The whole variety of houses for cats can be classified according to several criteria that affect the comfort of the pet and the purpose of the product for specific representatives of the feline family, since some of them have their own characteristics of size, shape and body characteristics.
How to equip?
You can make your cat’s house even more cozy by adding a few extra elements to it.
- Soft decorative pillows of small sizes are perfectly combined with a large stove bench. They will add additional softness to the surface of the lounger, and can also serve as decorative elements.
- To equip a pet’s dwelling with a hammock, it is necessary to sew it in advance from a dense fabric, equip it with loops for fastening, and also mount fasteners in the body of the sun loungers.
- If you want to make a soft tunnel, then you need to create a frame from round rods and sheathe it with fabric.
- It is also appropriate to use hanging toys as an additional detail.
By size and shape
These are two basic features that significantly affect the consumption of materials and the price of the product. Allocate the following constructions.
- Pillar trimmed with claw cloth, on a round or square base. This is the simplest type of product with a scratching post. The pipe itself can be either round or square with smooth corners.
- A slightly more complex option is a pipe with a base at the bottom and a shelf at the top. In addition to caring for the claws, the cat has the opportunity to jump onto an elevated platform. This and the previous options usually do not exceed a meter in height.
- A slightly more complex design will include a kind of kennel in the lower zone. a box upholstered on the inside and outside with soft material with a hole. Above it is a post with a scratching post. In height, such products reach 150 centimeters. Sometimes an additional shelf is attached to the post so that the kitten, which does not yet know how to jump high, has an additional area for jumping.
- Larger scale models are a combination of the second and third options. They are great for families with a couple of cats, since several flat shelves, a closed compartment at the bottom and equipping with two posts with a scratching post will allow both pets to satisfy their need for nail care at the same time.
- A special type of model is called a tower. Such a house looks like a cave with two floors, the entrance to it is also in the upper zone. On the side, as a rule, there is a post for sharpening the claws. The product has a small height up to 1 meter and a round shape.
- For pets of medium size, such a house as the “Oval Office” is perfect. The model is named so because the bottom closed compartment with a hole has an oval shape. Also in such a house there is a middle and upper tier with three scratching posts. In height, such products are approximately 1.3 meters.
- A luxurious option for a house with several cats is a four-tier structure, which can be 170 centimeters high. Such tall models are often equipped with a hammock and numerous scratching posts on which the remaining compartments of the mini-dwelling are fixed.
- If you want to buy a compact, but at the same time quite spacious house for your pet, then corner models are suitable for you. The shape of the bottom compartment with an opening is designed in such a way that the product fits perfectly into the corner of the room. Above the lower section there is a scratching post and additional shelves.
- Playgrounds and multi-tiered models can be 190 cm high and even more. They are often equipped with additional elements such as hanging toys, tunnels. Scratching posts are present in them by default.
2 cardboard crafts for your cat
Thus, among such a variety of types of houses for a four-legged pet, everyone can find the ideal option with a scratching post and other attributes.
Prepare all the components in advance to create a cat home. These include:
- fiberboard board with parameters 1.2 m by 0.4 m;
- cutting from the same material with parameters 0.44 by 0.55 m;
- a piece of chipboard measuring 0.6 by 0.44 m;
- slats in the amount of seven pieces with a section of 3×4 and a length of 0.4 m;
- PVC pipe with a height of 0.6 m and a diameter of 0.11 m;
- jute or sisal rope;
- pieces of chipboard and fiberboard with parameters 0.3 by 0.44 m;
- foam rubber;
- upholstery material (optional).
The scheme of self-creation of a structure is as follows.
- First of all, prepare drawings and photographs of finished products for calculating material and landmarks.
- Draw circles on two parts of the fiberboard, the diameter of which will be 0.27 m.
- Leave the back of the kennel untouched, and on the front, draw a circle with a diameter of 0.22 m, then cut it out. Also on this side, you can additionally create small circles like windows. Then cut the required sections along the contour.
- Further, the resulting sections are marked for subsequent placement of the rails. To do this, the sections must be combined and holes drilled in both to indicate the locations of the vertical rails.
- The rear and front elements of the mini-dwelling are fastened together using self-tapping screws and pre-processed slats.
- Further, the structure is finished with fabric and other materials. A layer of foam rubber is also placed on the base in front of the fabric layer. Then the decorative fabric is attached with a stapler.
- On walls, upholstery or fabric material is best fixed with glue using a heat gun.
- When creating a roof, you need to glue the top chipboard panel, and also close the slats that were used inside the house in the lower part.
- To ensure the stability of the pipe inside the product, it is fixed using special wood blocks, glue and sometimes self-tapping screws.
- Then loungers are strung onto the pipe frame, which have a semicircular shape.
- The planking of the lounger is a layer of foam rubber covered with an upholstery fabric.
- The section of the post reserved for the scratching post is wrapped with a pre-prepared material. The most suitable and safe means of securing it for an animal is PVA glue. If you want to fasten the fabric with staples or screws, make sure that the animal will not have access to them.
- The board is fastened to the bottom of the house, as well as to its top rail.
Wall scratching posts
Wall scratching posts are the best option for an apartment and a small house. They will not roll around anywhere. They are permanently mounted on the wall and do not take up space in the house, unlike the floor ones. They do not need to be cleaned of wool. Such products cannot be turned over, creating a crash at the most inopportune moment, so they are ideal for large active animals.
You don’t need to spend a lot of money on materials for their manufacture. Almost all the necessary materials are often found in every home. They have one more indisputable advantage over other models of claws. A wall scratching post can cover a wall or corner scratched by a cat. For the manufacture of both flat and angled scratching posts for cats with their own hands, the manufacturing scheme is quite simple. a piece of plywood with a soft fabric layer is attached to the wall with slats around the perimeter.
The size of the piece of plywood you need depends on the size of the cat. The length of the plywood should be 5-10 cm longer than the length of the cat with outstretched legs so that it cannot scratch the wall above the scratching post. The width of the plywood for a flat wall clipper should be about 40 cm so that the cat, spreading its paws, does not scratch the walls next to it. To make a corner scratching post with your own hands, you will need 2 pieces of plywood at least 25 cm wide.If the kitten is still small, then you need to focus on the size of an adult cat of its breed.
A piece of old carpet with the wrong side out is perfect for a soft layer. If possible, then you need to put the carpet in 2 layers. Then the claw will be softer and more durable. A lovely soft layer will come out of a piece of quilt covered with several layers of burlap or thick corduroy. In the absence of a carpet or cotton blanket, a natural fabric bedspread folded in several layers is perfect.
A piece of carpet or blanket should be cut to fit the plywood and secured around the perimeter with glue or a stapler. Burlap or corduroy should be cut with a margin of 7-10 cm around the edges. On the fabric laid out face down, put the plywood with a soft layer inward, bend the edges of the fabric and fix it around the perimeter with glue or a stapler, pulling tight.
Then prepare 4 slats equal to the sides of the plywood rectangle, screw the screws into them at a distance of 4-6 cm from each other so that the edge of the fasteners does not protrude from the slats. Such a small distance between the screws is necessary for the durability of the scratching point. The screws must be long enough. When choosing their length, you need to take into account the thickness of the rail itself, the plywood with a soft layer and the depth to which the screws must enter the wall for a firm attachment of the clipper. Now you need to fix the prepared plywood with a soft layer with slats to the wall, tightening the screws to the end. There should be no distance between the floor and the scratching post, because the cat will sharpen the claws on its hind legs in the lower part of it.
The simplest claws. quick and easy
In the house where the cat appeared, the scratching post for her becomes almost a necessity for the owners, if they do not want to subsequently admire the spoiled things. Because in her absence, the cat will sharpen its claws on anything, most often on furniture. And if you get used to something, then it will be quite problematic to wean her.
If a cat suddenly appeared in the house, or there is no time to create a stationary sharpener for claws, then the simplest methods of making them are suitable for this case. A piece of soft wood log with peeled bark 70-100 cm long can act as the simplest scratching point. The scratching point made of wood is very strong, durable and does not require cleaning. You can cut the log in half along the grain and attach it to the wall.
A do-it-yourself cat scratching post made of packaging cardboard is made instantly. To do this, it is enough to tightly roll the packing cardboard into a roll and tie it tightly in several places with twine. The height of the roll should be approximately equal to the length of the cat with outstretched legs, and the width of the bundle should be slightly less than the thickness of the cat. With a high degree of probability, the cat will show interest in the process and begin to scratch the cardboard without waiting for the end of production. As a result, the furniture in the house will be safe and sound.
If the cat did not show interest in the process, then you need to play with this roll at the end of production. This should be done when the cat wants to play, and not eat or sleep. In no case should you wake up a sleeping cat and try to play with it with such a roll. This is often provoked by children who are impatient to offer their pet a new game. Therefore, children need to explain in advance that a sleepy animal can be frightened with such a large object, and after that it will bypass the cardboard roll.
If it didn’t work out, then you need to slightly moisten the tip of your finger with valerian tincture and touch it to the roll, or rub the cardboard a little with catnip. An old rug or carpet with a fabric backing can be used to make an excellent claw in minutes. To do this, you need to roll the carpet into a roll with the wrong side out and tie it with twine in several places. Cats love this claw-rail regardless of its size and get used to it instantly. just show it once. It serves for a long time and is suitable even for large active cats.
A wonderful do-it-yourself cat scratching post is easily made from an ordinary bag, sewn from natural material. In the bag you need to put an old unnecessary thing made of natural fabric, twisted into a tube, or a strip of cardboard 7-10 cm wide. And then roll the bag tightly. Secure the edge of the bundle with twine, threading its pieces into the burlap and tying them in a knot. The distances between the threads of the burlap are large, and it will not be difficult to thread the twine through them. For convenience, you can use a crochet hook, if you have one.
A voluminous burlap roll, inside which there is a rolled item, can be stylized as candy by tying it with twine at a short distance from the edges. You can also stylize it as a sausage by pulling it with a rope through equal distances along its entire length, as the sausages are tied up. On a flat claw frame, you can draw a fish or a cat’s face with a marker or felt-tip pens, and it will look much more interesting. And a small kitten can use such burlap scratching posts for a long time.
DIY Cat Scratcher/Scratching Post
It is imperative to pay attention to the materials suitable for their manufacture and safe for feline health.
DIY cat scratching post from scrap materials
A simple and functional do-it-yourself scratching post is done easily and quickly
So it’s worth looking at the of ready-made accessories and figuring out how to make a scratching post for a cat with your own hands. It is imperative to pay attention to materials suitable for their manufacture and safe for feline health. And after that, carefully weigh everything and decide whether it is worth spending money or not.
It is also necessary to take into account the fact that the cat may not even come up to the purchased claw sharpener, despite all the admonitions of the owners. In some cases, he may even begin to bury a beautiful thing bought for him with love. This is due to the fact that the animal does not like the smell of some synthetic materials and dyes used in the production of the accessory. In such cases, it is unsafe to force an animal to use an object that he did not like in such a harsh way as smearing the surface with valerian tincture. After some time using an unsuccessful accessory, the cat may become lethargic, begin to lose hair and appetite. And this will certainly affect his health.
How to make a scratching post
Scratching posts. posts
Scratching posts can be made with or without a base. Long posts without a base are fixed with metal corners and screws to the floor and ceiling. They can be made from tree trunks 7-10 cm thick with peeled bark or from a plastic pipe 5 cm in diameter, tightly wrapped with twine or a thin rope in 1 or several layers. Before wrapping, the pipe must be coated with glue, and the twine during winding must be compacted by tapping on it with a hammer. But you will need a lot of twine and rope, so a long pipe-trainer from a pipe for an active pet will cost a decent amount of money. Make wooden ones much more profitable.
A column on the base must be made at least 1 m high. As a base, a heavy board or multilayer plywood 40-50 cm wide and 50-70 cm long is required. For the column, you need a piece of dense plastic pipe. The pipe must be attached to the central part of the base using metal corners and screws. Cut a piece of carpet 10 cm wide and 10 cm longer than the base. In the center of it, cut a round hole equal to the diameter of the pipe.
Put the cover on the base with the wrong side up. The protruding edges of the covering must be wrapped on the inside of the base and secured with a good holding glue or a stapler. The pipe must be coated with glue and tightly wrapped with twine or rope. A soft toy can be inserted into the pipe hole.
Floor scratching posts
Floor scratching posts are different. flat, posts, combined with a stove bench or a house. They take up a lot of space in the house, but in some cases they are irreplaceable. Flat and heavy floorboards will help out when the wall material does not allow you to attach wall ones to them. And you do not want to constantly stumble over light rags for cats made of cardboard or fabric, which the cat drags around the apartment. The floor claw board, located under the table, will not interfere with anyone. The columns will be very good for an active and young cat if he has nowhere to climb in the apartment, and there is no way to go outside. Complex complexes with houses and beds will be especially useful where there are several cats, and kittens are often born. All animals will have a place to frolic, and they will not constantly get underfoot, scratch and spoil furniture.
Sharpener made of wooden beams
This is the easiest and cheapest way to get a scratching post for your pet. The main material for it will be a small log. It must be cleaned of bark and debris, and then dried in a dry, dark room for a while.
After drying, you need to process the tree, removing unnecessary areas and dangerous places. Neither animals nor people should get hurt by such a scratching post. The beam is installed on a heavy stand or fixed against a wall.
The main disadvantage of such a device is its low attractiveness for cats. The pet can simply ignore it, but you cannot force it to sharpen its claws. This will have the opposite effect.
Ways to teach a cat to a scratching post
At this stage, the assembly of the simplest scratching post can be considered complete. If the scratching post was not previously used in the house, and the cat does not know about its purpose, then you will need to do a little explanatory work. Several times grinding the claws on the scratching post will be enough for the animal to independently determine for itself all the benefits of such a device.
The sharpener cannot be installed everywhere. In the walk-through rooms and the toilet, it will simply be ignored by the animals. Pay attention to the place where the pet most likes to sharpen its claws, and put it in those places.
You can also use catnip to attract attention. Unlike valerian, catnip does not cause negative effects on animals.
Do not try to force the cat to do something or by screaming. At best, this will not give any positive effects, and at worst, the result will be completely opposite. The animal will understand that the scratching post is associated with increased aggression on the part of the owners, and it is better to bypass this device.
DIY cat scratching post
The constant grinding of claws is an important and obligatory procedure in the life of any cat. If you want to help your pet with this and make a scratching post for cats with your own hands, then in this article you will receive complete information on how to make it. Such a device will not only become a solution to the natural problems of a cat, but also help protect your furniture from damage.
Other types of scratching posts
Jute twine designs are not the only way for an animal to grind its claws. Craftsmen successfully make other sharpeners from available materials. Let’s consider them in more detail.
What is a scratching post for?
Animal claws are constantly growing. This feature is also common to people, but a person is used to carrying out appropriate hygiene procedures and regulating the growth of nails. In the wild, cats also keep their claws in order by grinding them on hard surfaces.
In the wild, cats do not have problems with grinding their claws, but at home problems begin. They start looking for the most convenient items for this. The distribution includes upholstered furniture, floor carpets, wooden surfaces and much more. Of course, you can restrict the cat from grinding its claws on household furniture, but this will lead to serious consequences for its health (cracked claws, painful sensations when moving, limitation of physical capabilities).
A cat claw sharpener will help you accomplish two goals at once. keeping the furniture in the house intact and keeping the cat’s claws in perfect order.
Cardboard affects cats in a completely unimaginable way. You’ve probably watched cats use cardboard boxes as sharpeners if they are not removed in time. Using the high appeal of this material for pets, you can make a simple and budget sharpener.
- A wooden dowel is screwed perpendicularly to the prepared base, on which the sheets of cardboard will be “put on”.
- Pieces of a pre-prepared shape are cut from a cardboard box. They will fit over a wooden dowel. It is advisable to make them the same shape, since it will be easier for the animal to sharpen its claws. Don’t forget to make a hole for the dowel.
- After cutting out the shapes, they are put on the frame. The result is a tower-type structure.
- The top sheet can be additionally fixed with a screw to give density to the entire structure.
Another version of this sharpener is a rolled cardboard strip. To make it, the box is cut into long strips of equal width. The width of the strip will be equal to the height of the sharpener.
The strip is twisted into a tight spiral, periodically gluing. If one strip is not enough to make a scratching post, then the winding is continued with a second strip, after gluing it. As a result, you should get a round “rug” on which it will be very comfortable for cats to sit and sharpen their claws on its surface.
Other “furniture” for animals can be made using cardboard. But it must be borne in mind that more complex models will require much more time and effort to create, and the durability of such sharpeners is small.
The main disadvantage of such devices is the material itself. It breaks down very easily with constant use. Such a sharpener deteriorates very quickly, and also forms a large amount of debris.
Required materials and calculation of their quantity
Initially, the minimum height of the sharpener post should be determined. To do this, you need to measure the length of your pet by stretching it on the floor. The length is determined without taking into account the tail. The resulting result is multiplied by 1.5 and we get the desired value. As a material for the post, you can take a plastic or cardboard tube.
The stand plays an important role in the manufacture of scratching posts. It should be large enough in size and heavy in weight. Its main task is to ensure the stability of the structure and prevent it from overturning while grinding the claws. For these purposes, a piece of an old tabletop or a board of the right size is suitable.
Jute or hemp rope is used as the material for covering the post. Specialists also recommend the use of sisal rope due to its high strength and ability to withstand high loads. To determine its length, we will use school knowledge of geometry. It is known that the circumference is determined by the following formula:
We apply it and determine the circumference of our pillar. If its radius is 5 cm, then the length will be 31.4 cm.The calculation is performed using the built-in calculator of your operating system, switching it to engineering mode.
Next, you need to find out how many revolutions you need to complete to completely wrap the post. To do this, we measure its height and divide this value by the thickness of the rope. For example, to completely wrap a post with a height of 1.5 m with twine 1 cm thick, you will need to make 150 turns.
At the end, multiply the circumference and the number of revolutions to obtain the minimum length of the jute twine. In our example, it turned out to be 4710 cm, which is equal to 47.1 m.
We recommend buying a spare twine. A small amount of it will be needed to secure it. Also, the stock will not hurt if the calculations were made not quite accurately or part of the material turned out to be defective.
The stand is upholstered with upholstery fabric or carpet. The size of the upholstery material should be larger than the base for the rear attachment. For fastening, it is most convenient to use an upholstery or furniture stapler.
Metal corners are used to connect the pipe to the stand. For reliable fixation, you will need at least three such mounts. The connection is made with screws.
Additionally, you will need material to close the top of the pipe. This can be done, for example, with a soft tennis ball, plastic or rubber stopper, or any other suitable material.
Assembling the scratching post
Having prepared all the necessary materials and tools, you can start assembling the structure. This process will not be difficult if you follow our step-by-step instructions:
- Preparing the base. To do this, we grind down sharp corners and carry out initial processing. We cut the upholstery material with a margin for the possibility of fixing it on the stand from the back side.
- In the center of the fabric, cut a hole corresponding to the diameter of the pipe.
- Drill a hole in the lower part of the pipe. We put a thread for winding through it and tie it with a knot from the inside of the pipe. This will help keep the twine in place during the winding process.
- We fasten the pipe to the stand with corners and fix the position with screws.
- We put the upholstery material on the pipe through the hole cut out a little earlier. The upholstery is secured to the underside of the stand with staples using a furniture stapler. Can be replaced with a hammer and small upholstery nails if the tool is not available.
- We begin to wind the rope around the pole. Winding is done as tightly and tightly as possible. You constantly need to tamp the layers in order to eliminate even the slightest gap between them. This process is the most time consuming and difficult to carry out alone. Try to find helpers at this stage.
- A few turns to the top, two holes are made in the pipe for the rope. It is threaded through them and tightened with a knot, tightly fixing the winding.
- The top of the pipe is sealed with a soft ball or rubber plug.
A detailed video with a detailed analysis of the key points of assembling a scratching post:
This type of scratching posts is basic, with no additional improvements for cats. However, on its basis, it is possible to create multi-storey structures, where animals will be interested not only to grind their claws, but also to spend time.
Another simple type based on a jute rope is a flat scratching post. It will attract the attention of cats who prefer to grind their claws on horizontal surfaces. For example, carpets. You can make a similar scratching post for a cat with your own hands, following the step-by-step instructions:
- As a basis, we take a board 50×100 cm.
- We fix one of the ends of the jute rope with glue. You can also drill a hole in the board, thread a rope through it, and tie it in a knot so that it cannot go through the hole.
- We begin to wind the rope. The tension should be maximum. Periodically tamp the winding to reduce the gap between the turns.
- We fix the end of the rope so as to avoid unwinding the winding when using a scratching post.
Sometimes the jute rope is replaced with a specially sewn cover. The effectiveness of such a scratching point will be slightly worse, but it is easier to manufacture. If necessary, it can be screwed to the wall or simply leaned against it, which will reduce the space it takes.
The photo below shows several interesting designs that you can make with your own hands, having at your disposal a sufficient amount of free time, materials and tools.
Choice of materials
A house for a cat, with all the additions, is usually assembled from building debris. This is quite justified, because many (or generally all) surfaces of the finished structure will be sheathed with fabric, textiles, entwined with ropes, etc. So if there are leftovers of building materials, you can use them. There are two requirements for materials (all):
- They should not have a pungent odor. In any case, one that perceives the human nose. Natural odors (wood, wool, etc.) do not count. If the material is recently purchased and a chemical smell is present, keep it outside to weep.
- Materials should not be electrified. Static discharges are very unpleasant for cats, so they do not like open plastic surfaces. Also, don’t use silk.
Different designs, but the same materials
All requirements, but there are still wishes. Do you want your cat to quickly and actively explore the house? Soak the building materials in the house for a while. They will be saturated with familiar smells and will be examined by a curious animal. The complex, made “from the materials that have been set aside” in the house, will be received with greater favor.
How to sheathe
Twisted rope made of natural fibers is suitable for arranging scratching posts: jute, linen, hemp, sesal, etc. Take a thicker diameter and several tens of meters at once. if the base is not wooden, you will have to wrap all the pipes with rope.
Shelves and houses are sheathed with dense material with a short pile, usually carpet. The shorter and denser the pile, the better. Long and shaggy ones only look good, and while new ones. over time, dust, wool, various debris are stuffed in them and a cat’s house becomes the cause of allergies (yours or felines).
The color of the upholstery is generally unimportant for cats. they do not react to colors. Therefore, you can choose “for the interior”, the most “practical” color, the color of the pet’s fur, contrasting with the cat’s fur any.
Photos of interesting cat houses / complexes
Living next to us for years, cats become not easy pets, but family members. I would like to create all the conditions for comfort for them, so the owners are trying, coming up with more and more new devices / designs. We have collected some interesting ideas in this section.
Different approach for different number of cats, but interesting ideas
Shelves for cats. the name is clearly not accidental
Making a cat bed in the form of a whatnot is an interesting idea. Just like a cat climbing frame from a ladder
For lovers of top tourism. The cat will be happy!
Wall-mounted hammock. comfortable and safe (for cats and cats)
Combination of cat shelves with hammocks Almost a work of art
Instructions for making a house for two cats
The family has two cats. The older one is an aggressor cat and the younger one is more mobile. Therefore, the design was designed so that the younger could hide on the highest platform, and the older, due to his weight, could not get there. They decided to place the house high, since both cats prefer height. They made it larger in size so that both individuals could be there at the same time.
For this structure, thick furniture plywood (12 mm) with a size of 7550 cm was purchased, posts from a bar of 5070 (4.2 m), a jute-based carpet. 12.5 meters, 20 meters of rope. Fasteners. corners. For a house. 1520 mm, for mounting platforms. 4045 mm, 5520 and 3540. for belaying, and a couple of large ones. for mounting to a wall.
What to add
When the owners say “a house for a cat”, they usually mean a whole cat complex, in which, in addition to the house itself, there are playgrounds and a number of additional devices. Usually one or two sites are actively used, and the rest are only rarely visited. But the fact is that you don’t know in advance what your pet will like.
Scratching posts and climbing frames are useful additions for the cat’s house. Scratching posts are vertical surfaces that are usually wrapped with natural fiber rope.
Climbing boards are horizontal and inclined boards, along which cats can move from one level to another. Scratching posts, by the way, can also be used as climbing frames. along them the animal climbs to the upper tiers.
Climbing and hammocks. this is what cats usually like
What else could be in a cat complex? Hammocks. Usually it is a piece of rectangular fabric, secured on two crossbars. Another option is also possible. a rigid frame with a fabric hemmed to it or a piece of fabric suspended at four corners to the platform.
The hammock and pipe combination is one of the “Lite” options for the cat corner
Some felines also like pipes. They are sewn from fabric; for rigidity, a circle or oval made of wire is inserted into both ends. One end is fixed higher, the other is thrown down. The main thing is that a gap is visible at the end of the tunnel, otherwise you will not lure the cat tighter. It turns out to be a good place for an ambush, in which some furry hunters like to spend their time.
Brushes are a very handy thing to scratch and brush when the owner is not around. Scratching posts help protect furniture from cat claws. it’s cheaper than buying an anti-vandal sofa
There is another feature that cats like, but which not many people know about. clothes brushes nailed on vertical surfaces at about the level of your pet’s back. The bristles on the brush are artificial, medium hard. Try it, your pet will be happy!
DIY cat house
Favorite attraction. scratching post on the corner of the wall
To make a corner scratching post, you need to prepare three planks or sheets of plywood with a width of at least 15-20 cm, first fix the carpet on them with the wrong side out or twine. Place the prepared products at a corner, for example, a door frame at a height exceeding the length of the cat in an elongated form of about 10 cm.If you wish, you can make a structure for the entire height of the box, the pet will be able to climb on it while playing.
How to quickly and easily make a simple scratching post for a cat with your own hands
There are a lot of options for making scratching posts; you can supplement them with interesting toys, shelves or bridges. Let’s consider the principle of creating the most common structures using simple examples.
Features of making wall scratching posts: photos of finished examples
For a small room, an excellent option is to fix the scratching post on the wall surface, moreover, it is much easier to make it than on the floor. And there are two more advantages: they do not have cat hair left on them, and they cannot be turned over at the most inopportune moment. Therefore, it is an ideal outlet for active pets. For work, you need a sheet of plywood and a bundle, which can be pre-painted for decoration.
All the nuances of making a house for a cat with a scratching post with your own hands
After we have described in detail how to make simple structures, you can complicate the task a little and make a cat’s house with a scratching post, as well as supplement it with beds. First, you need to draw up a sketch and draw a diagram of the future design. Further, the manufacturing process is as follows:
- Cut holes on the base for the installation of posts.
- Make a fabric pattern, cut out the holes for the posts and fasten it to the base with a stapler.
- You can take plastic pipes as posts. They should be fixed to the base with metal corners and self-tapping screws.
- Wind the twine on the posts.
- The upper benches should be made according to the principle of flat claw racks. Fastening to the posts with furniture corners.
- Fasten soft houses for cats on the beds.
It is important! It is advisable to fix a large structure to the wall surface so that during games the cats do not turn it over.
Play complex with a claw for a cat
How to make do-it-yourself floor scratching posts for cats with photos of ready-made designs
A more complex option is floor structures. You can keep things simple and adapt an old small coffee table for this. But we will tell you how to make a scratching post for a cat with your own hands in the form of a column, a house and a whole town with photo examples of manufacturing processes and finished works.
Cat cracker: is it possible to do without it
It is impossible to wean a cat from the instinct to sharpen its claws, it is in their genes. The owners of the animal should know why this is happening:
- The claws are constantly growing, they become overgrown with a layer of hardened skin, causing discomfort to the animal during outdoor games. Therefore, the cat tries to get rid of this cover on a comfortable surface.
- While the cat sharpens its claws, it gets great pleasure.
- The pet marks its territory. Between the pads of the fingers are glands that secrete a secretion with a subtle scent that only animals can feel. Thus, they mark personal possessions.
Mobile Option: Floor-Standing Flat Cat Claw Sharpener
A flat scratching post is one of the simplest devices. To do this, you need a small sheet of board or plywood. On both sides, wrap it with a carpet inside out up or with a tourniquet. The edges can be sewn with heavy thread or secured with a stapler. This design can be used by a pet and as a lounger.
The floor model can serve as a couch for them
Travel cat scratching post: DIY workshop
If a cat is your constant travel companion, be sure to make a travel scratching post. It will not take up much space, and your pet will be happy with his favorite thing on the road. For manufacturing, you need a small sheet of plywood or a board in the form of a rectangle, an adhesive composition for wood, twine, a piece of rope or a strip of leather and a drill. Manufacturing instruction:
- Drill a hole in the board or plywood for the cord.
- Wrap the structure with a rope, periodically putting it on glue, carefully fix the ends.
- To hang the accessory, for example, on a door handle, you need to fix the rope in the holes made earlier.
Travel scratching post can be hung on a rope from the doorknob