning of the digestive tract, the baby should be surrounded by care and affection. It is necessary to try not to inconvenience the baby and not to frighten him loudly
Why does the cat not go to the toilet in a big way and what to do?
Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for a cat to not go to the toilet in a big way. This causes concern not only for the cat, but also for its owner, since he does not know how to help the pet, what to do in this situation. There is no need to hope that the problem will be resolved by itself, self-healing will not come, the animal will suffer. In this article we will tell you why a cat cannot go to the toilet, and how to help him in this delicate matter.
Why does an adult animal not go to the toilet in a big way??
To help his pet, the owner must know what factors lead to the cat not going to the toilet in a big way. The most common causes of bowel problems are:
The kitten does not poop: causes, diagnosis, treatment
Many kitten owners complain that their little pet does not go to the toilet for several days. This problem occurs quite often, because a kitten in childhood has problems with the work of the intestines and digestion. Veterinarians advise the owners to watch how long the kitten does not poop in order to turn to specialists in time.
Often young cats do not know how to properly care for a newly born kitten. They can simply abandon the baby and not feed him. The cat not only licks its cubs to rid them of odors, but also stimulates their digestive organs to try to increase the flow of blood to the intestines. Thanks to such manipulations, the baby gets rid of gases that cannot go out on their own.
If a month-old kitten appears in the house, which the cat refused, the owners will have to perform tummy massage. If the kitten does not poop for several days, take a piece of soft cloth or cotton wool soaked in warm water. The massage is carried out in longitudinal movements from the head to the tail. In this case, the movements should be soft so that the kitten does not feel discomfort.
The kitten cannot go to the toilet. Main reasons and how to help
Hello friends! Recently I had to help a kitten who could not go to the toilet on his own, as they say by and large. Now I will tell you why it happened, how I helped him, and then I will list the main causes of the problem.
The hero of the story is a two-month-old kitten, you will see him in the photos in this article, as well as in the video at the very bottom of the post, who is more interested in watching, go and see.
It so happened that the baby was abruptly transferred from milk nutrition to solid food and, in addition, was overfed. As a result, the kitten cannot go to the toilet. I had to help him out.
Friends, keep in mind that I am considering a specific case, you do not necessarily come across exactly the same, but perhaps by analogy you can help.
So, having clarified with the owners the cause of concern. having collected anamnesis, or in human language, information about the patient, proceeded to the examination. Immediately noticed a pronounced protrusion of the anus.
In addition, oblong seals were felt in the intestines. a sure sign of blockage (caprostasis). In young, not fat animals, it is easy to feel the internal organs, for this you need to gently squeeze the abdominal walls from both sides.
When a kitten cannot go to the toilet for several days, he stops trying to recover, the feces accumulate and thicken. a plug is formed at the exit. This plug needs to be removed. This can be done with an enema, or you can try to squeeze out the feces, as I did.
To do this, gently grasp the anus and with gentle movements try to squeeze the contents of the intestine.
The feces should go outside. But here there is a rule. if the feces are too dense, then you cannot press hard, so you can injure the mucous membrane.
First, you need to inject any lubricant, petroleum jelly into the rectum
Understanding why the kitten does not go to the toilet
If a small kitten has appeared in the house, then it is important to understand that this is not just an animal, but a new family member who also needs attention and needs care. This is exactly what it is worth talking about in more detail. The toilet issue is paramount.
Very often breeders of cats are interested in the question, why some kittens flatly refuse to go to the litter box to relieve themselves. They mark the territory wherever they have to, however, for some reason, they ignore the specially designated place.
In fact, there may be several reasons for such unauthorized behavior, and any owner of kittens must know about them. First of all, it is worth clarifying the following fact: when such a fluffy lump gets into a new house, then for the first few days it does not go to the toilet at all, so to speak. This is most likely due to stress during the move, or a new unfamiliar environment. In any case, a small pet first needs to get used to it, and sniff everything, and only then do their “dirty deeds”.
Any cat breeder should understand that it is simply impossible to instantly train an animal to the litter box, since such babies have certain difficulties with education and understanding. But instincts work excellently, which is why, by regularly planting a kitten in the tray, you can achieve some success. In a few days he will understand what exactly this strange man wants from him.
However, sometimes the question of why the kitten does not go to the toilet has a more serious explanation related to the health of the younger family member. It is possible that the baby has constipation, which, as a rule, is caused by improper diet, stress, poor bowel function, associated with the age characteristics of the kitten.
The tray should be in one place, and its movement by cvar
Why does the kitten not go to the toilet “in a big way”?
Inexperienced cat owners often have many questions about the health, nutrition and behavior of their pet. This is especially true of cases when a person has acquired or picked up a very small animal, because caring for it is more difficult than for an adult. One of the most common problems for new owners is constipation in the animal (that is, when the kitten does not go to the toilet “in a big way” for several days). When to start sounding the alarm and what to do in this case?
Very young kittens often cannot empty their bowels and bladder on their own. To do this, the mother, after feeding, licks the bellies of the cubs with her tongue, starting the work of the organs in this way. And if she is not around, such a concern falls on the shoulders of a person. So, if a newborn kitten does not go to the toilet “in a big way” after feeding, you should help him: take a cotton swab, moisten it with warm water and gently, not too much, massage the baby’s tummy in a circular motion clockwise.
When an animal is grown up, has opened its eyes, eats and drinks on its own, problems with constipation can arise due to three main reasons:
The first reason why a kitten rarely goes to the toilet can be a stressful situation: weaning from its mother, moving to a new place, rearranging furniture, having small children nearby. In this case, the animal may refuse to go to the litter box “big” for a long time. Up to 5 days. And this can be considered the norm. The best way to help in this case is to relieve the kitten of stress, as well as the attention, love and affection given to your pet. If, however, after 5 days the situation has not changed, you should definitely consult with ve
Why the kitten doesn’t go to the toilet?
Let’s try to figure out why a small kitten does not go to the toilet. There are several reasons why the kitten cannot go big:
The first is stress due to a change in environment. As soon as he is in a new house, then the first 2-3 days does not go to the tray. And this is normal, if there is no stool for about 5 days, then the baby needs help.
Another reason is the inexperience of the mother cat. As you know, in the first month of a baby’s life, the release of feces occurs only thanks to the efforts of the cat. If she, due to inexperience or for other reasons, refuses to massage the kitten’s tummy, then he accordingly cannot go in a big way.
Switching to natural food early can negatively affect the health of your baby’s digestive system. Ideally, it would be if the kitten switched to full nutrition gradually, while still feeding on the milk of the mother cat.
Congenital intestinal pathology does not allow the kitten to defecate calmly, in this case you cannot do without urgent veterinary intervention.
Causes of Bowel Problems
A kitten in the house requires attention, especially a small one. At a young age, animals often have digestive problems, in which the kitten does not go to the toilet in a big way. It is very important to make sure that he has a regular bowel movement.
What are the reasons why the kitten does not go to the toilet in a big way??
- Newborn kittens need help to defecate.
- The second factor that can affect stool is poor diet.
- The third common reason a kitten is constipated. This is the stress associated with a change of residence and separation from the mother.
- The fourth reason for poor bowel function is possible disease.
If constipation has lasted for several days, then you can resort to using an enema. The procedure must be performed very carefully. To do this, take lukewarm boiled water, a 10 mg syringe. It is more convenient to do an enema together. One person gently holds the kitten, and the other gently and slowly injects the liquid.
You need to enter the syringe so that the liquid does not pour out, deep enough. The tip can be greased with oil or petroleum jelly. The tummy of the kitten needs to be felt in order to understand when the intestines will be full. No need to press hard on the stomach, light touches are enough. If necessary, the procedure can be performed several times.
Kitten enema should be done very carefully, especially if you do not have the necessary experience. It is best to have a veterinarian perform the procedure. It is not difficult to call him to the house. You can visit the veterinary clinic yourself.
This remedy works well for both an adult animal and a kitten. If he does not go to the toilet for several days, vegetable oil will help alleviate the condition. You do not need to give a lot of oil, half a teaspoon per day is enough. The drug is most conveniently given from a syringe without a needle. The oil should be poured in very slowly so that the kitten does not choke. Now going to the toilet will not bring any discomfort. An animal may be thirsty after consuming oil.
Also, some vegetable oil can be simply mixed into food. Do not overuse this method, as it negatively affects the condition of the liver. The kitten should go to the toilet thanks to proper nutrition, not due to the constant addition of vegetable fats.
You can relieve a kitten of constipation with soap. To do this, you need to cut off a small piece of soap, give it a rounded shape. A soap candle is slightly moistened with water, and then inserted into the anus of the animal. The kitten will not like this procedure, so it is better to do it when the baby is sleeping. A soap candle will work in a few hours.
What to do if the kitten does not go to the toilet in a big way?
So your kitten is used to a new home, is cheerful and active, but still does not use the toilet? Certain measures must be taken. If the animal does not go to the toilet for more than five days, you need to gently feel its belly. The fact is that constipation is most often accompanied by bloating, as well as pain during bowel movements.
How to tell if the kitten is in pain? In this case, he walks around the tray for a long time, joins in, squeaks plaintively. Sometimes stool can be seen in the anus. In difficult cases, a veterinarian will help. Calling such a specialist at home is not a problem, but you can try to cope with the problem yourself.
Another cause of bowel disorders. Improper nutrition. The animal’s body needs time to get used to new food. It is especially important not to change the diet during the adaptation of the kitten after moving to a new home. To do this, you need to find out from the previous owners how they feed the kitten, what is his favorite food. It is best to take some food from your old house and feed it to your pet for the first few days. You can buy food of the same brand.
New foods should be introduced gradually. The kitten can be fed dry or wet kitten food or natural food. If dry food is included in the diet, you need to ensure that the animal always has access to clean water. When feeding with natural food, bran should be added to the food to improve bowel function. This will help prevent constipation.
Cats are predators, their natural food is meat. The kitten begins to gradually accustom to animal products from the age of 1.5 months. This should be done gradually. The meat must be cut into small pieces and boiled without salt and spices for 10-15 minutes, cooled. You can grind it to a puree state. It is good to use baby puree in jars as a meat feed for kittens.
Constipation can occur due to lack of fluid. Make sure your pet drinks enough, especially if it feeds on dry food.
The kitten does not go to the toilet in a big way. What to do? Veterinarian advice. Laxative for kittens
Constipation in a kitten is a fairly common problem. Babies are prone to stress and respond quickly to dietary changes. Consider the causes of the problem and ways to solve it.
Help for newborn kittens
Small kittens often have problems with bowel movements. The fact is that babies need outside help. A cat needs to lick its babies not only to clean their fur. A gentle massage stimulates the bowels and promotes blood flow. Licking helps the kitten get rid of the intestinal contents, because he cannot do this on his own.
In the case when a young and inexperienced mother refuses to care for her offspring, a person must help. Also, help may be required if the taken kitten is a month or less.
In order to massage, you need to take a small piece of soft cloth or cotton wool and moisten it with warm water. Now make short longitudinal movements from the chest to the tail all over the tummy. Movements should be very soft, gentle, not causing discomfort to the kitten. No need to press on the tummy, just stroking.
How to tell if a kitten has constipation?
Constipation can be expressed not only in the absence of stool. This factor can be overlooked if the pet has access to the street and empties there. What are the signs that a kitten has constipation??
- Frequent but unproductive attempts to go to the toilet.
- The kitten meows when trying to empty the intestines, walks around the tray for a long time and is afraid of him.
- Small, dry, hard stools.
- Mucus or blood in the stool.
- Lack of appetite.
- The kitten is not licked, lethargic, lost weight.
- A small amount of liquid stool after the kitten has been pushing for a long time.
One of the common reasons why a kitten doesn’t go to the toilet in a big way is stress. First of all, he is caused by the move to a new house, a change in the usual environment, separation from his mother. Fear can be another reason. The kitten may be frightened by another aggressive animal or harassment from the child.
Due to stress, the baby may refuse to use the toilet for up to 5 days. Do not worry if the kitten does not go to the toilet for several days immediately after purchase. Provide a calm environment for the animal, do not disturb and let it settle. It is very important to surround the baby with affection, as he longs for his mother.
If there is a child in the house, then explain to him that you cannot play with the kitten right away. He is easily frightened by sharp sounds, movements. A healthy animal will get used to it very quickly. In just a few hours, the baby will begin to explore a new home, find a bowl and tray, and want to play.
The cat does not go to the toilet a lot after spaying
Constipation after sterilization is quite common. After anesthesia, the body comes to its senses for a long time.
Cats suffer from constipation after such operations more often than cats, due to the physiological characteristics of each sex. In general, the pet tolerates the operation itself well, but anesthesia can leave the consequences. When exposed to it, the work of organs in an animal slows down. Organs are gradually moving away from anesthesia.
To prevent this from happening, you cannot feed the cat 12 hours before spaying.
As a relief of constipation after castration or sterilization, the animal should not be given vegetable and castor oil. Vegetable oils are quickly absorbed into the body, and this method will be useless. Castor oil can cause severe gastrointestinal upset in a cat.
A cat cannot go to the toilet for a big time: what to do, problems after surgery, more than 3 days
Sometimes cat owners are faced with such a delicate problem as constipation in an animal. Stool is considered normal at least once a day. If it is less frequent, or the cat constantly has a tight stool, then this is the first sign of constipation.
Help for adult cats
Mix running water with condensed milk and give to cat. It will help with minor problems with stool.
Adult animals can be helped by adding a little vegetable oil or petroleum jelly to their food. Easily acting laxatives can be used. There is also a popular advice on bowel cleansing. Mix boiled or running water with condensed milk, and water the animal with the resulting mixture. This mixture should help your pet if constipation is still in the early stages.
Bloating can lead to constipation and more serious complications.
When a cat cannot go to the litter box for a long time, its behavior and mood changes. Constipation symptoms appear as follows:
- The pet’s belly is swollen and firm to the touch.
- Loss of appetite.
- Long and ineffectual stay on the tray.
- Digging in filler, loud screams.
- Sparse hard and dry stool.
- Lack of playful mood.
If you notice such symptoms in your pet, you should not try to help him on your own, as this is a very serious problem. You need to see a doctor immediately so that he can help your animal. It is also not worth delaying with this, since there are known fatalities.
Why does a cat not go to the toilet for a large (reasons)
Hair could enter the stomach when washing. This is serious and may cause blockage.
Any owner, of course, wants to know what causes constipation in a cat in order to avoid this in the future. The most common reasons are:
- Protein free food.
- Licky fur accumulated in the stomach.
- Inflammation or cyst in the intestines.
- Foreign body in the stomach.
- Consequence of taking medications.
- Old animals that move little.
Preventing constipation in cats
Human food can cause problems for a cat on a big trip.
In order for your cat to never have problems with stool, you need to monitor the condition and behavior of your animal. You should scratch your cat regularly, especially if it is fluffy. Try to prevent inedible objects from falling into the paws of cats: beads, ribbons, laces, bones, etc.
The basis for combating constipation is a healthy and balanced food for the animal. Regarding food, you must follow the following rules:
- Do not feed your pet what you eat yourself. Human food doesn’t always suit cats.
- The food you feed your cat should not be very cold or hot. Liquid and warm foods are best for normal bowel function.
- Sometimes, for constipation, the veterinarian prescribes a special food that can get rid of this delicate problem. You should know that this food should not become the main food of your pet. It should be added to the diet as a supplement to its daily diet.
What to do?
A mother cat helps kittens cope with constipation. How to help an adult cat?
If you took a small animal home, most likely it will be difficult for him to cope with such a problem himself, so you can help him on your own. Place the kitten on its knees with its tummy up.
Performing a tummy massage on a kitten.
Stroke your tummy clockwise and from top to bottom. Thus, you can move away the accumulated gases, and this should help the pet.
How many days a big kitten can not walk (stress when moving)
Under the stress of moving a little creature to a new home, the chair may not go out for 3-5 days. And this is the norm, but only for small kittens.
What do we have to do?
If the kitten does not poop even for two days, you need to take action. The procedure depends a lot on the cause of the constipation.
- A massage will help the little kitten. The baby is laid on the back. After moistening a soft cloth or cotton pad with warm water, make longitudinal movements along the tummy from the chest to the tail. One must act carefully, gently, without pressure. The kitten should not feel uncomfortable. Duration of massage 2-3 minutes.
- A few drops of oil added to food twice a day can help relieve constipation. Olive, flaxseed, and vaseline oil is suitable, but it is better to refuse sunflower oil, it gives a powerful load on the liver. You can put the oil directly into your mouth using a syringe without a needle. Daily dose is not more than half a teaspoon.
- Soap can help the kitten solve the problem with going to the toilet. A small piece is cut, giving the shape of a candle, then moistened with water and inserted into the anus of the animal. The procedure is unpleasant for the baby, so it is better to carry out it when he is sleeping. After a short time, the soap will start to work, and the kitten goes off in great.
- After several days of constipation, it is permissible to use an enema. A small syringe (10 ml) is required for the procedure. It is filled with lukewarm boiled water. The tip is smeared with petroleum jelly or oil and gently inserted into the anus of the animal. The insertion depth should be sufficient so that the liquid does not spill out. It is very inconvenient to carry out manipulations alone, given that the kitten is unlikely to lie still. An assistant will be needed. But if you don’t have enough experience, it’s better to invite a veterinarian.
- Medicines for constipation should be prescribed by a doctor. It is not recommended to use them yourself. There is a whole group of medicines suitable for small kittens. These include, for example, “Lactusan” and “Duphalac”. These are mild products based on lactulose, a substance that causes a laxative effect.
Do not self-medicate. If the kitten does not walk for several days, it’s time to see a specialist.
If this problem is in an adult cat
An adult animal empties its intestines on average once a day. If the cat eats, but does not go to the toilet for 3-4 days, you need to take action.
The problem can occur in an adult cat too.
The causes of constipation in adult cats and cats are more varied than in babies:
- Nutritional deficiencies (unbalanced menu, foods with insufficient fiber, lack of fluid);
- Wool that got into the digestive tract during the licking process;
- Nervous state due to moving, the appearance of a child or a new pet, a large number of people around, constant noise, other stressful situation;
- A sedentary lifestyle (especially dangerous for spayed animals) leading to obesity;
- Age-related changes;
- Various diseases (hernias, inflammations, tumors);
- Multiple pregnancy;
- Empty or dirty tray.
With constipation, the prognosis is more favorable. If it is accompanied by difficulty urinating, then the situation is more dangerous.
The following actions will help to correct the situation:
- Stir in food or pour oil into the mouth;
- Give a natural laxative several times a day, for example, condensed milk diluted with water in a 1: 1 ratio;
- Make an enema;
- Apply medicines, probiotics.
It will be easier to cope with constipation if you detect the problem in a timely manner and immediately start solving it.
Causes of the problem
Having noticed that the kitten does not go to the toilet, the owner should immediately try to find out the reason for what is happening. This will make it much easier to cope with the unpleasant phenomenon. There are many factors that contribute to constipation.
- Newborns and very young pets need help to empty their bowels. They usually get this help from the cat. During the first weeks of a kitten’s life, the mother licks it, stimulating blood flow and the work of internal organs, including the intestines. The reason that a kitten at the age of 1 month does not walk too much can be either inexperience or laziness of the mother, who does not take good care of the baby. Constipation can also occur if the kitten is taken early from the mother.
- Stress is a common cause of bowel problems. This group includes many different situations. An early separation from a mother cat, a new home and new owners, increased attention from children, fear from meeting another animal or from a loud sound, a long trip. all this makes the baby nervous and can lead to constipation. We must give him time to get used to, to look around. Provide comfort, peace, caress more often. After a short time, the pet will get used to it, the anxiety will pass, and with it the constipation will go away.
One of the reasons is a lack of fluid
- Improper nutrition in a short time can provoke disturbances in the work of the gastrointestinal tract in the kitten. This happens when changing feed or after introducing new products into the diet. The first food for the baby is mother’s milk, it contains all the substances necessary for development and growth. Starting from one. one and a half months, you can gradually transfer the animal to regular food. Some of the added foods may cause constipation. It is necessary to introduce new products one at a time, taking breaks for several days, so that the body has time to adapt. The transition to a new feed should also be done gradually and it is advisable not to combine it with moving to a new house. First, the kitten must be given the opportunity to get used to the new environment, and only then move on to the new menu. Natural food should be supplemented with bran, which improves intestinal function.
- Lack of fluid greatly affects the bowel movement, especially in small pets. A bowl of clean water should always stand next to the food.
- Congenital anomalies of internal organs is another possible reason why the kitten does not poop.
- A foreign body trapped in the intestines can obstruct the passage of feces. Curious toddlers gnaw whatever they find interesting, sometimes swallowing the object. The same thing happens when a kitten’s teeth are teething. Small toys or even litter from the tray may be swallowed.
In addition to all of the above, parasites or a developing disease can become the cause of constipation.
The problem with a kitten that doesn’t go to the toilet for a big time
The situation when a kitten cannot go to the toilet is quite common. Small pets are more susceptible to stress, and their fragile body reacts even to minor changes in conditions.
Each owner should be able to determine that the pet has constipation in order not to waste time and solve the problem without waiting for complications.
How to tell if it is constipation?
A small kitten can poop 2-3 times a day. The absence of a chair is the main sign that the kitten does not go to the toilet for a long time. But it can be difficult for the owner to track this moment. For example, if the animal freely goes outside and empties there.
The kitten sits in the tray for a long time
There are other symptoms that the baby has problems with bowel movements:
- The animal often approaches the tray, sometimes sits down, but to no avail;
- Attempts to go to great lengths cause discomfort, are accompanied by plaintive meowing, increased nervousness;
- The kitten begins to be afraid of the tray, goes around it for a long time from all sides before sitting down;
- If a little feces still comes out, then it is dry, hard;
- In the excrement, blood clots, mucus are noticeable;
- The baby loses appetite;
- The pet starts to lose weight;
- The kitten becomes lethargic, does not play, does not lick itself;
- Bloating is common;
- After the baby has been pushing for a long time, a little liquid feces are released;
- In cases of prolonged constipation, vomiting may begin.
Not all of these signs will necessarily be present. But having noticed at least some of them, you should take a closer look at the pet.
The best remedy for constipation is prevention. The most effective methods are to monitor the quality and diet of your pet. In addition, it is necessary to provide him with the conditions for an active pastime, vaccinate on time, monitor hygiene and pay attention to any changes in behavior and condition.
Often a small kitten cannot go to the toilet for a big
Imagine you took home a little kitten. After a while, you notice that he does not go to the toilet. This threatens with dangers to his body. Therefore, you need to know what to do if the kitten cannot go to the toilet for a long time. In most cases, this is due to the fact that he is experiencing frequent stress or because of a change in feed.
How to help a kitten with constipation?
The kitten cannot go to the toilet due to internal worries. For this, a recent move to new owners may serve. Problems with worms or hairball. It will take a lot of time and understanding to get a kitten stool set up. It is worth revising the feeding of the kitten, adjusting the necessary care for him.
In order to cure the constipation of a small kitten at home, the following techniques are suitable:
Before doing an enema, you should see a doctor. If the kitten has another pathology, such as obstruction or volvulus, then an enema cannot be done. Before the enema, you need to prepare everything:
Warm water 50 ml
Napkin or rag
Prevention of constipation in kittens
To eliminate constipation, it is important to feed the kitten correctly. Small kittens should not be fed with cow’s milk. Milk can hurt their tummy. Better to give sour, such as: kefir, fermented baked milk, cream. You can liquid semolina porridge, egg yolk. If constipation persists, then add 3-4 drops of olive oil or petroleum jelly to the food. If there is no effect, then you need to repeat on the second day. Don’t give another dose of oil after a few hours.
For prevention, you can add 2-3 drops of linseed oil each time. Raw liver in small quantities can give good results. Fresh cooked pumpkin will also work. It has a mild laxative effect. Wheat bran porridge cleanses the intestines well. In order for your pet to go to the toilet normally, you need to add more water to the diet. Add water to porridges, pates, cook different soups. If the kitten eats dry food, then he needs constant access to water.
How to give an enema to a kitten
When carrying out an enema, it is better if there is an assistant. To hold the kitten. And if he is not, then you can handle it yourself. First you need to lay the kitten with its head towards you, with its stomach on top, it will be easier if it lies on the knees of the one who will do the enema. The anus should be lubricated with petroleum jelly or cream for children. Introduce the tip of the pear 1-2 cm. Pour water slowly into the rectum. Do not pour water heavily, this can rupture the intestines of the kitten. After removing the pear, you need to squeeze the kitten’s ass and not massage the tummy much.
Then put the kitten on the tray. And wait next to him until he goes to the toilet. If the kitten has not emptied the intestines, then the enema should be repeated after 2 hours. So sometimes they use soap for constipation. To do this, they take soap, rub it a little, make a small candle and insert the kitten into the ass. This should stimulate the intestines and help the kitten cope with constipation faster.
You cannot give an enema to a kitten when he has:
It is forbidden when the kitten is infected with worms
Massage also helps cats and kittens cope with many diseases. 1.5 hours after eating, you can prepare the kitten for massage. So that the kitten does not worry, you should calm him down if he is scared. Massage is easier on your knees. So the cat will be calmer. In order for him not to run away, you need to start with caress and stroking. This will help establish some kind of contact between the owner and the animal. Then move to the kitten’s tummy. With your thumb, start stroking slightly. You need to iron in a circular, clockwise direction.
The massage lasts 4-5 minutes, then finishes with stroking. In order for the kitten not to run away and bite his hand, it is worth distracting him with the other hand. Don’t press too hard and too hard. This makes the kitten uncomfortable. And there will be no benefit. For kittens with a hernia, do not massage the abdomen. It is also impossible to do who have problems, for example, bloat. Before the massage, you should go and ask the doctor for permission. After constipation has been treated, massage can be used to prevent further constipation.
Caring for a kitten during constipation
It is also important to take proper care of the kitten during constipation. To help relieve constipation of a kitten, it is worth giving food on demand, as malnutrition can be associated with constipation. Lead the kitten observing how he feels, how he spends the day, play more outdoor games with him, you can go for a walk to run on the green grass. See that there is always water in the bowl, and give less dry food, replace it with a wet one, or a natural diet.
But in each situation you cannot figure it out yourself, you need to contact a veterinarian. So that he prescribes the appropriate treatment for the kitten. And only he can tell which method of treatment is more suitable. You can not self-medicate. Especially for such little pets.
Causes of constipation
Constipation is common in newborn babies. They first need help to empty it. While the kitten is next to the mother, she constantly licks the baby. At the same time, the tongue massages the tummy, which stimulates the intestines and blood flow.
In this case, the reason why kittens do not walk for a long time can only be two reasons. an abnormal structure of internal organs or the mother’s laziness, which does not provide newborns with the necessary hygiene.
The second reason why the kitten does not visit the toilet is improper nutrition. It takes time for the baby to get used to foods other than breast milk. The kitten should start trying new foods gradually, one a week. Otherwise, bowel function is disrupted and as a result, prolonged constipation occurs. They also appear if the pet is fed dry food and there is not enough water in the bowl.
It is important that the kitten move and play as much as possible. Otherwise, obesity appears, intestinal motility is impaired. Feces are difficult to move to the anus. In this case, the reabsorption of various substances occurs. Since the already processed feces contain harmful substances, they return to the body.
The kitten begins to feel severe intoxication. The stool becomes very dense, the animal cannot even push it out with great effort. This is aggravated by trauma to the anus, cracks and pain appear. As a result, the kitten is already afraid to go to the toilet for the most part.
What to do if the kitten does not go to the toilet for a long time?
If a kitten does not go to the toilet for a long time, in most cases this indicates a malfunction in the body. Although the reasons may not be related to health. In any case, it is necessary to record how many days the kitten does not go to the toilet for a long time. If more than three days. the animal urgently needs to be taken to the veterinarian, it is not recommended to treat it yourself.
Signs of constipation
It is possible to determine whether a kitten has gone to the toilet by a number of signs. They can be recognized early on. Most often, such a problem, when a kitten cannot go to the toilet for several days, appears in the first months of a pet’s life. First, for 4 weeks his mother licks him, and then only he begins to get used to the process of emptying. The main signs by which you can determine that a kitten is suffering from constipation and cannot go to the toilet for a large part:
- The animal often, but to no avail, runs to the tray;
- The kitten greatly decreases in weight in a month;
- The pet almost loses its appetite due to poorly digested food;
- If the kitten was still able to poop. the excrement is hard and dry, sometimes mixed with mucus or blood clots;
- Any attempt to go to the toilet for the most part causes pain in the animal, so fear appears.
The kitten meows loudly and tensely, screams. Constipation can last a day or several days. The last option is already dangerous for the pet’s health, the kitten may even die.
Other factors causing constipation include:
- Stressful situations. This can be a separation from the mother, moving to a new home, meeting a dog, etc. The kitten may not go to the toilet for a long time, even for five days.
- Ingestion of a foreign body. A small kitten is very curious, everything is interesting to him and he can swallow the object he likes. This often not only clogs the anal passage, but also damages internal organs, which will lead to diseases and prolonged constipation.
- The kitten chews on litter. This happens when pets lack vitamins or out of simple curiosity. In addition, some fillers contain a number of fragrances that attract their scent. The kitten gnaws hard granules and during the growth of teeth.
- Age changes.
- Sterilization or castration.
When an animal, trying to empty itself, meows strongly, the question arises. does it hurt for a kitten to walk in a big way? It may be temporary constipation caused by unfamiliar food, stress, or a change in environment. Since the kitten already from childhood begins to constantly lick its fur, it enters the stomach in large quantities. This is due to the structural features of the cat’s tongue.
As a result, large hard lumps form in the intestines, which clog the passages and the kitten goes to the toilet in large quantities, experiencing severe pain in the anus. Also, such sensations can occur when certain diseases appear:
- Growing neoplasms;
- Numerous polyps;
- Hernia in the perineum;
- Intestinal inflammation;
- Parasites (worms, etc.);
- Cystic formations;
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- Injuries to the limbs or abdomen;
With neurogenic constipation, the kitten tries to poop, but the feces come out in small peas. It is very painful, the animal tries to go to the toilet in large measure and run away from negative sensations, so it rushes around the tray, cannot get comfortable and meows loudly.
Also, animals really feel the attitude of people towards them. If it is unfavorable, it can cause a nervous breakdown in the baby and lead to a delay in bowel movements.
How to normalize a kitten’s stool?
Treatment for constipation kittens can be conservative or prompt. In the first case, the diet is revised, free access to water is provided and its quantity increases. Vegetable oils are added to the diet (preferably olive).
It is undesirable to give sunflower oil to the baby, as it puts a lot of stress on the liver. Potatoes are not recommended for the kitten. It contains starch, which is difficult and incomplete to digest even in adult animals.
The kitten undergoes surgical intervention if the cause of constipation is:
- Benign or malignant neoplasms;
- Ingestion of foreign objects;
- Strong parasitic invasion.
Also, treatment can be done independently in several ways. At a minimum, the methods will ease the baby’s condition:
- If the kitten is still very small, then he needs to do a tummy massage every day. This can be done with a damp cloth. The kitten lies on its stomach and the back is massaged along the back towards the anus. Then the movements are transferred to the anus. The procedure is performed within three minutes.
- You can put a small bar of soap into the kitten’s anus. In a few minutes, the kitten will rush to the toilet for a big.
- It takes patience and experience to administer an enema. A small syringe (or a 10 ml syringe) is filled with warm water. The tip is lubricated with petroleum jelly and inserted into the anus of the kitten. Then water is poured in there.
Laxative for kittens comes in different forms:
- Condensed milk is mixed in water in equal proportions. Every hour the kitten is given a teaspoon of the drink. The maximum allowed dosage is 5 tbsp. L.
- Vaseline oil is used for enema and is poured into the kitten with a syringe (the needle is not put on it). Half a teaspoon is enough.
With prolonged constipation, you can give your pet “Lakstusan”, “Bifidumbacterin”, “Duflac” or “Lactobacterin”. However, before that, a veterinarian consultation is required. Some medications are contraindicated for cats. Another nuance is the correct dosage, which only a doctor can choose.
So that the pet does not have long-term constipation, it is necessary to provide it with adequate nutrition and all the vitamins necessary for the body. If the kitten eats natural food, then 80 percent of it comes from meat products. There should always be clean water in the bowl, it changes daily. A couple of times a week, the animal should be given fermented milk products. At least once a year, the kitten must be examined by a veterinarian.