The finished structure from the outside is sheathed with clapboard. The boards should fit snugly against each other so that there are no gaps. The bottom is additionally upholstered with roofing material, if necessary, support beams are attached.
Bottom frame manufacturing
Bars 40×40 mm are cut along the length and width of the bottom, laid on a flat surface or on a table, connected with self-tapping screws in a rectangle. If the animal is large, the frame is additionally reinforced with one or two crossbars from a bar. After that, the frame is sheathed with boards on one side.
From the inside, the frame is lined with glassine, which is fixed with a stapler in the corners, after which foam or mineral wool is inserted. Next, the insulation is closed with glassine and plywood is stuffed onto the walls and floor.
Drawing up a drawing of a booth
To make a booth correctly, you need to decide on its shape and size. Do not build too complex a structure: the presence of unnecessary partitions, ladders, ledges and similar elements will greatly interfere with the dog. The best option is a rectangular kennel with a side entrance and a pitched roof, where the pet can bask in the sun. It is advisable to make the roof or one of the walls removable, which will allow you to easily and quickly disinfect the booth.
The dimensions of the booth must correspond to a particular dog, therefore, when drawing up a sketch, it is imperative to take measurements: height at the withers, length from nose to tail, width of the chest and height of the dog.
Based on this, you can determine the parameters of the frame:
- the width and height of the booth is equal to the height of the dog 5 cm;
- the depth of the booth is 5 cm more than the length of the animal;
- the width of the hole corresponds to the width of the chest 5 cm;
- the height of the manhole is 5 cm more than the height of the dog at the withers.
To calculate the parameters of a kennel for a puppy, it is necessary to use data from specialized reference books. So, an approximate design drawing is drawn on paper, all the necessary measurements are transferred to it. It remains to decide on the materials for the booth. Most often, dog houses are made of wood; this material is the most environmentally friendly, easy to use, inexpensive. The use of conifers is especially recommended.
The finished structure is treated from the outside with an ordinary antiseptic or special impregnation, and dried well. Next, roofing material is nailed to the bottom, bending the edges by 5 cm onto the walls, and two bars of 100×50 mm are attached to the roofing material. The bars are also thoroughly coated with a primer mixture. Turn the booth over again, decorate the manhole and the ends of the crate with wooden platbands.
The roof is additionally covered with a sheet of roofing iron and painted
Assembling a shed roof booth
Most dogs like to lie on top of the kennel, so houses with a pitched roof are more convenient for them. The roof should be slightly sloped and always openable. this design simplifies cleaning and disinfection of the booth. To protect the pet from the cold, the house should be carefully insulated, and it is better to do this right away, at the assembly stage. For the same purpose, it is recommended to place the manhole on the wide side of the booth with an offset to one of the corners. So the room will not be blown out and the dog will have a cozy and warm sleeping place.
Booth with a vestibule
To make the dog’s home more comfortable, you can build a kennel with a vestibule. This is a structure consisting of two compartments: the far one is a sleeping place, and the near one protects from drafts and cold. They are separated by an insulated partition with a manhole.
Description of the assembly process
So, putting together a doghouse is not so difficult if all the necessary tools and materials are at hand. Here is an approximate list of works:
- Bottom and frame. We assemble the frame for the bottom from 40×40 bars, after which we nail the floorboards, trying not to leave gaps so that it is warmer. If the dog is heavy, you can additionally strengthen the floor with 40×40 bars so that it does not sag. At the corners of the finished bottom, we vertically fix the bars 100×100. They will form the basis for the walls. Now the structure resembles an inverted table. Between the main bars, perpendicular to the bottom, we install bars 40×40. They will support the roof, strengthen the walls and mark the entrance.
- Walls. For cladding the outer part of the booth, it is better to use lining, which, unlike plywood, will not delaminate over time. We fix the cladding with galvanized nails with small caps.
- Ceiling. If the booth is to be located in an aviary or under a canopy, then you can get by with such a ceiling, which is also a roof. If the kennel does not have any additional protection against bad weather, you need to make the ceiling and roof separately, leaving a space between them. the “attic”. For the ceiling, you will need plywood in size and 40×40 bars. How to insulate a dog booth? It is insulated with mineral wool or foam, laid with glassine. A second sheet of plywood is reinforced from above. It is better to make such a ceiling removable in order to be able to clean the booth and provide veterinary care to the animal. If there is no additional roof, the ceiling is covered with roofing material and bituminous tiles.
- Waterproofing and insulation. We turn the structure upside down. We treat it with antiseptic impregnation, cover it with roofing material and nail on top of it additional 100×50 bars, which we also impregnate with “Senezh”. Turn the structure over again, line the bottom with glassine, then put the insulation and again glassine. We lay the finished floor. Similarly, we insulate the walls and sheathe them from the inside with clapboard. We make a frame for a manhole and a threshold.
- Roof. Initially, roof gables are made. For the perimeter, 40×40 bars are needed, glassine is attached from the inside, and the structure is sheathed on top with clapboard.
- Laz. It is recommended to close the inlet with a curtain made of tarpaulin. So that it does not open from the wind, you can sew small polyethylene s on it from the inside below, into which you can pour sand.
The outside of the booth can be covered with pinotex. This will extend its service life and give the product a pleasant aesthetic appearance.
It is simply necessary to use antiseptic and waterproofing impregnations, otherwise your booth will have to be rebuilt in a year
You can use glassine as insulation, or you can use any other material that you prefer.
The lining of the lining is covered with roofing material and bituminous tiles. this is the simplest and cheapest option
Stages of building a dog house
A warm winter kennel for a dog is not always needed, even if it will be on the site in winter. It is better to make a universal kennel that can be operated in both warm and cold seasons. Such a booth should consist of two parts. a vestibule for the entrance and a sleeping place, where the dog will not be afraid of any cold.
How to find the right place?
As well as for the guard post, the place for the booth must be carefully selected:
How to build a dog house with recycled pallets
- The kennel should not be blown by the wind, so the most frequent wind direction must be taken into account.
- The place for such a dwelling should be bright, but within the reach of the dog there should be a shaded area where the animal could hide in the heat.
- It is better to place the booth in a dry place. on a hill so that water cannot accumulate under it.
- The kennel is placed near the entrance to the residential building, on the south side.
- From his observation post, the dog should see the main part of the site and the entrance gate (gate).
The last principle of site selection requires a special explanation. Owners of dogs, whose pets live with them in city apartments, know that the dog always tries to find a position in which he has the maximum view. Even if it sometimes interferes with the owner, who thinks that the dog is simply getting tangled under his feet. The centuries-old instinct of the guard makes her choose the best place to protect the owner.
It is better to place the booth in a dry place and on a hill.
From his observation post, the dog should see the main part of the site.
Determination of building parameters
The size of the dog booth is of great importance. In a very spacious kennel it will be cold in winter, and in a cramped one. neither lie down nor turn around. Therefore, we will build a kennel based on the individual parameters of our dog.
For each dog it is better to make an individual “cut” booth. it is necessary to calculate the optimal dimensions
- The height of the booth is determined based on the growth of the animal at the withers with the addition of the thickness of the intended bedding and another 10-15 cm.The dog should move along the booth, tilting his head, and sit in it without touching the ceiling.
- The depth of the kennel should allow the animal to lie on its side with its legs extended. To determine this parameter, you need to put the dog and measure the distance from its withers to the tips of the front paws, add 10-15 cm.
- The width of the dwelling is the combined width of the dog’s vestibule and bed. The berth can be 10-15 cm wider than the distance from the dog’s nose to the base of its tail. The width of the vestibule is determined depending on the build of the dog. It should be comfortable for her to enter and exit the booth. Sometimes the vestibule is made more of a sleeping place, because here the dog can lie on its side in summer, and in winter it will rest on a sleeping place, curled up in a ball.
- The height of the opening for the entrance (manhole) is less than the height of the dog at the withers by 5-9 cm.
- The width of the hole should be 5-8 cm wider than the dog’s chest.
The scheme of the dog booth is needed after the owner has finally decided on the parameters of the future building. Having such a drawing, it will be easier to calculate the need for materials so as not to buy anything superfluous.
Do-it-yourself dog booth: building a frame insulated structure
Many in childhood dream of having a dog. But in a city apartment there is not enough space for her, but a country house gives the opportunity to finally make childhood dreams come true. It will be spacious enough even for a large dog. The dog that will live here will become not only a watchman and reliable guard of the site. He will be a true friend. The main merit of a dog is that it loves its owner as he is, without demanding a reward for his affection. But friendship presupposes mutual care and attention. A good owner will not leave his loyal dog without a comfortable home. A do-it-yourself dog booth is the surest way to take care of your friend.
Preparation of the necessary material
When deciding how to make a dog kennel, do not make life difficult for yourself and your faithful dog. It should proceed from his understanding of comfort, and not your boundless material possibilities. No need for stone palaces, artificial lighting and vinyl siding.
Particularly loving owners build whole castles for their pets
The animal will experience discomfort in such dwellings.
There should be no protruding knots or protruding chips on the surface of the tree.
Regular softwood is the best material for a dog house. It is the breathable wood that will be able to provide the air circulation necessary for the dog and, therefore, the microclimate it needs. The tree that makes up the base of the booth must first be prepared: clean it so that the animal does not injure itself and does not splinter its paws.
Note that the service life of coniferous wood is 7-8 years. After this period, it is necessary to check the structure for strength and replace the failed elements in time.
- bars of the following sizes (in mm): 100×100, 40×40, 100×50;
- decorative slats;
- roofing material;
- mineral wool or foam;
- bituminous tiles;
- galvanized nails;
- antiseptic impregnation of the “Senezh” type;
The inside of the booth does not need to be treated with antiseptics and other odorous substances. Remember that dogs have a finer sense of smell than humans. For us, an extraneous smell may be imperceptible, but it will torment and annoy the dog.
Dog kennel care
Now that we know how to build a dog house, all that remains is to figure out how to care for this home.
The ceiling can be made removable to be able to clean the booth and provide veterinary care to the animal
The kennel should be cleaned regularly: at least once a month. Disinfection of the booth should be carried out monthly in summer, and once a season in spring and winter. It is necessary to remove scraps, bones and other similar items, to process the booth from parasites with lysol, formalin or three percent creolin. Until the solutions dry, the dog should not enter the booth.
Drawings with the dimensions of the dog booth. 90 photos and a diagram of the assembly of the pet kennel
Any pet, even if it is not a prizewinner of dog shows, but just a house guard, needs a comfortable home. The kennel can be in any design, you can even make a copy of the master’s house. The dimensions of the booth should be adequate for the breed of the animal; for accurate planning, you need to make or find ready-made drawings of the booth for the dog.
Such a booth will also become a decoration of the yard.
The principle of calculating the size of the booth
All dogs are divided into three categories. The classification was based on the size of the animals at the withers. Average parameters of the kennel:
- French Bulldogs;
- fox terriers;
- bull terriers;
Собака Баскервилей 1 серия. Приключения Шерлока Холмса и доктора Ватсона. 1981 год
What is important for a dog house
You don’t need to be a dog breeder to understand the difference between a decorative indoor dog and a large watchdog.
There are subtleties that are important for both those and other animals:
- The dog should be comfortable and safe in the house. It should not be too cramped, at the same time, a lot of space will cause discomfort in the animal;
Dog booth: this is both home and kitchen
- A street booth should at least not spoil the local landscape; it should be convenient to clean up the room (for example, for a Chihuahua);
- The booth can be designed not for one, but for two or even three dogs. They are often placed in the yard. The structure must be permanent, protected from freezing and blowing by the wind;
Do-it-yourself dog booths. “multi-apartment” kennel
- It’s good when the dog can hide inside the booth and lie down at its entrance under the roof;
A small vestibule at the entrance will make the dog house the most comfortable
- The place for the kennel should be chosen wisely. If the watchdog, being in his house, he must see the protected area.
A stranger will not pass by the watchman
DIY dog booth. drawings
The table above shows the average values for the kennel format, but sometimes a mongrel puppy can grow into an unexpectedly large animal.
Kennel with an “exploited” pitched roof for a small dog The same, but with a gable roof
Therefore, the scheme for building a dog booth is calculated depending on the specific size of the dog at the withers. with a small margin so that it is not cramped.
Diagram of a dog booth with dimensions Drawing of a dog booth with dimensions. an option with a vestibule with a total length of a little more than 100 cm
Before selecting the material for the construction of the booth, you can choose an option from the ready-made drawings.
Drawing of a booth for a dog. a factory version Scheme of a house for a pug
The proportions of the building and its aesthetics require special attention.
The proportions of the kennel The scheme of the booth for a large-sized dog, with a canopy
Look in the finished drawing of a wooden dog kennel.
What can you build from
The most widespread and animal-friendly material is wood. In addition, his choice is very diverse. Exactly the same material can be used as for building a house for a person.
Flat-roof decking dog dwelling Brightly colored asymmetrical wooden structure pleasing to the eye
It can be logs, beams in the form of a log house or a frame sheathed with plywood or a board, and even parts from some old cabinet.
Kennel from lining block house Making a dog house from plywood
You can also use polymer wood, because WPC, compared to natural wood, lasts much longer.