Dominant aggression in dogs: causes and correction of aggressive behavior
Demonstrative non-observance of commands, barking, growling and attack on people and other animals, inadequate “protection” of food, bowls, toys and one’s place, expression of displeasure or resistance when cutting, bathing and other hygiene procedures, “sudden deafness” while walking when prompted to the owner. this is just an incomplete list of problems faced by the owners of dogs showing dominant aggression. When faced with this behavior for the first time, most owners feel confused and angry. As a rule, the dog’s aggression is perceived as a surprise, and when talking about their problem, people often use the words “suddenly”, “out of the blue”, “for no reason”.
However, even if it seems to you that the dog bites, growls, attacks the owner, rushes at other people, dogs and cats for no apparent reason, in fact, the reasons for the dominant behavior of the dog always exist, and most often these are the owner’s mistakes committed long ago. before the dog first showed aggression and disobedience. In other words, the dominant behavior of the dog is those “flowers” that grow from the “seeds” sown by the owner, who misunderstands what a healthy relationship with a dog is.
Fortunately, in most cases the dog’s dominance and associated aggression can be corrected and corrected. However, it is much easier to prevent dominant aggression in a dog. This requires, first of all, to understand the essence and roots of the problem itself.
What is the reason for the dominant behavior of the dog
Domestic dogs, having lost quite a lot of the qualities of their wild fellows, nevertheless, remained pack animals, only now the families where they live are becoming their flocks. The dominant behavior of a dog is based on its ideas about the hierarchy in this pack and its own status in it. And if the ideas of “equality and brotherhood” are quite acceptable for a person, then the dog is distinguished by strictly hierarchical thinking. In order to feel confident and protected, it is vital for a dog to know what place in the hierarchy of the pack it occupies and who is the “leader”. And she has only two ways to find out: either the owner determines the place of the dog in the pack, or she will determine it herself. Guess what place the dog will try to take on its own, if it has such an opportunity? Of course, the place of the leader, who decides for himself when and what to eat, where to sleep, how to behave with strangers, etc. Thus, dominance is the behavior of the leader, and it is not necessarily expressed in open aggression.
Most often, the first manifestations of this behavior are quite harmless, and that is why the owners ignore them, preparing the ground for serious collisions with the dominant dog in the future. As already mentioned, “dominance”, “dominant behavior” often does not give the impression of being aggressive. In contrast, aggression is the attack of a dog in order to defend its dominant position. These include growls, bites, defiance, and escapes. The dog shows aggression when, through an oversight and inattention of the owner, she ALREADY decided that she occupies a dominant position in the pack, and the owner and other family members are trying, according to the dog, to challenge this position. Thus, it is necessary to separate the concept of “dominance” and “dominant aggression” of the dog. In order to prevent manifestations of dominant aggression, it is necessary from the first days of the appearance of the puppy in the house to suppress any manifestations of dominant behavior, no matter how harmless and even cute they may seem to you.
How to reeducate a dominant dog, what to do if the dog shows aggression
When dealing with a dominant individual, you must, first of all, adequately assess your own strength. Sometimes it happens that the dog simply has a higher level of energy and inner strength than its owner. In this case, the latter is unlikely to be able to convince the dog of his leadership. Remember. it is better not to enter into confrontation and open conflict with the dog if you are not sure that you can win. Do not compete with your dog in what it is really stronger than you (for example, in the strength of the jaws and speed of running). Choose areas for pressure in which you can fully maintain control: first of all, it is food, affection, attention in order to reward the desired behavior (and deprivation of all this in case of disobedience). It also works well to punish by restricting the dog’s freedom with a leash, muzzle, strict collar, or by putting it in a cage if it tries to impose its own behavior. If “soft” methods do not help, you can apply a physical impact to the dog: grab it firmly by the “scruff” (you can even lift it up into the air, if the size allows it) and rub it well. In some cases, a bite to the withers helps. this is how the “leader” puts other members of the pack in place. In no case do not retreat despite growling and resistance until the dog assumes the “posture of submission”. the tail is tucked in, the growling is stopped, the dog fins, sometimes even lies on its back with its belly up. If, in the course of sorting out the relationship with the dog in response to its resistance, growls and bites, the owner retreats (even going into another room for some object to punish the dog can be taken as a retreat). thus he only once again convinces the dog that that she is the leader. That is why it is necessary to sensibly assess your strengths, choosing the way to influence the dominant dog.
If the dog’s energy level significantly exceeds the owner’s strength, the best option for both is separation. However, in most cases it is quite possible to cope with dominant behavior.
Examples of dominant dog behavior:
As mentioned above, dominant behavior is the behavior of a leader who makes decisions himself, who leads the whole flock, who gets all the best! As a rule, different dogs show different signs of dominance, but in general terms, the behavior of the leader manifests itself as follows:
Also, there are often cases when there is no problem with obedience to the owner, but the dog growls at the child and other family members. Most likely, she recognizes the leader in the owner, but considers herself “the second person in the state.” It is unacceptable for a dog to consider someone in the family “lower” of itself.
Ways to prevent and correct the dominant behavior of the dog
As with any problem, dominant aggression is easier to prevent than to fix. Prevention of dominance is especially important when raising dogs of large breeds, as well as males and bitches, who are prone to fighting for the place of “leader” due to their character. Nevertheless, even a tiny Chihuahua, with the wrong upbringing, can become a real tyrant, no less dangerous than a pit bull or a Caucasian shepherd dog. In fact, the phrase “dominant dog breeds” is meaningless. most often we ourselves make out of sane animals uncontrollable monsters.
How to become a “leader” for a dog? Consider the areas of puppy-owner interaction where you can demonstrate leadership to the dog.
Place to rest and sleep: the dog should have its own, clearly defined place in the house (it is better that this was not an ordinary rag-bedding, but a comfortable bed for dogs), and from early childhood be accustomed to return and stay on it at the command “Place ! “. Many owners allow dogs to lie where they want. This is not a problem if, in general, the dog behaves obediently and does not show a strong desire to dominate, but in case of difficulties with dominant aggression, it is necessary to categorically suppress all attempts of the dog to perch in the place that belongs to the leader, that is, you. It is also useful to periodically sit in the dog’s place for a while, first driving it out of there. Also, the dog can show dominant behavior in this way: it simply lies down across the corridor or in the doorway and does not give way when it is necessary to walk past it. In order to demonstrate the behavior of the leader in this situation, you do not need to go around or step over the dog. just push it out of the way. Growling? So there is a problem with dominance).
Food: Train the dominant dog to start eating only on the command “Yes!” This is how you consolidate your leadership position. If your puppy is trying to defend the food by keeping you out of the bowl, try feeding him while holding the bowl with your hand. Then say “No” and take the bowl, then put it back and do not allow you to touch the food before the command “You can” sounds.
Game: To avoid the dog showing signs of dominance, follow a few simple rules:
1) the owner, not the dog, starts and ends the game;
2) toys must be given to the owner without question;
3) if you play tug-of-war with a dog. in no case give the toy if it starts to growl and show aggression: this will reinforce the idea in the dog’s mind that it is worth snarling. and he will get what he wants.
Weasel: it is unacceptable to caress the dog excessively, or to “console” the dog in any way in the event of undesirable behavior, such as aggression, cowardice or hysteria. Weasel should be done in a “dosed” manner and mainly as a reward for good behavior. It is difficult for humans to believe this, but setting clear boundaries and tough reasonable discipline makes a dog happier than continuous whispers and vague rules of behavior that do not give him a clear idea of the hierarchy in the pack.
Walking: dominant walking behavior is most often manifested in unwillingness to approach on command, as well as growling, barking and aggression towards people and animals without the permission of the owner. Many intelligent dogs, to consolidate their dominant position, use the trick with “sudden deafness” or when giving the command “Come to me!” sit down in the bushes “on business”, which gives them an “iron alibi” and the opportunity not to carry out the command. Such behavior is “treated” by methodical daily practice of the commands “Come to me!”, “Nearby”, “You cannot”, “Sit”, “Lie down”. Walking can also be used to release excess energy from the dominant pet: a dog who has spent a couple of hours working on the court or after an intense run will not have much strength left for the battle for leadership at home.
Hygiene procedures: it is necessary to teach the puppy as early as possible that the owner can do whatever he wants with him (within the framework of common sense, of course). The dog should unquestioningly allow cutting its nails and fur, washing its paws, examining its teeth, cleaning its ears, not resisting when it is necessary to give an injection or other unpleasant medical manipulations. This not only reinforces the owner’s leadership, but can also save your dog’s life in an emergency.
Obedience training, command execution: in addition to the obvious practical benefits of teaching commands, training as a form of interaction between a dog and a person in itself helps to avoid the dominant behavior of the pet, since in the process of working out commands the dog learns to FOLLOW the owner’s orders, that is, to get used to obedience and obedience. Also, with the help of commands, you can suppress unwanted forms of behavior: for example, it will be quite difficult for a dog who has been commanded to lie down to rush at passing cyclists in this position. Regardless of what breed your dog is and how small and harmless it is, do not neglect teaching basic OKD commands. this will greatly facilitate life in the future for the dog, yourself and others.
Algorithm for correcting aggressive behavior
1. Determine how your dog is exhibiting dominant behavior. You can even make a list, for example:
-does not allow you to take your bowl while eating;
-jumps on guests when they meet;
-on a walk he misses the command “Come to me”;
2. The next point is rather difficult. You need to observe your behavior and understand what actions contribute to the fact that the dog does not recognize you as a leader. Here you can also make a list, for example:
-if the dog does not approach me, I repeat the command many times, or I simply ignore its behavior, agreeing that it does not listen to the command;
-I retreat when the dog growls at me;
-I praise the dog just like that, even if she just did something bad.
Ask other family members and friends for their perspective on what you are doing wrong with your dominant dog.
3. Write down how you plan to change your behavior in relation to each manifestation of the dog’s dominant behavior:
-I will start practicing commands with the dog that it does not follow;
-I will stop giving the dog pieces from the table and feed him first;
-I will punish the dog when dominant aggression is shown and not back down when growling and other manifestations of discontent on its part.
4. Start working with the dog as soon as possible according to the chosen scheme. Practice the commands methodically and consistently and stop all attempts of the dog to dominate. Explain to loved ones that the dog has problems with dominant aggression, and ask them not to reward it. If you find it difficult to isolate your mistakes on your own, seek help from an instructor who will help you develop the correct line of behavior. There is also a wealth of literature available today on dog training and behavioral management to help you address aggressive dog dominance problems. Remember. in order for something to change in the behavior of the dog, first of all, it is necessary to change the behavior of its owner.
Aggression outside the group
The biological function of aggression outside the group is self-defense, protection of other members of the group and the protection of food supplies that guarantee the survival of the group in conditions of competition with other groups of congeners. At the same time, for dogs that had contact with relatives in the past, and living in a human family starting from the age of several weeks, both dogs and people can act as groups of relatives.
Defense aggression. the dog attacks with a defensive purpose
Group defensive aggression can also take more personal forms. This is caused by frequent encounters with some neighbors who regularly pass by the house or children living on the same street, dog owners who constantly meet on walks, or people who regularly come to the house (postman). The hostile relationship between a dog and certain people can take on such a serious form that the dog will react more viciously to them than to strangers. This problem can develop in different ways. Victims of aggression can lose their temper when they hear barking, and in response to it, wave their arms, make threatening gestures, shout, throw various objects. This will only increase the dog’s aggressive behavior.
Children teasing a dog provoke a similar reaction. The barking of a dog arouses the attention of children and gradually the provocation of barking becomes a kind of sport for children, which they practice on the way home. The fear of a person who is used to being afraid of dogs can, at each new meeting, cause an aggressive reaction of the dog, and in a stronger form. It is unclear why shy people are very often the subject of group defense aggression by dogs. As already mentioned, such people look especially closely at dogs or behave strangely from the point of view of an animal. The last example relates to nearby dog owners with whom the dog has had problems in the past. It is possible that in an effort to stop or prevent the fight, these people scolded the dog. It is possible that the behavior of the owner of another dog, who tried to separate the fighting animals, was perceived by the dog as a threat.
To understand and solve problems of this kind, it is necessary to act in the same way as when showing aggression towards strangers. However, in this case, there is another potentially important element of therapy. it is possible to modify the behavior of the victim of aggression. You can talk to the parents of children who tease the dog. You can also reach out to people who regularly walk by the house and react to the dog in a fearful or aggressive way, and ask them to just ignore its behavior. Ignoring the dog’s behavior can lead to the elimination of initiating or rewarding stimuli that were the cause of the animal’s deviant behavior.
The dog bites the owner. what to do in case of aggression towards familiar people
Aggression during the game
The aggressive play of young dogs can be a problem for some owners. Dogs playing aggressive games can be dangerous, especially for small children and the elderly or weak. Sometimes dog owners and veterinarians assume more severe forms of aggression in such cases and seek the advice of ethologists.
Protecting offspring is commonly referred to as maternal aggression. This defensive reaction is also observed in males when a person or other animal living in the family approaches the puppies or the place where the dog family lives. This is one of the most understandable and simple problems that a veterinarian, as a rule, solves himself, without involving a consultant ethologist.
Dominant dog aggression. causes and symptoms
than half of the cases of animal aggressive behavior directed against humans relate to aggression towards family members, i.e. Aggression within a social group. over, in 72% of cases it was about the aggression of rivalry or the so-called aggression of the struggle for leadership. In 56 dogs (approximately 38%), the degree of aggression ranged from moderate to strong.
Leadership aggression against family members always occurs in one of the two situations described below. A dog and a family member compete for possession of something:
- When a family member tries to take food or objects from the dog (for example, bones, toys, napkins) or approaches it at the moment when it is holding any of these objects next to it.
- When one family member approaches or touches another family member who is the dog’s “favorite” or another dog (for example, a female in heat).
- When a family member approaches a dog lying in its place, or interferes with its rest or sleep (usually, this is considered to be a competition for a place to rest or sleep).
- When a family member enters a dog-occupied area or in a narrow corridor wants to walk past the dog in the opposite direction.
The owner demonstrates his superiority over the dog by his behavior. This behavior includes:
- Scratching, brushing, bathing the dog, carrying out various medical procedures, wiping;
- Touching the paws or face of an animal;
- Situations where the owner lifts, pushes or pulls the dog;
- Puts on her collar, tugs or pulls on the leash;
- Stares at her or threatens her, swears or shouts at her, constantly commands, hits;
- Grabs her or leans over her.
Many of these actions are not perceived by people themselves as a demonstration of superiority. However, it is this behavior that often causes the dog’s leadership aggression or self-assertion aggression, because it is very similar to the demonstration of superiority among dogs.
Other Common Signs of Leadership Aggression
Often the owners claim that the attack of the dogs was not provoked by anything, while the dogs themselves, who suddenly showed aggression in situations that they perceived normally the day before, are called “capricious” or unpredictable.
Attacks are often more vicious than other aggressive behaviors and can lead to skin damage. Dog bites can be very deep and leave scars. Often the owners have to see a doctor or even go to the hospital.
During the attack, the dog does not look like itself, grins, growls, rushes. Almost all owners notice a strange shine in the eyes of dogs. In addition, other aggressive gestures can be observed, for example, raised ears and tail, tousled hair on the nape and back, gaze directed at the target.
Often, the dog exhibits species-typical behavior close to the struggle for leadership, for example, stares at family members until they look away, or “puts itself higher” by placing its front paws or muzzle on the knees or shoulders of the person. Such dogs are most often friendly and harmless to strangers, so veterinarians have the opinion that the problem is not in the dog at all, but in people. However, this problem only manifests itself in the relationship between the dog and family members and becomes apparent to outsiders only if their stay in the house lasts more than one day.
People who have a lot of experience with dogs, such as trainers or veterinarians, almost never have problems with such dogs. However, among dogs, there are also real “tough nuts” who behave aggressively in pursuit of leadership (they end up in dog shelters), who are not impressed by the demonstration of superiority on the part of experienced professionals. Such dogs can be aggressive for the most minor reason, for example, when trying to lead them in a direction where they do not want to go.
Dogs are not necessarily aggressive towards all family members. Much more often it happens that they are more likely to show aggression and / or behave more aggressively towards certain people living in the house.
With the exception of the situations of competition and confrontation described above, which are a common cause of aggression in the struggle for leadership, dogs, in general, behave friendly towards family members. They tend to be obedient, and like all other dogs, they ask for food and a little attention. However, almost without exception, the owners of such dogs call them stubborn, self-willed and not obedient enough. When a dog really wants to do something different, such as play with or fight another dog, he is likely to completely ignore the commands of family members. Owners understand that the dog lacks respect for them.
Many owners are able to recognize the first symptoms of incipient aggression, for example, when the animal tenses up and begins to look at the owner sideways and with a strange look. In this case, the owner knows that he must immediately stop his actions in order to avoid the manifestation of aggression from the dog. In general, family members recognize the need to be careful with the dog in certain situations. It often turns out that the problem of the dog’s aggressiveness existed long before the meeting with the specialist, it is just that the owners have so far avoided the dog’s attacks, fulfilling its wishes.
You should not physically punish or severely scold such dogs for their aggressive behavior, since K. This inevitably causes an even stronger manifestation of aggression. Most often, quite a long time after the problem arises, the owners try to respond with force to force in order to restrain the dog’s aggression, but the animal’s vicious reaction overwhelms them. Basically, the owners are not prepared to complete the fight with their dog, as an instructor who trains police dogs could do. They don’t know how to fight a dog so that it doesn’t bite you. After one or two bites, such people give up and stop fighting, which further strengthens the dog’s confidence in his superiority over the owner.
Family members admit they have fear of the dog. However, according to them, this was not always the case, the dog became aggressive towards the owner and other family members.
Some of these dogs set completely arbitrary and rather unusual rules of behavior for their owners:
- For example, the owner is not allowed to open a certain drawer in the kitchen cabinet, or the hostess is not allowed to go to bed before the owner. The examples given are taken by the author from his practice. In the case of a woman who was only allowed to go to bed after her husband, it ended up having to sleep on the sofa every time her husband worked the night shift.
- In another case, the German Shepherd “ordering” the owner’s daughter to release her through the back door into the garden, each time uttered a deep guttural growl. Two deep bite wounds for “disobedience convinced the girl of the dog’s seriousness, and she did not try to contradict her.
Shocked by the evil behavior of the dog and completely not understanding his pet, in all other respects such a cute and playful animal, the owners of the frequencies begin to assume that he has a serious brain disease. In many of the most severe cases, correcting deviant behavior can only bring partial success. Many dogs with pronounced aggressive behavior in the struggle for leadership, even despite the pedantic fulfillment of all the recommendations of an ethologist by the owner, continue to threaten or attack family members, and ultimately it becomes too dangerous to leave such a dog in the house.
Behavior correction. how to stop a dog from biting its owner
In simple cases, when the dog growls, but does not pose a potential danger:
- Show the dog who is more important. Whenever she growls at you, scold her or punish her in other ways enough to stop her growling immediately.
- Regular obedience exercises and generally stricter handling of the dog are recommended. Never reward a dog for his annoying or demanding behavior, or give him what he wants.
If the dog bites family members or presents a potential hazard:
- Temporarily avoid any situations of aggressive confrontation, do not do anything that regularly provokes aggression, and / or immediately stop all actions as soon as the dog becomes aggressive.
- Completely ignore the dog when it comes up without a command and requires attention, contact from the owner, begs to be petted, given food, etc.
- Never give your dog what it wants if it begs or demands it.
- “Nothing in life is given for free.” Before receiving anything (for example, food, petting, walking), the dog must execute commands such as “sit”, “stand”, “to me” or “place”.
- For the execution of commands the dog can only be stroked a little as a reward. No caresses.
- Do not let your dog climb onto chairs and couches or enter the bedroom.
- Make the dog stand up and let the owner pass if it lies in its path.
- The dog should not have toys, rubber bones, etc.
- The owner should not be enthusiastic about the dog when it returns home. He must behave with restraint and indifference, as if “accepting” the dog’s greeting.
- Competitive, aggressive and power play should be avoided. It is best not to play with the dog at all, but instead go to the park every day where he can play with other dogs.
- rigor in all situations where the dog tolerates it.
- Walk the dog on a leash for at least half an hour every day, often change the direction and speed of movement, do this without warning and until the animal begins to obey you without the slightest sign of aggression.
- Train your dog to run up to the owner faster and more confidently when he is on the street without a leash. To do this, regularly use a reward with a treat or change direction without looking back at the dog or waiting for it.
- Never let your dog walk through the door first. Teach her to be the first to let her through the master’s door.
- Family members who do not have any problems in the relationship with the dog should completely ignore it for some time, not feed, pet, talk or play with it.
Many owners find the theory of the pack quite compelling, and they immediately accept it. While you can see from the face of the owners that they have doubts about whether they will be able (or willing) to comply with the strict recommendations of the specialists, they, by and large, are convinced that the problem is as it is presented by the medical specialist. and the methods of treatment are reasonable and logical. However, often the problem is how to withstand this kind of competitive situation with your dog for the time required for treatment. In essence, owners perceive themselves as parents towards their dogs and do not consider themselves to be their rivals. Therefore, they do not feel very well when they are forced to ignore the friendly treatment of the dog, push it out of the way and generally treat it, from their point of view, callous, cruel and selfish.
How can owners be more willing to cooperate in such cases? Sometimes it is enough to slightly change the logic of the experts’ recommendations. Below we will look at this modified “concept pack”. This does not mean that there should be more truth in your explanations than in the explanations of other consultants, or that you should come up with something else. Rather, it is an alternative approach to the problem that may increase the willingness of some pet owners to cooperate.
An example of a behavioral modification technique to train a dog to respond calmly to brushing
- Use your dog’s favorite treats to train him to follow, sit, seat, and stand commands when he is to be brushed. Don’t give your dog any treats in other situations.
- Determine how you can touch the dog with your hands or brush to avoid provoking aggression. Find out exactly what kind of brushing the dog is taking without growling (for example, 3-4 light touches with the brush are not dangerous, however, prolonged and intensive brushing with the brush can already be dangerous).
- Encourage your dog to sit quietly or stand while brushing and not growl when you brush or touch it during the day when doing these exercises.
- As soon as the dog gets used to this “game”, begin very carefully to expand the limits of what is permitted (for example, try to brush longer and more vigorously).
- Once the dog gets used to it, change the rules again so that it gets accustomed to tolerate brushing even longer if it wants to receive a reward.
- If the dog begins to growl at some point during this procedure, do not reward it with a treat; wait a few minutes and start again from the previous exercise (for example, lighter brush strokes). Stay at this level for a while before starting to gradually increase the intensity / duration of the neck touch again. this time, act more slowly than on the last attempt.
The classic approach to the problem is to explain to the client that he should act like an alpha animal, or the leader of the pack. An alternative approach, on the contrary, assumes that the owner must change his attitude towards the dog and treat it in the same way as an adult animal treats a puppy. In such a relationship, the question of leadership never really arises. It should be made clear to dog owners that behavioral interventions are effective because they in principle reduce the dog’s tendency to regard family members as “equal” and at the same time encourage its willingness to treat them the way a young puppy treats adult pack members.
This alternative approach opens up new opportunities for convincing clients to apply recommended behavioral interventions that they find unnatural and unpleasant. Below are some suggestions on how to educate dog owners about the specialist advice.
- Most dogs behave like puppies or young animals towards family members throughout their lives. They would never threaten them in situations in which they might threaten other dogs to show them their superior position or claim their rights to certain objects or bones.
- However, dogs that exhibit leadership aggression do not seem to fully understand how to behave towards family members. In some situations, they do not react to them as adults of a higher rank, but rather as equals to other dogs with which they play together in the park for walks. As a result, they threaten or bite family members in situations in which this type of aggression occurs regularly between dogs.
- For a successful solution to the problem, it is necessary that the owner changes the nature of his attitude towards the animal and begins to treat him, rather, as an adult dog treats young members of the pack, while avoiding certain actions that induce the dog to look at him as an equal.
Some of these recommendations can be rude and unpleasant to dog owners. In this case, they should be reminded that ignoring the dog’s attempts at communication or forcing it to give up is an imitation of the normal behavior of an adult animal in relation to a young one. This will teach the dog to treat its owners differently.
Why did the cat become aggressive
Sudden aggression in cats is a fairly common problem in families with such a pet. You can often hear stories about an angry cat showing aggression quite suddenly, although for many years it was gentle and docile. At the same time, the animal rushes at the owners and guests, hisses and does not go into the hands. There are many reasons for this behavior of the tailed beasts.
By their nature, cats are non-aggressive animals, on the contrary, they are very kind to people, especially if they respond to them with mutual sympathy. If the pet grew up in a good atmosphere with caring and kind owners, regularly received a portion of affection and tenderness, then the cat’s aggression is not observed. It happens, of course, that such a trait is part of a breed characteristic, in this case the cat is always angry, and its behavior is practically impossible to adjust.
For example, white cats are considered more aggressive than others. Most likely, this is due to the predominance of Angora blood in them. Their ill will can also be explained by the fact that many representatives of the Turkish Angora are deaf, and therefore always feel insecure. These animals do not hear danger from behind, so they should be on the guard all their lives. Blue cats take the second place in terms of manifestations of aggression, with what this is connected with them. it is unknown!
As a rule, cats show aggressiveness quite suddenly. Most stories about such incidents begin roughly the same. an angry cat attacks its owner without a voice warning, and bites and scratches him so hard and painfully that it seems he wants to kill him. After the attack, the animal is in an agitated and even nervous state, its pupils are dilated, the heartbeat is rapid, the tail is shaking, and after a while the attack is repeated again.
over, the rest of the time the animal does not behave this way and aggressiveness
Aggression in dogs. What to do and how to remove
What to do if annoying
Aggression in cats, reasons why cats hiss and scratch, rush to people
Aggression in cats, the reasons why cats hiss and scratch, rush at people are consequences of the problem associated with aggression in cats, which is much more common in dogs than in cats. However, for a relatively large number of owners, cat aggressive behavior is a serious problem. Aggression in cats is fraught with serious consequences. Injury to humans and animals and zoonotic infections are real risks, so owners should not be complacent about this.
The nature of aggressive responses in cats is largely due to natural behavioral responses as well as their social and communication systems. The cat has several subtle postures and facial expressions used to relieve tension and avoid physical conflict. The latter is extremely important for a solitary hunter, as it prevents bodily harm that threatens the cat’s survival. In addition, cats use a variety of vocal cues to facilitate their communication. For the cat, fighting is the last resort in a line of behavioral defensive strategies.
The threshold for aggressive reaction is lowered by stress factors, internal or external. When complaining of cat aggression, it is necessary to exclude any painful pathological processes, for example, dental diseases, damage to the central nervous system (for example, a brain tumor), endocrine and metabolic disorders (for example, hyperthyroidism or hypervitaminosis A), and in older cats, the presence of cognitive dysfunction ( decreased function of the cerebral cortex, including memory and learning).
Aggression in dogs: understanding the causes and remedies
There are no natural aggressive, angry or bad dogs! Not a single animal turns into a “bloodthirsty monster” in one day. However, aggression in dogs is a pressing problem for both stray and domestic pets. If we consider the “statistics of bites”, then 70% of the victims. the elderly and children, and 40% of the total, received injuries to the face or head. Naturally, the numbers vary depending on the type of territory, population density, the use of sterilization and measures to control the number of animals at the legislative level.
What to do?
There is only one recipe: to show the dog that she is the youngest creature in the house, literally “below the turtle.” And it doesn’t matter that this is a huge alabai bravely defending your courtyard. For strangers, he is a terrible fighter, and in your pack. the youngest member. Is always! The same goes for the tiniest Yorkie or Chihuahua.
Any dog can bite. In order for the dog to clearly learn that in this house the owner is not she, it is necessary for her to clearly demonstrate her superiority and punish her attempts to establish her leadership. The superiority of the leader is proved by the fact that he
Secrets of Proper Training
Training a four-legged prankster is a rather difficult process that requires attention and patience from the owner. It is better to achieve what you want with the help of persuasion and bait, completely avoiding physical coercion or violence. You cannot raise your voice or shout, so as not to frighten the dog, condemnatory words should be replaced with softer ones. For example, if a pet does something wrong, do not say “Bad!”, It is better to say “Oh!” or something similar. The dog must be trained by the same person. either a family member or a specially invited specialist.
One of the main conditions for successful training is the ability to stop in time, giving the dog a rest. The pet should perceive the whole process as a game, and not a grueling chant of commands. For every success, even small, the dog needs to be praised, combining stroking and tasty treats. Thus, the owner will establish a strong bond between himself and the pet, establish a high level of mutual respect. Having learned a few commands, do not forget to repeat them constantly. this is a great help for new tricks.
Watch your dog closely: if it is you
Why the dog growls at the owner and what to do in this situation?
If the dog growls at the owner, then he has big problems with raising the pet. These are the biggest problems that can only be. the violation of the hierarchy in the pack. The dog is deeply hierarchical, like any pack animal.
In her understanding, there can be no equals in a pack. There is a ladder on which each creature takes its own step. And if a dog allows itself to growl at its owner, it means that it considers itself the leader of your whole pack, that is, your family. And if there are children or old people in the family, they are at risk.
The dog can consider them the lowest members of the pack and can already allow itself not only to growl, but also to bite. And if a dog sees that its owner, according to its concepts, cannot cope with the functions of a leader, it will strive to become a leader itself. According to the dog, the leader has a number of advantages that no one else has the right to.
This is the ability to sleep in the highest and softest place and be the first to eat. The leader always goes ahead if there is no room for two, etc. If the owner allows the dog to sleep on his pillow (the highest and softest place) and feeds it first, then he is clearly not the leader. And if suddenly he tries to drive the dog off the pillow or reaches out to the bowl where there is still food, he will start to growl.
Why the dog became “biting”?
Animals can show desperate aggression only in three cases. in pain, fear or competition. If we talk about uncontrolled (abnormal, atypical) aggression, which develops gradually, then the “root” of the problem is “buried” in poor-quality breeding, lack of upbringing or violation of conditions of detention.
Correcting the dog’s behavior is the only method of struggle. Beating, isolation, humiliation will never solve the problems of uncontrolled aggression, on the contrary, they will aggravate them. If a puppy lives in your house, remember, the words of the truly great dog handler and trainer Ed Frauli. there are no problem dogs, there are problem owners. All types of aggression in dogs arise from the negative influence of the “human factor”.
I believe that the breeders are primarily to blame for bringing a new generation of puppies to the market every six months.
Of course, among them there are real professionals who take their work or hobby seriously and responsibly. Seriously, this means that they monitor all cases of the appearance of puppies with such a heredity and, at least, do not sell them to inexperienced people, and experienced ones are warned about the level of puppy dominance, and as a maximum, such puppies are put to sleep. This is the downside (dark) side of this profession.
Unfortunately, most of the breeders breed their bitches with only one goal in mind. to make a profit. Their task is to get as many offspring as possible from a female breed popular today. She gave birth to seven puppies. all seven will be sold, gave birth. twelve puppies. great, the profit will be even greater. After all, you need to “catch” the moment! Soon there will be many dogs of this breed and it will cease to be fashionable.
Therefore, a lot of dogs of two extreme, obviously problematic psychophysiological types appear on the market every year. dominant and cowardly (not dominant).
Aggressive dog owners are lonely and defenseless!
Now you, owners of aggressive pets, I hope it is clear that you are powerless against this mass of amateurs, deceivers and “true believers”!
If you declare your problems on dog forums on the Internet, then this whole “pack” will attack you like a plague. To begin with, she will blame you for what happened, then these “dog educators” will offer you thousands of absolutely useless “methods of correcting” the dog, and when you offer them to take your dog for “education”, of course, they will tactfully keep silent.
Wines of dog breeders (ordinary dog owners).
Fortunately for everyone, despite the ongoing chaos in dog breeding, most puppies are born with an optimal psychotype and therefore do not show aggression towards owners and strangers, even if the latter treat them inhumanly, without training them, but punishing them for any “offense” ( by the way, these methods of “education” are common for any despotic state and are not condemned by society).
The owners of these dogs are firmly convinced that the lack of aggression in pets is solely their merit. They are “brilliant educators”, “brilliant trainers”, “brilliant zoopsychologists”! And, therefore, buzzing from their own uniqueness, they also sing along to journalists in every way. “Only from a dog’s life, a dog is biting!”.
The problem of hidden evidence.
The author of this term, mathematician, philosopher and successful trader, Nassim Nicholas Taleb.
In his magnificent book The Black Swan, referring to Cicero, he gives the following story.
“The Greek philosopher Diagoras, nicknamed the Atheist, was shown images of people who prayed to the gods and were saved in a shipwreck. The implication was that prayer saves from death. Diagoras asked: “Where are the images of those who prayed, but still drowned?” It is not so easy for devout drowned men to express their opinions from the bottom of the sea for the reason that they are dead. “.
He further cites the opinion of Michel de Montaigne and Francis Bacon, who saw in this story an example of the origin of all superstitions. In particular, Bacon wrote: “This is the basis of almost all superstitions. in astrology, in dreams, in beliefs, in predictions and the like.”.
The book is wonderful and I recommend reading it to everyone who wants to understand the nature and role of chance in our life.
I hope that you understand that in citing these extracts from Nassim Taleb from the book “The Black Swan”, I want to say that the belief in “unconditionally loving human dogs” is akin to the superstition of our days. And that, starting a conversation about aggressive dogs, we raise the problem of hidden evidence. we do not know how many dogs really attack people, because their owners prefer to remain silent, feeling condemned by society.
If dogs with hereditary aggression appear regularly, and the owner is not really to blame for this, then who is to blame? Let’s figure it out.
What to do for an aggressive dog owner?
What can I advise you, a specialist in correcting aggressive dog behavior? I’ll try to consider the problem from different angles.
First, a few practical tips.
- Do not take your dog to the training area. training courses on them are designed to cull dogs like yours
- Do not hand it over for training to a specialist who offers you to correct the dog’s aggression in one or two months. During this period, you can only beat a dog to death (and a dog. super dominant will prefer death to slavery and violence). Professional dog training lasts at least six months, because only during this time, if we do not beat, but train the dog, persistent stereotypes of behavior. habits are formed in it! Ask such a specialist to show a “portfolio”. to give the addresses of the owners of the dogs, in which this specialist corrected the aggression, and talk to them. So you will solve the problem of “hidden evidence”.
Now I will share with you general considerations, after which you, I hope, will take decisive steps and you will not be tormented by remorse.
- Since, in the overwhelming majority of cases, you have acquired a dog with such heredity, no matter how you treat it (caressing, feeding the best food from your table, kissing and hugging, sleeping in the same bed, walking until you drop, trained at the OKD course a lot years in a row or punished), your dog will bite and the danger will increase as it grows and gains “combat experience”.
- If a puppy or a young dog (up to one and a half years old) shows aggression, and you are a disciplined, persistent, motivated and sufficiently athletic owner (a man or a woman. it does not matter), then you will cope with the problem on your own by completing our leadership-role training course for dogs ( LYROS) without assistance.
- If you have an adult dog (two or more years old) and you do not possess any of the above advantages, then without the help of a professional, you cannot cope with the problem.
- Even after training, life with a dominant (aggressive) dog. It assumes strict observance of the rules of “feeding”, “cleaning the territory”, “walking”, “communication and training” formed by training, that is, compliance with a certain “Charter”. For emotionally stable and disciplined people, this does not pose a problem, while for people with an unbalanced psyche and unresolved personality problems, a dominant dog will be dangerous for both the owner and the people around him.
- If you are an average dog lover, that is, you did not acquire it for “military operations” and life with it according to the “Charter of the Garrison and Guard Service”. Then consider that you are simply unlucky and you have not purchased “your dog”! So part with her as soon as possible.
- When buying a puppy, invite a specialist to test the level of his dominance, which can be determined in puppies at one month of age (while working, I often did this at the request of clients).
- Having purchased a puppy, do not play “Russian roulette”, immediately start training your pet according to the only course that aims to achieve harmony in the relationship with the dog. leadership-role training of dogs (LYROS).
- If you prefer risk (decided to raise a dog without training) and she began to attack you or your family members, then honestly admit to yourself. do you need such a dog?
- If you have small children in your family, get rid of the dog immediately, as her life is worth nothing next to the tears and pain of our children.!
- Do not shift the problem onto the shoulders of other people, leaving the aggressive dog in “good hands”.
I have an aggressive dog. What to do?
I hear this question quite often, more often than I would like. But such is the reality. among dogs of any breed, in some more often (service, hunting), in others less often (decorative) there are individuals with a hereditary predisposition to aggression.
In this article I want to show the general picture of this phenomenon and give recommendations to owners who are “lucky” to acquire such a dog.
And the first thing I want to say, since you have acquired a dog with such heredity, you cannot be blamed for this.
Since the cash flow in this business is very large, the next problem arises from here. no one wants to hear about dog aggression again! This will reduce their attractiveness to the new wave of buyers.
Everyone is vying with each other about the fact that dogs of each breed “love children”, “protect family members from criminals”, “smart” and “brilliant” and so on and so forth.
The lobby is so powerful because all these “votes” were paid for by a significant amount of banknotes.
Therefore, the topic of dog aggression is not popular among journalists who breed all these “fables” about “honesty” and “decency”, “universal love” of dogs for us and other, other nonsense!
The Wines of Dog Sport Trainers.
Since really competent specialists. trainers in our country can be counted on the fingers of one hand, and the mass of instructors for domestic sports dog training courses. OKD (general course of training) and ZKS (protective guard service, read. service in a concentration camp) significantly exceeds the critical one, then the effectiveness of their work on training grounds (despite the support of the state) is extremely low.
And since specialists in the correction of problematic dog behavior are not trained in the country, they are trying to be replaced by the above-mentioned instructors who offer owners of aggressive dogs for a decent reward to fix this problem in one or two months (?).
And of course they correct it, I have no doubt about it, because at one time I carefully read the literature on torture at the Lubyanka, when even the “loyal Leninists” confessed to all possible crimes against the party and the people. Agree that such specialists will “fix” not only your aggressive dog in two months!
If you do not have the time and money to train your dog and you have made a difficult but wise decision to euthanize (humanely euthanize) an aggressive pet, act decisively. invite your veterinarian home. An intelligent and competent veterinarian will never condemn you for this!
And one more comforting argument. Be aware that in any civilized country, when a dog attacks a person, the laws require the immediate euthanasia of the animal. They won’t even ask you for consent!
Therefore, I repeat once again, if your dog shows aggression towards people (first of all, towards family members), then in the vast majority of cases, you are not to blame for this.!
Be courageous in your decision, I will always be on your side!
You can get detailed information about the new methodology of leadership-role teaching of dogs by purchasing my book.
And in order to have more joy and less grief in our dog world, we decided to open the Ploskov Dog Training School. Announcement of student recruitment will be published on the website shortly.