Possible eye diseases in dogs
It is worth understanding what eye diseases can harm your pet. As mentioned above, conjunctivitis often occurs in dogs, this disease is treated and does not leave any consequences. The most important thing is to see a veterinarian on time. In order for the disease not to develop, the following preventive measures should be taken:
- It is necessary to clean the eye of mucus and crusts in warm water, for this you can use a cotton swab or a piece of soft cloth.
- After that, you should rinse the dog’s eye with any levomecitic eye drops. You can also use tetracycline ointment after rinsing. They just smear it with a dog’s eye, trying to get it as much as possible on the eyeball.
- In any case, after the procedure, you should not hesitate and seek help from a specialist as soon as possible.
It happens that a dog’s eyes swell with severe injury. It is not always possible to notice this immediately. After a walk, where the dog may be injured, it may take several hours and only after that the eye will begin to swell and swim. In this case, it is necessary to examine the eye with extreme caution.
Most likely, your pet will not be very happy with this procedure. In any case, if you find even a slight injury, you will need the help of an experienced veterinarian. Self-treatment in this case is simply impossible. Any trauma associated with the eyes can threaten both the loss of vision in the dog and the loss of the eye itself.
Another reason for a dog’s eye swelling is an allergic reaction to food. In any case, it is necessary to carefully examine the eye, if there are no noticeable injuries and inflammations, then you also need to rinse it with warm water and give the dog antihistamines to drink. Then seek help from a veterinarian.
In summer, when your pet loves to walk in the fresh air and enjoy the warm sun, any insect bite is possible. If the eye is swollen and swollen, and upon examination you find a bee sting, then you need to get rid of it as soon as possible. Be it a wasp or a bee, the sting remains with the eye until you remove it. In this case, you must also give the dog an antihistamine to drink and rinse the eye thoroughly with warm water. If after that the tumor does not subside, then you should contact your veterinarian.
Any hunting dog breed is susceptible to such troubles when dry branches, pieces of stones or dust get into its eyes. In this case, your pet will also swell and swell. In this case, it is also necessary to thoroughly rinse the dog’s eyes with warm boiled water, this should be done as often as possible in order to achieve a result. All dirt should come out when rinsing, and only in this case will the eyes stop inflamed.
In dogs, there are also diseases such as blepharitis. It is found much less often than others, but still no one is immune from it. People call it simply inflammation of the eyelids. With this ailment, the animal’s eyes become very inflamed and swell. All this brings unbearable pain and itching. In this case, the help of a specialist will be simply necessary.
Causes of diseases
In most cases, when we see our pet and the changes that have occurred to him, this causes a little panic. Swollen eye, this is really not a pleasant sight. But do not panic, you should first find out the cause of this ailment.
Among animals, as well as among humans, there is a disease such as conjunctivitis. Probably, almost everyone in their childhood remembers those unpleasant sensations when such an ailment occurs. The eyes begin to fester and swell, it can even be difficult to open them. In animals, everything happens with the same precision.
In any case, the help of a specialist is needed. Only he will be able to make an accurate diagnosis and prescribe the correct and effective treatment.
A dog’s eye swam. reasons and what to do
Our younger brothers, like no one, sometimes need our love and care. A dog is man’s best friend, most likely everyone remembers this slogan from childhood. There are situations in which only a person can help a pet. Now let’s consider one of these.
Prevention of eye diseases in dogs
In any case, any pet needs prevention. If you begin to notice changes in his behavior or even more inflammation of the eyes, you need to come to the rescue in a timely manner. In order to prevent, the following measures will be taken:
- You will need a daily thorough examination of your pet, especially in the summer and if it was outside the city in nature.
- In the summer, it is simply necessary to cleanse the eyes of dust in the evening with a soft swab dipped in warm water.
- Try not to let your pet run through densely overgrown bushes, thorny hedges and tall grass.
- It is necessary to keep track of how your pet walks, to prevent playing with cats and fights with other dogs.
- Carry out all hygienic measures in time, that is, trim the nails, monitor their cleanliness.
- Always have the necessary medications with you when you are away from home.
Every pet needs care and attention. Not everyone understands that when buying a dog you need to understand that it is not only a faithful friend and pet, but also a member of your family. He will also need your support in any emergency.
Love your pets, take care of them and do not panic in case of injury or illness. In this case, it will be the best option to establish a diagnosis and start treatment as soon as possible. Then your pet will delight you with its healthy appearance and cheerful behavior.
Ophthalmic diseases in cats: what to do if a cat’s eye is swollen, swollen and watery?
Ophthalmic diseases are not uncommon in cats. One of the symptoms of most eye diseases is swelling of the affected organ. If your pet has a swollen and watery eye, you cannot ignore this phenomenon, hoping that it will pass by itself. Ignoring this problem can lead to the loss of the affected organ. To know how to help a four-legged pet, you need to find out what exactly triggered the development of the inflammatory process.
Swelling of the eye due to trauma or foreign body
Trauma or foreign body in the eye is not typical for cats, but it cannot be completely ruled out. A pet can injure this organ while exploring dense thickets, when falling from a height, falling under the wheels of a moving vehicle, during a fight with relatives. A speck or dirt can also get into it, leading to inflammation. Information on how to help your pet in such a situation:
|Type of eye lesion||Typical Symptoms||Treatment|
|Foreign body ingress||Swelling, rubbing with a paw, frequent blinking, profuse lacrimation, redness.||Rinse the eye with boiled water or saline, then drip ophthalmic drops, and after 5 minutes, lay an eye ointment.|
|Injury||In mild cases, the eye swells, watery, reddens, a temporary squint develops, the cornea becomes cloudy, the blinking membrane protrudes. In difficult situations, the pet meows plaintively, avoids touching the diseased organ, refuses food, is poorly oriented in space, the affected eye festers, the iris changes color, and the eyeball changes shape.||If the damage is serious, the animal is operated on, if only the eyelid is damaged, ophthalmic drops and ointments are prescribed.|
Tumors, benign and malignant
If a kitten or an adult cat has a sufficiently dense to the touch swelling above or under the eye, the skin in this area is significantly different in color from healthy areas, while the pet has an increased body temperature, an urgent need to contact a veterinary hospital. After a visual examination, the veterinarian will prescribe a biopsy to the tailed patient, which will show if it is benign or malignant.
Treatment depends on the nature and stage of the pathological process. When contacting a veterinarian in the early stages of cancer, there is a high probability of a successful outcome of the disease. If you start it, there can be no question of the animal’s recovery. Surgical and, moreover, conservative treatment in such a situation, alas, is powerless.
Turn of the century
Twisting of the eyelid, or entropion, is a pathological condition accompanied by the twisting of the upper or lower eyelid inward, towards the eyeball. This phenomenon can be due to hereditary, acquired or age factors.
As the disease progresses, the symptoms become more pronounced:
- Thick cloudy outflows from the affected organ;
- Swelling and redness of the eyelid;
- Deterioration of health;
- Loss of interest in food;
- Constant rubbing of the sore eye with a paw to relieve the itching and pain at least a little.
In a neglected form, volvulus of the eyelids is accompanied by corneal atrophy and the inability to open the eye. The tactics of treating entropion is determined by a veterinarian based on the results of diagnostic studies. This disease is treated with conservative (antibiotics, antimycotics, antiviral agents) or surgical methods (eyelid surgery).
If a kitten or adult cat has a swollen and festering eye, it is possible that these are symptoms of conjunctival inflammation. The development of purulent (bacterial) conjunctivitis is provoked by various bacteria. The inflammatory process in the mucous membrane covering the eyeball from the outside and the eyelids from the inside is accompanied by:
- Puffiness of the eyelids;
- Inflammation of the mucous membrane;
- The outflow of pus from the diseased organ (it appears in the corner of the eye, on the fur in the infraorbital region, on the eyelids, gluing them together).
With a severe course of the pathological process, the pet’s body temperature rises. Purulent inflammation of the conjunctiva can develop into keratitis, which is fraught with complete loss of vision. If cats have bacterial conjunctivitis, antibiotic therapy is prescribed. Information about the methods of arresting the inflammatory process in the affected organ:
|For washing||Diamond eyes||The sore eye is washed several times a day.|
|Eye ointments||Tetracycline, Levomycetin, Sofradex||Placed behind the eyelid 2 times a day.|
|Ophthalmic drops||Dexamethasone, Conjunctivin, Ciprovet||Buried in the affected eye.|
The eye is swollen due to keratitis
Does the cat fester and have swollen eyes? It can be inflammation of the cornea, the development of which can be provoked by trauma, conjunctivitis, infections, allergies, autoimmune diseases, lack of vitamins, etc. This disease can be recognized by the following signs:
- Corneal opacity;
- Allocation of purulent exudate;
- Profuse lacrimation;
Treatment of this disease depends on the cause of its development, the severity of the course, the degree of damage to the cornea. Usually, tailed patients are prescribed ophthalmic ointments and drops. Sometimes an injection of the drug is required under the conjunctiva. Also, the veterinarian may prescribe pills, subcutaneous or intravenous injections to the animal.
Maybe the cat has blepharitis?
Most often, inflammation of the eyelids in felines is provoked by parasitic infections (for example, a subcutaneous tick), disruption of the sebaceous glands, dysfunction of the endocrine system (hormonal disruption), and autoimmune pathologies. The symptoms and treatment of this disease depend on the type of disease. Information about the clinical manifestations and elimination of various types of blepharitis in cats:
|Types of eyelid inflammation||Symptoms||Treatment|
|Simple or scaly||Redness, swelling, thickening of the eyelid margins, gray scales, eyelash loss, suppuration||If the inflammatory process is provoked by microorganisms, antibiotics and immunoglobulins are used. When a subcutaneous tick is found, the treatment of blepharitis and demodicosis or sarcoptic mange is delayed for a long time. up to several months. Trichophytosis can be cured with triple vaccinations and fungicidal ointments; with microsporia, the situation is different. There is no vaccine against it, and it is very difficult to get rid of it with ointments alone. Antibacterial drugs will not only have to be applied externally, but also injected.|
|Ulcerative||Ulceration, tissue scarring, twist or eversion of the eyelids|
|Meibomian||Thickening and redness of the edges of the eyelids, purulent discharge|
Internal pathologies causing edema
Swelling of the eyes in kittens or adult animals can also provoke disturbances in the functioning of internal organs:
- Infectious diseases (feline herpes, calicivirus infection, salmonellosis, chlamydia);
- Allergic reaction;
- Pathologies of the organs of the cardiovascular and excretory system.
What to do in this situation? The only reasonable solution for a four-legged pet’s eye swelling, especially if it has other pathological manifestations (for example, indigestion, weakness, lack of appetite), is to show it to a veterinarian as soon as possible. At home, it is impossible to accurately determine the cause of this phenomenon. If you try to eliminate only its consequence, you will never be able to cope with the problem.
Why did the cat’s eye swell?
Not all cat lovers know what to do if their pet has swollen eyes. Until recently, he ran, played and made people around him happy, but now he is ill. A cat is a member of the family and is dear to the owners, so you need to be patient to cure him, he will appreciate it for sure
About the reasons
The cat’s eye swam. Why does cat’s eyes fester and swell, while the cheek and nose are also not in their best shape? A third or white eye is a sign of an infectious disease. It is possible that this happened when the cat fought, defending its territory.
On the forum of animal lovers, they discuss this problem and confirm that there are grounds for everything, and such in this case are:
- Injury. When the eye is swollen. this can be the cause of the blow. Accidental collision of the head with a hard object produces swelling. Of course, this is difficult to determine, since cats do not have bruises.
- Foreign body ingress. The eye began to swell and at the same time pus oozed out of it and the place of the tumor was hot. The subject may be debris, sand, or wood chips. The main thing is that you do not need to try to pull it out on your own, but you should contact a specialist.
- Conjunctivitis, glaucoma or other pathology. The cause of the eye swimming can also be this kind of disease. It is not difficult to determine these manifestations: the pet cannot navigate in space and a small touch with this place brings him pain. Going to the vet shouldn’t be postponed.
- Oncology. Oddly enough, neoplasms are also found in animals. The cat’s eyesight is lost, as a result of which the coordination of movements in space is impaired. Examination by a specialist is mandatory to make sure of this factor.
- Blepharitis The eyelid is inflamed and pain occurs with slight pressure. But if hard tissues are found in the eyeball area, you should not postpone the visit to a specialist.
- Inversion and inversion. The kitten has swollen cheeks and swollen eyes, this can happen due to curl of eyelashes. That is, the eyelashes fall into the eyes and stick to the cornea. At the same time, rubbing of the eyeball begins, a white film appears and the eye begins to fester. On the contrary, with eversion, the circumference of the eyelids begins to crack, which leads to swelling and inflammation.
- Pathologies of the heart muscle and kidneys. Swelling of the eyes and swelling of the cat’s eyes and this is not necessarily the result of external factors, but may be diseases of internal organs. Due to their insufficient work, edema develops.
In any case, you should show the cat to a specialist and you should not treat it yourself, you can only harm the animal.
How to provide first aid
The cat’s eyes are swimming with a film and partly begin to water, then in this case you can use simple means, such as hydrogen peroxide of low concentration, thick tea leaves or a solution of furatsilin.
List of tips:
- After moistening a cotton swab with the product, it should be carefully drawn around the eye, while removing the crusts from the corners directed towards the center. Moving a little cotton swab to the eye, the pet will feel better.
- For conjunctivitis in the early stages, tetracycline ointment will also help.
- Furacilin solution also relieves primary inflammation, but you need to rinse the eye when it swam several times a day to achieve a result.
- Chamomile decoctions also have a bactericidal effect, the main thing is that they are at room temperature.
If, after applying one of the methods, there is no improvement, then this is the first thing that needs to be done. to show the cat to a specialist. Only with appropriate care can you restore health to a furry friend, and yourself the joy of seeing him in a good mood.
How to bury your cat’s eyes
If your cat has a bad eye, you can help him yourself. You will not take the animal to the veterinary clinic several times a day. For a successful procedure, please note the following rules:
- Lay the animal on its side and turn the pet’s head up.
- If you have a wild or restless cat, you may need to immobilize it. A large towel or sheet works well for this. As you understand, the animal will need to be swaddled.
- Open your pet’s eye and drip the medicine, if the animal shakes its muzzle, hold it with your hand, as in the photo.
After the drug hits the eyeball, the animal, blinking, will itself contribute to its distribution over the entire surface.
- At the end of the procedure, blot the treated area with a napkin.
The described procedures will not cure the disease, they can only relieve its symptoms. If a cat’s eyes fester, then only a veterinarian can help cure it. Timely treatment will save your pet’s eyesight.
It is necessary to carry out the prevention of infectious diseases. First of all, you need to get all the necessary vaccinations for your four-legged friend. Remember to check your pet from time to time. And also it will never be superfluous to visit the veterinary office for preventive purposes.
To avoid injury to the animal, control it while walking. And if your pet is prone to inappropriate behavior, walk him on a harness. Remember right away, if a cat’s eye festers after a fight, there is nothing to be surprised at. There is an obvious defeat of the organ by rubbish or claws of the enemy. If any situation still leads to eye damage. do not tighten with first aid, treat the affected area as soon as possible. Regarding how to rinse a cat’s eyes, if they fester, everything is simple. you can use boiled water or herbal decoction.
Do not forget about such an item as. deworming. Worms cause double harm to the animal. In addition to the main, parasitic factor, helminths harm the animal, poisoning it with the products of their vital activity. And if a cat has watery eyes and festers, this is one of the signs of an allergic reaction caused by the activity of worms.
If the animal, for any reason, injured the area near the eye, take measures so that the pet does not scratch the affected area. An Elizabethan cat collar works well for this purpose. If you wish, you can do it yourself.
If you have a long-haired cat at home, prone to suppuration of the organs of vision, cut her hair around the eye. this will be a good preventive measure and a possible panacea for unwanted expirations.
In general, if you are interested in knowing why a cat’s eyes are festering, first of all think about how caring you are towards the pet:
- Do you vaccinate him;
- Conduct preventive examinations.
After all, timely care for the animal and the care of minor injuries help to avoid many complications, including problems affecting the eyes of a cat.
How to treat?
Treatment of festering eyes is primarily aimed at calculating and eliminating the cause that irritates the mucous membrane. The effectiveness of medical procedures depends on how correctly the diagnosis is made. If it is a bruise, the damaged area is cleaned with hydrogen peroxide. With blepharitis, deal with the cause that caused it. Conjunctivitis occurs. it’s time to see the veterinarian for complex treatment.
How to treat a cat with festering eyes? Even before meeting with the doctor, the cat needs first aid. If there is purulent thick discharge, then you need to rinse your eyes. One cannot do without an assistant, since it is very difficult to perform this procedure alone.
Why does a cat or cat have eyes festering??
Domestic pets are more gentle than their wild relatives. Of course, in street cats, eyes fester no less often. the way of life affects. But when a problem touches a well-groomed “apartment” fluffy, the caring owner will not ignore this alarming signal anyway. In this case, the desire to help and the desire to understand the situation is the first step towards alleviating the cat’s suffering and his successful recovery. After all, if the cat’s eyes fester or tears flowed, then your pet is sick. What to do? How to treat a cat in this situation? We will try to figure this out together today.
What drugs do doctors recommend?
Having found out why the cat’s eyes are festering, the veterinarian prescribes a set of restorative procedures:
- If, in addition to pus, swelling is present, the pet is prescribed a solution of novocaine and hydrocortisone.
- If the disease is acute, antibiotic injections are used.
- The consequences of a bruise are treated with Levomycetin.
- Locally prescribed Mizofen, Albucid, Bars.
- Medkinos, Lacrimin are isolated from solutions for washing the eyeball.
Other causes of festering eyes
When the owner notices that the cat’s eyes are festering and the pet sneezes at the same time, rubbing the nose from which the snot is flowing, he can hardly immediately find out the cause of the sneezing and increased discharge. The same applies to the measures that need to be taken to stop the problem. Establishing the factor that caused this violation, in this case, is a priority.
Common dust can cause sneezing. But if the animal sneezes constantly, this is an alarming symptom, indicating illness and abnormalities in the body.
For example, if a cat has a runny nose and eyes fester, this is a common sign of a cold. It can also be an allergic manifestation to irritants or an infection.
Cat allergies are one of the most common causes of eye suppuration. Allergens are everywhere:
- Means for pests, mosquitoes, flies;
- Perfume, household deodorants;
- Cleaning and detergents;
- Pollen of domestic plants;
- Mold, fungi on the walls;
- Cigarette smoke.
In addition to the main signs of allergies, such as when a cat’s eyes and nose fester, there are secondary symptoms of exposure to allergens:
- Hoarse breathing;
- General depression of the pet.
Each of these signs and all of them in combination is a reason to take the animal to the veterinary clinic. Doctors often face similar problems and know which antihistamine to prescribe when certain symptoms appear.
Important! It should be understood that if a cat’s eyes fester from an allergy, it will not work to treat the problem with antihistamines. They stop the problem for a while, but in order to save your pet from suffering forever, you will need to find an irritating allergen and get rid of it.
A cat’s eyes fester for various reasons:
- Poor health;
- Reduced immunity;
- Unkempt sleeping place;
- Insufficiently balanced feed.
Do not forget about hypothermia and drafts, because of which the cat’s eyes and snot fester especially often.
The first signs of a disease such as chlamydia are characterized by the appearance of a purulent ichor and subsequent inflammation of the cornea, mucous membrane.
The next reason why a cat has watery eyes and festers is atopic dermatitis. This is a seasonal disease of an allergic nature.
Don’t discount heredity. Cats with ancestors suffering from eye diseases are in a special risk group, the likelihood of developing pathologies in these pets is 50% higher.
Sometimes it happens that the pet is outwardly healthy. There are no visible symptoms of the disease, except for discharge, there are no secondary signs of infection or mechanical damage to the organ of vision. Analyzes also show a favorable result. Naturally, the owner of the animal has a reasonable question. why does the cat’s eyes fester if there is no reason for this?
In such cases, the answer must be sought in the literal sense of the cat’s eye. After all, the matter is most likely in congenital pathology:
- Incorrectly positioned hair follicle;
- Wrong position of the lower eyelid;
- Lashes in several rows;
- Lack of the lacrimal opening;
- Lacrimal sac defect.
An animal, being a kitten, already begins to experience discomfort from the influence of pathology, and with age and, as a consequence, an increase in the “defective area”, the symptoms become more pronounced. In our case, the cat’s eyes fester. What to do in this case. to solve the problem, usually by surgery.
It is impossible to self-medicate, only a doctor can choose the right medications.
The diagnosis is available only to a qualified employee of the veterinary clinic after the initial examination, the study of the test results. Self-diagnosis, like treatment, can have serious consequences for the cat. Indeed, even with certain diagnostic skills, without laboratory tests, one cannot be sure of the final diagnosis. Also, on your own, it is impossible to find out the individual tolerance of drugs, during treatment.
It is impossible to self-medicate, only a doctor can choose the right drugs.
This procedure is carried out using a decoction of chamomile, a solution of boric acid and furacilin. 2 tsp L. Boric acid should be dissolved in 0.5 tbsp. Water, furacilin solution should be 0.02%. Rinse only with a warm solution, not hot. Cotton wool needs to be twisted into a tight flagellum, dipped in a solution and squeezed out the liquid onto the pet’s eyeball. It is recommended to carry out the procedure until the eyes are clear.
In the process of work, the tampons must be changed; you cannot use the tampon more than once. Do not use cotton swabs as they do not absorb liquid. In order not to injure the cat’s eyeball, do not touch it with a dry swab.
The eyes are cleared of purulent discharge, it is now recommended to apply tetracycline eye ointment (1%) under the eyelids. It is necessary to pull back the lower eyelid and smear its inner cavity with a special spatula with ointment. Then you need to close the cat’s eye and massage it lightly. This will distribute the ointment evenly over the eye. It is recommended to warm the tube of ointment in your hands, so the applied product is better distributed over the eyeball.
How to treat a cat’s eye in case of injury
If the cat’s eye is swollen and festers after the pet has visited the street, it could be trauma. The animal could fight or injure the organ of vision about a twig. Most often, in these cases, people start thinking about brilliant green or iodine. What can I say. this processing is permissible, but you can only trust it to a qualified person. After all, these liquids, when they get on the conjunctiva, can cause a painful shock in the animal and, worse, lead to irreversible pathological processes in the eye.
The next point is what to do if the organ of vision is also swollen. If a cat has a swollen eye and festers, there is a reason. For example, a combination of a puffy eye and oozing exudate often indicates that a foreign object has entered the eye area. In this case, it is undesirable to help the animal “at home”. After all, you do not know what exactly got the pet in the eye, and suddenly it is a thorn that pierced the cornea. Accordingly, removing a foreign object can lead to increased damage, which will definitely harm the animal.
Corneal inflammation is slightly more harmless. If the disease is acute, then the cat’s eyes fester strongly, what to do in this case, you already know. go ahead to an appointment with the veterinarian.
A cat’s eyes fester. what to do?
Many owners of furry pets can sometimes have a problem when the cat’s eyes fester. Such a problem, of course, cannot but cause concern. In most cases, problems with the discharge of pus from the eyes are the result of some kind of inflammatory processes in the conjunctiva or eyeball that were not noticed in time. It will not be possible to determine the exact reason for the discharge of pus from the eyes without the help of specialists.
The nature of purulent discharge, like the general condition of a fluffy pet, depends on the main reason that led to their appearance:
- Bruises of the eyelids. In this case, bruising with possible crushing of adjacent tissues will be observed. Sometimes necrosis can form. There is a painful, hot swelling around the eye.
- Eyelid wounds. At the same time, gaping, bleeding, soreness, violation of the integral cover of the eyelid are detected.
- Blephoritis can be accompanied by itching, redness of the edges of the eyelids. Itching causes the cat to honor the eyes, thus further exacerbating the situation. A pyogenic microflora penetrates into the eye, most often it is staphylococci or streptococci. The eyelids may be swollen.
- Purulent conjunctivitis. With such pathologies, both eyes are most often affected, the process is accompanied by depression of the cat, pain and an increase in the local temperature in the eye area. Purulent outflows are at first liquid, then become thick. The conjunctiva is swollen, sometimes extending beyond the eye.
- Follicular conjunctivitis. The defeat of the lymph nodes on the inner surface of the third eyelid is accompanied by purulent outflows from the conjunctival sac. Swollen eyelids, soreness and photophobia.
Signs that should alert the owners and force them to seek help from a qualified veterinarian:
- When pus is released from the eyes, eyelashes stick together, they fall out, crusts can form that prevent the eye from opening;
- As a result of the constant flow of pus, the skin in the eye area becomes inflamed, hair falls out, eczema and dermatitis develop.
The diagnosis is made on the basis of a thorough examination, analysis of clinical signs, history taking and laboratory tests. In no case should you try to find out on your own the reason that provoked the appearance of purulent outflow from the eyes, and even more so, you should not treat the disease without the help of veterinary specialists.
Purulent outflows must be sent for research to the laboratory to determine the infectious origin and establish a response to antibiotic sensitivity.
Reasons for the discharge of pus from the eyes
There are many reasons as a result of which the eyes of cats begin to fester. Untreated conjunctivitis can play an important role when the treatment process was not carried out properly, or it was not brought to the full recovery of the animal. In this case, acute conjunctivitis, as the pathological process develops, turns into purulent, parenchymal or follicular, the main signs of which is the release of pus.
Another important point in the appearance of purulent outflows from the eyes can be called injuries or bruises of the eyelids, when the inflammatory process passes to the eyeball. Many factors contribute to the occurrence of injuries: fights, bumping into sharp objects during games and much more.
As a rule, any injury to the eyelids is accompanied by damage to the conjunctiva. Foreign objects trapped inside irritate the mucous membrane of the eye, causing inflammation. The danger of such damage is that foreign bodies can touch the sclera and cornea, opening the gate for the penetration of pyogenic infection.
Sometimes in cats you can find such a disease as blephritis, which occurs due to traumatic, chemical, thermal effects on the eyelids. As a result of such damage, microbes, viruses, pathogenic fungi can enter the eye, thereby infecting it.
Keratitis, or inflammation of the cornea, is another condition that can cause pus to drain from the eyes.
Treatment of purulent outflows consists primarily in eliminating the cause due to which the pathological process began. The purpose of therapeutic measures will depend on the correctly established reason:
- If the cause of the appearance of pus was a bruise, then this place is thoroughly cleaned with gauze tampons soaked in a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. This must be done carefully enough so as not to injure the conjunctiva even more. Then the eye is washed with a solution of potassium permanganate and eye drops with antibiotics are instilled.
- For injuries of the eyelids, proceed in the same way as in the treatment of bruises.
- With blephoritis, the cause is immediately eliminated. The cat is placed in a clean, well-ventilated area. Balanced nutrition is also important, since sometimes blepharitis can be caused by vitamin deficiencies. If there was a sticking of the eye with dried crusts of pus, they are softened with the help of petroleum jelly. After that, they are removed with a swab dipped in a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. The eye is washed with furacilin and eye drops are instilled. Eye ointments can also be used. With severe pain, 0.5% novocaine with an antibiotic is injected into the conjunctival sac. In the case when the process penetrates into the deep layers of the eye, general antibiotic therapy is indicated.
- With purulent and phlegmonous conjunctivitis, general and local treatment is carried out. The eye is washed 2-3 times a day with a 3% aqueous solution of boric acid, after which 5-10% synthomycin emulsion or any other eye ointment with antibiotics is placed under the lower eyelid. It is advisable to carry out anesthesia, for which a special novocaine blockade with an antibiotic is placed, which also has a therapeutic effect. Antibiotics are administered intramuscularly, and sulfa drugs can be given orally.
The author of the article: Marina Chuprinina, veterinarian, specialization parasitologist-bacteriologist, especially for Kota Obormot.
A cat has a swollen eye: the main causes and first aid
Not every pet lover has the knowledge and skills of a professional veterinarian. But the need for this, as a rule, arises infrequently. At the same time, it makes sense to know the possible causes of simple pathologies. For example, a cat has a swollen eye: what is it and why it can develop?
The main causes of eye swelling
First, the trauma. Surely everyone knows that when struck, the affected area swells noticeably. This phenomenon is called traumatic edema. Often times, swelling is the only visible sign that your cat has hit its head hard. After all, animals don’t have fingals.
Secondly, if the eye is not just swollen, but also hot to the touch, and exudate oozes from it, then, with a high probability, it can be assumed that some foreign object has got into it. It can be a thorn of a plant, sand, or something else. Do not try to remove this item yourself, as you, with a high degree of probability, will only harm your sick pet.
Thirdly, there is a possibility of conjunctivitis or other inflammation affecting some parts of the eyeball. But glaucoma is especially dangerous in this regard. It develops against the background of increased intraocular pressure, and the magnitude of the latter is such that the eye is noticeably “bulging” to the side. Signs of this particular pathology are a pronounced pain reaction, disorientation of the animal in space and other clinical manifestations.
Keratitis is also slightly more “harmless”. This is the name of the inflammation of the cornea. If the disease develops in an acute type, then the eye swells and swells greatly, a large amount of exudate is released from it, it watery.
Fourth, against the background of the annual “victorious march” of oncology, one should not exclude the possibility of a tumor, including a malignant one. You are unlikely to be able to find out about its availability on your own, and therefore we recommend that you urgently seek help from a veterinarian. Often, with neoplasms of malignant etiology, a cat may completely lose vision, or there is a loss of coordination. If the cat is swollen under the eye, then this symptom may indicate the growth of a neoplasm.
We must also not forget about blepharitis. This is the name of the inflammation of the eyelids. In this case, it is they who swell, and with the slightest pressure on the eye, the cat shows all the signs that it hurts. In mild cases, you first notice redness on the eyelid, which sometimes goes away spontaneously.
The eyelids become swollen, swollen, very hot and tense to the touch. At the same time, the cat will most likely constantly lie with closed eyes, since even blinking in this situation causes pain to the animal, and sometimes the eyelid simply does not open from severe edema.
Since we have already come to the eyelids eversion and volvulus. also unpleasant pathologies, often leading to a similar clinical picture. In cats, these ophthalmic disorders are much less common than in dogs, but this happens. When curled, accordingly, the eyelashes are in close contact with the cornea, scratching and “cutting” it. As a result, all the same inflammation and edema develops, the organ often festers strongly. When everted, the “insides” of the century dry up, crack, and therefore again become inflamed and swell.
Finally, a seemingly relatively harmless swelling of the eyelids may indicate dangerous pathologies of the cardiovascular and excretory systems. Simply put, the heart and the kidneys. If their functionality is reduced, then edema rapidly develops in the body. They also capture the eyes. As a rule, signs of swelling are observed on the example of other organs, so in this case, you should immediately show the cat to the veterinarian.
About first aid measures
So what to do with the cat? Immediately, we note that it is not worth doing something on your own, without consulting a veterinarian before. So you can only greatly harm the health of your pet, and in some cases even leave him without an eye.
But in mild cases of conjunctivitis, the owner can help the cat. To do this, you can use a weak solution of hydrogen peroxide. They moisten a cotton swab with it and gently wash off the crusts and liquid exudate that accumulates in the corners of the eye. At the same time, a tetracycline ointment is placed under the eyelid (pictured). It effectively relieves inflammation and reliably prevents the further development of pathogenic microflora.
To wash the eye itself, it is better to use a weak solution of either furacilin, or potassium permanganate. In the latter case, the color of the medicinal composition should be pale pink, since at higher concentrations, potassium permanganate can be dangerous for the cornea. In addition, good results are obtained by washing the eyes with broths of sage and chamomile. They have a bactericidal effect and also relieve puffiness and the main signs of the inflammatory process.
If your cat is relatively calm, you can try applying a cold compress to your eye. This will help relieve swelling, pain, and inflammation. Of course, such a simple way to cure a sore eye will probably not work, but at least you will stop the pain and make it easier for the animal to wait for the veterinarian’s visit. Do not rub or massage your eyes under any circumstances! So you will not only hurt the cat, but also contribute to the further development of the pathological process.