The natural diet consists of raw or cooked foods. Three recommendations for sphinxes: a large amount of meat protein, less carbohydrate inclusion, a complete vitamin and mineral complex.
- boiled or raw meat every day. veal, beef, poultry without skin (turkey, chicken), rabbit meat;
- offal. chicken or beef (1-2 times a week);
- oat or buckwheat, rice. 3 times a week;
- boiled cabbage, carrots, zucchini, other vegetables;
- greens and unsweetened fruits;
- egg yolks, unsalted cheese, cottage cheese;
- boiled sea fish fillet. only for Don Sphynxes;
- unrefined vegetable oils.
The main rule is to feed cats only fresh food. If the pet left a part in the plate, then it is thrown away. A new portion is taken for the next meal.
- natural products are cheaper than high quality feed;
- satisfying predatory needs for meat;
- variety of diet;
- the choice of fresh, quality products.
- difficulties in calculating calorie content, nutritional value;
- regular cooking. once every 1-2 days;
- organization of additional intake of vitamins and minerals.
The first complementary feeding is carried out at 1.5–2 months. The introduction of products goes with the simultaneous observation of the pet’s reaction. By the age of one year, there is a complete formation of gustatory habits.
Don Sphynx is a subspecies whose skin is covered with fine short hairs. This creates a plush, velor effect when touched by the cat. Sometimes the fluff may be absent, then the sphinx is considered naked. Animals are characterized by medium size, well-developed muscles.
The breeding was carried out in Russia. The subspecies is widespread, but has appeared recently. Therefore, the Don Sphynxes are distinguished by good health. they rarely suffer from acne, allergies, and digestive disorders. Unpretentiousness in food is also considered a plus. The main thing is not to spoil the pet, but to immediately accustom it to the diet and feeding regimen.
The Canadian Sphynx is a subspecies whose kittens are never born with bare skin. Therefore, they are covered with a light coat (down). Its volume increases with age. These cats are graceful, moderately muscular, of medium size.
The history of the breed begins with kittens in Canada who were born bald. than 50 years have passed since that time, which has left an imprint on the health of animals. Sphynxes are distinguished by sensitive digestion, which is reflected in the choice of food for the pet. Owners often change feed for elderly pets for hypoallergenic, preventive products.
How to feed a Sphynx kitten: a menu by age
Sphynxes are cats that are different from other breeds. Pet feeding should be approached with special attention. The diet in the first months of life will determine the health of an adult cat, since the period is characterized by rapid development, growth, and the establishment of immunity. However, future owners do not always know how to feed a Sphynx kitten.
How to feed a Sphynx kitten
Kittens feed on mother’s milk immediately after birth, but upon transfer, the owner has to introduce new food. Three types of diet:
The choice of what to feed the Sphynx kitten with affects the correct growth and development. The nutrition of the subspecies differs little. The main difference is that the Don Sphynx are sometimes allowed to feed fish with a natural diet.
Important! Cats are primarily carnivores, so a proper diet must include a sufficient amount of protein. Balance ensures the inclusion of other nutrients, vitamins, minerals.
Choosing a place and dishes
The pet’s health and appetite is influenced by both the food itself and the arrangement of the dining corner. The choice of a place and tableware is an important undertaking. It is better to think about this even before purchasing a pet. Recommendations for the feeding area:
- place an easily washable material under the bowls, as you will need to constantly monitor the cleanliness;
- provide free space and access to the place;
- place bowls away from loud household items (washing machine, TV);
- take into account the comfort of the pet. cats do not like to eat when someone is constantly walking nearby, so it is better to arrange a place away from the aisles.
If there are other animals in the house, then feeding areas are arranged for each pet. Your cat will eat poorly without a sense of comfort and safety.
The main requirements for utensils are practicality, safety of materials, convenience. Bowls allowed:
- made of ceramics. easy to clean and wash, do not slip, but can break;
- stainless steel is a good substitute, however, these bowls are only placed on a stand due to the strong sliding.
Porcelain and glassware allowed. It is better not to use plastic bowls, as the remains of food and detergent will accumulate in the cracks. This will lead to the preservation of odors, the growth of bacteria.
Features of the breed
Hairless cats differ from other relatives, this is important to consider when compiling a diet. What makes the sphinxes stand out? Features of the breed:
- Lack of hair. This leads to the frequent appearance of acne or dermatitis. To prevent disorders, it is important to maintain a balance in nutrients and beneficial elements.
- The speed of metabolic processes due to increased energy consumption for heating the body, supporting the immune system, health. For this reason, it is recommended to feed the sphinxes more often, while maintaining a certain calorie and nutritional value of the diet.
- Indiscriminate food. Sphynxes eat whatever comes along, so it is important to monitor the quality of the feed. For example, additives to enhance the taste or aroma of food cause digestive upset.
- A tendency to problems with hormonal levels. Overfeeding leads to a sharp increase in excess weight, which becomes a common cause of problems with the heart and blood vessels.
If the breed has a tendency to disorders and diseases, then this can be easily avoided by creating a balanced diet. This will keep the pet active, increase health, and reduce susceptibility to pathologies.
Often ready-made food is chosen for feeding a pet. Industrial products are now presented in 4 classes: Economy, Premium, Super-premium and Holistic. They differ in the quality of the ingredients, the proportion of meat protein and the price. Veterinarians recommend Premium or Super Premium for feeding sphinxes. Economy class is strictly prohibited for this breed.
How to feed kittens at 1 month: nutritional features of babies
It so happens that some people have a new pet and do not know how to feed a kitten 1 month from birth. The best food for a baby at this time is mother’s milk, which contains everything necessary for health and proper development. But it happens that the owner himself has to take on the role of mother for the kitten and feed him on his own at home.
In the first month of life, the animal does not yet have time to acquire strong immunity and skills for independent life, so food for the baby should be very rich and nutritious. Therefore, if the owner was faced with the question of how to feed a month-old kitten, he needs to familiarize himself with all the nuances in order to raise a healthy cat.
How to feed a month old kitten
Do not be afraid and worry about the baby’s health, the first month of life is a good time to teach the cat to self-feed. He can still drink breast milk, while gradually starting to taste solid foods. If you need to start feeding a kitten left without a mother, you can use the following tips:
How to feed a month old kitten
- Introducing new food. Before you give your pet a new product to try, you need to wet your finger in it and let it lick. If the baby resists, you can smear his face a little with food around his mouth, so he will try it faster.
- To prevent the kitten from suffocating while eating, you need to put a small amount of food in the bowl. It should cover the bottom slightly. You cannot leave a pet alone during a meal, you need constant supervision.
- Dry food should be introduced into the diet gradually so that changing meals does not cause stress. The food is first given soaked in water, each time adding less and less until the animal itself can chew it.
- There should always be a plate of water next to food. Fluid needs to be changed regularly to keep it cool and clean.
- After eating, the plate must be washed and dried so that it does not become source of germs.
- All foods cannot be added to the diet at once. Every day, gradually you need to give something new so that the kitten has time to get used to changing the diet. If the animal is allergic, then this method will help you quickly find out what exactly.
Very young kittens need a full replacement for their mother. She not only feeds the babies, but also crumples her stomach with her paws for 1-2 minutes after lunch, so that the food is absorbed faster. You can do this with your finger, the movements should be smooth and light. You need to massage your tummy 20 minutes after eating. This will make it easier for your baby to go to the toilet.
The constant refusal of food is an alarming sign and a reason for an urgent appeal to the veterinarian. If this happens rarely, you can try to feed the kitten yourself by opening his mouth and putting a piece of food there.
During the day, monthly kittens eat on average 5-6 times. During the day, you need to devote time to feeding every 4 hours so that the babies do not have time to get hungry. They eat often, so they can eat a large amount of food throughout the day.
What foods should not be fed to a kitten
There is a list of products that are contraindicated to feed monthly kittens. These include:
- Ready meals from the table. When we cook for ourselves, we use salt, pepper and other spices that kittens cannot eat. Even adult cats have a hard time eating such food.
- Medicines for humans. Vitamin complexes and medications should not be given without the recommendation of a veterinarian. Medicines must be specialized and appropriate for the animal.
- Sweet. Kittens are attracted by the smell of chocolate and ice cream, and they often start begging. But you cannot indulge their weaknesses and feed them with foods with m sugar. this is harmful to the cardiovascular system of animals.
- Pork and lamb. Pollock and other river fish should not be given from fish products. When eating such food, a kitten increases the risk of contracting an infection.
- Bones. This can be dangerous for the esophagus. Cats can cut themselves or choke if chewed. It is extremely dangerous for kittens to give such food.
- Legumes. Beans and peas are indigestible and cause stomach anxiety due to fermentation processes. For the same reason, kittens should not be given potatoes, even in the form of mashed potatoes.
- Dry and liquid feed of economy class. There is no natural meat in such products; skin scraps, cartilage, bones and other by-products that are harmful to babies are used for their production. In addition, they also contain fragrances that mask the natural odor and are highly addictive.
Thus, the ideal diet for a month-old kitten looks something like this: goat milk or formula diluted with warm water, rice porridge or semolina, boiled egg yolk and puree for baby food.
For the health of your pet, it is enough to devote time and make a competent menu for the first month of life. This will certainly benefit the baby, he will grow up strong, active and will delight his owners for many years.
How to feed a Sphynx cat
Purina Pro Plan Delicate
Complete food for adult cats with sensitive digestion and fastidious food. Manufacturer. France. protein. 40%, fat. 18%. The main protein component is turkey meat, which is source of highly digestible protein. Source of carbohydrates. rice.
Ingredients: turkey, peas, animal fat, fish oil, egg powder, yeast, corn. Contains OPTIRENAL® Complex, which contains Omega fatty acids and the antioxidant arginine, to support kidney health. Enriched with vitamins A, E, C. Oversized croquettes help maintain healthy teeth and oral cavity.
Plus food: normalizes digestion and stool.
Minus feed: the composition contains corn. a product that reduces the cost of feed and causes allergies.
What will you learn from the article
Cats of this breed are naturally hairless, so they have to move a lot to keep warm. To replenish the expended energy, sphinxes eat a lot. They are not picky about food. they can eat almost anything and have no sense of proportion.
The owners of sphinxes have a huge responsibility. they must monitor the diet of their pet, clearly control the composition and dose it. It is also necessary to protect the inquisitive “alien” from the use of unwanted and dangerous foods.
This article will tell you what to feed a Sphynx cat or kitten.
What to look for when buying industrial feed:
- choose dry food for the appropriate age group (kittens, adult cats, elderly animals);
- take into account the physiological state of the animal: lactation, pregnancy, castration;
- study the composition. the first three positions should be occupied by proteins (meat), proteins. at least 26-30%;
- give preference to products of the class “super premium”, “premium” and holistic feed.
Hill`s Science Plan Adult Lamb
Hypoallergenic lamb food made in the USA. Suitable for cats prone to chicken allergy. protein. 32%, fat. 20%.
Ingredients: lamb meat, turkey and chicken flour, animal fat, ground rice, ground corn, taurine, vitamin C. The feed is enriched with vitamin and mineral supplements. Formulated to meet the needs of an adult animal over 1 year of age.
Reduces the risk of urinary tract diseases. Contains an antioxidant complex and Omega-3 fatty acids. Suitable for lactating cats.
Food plus: Can be fed to cats allergic to chicken.
Less feed: contains corn flour.
How to feed a Sphynx kitten
Now that we have reviewed the best food for an adult cat, let’s talk about “hairless” kittens. Small sphinxes are exceptionally mobile, inquisitive and playful. They need more energy for normal development than babies of other breeds to warm their unprotected body.
The first complementary food is introduced into the diet of a kitten at the age of 1 month. It can be semolina porridge or egg yolk.
Sphynx kitten feeding time is something you won’t want to miss
When the kittens are 2 months old, grated boiled beef or chicken breast, calcined cottage cheese are introduced into the diet. Cheese can rarely be given as a delicacy. the sphinxes love it.
Until the baby is 3 months old, the frequency of feeding should be 6 times a day. 25 grams of food per meal. From the same age, boiled and raw meat, herbs, vegetables and fruits are allowed. Particularly mobile kittens need eight feeds. A half-year-old kitten eats less. the number of feedings is reduced to 2-3 times a day, 40-50 grams.
A grown kitten can be fed with ready-made industrial food of the holistic, premium and super premium class. Their composition is completely balanced and adapted for actively growing sphinxes. It is best to choose special brands. for kittens:
- Royal Canin Babycat Instinctive. mousse for kittens up to 4 months;
- Royal Canin Kitten. dry food for kittens from 4 to 12 months;
- Purina Pro Plan Junior Chicken. canned food for kittens with chicken;
- Wahre Liebe “Junge”. dry food for kittens with colostrum;
- Hills Cat Science Plan Kitten Tuna. dry food for kittens with tuna;
- GO! Sensitivity Shine Duck Cat Recipe Limited Ingredient Diet, Grain Free. for kittens and cats with sensitive digestion.
Nutrition for diseases
Sphynxes require a healthier and more balanced diet than other cat breeds. they have a very sensitive digestive system. The slightest disturbance in the diet. diarrhea cannot be avoided.
The main condition of choice is the control of protein levels and the absence of ingredients in the feed that can provoke a stool disorder. If problems with the gastrointestinal tract do arise, replace the food with a special one, having previously consulted with a veterinarian.
- GO Sensitivity Shine;
- 1st Choice;
- Gina Elite Cat Sensitive;
- Josera SensiCat;
- Bozita Feline Funktion Sensitive Diet Stomach;
- Hill’s Science Plan Sensitive Stomach;
- Royal Canin Sensible 33.
Royal Canin Sphynx Adult
Specially developed food for Sphynx cats over 12 months old. Manufacturer. USA or France.
Ingredients: dehydrated poultry, rice, animal fats, wheat, beet pulp, fish oil, yeast, tomato powder, borage oil, marigold extract. source of lutein. protein. 33%, fat. 23%. High-calorie formula meets the energy needs of this breed.
The food is enriched with Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids to support healthy skin. Taurine, DHA and EPA have been added for the normal functioning of the cardiovascular system. The shape and size of the croquettes are adapted to the jaws of the sphinx.
Plus food: the shape of the pellets helps maintain oral and dental hygiene.
Negative feed: Contains wheat and corn. cheap fillers with low nutritional value.
WHAT CAN’T FEED THE SPHINX?
- Raw river fish.
- Fatty pork.
- Salty, smoked, sweet and spicy foods.
- Fish or chicken bones.
- Milk, due to the indigestibility of lactose.
Remember, if you want to see your pet healthy, forget about treats from the table, feeding the cat pasta with meat or porridge with fish.
NATURAL FOOD FOR THE SPHINX
Sphynx feeding on natural food involves:
- dominance of protein, but not fish,
- the presence of carbohydrates, but in smaller quantities,
- a sufficient amount of vitamin base.
If you want to feed your pet only natural food, it is important to include in the diet:
- Beef or poultry (skinless), rabbit. every day.
- Chicken or beef offal. liver, kidneys, lungs, heart. 2 times a week.
- Cereals, cereals (oatmeal, rice, millet). 2-3 times a week.
- Chicken or quail eggs. once a week.
- Vegetables (potatoes, cabbage (only boiled), carrots, zucchini, etc.). 2 times a week.
- Vitamin D, B, B1. every day.
- Cheese (unsalted). once a week.
You can cook minced meat from meat with the addition of cereals and vegetables, make small cutlets, freeze it all in the freezer, so you will have ready-made food for the sphinx for every day.
The recipe for such minced meat for the sphinx is quite simple:
- 1 kg chicken breast, turkey, or lean beef,
- 2 carrots, cabbage or cauliflower,
- 150 g cheese,
- 1 yolk,
- some greenery,
- 1 tablespoon brewer’s yeast,
- 20 drops of vitamin D.
Mix all this, divide into small cutlets and freeze.
WHAT TO FEED Sphynx kittens?
- Up to 1.5 months, a small Sphynx kitten feeds on mother’s milk.
- From 2 months old, the kitten can be mixed with milk mixtures, give cereals, egg yolk, cottage cheese.
- From 3 months old, the kitten’s diet includes grated chicken breast, boiled lean beef, unsalted cheese, boiled vegetables, herbs.
From 3 months, you can already accustom the kitten to ready-made feeds, first soaking them a little in warm boiled water.
- 1-3 months. 6.8 times a day, 20-25 g of food per feeding.
- 4-6 months. 3-2 times a day for 40-50 g.
How to feed an adult sphinx and a kitten?
They say that only people with a delicate sense of taste can fall in love with the Sphynx, while the number of those wishing to acquire these unusual “suede” cats is growing day by day. Despite the fact that the Sphynx, regardless of belonging to the breed, is still a cat, it requires special attention to itself. And one of the important points that future owners should consider is the nutrition of the sphinx.
Because the diet of the Don Sphinx is practically no different from the Canadian Sphynx, we will continue in the article to talk about the sphinxes in general, implying both.
P.S. The only difference in feeding is still there: the Don Sphynxes can sometimes be fed (unlike the Canadian ones) with low-fat boiled sea fish. The fact is that it is in the Don Sphynxes that digestion and immunity are stronger than in Canadian Sphynxes, so they can sometimes be pampered with fish.
IS IT POSSIBLE TO FEED THE SPHINX FROM YOUR TABLE?
In theory, NO. But, unfortunately, in practice, people often feed their pets with any food from the table, as well as foods that are harmful to their health.
Sphynxes, unlike other cats, are almost omnivorous, they can eat sweets, fried meat, fruits, vegetables, plants, including poisonous ones, etc.
At the same time, sphinxes love to eat very much, this is due to their physiology, due to the lack of wool, they have to expend more energy for heat exchange, and this requires more calories.
Any competent breeder of purebred cats will explain that digestion works differently in cats of pure blood than in their street, outbred brethren. Therefore, the correct diet is important.
What does an ordinary cat eat? Mice and birds, the meat of which forms the protein basis of food, and the grains present inside the caught prey. carbohydrate. By-products are presented in nature in their purest form, it is not for nothing that special gourmets eat out the entrails of the victims, leaving the skin, bones and other components intact.
At home, it is quite difficult to recreate the natural balance, although it is possible.
PREPARED SPHINX FOOD. WHAT TO CHOOSE?
It is much easier to organize the feeding of the sphinx on the basis of ready-made feed, but here you should choose brands specializing in the so-called holistic class feed.
When choosing feed from different manufacturers, pay attention to the composition. Meat should be the main ingredient, not cornstarch or soy protein, which are foundational in many widely advertised feeds. The use of quality food contributes to normal digestion, as a result of which the Sphynx:
- does not gain excess weight:
- does not torment the owners with excessive activity of the secretion glands, as a result of which the cat stains things;
- does not suffer from acne.
You can choose any feed from manufacturers that have proven themselves well on the market. these are: Hills, Pronature, Acana, Royal Canin, Innova, Nutro Choise, Eagle Pack.
Below are the answers to the classic questions “WHY NOT?”
Why human food is not suitable for the sphinx?
Because it is not adapted for the digestion of an animal, and assurances that the neighbor’s cat has lived eating porridge for fifteen years does not guarantee the same lifespan of your pet. Given that the sphinxes are an artificially bred breed, their digestive system is especially sensitive.
ADORABLE SPHYNX KITTENS Time Lapse of 1 Month in 8 Minutes
Because fish bones are source of increased amounts of protein and carry the risk of urolithiasis. And the nutrition of the Sphynx in this regard is no different from representatives of other breeds.
Why porridge cannot be present in the diet of purebred cats?
Despite the fact that it is often porridge that forms the basis of pet food, it is not recommended to feed sphinxes and other purebred cats. Heat-treated croup creates an unnecessary burden on the digestive organs of purebred cats.
Why you can’t mix table food and dry food?
Because for their digestion, different levels of acidity of gastric juices are required. And when the cat’s body is directly faced with the need to process different types of products, it fails. Therefore, if the food of the sphinx is organized incorrectly, this can lead to disastrous consequences.
At first glance, it may seem that the sphinx’s nutrition is too complicated, but in practice, you just need to find the most suitable food.
So, no matter how much you want to treat your pet with a treat from the table, before you do this, it is worth remembering about health, the state of which is directly related to the nutrition of the sphinx.
Read more about the types of food by class in our article: Cat food. Veterinarian recommendations.
What you can feed sphinxes: natural food
For normal life, full development and growth, the diet of a Sphynx cat must include certain foods. Therefore, ko6e4ka.ru. will share with you a list of products, thanks to which you can independently create a weekly menu for your pet.
- Every day: frozen raw beef (40 grams) and, of course, filtered or boiled water;
- Three to four times a week: boiled chicken without skin and bones, purchased at a pharmacy, dry brewer’s yeast;
- Two to three times a week: boiled or frozen beef and chicken offal (kidneys, lungs and heart), steamed oatmeal, rice, buckwheat and wheat groats, raw or boiled vegetables and fruits, parsley, spinach;
- Once or twice a week: chicken egg yolk (mixed with something or in pure form), liver, dairy products;
- Once a week: cheese.
A little boiled, marine lean fish is allowed once a week, only when there is a question of how to feed the Don Sphynx. The fact is that this breed is obtained by natural mutation, therefore their immunity is somewhat stronger than other hairless ones. Otherwise, the nutrition of the sphinxes is practically the same.
For strength and natural cleaning of teeth, you can give crackers and once a week boiled or raw chicken neck. To improve digestion, the cat needs vegetable oil, which you can add to cooked food, and green grass, which you can grow on the windowsill, planting oats or wheat.
If the cat has an upset stomach, then I will try to switch only to fermented milk products. But such a diet should not last more than three days. If the disorder persists, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Eating for good or how not to harm
For the happy owners of sphinxes, it is important to know that cats of this breed practically do not suffer from poor appetite. Most of them often eat anything that gets under their paws or interests them. Therefore, it is so important to be extremely careful about what the cat eats. Also, sphinxes have no sense of proportion and are indiscriminate in food. So, let’s summarize what and how to feed the sphinx:
- norm. A well-dosed portion of feed or freshly prepared food;
- mode. This is not only good for the health of the pet, but also convenient for you;
- increased attention. Do not forget that an inquisitive Sphynx, regardless of age, can gnaw or eat a poisonous houseplant, gnaw a bag of powder and much more.
If you do not have time to prepare food for your pet every day, then use the following recipe. Such food is perfect if you do not know what to feed the Canadian Sphynx or any other representative of the hairless fraternity.
- Lean beef or chicken breast ground in a meat grinder (one kilogram);
- 150 grams of lean cheese;
- A couple of carrots, cauliflower or seaweed, herbs. In general, any vegetables your favorite prefers;
- One chicken yolk, can be replaced with three quail;
- Five tablets of ordinary chalk (grind into powder);
- Twenty drops of vitamin D
- One table brewer’s yeast, as vitamin B, B1, B
Make minced meat and freeze in portioned balls, small pancakes, or whole tortillas. Remove, defrost and feed your pet as needed.
What to feed Sphynx kittens
All kittens, without exception, are active, mobile and playful. But Sphynx kittens are also naked, so they need a lot more energy. If a small crumb has settled in your house, then up to three months it needs to be fed at least six times a day, at the rate of 25 g of food per meal. For those who are especially mobile and playful, the number of feedings can be increased to eight. By six months, portions of food increase slightly, and the number of feedings decreases: 2-3 times a day, 40-50g.
How to feed a Sphynx kitten? The diet is slightly different from that of woolly kittens, because Sphynxes need more energy to heat!
The diet of a month-old kitten should only consist of semolina, milk formula, milk and egg yolk. By two months, you need to include in the diet calcined cottage cheese, a little cheese and grated boiled beef or chicken breast (15g or 1 teaspoon). Starting from three months, the kitten can be given boiled and raw meat, dairy products, as well as vegetables, fruits (optional), herbs and vegetable oil.
What to feed the Sphynx: a kitten and an adult
Today the site Koshechka.ru will tell you how to feed the Sphynx: what products should the daily diet of an adult pet and kitten consist of, how many meals are optimal for a given breed, depending on age.
What to feed a Sphynx cat: ready-made food
If you decide to feed your kitty with ready-made food, then you should choose products only from the premium or super premium category. Economy class food contains elements that can harm the health of a pet and a large amount of “empty” substances that swell when entering the stomach and create a feeling of satiety. Zero benefits. The following feeds have proven themselves more than others:
- ROYAL CANIN
- HILLS (Hills)
- INNOVA (Inova)
- NUTRO CHOICE
- EAGLE PACK
- ACANA (Akana)
We hope this article helped you figure out how to feed a Sphynx cat. Indeed, thanks to a complete, balanced diet, your pet will be able to be active, cheerful for many years and give you its affection and warmth.
Bruslik Maria. specially for the site Koshechka.ru
The most important thing to never forget is that kittens and adults should always have clean drinking water in a bowl, especially if the cats are on dry food. In no case should you pour tap water, in extreme cases, you can take boiled, but cooled to room temperature. As an additional source of vitamins for animals, you can grow special cat grass or germinate grain.
Fresh greens will always be useful not only for cleansing the intestines, but also for improving the body as a whole. Ready-made vitamin complexes should be added to food only according to indications and after a recommendation from a veterinarian.
It is also very important to wash the bowls after each feeding of the sphinxes. Food should always be poured into clean dishes only. Also, for animals, it is imperative to assign a place where they will eat. You cannot constantly change it, it will confuse animals.
Animals are usually fed 2 times a day, at the same time: in the morning and in the evening, but it so happens that the sphinxes do not gorge themselves, and therefore they can often be given a small snack or a snack for an afternoon snack.
A little about the features
Don, Canadian and St. Petersburg Sphynxes belong to purebred cats, and therefore they require special care and attention from the owners. And first of all, this applies specifically to nutrition. A properly selected diet of a cat or cat must be balanced, because only then the animals will not have health problems, namely the intestines, immunity and teeth.
With proper feeding, the skin will be healthy, since sphinxes (most of them) do not have hair.
Even while the kitten is very small, it should begin to be accustomed to the food that it will eat all its life. Since a sudden change in feed or diet very often leads to health complications. In general, it is believed that sphinxes are quite unpretentious in their diet, and therefore they do not need an excessive abundance of food. Many cats and cats of this breed can eat everything indiscriminately, but this does not mean at all that they should be fed “from the table”. For animals, in most cases, what people eat is not suitable.
When choosing natural food that the owners prepare on their own, or choosing dry food, it is very important not to forget about the correct dosage. It is also worth “from an early age” to accustom the animal to eat according to the schedule. This is especially true for castrated and sterilized sphinxes, who, eating a balanced diet, will not gain extra pounds.
Details about ready-made feed
Premium food for cats is designed in such a way that in addition to the meat and vegetables they need in the right ratio, they are saturated with all the necessary vitamins and minerals. Premium feed has many benefits.
- Owners do not need to constantly think about what to feed their pet. over, you do not need to spend a lot of time cooking meat, vegetables and cereals, when you can simply pour in the finished feed in the required dosage.
- Dry food helps to normalize digestion, and many lines specially created by manufacturers, for example, for castrated cats, serve as an excellent prevention of Urolithiasis (Urolithiasis), which is very often encountered by sterilized animals. Specially adapted food can be a great way to maintain the health of the sphinx at home.
- Many owners mistakenly believe that dry food can get bored, but this, of course, is not the case. Indeed, today, in addition to dry food, manufacturers also offer wet food in a vacuum, and a variety of canned food. That is why the cat or cat will not get tired of eating food with only beef, because for breakfast they can be given ready-made canned rabbit or tuna.
- The advantage of ready-made feeds is that they take care of the teeth of animals in one way or another. Sphynxes quite often have caries, so they should regularly brush their teeth, but not all cats give in to this therapy, and therefore food that gently cleans enamel can be an excellent prevention for them.
The disadvantages of premium food include their rather high price, but if the cat eats only meat and cereals, then, in general, the costs will be the same. Also, some feeds are addictive in animals, after which it is quite difficult to transfer them to a new feed or diet. However, this applies to budget food, which is generally not recommended for feeding cats.
How to feed the sphinx?
Many owners of sphinxes do not know at all how to feed them properly at home. Which diet is best for them. This article will be useful not only for the owners of sphinxes, but also for those who are just planning to have a kitten, because it should be taught to good food from childhood. Next, let’s take a look at what foods are best for sphinx feeding. We will find out what is better than a regular meal, ready-made food, and also consider foods that are not recommended for felines at any age.
Natural food can also be a staple in the diet of a Sphynx cat or cat. It can also be used to feed small kittens. However, it should be understood here that not all foods that a person eats can be given to cats. It is recommended to feed the Sphynx with homemade food like this.
- Lean meats such as turkey, chicken, young lamb and rabbit. Meat should be given only boiled, fried is completely contraindicated, as well as smoked. Raw chicken meat is also allowed, the main thing is to pre-pour boiling water over it.
- Boiled vegetables must also be in the animal’s diet.
- Porridge (rice, buckwheat and others).
- Boiled eggs (yolk only recommended).
You can add a little oil to boiled porridge. As a treat, cats can be given special croutons, which are not only delicacies, but also gently brush their teeth. It is completely contraindicated to give kittens and adult cats with cats bones, as well as raw fish. You should be especially careful with the fish castrated individuals. She very often provokes the ICD. Bones are not absorbed by the body of domestic cats and cats, and therefore can cause a lot of discomfort to animals.
Also, you should not pamper cats with chocolate and buns, as well as other baked goods. Dishes with salt, pepper and other spices are contraindicated. Milk is best replaced with plain yogurt. Cats should not be fed spoiled food, and all leftover leftovers are best removed immediately.
It is not so difficult to feed sphinxes with natural products at home, the main thing is to immediately exclude products not recommended for cats from the diet, and no problems should arise.
Natural food or prepared food?
Every year, breeders, felinologists and owners ask themselves questions about how to properly feed pets without harming them? Which is better to give preference, natural food or ready-made dry? Of course, almost all professional veterinarians and felinologists agree that it is best to choose ready-made feed. This is due to the fact that they are balanced, and most of them are specially adapted for a particular breed.
Of course, the choice in favor of a particular diet should be made based on the health of the animal, personal preferences and financial capabilities.
Complementary feeding of kittens
You can also feed small kittens with food or natural food that you can prepare yourself. If food is used as food, then it is best to choose premium options that are adapted to the age and weight of the baby. For example, for a month-old kitten, as well as for kittens at 2 and 3 months, the ready-made food is already different, as the babies grow, and their food requirements change.
Natural food. the pros and cons
Before buying a kitten, you need to find out what the owner-breeders fed him. This is very important, because the baby can stubbornly refuse unfamiliar food. This behavior often leads to exhaustion. Kittens are real conservatives when it comes to feeding.
If the breeders have taught the pet to natural products, it is advisable to continue their endeavor. There are positive and negative aspects to a natural diet that should be carefully examined.
Natural food should be close to natural food of cats living in nature. Basically, the diet of wild animals consists of mother’s milk, meat (mice, poultry), bird eggs, fish, grass. Cereals, vegetables, fruits enter the body by accident, occasionally cats try them out of hunger or out of curiosity.
At home, you should follow a natural diet:
It is forbidden to feed the sphinxes with natural dishes from the human table. Salt, sugar, preservatives, spices are added to the products used by people. Cats do not need such additives, so it is harmful for them to eat sausages, sausages, canned meat and fish. Fried foods are also harmful. The main list of prohibited foods includes the following:
- fried cutlets;
- pork in any form. Raw is fraught with helminthiasis, and boiled is too fatty and heavy for the stomach;
- sausages, wieners, sausages;
- chicken bones;
- smoked meat products;
- buns, sweets, cookies, sweets;
- stewed meat, canned fish. They contain too much salt and spices that are unhealthy for the pet;
- fresh milk. Many adult pets develop lactose intolerance, so it is better to refuse milk. It is replaced with fermented milk products, which have no less value for health.
Choice of food
A comparative table of natural and ready-made feed will allow you to evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of each type of feeding (on a mobile table, you can scroll horizontally with your finger):
Special diet of kittens
Bald babies require complementary foods at the age of 1 month. Begin to feed them with semolina porridge, then gradually add grated boiled meat (beef, chicken), egg yolk. At two months, the diet is supplemented with fermented milk products (cottage cheese, kefir).
After reaching 3 months of age, the kitten’s diet can be significantly expanded. The meat should no longer be boiled and chopped; you can offer frozen and cut into slices. The menu is supplemented with plants, vegetables and fruits.
If there is not enough time for cooking, the kitten is transferred to ready-made mixtures (holistic, premium and super-premium categories). It can be special canned food or dry food. Before buying food, you must carefully study the label. check the composition, date of manufacture and expiration date, as well as information about whether the food is suitable for babies. Popular brands of food for Sphynx kittens:
- Purina Pro Plan Junior Chicken;
- Royal Canin Babycat Instinctive for the little ones (up to 4 months);
- Royal Canin Kitten. for older pets (4-12 months);
- GO! Sensitivity Shine Duck Cat Recipe Limited Ingredient Diet, Grain Free. For pets with a sensitive stomach and digestive problems.
Oriental cat kitten
A product is produced for cats in Canada. If you carefully study the label, you can find out that the food is designed not only for adult cats, but also for pregnant cats and kittens.
The food has a high protein (42%), which is necessary for pedigree representatives. The cost of heating the body is paid off by the increased consumption of protein products. Fats in the feed are present in normal amounts (20%). On a mobile table, you can scroll horizontally with your finger:
|turkey and chicken meat||Animal (chicken) fat||potatoes|
|fish (pollock, herring, salmon).|
Additionally, the composition of the production diet includes fruit, vegetable and plant ingredients:
- green peas;
- chicory root;
In addition, the feed contains the daily norm of vitamins, macro- and microelements.
The number of feedings depends on the age of the pet. The younger the baby, the more often it needs to be fed. For example, a baby at two months of age is fed at least 6-8 times a day. this is normal, because he would eat mother’s milk just as often.
From 3 months, the frequency of feeding is reduced to 5-6 times, from 6 months. up to 3 times. Pets over 9 months old will eat well with two feedings.
Sphynxes, due to their bald skin, need increased nutrition. They usually eat whatever is put in a bowl, so the owner must regulate the amount of feed. Excessive passion for food turns into problems with excess weight. Sphynxes should not be overfed to avoid obesity.
How to feed the sphinx
Feeding your pet seems easy at first glance. Cats are true connoisseurs of taste, gourmets who refuse aromatic sausage stuffed with chemicals. And such an exotic breed of cats, like the Sphynx, generally needs a special diet. Bald pets require more calories to maintain a comfortable body temperature than their furry counterparts. A complete menu contributes to the proper development of an unusual kitten.
Change of feed
Even the most expensive and elite food can cause digestive upset in a pet. Stool failure, diarrhea, constipation, a general deterioration in well-being indicate that the body does not accept the proposed food.
The kitten becomes restless, refuses to play with the owner, reluctantly eats. It is necessary to go to the veterinarian and examine the animal. If no objective reasons have been identified, it means that the deterioration is caused by improper nutrition. In this case, it is necessary to change the feed.
They approach the change of diet gradually. Select another feed manufacturer. Some new ones are added to the old pellets and offered to the kitten. Sphynxes are very sensitive to substitution and at first they can sort out the food, choosing the usual.
The replacement process is lengthy, if the cat categorically refuses to eat new food, it is necessary to purchase another one. So, by the method of tests, a complete replacement of the power supply is achieved. You need to be patient, because the pet’s health is in the owner’s hands.