This includes an illness such as psychogenic polydipsia. It is formed against the background of experienced dehydration in a dog, or in a puppy who has recently stopped drinking mother’s milk. The disease is difficult to treat and requires the intervention of a qualified veterinary neurologist who is able to develop an effective therapeutic regimen for influencing a sick animal.
Serious diseases, against the background of which the fact that the pet has an uncontrollable thirst may appear, should include various poisonings, urolithiasis, pyometra (inflammation of the uterus with a purulent etiology) and an ulcer in the open stage. The common symptomatology for all these pathological conditions is that the pet drinks a lot of water, runs abundantly to write, vomits violently, and breathes heavily. Signs vary depending on the triggering factors. If the thirst does not stop for 1-2 days, then the pet needs to be urgently taken to the doctor for examination.
Naturally, if a dog drinks a lot of water, then this is not always associated with any ailments. It is necessary to consider such a symptom in a comprehensive manner, taking into account all the reasons that can cause abnormal thirst in an animal. It is not required to take the dog to the veterinarian if thirst is triggered by factors such as:
- active physical activity that the dog is exposed to while walking;
- the dog has a lot of spicy and salty foods on the menu;
- hot season, high temperature in the immediate place of residence of the dog;
- the effect of pharmaceuticals prescribed to the animal;
- treatment of dogs against worms and fleas.
My dog is drinking and peeing more than normal
The owner must be aware that if a dog needs a lot of water to maintain normal life, but at the same time he does not have free access to a drinking bowl, then dehydration of the body is possible. Vivid symptoms of the development of such a malicious process are:
- rapid breathing;
- saliva becomes stringy, thick;
- lethargy, desire to lie in a cool, shaded place;
- the dog’s tongue is dry.
In advanced cases, dehydration in a dog is expressed in the fact that the pet stops getting up and vomits a lot. If prompt assistance is not provided to him, he will die. On the other hand, experts assure that in the presence of 1-2 symptoms and the absence of vomiting, the problem can be dealt with at home.
Treating a dog is quite simple, give him a tablespoon of water every 10 minutes. When the condition is normalized, it is permissible to put a drinker next to the animal, but make sure that it does not lean heavily on the water, this can provoke vomiting and repeated dehydration. Dehydration, in the case when a puppy has undergone it, it is better to eliminate in a veterinary clinic, under the supervision of a veterinarian, since the risk of complications of the symptom is too great.
Another major reason a dog drinks a lot of water is diabetes. The disease occurs due to the fact that the dog’s pancreas undergoes destructive processes and stops producing such an important protein hormone for the body as insulin. It is with the help of it that carbohydrate metabolism is carried out.
Diagnosis of pathology is possible only in a veterinary clinic. The main procedure for differentiating the diagnosis is general and biochemical blood tests. There are no vivid symptoms of this formidable disease, the only sign is frequent drinking of water. In older individuals, blindness is sometimes an aggravating symptom.
With kidney dysfunction, the dog drinks a lot of water and urinates. Renal failure, expressed in an acute form, can lead an animal to dehydration in just a day. However, in an elderly dog that absorbs fluids abundantly and often goes to the toilet, this symptom indicates a chronic form of renal failure. This point is important to consider when making a diagnosis.
With the help of active urination, in veterinary medicine, this phenomenon in dogs is called polyuria, the kidneys remove waste from the body that occurs during the metabolic process. In case of illness of these important organs, harmful toxins begin to accumulate in the dog’s body. That is why the pet actively drinks liquid in order to urinate frequently and thereby eliminate the toxic waste products of metabolism. However, in reality, this does not solve the problem that has arisen, but only exacerbates it. In advanced cases, pathology can lead an animal to death.
Why does a dog drink a lot of water
Polydipsia in dogs is a phenomenon when an animal absorbs water in a huge amount, significantly exceeding the body’s daily need for fluid. Sometimes a similar phenomenon can be associated with the fact that the female is in a state of pregnancy or during the feeding period, but in most cases, if she began to drink a lot of water, then this is a sign that pathogenic processes are taking place in her body. Therefore, the owner must be attentive to such a phenomenon, and if the dog’s thirst becomes completely uncontrollable, he must take him to the veterinarian for an examination. The article will discuss the factors influencing why the dog drinks so much, the “background” diseases associated with this phenomenon, as well as the methods of treatment.
Owners who wondered why a dog drinks a lot of water, but does not eat much or does not eat at all, should know that the likelihood of having any ailment is about 90%. Sometimes the reason for this is taking alcohol-based drugs, but most often the root of the problem lies at the beginning of the course of pathogenic processes. Uncontrolled thirst indicates that the dog has dangerous diseases, each of which will be discussed below.
Veterinarians call this condition hyperadrenocorticism. Its course is due to the fact that the level of cortisol in the dog’s body increases significantly. It occurs due to trauma to the adrenal glands and pituitary gland, or the proliferation of abnormal tissues in them. Healthy dogs have consistently low cortisol levels and only increase in stressful situations.
In the presence of pathology, it is intensively released into the blood fluid, leading to an increase in glucose production, provoking that the animals actively drink the liquid. Additional signs include: hair loss, the pet urinates frequently, apathy, and nocturia (the need to urinate at night).
Treatment of the disease
Polydipsia from heatstroke in the summer is eliminated in a dog quite easily and at home. It is enough to transfer the animal to a dark, cool place and leave it to lie there. Additionally, you can wrap the pet in a damp cloth, this will significantly alleviate the general condition of the dog.
If the owner noticed that the dog began to actively lean on water, then you should remember if he recently took drugs that contain alcohol. If there are children in the family, make sure that they do not feed the dog excessively spicy or salty food. When the fears are confirmed, then try to balance the animal’s diet. Give him special food for 2-3 days, and the thirst will pass.
Uncontrolled absorption of fluids, lasting a week, requires more serious treatment. We’ll have to hospitalize the pet. In the veterinary hospital, the doctor will carry out all the necessary diagnostic procedures for him to establish the exact pathogenesis of the phenomenon. So the analysis of blood fluid is able to show:
- with kidney dysfunction. high levels of urea nitrogen and creatinine;
- with diabetes mellitus. an excess of the norm of glucose;
- with hyperadrenocorticism. a reduced level of urea nitrogen and an increased value of serum phosphatase.
When it turns out that painful changes are found in the blood, additional research will be required using ultrasound and X-rays. In some cases, the use of biopsy is justified. Based on the data obtained, the doctor will provide appropriate therapy, which will allow the pet to quickly “get back on its feet.”.
Excessive Drinking and Urinating Dog or Cat? Try This.
Finally, I would like to say that preventive measures in the case of polydipsia are quite simple. The owner should take the pet to the veterinarian for examination at least once a month, make sure that his physical activity is normalized and prevent the animal from overheating in the summer on the street, and in the winter at home. Intense thirst is not the most dangerous symptom of all, but it should not be ignored.
Treatment method and prognosis
The method of treatment depends entirely on what kind of disease caused the development of the disease. If these are kidney problems, they can be treated with medication, and if there is an obstruction of the urinary tract due to calculi, bougienage, ultrasonic stone breaking or surgery may be required.
When nerve endings are infringed, treatment can also be conservative or operative. In any case, surgery is the last resort, as, for example, with a running pyometra, when it is not possible to save the inflamed uterus and it is necessary to remove it.
The method of treatment and the medications used are selected by the attending veterinarian, depending on the type and complexity of the disease. If diabetes is the cause of thirst, in addition to treatment, the owners of the dog will have to completely reconsider its menu and their attitude to feeding the animal.
First of all, you will have to give up the practice of feeding him from his table with foods that are not suitable for dogs. sweets, pastries, fatty meats, smoked meats and pickles.
Diagnostics in a veterinary clinic
The veterinarian will examine the dog and send it for blood and urine tests, an ultrasound scan, and, if necessary or if a spinal injury is suspected, for an x-ray. In difficult cases, it may be necessary to undergo computed tomography or magnetic resonance imaging to clarify the problem and its location.
Reasons why your dog drinks a lot of water and urinates
In the heat of the summer or in an overly warm room, the dog may dramatically increase its fluid intake to quench its thirst. Naturally, she will start asking to go outside to urinate more often. There is nothing surprising and dangerous in this.
Thirst is also normal after eating a specific salty food, for example, if a dog has eaten a piece of salted fish or smoked sausage, as well as after increased physical exertion. Thirst also increases after castration, as well as during breastfeeding, especially in large numbers of puppies.
It is quite another matter if the animal suddenly began to drink too much water for no apparent reason. This may be one of the first signs of a developing disease, which is important not to miss. In this case, treating the dog will be much easier and faster, and cheaper too.
What to do at home
A sick animal should be provided with a calm, quiet and warm place, protected from drafts, out of the reach of small children and other pets. Give your dog plenty of water, or as the veterinarian says. If she urinates under her, she will have to use diapers.
Medicines are given strictly according to the doctor’s prescription, without trying to treat the dog on their own. It is especially dangerous to give your dog medications that are intended for humans.
The water given to the animal must be clean and boiled. It needs to be changed regularly, and the dishes should be washed thoroughly.
The diet must be checked and products that can provoke and stimulate thirst must be excluded from it. If excessive water consumption is caused by the transfer of the dog exclusively to dry food, it is necessary to provide it with constantly fresh drinking water in large quantities.
You can feed the animal as usual, if it is not sick, and the food itself was not the cause of the thirst. If you have a disease, you need to make sure that it is easy for the dog to eat food, if necessary, grind it more or even pass it through a meat grinder.
The most important thing a dog needs during an illness is the attention and love of the owners, so devote more time to it. This will help you recover faster.
Depending on what disease triggered the thirst attack, complications can be dangerous and even fatal. Especially dangerous are calculi (stones) in the kidneys and entrapment of nerves by the spine, as well as pyometra.
Stones threaten with blockage of the ureter or urethra, which can lead to an attack of severe pain and the development of very severe complications up to kidney failure or damage to the ureter by the sharp edges of the calculus. It can be fatal.
Infringement of the nerves and displacement of the intervertebral discs can lead to complete or partial paralysis and disability of the animal. He will need special conditions or the dog will not survive such a complication.
With pyometra, there is a powerful source of inflammation in the dog’s body. Pus can enter other organs, leading to their infection and the development of an inflammatory process. The most negative diagnosis is sepsis, or general blood poisoning. When neglected, you may not have time to save your pet.
Causes of the disease
There may be several pathological reasons for increased thirst:
- Treatment with diuretics, anticonvulsants, and corticosteroids. In this case, increased water intake is normal, and you should not restrict the animal in liquid.
- An inflammatory process in the body, which is accompanied by an increase in body temperature.
- Disorders of the kidneys and urinary system. However, the animal frequently urinates and drinks a lot of water in an attempt to restore electrolyte balance. Urolithiasis is especially dangerous because it can lead to blockage of the ureter or urethra with calculus, which will lead to the development of a severe pain attack. Cessation of urine excretion causes uremia and poisoning of the body with decay products. Treatment of urolithiasis in dogs with folk remedies is unacceptable, at the first suspicion, you should immediately contact the veterinarian without wasting time.
- Diabetes of the first and second types. This is a very dangerous disease that is often accompanied by increased thirst.
- Pyometra. purulent inflammation of the inner cavity of the uterus.
- Pyroplasmosis caused by protozoa is also accompanied by increased thirst.
- Polydipsia of psychogenic origin provokes an increase in water consumption.
- Some types of spinal injuries, for example, pinching of nerve endings, in some cases provoke an increase in thirst.
Not in all cases, you can easily determine the reason why the dog began to drink much more liquid. Therefore, with the exclusion of natural reasons for increased drinking of water, such a condition should alarm the owner of the animal and become a reason for a visit to the veterinary clinic.
Which breeds are more susceptible
Representatives of any breed can show signs of pathological thirst. water is drunk by “naked” dogs or dogs with a very short, “plush” coat, as they are more susceptible to environmental influences. They are also more prone to colds due to hypothermia, so they are more likely to suffer from a rise in temperature and kidney problems.
In animals with short legs and a long spine, nerve roots are more likely to be pinched, which can also cause thirst. These are mainly dachshunds, basset hounds, English and French bulldogs and other breeds.
The main symptoms
An experienced owner will immediately notice if the animal begins to drink much more than usual. Additionally, the following signs of trouble can be noted:
- Lack of appetite or complete refusal to eat.
- Lethargy, weakness, lethargy.
- The dog stops playing, hides under furniture, does not respond to owners.
- She has a dry nose, hot ears, eyes may be inflamed.
- When trying to urinate, the dog whines, and there is blood and / or sand, mucus, pus in the urine.
- The animal has dramatically lost weight or, conversely, gained excessive weight without increasing or decreasing the standard food rate.
When signs of illness appear, you need to check whether the dog’s food is too salty, and to exclude overheating of the animal. If everything is in order with this, the dog needs to be urgently taken to the clinic.
For what reasons dogs drink a lot of water and often urinate: what to do
Owners of furry pets rarely pay attention to their volume of fluid consumed, but polydipsia is not always a manifestation of a physiological nature, sometimes it is provoked by hidden pathologies. If the dog drinks a lot of water and urinates a lot, it is necessary to pay attention to the peculiarities of its behavior and, if secondary symptoms appear, visit the veterinarian.
The dog drinks a lot of water and urinates, what is the reason?
Excessive peeing of the dog as a normal reflex 2. Situations when the dog drinks and pees a lot, as a result of illness
What are the reasons for frequent bouts of thirst in a dog and frequent urination?
Many owners have to deal with the problem when the dog drinks a lot and urinates a lot, which can be due to both a natural reflex and the development of dangerous diseases.
To distinguish one from the other, you can observe the behavior of the pet and, by its characteristic signs, recognize the disease, whether it is just a protective function of the body against some irritant. The information below will help to understand this issue, which gives a detailed idea of the unusual behavior of the dog.
Urinary tract infections
UTIs can affect dogs of any age. It is a widespread disease that can vary greatly in severity. Some forms of infection are easy to treat with antibiotics, while others are more severe.
There are many symptoms to look out for if a UTI is a concern. The state of urine is a good indicator. While this can be frustrating, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the appearance and smell of urine. If it is cloudy and pungent, it could be caused by a UTI.
Another thing to look out for is the behavior of the puppy. If they bark when urinating, they may experience severe pain. Constant licking is a sign that they are trying to calm him down. Vomiting and fever are also symptoms.
Observe your puppy’s behavior
Social and behavioral problems can be very difficult to overcome and often require much more attention and action from the owners. The first step to solving the problem is to understand what causes urination.
You should watch them when they urinate, paying particular attention to how they do it. In the event of an accident, pay attention to the cause. From this point on, you can start helping your puppy overcome any psychological problems he is facing.
The pathological condition refers to behavioral abnormalities. Its nature is poorly understood, but most experts believe that uncontrolled water absorption in puppies is associated with interruption of breastfeeding. In adults, the anomaly is observed after suffering severe dehydration. Veterinarian-neurologist deals with the problem.
Important! In puppyhood up to a year, one more deviation may be observed. hypercalcemia. It occurs in response to a constant pile of calcium in the diet. With its development, babies refuse to eat, but they drink a lot. The consequences of the pathology are deformational changes in the limbs and growth retardation of the dog.
Definition of pathology
Distinguish between polyuria and pollakiuria in dogs. In the latter case, the amount of urine generated per day does not exceed the norm, but the dog often urinates. At the same time, a small amount of urine is released, the stream is often interrupted, contains blood, and all this causes pain to the dog. If the dog drinks a lot of water and urinates, there may be more than one reason, it is important to establish it in time in order to prescribe the correct treatment.
The diagnosis is clarified by daily measurement of the volume of fluid consumed and excreted urine. Observations should be made within 3-5 days. A laboratory analysis of urine is also carried out. it is important to determine its density. Normal urine density in dogs is 1.03 kg / l. Pollakiuria eliminates hyperthyroidism, diabetes mellitus, renal failure in dogs.
Characteristic signs for diabetes mellitus:
increased thirst. dogs drink a lot and often;
Laboratory tests are an essential diagnostic tool that can accurately diagnose. Plasma sodium level determination will help to establish the primary cause. polyuria or thirst. Primary polyuria is characterized by an increase in sodium concentration, polydipsia leads to an increase in blood volume and a relative drop in concentrations.
Hyperadrenocorticism is common in older dogs. It is excluded by determining the level of thyroxine in the blood. Analysis of urine allows you to establish the presence of inflammatory processes in the kidneys. Bacterial culture is used to establish pyelonephritis.
Last but not least, the dog is checked for diabetes insipidus. For this purpose, the amount of fluid consumed is reduced and the activity of antidiuretic hormone is measured. This test is contraindicated in animals with severe signs of dehydration. In primary polydipsia in dogs, after restriction of watering, a return to the norm of urine flow occurs. Central diabetes insipidus is characterized by a violation of the concentration of salts in the urine and their normalization after the use of antidiuretic hormone. Nephrogenic diabetes insipidus is characterized by the preservation of the pathological state after the use of ADH.
For the test, the dog is restrained in liquid until slight signs of dehydration appear. At the same time, the relative density of urine is measured. The time of development of dehydration depends on the type and degree of polyuria. with diabetes insipidus, it is noted 3-10 hours after the start of the test. Urine samples are taken naturally, but complete emptying of the bladder is required for accurate measurements.
With diabetes insipidus, the relative density of urine in a dog is less than 1.03 kg / l.
When determining the density of urine below normal values, a functional test should be continued. The dog is given desmopressin (an antidiuretic hormone). Repeated sampling of urine is determined by its concentration under the influence of hormones. This is necessary to rule out central diabetes insipidus.
urinalysis. an increase in protein indicates glomerulonephritis;
blood biochemistry and general clinical analysis. exclusion of hyperthyroidism, diabetes mellitus, hepatic and renal failure;
biopsy of lymph nodes with an increase in the level of calcium in the blood to exclude tumors;
With diabetes insipidus in dogs, dry skin and mucous membranes are noted, turgor falls. The formation and excretion of urine is increased. The emitted liquid is clear and of low density. Saliva in dogs is thick and viscous. The temperature is usually within normal limits, but with inflammatory processes in the kidneys, it may slightly increase.
The general state is depressed, sluggish reaction to external stimuli. Dogs develop heart and vascular insufficiency. muffled heart sounds, rapid pulse with signs of arrhythmia. Respiratory rate increased with signs of shortness of breath.
Labeling is common among dogs of all ages; urine acts as a signature for dogs. Dogs know if another animal has urinated nearby and may behave strangely because of this. This is also done to impress other dogs. New puppies often mark objects and new areas by peeing in different places in and outside the home. It is even more common in dogs that have not been spayed or spayed.
The old dog drinks a lot:
Natural (temporary) causes when the dog drinks a lot of water:
- high ambient temperature (summer heat, stuffiness in the house / apartment where the dog lives);
- transfer of a pet from natural nutrition to industrial dry food;
- low protein diet;
- salty food (especially when the dog is feeding from a human table);
- period of lactation or pregnancy (especially with multiple fetuses);
- taking certain medications (diuretics, corticosteroids, etc.);
- intensive training or active walking, running;
- estrus (but provided that, apart from thirst, there are no more aggravating symptoms);
- withdrawal from anesthesia. a day or two after operations.
All of these reasons are called temporary because after their elimination, the intensity of the desire to drink returns to normal.
The dog drinks a lot of water: reasons
The dog drinks a lot of water. when is it normal and when is it worth sounding the alarm? It is necessary to observe the pet, analyze the condition accompanying thirst, exclude normal, physiological needs for a large amount of water and seek help from a veterinarian in time. Everything else will be done by a specialist.
It’s okay to drink a lot of water.
Increased thirst is not always a sign of illness. The dog drinks abundantly and often with various physiological changes in the body that are in no way associated with pathologies.
The dog has dramatically lost weight and drinks a lot of water:
- renal failure;
- diabetes mellitus / diabetes insipidus;
- oncology, tumors;
- ascites (if this increases the abdomen);
- metabolic disease;
Drinks a lot of water and urinates frequently:
The dog drinks plenty of water and does not eat or eats, but a little:
- food poisoning, intoxication;
- problems in the digestive tract (increased acidity and heartburn, for example);
- indigestion with debilitating diarrhea;
- high body temperature;
- oral injuries;
- viral / bacterial infections with lesions of the oral mucosa and high fever;
- purulent inflammation of the uterus.
Pathological reasons why the dog began to drink a lot:
- psychogenic polydipsia (psychological trauma. for example, after a long absence of water, getting free access to it, the dog cannot get drunk);
- food poisoning, intoxication (especially table salt);
- endocrine pathologies (diabetes mellitus, Cushing’s syndrome (hyperthyroidism));
- oncology and hormone-dependent benign tumors (for example, insulinoma);
- disorders in the work of the kidneys (pyelonephritis, renal failure);
- debilitating diarrhea against a background of gastrointestinal disturbances;
- fever, fever and any infections associated with this symptom;
- gynecological diseases (pyometra or purulent inflammation of the uterus, false pregnancy);
- liver pathologies (abscesses and tumors, hepatitis);
- ascites or abdominal dropsy, when fluid is not absorbed by the body and accumulates in the abdominal cavity between organs. Usually occurs against the background of metabolic disorders in pathologies of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems, liver or kidneys;
- diabetes insipidus or urinary insipidus on the background of a violation of the pituitary gland.
The diagnosis by a veterinarian is made not only on the basis of clinical signs and anamnesis (although sometimes only these are enough). Sometimes additional research methods are required. ultrasound of the entire abdominal cavity, urine and blood tests.
Should I worry if my dog starts drinking a lot of water??
If your dog drinks a lot of water and urinates more often than usual, this is a reason to observe the condition of the pet. Measuring the approximate amount of fluid you consume is something that can be done at home. The information will be useful to the veterinarian to understand if there is really a problem.
What could be the reason that the dog drinks a lot of water and urinates frequently? How can you determine the cause of the problem and how can you solve it? Veterinarian advice.
When is it better to contact a veterinarian?
An attentive owner will always notice when the dog drinks a lot of water and does not eat well. In addition to these symptoms, signs of the disease can be:
- Depressed state. the animal lies more, refuses favorite games, strives to return home during a walk.
- Increased body temperature (the first signs are hot ears and dry nose, but accurate readings can be found by measuring rectally with a thermometer).
- The act of urination gives the dog pain or discomfort, the pet urinates more often. The urine becomes dark or bloody, pus, or mucus.
- A sharp deterioration in the condition of the animal, accompanied by diarrhea, vomiting, purulent discharge from the eyes.
- The pet has a swollen belly.
- Gradual exhaustion or, conversely, gaining excess weight, while the dog feels normal at first, but gradually becomes less active, quickly gets tired.
In the process of diagnosis, the doctor will examine the animal and prescribe additional studies:
- Abdominal ultrasound;
- general and biochemical blood tests;
- clinical analysis of urine;
- X-ray examination;
- specific analyzes (swabs, smears, bacteriological culture).
Reasons why your dog drinks a lot of water
Increased thirst, not associated with internal pathologies, does not pose a threat to the pet’s health. When the animal is in the most comfortable conditions and physiological norms, the level of fluid intake becomes normal. If the owner observes any other accompanying symptoms, this may indicate the development of serious pathologies.
- Diabetes. One of the characteristic symptoms is that the dog drinks a lot and urinates frequently. In addition, the pet becomes overweight, short of breath.
- Any inflammatory process leads to general intoxication. The body tries to cope with toxins on its own by flushing them out with fluid. The dog becomes lethargic, refuses to eat and drinks a lot. Depending on the location of the inflammation, specific concomitant symptoms will appear.
- Diseases of the urinary system. As a result of malfunctioning of the kidneys, blood filtration is impaired. Gradually, toxic substances accumulate in the body. At the same time, the dog drinks a lot of water and often vomits, appetite is reduced or absent. The urine itself changes: color, smell.
- Viral infections. The dog does not eat and drinks a lot, the presence of characteristic symptoms of infection. vomiting, diarrhea, fever, purulent discharge from the eyes.
- Pyometra. purulent inflammation of the uterus. Pathology in which the female is thirsty, often goes to the toilet, refuses food, becomes lethargic and inactive.
- Taking medications (glucocorticosteroids, diuretics, anticonvulsants). After starting treatment, it can be noted that the pet drinks a lot and eats a lot (as it recovers). At the end of therapy or drug withdrawal, everything returns to normal.
What to do if your dog drinks a lot of water and urinates a lot?
First of all, the pet must be observed for several days. If the general condition of the dog is normal, it is active, eats well, there are no disorders of the digestive system, then you need to understand what factor influenced the thirst.
- The most common reason when a dog drinks a lot of water and urinates is an uncomfortable temperature regime. In winter, the air in the apartment becomes dry and too warm. Therefore, it is important to humidify the premises with special devices or hang up important towels. Such a measure is useful not only for animals, but also for humans.
- In hot weather, walks are carried out in the early hours or in the late evening, when the peak of high temperatures has subsided. After forced exposure to the sun, the paw pads are watered with cool water. Small and medium-sized breeds can be washed whole under running water at room temperature. It is important that after such procedures, the pet does not lie on a cold floor or a draft.
- You can not scold a dog if she began to write at home, and before that there were no such cases or they were extremely rare. She may not have enough time for a walk to empty her bladder as much as possible. With increased thirst, the volume of urine also increases. In addition, it can be a symptom of certain diseases.
- If the pet is afraid of punishment and will endure, such a long absence of an act of urination can lead to serious consequences. the formation of crystals, cystitis and even kidney pathologies. At home, the animal can wear special diapers, or allocate a place (put a diaper there) so that the dog can urinate there if he cannot wait for a walk.
- Feeding your pet with dry industrial rations. Most feeds include hydrolyzed meat. That is, before grinding, it is dried to remove excess moisture. In the stomach, the feed pellets swell, taking up all the free liquid. Therefore, to replenish the balance, the animal drinks more water.
- Hot season or too warm air in the apartment. When overheated or in an uncomfortable high temperature, the dog often breathes with an open mouth and drinks a lot of water.
- Increased physical activity. The body loses moisture through perspiration. The dog drinks a lot of water to replenish the fluid loss and partially cool the body. The pet breathes heavily and often, muscle tremors may be observed.
- Salty food, treats from the table. Human food contains excessive amounts of salt for animals.
- Females consume more water during estrus, as part of the liquid goes to the formation of mucous secretions.
- A pregnant and rearing dog. The consumption of fluid consumed is aimed at the formation of amniotic fluid, milk production. As lactation ends, the female’s thirst gradually decreases and comes to its usual volume.
How much water should a dog consume per day, and how much liquid is it for the animal?
There are no unequivocal standards for how much water a pet should drink per day. Many factors affect the thirst of the animal: physiological characteristics, conditions of detention, age, season, nature of physical activity, etc. The dog comes up to a bowl of water several times a day. Some pets like to drink from non-standard places (buckets, toilet, watering cans).
In addition, the body excretes some of the moisture from food. For example, canned industrial food contains up to 85% liquid. Broths, cereals and fresh meat also serve as source of latent moisture. But at the same time, ordinary fresh water should always be freely available for the pet.
If the owner suspects that the pet has begun to drink a lot, you can measure how much water the animal drinks per day. To do this, you need to take a certain amount and pour it into an empty bowl. The next day, measure the remaining liquid in the bowl and subtract from the original volume. Such observations are carried out for several days, all the data obtained are recorded.
Approximate rates of water consumption by weight of the animal: