Why does a dog drink a lot of water
The simplest reasons for consuming excess fluid are heat indoors or outdoors, as well as heavy physical exertion on the animal during the warm season.
When switching to dry food, the dog will need more water.
If the animal is fed salted food. then it will drink much more than it should be. In cases where the animal is transferred from a regular natural diet to dry food, the pet will need additional fluid. This is a normal phenomenon, because earlier not only water entered the body, but also liquid from soups, broths, cereals. And dry food does not contain moisture, so the bowl of water should be much larger than before, or you will have to add water more often than usual.
How to measure?
Before giving water to a dog, you need to measure its volume.
To determine how much your pet drinks, you need to take measurements.
When pouring water into a bowl, its volume is preliminarily measured. When feeding, they also record how many ml of liquid dishes were eaten per day. The readings are summed up and after that it can only be concluded whether the dog drinks a lot or is it the norm for its weight. Remember to measure water when you add it throughout the day.
In some cases, when the animal is prescribed a course of diuretics, or the pet is being treated with corticosteroids, excessive water consumption is possible.
Your dog needs more water while taking medications.
This is completely normal and should not be limited. Anticonvulsant treatment also induces thirst in certain animals.
Treating and helping your pet
How can you help your dog if it drinks too much water? Here are some basic guidelines to help aspiring dog breeders:
- Checking dog food for salt. If foods are too salty, the diet should be changed, and salt should be temporarily completely eliminated.
- By increasing the amount of protein foods in the menu. reduction of water consumption can be achieved.
- If thirst is caused by switching to dry food. just put a large bowl of water and periodically add liquid to it.
- If the owner suspects the dog has pyometra. you need to contact your veterinarian. He will prescribe blood tests: general and biochemical, then send the animal for an ultrasound scan. Depending on the results obtained, treatment will be prescribed. In severe cases, this will be an operation with the removal of the uterus and ovaries. Sometimes conservative treatment is prescribed. This will be antibiotic therapy, as well as the use of hormonal agents that affect the contraction of the uterus and the removal of any contents from it.
- Diabetes in animals is considered incurable. but the use of special drugs can improve the condition and prolong the life of the pet. In case of diabetes mellitus, the pet will be recommended a diet and insulin. The dose will be adjusted by the veterinarian. It will depend on the constitutional characteristics of the dog, his physical activity. With regard to nutrition, it is best to transfer the animal to ready-made feed for diabetics. This will make it easier to control the nutrition process. Only high quality feed should be selected. If the doctor prescribes insulin, your pet will have to inject it at the same time every day. The doctor will select the dosage and tell you that it is better to inject into the withers or chest. Special syringes are available from the pharmacy. You will also need to have a portable blood glucose meter on hand to monitor your glucose levels. Sometimes, after taking insulin, an animal experiences an excessive drop in glucose levels, which is fraught with the development of hypoglycemic coma and may result in the death of the animal. If the level on the meter drops to 3 mmol / L, you should give the dog something sweet. For example, natural honey or dilute sugar in water and give this syrup an animal.
- With cystitis, the dog is given as much water as possible. you can brew bearberry and let your pet drink this broth. Antibiotic treatment is mandatory. In a veterinary clinic, the bladder is washed with disinfecting solutions. Suitable for this purpose: furacilin, potassium permanganate, penicillin. In case of an infectious process, urosulfan, furadonin are prescribed, and if Pseudomonas aeruginosa is detected, gonocrine is prescribed. Cystenal helps to relieve spasms and soreness well. It is dripped on sugar and given to the pet to eat.
Why the dog drinks a lot of water and often goes to the toilet (causes and treatment)
Caring dog owners celebrate all the changes that are happening to their pets. They know how much food the animal eats at lunch and throughout the day, and they also notice the amount of fluid they drink. Any deviation is confusing. For example, why did the dog drink a lot of water and constantly asks to use the toilet? Is thirst normal for a dog or is it necessary to limit “water consumption”? Excessive water consumption can be caused by many reasons, we will deal with them in more detail.
Additional causes of thirst
If the pet has undergone a castration operation, then the excessive need for water is a consequence of hormonal changes in the body. Females during lactation may also have an irrepressible urge to drink water.
During lactation, dogs begin to drink more water.
An improperly formulated diet leads to the desire to drink plenty of water. For example, a low protein diet or salty fish dishes on the menu are the reasons why dogs start drinking water in huge doses.
The dog drinks a lot of water and often goes to the toilet
The dog may be thirsty due to fever.
If the owner of the dog is convinced that the pet does not have objective reasons for thirst, it is not hot outside, feeding takes place as usual and the animal was not exposed to heavy loads, did not take pills, you should look for the cause of thirst in internal diseases:
- Any inflammatory process in the body is accompanied by an increase in temperature. The temperature should be measured and attention should be paid to the condition of the animal. Perhaps thirst is a consequence of inflammation and fever.
- If, in addition to thirst, the dog also often asks to the toilet to urinate. she may have kidney or urinary problems. In this situation, it is necessary to pay attention to the dog’s behavior, whether urination is accompanied by pain, whether there is bloody discharge in the urine. It is recommended to show the dog to a specialist, because kidney problems or cystitis are quite unpleasant diseases that can even lead to the death of the animal. For example, when the urinary tract is blocked by stones. If urine has ceased to flow, the animal is lethargic, but at the same time drinks a lot. urgently to the veterinary clinic!
- If you notice that the dog began to drink a lot and eat a lot, be sure to visit the veterinarian. He will offer to be screened for diabetes. Unfortunately, this disease affects an increasing number of domestic animals. Feeding buns, sweets and other sweets leads to the progression of the disease. The dog begins to feel excessive thirst, tries to drink a lot.
- Diabetes insipidus is also accompanied by water loss. The animal begins to drink excessively, the owner does not have time to add water to the drinker.
- Thirst, refusal to eat, lethargy are obvious signs of pyometers. This disease is accompanied by a purulent inflammatory process in the uterus. In some cases, the presence of cancer is possible.
- With piroplasmosis, the animal also suffers from thirst, and the owner notices that the pet begins to drink too much water.
- Psychogenic polydipsia is accompanied by unprecedented thirst in the dog, the symptoms of which are hard to miss.
- Sometimes a spinal injury leads to the fact that the dog begins to drink water without measure. Some dog breeds are prone to back and spinal injuries. For example, if a dachshund has become unhappy, and its gait is uncertain and weak, it is possible that the nerve roots in the vertebrae are pinched. An indirect symptom of trauma is an excessive need for water and frequent urination. In addition to dachshunds, such spinal problems occur in other breeds of dogs with an elongated torso, such as the Basset Hounds.
Another major reason a dog drinks a lot of water is diabetes. The disease occurs due to the fact that the dog’s pancreas undergoes destructive processes and stops producing such an important protein hormone for the body as insulin. It is with the help of it that carbohydrate metabolism is carried out.
Diagnosis of pathology is possible only in a veterinary clinic. The main procedure for differentiating the diagnosis is general and biochemical blood tests. There are no vivid symptoms of this formidable disease, the only sign is frequent drinking of water. In older individuals, blindness is sometimes an aggravating symptom.
Owners who wondered why a dog drinks a lot of water, but does not eat much or does not eat at all, should know that the likelihood of having any ailment is about 90%. Sometimes the reason for this is taking alcohol-based drugs, but most often the root of the problem lies at the beginning of the course of pathogenic processes. Uncontrolled thirst indicates that the dog has dangerous diseases, each of which will be discussed below.
Why does a dog drink a lot of water
Polydipsia in dogs is a phenomenon when an animal absorbs water in a huge amount, significantly exceeding the body’s daily need for fluid. Sometimes a similar phenomenon can be associated with the fact that the female is in a state of pregnancy or during the feeding period, but in most cases, if she began to drink a lot of water, then this is a sign that pathogenic processes are taking place in her body. Therefore, the owner must be attentive to such a phenomenon, and if the dog’s thirst becomes completely uncontrollable, he must take him to the veterinarian for an examination. The article will discuss the factors influencing why the dog drinks so much, the “background” diseases associated with this phenomenon, as well as the methods of treatment.
With kidney dysfunction, the dog drinks a lot of water and urinates. Renal failure, expressed in an acute form, can lead an animal to dehydration in just a day. However, in an elderly dog who absorbs fluids abundantly and often goes to the toilet, this symptom indicates a chronic form of renal failure. This point is important to consider when making a diagnosis.
With the help of active urination, in veterinary medicine, this phenomenon in dogs is called polyuria, the kidneys remove waste from the body that occurs during the metabolic process. In case of illness of these important organs, harmful toxins begin to accumulate in the dog’s body. That is why the pet actively drinks liquid in order to urinate often and thereby eliminate the toxic waste of metabolism. However, in reality, this does not solve the problem that has arisen, but only exacerbates it. In advanced cases, pathology can lead an animal to death.
Naturally, if the dog drinks a lot of water, then this is not always associated with any ailments. It is necessary to consider such a symptom in a comprehensive manner, taking into account all the reasons that can cause abnormal thirst in an animal. It is not required to take the dog to the veterinarian if thirst is triggered by factors such as:
- active physical activity that the dog is exposed to while walking;
- the dog has a lot of spicy and salty foods on the menu;
- hot season, high temperature in the immediate place of residence of the dog;
- the effect of pharmaceuticals prescribed to the animal;
- treatment of dogs against worms and fleas.
The owner must be aware that if the dog needs a lot of water to maintain normal life, but at the same time he does not have free access to a drinking bowl, then dehydration of the body is possible. Vivid symptoms of the development of such a malicious process are:
- rapid breathing;
- saliva becomes stringy, thick;
- lethargy, desire to lie in a cool, shaded place;
- the dog’s tongue is dry.
In advanced cases, dehydration in a dog is expressed in the fact that the pet stops getting up and vomits a lot. If prompt assistance is not provided to him, he will die. On the other hand, experts assure that in the presence of 1-2 symptoms and the absence of vomiting, the problem can be dealt with at home.
Treating a dog is quite simple, give him a tablespoon of water every 10 minutes. When the condition is normalized, it is permissible to put a drinker next to the animal, but make sure that it does not lean heavily on the water, this can provoke vomiting and repeated dehydration. Dehydration, in the case when a puppy has undergone it, it is better to eliminate in a veterinary clinic, under the supervision of a veterinarian, since the risk of complications of the symptom is too great.
Veterinarians call this condition hyperadrenocorticism. Its course is due to the fact that the level of cortisol in the dog’s body significantly increases. It occurs due to trauma to the adrenal glands and pituitary gland, or the proliferation of abnormal tissues in them. Healthy dogs have consistently low cortisol levels and only increase in stressful situations.
In the presence of pathology, it is intensively released into the blood fluid, leading to an increase in glucose production, provoking that the animals actively drink the liquid. Additional signs include: hair loss, the pet urinates frequently, apathy, and nocturia (the need to urinate at night).
This includes an illness such as psychogenic polydipsia. It is formed against the background of experienced dehydration in a dog, or in a puppy who has recently stopped drinking mother’s milk. The disease is difficult to treat and requires the intervention of a qualified veterinary neurologist who can develop an effective therapeutic regimen for the affected animal.
Serious diseases, against the background of which the fact that the pet has an uncontrollable thirst may appear, should include various poisonings, urolithiasis, pyometra (inflammation of the uterus with a purulent etiology) and an ulcer in the open stage. The common symptomatology for all these pathological conditions is that the pet drinks a lot of water, runs abundantly to write, vomits violently, and breathes heavily. Signs vary depending on the triggering factors. If the thirst does not stop for 1-2 days, then the pet needs to be urgently taken to the doctor for examination.
Treatment of the disease
Polydipsia from heatstroke in the summer is eliminated in a dog quite easily and at home. It is enough to transfer the animal to a dark, cool place and leave it to lie there. Additionally, you can wrap the pet in a damp cloth, this will significantly alleviate the general condition of the dog.
If the owner noticed that the dog began to actively lean on water, then one should remember whether he recently took drugs that contain alcohol. If there are children in the family, make sure that they do not feed the dog excessively spicy or salty food. When the fears are confirmed, then try to balance the animal’s diet. Give him special food for 2-3 days, and the thirst will pass.
Uncontrolled absorption of fluids, lasting a week, requires more serious treatment. We’ll have to hospitalize the pet. In the veterinary hospital, the doctor will carry out all the necessary diagnostic procedures for him to establish the exact pathogenesis of the phenomenon. So the analysis of blood fluid is able to show:
- with kidney dysfunction. high levels of urea nitrogen and creatinine;
- with diabetes mellitus. an excess of the norm of glucose;
- with hyperadrenocorticism. a reduced level of urea nitrogen and an increased value of serum phosphatase.
When it turns out that painful changes are found in the blood, additional research using ultrasound and X-rays will be required. In some cases, the use of biopsy is justified. Based on the data obtained, the doctor will provide appropriate therapy, which will allow the pet to quickly “get back on its feet.”.
Finally, I would like to say that preventive measures in the case of polydipsia are quite simple. The owner should take the pet to the veterinarian for examination at least once a month, make sure that his physical activity is normalized and prevent the animal from overheating in the summer on the street, and in the winter at home. Intense thirst is not the most dangerous symptom of all, but it should not be ignored.
Tips for dog breeders: what to do at home
If the dog behaves adequately, but at the same time drinks a lot of water, the owner can correct the situation on his own, following these recommendations:
- fatty, salty, sweet foods are removed from the animal’s diet, while increasing the amount of protein products;
- it is worth making sure that the yard dog’s booth is always in the shade;
- in order for the pet to be comfortable, it is necessary to monitor the humidity of the air and regularly ventilate the premises;
- when transferring a dog to dry food, it is important that there is always a bowl filled with fresh water nearby.
Having noticed that the pet drinks a lot, do not limit it in liquid until the true cause of thirst is established.
The exception is when the dog vomits violently and has diarrhea. But in this case, the animal should be immediately taken to the veterinary clinic.
Rate and deviations
If the animal does not drink enough fluids, it provokes dehydration and can result in death. The opposite situation is no less dangerous.
When a dog drinks a lot of water, it complicates the work of vital organs and contributes to the development of severe pathologies.
Factors provoking high water intake
When a pet drinks a lot, and this is not related to the specifics of the body, external factors that can increase thirst are considered:
- In the heat, animals are constantly tormented by thirst, and this is a completely normal natural phenomenon, but when a pet loafs too much water in winter, they talk about a deviation from physiology (if the reason does not lie in dry air due to the operation of heating devices).
- The amount of fluid is influenced by the conditions in which the pet lives:
- if it is a yard animal, its needs are influenced by climatic features;
- a dog living in an apartment or house is in more comfortable conditions, but here it also has its own specifics: dry air and unventilated rooms;
- An active dog sweats a lot, and the body needs more fluid to replenish hydrobalance.
- “Bald” pets suffer less from heat. The longer the coat, the more the body heats up, the more moisture is needed to cool.
- In cities, the atmosphere is polluted by emissions. With the air that the dog breathes, harmful substances enter the body. To remove toxins and toxins, a large amount of liquid is required.
Being on natural food, dogs do not lack water. such food contains up to 80% moisture. But the animal sitting on dry food was less fortunate in this regard: the product contains a maximum of 12% water, so the pet has to drink a lot.
But even natural food is not always able to protect the dog from polydipsia. If the food is salty or sweet, the meat is overdried, the need for water will increase from 25 to 40% above the daily requirement.
When your pet begins to drink more water than usual, you should watch him. Perhaps this is an isolated case associated with the intake of salty food. If the phenomenon is often repeated, it is recommended to measure the amount of alcohol consumed per day.
A result exceeding 100 ml / kg body weight is a sign of polydipsia. It is necessary to look for the cause of increased thirst.
To begin with, external factors are assessed (climate, ecology, diet, etc.), as well as the physiological state of the animal (pregnancy, lactation, age). First of all, the owner needs to adjust the diet of his pet.
If these factors are excluded, the body temperature of the animal is measured, and its well-being is assessed. Determine if there are other suspicious signs accompanying thirst. It is recommended to show the dog to the veterinarian.
Pathologies of the organs of the urinary system
The kidneys are involved in maintaining hydrobalance. If pathologies arise in them, the animal may develop urolithiasis, which disrupts the release of urine.
The opposite situation is also observed. excessive urination, provoked by an increased concentration of calcium.
Why the dog began to drink a lot of water: possible reasons, whether something needs to be done
When a pet greedily laps up water in large quantities, the heat is not always to blame. There are many factors that cause a dog to drink a lot of water, and not all of them are harmless.
Excess water in the body is a serious burden on the kidneys, this can lead to serious consequences.
Why Is Your Dog Drinking So Much Water?
Animal treatment and prognosis
If your dog is sick, do not self-medicate. The veterinarian should select drug therapy, he will also observe the animal’s recovery.
My dog is drinking and peeing more than normal
In each case, you will need the appropriate medication, the dosage of which is prescribed taking into account the age of the pet, its weight and other factors.
In some cases (acute inflammatory processes, serious injuries, open ulcers, problems with the uterus in bitches, stones in the kidneys, liver, excretory tracts, etc.), surgical intervention will be required.
Inflammatory processes of internal organs
Animals get sick just like humans. Any inflammation triggers a mechanism for the production of antibodies that fight infection. Often this is accompanied by a high fever, which provokes thirst.
An open stomach ulcer can also cause a fever. To relieve dryness, the animal begins to lap water incessantly. This leads to profuse vomiting and even more thirst.
Urinary incontinence in dogs is a sign of a problem. And they arise not only in old age. It should be understood that a pet is an emotional creature that lives according to its instincts. In males, the smell of urine is an indicator of dignity.
Often the pet is able to write for the following reasons: fear, stress, pain, threat, etc. In such a situation, treatment is not required. Simple adjustment needed
Why does the dog pee often? This may be due to age-related characteristics, with a weakening of smooth muscles. What to do in such a situation? It will be necessary to treat with the help of medication.
The reason that the dog began to pee often may lie in heat. Quite often, this problem makes itself felt at the first “hunt” in young girls. Due to the presence of pulling pains, they often try to “empty” the bladder. This allows you to get rid of additional pressure.
Treatment in this situation is not required. You just need to walk with your girl more often. What you shouldn’t do is scold. She realizes that constantly cleaning up puddles does not make you feel good. But unable to improve.
Perhaps the dog just drinks a lot of water and cannot endure before going outside. But the need for a lot of water can also indicate the presence of diseases.
If a puppy pisses
If a small puppy urinates often, know that he will learn to control this process when he is 3-4 months old. The term will depend on how the owner is able to correctly explain what the puppy should do. It is necessary to tell where he should relieve himself.
It should be understood that a puppy rarely starts urinating just like that. In many situations, this is accompanied by the presence of congenital abnormalities. And the puppy will be able to return to normal life only after surgery.
Treatment implies the need for testing. Laboratory analysis of urine can help in many situations. In some dogs, the cause of incontinence is hidden in the presence of cystitis. In the case of extensive inflammation, urine starts to leak constantly. Also, a puppy or adult pet may defecate while sleeping.
The causes of cystitis mainly lie in hypothermia. Treatment involves taking antibiotics. After starting therapy, clinical progress can be noticed after a few days. If you do nothing, your puppy or adult pet will urinate blood. Gradually, he will not be able to relieve himself at all.
It is imperative to carry out the full course of treatment. It is not recommended to stop treatment, even if the symptoms have completely disappeared. Relapse is possible. details about the symptoms of cystitis will be discussed in the video.
Occurrence of diseases
Why did the dog begin to write often? This may indicate that any diseases have arisen. And most often they are inflammatory in nature. It is difficult to determine the causes even if you undergo a clinical examination. What to do in such a situation?
Begin to write down all the characteristic features of the content, describe the diet and nature of the walks, tell about the events that the pet has encountered, how much water he drinks. The more information is provided to the veterinarian, the sooner the reasons will be found.
If urinary incontinence in dogs is associated with behavioral features, kicks and screams will not help the case. Even treatment will not save. In such situations, you need to educate your pet, showing your patience and perseverance.
Males are capable of marking territory in this way. The dog most often pees in the corners. In such a situation, treatment involves sterilization, due to which the sexual instinct will decrease.
Key Treatment Recommendations
Treatment should start first of all with identifying the problem (drinking a lot of water, whining, blood in the urine, etc.).
If the pathology was caused by disorders in the contractile abilities of the sphincter, hormonal drugs should be used. A similar problem often occurs in neutered or neutered pets. It is associated with a lack of hormones.
In the presence of other problems, drugs that belong to the group of tricyclic antidepressants may be effective. They are aimed at relaxing the muscles of the bladder. However, the sphincter contraction also occurs. This is exactly what is required.
The above funds have a potent effect. Often, after taking them, side effects occur. It is recommended to use it after consulting a doctor. It is he who must choose the exact dosage.
The presence of deviations
Treating the disease we are describing is not easy. Because there is a relationship with congenital or acquired problems, which are characterized by weakness of the urethral muscles. If so, urine will leak regularly. Treatment will not help completely.
How to be in the described situation? For starters, do not panic, consult a specialist. He will tell you how to be. Indeed, in some cases, it is permissible to control chronic diseases, especially if they are detected in the initial stages.
Why does my dog urinate often? It may also depend on the age of the animal. After all, the older the dog, the more its smooth muscles weaken. How to be in this case? Only treatment with special supportive drugs will help.
The dog often urinates also because it is in heat. This is especially evident in a young bitch who has never had sexual intercourse. Pulling pains in the lower abdomen provoke frequent emptying of the bladder. With this, the discomfort goes away for a short time. In this case, treatment is not required, just walk the dog more often. It is not worth scolding the beast, he understands that he is guilty, but he cannot correct himself in any way, with all the desire.
If the dog drinks a lot and urinates often, then this can be considered normal. In this case, you just need to reduce the intake of liquid by the animals. Although sometimes this behavior sometimes signals serious problems in his health.
An animal can also suffer from frequent urination due to ectopia. This disease is congenital. often females are exposed to it. Ectopia is detected at a young age by taking anamnesis.
If the history is not enough, urography and general examination are prescribed.
With this diagnosis, surgery is indicated.
Your dog urinates frequently: causes and treatment
Nobody likes puddles on a home floor or carpet; dogs are punished for this. And okay, if they were left by a small puppy, and not an adult dog. Before you scold an animal, understand why your dog urinates frequently. After all, this may have serious reasons, and not just demonstrating your ignorance in conflicts with the owner.
Oftentimes, a condition called polydipsia is the cause of your dog urinating frequently and heavily. It can be recognized due to the fact that the animal drinks a huge amount of water, several times exceeding all permissible norms. If the liquid is abused by a female, it is reasonable to suspect the presence of pyometra.
You can’t do without ultrasound. Avoid self-medication. Only a doctor should recommend medicines.
Polydipsia is an alarming symptom. And most importantly, what causes fear is not that the dog often urinates and drinks a lot, but what is hidden behind it. And we can talk here about many serious diseases:
And this is not a complete list, but only a part of it. Therefore, if you find something like this in your pet, immediately go to the doctor.
Occurrence of diseases
Why does my dog urinate often? What to do in this case? Let’s take a closer look at this issue. Often this phenomenon indicates the presence of certain diseases, usually of an inflammatory etiology. Revealing the causes is not easy, even with diagnostics. What to do?
Write down all the manifestations of urinary incontinence, be sure to mention under what conditions it occurs. Also describe the dog’s menu, the number of walks per day, and, of course, do not forget about the amount of liquid your pet drinks. The more information you give the veterinarian, the easier it will be for him to understand the problem.
How to identify diabetes insipidus?
This disease is diagnosed by thirst and a large amount of excreted urine. Sometimes urinary incontinence occurs, which is associated with the inability of the animal to empty the bladder for reasons beyond its control.
Differential diagnosis of diabetes insipidus is carried out together with other pathologies:
- true diabetes mellitus;
- kidney failure;
- liver disease;
- psychogenic polydipsia.
Laboratory tests for this pathology, as a rule, look like this:
- UAC. norm.
- Blood biochemistry. unchanged, rarely increased sodium.
- Density of urine. with the pathology we describe, it is low, about 1009-1013. Its color is almost like water or weak staining.
- Blood serum. the amount of ADH is determined.
- A test with the exclusion of liquid or the introduction of chemical ADH, with the assumption of central diabetes insipidus. If the animal’s desire to drink decreases and its density increases, then this confirms the diagnosis.
- MRI or TM if a pineal tumor is suspected.
Before conducting tests with ADH, the doctor must exclude all other probable causes of such a condition. Since these studies, due to the possibility of dehydration, are carried out only in the clinic.
- Feeding your pet with dry industrial rations. Most feeds include hydrolyzed meat. That is, before grinding, it is dried to remove excess moisture. In the stomach, the feed pellets swell, taking up all the free liquid. Therefore, to replenish the balance, the animal drinks more water.
- Hot season or too warm air in the apartment. When overheated or in an uncomfortable high temperature, the dog often breathes with an open mouth and drinks a lot of water.
- Increased physical activity. The body loses moisture through perspiration. The dog drinks a lot of water to replenish fluid loss and partially cool the body. The pet breathes heavily and often, muscle tremors may be observed.
- Salty food, treats from the table. Human food contains excessive amounts of salt for animals.
- Females consume more water during estrus, as part of the liquid goes to the formation of mucous secretions.
- A pregnant and rearing dog. The consumption of fluid consumed is aimed at the formation of amniotic fluid, milk production. As lactation ends, the female’s thirst gradually decreases and comes to its usual volume.
When is it better to contact a veterinarian?
An attentive owner will always notice when the dog drinks a lot of water and does not eat well. In addition to these symptoms, signs of the disease can be:
- Depressed state. the animal lies more, refuses its favorite games, strives to return home for a walk.
- Increased body temperature (the first signs are hot ears and dry nose, but accurate readings can be found by measuring rectally with a thermometer).
- The act of urination gives the dog pain or discomfort, the pet urinates more often. The urine becomes dark or bloody, pus, or mucus.
- A sharp deterioration in the condition of the animal, accompanied by diarrhea, vomiting, purulent discharge from the eyes.
- The pet has a swollen belly.
- Gradual exhaustion or, conversely, gaining excess weight, while the dog feels normal at first, but gradually becomes less active, quickly gets tired.
In the process of diagnosis, the doctor will examine the animal and prescribe additional studies:
- Abdominal ultrasound;
- general and biochemical blood tests;
- clinical analysis of urine;
- X-ray examination;
- specific analyzes (swabs, smears, bacteriological culture).
- Diabetes. One of the characteristic symptoms is that the dog drinks a lot and urinates frequently. In addition, the pet becomes overweight, short of breath.
- Any inflammatory process leads to general intoxication. The body tries to cope with toxins on its own by flushing them out with fluid. The dog becomes lethargic, refuses to eat and drinks a lot. Depending on the location of the inflammation, specific concomitant symptoms will appear.
- Diseases of the urinary system. As a result of malfunctioning of the kidneys, blood filtration is impaired. Gradually, toxic substances accumulate in the body. At the same time, the dog drinks a lot of water and often vomits, appetite is reduced or absent. The urine itself changes: color, smell.
- Viral infections. The dog does not eat and drinks a lot, the presence of characteristic symptoms of infection. vomiting, diarrhea, fever, purulent discharge from the eyes.
- Pyometra. purulent inflammation of the uterus. Pathology in which the female is thirsty, often goes to the toilet, refuses food, becomes lethargic and inactive.
- Taking medications (glucocorticosteroids, diuretics, anticonvulsants). After starting treatment, it can be noted that the pet drinks a lot and eats a lot (as it recovers). At the end of therapy or drug withdrawal, everything returns to normal.
Reasons why your dog drinks a lot of water
Increased thirst, not associated with internal pathologies, does not pose a threat to the pet’s health. When the animal is in the most comfortable conditions and physiological norms, the level of fluid intake becomes normal. If the owner observes any other accompanying symptoms, this may indicate the development of serious pathologies.
How much water should a dog consume per day, and how much liquid is it for an animal?
There are no unequivocal standards for how much water a pet should drink per day. Many factors affect the thirst of the animal: physiological characteristics, conditions of detention, age, season, nature of physical activity, etc. The dog comes up to a bowl of water several times a day. Some pets like to drink from non-standard places (buckets, toilet, watering cans).
In addition, the body excretes some of the moisture from food. For example, canned industrial food contains up to 85% liquid. Broths, cereals and fresh meat also serve as source of hidden moisture. But at the same time, ordinary fresh water should always be freely available for the pet.
If the owner suspects that the pet has begun to drink a lot, you can measure how much water the animal drinks per day. To do this, you need to take a certain amount and pour it into an empty bowl. The next day, measure the remaining liquid in the bowl and subtract from the original volume. Such observations are carried out for several days, all the data obtained are recorded.
Approximate rates of water consumption by weight of the animal:
Should I worry if my dog starts drinking a lot of water??
If your dog drinks a lot of water and urinates more often than usual, this is a reason to observe the condition of the pet. Measuring the approximate amount of fluid you consume is something you can do at home. The information is useful to the veterinarian to understand if there is really a problem.
What could be the reason that the dog drinks a lot of water and urinates frequently? How can you determine the cause of the problem and how can you solve it? Veterinarian advice.
What to do if your dog drinks a lot of water and urinates a lot?
First of all, the pet must be observed for several days. If the general condition of the dog is normal, it is active, eats well, there are no disorders of the digestive system, then you need to understand what factor influenced the thirst.
- The most common reason when a dog drinks a lot of water and urinates is an uncomfortable temperature regime. In winter, the air in the apartment becomes dry and too warm. Therefore, it is important to humidify the premises with special devices or hang up important towels. Such a measure is useful not only for animals, but also for humans.
- In hot weather, walks are carried out in the early hours or in the late evening, when the peak of high temperatures has subsided. After forced exposure to the sun, the paw pads are watered with cool water. Small and medium-sized breeds can be washed whole under running water at room temperature. It is important that after such procedures, the pet does not lie on a cold floor or a draft.
- You can not scold a dog if she began to write at home, and before that there were no such cases or they were extremely rare. She may not have enough time for a walk to empty her bladder as much as possible. With increased thirst, the volume of urine also increases. In addition, it can be a symptom of certain diseases.
- If the pet is afraid of punishment and will endure, such a long absence of an act of urination can lead to serious consequences. the formation of crystals, cystitis and even kidney pathologies. At home, the animal can wear special diapers, or allocate a place (put a diaper there) so that the dog can urinate there if he cannot wait for a walk.
How to keep your dog hydrated?
For severe illnesses, intravenous infusions are prescribed to maintain fluid balance. The course of such treatment can be from 3 to 7 days. In case of irreversible renal pathologies, infusions are performed subcutaneously and, as a rule, for life. Or, the course of therapy is resumed every time the pet’s condition worsens.
If you plan to transport your pet for a long time, install a special drinker in the carrier that cannot be turned over. During stops, take the animal for a walk to be able to relieve itself. You should not fully feed the dog on the road, this can lead to a bloated stomach. With this pathology, a lethal outcome occurs if measures are not taken in time. Can be fed in small portions of wet food.
When preparing natural diets, do not add salt to the ingredients. The pet must receive the necessary micro- and macroelements from special multivitamin supplements. Commercial feed is completely balanced, with this type of feeding, there should always be enough regular water.
Increased thirst is usually accompanied by increased urination. For a healthy pet, this is normal and the need for fluid depends on many factors. If the dog began to drink a lot of water and at the same time is sluggish, does not eat well. this should alert the owner. It is better to conduct an examination in order to take timely measures in case of a developing disease.