Additional rules for walking the dog
Dogs that must be muzzled by law are allowed on public transport. But they keep them on a short leash. A separate ticket is issued for the dog.
It is better to take the last seats in the cabin so as not to disturb anyone. The owner must have a certificate from the veterinary clinic with him, certifying that the dog has received all the vaccinations and is absolutely healthy. In addition to the certificate, you also need a veterinary passport. It is advisable to move small dogs in a carrier or take them in your arms.
Attention! For walking in a place not intended for this, a fine is imposed, even if the pet walks wearing a muzzle.
The amount of the fine depends on the characteristics of the dog, its actions and the name of the public place where the owner went with it in violation of all the rules.
Why do you need a muzzle
A muzzle is a device worn on an animal’s face. In urban settings, it is most often put on a dog so that it:
- did not bite;
- did not lift various objects from the ground;
- did not sniff the soil or try to taste it.
The accessory prevents wide opening of the mouth, but does not impede breathing. A dog in a muzzle is easier to control, it is limited in its actions. If everything is fixed correctly, then nothing threatens the people around and the owner of the animal showing aggression.
Important! Muzzles are designed for safety, they do not cause significant inconvenience. Dog owners are legally required to wear protective gear, but they must not wear it all the time.
On a territory fenced off from strangers, even large fighting dogs can be without muzzles.
What dogs must be muzzled by law
Fighting and hunting dogs, whose aggressive behavior is determined by a genetic predisposition, by law cannot walk without a muzzle and a leash in any public place, regardless of whether the courtyard is high-rise buildings, an elevator or a sports ground.
Without restraining devices, the pet is kept only at home behind closed doors or a fence. over, if the owner of a private house owns a pit bull, an American bulldog, or any other large dog, then he must post a corresponding warning on the fence in an accessible place for viewing.
For reference! The rules for walking animals are stipulated in the Federal Law of the Russian Federation 98, amendments to it, adopted in 2019 and entered into force in January 2020.
The dog breeder is responsible for the actions of the dog. He can be fined and even convicted under a criminal article if the pet has caused serious harm to health or caused the death of a person.
12 breeds of dogs, as well as mestizos obtained from crossing with fighting dogs, were recognized as potentially dangerous in 2020. It:
- Brazilian Bulldogs;
- Alapakh purebred bulldogs;
- bully Kutta;
- pit bullmastiffs;
- wolf hybrids;
- North Caucasian dogs.
In total, the list of dogs for walking in a muzzle consists of 69 individuals, it includes, among other things, Argentinean mastiffs, forbidden almost all over the world for keeping, Caucasian shepherds and even dogs of the Akita Inu breed (“Hachiko”).
There is no exact list of dogs that must wear a muzzle, the rules of walking and keeping vary depending on the region. So, it can be a German shepherd, and in St. Petersburg. a mastiff.
List of dogs to be muzzled by law
Dog owners face restrictions on a regular basis. It is forbidden to walk the animal where you want, a muzzle and a leash are required. If it spoiled something or bit a person, another animal, the owner answers. This article will discuss which dogs should be muzzled by law, and which dogs can be walked without a muzzle.
How to walk a potentially dangerous dog
Important! A note must be attached to the dog’s collar with the owner’s name and address, telephone number for communication, and the dog’s nickname.
Where to complain about those who break the law
Complaints against citizens who have violated the law are accepted by:
- city or district administration;
- prosecutor’s office.
It is easy to determine the structure that will respond to the complainant and his request to correct the injustice. So, the local administration will accept a collective or single complaint against the owner of the dog:
- which regularly breaks the silence, preventing neighbors from sleeping with their barks;
- walking her on the playground or in the yard of the house;
- who does not use a muzzle and a leash when walking (information on what breeds of dogs can be walked without a muzzle is freely available);
- not cleaning up the dog.
The police are contacted if a dog has bitten someone, damaged property, caused a car accident or injury, belongs to the list of dogs prohibited from walking without a muzzle.
The prosecutor’s office is the last resort. They write a statement only if representatives of other authorities did not respond properly to the notification that the law was violated.
Important! To confirm the offense, it is necessary to record it with the help of photos and videos, attract the attention of witnesses, call the police or contact the nearest department on your own if the dog has caused serious damage to property or health.
With the owner of the dog, most likely, you will have to sue, proving your case. But if there is written and oral evidence, photo and video, then the court will side with the plaintiff. For example: citizen R.D. Lupanov goes every day to walk a big dog without a muzzle. He does this while drunk, usually in the early morning. A hungry dog howls under the windows, making it difficult for neighbors to sleep. People leaving early for work have more than once faced the fact that the dog angrily pounced on them and tried to bite. The owner did not respond to the neighbors’ request for a muzzle and a change in the dog’s walking distance. A collective complaint was drawn up to the district administration, and then to the court. The judge ordered Lupanov R.D. to pay a fine for violation of the order. His pet belongs to the list of dogs that must wear a muzzle, so the judge also fined the citizen for his absence.
Opinion about the law and criticism of dog breeders
The opinion of dog breeders about the law is divided, some for including a list of dangerous dogs in it, others believe that not all dogs are so dangerous that you cannot walk with them without a muzzle, even on special sites. Aggressive individuals are not specially bred. So, the Dogo Argentino is prohibited not just for cultivation by non-professionals, but also for breeding for the purpose of using it, for example, to guard the border, the needs of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and other structures.
Many dog handlers are inclined to believe that there are no dangerous dogs in Russia anymore. Any dog can become dangerous if not properly raised. Pedigree individuals showing excessive aggressiveness are immediately excluded from breeding, castrated. The law should be tightened on owners, not pets.
On the other hand, the bite of a Yorkshire terrier is just unpleasant, while the fangs of a pit bull can leave a permanent scar on the body.
The question of the degree of danger of a particular animal for humans and other living beings in Russia is trying to solve with the help of the Federal Law of the Russian Federation 98.Since 2020, it includes 12 breeds that pose a particular danger to others. The owner of such a dog is obliged to constantly drive him on a leash and in a muzzle.
Why does a puppy or an adult dog eat excrement. his own, other dogs and human feces, what he lacks and what to do?
Coprophagia is a common but unpleasant and therefore reluctantly discussed pet problem. Meanwhile, such behavior requires special attention from the owner, since it can be associated with both a lack of education and serious diseases of the digestive system. How to tell why your dog is eating stool and what to do about it?
From the point of view of physiology and psychology of dog behavior, coprophagia is undesirable, but not anomalous phenomenon. Often this is due to illness and an unfavorable psychological state (fear, anxiety, etc.) of the pet, but most often it is due to natural reasons. the desire to explore the world around us and other pets. When coprophagia requires correction of upbringing, and in what cases the help of a veterinarian is needed?
To protect their babies from the attack of enemies, mothers eat their feces. Over time, when the puppies grow up and begin to defend themselves, this habit disappears in mothers, but the puppies watching her may begin to behave in the same way. At the first such inclinations, you need to firmly, but without cruelty, immediately stop them before such behavior takes hold.
Why does a dog eat its own excrement? This is due to the instinctive fear of attack by other predators. The goal of the dog in this case is to cover up your tracks so that enemies do not find it by smell. Fecal eating can also be associated with a fear of punishment. If the dog has already been caught doing such an activity and severely punished, she will try to eat all her feces until the owner comes and scolds her.
- unbalanced diet (predominance of meat, bones or fatty foods in the diet);
- frequent feeding with dishes from the master’s table;
- lack of vitamins of groups B and K and trace elements such as sodium, calcium, phosphorus, nitrogen, potassium, etc.
Eating other people’s feces may indicate a lack of enzymes that provide food digestion. Often this behavior is observed in sick and malnourished animals. Do not be alarmed: perhaps this phenomenon is due to psychological reasons. If the pet eats baby stool, he is jealous of the baby. You need to immediately stop this and let the animal know that it is still loved. Otherwise, his feeling will develop into dislike, and he will attack the child. If the dog eats human feces, most likely he is bored and wants to attract the attention of the owners.
Why do dogs eat the feces of other pets? Most often this is due to the desire of the dog to declare its rights to the territory. Scattered excrement is perceived as enemy marks that must be destroyed. Less commonly, this behavior is associated with the same instinctive desire of the dog to protect its flock. in this case, dogs, cats and even hamsters living in the family.
It is required not only to identify the cause of eating bird feces and eliminate it, it is necessary to treat alkali poisoning, since fresh chicken droppings are very alkaline and cause burns of the mucous membranes of the digestive organs.
Coprophagia is by no means a disgusting prank of a pet, but behavior that is dangerous to its health. The excrement contains a huge amount of parasites, bacteria and infections. Eating them is fraught with the following diseases for the dog:
- Helminthiasis. The feces of sick animals contain eggs and larvae of worms. If parasites enter the body of a pet suffering from coprophagia, self-infection constantly occurs. If you do not wean the dog from this habit, it will die of exhaustion. To rid the dog of helminths, drugs of complex action are used. To prevent infection, deworming should be carried out every 2-3 months.
- Parvovirus. Parvovirus infection is highly contagious and affects the cardiovascular and digestive systems. It manifests itself in the form of refusal to eat, frequent vomiting, bloody diarrhea with a strong odor, etc. The course of the disease is complicated if the pet is simultaneously infected with helminths, is stressed or has a weakened immune system. Unvaccinated puppies are more susceptible to parvovirus than other dogs.
- Leptospirosis. This bacterial infection affects the cardiovascular and excretory systems, as well as the liver and brain of the animal. The disease is contagious to humans. The pathology is characterized by a subacute, acute and chronic course. The disease proceeds in hemorrhagic and icteric forms and manifests itself with symptoms such as fever, weakness, lethargy, refusal to eat, vomiting and urination with blood, etc.
- Toxoplasmosis. The disease is characterized by the destruction of healthy cells of internal organs by Toxoplasma. The acute form is manifested by such symptoms as refusal to eat, vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, purulent discharge from the nose, swollen lymph nodes, fever, paresis, paralysis, etc. Puppies from a sick dog are almost always born dead. If the disease is not treated, the internal organs fail and the pet dies. During the incubation period (the first few days after infection), a person can contract toxoplasmosis from a dog.
Of course, you can try to rid the pet of the desire to eat feces radically: by sprinkling feces with hot pepper, using special ultrasonic and electroshock collars, threatening shouts and even light slaps, but all this is ineffective. Most likely, the pet will become withdrawn and fearful, or, conversely, will begin to behave aggressively. To wean an animal from this habit, you need to follow these rules:
- Maintain cleanliness of home and walking area. The feces of small children and pets should be removed immediately. Particular attention should be paid to the habitat of the whelping dog and its offspring, so that the puppies do not develop the wrong model of behavior due to their mother eating feces. If the dog lives in an enclosure and moves freely around the site, it is necessary to protect the habitat of livestock and poultry so that the dog does not have the temptation to eat chicken droppings and similar “delicacies”.
- Provide your dog with a balanced diet. Pets should be fed with premium and super premium dry food and canned food. With natural feeding, animals, in addition to meat, cereals and vegetables, should eat offal and beef tripe. a part of the cow’s stomach, enriched with nutrients and enzymes. If necessary, you need to give pets vitamin and mineral complexes, enzyme preparations and probiotics selected by a veterinarian.
- Surround your dog with attention and care. You need to regularly engage the dog with games so that he does not get bored. When the dog is left alone, you need to provide it with favorite toys, and walk with it in the evening. During walks, it is necessary to train the dog, constantly learning new commands and reinforcing old ones. To prevent the dog from picking up various objects on the street and at home, first of all, you need to teach him the commands “Fu!” and “no!” If this does not help, you can throw a small object in his direction (but by no means at him!). For the completed command, the animal must be praised.
When faced with such an unpleasant phenomenon as coprophagia, it is important to be patient and not express aggression. It is unacceptable to scream, poke a dog’s nose in feces, and even more assault. It is necessary to find out the reason for this behavior in order to determine an action plan: adjust the diet, pay more attention to the pet, treat the pet from worms, etc.
Eating feces by a pet, either of its own, feline or human, causes the owner to feel disgust and disgust. Weaning a dog from eating excrement is extremely important not only from the point of view of aesthetics, but also to prevent various diseases that a pet can pick up as a result of coprophagia.
A large number of infectious diseases of viral etiology can be transmitted from sick animals to healthy ones through feces. feces and urine. In addition to helminthiases (infections with helminthic infestations), eating excrement can cause parvovirus enteritis. The causative agent of this type of disease is able to maintain its virulence for 12 months in feces.
An equally dangerous disease for both pets and their owners is leptospirosis and toxoplasmosis, which can affect the central nervous system of animals. But before you start fixing the problem, you must first of all understand the reasons that prompted the four-legged pet to do this.
Veterinarians and scientists still do not know the exact reasons that can induce an animal to eat feces. But there are a number of factors that contribute to a behavioral problem.
- Imitation. In frequent cases, young puppies start eating feces in an effort to imitate their mother’s behavior. It is so laid down by nature that a whelping female for a whole month after the birth of offspring destroys the waste products of her puppies. It is likely that babies mimic their mother by picking up their own and other feces.
Remember! Without eliminating this behavior in a timely manner, it becomes a habit and is very difficult to correct.
- Instincts. The animal destroys the products of its vital activity, proceeding from its natural instincts, laid down by nature in order to destroy the smell and cover its tracks. Fear associated with a possible attack on the pet itself or on the owner of the animal.
- Uncertainty. There is a hypothesis that the dog begins to pick up and eat excrement on the street due to uncertainty. The animal destroys other people’s marks, leaving its own. This is due to the lack of a sense of leadership in their territory.
- Severe lack of attention from the owner. Dogs cannot speak, so they show their emotional state by actions. The dog begins to bark or whine loudly when it demands attention. The same applies to eating feces on the street. after all, the owner will definitely start scolding him for such behavior, and will pay attention.
- Diet disorders. Unbalanced and improperly composed monotonous diet. The dog instinctively tries to replenish the reserves of microelements, minerals and vitamins missing in the body. The cause of the violation is excessive overfeeding, a mixed diet (ready-made and natural foods), feeding a dog with only meat, an excess of treats, feeding fatty, salty foods and bones.
- Diseases of the digestive system. Potential gastrointestinal problems may cause an adult dog to eat its own feces. The reasons may be helminthic invasions, infectious processes of the digestive tract.
- Lack of proper upbringing. A completely healthy dog in physical terms, with a properly balanced diet, can eat feces. To correct this behavior, you need to seek help from specialists. cynologists who will help eliminate the problem.
By acting comprehensively, the owner will be able to better understand his pet and wean him from the bad habit. To do this, you will have to radically reconsider your relationship with the dog:
- change the diet;
- use more game moments;
- sign up for training courses.
This will make your pet’s life more interesting and fulfilling. Depending on the cause that led to the violation in the behavior of the dog, the method of elimination will vary.
When the first cases of coprophagia appear, you need to show your pet to a veterinarian. This is necessary to exclude possible pathological processes in the body that provoke the development of the desire to eat the feces of their relatives.
Important! The lack of protein components and B vitamins forces animals to look for sources in other foods, and often they become human waste products.
Small puppies begin to eat excrement due to a lack of enzymes and minerals. When puppies eat feces, the necessary microflora is created in the intestinal tract. It is necessary to pay serious attention to the diet. It is much more difficult to wean an adult dog from eating excrement than a small puppy. Nevertheless, zoopsychologists have proven that there is a fact of coprophagia with fear of punishment.
If a small puppy is constantly punished for committing a “dirty” deed, then in most cases he develops a reflex to eat his own waste products in order to avoid punishment. This problem is complex, so its eradication should also consist of several stages.
An important role in eliminating the problem is played by the correct education and training of forbidding commands. “No!”, “Fu!”. Even if the dog very quickly remembers what can and cannot be done, the owner should not lose vigilance and train the pet daily. In extreme cases, you can muzzle the dog for a walk, which will prevent the dog from picking up garbage and feces.
Problems caused by the lack of mineral components in food take an unusually long time to correct. This is why it is important to keep your dog on a leash at all times when walking with your dog. It is necessary to entertain the animal as much as possible with various games and physical exercises for training.
It is not recommended to leave the dog unattended for a single minute. You can occupy the mouth of an animal with your favorite toy and forbid it to be released without the permission of the owner. Professional trainers recommend attracting her attention with treats and toys. As soon as during a walk the dog is defecated, it is immediately necessary to distract its attention with a command, after execution it is necessary to praise the dog and, without waiting for it to change its mind, take it away from that place.
Having noticed that the pet is eating its own or other feces, it is not recommended to persuade, chase the dog or call it loudly. Cynologists advise you to just go up to the dog, clearly and loudly say the command “No!” You can add a loud and sharp sound to the command (clap your hands), and then take the animal away from the scene of the “crime”.
Cynologists abroad have come up with the idea of adding monosodium glutamate or pancreatic enzymes to the animal’s food. This allows you to change the taste of feces and the animal is disgusted to touch them.
If an adult dog is inclined to eat its own excrement, laxatives can be added to food, because there is an opinion that animals do not eat liquid stool. But only after consultation with a specialist.
It is not uncommon for dog owners to encounter a problem when a pet seeks out and eats only cat feces. This behavior is due to the fact that cat food is rich in proteins, unlike dog food. This is not surprising, because a large amount of protein is dangerous and harmful to the dog’s body. Increased protein leads to the development of pathological processes in the renal structures.
If your dog eats feces from a cat that shares an apartment with it, it is recommended to place the litter box out of reach of the dog. Otherwise, the dog with cat feces will eat the litter box.
As a result, acute intestinal obstruction may develop. Treatment of such a problem involves only surgery. Getting used to eating feces at home, she will continue to do it in other places.
The owner himself must exclude possible temptations for the animal by timely cleaning up the feces left by the dog in the living area. If the dog walks in the yard, then it is necessary to remove feces from the area. If the pet stays alone in the apartment for a long time, it is recommended to provide his leisure time with a sufficient number of toys.
Note! It is not recommended to punish and scold your pet for the puddles and heaps that the dog leaves during the absence of the owner. It makes no sense to punish physically. What’s more, it can exacerbate behavioral problems.
Punishing a dog for a fault, a person believes that the dog understands everything. In fact, poking a dog into its own excrement leads to partial or complete loss of scent. In addition, in fear of punishment, the dog will get rid of excrement on its own. If a dog eats human, cat or his own excrement, this does not mean at all that it is a bad dog. Wanting to explore the world around them, dogs taste and sniff everything.
The dog is not to blame for following his instincts, laid down by nature. The main task of the owner is to wean from the habit gradually, without applying physical punishment and radical measures.
Dog owners are often faced with the phenomenon of coprophagia. eating feces. The reasons why shaggy pets do this vary, from ordinary boredom to serious illnesses such as diabetes.
Therefore, no matter how disgusting this topic is, it is worth knowing the reasons for the phenomenon and what measures should be taken.
The following medical reasons for eating feces should be considered first.
- Enzyme deficiency. In the wild, a dog’s diet is in harmony with its environment. When she eats prey, she eats all the prey, including the intestines, which contain the required amount of digestive enzymes. A pet’s nutrition is significantly different. Digestive enzymes are a key component of the digestive process, and without them, food is not completely absorbed. To solve this problem, dogs create enzymes in the body, but they are not enough to effectively complete the digestion process. Therefore, it is necessary to obtain them from food. If there is a deficiency, dogs may not only get sick, but also begin to feel the need for feces, which they just got rid of, because they are full of necessary substances.
- Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency is a condition in which a dog produces little or no digestive enzymes in the pancreas. Without the addition of enzymes to food, the pet will starve, lose weight, and diarrhea will appear. Will end up eating feces in an attempt to get some much needed nutrients.
- Parasites: Intestinal parasites may be another reason your dog craves bowel movements.
- Conditions causing increased appetite. Certain medical conditions, such as diabetes and thyroid problems, increase appetite by encouraging bowel movements.
- Hydrochloric acid deficiency, which can occur with age or due to improper diet. It leads to poor digestion, which in turn can prompt you to look for nutrients in your stool.
- Malabsorption is a condition that results in poor absorption of nutrients. Which, in turn, can lead to eating stools.
- Malnutrition. If your pet is losing weight on a fresh, whole diet, feed more is worth it! And you must definitely adhere to the diet. After all, a hungry dog will look for other food sources.
If medical reasons are ruled out, then there are most likely behavioral reasons.
- Pursuit of purity. In dogs, it is normal for the female to eat the puppies’ stool to clean the area where they live. This desire for cleanliness can also be the reason for other animals that “remove” stool.
- Early age. As they grow older, the puppy becomes interested in the world around him, and may taste feces as part of the exploration process. It goes away with age.
- Garbage cravings. Dogs are natural scavengers who are attracted to scent. The smell of feces does not repel them. And if the opportunity presents itself to try feces, they can just take advantage of it.
- Boredom. If the pet is at home alone all day and has nothing to do, and such an “interesting thing” appears within reach, he can just for fun try feces.
- To attract attention. Dogs love their owners and want their attention. If they feel unnecessary, they may even try to attract attention in this way.
- Stress. A dog in a moment of stress, for example, if left alone in someone else’s house or kennel, may eat stool.
- Punishment. Pets who are punished for defecating in the home may think feces are bad and eat up evidence.
- A bad example is contagious. A puppy can learn to eat feces from an older dog.
So, there are many reasons why a dog becomes an avid fecal connoisseur. What should be done to eliminate this behavior?
- It is necessary to keep the place where the dog lives clean. Clean up your bowel movements right away so you won’t be tempted to try them.
- You should actively spend time with your pet: play, train, give plenty of fun. An exhausted dog will not be bored and drawn to entertainments such as feces.
- Make sure your pet eats raw, whole, varied foods with quality proteins. Raw food contains the digestive enzymes needed to process food. If fed only cooked food, then digestive enzymes should be added.
- In case of micronutrient deficiencies, a little algae can be added. And in case of hydrochloric acid deficiency, try adding apple cider vinegar to your food, which can help mimic the missing acid and help the body compensate for the deficiency.
- Check your dog’s stool regularly for parasites.
- Avoid being punished to avoid stressing your pet.
Obviously, the act of eating feces has many causes. If a dog is eating his own stool, a medical reason should be sought. And, if there are no such problems, then make sure that the habitat is clean, the dog is busy with physical activity and is well fed.
Baskerville vs soft muzzles
Additionally, check out a quick video on why dogs eat their feces:
A dog eats feces. this is not only an unpleasant habit, but also a real threat to health. Billions of bacteria, protozoa and parasites, which cause serious harm to health, enter the animal’s body with feces. Why does a pet eat feces and is it possible to fight it?
Coprophagia is the phenomenon of eating feces. our own, human, feline, etc. According to statistics, this deviation affects up to 16% of dogs, eating excrement constantly and up to 80%, doing it from time to time. At the same time, neuter bitches and males are more susceptible to this gesture. There is only one breed of dog in the world that is extremely rarely engaged in such a thing. these are dwarf poodles (males of this species almost never do this). All others are in danger because of everything harmful that can enter the dog’s body with feces.
- intestinal parasites (helminths). helminthiases often lead to the death of a pet, because large accumulations of parasites not only clog the internal organs, but also provoke their rupture;
- parvovirosis (viral infection. parvovirus enteritis). one of the deadly and severe infections that most often affect young individuals;
- leptospirosis (jaundice). with this disease, the liver is affected, it is very difficult for young and elderly dogs, death can occur 12 hours after the animal has become infected;
- toxoplasmosis (a serious disease transmitted to humans too). is difficult for individuals over 7-8 years old. Sometimes even treatment does not help. immunity is weakened, and the fight against infection becomes impossible.
A dog’s habit of sniffing rather than eating feces is not bad or abnormal. The animal, by the smell and heat emanating from the excrement, determines how long ago its brother passed here and distinguishes whether it was a dog or a bitch. If a bitch, then by the smell of feces, the dog determines whether she is in heat (whether it is worth pursuing her instinctively) or is already pregnant.
During the month, the bitch eats the excrement of her puppies. Gradually, with the introduction of complementary foods, the shape and composition of the feces changes, and the bitch stops eating it, sometimes eating separate heaps. Puppies can just follow mom. If this behavior is not stopped, puppies will continue to eat their feces as adults.
This cause of coprophagia is suitable for small puppies who pull everything into their mouths, including feces. Thus, they learn about the world around them.
Instinctively, wild dogs eat manure to improve their own gastric digestion, which contains special enzymes and beneficial bacteria that help break down heavy foods and improve digestion. Domestic dogs eat cat feces, human feces, or bird droppings on an instinctive basis. In the conditions of the city, there is no manure, so the pet is literally looking for an alternative.
Coprophagia against the background of improper nutrition may appear due to:
- preferential feeding of cereals;
- feeding only with meat;
- feeding fatty foods, too salty or bones;
- cheap ready-made feed;
- overfeeding and bloating;
- unbalanced diet;
- an excess of treats that are not suitable for the dog (for example, confectionery);
- inappropriate mixing of raw feed products with ready-made.
The animal is not able to say that it is in pain or discomfort in something. Often, the symptoms of the disease appear already when the disease has developed and has already caused serious harm to the body. Chronic pathologies in the gastrointestinal tract are accompanied by flatulence, problems with emptying the rectum, feelings of heaviness and other uncomfortable sensations. This also includes problems in the functioning of the pancreas and various kinds of infections. By eating feces, the dog tries to help itself. That is, having noticed the act of absorbing any feces, first of all it is worth consulting with a veterinarian.
With severe hunger, the animal will eat absolutely everything, even remotely resembling something that can be eaten.
Sometimes, eating his own or someone else’s feces, a family friend does not think about punishment, he expects a reaction from the owner. Swearing is often perceived by the pet as additional attention. This opinion is very controversial, but some zoopsychologists argue that this may well be.
Faeces are perceived by animals as a kind of territory marker. Very often, when there are mustachioed pets in the house, the dog begins to eat the feces of the cat / cat in the house, literally freeing its territory from foreign smell and fecal marks.
Before starting to correct the situation, it is recommended to seek advice from a veterinarian. It is possible that coprophagia is triggered by internal health disorders, and not by a commonplace habit. It is necessary to pass the biochemistry of blood and urine, to analyze the feces for the quality of digestion of food and helminths, to do an ultrasound. Only in the absence of internal diseases or infections can you begin the process of weaning from the dog’s habit of eating his feces.
- Review the diet and consult with your veterinarian if feeding is carried out correctly. Start giving beef tripe (unpeeled, black). it contains many enzymes that your dog needs to digest and help digest fiber. Purchase vitamin and mineral complexes with the obligatory m in them of B vitamins and sulfur. Introduce meat and bone meal into the diet, and replace dry food with premium or super premium class.
- While walking, give your pet maximum attention: playing, training, repeating commands, running, hugging or talking. Try any of the suggested options every time you notice that the dog is about to eat the faeces it finds. Pull up the leash lightly and say “phew”, off the leash. loudly shout “phew”, approach him and distract him. But you should not hug the animal and allow it to come close to your face if you did not manage to stop the unpleasant moment of absorbing excrement!
- If you notice that the puppies have begun to eat their bowel movements, you need to monitor their emptying for some time and immediately clean them up to discourage the temptation to try the bowel movements out of curiosity or repeat after mom.
- In parallel with the correction of behavior, it is imperative to visit a specialist and check the health of the pet, pass the proposed tests. If abnormalities are found, treatment should be carried out as soon as possible.
- It is not recommended to shout and punish for eating pet feces. this will not help in solving the problem, but it can significantly spoil the relationship with him. Shouting and punishment can lead the situation to a dead end, when the animal will do it, hiding. It is important to develop a habit of not doing this, rather than trying to force.
- To develop a habit of not eating your feces, after emptying on the street, call your pet to you and give any treat. Try to do this every time your dog goes to the bathroom. After a week and a half, replace the treat with hugs and sudden play with your favorite toy. All this will distract the pet from the unpleasant action.
- You can ask an experienced dog handler for help so that he can teach the dog not to pick up anything on the street at all.
- During treatment or a change in diet, it may be necessary for the dog to wear a muzzle during a walk so that the impossibility of eating feces is brought to automaticity.
- Spend as much time as possible with your pet if you suspect that eating the excrement found is a gesture to attract attention.
Often, a pet begins to eat feces when it lacks nutrients from the feed provided by its owners. It is necessary to revise the dog’s diet, consult with a specialist and make adjustments to it. During the transfer of the dog to a new diet, eating feces will have to be stopped (for example, putting on a muzzle for a walk).
The smell of any excrement is recognized by animals as marking the territory. Dogs can easily eat the feces of a cat that lives with them in the same house, out of jealousy. Thus, the territory is cleared of the “presence of a competitor.” At the level of zoopsychology, such a gesture is quite natural.
You cannot immediately start scolding the dog for the fact that she began to eat feces. If a similar act was noticed, contact your veterinarian, excluding internal diseases, and then just start weaning from such behavior.
The appearance of a child in the family can provoke a feeling of jealousy in a pet. Eating children’s feces, the animal cleans the territory of foreign smell, leaving the ownership of the territory for itself. At the same time, a violation of his nutrition, a lack of nutrients or internal diseases should be excluded. Try to clean up the potty after the child in a timely manner in order to exclude the temptation for the pet and not to bring a single gesture into a habit.
Many dog breeders are faced with the problem of pets eating their own or other people’s excrement. This is a fairly common phenomenon. In a professional environment, it is called coprophagia. Eating digestive waste can indicate both behavioral abnormalities and health problems.
Yes, and unaesthetic, unpleasant when a pet eats poop. Why does a dog eat excrement? How to deal with this “disease”? Is it dangerous for the pet? Perhaps, with the answer to this question, we will begin our consideration of this problem. Perhaps the health of the dog is at stake
Systematic eating of feces by a dog is a problem that needs to be corrected.
Firstly, such a craving for poop is unpleasant for the owner and others from an aesthetic point of view. Do not forget that we are talking about a pet that communicates with people on a daily basis.
Secondly, amateurs are prone to various diseases. In the feces of animals and birds, parasites, viruses, infections can live. And all this is eaten by a pet. Systematic poisoning with protozoa, helminths, leptospirosis, parvovirosis and other infections harms the dog’s health. Even a timely vaccination will not help.
Fecal cravings are attributed to three groups of causes.
Group I. completely natural causes inherent in canine nature:
This is how bitches behave next to newborn puppies: the mother maintains cleanliness around the cubs, and therefore eats the excrement of the brood. The lack of such behavior is considered a problem.
Eating poop is based on instinct. It is known that wolves and coyotes, the distant ancestors of dogs, ate excrement to knock off the trail. Or in case of food shortages. Perhaps an instinctive sense of danger or lack of food makes pets eat feces. Strong hunting instinct can also be the cause of this behavioral response.
Many of the dog’s behavioral responses are genetically explained. So, a well-fed pet seeks to hide the found bone. The pursuit instinct forces the dog to catch up with a moving object. Dogs stick together due to procreation instinct.
The pet lacks attention, he is bored, he has nothing to do. They took the dog outside. and sat on a bench. And what is the dog to do? So she begins to rush about stupidly, picking up all sorts of rubbish from the ground. Grabbed a piece of shit. the owner began to swear and run after it. Something but entertainment.
The dog is afraid of punishment. Perhaps she was severely scolded or beaten for the piles on the floor. As a result, abnormal cleanliness developed. The dog clearly understood that a person, seeing a kaku, begins to fight-swear.
Sniffing excrement from other dogs is not a behavioral disorder. The smell of feces for a dog is source of information. By stool, a dog can find out the sex of another dog; to establish how long she was here, how dangerous she is (if the excrement belongs to the male), how soon the estrus will begin (if it was a female). Even the emotional state can be determined by the smell of feces.
Your dog’s diet lacks vitamins and minerals.
There are problems with feed digestibility. Food is not completely digested, and therefore feces contain enough nutrients and taste and smell like food.
The habit of eating feces may be associated with an instinctive urge to fall. And the manure of herbivores is nutritious for dogs. It contains enzymes and substances that activate digestion. Lack of digestive enzymes can be the reason for eating animal excrement.
Toddler behavior is still in its infancy. Many of their actions are explained by the desire to be like adults, to play, to please the owner, or curiosity. The puppy may eat its own feces for the following reasons:
imitates the mother who cleans up after him in the “nest”, or the owner cleans up after the puppy;
enjoys looking for his own droppings and tasting it (the baby may like the taste of excrement, the special reaction of a person to the search process);
the puppy’s diet lacks digestive enzymes.
The main rules of any training are to patiently repeat the same actions, reward for good behavior, do not yell or punish the dog physically.
Show your pet to the veterinarian to rule out diseases of the digestive tract.
Revise the dog’s diet, change its feeding regime, introduce digestive enzymes into the menu.
Keep the pet’s place of residence clean, immediately remove the dog’s excrement.
Walking the dog more often, engaging it in games and exercise.
Train your dog to immediately respond to forbidding commands.
Walk in a muzzle that prevents picking up objects on the street.
Distract the dog from the feces scattered on the street (clap, shout, call, but do not run after it or catch it).
Never hit your dog for heaps on the floor, do not poke his muzzle into puddles. If the pet does not ask to go outside, the owner is to blame, not the animal.
Coprophagia, that is, an appetite for other people’s excrement, affects almost all breeds of dogs, with the exception of dwarf poodles. This is such a widespread phenomenon that many owners regard it as almost a variant of the norm. However, the popularity of this habit does not mean that the pet should not be weaned from it. On the contrary, this should be done the sooner the better, because the health of the pet is at risk.
There is nothing abnormal in the interest in other people’s groups, on the contrary, it is a completely natural phenomenon. Thus, the dogs study each other. whether the person who left this group belongs to the male or the female, whether he is in a state of sexual prey and whether it makes sense to pursue him. Also during the first month after giving birth, the bitch eats the feces of her babies. When the food of the puppies becomes more varied, the mother ceases to “freak out”. It is unpleasant that the cubs, in which the instinct of copying the behavior of their parents is embedded, often begin to repeat after the mother and the owner has to wean them from such behavior.
Tasting other people’s poop, dogs study each other
So why do dogs often show such exotic culinary preferences, to put it mildly??
This behavior is typical for suckers, they thus study the world and everything that surrounds them. Any child tends to pull what he sees in his mouth, puppies do the same.
If a dog’s diet lacks enzymes, instinct tells them where to get it. Feces of their own kind are one such source. Manure is especially rich in enzymes and beneficial bacteria that improve digestion, but if it is not there, dogs are ready for any ersatz. heaps of their fellows, cats and even birds. It is useless to scold and beat a dog for this: instinct is instinct and if the pet’s diet is inadequate, the animal will look for ways out of the situation provided by nature.
It is worth mentioning separately here which diet is still considered wrong. According to veterinarians, a dog eats unbalanced, if mainly its menu consists of:
- cheap dog food;
- food rich in salt or spices;
Also, some “caring” owners still come up with ideas that the more you feed the dog, the better it is, or that, in order to save money, you can mix the ready-made food with raw meat.
An approximate feeding scheme for a large breed puppy
A person is endowed with the ability to speak, he can go to the doctor, say what worries him, where he hurts and get adequate treatment. Animals are deprived of such an opportunity. Sometimes symptoms appear already at a serious stage, when significant harm has been done to health. Flatulence, problems with stools, abdominal pain, discomfort, nausea, vomiting, and bloating are considered warning signs. The instinct of the dog calls for all these symptoms to be drowned out by the search for beneficial bacteria, and they can only be found in the feces. That is why, having noticed such a feature for a pet, you should not postpone a visit to a veterinary clinic.
If the dog has nothing to eat, it will not disdain anything more or less edible and saturated with vitamins, just as people eat copalchem with cadaveric poisons in the tundra. Therefore, this behavior in street dogs should not be surprised.
Very often, a dog can even eat expensive food and not experience health problems, just a person pays too little attention to it. Then the pet resorts to everything that can cause a rich, emotional reaction from the owner. Almost always the dog is aware that for eating heaps it will be scolded, punished, because whenever she showed interest in them, the owner was angry. Thus, according to zoopsychologists, she can resort to this method in order to get at least some emotional contribution from a two-legged friend.
Very often, the reasons for eating feces in a dog are rooted in psychology. If there is another dog or even a cat in the house, the dog, who considers himself to be deprived of attention, begins to eat heaps. Eating someone else’s feces, he thus eliminates the smell and “marking” of someone else’s territory. If he eats his own. the reason is either in health, or in this way the dog asks to pay attention to it.
Jealousy of other animals can lead to eating feces.
As already mentioned, the dog may be unhappy with the presence of other animals in the apartment, in particular. cats and cats. Most often this happens when the new “passenger” and the existing inhabitants of the house were not properly introduced, they were not given the opportunity to adapt. Thus, the dog will eliminate the stranger from his territory, his fecal marks.
If you notice that your dog is feeding in a litter box, you should definitely show it to your veterinarian.
Important! Unfortunately, the habit of eating someone else’s feces is so ingrained in many dogs that the individual will not give it up voluntarily. In no case should a pet be punished and admonished, he simply will not understand, since any animal is driven primarily by instincts. The issue can be resolved quickly and without unnecessary nervous costs, putting on a muzzle and a leash on a four-legged friend before a walk. Even if this measure did not turn out to be effective, you should contact professional dog handlers and trainers.
So, it is clear that exhorting an animal and punishing it like a preschooler is useless. If the dog is worried about something, he will solve the problem, as nature prompts. Therefore, it is necessary first of all to exclude the causes of a medical nature. You should pass tests of urine and feces, blood, do an ultrasound examination. It is possible that the doctor will tell you to reconsider the pet’s diet. Only after making sure that the reason for the dog’s exotic culinary addictions lies not in health, you can contact the dog handler.
So, the algorithm of actions for weaning a dog from eating feces is as follows:
- contacting the veterinary center, examination;
- a change in diet, the introduction of vitamin and mineral supplements (vitamin B and sulfur are required);
- the manifestation of greater tolerance to the pet, patience. after all, that’s why you got a dog in order to make it happy;
- if there are several animals in the house, take this moment into account and pay more attention to the dog than before;
- distraction from feces by “Fu” commands, by diversion from “targets”;
- immediately clean up waste for your pet on walks;
- after each trip to the toilet, reward your pet with a treat or favorite toy;
- contact a professional.
Important! If, nevertheless, it was not possible to stop the “fun” in time, never bring your face closer to the dog’s muzzle and hair. this can threaten with serious infection.
The appearance of a new family member often makes four-legged jealous. Eating baby feces from a pot is one of the manifestations of such jealousy. You should never stop this through punishment, shouting, swearing. on the contrary, you should show the dog that you care about it and love it no less than before. And of course, it is imperative to bring it to the vet. the reason for eating human feces may have the same roots as the interest in the heaps left by their own kind. And after the child, you need to immediately pour out the pot as soon as he went to the toilet, so as not to bring the action of the dog into a habit.
After the child, you must immediately remove the pot
By consuming bowel movements regularly, dogs run the risk of contracting:
How & Why EVERY DOG Should LOVE Wearing a MUZZLE
- Worms. Infection with helminths is fraught with many problems with digestion, metabolism and even death.
- Parvovirus enteritis. especially in young dogs, the infection is severe and the likelihood of death is high.
- Leptospirosis (the liver takes the brunt, often the dog dies in the first day after infection). Especially dangerous for teenage puppies and older dogs.
- Toxoplasmosis (the disease is difficult, always has a serious prognosis and is dangerous, including for humans). Sometimes the body is unable to fight the infection due to too low immunity, and the dog dies.
So, undoubtedly, the first thing to do when a dog is systematically eating someone’s feces is to call the veterinary clinic and make an appointment with the doctor.
A dog is not a person; he has no concept of conscience or self-awareness. So she will behave well in exactly one case. if nothing bothers her, neither in her own body, nor on the territory, nor in the house, nor in communication with other creatures. If there are problems, then the dog will do what it can do. eat feces for the sake of enzymes or microelements, thus achieve the elimination of foreign marks from its possessions, and attract the attention of the owner who, in her opinion, is too cold. And in general, swearing and punishment are unreliable methods, it’s not for nothing that our ancestors have come up with a proverb that you can’t go far with a whip.
Not all pet owners know why a dog eats feces. The animal consumes feces for a number of reasons, which will be discussed below. When the pet owner noticed that the dog often eats his feces or other pet, you need to contact your veterinarian for advice. In most cases, the dog eats feces due to lack of vitamins, due to an unbalanced diet.
During the month, the bitch eats the waste of her own children. Puppies often repeat the steps after their mother. Therefore, adult dogs also begin to eat their feces.
This circumstance of coprophagia will suit small puppies who taste everything. This is how puppies get to know the environment.
Wild dogs absorbed manure and bird droppings to improve the work of gastric digestion. It includes special enzymes and the right bacteria. Domestic dogs eat cat feces, human excrement, on an intuitive level. Consider what’s missing if your dog eats feces.
The habit appears due to improper nutrition:
- Most of the food is porridge;
- The menu includes only meat products;
- Food is too salty or only bones are on the menu;
- Poor quality feed;
- The owner gives the dog too much food;
- Food without vitamins and minerals;
- The menu is dominated by sweets;
- Incorrect mixing of raw food with ready-made.
What vitamins are needed if a dog eats feces? The menu should include vitamins of category B.
The dog cannot explain what worries him and what hurts him. Therefore, animals often end up in the clinic with illnesses in a neglected form. Prolonged pathologies of the functions of the digestive tract are characterized by bloating, difficulty in emptying. Eating feces, the dog seeks to recover. So, when the owner noticed that the dog is eating his feces, you should immediately seek advice from the veterinarian.
When a dog is very hungry, it will eat everything. The owner does not pay enough attention to the dog
When a dog eats stool, he thus wants to get attention from the owner. The quarrel is often taken as attention by the pupil. This position is highly controversial, but certain zoopsychologists claim that this behavior is common.
When there are pets in the house besides the dog, the animal regards this as competition. For example, a dog can eat the feces of a cat or a cat. For animals, feces are a mark of territory, so the dog is worried that the owners will have a cat in the first place.
The feces that have entered the body are fraught with danger for the dog’s well-being:
- Infection with intestinal parasites. This disease often becomes the fault of the death of a pet. A huge accumulation of helminths affects organs, leading to their rupture;
- Toxoplasmosis. A very dangerous disease. Dogs tolerate it hard, especially animals aged eight years. The animal’s immunity is weak, so it cannot resist infection. As a result, therapy will not help either;
- Liver damage (jaundice). When infected with a disease, the animal can die as soon as possible. 12 hours after the infection enters the body. Pathology is very difficult for both puppies and adult animals;
- The viral infection is parvovirosis. This is a dangerous infectious disease. an acute gastrointestinal disorder.
What if the dog eats his feces? It takes a lot of time and effort to stop an animal from eating its own waste.
Of course, the dog needs to be taught specific commands. It is important that training is carried out at an early age. Any commands are quickly memorized by the dog at an early age. In addition, the puppy is still amenable to training, training.
The dog must follow simple and understandable commands “fu”, “no” and “beside”. The first two commands “fu” and “no” must be learned by every dog. The commands will help to wean the dog from picking up other people’s objects on the street:
- The owner of the dog must stand in front of the pet;
- You need to take a toy or treat in your hand. If the dog tries to take a treat / toy, you need to say the command “fu” or “no”. The hand must be squeezed so that the animal sees that it will not receive a treat or a toy;
- When the dog is not listening, it is necessary to show that his actions are inappropriate. For example, you can scold him, but not beat him. As practical activity demonstrates, the animal will be able to learn the lesson if you repeat the command several times a day.
Only when the dog walks with the owner on a leash will the breeder have a chance to control the dog. When the dog is still eating its waste, try using a muzzle. The dog goes to the toilet, but will not be able to eat stool.
When there is no muzzle, try to distract your pet. For example, throw a stick or toy to the dog. If the dog turns his attention to the toy, then there is already progress. Play the dog and he will forget about eating feces.
The breeders themselves recommend switching the dog’s attention in this way. You, as the owner, have a responsibility to offer the pupil something more fun than this malicious manner.
Keep in mind that for a dog, in addition to a balanced diet, active rest is important. Therefore, walk with your pet more often and pay more attention to it. If the dog is constantly busy with something, then it will not have time for such a bad habit as eating feces. In addition, during a walk, the dog can walk up to its fullest, and will forget about this habit.
When you try to punish an animal, you need to be more careful, as the dog can regard this as a sign of attention. So, the dog will eat feces on purpose to get your attention.
When the purchased funds have not yielded results, then you can try the option with the addition of mustard, or you can take pepper. The excrement should be treated with the selected ingredient. Naturally, this taste will not be to the liking of the animal and is likely to cause disgust. This option can solve the problem of a dog eating feces. You can also use commands to train your dog at home.
Before training or drastically changing the diet, you should consult your veterinarian. Your veterinarian will be able to help you determine the reason why your dog is constantly eating feces or other pet. In any case, veterinarian advice is important. Veterinarians advise to be patient to wean the dog from this habit.
When the bitch has puppies, it is necessary to worry about the prompt cleaning of the area of their residence, so that by her action the mother does not teach the puppies, she has her own excrement.
If dry food is considered the main food of the dog, then you need to take care that liquid food is also included in the diet. It is important that the animal’s menu always contains vitamins.
Sometimes the muzzle doesn’t help. When the pet does not absorb the feces, then at least it falls in plenty of them. After such games, the owner will have to wash his pet for a long time. As instructed by the veterinarian, pancreatic enzymes and probiotics can be added to the pet’s menu, which will renew the microflora of the intestinal tract.
It is necessary to spend more time with the dog. to eliminate boredom. Directly out of anguish, dogs do strange things. Make sure the animal has a lot of toys. Monitor your diet to ensure you always have a balanced, nutritious meal.
During the training period, the main thing is to show maximum care and perseverance. You should not punish the dog during training. Also, most owners, trying to quickly wean the dog from eating feces, begin to poke his muzzle into the excrement. Don’t do this under any circumstances.
So, you will never get along with your dog. The next time, your pet, in order to avoid a quarrel with you, on the contrary, will eat feces faster. Sometimes the dog trainer is guilty of the pet becoming ferocious. Therefore, train your dog correctly and there will be no problems.
Dog breeders are often faced with the fact that their pet eats their own or other people’s excrement. Why does the dog eat his feces and what to do about it? Despite the prevalence of this phenomenon, it cannot be regarded as the norm.
Coprophagia is a passion for one’s own or other people’s feces. Dogs of all breeds are susceptible to this habit, except miniature poodles. The sight is truly unpleasant, and serious health problems can arise.
If the doggie has tasted feces once and no longer shows interest in them, then there is no reason to worry. Studying other people’s feces, dogs find out for themselves the details of interest. For example, what gender is the animal and whether there is a sexual hunt. The temperature of the feces determines how long ago the owner left them.
It is worth worrying if, in addition to sniffing, there is a regular eating of “heaps”. Neutered males and bitches are especially susceptible to this addiction. It is necessary to find out the reason for this behavior in order to wean the dog from eating his own or other people’s excrement.
- The usual curiosity. Puppies, like small children, all strive to taste. Thus, they discover the environment and its inhabitants.
- Hunger. When an animal is severely hungry, everything is used that can somehow replace food and fill the stomach.
- Imitation of the mother. The mother takes care of babies up to one month old, eating their “heaps”. Growing up, some babies copy her actions.
- Concealment of traces of “crime”. The puppy can remember about the punishment for the “pile” in the wrong place and tries to destroy the “evidence”.
- Memory of ancestors. A dog is a domesticated wolf. In the natural environment, young or weakened individuals destroy their feces to hide traces from a stronger opponent.
- Serious problems in the digestive tract. The pet is not able to say that it hurts and ask for help. Symptoms of the disease often become visible when the disease has already dealt a heavy blow to the body. The cause for concern should be flatulence, difficulty with bowel movements, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. In this case, by eating feces, the animal tries to help itself.
- Gastronomic addictions. Believe it or not, sometimes your pet will eat its feces because it likes the taste and smell.
- Yearning. Even people sometimes do stupid things out of boredom. So dogs are looking for something to do with themselves, if they were put under lock and key for a short time. Why not eat your own feces?
- Lack of master’s attention. Sometimes dog breeders do not have enough time for sufficient communication with their pet. By eating its feces, the pet tries to attract the attention of the owner. Even his swearing is taken as extra attention.
The reason that can disturb the emotional balance of the dog can be a nervous shock:
- long trip by car;
- prolonged absence of the owner;
- physical punishment;
- performance at a competition or exhibition.
At the level of instinct of distant ancestors, pets eat other people’s feces to improve digestion. Replenishment of missing vitamins and microelements occurs due to bird droppings, human excrement or cat feces.
The manure of herbivores contains a large amount of protein and fiber. Horse stool helps to get rid of worms. Coprophagia may be caused by improper feeding:
- Fatty, salty foods.
- The predominance of cereals in the diet.
- Exclusively meat-based diet.
- Overfeeding and bloating.
- Cheap unbalanced feed.
- Unhealthy foods such as sweets.
Submission to authority figures may be one reason. By eating “heaps” of stronger animals, the weak, thus, show respect and submission. This can happen if there are several dogs in the house.
Animals often mark their territory with feces. Perhaps, by eating feces in the cat’s tray, the dog seeks to destroy the tracks of the rival. Or is afraid of the owner’s anger and cleans up the tracks of a negligent cat in some corner.
Regular eating of feces threatens to become infected with serious diseases:
- Intestinal parasites. Helminths lead to malfunctions in digestion and metabolic disorders. With a large accumulation of worms, intestinal blockage occurs and its subsequent rupture. This leads to the death of the dog.
- Parvovirus enteritis. A deadly viral infection affecting most adolescents.
- Leptospirosis. In common people. jaundice. The main blow falls on the liver of the animal. The disease is severe and rapid, especially in puppies and older dogs. Death can occur within 12-24 hours of infection.
- Toxoplasmosis. An infection that is transmitted not only to animals, but also to humans. Individuals of advanced age are difficult to tolerate the disease. Due to weakened immunity, treatment may not work.
To begin with, it is recommended to consult a veterinarian to rule out health problems. Coprophagia can be not just a bad habit, but the cause of internal disorders of the body.
Conduct the necessary tests of blood, urine, feces for the presence of worms and do an ultrasound. Only after excluding probable diseases can you begin to try to get rid of this addiction.
- Consult with a specialist. why the dog is eating feces, what is lacking in its diet. Monotonous food, cheap ready-made food is not the best food option. The correct menu with the addition of vitamins will help correct the situation. Sulfur and B vitamins must be present. Add meat and bone meal or buy premium ready-made feed. It is helpful to feed unpeeled beef tripe. It is rich in enzymes useful for digestion.
- Give your pet more attention if eating feces is an attempt to attract it. Try to actively play, run, talk with your pet while walking.
- Give a bite of your favorite treat after every emptying outside. After a week or two, replace the treat with praise or distract attention with your favorite toy.
- During the period of treatment or changing the menu, wear a muzzle for a walk. Just make sure that the dog can breathe freely in it. This will automatically make it impossible to eat excrement.
- You should not shout or punish for a bad habit. This will not solve the problem, it will only make it worse. The pet will continue to eat feces, only stealthily. It is important to teach him not to do this, and not to force him.
- Learn the commands “Fu” and “Don’t”. Noticing the animal’s interest in the next “heap”, pull slightly on the leash and say “Fu”. If there is no leash, shout the command loudly, come closer and distract by playing with your favorite toy. Be sure to praise the dog for obedience. If an unpleasant moment happened, and you did not have time to stop eating excrement, do not hug the animal and do not allow it to come close to the face.
- You should not punish for “heaps” and “puddles” made in the apartment. Physical punishment is completely ineffective and useless in this case. Poking a puppy into its bowel movements can lead to misunderstandings and loss of scent. For fear of being punished, the pet will begin to destroy traces of the “crime” by eating them.
- If the puppies start to show curiosity about their feces, try to clean them up as soon as they are empty. This will prevent them from following the example of a mother caring for babies.
- Treating dog feces with garlic sauce, horseradish, mustard (Russian) or hot pepper. Add seasoning to the stool and let the doggie eat it. This method permanently discourages appetite from such a delicacy.
- Experts suggest using additives in food that make the stool odor disgusting even for the pet itself. Anti-coprophagia drugs are sold in veterinary pharmacies.
- You can use professional help and contact a dog handler. He will teach the dog not to pick up anything on the street.
Let’s summarize and note the main points in the fight against coprophagia:
- See your veterinarian and get tested for possible internal body problems.
- Add variety to your diet. Add healthy vitamin supplements and minerals.
- Show concern and tolerance for your pet. His mood and state of mind completely depends on you.
- If the dog spends a long time alone, provide him with a variety of toys.
- Teach the commands “Fu” and “Do not”.
- Distract from the detected “target” by games.
- Reward your pet with a treat and praise after each evacuation.
- Timely remove excrement after the pet so that he does not have time to show interest in them.
- If there are several animals in the house, give your dog a little more attention. Give no reason to be jealous.
- See a professional trainer.
Faced with the problem of eating feces, the main thing is to correctly determine its source. Shouting and swearing will not work. Conduct a health examination, and only then get down to education.
Be patient and analyze the behavior of your four-legged friend. Perhaps the reason is quite simple and is on the surface. Follow the recommendations suggested by the experts and you will succeed.