Reasons for intense shedding
Before figuring out what to do if a cat sheds heavily, you need to find out the cause of this problem.
Hair loss is a natural process that occurs in all cats of all ages and breeds. Even sphinxes with a scanty coat are prone to hair renewal.
- Baby shedding. At the age of six months, the kittens’ fur is renewed. It becomes coarser and the undercoat becomes heavier. The color of the fur also changes. The patterns become clear, and some areas of the color points are darkened. This process is also considered natural.
- Seasonality. Seasonality is also the reason for intense molting. Animals change their fur 2 times a year. in autumn and spring. In domestic long-haired pets, this process is more intense in the spring, but in the fall it is not so noticeable. Shorthaired cats change their coat evenly. The duration of the seasonal molt is 2-4 weeks. This period is enough for the pet to acquire a new beautiful fur coat for the season.
- Apartment molt. This concept also exists. Owners often come across apartment shedding. This process takes place regardless of the season. It happens that the pet sheds all year round. The reason is the constant presence in the room, seasonal heating.
- Stress. Cats are very sensitive and susceptible animals. Therefore, stress can be caused by various situations. moving, the appearance of animals in the house, small children, visiting the veterinarian, etc.
- Improper care. Your pet’s fur shampoo may not be right for you. Try changing your product.
- Change of feed. If, after you decide to change the feed manufacturer, you notice that the cat begins to shed heavily, then this may be the problem. If your veterinarian advises you to do this, try introducing new foods gradually.
- Improperly matched brush or infrequent combing.
- Improper nutrition. An unbalanced diet can cause molting. Lack of vitamins and trace elements necessary for the health of a cat leads to an intensive process. Also, make sure your pet’s food contains taurine, an amino acid that is deficient in hair loss. Never put your cat on a mono diet. It is about feeding only meat, or fish, or vegetables.
- Frequent bathing procedures. Just because your cat loves to swim doesn’t mean bathing too often. After all, this does not very well affect the condition of the coat. Hair loses its protective layer, becomes brittle and falls out. Domestic cats do not need to be washed too often. 1-2 times every six months is enough.
- Disease. Digestive problems, bacterial, viral, fungal infections, pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract, skin diseases are often the answer to the question of why a cat sheds heavily (we will find out what to do later).
- Hormonal molting. This phenomenon is typical for cats that the owners did not neutered and did not allow them to mate.
- The cat can lose hair after giving birth, when breastfeeding, with a sharp weaning of kittens.
- Older cats can also cause them to shed heavily.
What to do if your cat sheds heavily
The cat’s thick and shiny coat is a real pride for the owner. However, not all purrs can boast of a beautiful fur coat. In this case, the owner should worry not only about having to vacuum the carpet every day, but also about the health problems of the animal. What to do and what are the reasons that the cat began to shed heavily, how to solve the problem at home, we will find out further.
How to help a cat
If the cat sheds a lot, it doesn’t matter if it is British or Scottish Fold, then you should rather think about what to do and how to help the pet in this situation.
- Brush your pet more often. If the cat has long hair, then it is advisable to comb it every day. Pets with medium length coats should be combed several times a week. And don’t forget to choose the right comb.
- Give your cat a vitamin complex every 6 months. Do not assign them yourself. Please consult a specialist first. The most popular are: Felwit Multi, Kitty’s Taurine-Biotine, Gimpet Katzentabs, Laveta Super, Kitty’s Taurine-Biotine / Proteine / Cheese (vitamin mixture for cats), Dr. ZOO vitamins.
- Switch on the humidifier during heating.
- Now there are various foods that help with intensive shedding. The most popular are: Acana, Applaws, Happy Cat, Brit Care, 1-st Choice.
- If the cat has suffered stress, pay attention to it, pick it up, caress it, praise it. In general, do everything to calm down the pet. If that doesn’t work, see your veterinarian. He will prescribe sedatives to the animal.
Be sure to contact your veterinarian to rule out the development of the disease. If the reason lies in a malfunction of internal organs, skin pathologies, then after they are eliminated, the problem will also disappear.
Scottish fold cat
The Scottish Fold is one of the youngest breeds. She is distinguished by a unique appearance, grace and a very high level of intelligence.
The Scottish Fold is an animal whose main exterior feature is the special shape of the ears. They are bent forward and downward and, according to the canons, should not protrude beyond the contour of the head. Due to their original appearance, representatives of this breed are very popular among cat lovers around the world. Noble disposition and natural playfulness, self-esteem and sincere affection for home and owners create a unique image that distinguishes the Scottish Fold cat.
Size is medium to long. At the base it is wide enough, gradually tapering to a rounded tip. Agile and flexible.
- Breed name: Scottish Fold cat
- Country of origin: UK, Scotland
- Birth time of the breed: 1961
- Weight: 4-7 kg
- Life span: 12-15 years
Widely spaced and round, large in size. An important point. the color of the eyes must match the general color of the animal.
Scottish folds are characterized by a fairly short muscular neck.
The cover is dense, elastic and dense. Due to its high density, it does not adhere to the body of the animal, and it looks fluffy.
And if it’s still a disease?
What to do if the cat sheds heavily in the spring? Some owners mistake skin conditions for traditional shedding. But it is caused by an allergy, either to food, to medicines, or to fungi.
Do not try to heal your pet yourself. Don’t read treatments online. You can only harm. Take the animal to the veterinarian. The veterinary clinic will do all the necessary tests, determine the diagnosis and prescribe the appropriate treatment.
Does the British cat shed too much? What to do? Probably lacking in vitamins in his diet. Then the doctor will select the ones that are necessary for your cat.
Usually, those with pronounced focal lesions are prescribed fairly simple but well-acting vitamins. For example, brewer’s yeast. If all other indicators of the cat are normal, then only two weeks will pass, and you will see how much her hair has improved.
What to do if a cat sheds heavily: 4 reasons and solutions
Hello everyone! Let’s talk about hair loss in cats. what to do? Our furry friends have a slightly different body structure than ours. If a person’s hair loss is a sign of some kind of disturbance in the body, then for cats and cats it is normal.
But, it is normal for your pet to shed no more than twice a year, and the coat change period takes no more than 20-30 days. If this happens more often, or the molting period is delayed, then you should pay attention to the health of your pet.
Consider the possible causes of abnormal shedding in cats, as well as tips for grooming during the natural hair change period.
Scottishfold cat hates water and shower, meowing loudly and tips of giving cats shower
Do Scottish cats shed badly??
Scottish cats molt. over, a Scottish Fold cat sheds no less than a straight-eared cat: it does not depend on the shape of the ears. Semi-long-haired varieties of the Scottish Highland Fold and Highland Straight breed are similar in the amount of shedding hair to Scottish Folds and Scottish Straights, only Scottish straights have short hairs, and therefore fly around the apartment, while in Highlands they are longer and heavier, therefore they often hang on furniture and on clothes, but they do not fly and do not climb into the face.
Molt all year round
There are cat breeds with a thick undercoat. These are, for example, Siberian, British. They shed their fur throughout the year. This is natural for them. Therefore, if during the shedding process nothing bothers you, there are no obvious changes in the fur, then you should not beat the alarm.
However, there are other reasons for this phenomenon. If the cat sheds a lot, what to do in such cases?
Those animals that sit in the apartment all winter, and in the summer they are transported out of town, for example, to the dacha, are distinguished by increased wool growth. It’s warm outside, you can run freely everywhere. Fur and grows. And as soon as they return to the city dwelling, increased hair loss begins.
Take care of your coat
You are a caring hostess. You do everything for the beauty of your mustachioed friend. Do not forget that if washing the cat does not solve the problem (with excessive shedding), then a special conditioner will restore the hair that is damaged. And it will also eliminate dry cat skin, relieve it of flaking.
Thanks to their short hair, Scottish cats (or shorthaired Scottish cats) do not need any complicated care of their fur coat. True, during the period of loss of hairs of cats, it is necessary to comb more often in order to remove dying pieces of wool and give an incentive for the growth of new ones.
In a situation where the cat sheds heavily, “what to do?” Is a very serious question. After all, the kitty licks itself, and can so swallow pieces of wool. Lumps of fur will accumulate in her stomach. The animal may pull out or the accumulated fur will cause a blockage in the intestines.
Be careful when the Scottish cat sheds heavily. What to do? Consult your veterinarian, because the wrong decision can harm your pet.
By the way, feed manufacturers today produce them with such components that they do not allow balls of wool that have entered the cat’s stomach to roll. over, they facilitate their natural excretion from the body. Of course, natural green grass is healthier and more effective. Therefore, in the summer, let your kitty go for a walk and eat plenty of street grass. Or grow it at home.
Reasons for heavy shedding out of season
It happens that the fur of the Scots is thinning regardless of the season. By the appearance of the cat, it becomes visible, there may be bald spots. The following factors appear to be the cause:
- Poor diet, which lacks vitamins or fatty acids.
- Change of children’s fur to an adult.
- Hormonal disbalance.
- Parasitic diseases, leukemia, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, etc.
Lack of certain substances is the most common reason for the molting of an animal. For the Scottish Fold (Scottish Fold) breed, the quality of the feed means more than for other cats. Due to the nature of the breed, calcium supplements are required. Lack of this element is the cause of increased hair loss.
Natural food for a Scottish cat is prepared individually. The food from the owner’s table is not suitable, because it contains salt, spices, etc. It must contain all the necessary micro and macro elements. In addition to the main food, you need to give supplements containing a complex of vitamins.
Lack of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids also leads to hair loss.
Choosing the right diet for cats on your own is difficult and leads to mistakes. Therefore, it is better to purchase ready-made feed. They contain all the necessary elements and do not require additional additives.
Allergies are another common cause of shedding. This condition may be associated with the use of new cosmetics, such as shampoo.
If your kitten is 4-5 months old, then the process of hair loss is a natural phenomenon. During this period, the pet’s fur coat is updated to the fur of an adult animal. more dense, coarse and clearly colored.
It happens that the cat receives all the necessary minerals and fatty acids, but they are not absorbed by the body. This is due to hormonal disruption. disruption of the thyroid gland, adrenal glands, etc. It is necessary to check the work of the organs that produce hormones, especially if there are other signs of the disease. To do this, you need to contact a veterinary clinic.
Increased hair loss is also caused by stress. They can be a loss or change of owner, a fall from a height, a move, physical punishment, the appearance of another family member, and a lack of attention. Exotic cats are sensitive to environmental changes.
If there are severe changes in the hairline, partial baldness or other signs of the disease, you should contact your veterinarian. This is caused by worms and other parasites, numerous diseases.
Complete hair care
When a cat’s fur climbs, you need to take special care of him. We need to bathe the Scotsman more often. Shampoo can cause allergies, so it is better to use an already proven product.
If this is not the case, it is necessary to observe the cat after taking a bath for signs of allergies. It is better to comb out the falling hairs with a glove-brush designed for this. This should be done 1-2 times a day.
The reasons for the appearance of molt
- Seasonal molt occurs. in autumn and spring for one month. It `s naturally;
- Weakened immunity;
- Postponed stress;
- Pregnancy or postpartum period;
- Lack of vitamins and minerals;
- Allergic reaction to a change in the type of food. For example, switching to dry food;
- Infection with one of the types of skin fungi;
- Hormonal disruption due to a missed mating period or the use of hormonal drugs in the treatment of any disease;
- Serious medical condition that can only be diagnosed by a veterinarian.
Beginner cat lovers often panic when their cat begins its first seasonal molt. This usually occurs during the spring and fall. The behavior does not change, the cat is playful, the eyes are healthy and shiny, the nose is wet.
Cats have a very delicate digestion system. Many owners like to feed the pet from their table, and then they are surprised at the cat’s health problems. Human food, flavored with spices and flavors and salt, is contraindicated for a cat, as it causes severe hair loss. dermatitis. Abundant hair loss occurs. The cat’s appetite decreases, it becomes lethargic and inactive.
If this problem occurs, you should put the cat on a diet: lean fish, kidneys, liver, cottage cheese. Give milk twice a week as a separate meal. Requires vitamins C m biotin, vitamins of group B, antiallergic (tavegil or suprastin) and antihelminthic drugs.
Hormonal disturbances are also caused by special drops or tablets for the sexual desire of cats. Such drugs adversely affect the body and lead to diseases of the pet’s internal organs.
Dermatitis also occurs due to the cat’s reaction to a variety of synthetic substances, for example, to the agent with which the owner cleans furniture, aerosols. air fresheners or even indoor plants.
If the hair begins to fall out in patches, round pink bald spots appear on the skin of cats, then you should think about the manifestation of the lichen disease. This disease is caused by species of microscopic fungi. Lichen is highly contagious and affects humans as well.
A cat can also become infected with skin mites. Hair loss is strongly manifested on the face, behind the ears and on the paws, abscesses appear on the skin. Pet hair loss may even occur.
It is imperative to see a doctor. After all, the treatment takes place with toxic drugs and only a specialist can choose them correctly. Skin mites are not dangerous for humans. But the apartment should still be disinfected, and it is advisable to burn the cat’s bedding.
If your cat has been ill with any disease, then there is a decrease in immunity and the coat begins to fall out. It is necessary to purchase special B vitamins for the pet, choose the right diet for the active development of the cat.
Scottish Fold Cats 101. 10 Fum Facts About Domestic Scottish Folds
Scottish cat sheds
In a cat, a cat climbs strongly, hair falls out in clumps constantly, all year round, in summer and winter: reasons
Permanent hair loss can be caused by a variety of reasons. However, they all testify to one thing: not everything is in order with the animal’s body. Let’s consider in order:
Lack of vitamins. The cat’s diet should be balanced. The special food contains a certain amount of vitamins that are necessary for the feline body
If you are feeding your cat natural foods, pay attention to the variety in the diet. Sometimes cats develop allergies or dermatoses due to an unbalanced diet.
Often, the owners suppress the cat’s sex drive with special drugs. In this case, hormonal disruption may occur. Along with hair loss, hormonal imbalance betrays itself according to the following signs: cat apathy, unwillingness to approach a bowl of food, weakness, unusual behavior.
Lichen. Round bald spots appear on the body of the animal, the skin in these places may be reddened or too white, and there may also be scales. A visit to the veterinarian in this case is extremely necessary, since the disease is dangerous, not only the animal suffers, but people can also become infected.
Skin mites and worms. A sign of skin mites is baldness of the face, legs, ears. Pay attention to how often your cat itches. Helminths are also a serious problem, they adversely affect the work of internal organs, externally manifest themselves in the form of dermatoses.
It is a mistake to think that worms or skin mites cannot appear in a cat that does not go outside. Even if the cat does not eat raw meat, it is not a fact that it will not become infected with worms. These parasites can be brought into the house on shoes, on clothes.
Important: Stress can be another cause of hair loss in cats. Like humans, cats are prone to anxiety and overstimulation of the nervous system.
What seems insignificant to humans can be painful for a cat. This includes physical and emotional factors.
- Electric shock;
- Past illnesses.
- Moving to a new location;
- The appearance of new residents in the house (animals or people);
- Loss of the owner;
- Restriction of freedom.
Not necessarily, these or other events can cause hair loss and deterioration of the cat’s condition, but still it is worth paying attention to the nervous shocks of your beloved pet
9 Folk ways
Some feline ailments are successfully treated with folk remedies. No one guarantees that molting will stop immediately, but its causes can be eliminated.
Using medicinal plants, you can try to eliminate the causes of severe molting at home. So, wormwood will drive away external parasites that spoil the cat’s coat and skin.
Adding ordinary egg yolk to food will make up for the missing biotin. But protein should not get along with the yolk, since it interferes with the assimilation of the required substance.
Organize your pet the right diet, add vitamins and mineral supplements necessary for age to a varied diet. Don’t overfeed older kitties.
Be sure to vaccinate your cat against various skin diseases. Prophylactic vaccines will be selected for you by a specialist veterinarian, for each cat they are individual.
Take care of your pet, feed it correctly and comb it regularly, and your beloved cat will delight you with its health and a beautiful fur coat!
The process by which the integuments of animals change is called molting. This happens under the influence of a special hormone, most often in spring and autumn. The owners of such pets must be very observant so as not to miss the moment when your home is completely covered with wool.
1. Give antihelminthic drugs 2. Donate feces for clinical analysis. 3. Donate blood for biochemical analysis. 4. Remove sources of stress 5. Empty the paraanal sinuses 6. Introduce a complex of vitamins into the cat’s diet 7. Show the cat to the doctor.
Excessive discharge of tears from the eye occurs in cats for several reasons:
1. Helminthic invasion. There are worms, which one of the stages of their development take place in the lacrimal sac of the eye. 2. Allergic reaction to a component of the external environment. 3. Eye irritation, such as tobacco smoke.
Most often, cats show aggression when they develop distress.
1. Stress develops with severe pain, with forced contact with a person. The owner often takes the cat in his arms, often strokes it. Children often forcefully touch the cat. 2. New circumstances of the cat’s life. The cat was transported to a new apartment, taken away from the dacha, a new family member appeared in the family. Stress also develops in chronic pain-related illnesses.
Be sure to contact a zoopsychologist.
Cats bite on several occasions:
1. Kittens up to 5 months
they bite due to the hunting instinct, which is genetically inherent in cats. The need to bite in kittens dies down by the age of six months. This is especially true of their owners. The hunting instinct of healthy adult cats does not extend to humans. 2. Adult cats
bite a person when they are under severe chronic stress.
1. Keep the kitten useful and energetic
Everyone knows that representatives of the feline family periodically shed their hair, mostly seasonally. This process is called molting, and it is completely natural, so there is no reason to panic. This article will help you know what to do when a British cat sheds heavily.
What to do?
First of all, watch out for the coat. Wash the cat with shampoos intended for this, comb out and keep in a room with a comfortable temperature. The coat should be smooth and shiny.
When changing these parameters, if the fur is dull and tousled, they immediately pay attention to the nutrition. Is it full and diverse, are all the vitamins and minerals necessary for your pet in different periods of life present?
Indeed, during pregnancy and especially after childbirth, a more carefully selected diet is needed.
Special preparations and complexes are used, which are now abundant in veterinary pharmacies, making the wool delightfully soft and silky.
All possible stress factors are eliminated. Sudden changes in temperature, unexpected loud noises, encounters with other animals.
Even the appearance of strangers in the house can be a cause of excitement. British cats are very attached to their owners and are seriously overwhelmed in the presence of a stranger.
If the above conditions for caring for a British Shorthair cat are met, the owner may not even notice how the seasonal molt went.
If all the necessary precautions are observed, the threatening factors have been eliminated, but the animal continues to lose hair, then you just need to run to the veterinarian in order to prevent more serious consequences for the body of your pet. It is worth starting with the fact that the molting process is a natural physiological manifestation in the life of a pet.
Almost everyone is seasonal. Pets can shed at any time of the year, other felines only change their hair.
It is worth starting with the fact that the molting process is a natural physiological manifestation in the life of a pet. Almost everyone is seasonal. Pets can shed at any time of the year, other felines only change their hair.