What to do?
First, try changing your pet’s diet. The cat may refuse new, unusual food for her. So a cat that is used to dry food is very reluctant, and sometimes does not eat liquid food at all. You can accustom your cat to a different diet by adding the usual dry food to the new food, gradually reducing and eliminating its amount.
Sometimes the cat will refuse to eat because the food is in dirty dishes. The bowls from which the animal eats should be washed regularly, rinsing with boiling water. The water intended for drinking the animal must also be changed daily. Sometimes the cat does not like the place where its “dining room” is. Try moving the bowl of food to a different location. If all these measures were unsuccessful, seek an answer from your veterinarian. Chances are your cat is sick.
Doesn’t eat or drink and burps
If the cat’s vomit opens after eating, then you overfeed it. In this case, no treatment is required. If vomiting is not associated with food intake and occurs several times a day, then there is a suspicion that the cat has fallen ill. As a rule, these can be diseases caused by impaired kidney or liver. If she is often nauseous, she lies a lot and vomiting does not stop, it is worth taking her to the veterinarian.
If the cat is sluggish
These symptoms indicate the onset of a disease. Which one can only be determined by a veterinarian.
Doesn’t drink milk
Milk is not as good for a cat as it is commonly believed. It is much more useful to include cottage cheese and fermented milk products in the cat’s diet. It’s another matter if the cat previously loved milk, but now refuses milk and food in general. This is where the veterinarian should help.
What does it mean?
If the cat refuses to eat and drink, but at the same time vigorous and mobile, then for 3 days you can safely observe its condition. There is no cause for concern. Perhaps the animal simply does not like food that is “healthy” and “tasty”, in the opinion of its owner. A cat’s lack of appetite may also indicate the onset of a disease.
In any case, an accurate diagnosis, based on the results of a clinical examination, can only be made by a veterinarian. According to the symptoms “the cat does not eat or drink”, an unambiguous answer about the health of your pet can only be given by a psychic.
If the cat does not eat or drink
Without harm to health, a cat can do without food (but not water) for up to 2-3 days. The reasons for such inappropriate behavior may be hormonal changes in the animal’s body or a stressful situation that it has suffered.
If the cat does not eat or drink and purrs
Try changing the animal’s diet. A cat can make purring sounds both when something bothers her, and from pleasure. In this case, it is better to play it safe and seek help from a veterinarian.
How can you help an old cat if she does not eat anything, only drinks water and sleeps?
Unfortunately, our pets don’t last forever. The withering of the feline body is accompanied by unpleasant phenomena. An old cat needs the help of its owner to get through this inevitable period more easily. How does the aging process occur in these animals? At what age does it start? Why does an old cat eat poorly and move a little? How to help an elderly pet if he refuses food and water and has lost a lot of weight?
What is the reason for the decrease or loss of motor activity?
Decreased physical activity is one of the typical manifestations of old age. Being young, full of strength and energy, the pet could tirelessly rush around the house, jump on closets, readily get involved in various adventures, and be keenly interested in the affairs of the inhabitants of the dwelling. In old age, all this no longer interests him. Now he is more attracted to the nap on a warm couch.
This is normal, because the slowdown of all processes in the body leads to a decrease in physical activity. An elderly cat gets tired quickly, he simply does not have the strength to frolic as before. However, the complete loss of mobility is a wake-up call. It can be a consequence of diseases and pathological conditions characteristic of older cats (arthritis, osteophytes, osteoporosis). If at the same time the cat stops eating, but only drinks water, looks depressed, meows plaintively, it should be immediately shown to the veterinarian.
Why do older animals lose their appetite??
The fact that an elderly pet does not eat much is a concern for most cat owners. However, as a rule, this is normal and there is no cause for concern. When these animals start aging processes in their bodies, their perception of the taste and smell of food dulls. In addition, the ability to assimilate it deteriorates in four-legged “pensioners”.
In older cats, the condition of the teeth and gums often deteriorates. Inflammation in the oral cavity leads to the fact that the pet tries to eat less or refuses food altogether. At the same time, he is very thin and looks emaciated. In this situation, at the first opportunity, show the four-legged pet to the veterinarian, who will select a new diet for the animal, consisting of ready-made food or self-prepared dishes that do not cause discomfort to the cat when eaten, forcing him to refuse to eat.
How cats age, at what age does the process begin?
A cat’s life is shorter than a human one. There is an opinion that 1 year of a cat’s life corresponds to 7 years of a person’s life. However, if we compare the age at which these animals reach sexual maturity, and their total life expectancy, an average of 15 years, it becomes obvious that a linear relationship is not observed in this case.
An old cat or a cat can be considered from 11-12 years old. After 15, the pet develops diseases characteristic of old age. In the course of studies of the organs of the gastrointestinal tract of these animals, it was revealed that the extinction of their individual functions begins as early as 7-8 years. That is why these numbers are indicated on feeds intended for aging animals.
Aging is a set of destructive changes in cells and tissues that increase the risk of cell death, subsequent tissue destruction and, ultimately, death of a living being. Features of the course of this process depend on many factors: heredity, malformations, diseases, the influence of external unfavorable factors. In cats, the processes of withering of the body are accompanied by a decrease in interest in food, physical activity, speed of mental reactions, the ability to adapt to changes, muscle mass.
This process in itself is not a disease, however, it leads to a deterioration in the state of internal organs, depletion of the body’s reserves, a decrease in regeneration, making the animal more susceptible to disease. Studies have shown that aging-related pathologies develop in felines by about 11.9 years of age (± 2).
In an aging pet, the skin becomes less elastic, the functions of the immune system weaken, and its reaction to the influence of negative factors slows down. His body is changing, which is associated with a decrease in muscle mass and disruption of the digestive system in terms of absorption and assimilation of nutrients.
As cats age, the perception of taste and smell dulls, and the body’s ability to regulate glucose levels deteriorates. Older animals also lose activity and cognitive function, so they sleep much longer than in youth and are less adaptable to change. Withering of the feline body can be accompanied by serious deterioration and even complete loss of vision and hearing.
The most common problems faced by older pet owners are:
- Urinary incontinence. The first thing to do in this situation is to examine the pet to exclude urolithiasis. If he is clinically healthy, he will have to focus on taking better care of the animal.
- Constipation or diarrhea due to disturbance of intestinal motility. To normalize the process of its emptying, a diet is required, which will be developed by a veterinarian.
- Graying of mustache and hair on the body or muzzle.
- Deterioration of the coat. It can become oily or, on the contrary, dry, take on an unkempt, disheveled appearance.
- Brittle or thickened claws.
- Discoordination of movements. Elderly cats move stiffly, lose the ability to jump, and are carried away when cornering.
What to do if the old pet does not eat and is losing weight?
If an elderly four-legged pet does not eat anything, but only drinks water or refuses it, this will inevitably affect its weight. A waiting position in this situation is not permissible, since the animal can die at any moment from exhaustion or dehydration of the body. You can try to get your pet interested in a treat. The dish offered to him should be fragrant, preferably with gravy. Not only its smell is important, but also its appearance.
It is possible that the cat refuses food, but only drinks water, has led to some disease, such as inflammation of the gums or disruption of the organs of the gastrointestinal tract. In this case, it will be possible to solve this problem with the help of veterinary drugs. However, if the cat is very old (for example, he is already 18 years old), you must be prepared for the fact that his days are numbered, and the veterinarian will offer to put him to sleep.
The cat does not eat or drink: what to do
Refusal of food and water in cats is usually accompanied by vomiting and changes in stool. And it can be both constipation and diarrhea. Both situations are not the most pleasant, because the health problems of the cat are obvious. True, there are situations when you don’t have to worry about your pet’s health.
Heat in cats is accompanied not only by refusal to eat, but also by vomiting. In this case, the cat can vomit quite often during the day and it will be both gastric juice and foam. Since characteristic persistent screams are added to vomiting and refusal to eat, it is not a problem to understand that the cat is in heat. In cats, estrus manifests itself with similar symptoms, only loud meows can not always be heard.
A pregnant cat can also refuse food. Toxicosis during pregnancy is experienced not only by people, but also by animals. Therefore, if you see that the cat is vomiting and does not want to eat, but at the same time drinks water and regularly goes to the toilet, wait a couple of days. The animal will normally endure a small hunger strike, and when the toxicosis is over, the cat will start eating its favorite food again.
However, it is much more common for a cat to stop eating and drinking due to illness. And there can be a lot of such reasons. Animals that eat raw meat may have worms. Also, do not forget about the possibility of poisoning, liver dysfunction and even a viral infection.
Worms are dangerous to animals, especially kittens. With severe intestinal worms, kittens do not receive the required amount of nutrients for growth and development. As a result, the animal dies, and the usual helminthiasis became the cause. Signs that the kitten has worms can be: vomiting, diarrhea, refusal to eat and water, high fever. If you picked up a kitten or feed the animal raw meat or fish, be sure to give the animal medicine for worms.
Improper nutrition, or rather, mixing natural food and feed, as well as the ingress of a foreign body into the stomach (you do not know what the cat could have swallowed) can cause intestinal obstruction. This ailment is characterized by the following symptoms:
- increased vomiting;
- poor appetite and complete refusal to eat and water (drinking also leads to vomiting);
- lack of a chair;
- deterioration of the general condition of the animal;
- severely enlarged and painful belly.
Intestinal obstruction must be confirmed with a barium x-ray as a contrast agent. If the diagnosis is confirmed, surgery will save your animal.
In case of obstruction, in no case give the animal an enema, as it can lead to rupture of the intestines. Also, do not give the cat antiemetics and forcefully water and feed her.
Infectious diseases are very difficult for animals to carry. The disease progresses rapidly and it is not always possible to treat it. Only a veterinarian can diagnose this or that disease, therefore, with a high temperature, general lethargy, diarrhea or constipation, refusal to eat and water, it is necessary to call a veterinarian at home. After blood tests, you can determine the cause of your animal’s condition.
Only a veterinarian can prescribe certain drugs, as well as a dropper after studying the tests. So, glucose cannot be used unless blood tests have been done. Saline or Ringer’s solution is necessary in case of dehydration so that the kidneys do not suffer. Revealing dehydration is very simple: pull back the skin at the withers. When dehydrated, the skin does not immediately return to its normal position.
In any case, if your animal shows signs of illness, you should contact your veterinarian. Do not delay the treatment, because the diseases progress very quickly in cats, and if nothing is done, the animal will not live even a week.
Help at home
If your cat is not eating, then you can help her yourself if the reasons for the lack of appetite are already established. First, you need to conduct a thorough examination of the animal, and, perhaps, you will find symptoms of a different nature. Then you need to go to the veterinarian, and the sooner the better.
In order to prevent dehydration of the feline body, you can use special drugs, however, this can only be done after consulting a specialist.
If the kitten does not drink water and completely refuses to eat, then you can increase the feeling of hunger using a time-tested technique. You just need to warm up the food so that its aroma intensifies, and then feed the pet from your hands.
It is also important not to overdo it with heated food, as food that is too hot can burn the cat or irritate the gastrointestinal tract.
It so happens that the cat does not eat, and the veterinarian prescribes a special diet for him. Often the animal refuses food at the very beginning. In order to prevent the cat from losing its appetite, it is necessary to mix the new food with the one that she ate earlier. Then the likelihood that the animal will accept the modified diet with pleasure increases significantly.
Also, you should pay attention to vaccinating your cat, even if it is completely healthy. This significantly reduces the risk of developing problems, such as if the cat does not eat, or the kitten does not eat, and various diseases, including those transmitted to humans.
If the kitten does not drink water, then you should gently but firmly pour some food and water into it. This is where infant formula can be helpful. The finished mixture should be poured into the cat in an amount of ten grams every two to three hours. She should eat about 70-80 grams of food. This is half of the animal’s normal daily diet.
Pay attention to stools: if your cat has problems with bowel movements, then it is better to increase the feeding dose. Experts advise pouring in as much clean water as possible to your pet.
The cat does not eat anything: causes and methods of treatment
There are times when a cat does not eat or drink, and there is no particular reason for this. In medicine, this concept is called anorexia: then the cat does not eat and loses its appetite. Appetite, on the other hand, is a psychological phenomenon, and in many ways it is determined by associations and memories. If we compare appetite and hunger, then the latter, on the contrary, has a physiological origin.
Causes of loss of appetite
There can be many reasons why the kitten does not eat anything. Lack of appetite is often the first sign of illness. Often these are diseases of the digestive system or other vital organs. It so happens that severe pain becomes a factor in loss of appetite.
Lack of appetite is often associated with a cat’s first estrus. Then she begins to get acquainted with new urges, which often leads to some confusion. In this case, everything should return to normal in a few days, and you should not worry about this.
Also, if the kitten does not eat, then such symptoms can be a manifestation of infectious and neurological diseases and invasions (worms). Whatever it was, but taking special drugs against parasites is necessary for every cat, even for preventive purposes.
If, along with a loss of appetite, vomiting can be noticed in a cat, then these are clear signs of an accumulation of hair in the animal’s stomach. It gets into the intestines while the cat licks itself, and this is especially true for long-haired breeds. It is better to use a special agent in the form of a paste, which is the prevention of hair accumulation in the body.
Diseases that provoke loss of appetite in cats:
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- liver disease;
- pancreatic diseases;
- diseases of the genitourinary system;
- blood diseases;
- diseases of the throat, nose, eyes, mouth.
But do not immediately sound the alarm, as there may be other, less dangerous reasons for a sharp decrease in the cat’s appetite. For example, she may simply not like the new food, or you have changed your place of residence, which has become severe stress for the animal. But in any case, regardless of the reason, if the cat does not eat anything for more than a day, then it can be harmful to her body.
How to deal with the problem
If your cat is not eating, then you need to know what to do in this situation. Since there can be many reasons for loss of appetite, it is better to contact a veterinarian who will conduct a high-quality diagnosis and help determine why this is happening. It includes the following steps:
- complex examination: examination of the oral cavity, listening to the animal, probing the abdominal cavity, assessing the weight of the cat and checking the body temperature;
- a general blood test and urinalysis, which helps to determine the hidden diseases of the animal’s organs;
- chest and abdominal x-rays;
- stool analysis to help identify the presence of parasites.
After making the correct diagnosis, the specialist prescribes a specific or supportive treatment.
The essence of specific treatment is to eliminate the causes that led to the problem. This, for example, the appointment of antibiotics to fight infection or surgery in the case of a foreign body in the cat’s body.
Supportive treatment helps to maintain the condition of the weakened body of the animal. This, for example, subcutaneous or infusion therapy, which helps to stimulate the cat’s appetite.
What to do if the kitten doesn’t want to drink
If the kitten does not drink water, then the reasons for this can also be very different, for example, insufficient cleanliness of the bowl or the liquid itself. Cats are finicky creatures, and they are unlikely to eat or drink from unclean dishes. The water bowl must be rinsed every day, scalded with boiling water and completely replaced.
In addition, the kitten may not like the bowl itself, intended for drinking water, or the place where it is located. The best option is a special ceramic bowl or even an ordinary human saucer. Bowls made of metal or plastic can be used, however, not all cats like them.
The container should be placed in the most comfortable place for the animal, not far from the food bowl. It is important that there is always cleanliness around her, there is no unpleasant smell and spilled puddles. all this contributes to the loss of the kitten’s interest in drinking.
If you have already taken all the necessary measures, however, the kitten still drinks very little, then try to artificially increase its interest in water. For example, you can place several bowls of water in the house, preferably in those places where the kitten is most often.
Many cats are attracted by exceptionally bright, unusual and interesting bowls. Aids such as drinking fountains may also be helpful.
Of course, no one better than a qualified professional can help your cat in this situation. The sooner you contact him, the more chances the animal has of a successful recovery and the return of normal appetite. The doctor will conduct all the necessary tests and prescribe the correct treatment.
Why doesn’t the cat eat
In simple words, the animal is hot and does not want to eat. This happens in summer in hot weather or in winter in apartments with centralized heating. Your pet is lethargic, lies all the time, does not want to do anything, eats badly, but drinks a lot.
In case of unbearable heat, the cat may not eat from days to three, and in between, eat in small portions. This is normal, because the more the cat eats, the more heat it will generate as it digests food, and it will be more difficult for the cat to cope with the heat.
The owner shouldn’t be worried. The main thing is that the cat always has enough fresh water.
Consequences of anesthesia
In the postoperative period, cats may not network for up to two days. This is a consequence of the action of drugs that induce narcotic sleep. They relax all bodily functions. This especially affects the motor and digestive functions.
In addition, the swallowing reflex is impaired. Appetite returns on its own 5-8 hours after complete recovery from anesthesia.
Cats are not less stressed, and perhaps even more, people. Moving to a new place of residence, a new bowl, rearrangement in a room, renovation, a business trip of the owner or mood swings of the hostess are all stressful situations for the animal.
Even the arrival of guests or a quarrel between family members can affect the well-being of the cat.
During stress, the cat is not active, she has an apathetic mood, she does not want to play with the owner, she eats badly or refuses to eat at all. In such a situation, you do not need to force the animal to eat, refusing to eat for a couple of days is the norm.
Increased attention to the cat by family members, affectionate treatment, new toys help in stressful situations. In severe cases, consultation with a veterinarian is necessary, who can prescribe sedatives to the animal.
But, be careful: the beginning of the disease can be the cause of stress.
Fleas and worms have a serious negative effect on the cat’s body. The discomfort they cause can be one of the reasons for loss of appetite. In order to prevent this, it is necessary to regularly carry out antiparasitic treatment of the animal and monitor the cleanliness of the home. Vomiting and diarrhea, which appeared simultaneously with loss of appetite, also indicate the possible presence of helminths.
Hormones released in the cat’s body before estrus can affect the animal’s appetite. Especially sensitive cats lose their appetite a week before estrus and spend all their energy on sleep and loud meows calling for a partner.
Appetite may return with the onset of estrus or only after its end. It happens that a cat refuses to eat for several days if a “walking” kitty lives in the neighborhood.
Animals that are too violently going through the period of sexual heat are recommended to be shown to the veterinarian in order for him to examine the hormonal background of the animal. Your doctor may recommend neutering or spaying your pet after this test.
How much a cat can not eat, why fasting is dangerous
These are approximate terms, taking into account the fact that the animal drinks enough these days. Prolonged fasting or fasting while refusing to drink is life-threatening for your pet.
A kitten under the age of 6 months can die within a day after fasting, so if the kitten does not eat, it must be force-fed.
In addition to the danger of death, refusing to eat can provoke the following health problems:
- severe weight loss;
- exacerbation of any chronic diseases;
The amount of water per day for the animal
In addition to complete proteins, fats and carbohydrates, the animal must receive water daily. It is necessary for a cat as a natural solvent of nutrients that have entered the body, for neutralizing and removing metabolic products, as an integral component for many biochemical processes in the body. The role of water in the processes of thermoregulation, hematopoiesis, respiration is important.
With insufficient intake of fluid in the body, a failure occurs in acid-base balance, metabolic processes, especially mineral ones, are disrupted. Chronic dehydration is the cause of the development of urolithiasis, heart disease, liver and kidney disease. A cat can live without water from three to five days, depending on the state of health and external factors.
There is no specific figure for the consumption rate of a domestic cat. The thirst of an animal is a purely individual thing and depends on a number of factors: age, type of feeding, lifestyle, conditions of detention, time of year. Young and active cats consume more fluids than older cats and domestic plovers. The demand for water increases during the hot season. Increased thirst is observed in pets consuming dry food.
If the cat does not drink enough water, what to do in this situation? First of all, owners need to understand whether the animal really consumes little liquid. To control water consumption, experts recommend adhering to the following formula: the weight of the animal in grams should be multiplied by a factor of 0.03.
For a rough estimate of the cat’s water supply, veterinarians advise the following proportion: for each kilogram of weight, there should be from 20 to 40 ml of liquid. Thus, if the animal weighs 3 kg, then the water requirement is approximately 100 ml. The calculation is complicated by the fact that these 100 ml include not only pure drinking water, but also liquid from wet food, vegetables, milk, etc.
Veterinarians recommend testing your pet for fluid intake every three months. To do this, for three days in a row, it is necessary to place containers with water around the apartment, having previously measured its amount. At the end of the day, you should count the liquid you drink, making a small allowance for the evaporation process.
Then you should calculate the arithmetic mean for 3 days. This test gives an idea of the pet’s fluid intake. Decreased or, conversely, increased thirst. a reason for going to a veterinary clinic.
If the animal eats dry food, then the question of the amount of moisture consumed is important. In this case, experts believe that the amount of water should be 2.5 times the amount of dry food eaten. For example, if the rate of dry food is 90 grams, then the rate of water should be at least 225 ml. Only in this case, the concentrated type of feeding will not harm the animal.
We recommend that you read about what to do if your cat is poisoned. You will learn about the types of poisoning in animals, symptoms and signs, diagnosis and treatment.
And here is more about how to help a cat after poisoning.
The reasons why the cat does not drink water, and what the owner should do in such a situation
The manifestation of care and love for your fluffy beauty is not limited only to full-fledged feeding and competent care. Not the least role in maintaining the health and vitality of the animal has a drinking regimen. Therefore, when the owner notices that the cat is not drinking water, what to do is a major concern. In this situation, it is important not only to understand the reason for this behavior, but also to take measures to prevent dehydration in the pet.
Reasons for refusing to drink
Zoologists point out that the reason why a cat does not drink water is a genetic predisposition to low fluid intake. The ancestors of modern animals were the savannah representatives of the feline genus inhabiting arid areas. In addition, pets practically do not sweat and, in the absence of water, are able to reverse filter it from concentrated urine. This ability often leads to the development of kidney pathology in the form of stone formation. Therefore, it is important for the owner to monitor the pet’s fluid intake.
Therefore, if the owner feeds the animal with natural products or ready-made wet canned food, then he often notices that the cat is drinking a little liquid. There is no cause for concern in this situation.
The reason for refusing water can be that it is stale, has foreign odors, or is contaminated with something. Being very tidy and finicky creatures, cats may refuse to drink water that does not meet their needs.
When to worry
The very unwillingness to drink by the cat should alert the owner. Chronic dehydration leads to a violation of the biochemical parameters of the blood, disruption of the kidneys and heart.
In the event that, in addition to the lack of thirst, the pet has other symptoms, the owner should not hesitate to visit the veterinarian.
If the cat’s temperature rises, vomiting and diarrhea are present, while water consumption is reduced, help should be provided immediately. Rapidly developing dehydration can not only seriously undermine the health of the cat, but also lead to death in a short time.
In this regard, if a reduced thirst is found in an animal, the owner should find out the reasons for this phenomenon and take measures to prevent dehydration.
The opposite effect. increased thirst. should also alert. This phenomenon can be a sign of the development of diabetes mellitus, kidney pathology, hormonal imbalance, as well as a febrile state in case of an infectious disease.
Methods to get your pet to drink more water
If the cat does not drink water, what should the owner do to prevent the development of dehydration? First of all, it is necessary to establish the cause of this phenomenon. When serious pathologies have been ruled out after a visit to the veterinarian, the owner can take the following methods and tricks:
- Bowls of water and food should be placed at a considerable distance from each other. The wild ancestors of modern cats will not drink water from a natural reservoir located near the place where the victim has just been killed. The source may be contaminated and unsafe for health.
Such an ancient instinct for self-preservation is inherent in modern animals. You can place bowls of water throughout the room and experimentally find out where the cat is more comfortable to drink.
- The water should be changed at least 2 times a day. In this case, use only filtered bottled water. Boiling is not always to the taste of the animal, hard tap water often leads to the development of urolithiasis.
- If the reason why the cat does not drink water at all is his dislike of stagnant water in a bowl or bowl, you should purchase a special fountain for the pet, powered by the network. The animal will appreciate this type of drinker. Almost all such devices are equipped with a water purification and filtration system.
- In the event that the pet is not so picky, they will help to solve the problem of bowls and containers of different depths and diameters. Some animals prefer to drink only from wide bowls, others choose large basins.
- Throwing an ice cube into the water can heighten interest in water consumption. Naturally curious, a cat will certainly take an interest in an unfamiliar subject.
- Experienced breeders recommend adding a pinch of baking soda to the water. some cats are happy to start drinking this liquid.
To learn how to make an autodrinker for a cat with your own hands, see this
Understanding the problem of rationed drinking water consumption by a pet is a competent prevention of dehydration and health problems. If the cat drinks little water, the veterinarian will tell you what to do in such a situation after examining the animal. If no abnormalities are found on the health side, then the use of tricks and special devices will increase the cat’s interest in liquid.
When you can’t postpone your visit to the doctor
If within three days the cat’s appetite is not restored and she refuses to drink, then an urgent need to consult a doctor, as there is a high risk of dehydration. It is also important to visit a specialist if the animal has any of the following symptoms:
- hair loss;
- loose stools;
- high temperature;
Attention! The owners should be alerted if their pet hides all the time and avoids contact. This may indicate a severe pathological process in the body.
Why a cat doesn’t eat or drink for several days
A pet may refuse food and water for a number of factors. The most common cause is poor health. This is possible under stress, which is associated with a sudden change of scenery, renovations, noisy parties, etc. Cats are very sensitive to any changes, so the body can react in this way.
In some cases, unpalatable food is the provocateur of the problem. If there has been a sharp change in diet, then the pet may not react to this in the best way. Especially if the feed is cheap and of poor quality. In this case, the problem can be solved very simply. you need to return to your usual diet.
A stressed cat may not eat or drink for several days.
Kittens may refuse food and water due to gastrointestinal disorders. The fact is that a small pet has a weak immune system, and any error in the diet can provoke disturbances in the digestive function, which is accompanied by poor appetite and loose stools. Additional factors: subcutaneous ticks, fleas and other parasitic infections.
Attention! If the pet does not want to eat and does not drink, then first of all you need to look at the coat and skin, which should be normally clean. Then you need to pay attention to the cat’s nose. If it is wet, then the temperature is within normal limits.
A sick animal may refuse food and water during the period of exacerbation of the inflammatory process, since the body is struggling with pathology. Such abstinence from food often does not exceed several days. Additionally, the pet’s body temperature may rise. After the disappearance of the fever, appetite is quickly restored. In this case, it is important to find out which disease triggered the onset of symptoms.
A sick cat is often lethargic, refuses water and food
An old cat may lose appetite due to inflammatory diseases of the urinary system. Gradually, the animal accumulates salt crystals in urine (this is associated with an abundance of sodium in dry food), which provokes the appearance of calculi, which can clog the urinary ducts. An additional reason is inflammation of the gums, since the teeth of an old pet often crumble and fall out, which contributes to the occurrence of periodontitis, gingivitis and other similar pathologies.
Older cats are often prone to inflammatory gum disease
Poisoning is one of the common causes of loss of appetite and refusal to drink. This can happen at any age. A cat can be poisoned by some kind of chemical, licking it off the floor, as well as poisonous plants, stale food, insects. Intoxication is often accompanied by refusal to eat, water, fever, loose stools, and vomiting.
Another reason that the pet suddenly began to abstain from food may be a foreign body stuck in the throat. In this case, the animal behaves strangely, hides, it is nauseous, the cat can also wheeze, trying to push the object out.
What to do if your pet doesn’t eat, drink, and sleeps all the time
If the animal does not eat or drink, and also constantly sleeps, then this is an alarming signal of serious health problems. However, in extremely rare cases, this is associated with stress. In this case, the pet should be left alone and allowed to rest. There is no danger of being inactive after stress. If the animal is lethargic, does not eat or drink for another reason, then it is dangerous to postpone the visit to the doctor, since in case of serious pathology, the cat may die.
Some recommendations to help you hold out until the doctor arrives:
- It is necessary to ensure that fresh air enters the room.
- Do not disturb the pet. If there are other animals in the house, then for the sake of safety, it is better to isolate them from contact with a sick cat.
- Ensure that the water in the bowl is always clean.
- If the house has a special medicinal herb for cats, which breeders often grow in pots, then you can pick a little and put it next to the pet. If desired, the animal can be treated with such a safe remedy.
Attention! If the cat does not drink for more than 24 hours, then this can provoke death. In this case, water must be injected forcibly using a thin syringe without a needle, gradually pouring into the mouth.
What diseases can cause
The following diseases can provoke loss of appetite and refusal of water in cats:
- malignant tumors. for a long time they can be asymptomatic, most often they affect old animals, which at the same time begin to rapidly lose weight and prefer a sedentary lifestyle;
- renal failure. can occur in a pet at any age, while the cat rarely goes to the toilet, urine is released in small quantities;
- helminthic infestations are a common cause of loss of appetite in an animal at any age; additionally, symptoms such as stool disturbances, weight loss, hair loss, vomiting, etc. are often present;
- fungal diseases. accompanied by a deterioration in appetite, refusal of water, hair loss, skin rashes, itching and a general unsatisfactory condition in which the cat refrains from outdoor games;
- intestinal obstruction. can be the result of stuck hairballs, helminthic invasion, while the pet does not go to the toilet, tries to hide.
Fungal diseases in cats can cause poor appetite
Cats may refuse food and water during estrus, which is associated with hormonal changes in the body. Typically, appetite is restored within a few days.
A friend’s cat suddenly lost his appetite, he drank very little. At first she thought it had something to do with the intense heat. Then the cat began to hide and lost a lot of weight. When I came to visit her and called the pet, he came out of the hiding place. He was terribly thin, could barely sit. Suddenly I found a sore on his withers and a lack of hair in this place. I advised you to immediately contact the veterinarian, as I suspected the presence of a tick. I recommend that you carefully examine your pets when appetite deteriorates and when you refuse water. The provoking factors are not always as harmless as they might seem at first glance. Now the cat has almost completely recovered, but long-term therapy is still required.
How and how to help the animal
If the cat refuses food and water, then the first thing to do is to show the pet to the veterinarian. It is not possible to make a diagnosis on your own at home, so you need to call a doctor at home or take your pet to the clinic.
If it is unrealistic to get to the veterinarian in the next 24 hours, then it is necessary to provide the cat with peace. To do this, prepare a clean bedding, it should not be too soft or too hard. If the animal is hiding, then you should not pull it out of the shelter by force. You can only put a bowl of food and fresh water next to it.
Bowls of water and food should always be available for the animal.
In no case should you try to give your pet any medications without first consulting a doctor. Otherwise, you can only harm and provoke life-threatening consequences.
If the doctor has determined the cause, then you should adhere to the recommendations of a specialist and give medicines according to instructions in the required dosages. This should be done calmly, you should not hurt the animal. Before giving the medication, the cat needs to be stroked, while the tone of voice should be calm. Thus, the pet will better tolerate the treatment, will not resist much and will recover faster.
- If stress is the cause, then the cat should be left alone for a while. It is advisable to call her to eat in a gentle tone. A calm and quiet environment, absence of extraneous noise and occasional stroking will help to recover from stress.
- If the pet does not like the food, then it is necessary to replace it as soon as possible. It is recommended to give preference to balanced meals over cheap options containing a lot of harmful additives.
- In case of gastrointestinal upset and poisoning, you can give the animal activated charcoal (500 mg per 1 kg of body weight). In this case, the tablet must be crushed and dissolved in 1 tsp. water. It is most convenient to give the medicine with a syringe without a needle. It is enough to do this procedure 1 time before going to the doctor.
- Ticks and fleas are eliminated with the help of special antiparasitic medicines. You should not use them on your own, you first need to consult a doctor. However, if in the near future there is no such possibility, and the animal has fleas or a tick was found, you can purchase shampoo Bars or Celandine.
- If the cause is helminthic invasion, then the treatment is carried out with the help of anthelmintic drugs. The medication should be given only according to the scheme recommended by the doctor. Otherwise, larvae may remain, which will provoke a relapse.
- To alleviate the condition of the animal with inflammation of the gums, you can use a solution of Miramistin or potassium permanganate. It is necessary to treat the gums with a cotton pad and the chosen product. This should be done 2 times a day. It is impossible to press on problem areas.
A weak solution of potassium permanganate can be used to treat inflamed gums
Reasons for refusing food. video
Alarms: why the cat doesn’t eat or drink for several days
Sometimes it happens that the cat refuses food and water. This behavior can be alarming, especially if your pet has eaten well before. The reason can be both harmless provoking factors and serious diseases requiring complex treatment. If the pet continues to refuse food and water, then this is a rather alarming sign.
How to help a kitten
If the kitten does not eat anything and does not drink water, then first of all you need to pay attention to the nature of the food. Small pets need special soft food. It is impossible to give a kitten food intended for adult animals, since the digestive tract organs in babies are still very weak. Prolonged refusal of water is dangerous, so you can water your pet with a pipette. Every hour you need to give water forcibly. The liquid should be injected in small quantities. one pipette at a time is enough.
Watering the kitten with a pipette will prevent dehydration
In addition, the kitten should be carefully examined for rashes, sores and fleas. Particular attention should be paid to the withers and ears. If everything is clean, then, most likely, the problem lies in the work of internal organs, which can only be determined in a clinic.
Attention! If a sore in the withers area is found in a kitten, in no case should it be cauterized with iodine or brilliant green. This may indicate the presence of a tick or lichen. In this case, you need to pass the necessary tests and isolate children and other animals from contact with the kitten until it is completely cured.
Diseases of the oral cavity
Dental problems are quite common reasons why a cat does not eat, only drinks water.
Why is this happening? Lack of teeth in an animal is the cause of diseases of the digestive tract. This is explained by the fact that the cat is uncomfortable absorbing this or that food, as a result, she swallows food without chewing. This problem can be corrected by choosing the correct type of feeding.
Tartar build-up causes chronic gum disease and tooth loss. It is necessary to remove tartar on time and regularly take care of the animal’s oral cavity.
Caries overcomes our smaller brothers, it is also the source of many problems. Only by identifying the cause can you cope with the consequences.
The gag reflex in cats is very well developed, so many pet owners are not too worried about vomiting from their pet. It is believed that vomiting helps the cat to get rid of the hairballs. If the cat is active after such a procedure, there is no need to worry.
One should be concerned when weakness, lethargy, muscle tremors and other “unhealthy” symptoms are attributed to vomiting. Drooling with vomiting indicates poisoning. Severe poisoning with poisons in most cases leads to the death of the animal. Missing food, household chemicals or tablets eaten by a cat can provoke severe intoxication. If the cat has eaten poison, you should immediately go to the veterinarian and tell what kind of substance the animal was poisoned with. This will make it easier for the doctor to choose the right treatment.
Common reasons for refusing to eat
- Pain and stress.
- Diseases of the oral cavity.
- Inflammatory processes in the intestines or stomach.
- Viral infection.
- Diseases of the liver, kidneys and urolithiasis.
- Foreign body in the stomach or intestines.
How To Handle A Cat Not Eating
It is worth considering in more detail each factor that will help answer the question of what to do if a domestic cat does not want to eat.?
Inflammatory processes in the intestines and stomach
It happens that the owners provide the necessary care for the pet, and he is often sick. Why is this happening?
My cat is not eating anything| | persian cat|symptoms and precautions | in hindi and urdu
The most common reason why a cat does not eat anything is worms. Animals picked up on the street suffer especially from parasites. Any person can determine a strong helminthic invasion. Worms are visible in the feces and vomit of the animal. In this case, you should get rid of parasites under the supervision of a doctor. Self-treatment of a pet can provoke a poisoning of the body and a deterioration in the condition of the animal.
It also happens that a cat injures the intestines with bone that has not been digested by the body. As a result, the structure of the mucous membrane is disrupted, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract appear. It is impossible to ignore the alarming symptoms, this can lead to depletion of the feline body and even death.
Common symptoms of a viral infection are: sneezing and discharge from the nose and eyes, complete lack of appetite, dehydration, fever, a combination of all of the above.
Treating a cat on your own, especially if it is not vaccinated, is quite risky. Whether a cat is able to cope with an infection depends on its immunity. The animal can refuse food for 3 days or more, in this case, it will weaken. Do not take risks, consult a doctor who can establish a diagnosis after taking a blood test from the animal.
Diseases of the liver, kidneys and urolithiasis
If the cat does not eat or drink, he may have urolithiasis, accompanied by the appearance of stones, sand in the kidneys and bladder. It is not difficult to identify this disease. The cat is lethargic, refuses to eat, constant urge to urinate, blood in the urine. Such symptoms indicate problems with the animal’s bladder. Take preventive measures, proper nutrition of the cat is the best prevention against urolithiasis.
Statistically, cats are three times more likely to have kidney disease than dogs. Nutrition is directly related to kidney function. Renal failure leads to disruption of the natural processes in the animal’s body. The result of a neglected disease is vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy, and bad breath. It is difficult to diagnose this disease, because the symptoms are typical for other diseases. Do not allow the disease to go into a chronic stage, then it will be very difficult to fight it.
Liver diseases are accompanied by the above symptoms. A cat may not eat for 3 days or more. To avoid these problems, you should create a competent diet for your beloved pet. A balanced diet supplies the animal’s body with all the necessary elements.
Foreign body in the stomach or intestines
An intestinal obstruction in an animal is a serious reason to be taken to the veterinarian. Ignoring the problem is often fatal. Obstruction is provoked by skins from sausages, Christmas tree needles and rain, bones and even scraps of wool.
During obstruction, gastric juice continues to be secreted, but it stagnates in the stomach or intestines and is not absorbed by the body. The animal reacts to this by vomiting, during which the body is actively dehydrated. Symptoms of intestinal obstruction are: vomiting, loss of appetite and complete refusal to eat, an enlarged belly, the cat reacts painfully to his palpation. Why doesn’t the animal eat for 3 days, only drinks water and sleeps? What can be done?
- Do not feed the animal, this will provoke vomiting.
- Do not give an enema, you risk damaging the bowel.
- Don’t give your cat a laxative, as this will contract the intestinal muscles.
- Do not use antiemetic drugs, they are temporary but do not correct the problem.
- Be sure to show the animal to the vet.
What to do if the cat does not eat anything and only drinks water?
What should the owner do if his cat doesn’t eat only drinks water and sleeps? First, be glad that the animal is at least drinking. After all, cats are 70% water. If this rate is reduced, say, by 10%, a lethal outcome is guaranteed. And secondly, if the cat does not eat anything, only sleeps, this is also good. Sleep is sometimes the best medicine.
But, be that as it may, when the pet does not eat for several days. at this pace it can hold out up to a maximum of 5 days.
Better 100 g of prevention than 1 kg of treatment! It is better to monitor the health of the cat along the way, than then frantically fuss in search of treatment, causing pain to both yourself and the animal.
Several other reasons
There are several other factors why a cat doesn’t eat anything and only drinks water:
- wrong diet. Perhaps the food that the owner offers him simply does not suit the cat. Change dishes and see the cat’s reaction;
- stressful situations. When changing a place of residence or owner, the cat may become confused and miss the old way of life. Usually this nostalgia lasts a day or two. Then everything passes, and the cat is drawn into a new life;
- inadequate hygiene of cat dishes or food. People wash their dishes after every meal. It will also be unpleasant for the animal to eat missing food, covered with mold and ants, or from a dirty bowl that has not been washed for a long time. Wash the saucer and evaluate the result;
- changing the location of the bowl. Put the saucer back in its original place and check if this is the problem;
- manifestation of character. Sometimes cats are just spoiled and mischievous for any reason. Be patient for a day or two. The cat will get tired of it, he will get hungry and stop showing off. The main thing is not to force the animal to eat. The pet must drink water at this time;
- seasonal fluctuations. In the summer, the cat refuses to eat, as the food produces heat from within the pet, which will be very superfluous at that time of the year. For three days, a cat can eat almost nothing, guided by its well-being and instincts. The only salvation for the animal during this period is to drink water;
- fasting day. When the animal is overeating, for the next several days, it may not eat, resting from meals;
- wool accumulated in the intestines. This can lead to vomiting and constipation. Buy anti-hair products for your cat at the pharmacy.
- the beginning of sexual activity. The cat does not eat anything, but only drinks water, since she has only boyfriends in her mind, and cats have only continuous searches for their lovers. This period of active life lasts for several days. Then everything goes away;
If this is a kitten, do not let him eat anything for more than a day. But even during these days he must drink water.
The old cat will lie more, eat nothing, drink water. this way it will last a maximum of three days.
Lethargy due to illness
Sometimes the problem of lethargy and the fact that the cat has stopped eating only drinks water. there may be a disease. The cat will not tell the owner how he feels. But, according to his condition, you can determine when you need to immediately make a trip to the veterinarian. Diseases due to which, a cat may lose the desire to eat:
- Anorexia. This is especially true for a small kitten. He can refuse to eat not of his own free will, but because such a condition provokes problems with the ventricle or the appearance of worms in the esophagus. If the reason why the kitten does not want to eat, but only drinks, is in parasites. you need to immediately give him pills for worms. Naturally, he will resist, try to escape, but you need to give him a few pills. Preferably in the mouth personally. When doing this, make sure the kitten has swallowed the medicine. If it does not work at all with this method, then put it in food. Then wait for the animal to want to go to the toilet. Sometimes the released worms are seen in the feces. If not, then go to the doctor to make sure that the treatment was not in vain.
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Signs of this disease are diarrhea and other unknown discharge.
- Sick liver. The cat will lie all the time, if it rises, then only drink water, and then it will not be able to walk for a long time. The veterinarian will tell you what foods need to be included in the cat’s diet so that the liver is cleansed and the pet becomes easier.
- Disorder with the mucous system. Perhaps something is stuck in the cat’s throat (some kind of bone or particles of objects) and the pet has not eaten for several days. And if this foreign object is not in the throat, but got into the intestines, then it can cause obstruction of food in the stomach. The food will rot and cause poisoning of the cat’s body. Urgent specialist intervention is required. Do not try to reach the item yourself. This can only harm the cat. Drinking plenty of water will relieve your pet’s pain.
- Tick bite. This is especially true for animals that live in a private house and go outside. The tick bites into the body of the cat and drinks all the juices from it. Therefore, if the cat does not eat anything and drinks only water, carefully examine the pet’s body. If you spot a tick, it’s best not to try to remove it yourself. See a doctor who will do it painlessly and correctly.
- Disease of the blood. Only the delivery of tests will reveal the severity of the disease.
- Gastrointestinal cancer.
- Pancreatic disease. This happens to many cats, as a result of which, the pet does not eat, remains lethargic and drinks only water.
- Diabetes. Testing will show the blood sugar level, and the doctor will prescribe the required treatment.
- Kidney problems.
- Oral trauma. Diseased teeth, stones on them or sores on the gums turn a cat’s meal into torment. Therefore, even a cat will not want to eat its favorite tidbit. In such cases, the cat wants to drink a lot of water.
- Poisoning. This is one of the most common reasons. Diarrhea, lethargy, staggering when walking, vomiting in a cat are the first signs of poisoning, which occurs for various reasons, for example, from:
- drug overdose;
- spoiled food;
- fumes from paint, varnishes, acetone, chemicals;
- residues of household chemicals on the animal’s bowl after washing.
- Disease of the reproductive system. Reasons why this sometimes happens:
- in cats. after castration;
- in cats. after neutering, during estrus or after childbirth.
Start with the following steps:
- determine the diet. Feed the cat a little at the same time;
- regularly examine the mouth and mucous membranes of the cat;
- if possible, brush the cat’s fur daily so that he does not swallow it in his mouth;
- watch the regularity of going to the toilet. If you are constipated, give your cat laxatives;
- never force feed, even if the cat is not eating on its own;
- the cat should regularly drink water. about 250 ml per day;
- get rid of worms and fleas regularly;
- do not punish the cat with brute force. This is not a fighting bag to practice moves on. This is a small helpless animal that can die from the stress experienced;
- replenish your cat’s body with vitamins and healthy food supplements;
- only give fresh food;
- in case of detecting unusual signs in the behavior of the animal (he does not eat, does not drink, is lethargic and constantly lies). contact the hospital. Doctors will take tests, conduct examinations, measure the temperature, tell you what treatment is worth starting.
Don’t neglect your pet’s health. Then he will purr to you in gratitude.!