Helminthic invasion is diagnosed very often in pets with an increased appetite. But it is worth noting that there are accompanying symptoms: vomiting, constipation or diarrhea.
At the same time, the animal not only eats a lot, but also there are food addictions that were not there before: they can chew paper, for example.
Worms are one of the reasons for increased appetite
Unfortunately, cats also have diabetes. Alarms for the suspicion of diabetes include:
- The volume of urine excreted sharply.
- It seems that the cat is constantly thirsty and drinks a lot.
- From constant overeating, obesity develops, and then the weight drops sharply to a state of complete exhaustion.
- The skin is noticeably thinner.
- Bad breath appears, acetone is felt in it.
- Physical activity decreases, gait changes.
Based on this, the doctor prescribes drugs and adjusts the diet.
Diabetic cats also eat more
Many cat food companies have long developed food for diabetics and feeding a sick cattle is useful and correct in this case, it will not be difficult.
Impaired absorption of nutrients
Situations when, along with constant hunger, painful thinness develops, character deteriorates and it is clearly visible that the pet’s appearance is getting worse, are already pathological in nature. In such a case, feeding more is no longer an option and specialized help is required.
Your veterinarian may order the following tests:
- general blood test and glucose;
- barium x-ray.
The need for this examination is to exclude mechanical damage to the gastrointestinal tract, if, for example, the pet has eaten a foreign object, it complicates the work of the intestines. Also, the doctor needs to see the clinical picture: is there anemia and is the blood glucose level increased?
Sometimes such diseases respond well to therapy and simply require a balanced diet with special feed. But it also happens that when examined, a cat is found oncological diseases, which affect the increased appetite and thinness of the animal.
If the absorption of nutrients is impaired, the cat should be shown to the veterinarian.
7 reasons why a cat constantly asks for food and what to do
In this article, I will consider a situation when a cat constantly asks for food. I will name the reasons when the feeling of hunger is justified and, possibly, objectively, and also describe the reasons when increased appetite is a pathology. I will give examples of diseases that require a specialized diet.
Changes in weather affect appetite. in winter and cold autumn they need more energy to keep warm.
Reasons why a cat constantly begs for food
The nutrition of the animal should be balanced and of high quality in the same way as the nutrition of children by age. When a cat appears in the house, the owners are preoccupied with feeding it: food or natural food, the opportunity to treat with something from the master’s table.
We often hear that Murka or Barsik: “loves only chicken”, “eats only Whiskas” and so on. From which we can conclude that food addictions are inherent in cats, but it happens that feline whims turn into a mania for constantly searching and eating food.
Often the causes of increased appetite may be physiological and not associated with diseases.
The reasons why a cat or kitten want to eat may be associated with natural changes in the body: pregnancy and rearing of offspring, age. Lack of saturation signals problems with the digestive system or impaired absorption of substances, as well as the presence of parasites in the body.
Therefore, if during pregnancy there is an increased appetite in the pit, then this is a signal to diversify the menu and introduce more high-calorie foods. But do not overfeed a pregnant cat. pregnancy so puts a lot of stress on the body, and excess weight is fraught with complicated childbirth.
Of course, one of the common causes of hunger is the recovery period from serious illness with a variety of “aggressive” treatments. If for a long time the pet has been sick with viral infections, accompanied by nasal congestion, then after cleansing the nasal sinuses, the scent returns to it, which increases appetite.
How to tell if your pet is thirsty
To do this, you need to leave the cat with only one source of drinking. Measure how much water you poured at the beginning of the day, how much you added. Then determine how much liquid is left at the end of the day. There should be no more than 100 ml per 1 kg of your pet’s weight. If the volume turned out to be large, then the probability of polydipsia is high.
If the cat drinks a lot of liquid
- diseases of cats
- Feline skin diseases
- Cat’s eyes
- Discharge in cats from the eyes and nose
- Hypersalivation (increased salivation) in cats
- If the cat drinks a lot of liquid
- Constipation in cats
- Diseases of the urinary system
- Diseases of the reproductive system in cats
- Uterine prolapse and hernia in cats
- Poor growth and hair loss
- Cat nose
- Respiratory tract infections in cats
- Diseases of cats with inflammation of the mouth
- Poor appetite in cats
- Treating diarrhea in a cat
- Diseases of the nervous system in cats
- How is castration of cats and cats carried out
- Obesity in domestic cats and cats
- Feline skin and its derivatives
- Feline eye diseases
- Causes and Ways to Eliminate Bad Breath in a Cat
- The digestive system of a cat
- Causes of vomiting in cats
- Kidney disease
- Respiratory system disorders in cats
- Cannibalism and other pathologies in cats during childbirth
If the cat drinks a lot, this indicates a change in his body’s need for drinking. Perhaps this is a natural process, but thirst can also be a pathology.
Increased thirst, drinking a lot of water is indicated by the medical term polydipsia. But keep in mind: if it seems to you that the cat has begun to drink more water than usual, this is not always true.
The cat can drink more water when switching to another food. For example, if earlier he ate wet food or homemade food, then he received most of the necessary liquid from it and did not need additional water intake. With dry food, only about 10-15% of the liquid enters the cat’s body. This amount is not enough for the normal functioning of the feline body, so the pet needs additional drink and, accordingly, often uses a bowl of water. In fact, in this case, the cat’s thirst does not increase, it just changes the source from where it gets water.
Reasons for thirst
Thirst can be caused by natural causes: for example, increased physical activity of the pet, increased temperature in the room where the cat lives, pregnancy, high salt in food, lack of protein in the body. Also, an increased need for water may be a consequence of the use of certain veterinary drugs (diuretics, etc.).
A cat will start to consume a lot of fluids if it is anxious or stressed. In this case, they speak of psychogenic polydipsia, which is not associated with internal pathologies. In this case, you should limit the amount of liquid consumed by the animal.
Polydipsia can also occur as a consequence of the disease. Some diseases lead to an increased consumption of water by the body. In an attempt to compensate for the water consumption from the body, the cat drinks more. One of these diseases is polyuria. increased urine production, in which the cat, trying to avoid dehydration, consumes a lot of water. If, with such a pathology, the cat is left without source of water, then its body will quickly be dehydrated, which can result in the death of the pet.
Also, thirst may increase if the animal has dropsies, vomiting, prolonged blood loss.
To find out what caused the thirst, it is better to take your pet to a veterinary clinic.
If your cat drinks a lot of water
Every caring pet owner always monitors the amount of food and liquid consumed per day by his pet. At some point in time, it may seem that the cat has begun to drink too much. At such a moment, you need to carefully analyze the nutrition of your pet and pay attention to his behavior. There are a variety of reasons why a cat drinks a lot of water a day.
- transfer of the animal to dry food. In this case, the cat really drinks a lot and often goes to the toilet. This is due to the low moisture content in the diet, and then it is quite natural that the cat drinks a lot. It is not worth limiting water. The cat just needs to make up for the lack of water in the body to replenish the fluid that it cannot receive with a given diet in full;
- if your cat drinks a lot and walks from the kitten on the street, then you should pay attention to its possible natural state. pregnancy. In this case, the amount of water consumed becomes clear and normal;
- excessive physical activity, which is due to the individual character or characteristics of the breed. Then the cat always drinks a lot of water, and there is no need to worry about his health;
- dry indoor air is possible in winter, and the cat drinks a little more than usual;
- the weather in summer, when the air temperature is high, contributes to the fact that the pet needs to consume as much water as he wants himself, in order to avoid dehydration;
- with natural nutrition, the cat can drink more than usual due to the presence of foods that contribute to the rapid elimination of fluid from the body, that is, they are diuretic;
- any veterinarian will tell you about the dangers of eating from our table. The large amount of salt it contains makes the animal extremely thirsty and explains why the cat needs to drink more water than usual;
- the influence of various stressful situations also needs to be taken into account. Cats that have experienced a certain shock drink much more than their calm relatives;
- a cat may drink more fluids per day due to medication.
If you are sure that the animal drinks more water per day than it should, because of these reasons, then you should contact your veterinarian and do detailed blood and urine tests. A blood sample is taken from a vein with a syringe, urine. using a special catheter.
Excessive fluid intake may indicate the presence of various diseases, including very serious ones, such as:
- kidney disease, including such common as pyelonephritis. Pets are prone to this in adulthood. This is usually one of the most common reasons why cats drink more water;
- diabetes. It can be both sugar and non-sugar;
- diseases of the thyroid gland, in which animals drink water in unlimited quantities;
- dropsy, in which fluid accumulates inside the body;
- commonplace poisoning, contributing to diarrhea and vomiting;
- unbalanced diet, in which protein is lowered or vice versa, salt is overestimated;
- metabolic disease;
- urolithiasis disease. It affects seventy percent of males;
- hormonal imbalance;
- an increase in water consumption is possible due to the ingress of a foreign body into the animal’s body;
- impossibility of digestibility of food due to various reasons.
The main and most common reasons for an excessive increase in the drinking regime per day are named. To more accurately identify changes in eating habits in a cat, you should observe his behavior for at least one week. If the state of his health allows, then the most complete picture can be made by observing him for three weeks to one month.
You should focus on water consumption, on average, up to one hundred milliliters per kilogram of animal weight. This rate varies depending on the diet, weather conditions, activity and age of the animal.
To measure the consumed liquid, it is advisable to purchase any special utensils with an accurate level of determination of liquid products in the form of divisions. Such an action will help to identify an accurate picture of the drinking regimen and describe it in detail at an appointment with a veterinarian, which will make it possible to make the most correct and accurate diagnosis.
In any case, the owners should remember that it is by no means possible to restrict the cat in drinking liquid, even if there is an excessive presence of thirst. If the use of medicines that can be added to water is required, then this will only play into the hands of the owner. If a cat has a serious illness, it is advisable for the owner to refuse to feed his pet with dry food due to the limited moisture in it. Better to switch to natural or wet feed. This will help improve the condition of our smaller brothers and pacify excessive thirst.
It should be remembered that the main preventive measure of any disease is a well-formulated diet, both food and drink. In addition to choosing the most suitable food for your cat, you need to think about water.
Plain tap water can be the causative agent of various dangerous diseases, and boiled water will be deprived of microelements necessary for the body. In this case, the most acceptable option is to clean it with a special filter, which is also used by people.
Or to defend the water for at least eight hours for chlorine to escape from it, which is often used to disinfect pipes. It is also possible to use distilled water. This is the best option for both man and his pet. It is advisable to wash the cat bowls once, and preferably twice a day.
In any case, if your pet has a beautiful and shiny coat, excellent physical shape and elastic skin, then most likely there is no need to worry.
But at the slightest suspicion of possible diseases, it is definitely better to consult a veterinarian in order to avoid complications. After all, a disease is always easier to prevent than to cure its consequences.
Reasons why a cat, cat or kitten is lethargic
With many diseases, the cat is lethargic, does not eat, drinks only water. If this condition lasts more than a day, then this is a reason to consult a doctor.
When infected with worms, the cat is lethargic, but eats normally, while quickly losing weight. In severe cases, appetite may disappear, problems with stool appear, and vomiting occurs.
If your cat has become lethargic in warm weather after walking outside, you should check it for ticks, fleas and other parasites. Put on a collar or treat with skin parasites before walking.
Poisoning is a sign due to which the cat is lethargic, does not eat, does not drink. A fluffy pet can be poisoned by chemicals, plants, raw meat, and rodents. If he has a fever, dry nose and rapid breathing, an urgent need to see a doctor.
- The cat may be lethargic due to intestinal obstruction. In this case, constipation occurs, the abdomen becomes tight. This problem cannot be avoided without the help of a specialist.
- A lethargic cat with an accompanying cough, hoarseness, and difficulty breathing may be a sign of asthma or other lung disease. An examination is required, followed by antibiotic treatment.
- Another disease due to which the cat is lethargic, does not eat, does not drink is called urolithiasis. She is very often affected by cats and neutered cats. The cause may be infection, hypothermia, stone formation.
- If the cat has become lethargic and lame at the same time, he may have received a dislocation or fracture. An x-ray is required for diagnosis.
Sluggish cat, kitten. The cat is sluggish
Cats are not very active. They spend most of their time lying in their favorite spot. But the rest of the time they are quite active, they like to play, run around the apartment or house. A loving owner should be alerted if his cat is sluggish, sleeps almost all the time.
The cat has seizures. What to do?
A seizure or seizure is a cat disease associated with a brain disorder. Cramps in a cat can be both in the form of twitching on the face, and when the cat falls on its side, grinds its teeth, urinates under itself, and the muscles of the front and hind legs contract involuntarily. A cat’s seizures can last as long as a few seconds, or a few minutes or hours.
Seizures are considered a neurological disorder, i.e. the seizures themselves are a symptom, not a disease.
The causes of the disease in cats can be associated with metabolic disorders, the presence of toxins or tumors in the body, low sugar levels, liver diseases, inflammation or infections of the nervous system, head injuries, diseases of the circulatory system.
What to do if the cat is sluggish (the cat is sluggish)?!
If the cat is lethargic for less than a day, then most likely treatment is not necessary. He may be depressed, the pet may be offended by the owners if they have not played with him, the change in the weather or taking medications may affect. But if there are any other symptoms of the disease, you need to contact your veterinarian. Only a competent specialist can determine the cause and prescribe treatment.
What the experts say?
How much time a cat spends sleeping may also depend on external factors such as weather, temperature, the level of safety of the environment, the age of the pet, and so on.
By the way, in comparison with domestic cats, stray cats spend much less time sleeping.
After all, they, unlike couch potatoes, have a lot of important things to do: get food, control their territory, visit other cats.
Little kittens doze off a huge amount of time in the first days of life. Approximately 90% of the day is spent sleeping. This is not surprising, because during rest, the baby’s body develops faster. It is also quite normal if the kitten jerks its paws or squeaks in a dream.
Don’t calm him down. Create all the conditions so that nothing can tear the baby away from the sweet dream. The body itself knows when to awaken. But if a kitten over two months old sleeps too much and is not active, it can be a cause for concern.
Even such funny and uncomfortable postures should not cause concern. But the lack of appetite and plus constant weakness and drowsiness is a reason to consult a veterinarian as soon as possible
In general, long sleep is normal for cats. If during periods of wakefulness the cat behaves and feels normal, has no problems with stool or appetite, then there is no reason to panic.
Cough. Cat, cat coughs
It is very rare for a cat or cat to have a cough.
It is believed that a cat’s cough is a protective reflex that helps clear mucus or other foreign bodies from the throat, larynx, respiratory tract, and protects the lungs from aspiration (penetration of foreign bodies into the respiratory tract as a result of being sucked in by the flow of inhaled air). The cough makes it difficult for the animal to breathe.
Causes of cough and possible cat diseases: airway obstruction, bronchitis, pneumonia, heart disease, lung cancer, heart disease. All of the above causes and diseases of cats are life-threatening for the animal. If your cat has a cough, he needs a veterinarian checkup.
The kitten does not eat or drink. what to do when to sound the alarm?
Finding out the reason for refusing to eat and drink, you should very carefully evaluate the condition and behavior of the kitten. If an animal just doesn’t want to eat, that’s one thing. But reluctance to drink water, combined with general lethargy, apathy is a very alarming symptom.
The owner must be alerted to the following:
- repeated vomiting, even from water;
- the kitten constantly lies and does not get up, breathes heavily;
- the animal has cloudy eyes;
- the coat has become faded, matted, looks unkempt;
- intense salivation;
- the kitten has a swollen belly, has no stool for several days, or, conversely, it has become frequent and runny;
- discharge from the eyes and nose is noted.
The presence of one or more of these signs, coupled with the kitten’s unwillingness to eat and drink, is the most serious reason for an urgent visit to the doctor.
Reasons for decreased activity
Due to the above described behavioral features of cats, it is rather difficult to determine that they have problems, the consequence of which is a decrease in physical activity. A common concomitant symptom of depression is decreased interest in food. Decreased appetite can be expressed in periodic, partial or complete refusal of food.
There may also be a situation in which the cat eats only the most delicious part of his diet, refusing to eat interesting foods that he previously ate with appetite.
Especially dangerous are conditions in which the cat is lethargic and does not drink, since due to their fast metabolism and low body weight, these animals can very easily become victims of dehydration.
A complete refusal of food for more than two days can be fatal for a cat, which makes it extremely important to timely contact a specialist in veterinary medicine. Heat in females can lead to loss of appetite and lethargy, during which there are various changes in behavior and a change of interests in the animal.
But most often this condition is the result of a serious illness of an infectious nature. Then an increased body temperature, the presence of discharge from the nose or ears, soreness of any parts of the body or organs can be recorded. The animal can become lethargic from internal injuries and bleeding after falling from a height, being hit by a car or other injuries.
In such a situation, every minute counts and it is necessary to deliver the animal to the clinic as soon as possible. In no case can you do with self-help to the injured animal.
Quite often, a cat is lethargic after surgery or vaccination, which is quite natural, given the extreme stress and the effect on the state of the body. Gradually, the animal will return to normal and begin to show interest in food. If the situation does not improve, you need to call the veterinarian at home for an examination.
Treatment of identified diseases
Treatment of illnesses should be based on veterinarian prescriptions. But there are general recommendations to allow the pet to “get out”. And if with refusal to drink everything is somewhat easier (in this case, the main action is precisely providing the pet with the necessary drink), then with excessive thirst, the situation is a little more complicated.
You cannot restrict the animal’s access to moisture, even if the cat drinks too much water. If after a few days of treatment the thirst does not subside, then it is better to ration the drinking and offer the household inhabitant water at a certain time, trying to bring the amount drunk closer to the calculated norm.
With plenty of fluids, hosts can make it easier for the furry friend to take medication by adding certain drugs directly to the liquid. During treatment, it is better to switch to wet or natural food, if before that the animal ate only the dry version. If moisture is rejected, a sufficient amount of moisture will still enter the pet’s body, but such a diet will somewhat “pacify” unbridled thirst.
Diagnostics of possible diseases
Among the dangerous and unpleasant diseases, one of the symptoms of which may be precisely a change in the drinking regime, there are:
- renal failure and urolithiasis;
- possible hormonal imbalance or developing diabetes;
- poisoning or ingestion of a foreign body into the digestive system.
The main symptoms of the problem may be frequent clear vomiting of just one liquid, indicating either insufficient digestibility of food, or a foreign object stuck in the stomach. Problems with urination are the first reason to contact a veterinarian with suspected urolithiasis, but changes not only in the drinking regimen, but also in food intake indicate hormonal abnormalities or diabetes.
It is better to monitor the amount of water you drink on different days for at least two to three weeks. For this, not ordinary bowls can help, but measuring cups, which allow you to accurately mark and control the level of liquid. Such a study will help to form the most reliable picture of the cat’s drinking regimen and will allow the veterinarian to describe the change in its behavior in this vein before the diagnosis is made.
The main prevention of the development of any disease is a balanced diet and drink, which should always be freely available for the cat. Source: Flickr (wabisabi2015)
The cat drinks a lot of water: reasons
The main reasons why a cat drinks a lot of water include:
- The age of the animal. “Elderly” pets drink much more young kittens due to the peculiarities of an already somewhat dehydrated body, so the difference in the amount of fluid consumed between a ten-year-old fluffy pet and a one-year-old cat should not scare the owners.
- Features of food containing a certain amount of moisture. Natural or wet food does not make you want to drink it down, while dry food requires a huge amount of drinking, which at first glance seems unhealthy.
- The development of diseases, ranging from possible metabolic problems to more serious diseases. This is worth paying attention to, especially if there are no other reasonable reasons explaining the strong thirst for the pet.
The cat drinks a lot of water: causes of thirst and disease prevention
Anxiety about a cat drinking too much or too little water is common to all caring owners who are trying to keep their pet healthy. Animals require moisture to maintain normal natural body processes, so any deviations from the norm, be it excessive thirst or an almost complete refusal to drink, can be indicators of serious diseases that the owners should not turn a blind eye to.
Daily water intake for your pet
The water rate for a pet can be calculated in the same way as for a person. There are two ways to calculate the amount of water required for an animal.
The first is based on the need to drink 20-40 milliliters of moisture for each kilogram of the pet’s body. A fairly large “spread” of volumes is determined by the cat’s age, diet, mobility and even upbringing, with the help of which you can artificially develop a feeling of thirst and teach the cat to drink as often.
The second method is considered more accurate. It is based on the formula that the weight of the furry friend must be multiplied by a factor of 0.03. According to such calculations, it turns out that the four-legged inhabitant of the house, which weighs about six kilograms, needs to drink as much as 180 milliliters of moisture daily.
However, in any case, this value is average, only a deviation from the calculated one and a half times should cause concern. The rest of the cases of excess water consumption or rare drinking may well be within the normal range.
Prevention of the appearance and development of diseases
The main prevention of the development of any disease is a balanced diet and drink, which should always be freely available for the cat (especially when eating dry food).
It is important to choose the right water as well. Tap water contains too many pathogens of dangerous diseases, and boiled water does not contain trace elements necessary for a cat. The option with purchased bottles is also not particularly suitable, since modern manufacturers do not differ in sincerity when publishing compositions.
The most suitable option for a cat is a filter that allows you to purify the liquid, but at the same time retain a sufficient amount of trace elements in it. Another good option is to let the water sit for at least six to eight hours in the refrigerator. Bowls should also be washed regularly (at least once a day, ideally two).
Such an organization of thirst quenching will help to prevent many diseases, including viral infections (coming from the water supply) and urolithiasis (developing mainly against the background of malnutrition).
Causes of increased thirst
There are many reasons why a cat drinks a lot of water. They can be natural or pathological in nature. Also, this phenomenon is possible when treating a pet with medications. All these reasons should be considered in more detail.
Often the reason that the cat began to drink a lot of water is some kind of pathology. To identify it, you must consult a doctor and conduct an examination of your pet.
The most common cause of thirst is diabetes. This disease occurs not only in humans, but also in cats. Pathology can be determined by the following features:
- Increased blood sugar.
- Large volume of urine as the kidneys begin to work harder.
- Constant desire to drink water.
To detect diabetes, it is enough to donate blood, urine for analysis, undergo an ultrasound examination of the pancreas, check the level of hormones.
The second common ailment, due to which the cat drinks a lot of water, may be kidney failure, which proceeds in a chronic form. This disease occurs in cats for a variety of reasons. It can be a hereditary predisposition, unhealthy diet, age.
Often, renal failure occurs in those pets that are fed only fish. This product contains a large amount of minerals that are poorly absorbed by the body. As a result, they begin to be deposited in the kidneys in the form of stones.
The reasons that the pet drinks a lot of water may lie in other pathologies. They are less common, but still it is impossible not to say about them. Such diseases include:
In no case should a cat be restricted in drinking water if the thirst is caused by a disease. It is important to ensure that there is always liquid in the bowl. Otherwise, the development of a fluid deficiency in the body is possible, which leads to dangerous consequences.
The cat began to drink a lot of water?
When getting a pet for himself, a person always monitors his behavior and health. After all, cats themselves cannot tell the owner about their problems. It happens that a person notices that his pet is tormented by thirst. This causes anxiety and search for the reason why the cat drinks a lot of water.?
Another reason why the cat often drinks water is medication. Certain medications can make cats thirsty. However, this phenomenon is not considered the norm, it is a side effect of the medication. It usually occurs because the cat is being given the wrong treatment.
Diuretics and corticosteroid drugs can lead to the cat suddenly starting to drink running water in large volumes. In rare cases, taking Xylazine can cause illness.
[REUPLOAD] ASMR. Cat eats and drinks
If in the course of therapy a person notices that the cat drinks a lot of water, then the veterinarian should be informed about this. It may be necessary to change the treatment regimen by changing the dose of the medication or giving it up altogether.
A cat may drink a lot of water due to natural causes that are not related to health problems and do not require treatment. The following phenomena can make you want to drink water:
- Cat pregnancy.
- Feeding kittens with mother’s milk.
- Increased physical activity.
- Hot weather conditions.
- The presence in the diet of foods containing a large amount of salt, or other foods that lead to thirst.
All these factors are not dangerous. As soon as they are eliminated, the cat will drink the normal amount of water again.
Dealing with thirst in cats?
If the owner noticed that the cat drinks a lot of water, then urgent measures should be taken. First, you need to identify the exact cause of this phenomenon. If natural factors influenced, then there is no danger. For example, a lactating cat will often only drink water until she weaned her kittens. After that, the volume of fluid consumed returns to normal on its own after a few days.
If the matter is in the cat’s nutrition, then you need to adjust its diet. It is worth remembering that dry food always makes animals want to drink plenty of water. Therefore, you do not need to feed the cat only with it. Diet should be varied and low in salt.
If a person notices any pathological symptoms, then the pet should be immediately shown to the veterinarian. It is worth paying attention to such manifestations as vomiting, diarrhea. The cat becomes lethargic, inactive. The doctor will conduct a complete examination of the cat.
You will have to undergo laboratory tests of blood, urine, as well as instrumental diagnostic methods. Only after receiving the results and finding the cause of thirst will the veterinarian prescribe the appropriate treatment.
Why does a cat or cat drink a lot of water??
How to train a cat or cat to drink water?
- By placing containers of water around the apartment at different levels, it is easy to determine where the cat is more comfortable to drink.
- By choosing containers of different sizes and shapes, the owner will find out from which dishes the cat prefers to lap. Most pets love large volumes, such water from the point of view of a cat is a “lake”, and not a pitiful dirty “puddle”.
- It is important to understand what kind of water to give (some pets lap only water at room temperature or slightly higher, others drink only cold water).
- Metal and plastic containers should be replaced with glass or ceramic dishes.
- Some cats and cats only love running water. In this case, you should purchase a drinking fountain or leave the tap open more often.
- The water should be changed at least twice a day. In the meantime, there is no need to worry about it. ”
- A bowl of water should not be placed next to food, as cats only prefer clean water.
- Dilute your pet’s canned food in water. This is not recommended for dry food as it can quickly spoil the food.
- Use filtered water instead of tap water. The latter can be highly chlorinated or too high concentration of minerals.
How to determine how much water a cat or cat is drinking?
To estimate how much an animal drinks water per day, you need to give it only one source of water and exclude access to other sources, measure how much water you poured at the beginning of the measurement period (and is usually measured in 24 hours) add up everything that you added during that day. if the water ran out, then add the amount of water that came with the food to the result obtained and subtract the volume of water remaining in the bowl by the end of the day. This amount should not exceed 70-100 ml per 1 kg of body weight per day. That is, if you have a cat and she weighs 4 kg, then she normally should not drink more than 400 ml of liquid per day. If this is more than the above values, this is true thirst and the next section will be for you.
We cut off access to all sources of moisture, place measuring cups of water around the apartment and in a day we calculate how much has been drunk (with a small correction for evaporation). But one day is not an indicator, because on the day of the “experiment” the pet may not be too thirsty. Therefore, it is advisable to carry out the “test” several times. Ideally, control over the amount of fluid consumed should be carried out regularly, once every three months: a significant change in one direction or another is a reason to contact your veterinarian.
How to make sure your cat or cat is getting enough water?
- Skin elasticity. Gently pull the skin at the base of your cat’s neck (scruff). The skin should come back when you release it. If it doesn’t, your cat may not be getting enough water.
- Shiny coat without dry flakes sign of hydration.
- Your cat should be in normal physical activity and not be overly lethargic.
- Does your cat urinate 2-3 times a day? You can tell this by looking at your cat’s litter box.
Fluid intake for cats and cats
Why does a cat or cat drink a lot of water??
Increased thirst and drinking too much water is called polydipsia. An animal’s thirst increases when the conditions for the existence of the organism change, in most cases this is a compensation for the increased consumption of water in the body. And if this is really increased thirst, then the animal begins to drink more water than 100 ml per 1 kg of body weight per day.
- Increased physical activity.
- Hot season or high temperature of the content.
- The use of certain foods (rice works no worse on uppets than furosemide, a strong diuretic).
- Increased table salt in food, with a lack of protein in the cat’s diet (not entirely normal).
- Diuretics (furosemide, diacarb).
- Corticosteroid medications (prednisolone, methylprednisolone, dexamethasone).
- In some animals, xylazine (a drug to immobilize the animal).
- Liver tumors.
- Acute or chronic renal failure.
- Accumulation of fluid in body cavities (chest and abdominal) with dropsy.
- Evaporation of fluid from the body surface and discharge from the wound or burn surface.
- Loss of fluid with diarrhea (diarrhea), vomiting,
- Discharge from the genitals, with mild and prolonged blood loss.
Pathological causes, diseases causing polydipsia
An unnaturally intense, unquenchable thirst is called polydipsia. If the excessive activation of the drinking center in the feline brain was caused by any pathology, in addition to this symptom, there will be other signs of the disease. Usually, a sick pet does not eat much or does not eat at all, becomes very weak, rarely goes to the toilet, does not respond to external stimuli. Increased thirst is just one of the signs of the disease.
Cats Shovel-Eating Food
Polydipsia in cats can be caused by the following pathological factors:
- Diabetes. The cessation of the production of the required amount of insulin by the pancreas leads to a disruption in the process of glucose supply to the kidney cells, due to which they lose the ability to fully filter moisture, and the animal quickly loses it.
- Chronic renal failure, which is often diagnosed in older cats, and is when the kidney cells stop working fully and retain the required amount of fluid.
- Inflammation of the pancreas, which is rare in felines.
- Diseases of the central nervous system in which the activation of the drinking center in the feline brain is impaired.
- Purulent inflammatory process in the abdominal organs.
- Inflammation in the organs of the reproductive system.
- Dropsy, characterized by the accumulation of fluid in the tissues.
- Strong emotional shock.
- Pathological processes in the brain.
How much should a kitten and an adult cat drink??
The rate of water consumption is individual and depends on many factors:
- The body weight of the animal. For every kilogram of cat weight per day, ideally, there should be from 20 to 40 ml of liquid. According to other sources, this figure should be about 50 ml.
- Age. Kittens drink less liquid than adults. Older cats, on the other hand, are more thirsty.
- Food. If an animal is fed a premium ready-to-eat food that is salt-free and has a balanced composition, it requires less water than its counterpart, which eats a cheaper product. The broths and gravies included in the diet of pets, which consists of natural food, provide their body with moisture, as a result of which their need for clean water is reduced.
- Physical activity level. active animals have a stronger thirst than their less active counterparts.
- Season and air temperature in the room in which the cat is constantly located. In the heat, the need of the cat’s body for water increases.
Physiological causes and influence of external factors
Usually, the increase in thirst in the feline family is caused by harmless reasons. Some of them cannot be called such, but they cannot and do not need to be corrected with treatment. We are talking about the natural withering of the body. If an old pet began to drink a lot of water, this does not mean at all that something is wrong with him, it is just that the slowdown of internal processes manifests itself.
Why does a healthy, sexually mature cat or kitten drink water all the time? This can be due to:
- Excessive physical exertion. Long walks and active pastime increase thirst.
- Warm season, high air temperature in the room in which the cat is constantly located. In hot weather, cats, like humans, have an increased need for water.
- The period of gestation and feeding of the young with breast milk. In almost all pregnant and lactating pets, their owners observe an increase in thirst.
- Age. As noted earlier, kittens do not need as much fluid as sexually mature animals for the normal functioning of the body. Elderly individuals, on the contrary, want to drink often and a lot. Many owners of older cats have probably noticed that they urinate more often than at a younger age. This is due to increased water intake.
- Nutritional features. Animals that eat ready-made, high-quality food drink less water and, accordingly, go to write less often than their counterparts who eat lower-quality foods. Cats eating dry food are more thirsty than those eating wet canned food. The situation is similar with pets, which often eat liquid natural food. If you feed a four-legged pet with too salty dishes, naturally, his body will experience an increased need for moisture.
- Increase in body weight. Animals with more weight and water drink more than their slender counterparts. This reason can hardly be considered harmless, since the increase in the cat’s weight inevitably entails other, more serious problems with its health.
- Taking certain medications. Increased thirst can be a side effect of diuretics, sedatives, pain relievers, and corticosteroids.
- Diarrhea. Diarrhea cannot be considered a pathological phenomenon only if it happened once. Multiple loose stools require therapeutic measures.
Why does the cat have an increased thirst?
When a cat drinks a lot, you need to find out what caused its increased thirst. Physiological and pathological factors can provoke such a phenomenon. The former do not require the adoption of any special measures, the latter, on the contrary, imply an immediate appeal to a veterinary clinic, whose specialists will confirm or deny the presence of the disease and, if necessary, prescribe treatment for a four-legged patient.
Why did the cat start drinking a lot of water: causes of increased thirst, treatment of diseases that cause polydipsia in cats
When a cat drinks a lot of water, this does not always indicate any serious pathology. Typically, increased thirst in cats is caused by physiological factors that do not require any therapeutic measures. To understand in what situations it is necessary to sound the alarm, it is necessary to study the norms of consumption by representatives of the feline family of water and the factors causing their excess.
When do you need to contact a veterinarian??
Immediately show your pet to the veterinarian is required if:
- he has completely or partially lost interest in food;
- the animal has become lethargic and does not respond to external stimuli, spending most of the time in a supine position;
- the cat is sick and vomits;
- a four-legged pet has diarrhea or, on the contrary, constipation;
- the pet has a high or, conversely, low body temperature.