Ovariectomy is a simple veterinary procedure to remove the ovaries (sometimes together with the uterus) in bitches. It is possible to carry out the procedure with minimal surgical intervention, which increases its cost. There are only 5 types of pregnancy prevention.
|Classic||Removal of the ovaries and uterus by cutting the abdomen along the sides or along the white mowing line.|
|Partial||It is carried out in the same way as the classical one, but the uterus is left. Recommend the procedure to young people.|
|Tubal occlusion||Operation with dubious effectiveness, based on ligation of the fallopian tubes, in order to avoid the entry of sperm into the uterus.|
|Endoscopic||Introduction of a manipulator and an endoscope into the belly, the procedure is tracked on a computer monitor, this allows you not to cut the belly.|
|Chemical||The introduction of injections that block heat and estrus, reduce fertility. The method requires regular repetition, hits the liver and the general health of the body.|
Puppies mature by 8-10 months, at this time the first estrus begins (depending on the breed and genetic predispositions; small dogs flow earlier). Large breeds are distinguished by late maturation and maturation, it is more difficult to determine the optimal period for them, therefore the opinions of specialists are divided.
Preparation for sterilization
To be sure of the effectiveness and accuracy of an oophorectomy, it is better to choose a clinic in advance, discuss all questions with a veterinarian, invite, if necessary, a specialist at home, discuss the date and final cost.
On average, the operation costs 4,000-10,000 rubles, depending on the drugs used for anesthesia and the method of sterilization.
The animal must be healthy. this is the most important criterion for operating. They monitor their well-being for 3 days, measure the temperature in the morning and in the evening. Indicators should be normal: 37.5-39 ° C. A strong healthy dog has good appetite, playful mood, wet cold nose, no signs of poisoning (diarrhea, vomiting).
Compulsory deworming is carried out in two weeks. They cleanse the worms with medication, inject suspensions or tablets (Milbemax, Prazitex, Drontal Plus). It is also recommended to get rid of ectoparasites (fleas, ticks) that cause postoperative complications.
The pet must be vaccinated by age, the term of vaccination is no later than 1 year. An unvaccinated animal poses a threat to the veterinarian. And the risk of getting serious infectious diseases without the necessary injections increases.
FEMALE DOG IN HEAT | TIPS 101 | What to do | Herky the Cavalier
To avoid nausea and vomiting under anesthesia, the pets are not fed 10-12 hours before the procedure. In the evening, the animal is deprived of food, in the morning they are taken away and drink.
Is it possible to neuter a dog before the first heat
Some recommend surgery 1-2 months before the start of the cycle change. But it is almost impossible to calculate this period for the owner himself. Therefore, the best option is an oophorectomy 2 months after the onset of estrus.
You can consult with the breeder, find out how the mother, grandmother, sisters of the pet matured. This will help determine the approximate time for the operation. In the veterinary clinic, tests for the presence of hormones are taken, after which the specialist will give recommendations on sterilization
Pregnancy and childbirth
Termination of pregnancy or childbirth in bitches is a dangerous operation, during which the animal loses a lot of blood. Experts recommend that dogs give birth and feed conceived babies, and in case of unwanted fertilization, interrupt the course early with medication.
Sterilize or not
Each owner decides for himself whether to sterilize the female or not. The procedure does not have any reasonable harm to health, but it does provide benefits. Of course, purebred bitches intended for breeding do not operate without serious reasons (diseases of the genital or reproductive).
Such girls are knitted only through the nursery to obtain official offspring with documents and pedigree. Experts select a quality dog. The owner takes full responsibility for and reselling the babies.
Representatives of the pet class (animals with small deviations from the standard) are rarely brought together, “for health”, and then sterilized, because this helps to correct behavior and prevents infectious and sexual diseases. The advantages of the operation include:
- balancing the psyche, suppressing aggression during the sexual hunt, qualitatively improving working skills, simplifying the training process (the dog is calm, focused, obedient);
- lack of smell and discharge from the loop (which protects the owners and the female from attracted males);
- often, the life of a pet is extended by 2-3 years;
- due to lack of sexual instinct, the bitch does not mark the territory during heat;
- this is the easiest and most convenient way to avoid unplanned pregnancy and unnecessary offspring (especially for yard dogs);
- the procedure prevents infection with sexually transmitted infections, reduces the risk of developing pyometra (inflammation of the cervix), cysts, ovarian tumors, false pregnancy.
The disadvantages of oophorectomy, to a greater extent, are manifested with an unskilled approach to work, the use of non-sterile materials, and surgery without the necessary knowledge. A physician with insufficient experience cannot guarantee the complete safety of the procedure. As a result, soft tissues become inflamed, seams are torn, bleeding occurs.
The veterinarian will help you choose the right anesthesia and anesthetic, in rare cases, drugs negatively affect the pet’s body.
Due to a change in the hormonal background, the sterilized animal quickly gains weight, this can be avoided by using special feed. Due to urinary incontinence, diseases of the kidneys and urinary tract develop (stones, sand are formed).
If the pet is breeding and gives registered offspring, the optimal solution would be sterilization after 6 years, but no later than 8. A girl can give birth several times or bring offspring once. it does not matter.
If the dog is pregnant, and after giving birth, they are not going to bring it down, then you can operate at any age, but not earlier than a month after the end of feeding the babies.
The main reasons for the delay / absence of the first heat:
- poor living conditions, improper or insufficient feeding;
- violation of hormonal regulation of the reproductive system;
- congenital disorders in the development and structure of the genital organs;
- dysfunction of the ovaries (hypofunction, lack of appropriate hormones in the appropriate period);
- dysfunction of the pituitary gland and / or thyroid gland;
- tumors and / or other neoplasms, cysts of the pelvic organs or directly on the ovaries;
- endocrine pathologies;
- chronic inflammatory processes in the uterus;
- hermaphroditism (for example, when underdeveloped testes are found instead of the ovaries).
A dog’s first heat: when does it start, how long does it last
The presence of estrus indicates that the dog is ready to mate and carry a pregnancy. At the physiological level, the first heat indicates that eggs have begun to mature in the bitch’s body, and the genitals are ready to perform their reproductive functions. What are the features of the course of this period every owner of a female dog should know so that the process is not caught by surprise.
Metamorphoses in the body of a bitch during estrus
How is your first heat going? In dogs, it consists of 4 successively passing stages:
Stage 1. proestrus. Lasts from a week to 10 days. The initial signs of estrus are noted: there is an additional flow of blood to the genitals, they increase, the vulva swells, scant spotting is noticed. The dog can “drip” around the apartment, so you can put on special underpants or keep it in a separate room. The first day of heat can pass completely unnoticed or be noticed only by a very attentive owner.
Here the dog is not ready for mating, although it flirts with males. Explanation. there is no ovulation yet. Outwardly, some excitability of the animal is manifested, playfulness can be replaced by disobedience and vice versa. Can make marks in different places with urine while walking.
Stage 2. estrus. This is already the period of direct hunting, when ovulation occurs (conditionally from the second day after the beginning of the period). Approximately occurs 1.5 weeks after the first spotting was detected. Right now the bitch begins to be interested in males with reciprocity. Mating can happen once, and the bitch can continue to reach for males further. Consider this when you need to get clean litter from high breed dogs.
The guideline for this period is the enlightenment of the bitch’s discharge. the red turns into light pink, their number decreases. The vulva swells even more. When the dog approaches, the bitch freezes, raises her pelvis, reflexively moves her tail to the side and pulls up the loop.
Stage 3. metaestrus. It lasts for about a decade and is characterized by the end of estrus. Discharge disappears, the bitch does not admit more males, the vulva decreases in size.
If fertilization has not occurred, then the body is gradually interspersed into a state of rest. Sometimes a state of false pregnancy can occur due to an excess of “pregnancy hormone” (as progesterone is called). Ideally, everything goes away by itself, otherwise you should seek help from a veterinarian.
Stage 4. anestrus or the period of sexual rest. The duration of this period reaches up to 150 days (about 5 months). This is the period of a dog’s normal life.
Why is there no heat
With good general health and the state of the reproductive and hormonal systems, the first estrus in a dog occurs at the established usual time and then repeats with a certain cyclical regularity. If the dog is over 18 months old, and the first estrus has not come, you need to consult a veterinarian to find out the reason for such a delay.
Signs of sexual activity of a bitch
Usually, the first heat is accompanied by signs similar to all subsequent ones. In terms of severity, it can be half-hidden or, conversely, pronounced.
The main signs of the first heat:
- increased activity of the bitch, playfulness, outwardly it seems that the dog is constantly fussing, does not find a place for itself;
- frequent urge to urinate, the dog may constantly rush to the street;
- there may be a slight swelling of the mammary glands;
- there is an increase in the size of the external genital organs, discharge appears, with which the dog can stain various surfaces in the house (furniture, floor, carpets, etc.)
Important: the discharge should be of a homogeneous mucous consistency, without foreign inclusions and impurities, without pungent odors, color from bloody to pale pink and straw, depending on the stage of the cycle. If you find any changes, be sure to show the pet to the veterinarian!
- shows attention to males and actively lets them in (the moment of clarification of discharge);
- appetite may increase, it may disappear altogether;
- when a dog approaches a bitch, she freezes in place, lifts up and takes her tail aside;
- molting. the bitch sheds decently when estrus begins;
- by the end of the cycle, the animal may look tired, sleeps a lot, and categorically does not let the dogs come near it anymore.
What the master can do
To intervene in the natural processes of hormonal regulation without a sharp need is not only unnecessary, but also not advisable. What should the owner do at the first heat? It is important to alleviate the condition of the pet and make the hunting period safe.
- Be sure to record the time of the onset of estrus and the age of the dog at that moment. Pay attention to the duration and nature of the manifestation of the stages in the cycle. Recognize behavior and clinical manifestations of estrus throughout the cycle.
- The dog should be monitored with increased attention, but you should not scold her for behavior unusual for her during this period.
- So that the bitch does not stain anything around her with secretions, it is recommended to put on special panties or keep her in a separate room, regularly changing the bedding in the place where the animal sleeps.
- Walking the dog should be carried out only on a leash to avoid escapes and unnecessary contact with males.
- Strictly prevent the dog from licking the dog’s noose with other people’s dogs, in order to exclude the introduction of infection.
- When estrus starts, bitches are usually not taken to exhibitions, festivals or dog competitions.
- Swimming in open natural reservoirs is not recommended to avoid infection with various infections.
- To interrupt estrus medically should be done only with the strict indication of the veterinarian.
- You should monitor the diet and the frequency of feeding. it is not recommended to overfeed.
- Fertilization of a bitch in the very first estrus is not desirable, because the body has not yet prepared for bearing puppies.
- It is imperative to redeem the bitch after the first estrus, washing off from her a kind of “willing” smell that attracts males, which will allow you to quickly go to the resting stage if fertilization has not happened.
- If the owner of the dog does not plan to breed puppies, then at the end of the first estrus it is better to spay the dog.
The animal is active, but stumbles and does not see corners
If the dog is cheerful and playful, but too often does not fit into turns or walks unevenly, this is a reason to suspect ataxia, that is, a disorder of coordination. This condition can be caused by head injuries, otitis media, infection, or neurological problems. If the “awkward” behavior lasts for several days, this is a reason to examine the dog.
Veterinarians advise you to regularly examine the dog’s mouth, then gum disease or tartar can be noticed at an early stage. An unpleasant odor can appear due to these problems, but if everything is in order with the oral cavity, then it may indicate a stomach problem.
If a pungent smell comes from the skin or hair of the dog even after a short time after bathing, then it is worth checking it for parasite infestation and diabetes.
If the dog is not eating, it may be due to his mental state. The following factors can affect your pet’s appetite:
- moving to a new place of residence (especially typical for puppies);
- unconscious encouragement by the owner (giving out treats if you do not want to eat);
- the use of physical force and the shouts of the owner if the animal tries to refuse to eat (the connection between food and punishment is fixed).
Often the dog is simply naughty, trying to beg the owner for a more delicious bite. This problem is solved by training and proper education of the dog.
Note! It is important to distinguish whims from pet’s taste preferences. Like humans, animals have food that they love or hate. If a pet eats food with lamb and rabbit with pleasure, but refuses fish, this is a manifestation of taste preferences. When the dog is not interested in anything but treats, he begins to beg, these are whims.
After heat, the dog is lethargic and sleeps a lot.
Lack of interest in food is an alarming symptom that makes pet owners worry about their condition. It is important to know what to do if the dog is not eating, because sooner or later this problem overtakes anyone, and the reasons for this behavior can be different.
The most obvious development is attrition. Constant starvation leads to significant weight loss, the animal may die. This happens if the pet consumes about 10-20% of its body weight as a result of refusal to eat.
Disruption of the gastrointestinal tract can also be a negative consequence. This often happens if the pet is starving and the owner feeds him with treats. Already after a week of such a regime, the animal’s body will begin to work less efficiently, which can result in malfunctions, changes in stool.
A dog can refuse food for a variety of reasons. The main task of the owner is to identify it in a timely manner and eliminate it before it leads to adverse consequences.
Guys, we put our heart and soul into Bright Side. Thank you for discovering this beauty. Thanks for the inspiration and goosebumps. Join us on and
A responsible owner does not forget to take care of his dog, vaccinates, conducts hygiene procedures and monitors the regimen. But how to notice in time that something is wrong with the pet, and not to miss the onset of a serious illness? Veterinarians say that not only dangerous syndromes, such as vomiting, bleeding or lameness, should alert the owner, but also changes in the behavior and reactions of the dog, its character.
We at Bright Side drew attention to non-obvious signs when you need to show your dog to a specialist. Some diseases in dogs, especially purebred ones, develop rapidly, and it is better to be mistaken in suspicions than to lose sight of the important. Particular vigilance should be exercised when the animal’s immunity may be weakened: during a change of teeth, during periods of cold, extreme heat, tick activity.
What not to do
If the dog does not eat anything, you cannot force it, scold it, and even more so beat it. This will lead the pet to associate food with punishment and avoid it. Some owners, on the contrary, try to feed the pet with delicacies, seeing that he does not want to eat his usual food. This leads to the fact that it becomes more profitable for the animal to beg for treats from the hands of the owner than to eat from a bowl.
For your information! There is no need to change the diet and leave food available to the pet at any time. The dog will get used to the fact that the meat put to it will not go anywhere, which means that you can not eat the portion entirely and eat it whenever it is convenient for it. This knocks down the feeding regime, impairs the functioning of the digestive tract.
If the dog has stopped eating, there is no need to force it, feed it from the hand, or offer it tastier food. It is important to stand your ground and not feel sorry for the pet. The owner should give him the same dry or natural food, and if the animal refuses, remove it before the next feeding. At first, the dog may not eat anything and come up to the bowl just to sniff the food, but over time it will get hungry and accept the owner’s conditions.
No need to beg the dog to eat and force-feed it, this will only worsen the situation.
When to see a doctor
In some situations, the pet itself begins to eat as soon as it feels hungry. But there are times when a day or two passes, and the appetite does not appear. If the dog does not eat or drink for several days, this is a reason to visit a doctor.
You also need to pay attention to the behavior of the pet. An active dog, refusing to eat, probably just decided to arrange a fasting day for himself. A sick animal has weakness, drowsiness. With disorders of the gastrointestinal tract, it can be vilified and vomited. Such symptoms often accompany infectious diseases, so a veterinarian consultation is necessary.
Note! If a tick was found on the dog, after which it suddenly became lethargic and stopped eating, this may indicate the development of piroplasmosis. It is important to act quickly, as the dog is not able to cope with the disease on its own.
Loss of appetite can be associated with pain. When a pet squeaks or whines when pressing on a certain part of the body, does not allow itself to be touched, it is worth visiting the clinic.
When refusing food and water is the norm?
The reasons listed above are caused by various problems and require the intervention of the owner. But there are cases when the refusal of the dog from food and water is the norm, and you can not worry.
- Lack of movement or excessive exercise. If the pet rarely goes outside, plays little, its body does not have time to burn all the calories. Therefore, she regularly arranges fasting days for herself. And what does excessive physical exertion (hunting, running, performing tricks) have to do with it? They lead to an increase in blood glucose, which dulls hunger by 3-6 hours.
- Advanced age. After 12-15 years, the dog’s metabolism slows down, which leads to a decrease in appetite. And lethargy is a consequence of old age.
- Heat, pregnancy, postpartum. Decreased appetite and changes in eating habits are caused by hormonal disruption.
In such situations, you do not need to do anything. The animal itself will regulate the required amount of food without harm to the body.
Food intake is influenced by the quality of food and feed, health, mood, and even relationships with family members. If your pet refuses to eat and drink water during the day, do not rush to panic. But a long refusal to eat and the appearance of other symptoms (vomiting, diarrhea, seizures) are a reason for excitement.
What are the causes of hunger strikes and lethargy
Below are some common reasons a dog looks lethargic and does not eat.
A dog is as emotional and vulnerable as a person. He gets upset because of high-profile scandals, criticism, the departure of his beloved owner. By refusing food, he protests against moving to a new apartment or the appearance of other people’s animals. Some pets react sharply even to changes in weather and seasons, easily fall into the autumn blues. As a rule, a hunger strike is prolonged for a maximum of 2-3 days due to stress.
The pet refuses to eat tasteless or low-grade food, monotonous food, drink stale water. Perhaps she was once accidentally given a spoiled product, which led to vomiting and diarrhea. Now the dog is wary of him, does not want to risk his health.
A common mistake people make is pampering pets too much. For example, they put dry food in a bowl, and the four-legged friend does not eat up the pellets. Then the owners, wanting to please him, put something tasty: a piece of fish, sausage, beef tenderloin.
The animal quickly becomes accustomed to such a privileged regime. Why chew dry food or porridge with liver if a person offers something tasty after an hour? The lethargy of the pet is a consequence of voluntary starvation.
Another reason associated with poor nutrition is overfeeding. Because of this, an excess of fluid and nutrients is formed in the animal’s body: proteins, fats or carbohydrates. The pet feels oversaturated and refuses food herself. Please note that an adult dog is able to starve without harm to health for 5-7 days (but at the same time drinks water).
Due to physical pain when food and liquid comes into contact with the oral cavity, the dog does not eat, does not drink, and looks lethargic. The following problems cause a hunger strike:
- teething in small puppies;
- tartar, provoking inflammatory processes: periodontitis, growths, abscesses;
- broken tooth;
- gingivitis. damage to the soft tissues of the gums;
- stomatitis. inflammation of the oral mucosa;
- mechanical damage to the mouth and tongue (wounds, ulcers);
- dislocated jaw.
Periodically, the animal comes to food and water. Perhaps trying to eat or drink, but is behaving strangely (for example, shaking his head sharply, swallowing liquid with his jaws, not tongue).
This disease affects not only people, but also pets. Puppies and old dogs are at risk, because they have weak immunity. During a cold, the animal is worried about muscle weakness, so it looks lethargic, is lazy to go to a bowl of water or food.
Also, the appetite is reduced due to fever. The body throws all its strength to fight the virus, so it is difficult to digest food.
You yourself know that after poisoning you don’t want to eat for 1-2 days, you have no strength to move, your mood is sluggish. The same thing happens with a pet. Poisoning is not only caused by spoiled food. The list is much broader:
- dirty or contaminated water;
- household chemicals (solvents, chlorine-containing bleaches and paint are especially dangerous);
- insecticidal agents: shampoos and drops against fleas, worms;
- cheap dry food with allergen additives;
- some indoor plants: azaleas, rhododendrons, daffodils, garden palms, tulips;
- pen batteries (contain lead toxic for pets);
- fertilizers for plants;
- human food: chocolate, alcoholic beverages, grapes, avocado, xylitol.
Now remember if your pet has been in contact with any of the above. If vomiting, diarrhea, dry skin, yellowing of the whites of the eyes have joined the lack of appetite and lethargy, take your pet to the veterinarian urgently.
“Help Cesar My Dog Won’t Eat!”
A common reason why a dog is lethargic and does not eat. Parasitic worms reduce the intestinal lumen, interfering with the passage of food. Therefore, the pet refuses to eat because of the pain and feeling of fullness. The worms attach to the walls of the colon, blocking receptors that transmit hunger signals to the brain. Also, parasites secrete waste products. toxins that lead to lethargy.
If the pet does not eat, does not drink, and is sluggish for a long period (more than 2 weeks), there is a possibility that she has a serious illness.
- Viral gastroenteritis Older dogs and puppies are more likely to get sick. The following symptoms are observed: refusal to take food, water, nausea, loose stools, indifference to others. Vomiting is not always the case. The disease is curable if you do not hesitate to go to the vet.
- Intussusception Appetite drops sharply due to intestinal obstruction. The disease is caused by blockage of the digestive tract by foreign objects (cellophane, paper, bones, hair), vascular pathologies, volvulus of the stomach and infringement of hernia. Intussusception requires surgery. Untimely detection of pathology is fatal.
- Hepatic failure It occurs due to damage to the organ by toxins and viruses. The owner should be alerted to the following symptoms: refusal to eat and water, lethargy, dull hair, yellow skin, vomiting, alternating constipation and diarrhea, white feces and bright orange urine, cramps in the limbs. Treatment prolongs the life of the pet.
Sometimes stomach ulcers, metabolic disorders and cancers (bowel, kidney, bladder) lead to decreased appetite.
What is the owner to do?
For starters, don’t panic. Think about how and what you feed your pet. Do you give him the same products or, on the contrary, do you spoil him often? If yes, you will have to adjust the diet.
Visually inspect your pet. Pay attention to the skin, hair, eyes, teeth and mouth. Tap your limbs gently to check your reflexes. Look at the color of urine and faeces. Any deviations from the norm will be the reason for contacting the veterinarian.
When to see the vet?
Problems such as colds, viral gastroenteritis and even food poisoning are especially dangerous for puppies, because the latter have weak immunity. Delay is often fatal. If a small family member refuses to eat, walks lethargic, do not take risks and show him to the veterinarian.
Another reason for going to the doctor is the duration of the hunger strike and apathy. It is bad if the painful condition lasts longer than a week.
Also, the dog must be shown to the veterinarian if the following symptoms are found:
- alternation of constipation and diarrhea;
- admixture of blood in the stool;
- prolonged vomiting. more than 2 days;
- dullness and hair loss;
- dryness and yellowness of the skin;
- inflammatory process in the oral cavity;
- purulent discharge from the eyes;
- limb cramps;
- discoloration of stools and urine;
- abrupt change of character.
In the situations described above, waiting and self-medication can cost you the health and even the life of your pet. Have pity on your four-legged friend and see your vet.
What tests will help determine the disease?
If you suspect an animal is ill, contact your veterinarian. The doctor will prescribe special tests and examinations that will help to understand why the dog is lethargic, does not eat or drink.
|Method||What diseases helps to detect|
|Visual inspection of the veterinarian||Dental problems, trauma, gastrointestinal diseases. The examination makes it clear which diagnostic methods to apply further|
|Temperature measurement||Viral infections, poisoning|
|Stool analysis||Worms, liver failure|
|Analysis of urine||Diseases of the kidneys, gastrointestinal tract|
|Blood chemistry||Colds, viral gastroenteritis, poisoning|
|Abdominal ultrasound||Intussusception, diseases of the digestive system, liver failure,|
|X-ray||Injuries, cancerous tumors|
Sometimes an examination and 1-2 tests (blood, urine) are enough. But if you suspect a serious illness, you will have to undergo a comprehensive examination in the clinic.
Ways to normalize your pet’s appetite
If your dog is lethargic and does not eat due to improper routine or stress, you can easily help him yourself. Observe the following guidelines.
- Caress and praise your pet, offer fun games. This will strengthen the psyche and contribute to the establishment of trusting relationships.
- If the animal has not finished eating a portion of food, hide the bowl. Feed the pet in 4-5 hours.
- Do not spoil your favorite dog with treats between meals.
- Change the water at least once a day. Please note that pets drink from deep bowls.
- Let’s eat at the same time of day. It disciplines.
- Avoid drastic dietary changes.
- Try not to mix dry food and organic foods in one meal.
- If your pet is worried about diseases of the teeth, gums and mouth, temporarily offer her only soft and liquid food (viscous cereals, grated boiled meat and offal, broth) at room temperature.
As a rule, with this approach to nutrition, normal appetite and vigor are restored in the animal after 1-2 weeks.
The dog does not eat during heat
For many owners, pet nutrition issues are extremely important, because refusal to eat is one of the very first and sure signs that show that something is wrong with the dog. And if fastidiousness in food wakes up simultaneously with estrus, then this is definitely a reason to think seriously about the health of the animal.
In a normal state, the dog rarely loses its appetite during the sexual hunt. She can be capricious and refuse some product, but not completely touch the dinner. A lack of hunger in the first days after the onset of estrus is a natural process, but it should not last longer than one or two meals. However, it is worth considering the individual characteristics of the female.
Why the animal stops eating, looks lethargic and unhealthy and what to do about it are the most important questions for the owner of the bitch during the mating season. The most correct solution in this case would be to contact a veterinarian, since such signs often indicate a rapidly developing serious illness.
Most diseases of the reproductive system, especially tumors or oncological neoplasms, are almost asymptomatic at first. There are no strange secretions or seizures, and the female can only say about her poor health by radically changing her behavior.
The possible onset of the development of the disease and hormonal imbalance is evidenced by a sharp change in behavior to the exact opposite of the usual one. It is worth visiting a veterinary clinic and doing an ultrasound of the genitals, if during a sexual hunt:
- Appetite drops sharply, or the pet refuses to eat at all several times in a row, even when changing dishes.
- Hunger is increasing. A bitch with no previous passion for food begins to eat much larger portions and constantly requires more.
- Great thirst arises. The female drinks constantly. This symptom is especially dangerous when paired with a lost appetite.
- Drinks little, reluctantly.
- Constantly in a sluggish, depressed state, asleep and does not respond to the owner, refuses any activity.
- Too active, even aggressive, not only when walking and when meeting with other members of her species, but also at home for an unusually long time.
If the dog is experiencing a puddle state for the first time, then such symptoms may be just a feature of it. However, it is still necessary to see a doctor just in case, since it is often after the first ovulation that defects of the reproductive system can be identified and corrected.
If such behavior suddenly manifests itself in an already adult or even an old dog, while this has not been observed before, then this is an important signal for an incipient serious illness, in this case it is not worth delaying the trip to the clinic even before the end of estrus.
Is it worth worrying?
Heat is a difficult period associated with hormonal imbalance, so if these days there are changes in appetite: she eats less or more, is capricious, but no other non-standard signs have been identified, then there is no need to worry.
Sometimes such deviations are associated with the raging hormones. and sometimes with more prosaic reasons:
- Change of food to an unsuitable animal, not tasty.
- Stale food.
- Too large portions.
- A sharp change in the weather. Many pedigree dogs are very sensitive to temperature fluctuations or changes in pressure.
- Changed gastronomic preferences.
- Onset of the disease.
Before you sound the alarm and go to the vet, remember how your pet behaved during the last estrus. Analyze her life in the last week, determine what could have caused such consequences. If, in addition to loss of appetite and lethargy, there are no other symptoms during estrus, then there is no need to sound the alarm, most likely, this condition will pass within a day.
Features of estrus
Pustovka is a special period in a female’s life. Hormonal changes occurring in the body lead to a sharp change in the behavior and desires of the animal, and physiological characteristics lead to an increased risk of contracting infectious diseases.
Although the signs of estrus for all representatives of this species of animals are approximately the same, only the frequency and number of days for which ovulation occurs differ, but individual characteristics should also be taken into account.
So for “walking” bitches it is typical:
- Change your behavior to a more active one. Show the need for fellowship with fellow members of the opposite sex. Stop obeying the owner and even showing aggression.
- Drink more and ask to go outside more often to cope with small need and leave your marks.
- Change your eating habits. To be capricious and refuse a certain type of food. Eat less or, conversely, show a previously unnoticed appetite.
These signs reflect the normal state of the animal, if they are characteristic of it from the very first sexual hunt.
Not eating according to the usual schedule, a slightly lethargic dog may simply react like this to hormonal changes, but if other, more pronounced symptoms are added to the listed ones, then it is time to talk about infectious diseases.
During ovulation, the female’s body is vulnerable, it is very easy to catch an infection in this case, it is enough:
- Walking in bad weather.
- Swim in open water.
- Run around in crowded areas, especially stray dogs.
- Wander into a dirty place, such as a trash heap, an abandoned building, or a livestock holding.
- Chat with a sick dog.
- Sleep in a draft at home.
- To lie on the cold floor for a long time.
The list of dangerous situations is long and it is not always possible to avoid them all.
That is why during estrus it is especially necessary to observe all changes in the dog. The most dangerous symptoms are:
- Heavy rapid breathing.
- Tremors and cramps.
- Discoloration from bloody to pale white, purulent or brown.
- No discharge.
- Too much mucus from the loop.
- Constant lethargy and drowsiness.
- Aggression even towards the owner.
- Hunched back.
- Painful sensations in the abdomen and genitals.
If the signs appear, then you should not hope that the bitch will get better, you must immediately do everything to keep your pet’s life and health.
The techka and its features
Heat or estrus is the period when the dog is ready for fertilization, the time of physical maturity. This usually happens once or twice a year and lasts for about 20 days. The cycle time is approximately the same for all breeds. It may fluctuate slightly due to changes in the environment or in the body of the animal.
At this time, the animal may behave a little strangely, not listen to the owner, his behavioral and even taste preferences change. Pitomitsa often walks “small”. On the street, he can run away in search of males, often disobeys the owner.
At this time, owners are advised to walk their pet only on a leash in order to avoid accidental incidents. Do not bathe in water, as at this time the dog is susceptible to infections; restrict attendance at exhibitions or competitions.
During the same period, the animal may behave differently, not as usual. For example, there are frequent cases when a bitch does not eat or, conversely, her appetite grows. Such phenomena should be treated calmly, but with due attention. so as not to miss the onset of the disease.
A dog ignores food: when to sound the alarm
The dog is in heat, does not eat well. these signs in themselves are not cause for concern. But it happens that the animal shows several atypical symptoms. In this case, a visit to the veterinarian does not hurt.
So, you need to worry if:
- the animal eats badly during or after estrus, or, conversely, it wakes up a brutal appetite;
- the dog drinks a lot or refuses liquid altogether;
- the dog is sluggish and inactive or runs around the apartment around the clock;
- the animal shows excessive feelings towards others (aggression or friendliness).
Such distortions, which go beyond normal behavior, are wake-up calls for the owner, warning of an impending disease. On the next cycle, they may appear more strongly, other signs of the disease are added to them: the discharge changes, the timing of the onset of estrus “floats”. It is always easier to prevent the disease than to cure it. Therefore, if the animal does not eat and shows other atypical reactions, it is better to show it to the doctor just in case.
Your dog won’t eat while in heat. reasons and tips
A dog, like a person, can change taste preferences, sometimes for no reason to lose appetite. Many owners worry about periods when their pet is not eating. Especially if it coincides with estrus. A dog’s estrus period sometimes does not go as smoothly as we would like. Therefore, questions from the owners are quite frequent: the dog is in heat, does not eat well, what to do in this case? Let’s see why the animal at this time can eat poorly or refuse food altogether.
The animal refuses to eat: why it happens and what to do
It happens that a dog with an excellent appetite suddenly stops eating or eats badly. There are many reasons for this. Onset of illness, change in eating habits, lack of habitual food, stale food, large portions, or sudden changes in weather. All this can lead to the animal not eating. Separately on this list are dogs that refuse food during estrus.
Many owners are afraid that the dog does not eat during estrus or does not eat well. A change in appetite is a completely normal reaction during this period. As well as the fact that the dog sleeps more and walks poorly, its activity decreases.
Sex hormones, the level of which rises at this time, can negatively affect appetite. In addition, not all bitches tolerate estrus well, they may have discomfort, pain, discomfort, which reduces appetite. At such times, the dog does not eat when in heat. She prefers to rest.
However, for others, this period may proceed differently. So, some bitches, on the contrary, have an increased appetite.
At this time, the owner should be careful and not panic. If there is a suspicion that the dog is not eating during estrus due to the onset of the disease, you need to show it to the veterinarian. But only if she does not eat for a long time or does not eat well, or she has vomiting, fever and other signs of illness.
We exclude the disease
Is the dog not eating when in heat, or is it due to illness? Many owners are seriously concerned about this issue. And rightly so. After all, the disease can start completely innocently and disguise itself as natural processes, for example, fatigue. To exclude a pet’s disease, you need to pay attention to whether there are concomitant factors during estrus. This could be:
- frequent tremors and heavy breathing;
- hunched back;
- irritable behavior;
- the dog eats poorly and sleeps a lot;
- frequent lethargy, fatigue, even while walking;
- absence or too much discharge.
A dog may whine if something hurts, does not allow touching a sore spot (for example, the abdomen). The presence of these signs in a dog is a reason to show it to a specialist. After conducting a number of studies (urine and blood tests, possibly X-ray or ultrasound), the veterinarian will be able to determine: the animal does not eat due to estrus or is it still the developing disease to blame.
Her appetite can be affected by a variety of medications and even vitamins or mineral supplements, so review her diet and if you’ve recently added any ingredient, try temporarily eliminating it.
If your dog is not eating while in heat and there are no other signs of illness, then you need not worry. But if estrus is over, and the animal still does not eat, it should be shown to the doctor.
Factors such as the pampering of the animal cannot be disregarded. Sometimes the dog does not eat due to whims. In this case, a trick will help: deliberately skip one or two meals.
Many bitches do not tolerate estrus time very well. The dog does not eat, sleeps a lot, its mobility decreases. This can be both the norm and a signal for the development of the disease. Only close observation of the pet at this time will help to determine exactly. The owner should note all discrepancies in behavior and taste preferences, observe if there are other signs of illness. Do not take your pet to the veterinarian after the first meal. This may be completely normal. You should seriously observe your pet and compare her current behavior with the usual.
Even when introducing an animal, you should ask the breeder how the periods of estrus go through with your pet’s mother. Usually the symptoms of daughters recur. So it will be a little clearer why the animal behaves this way and refuses food. Only when whims, hot weather and other objective reasons have been ruled out, should you worry about the disease.
How to restore your dog’s appetite
What if the family pet doesn’t eat? Host actions will depend on the circumstances causing the feeding problem. In case of stress, the animal needs to pay attention, play with it, walk more often, stroke it. Positive emotions will quickly return him to a good mood.
In hot conditions, constant access to fresh water must be provided. No need to force you to eat. Offer food during cooler hours of the day, in the morning or in the evening. Also, you can not take the dog for a walk in the heat, this can result in heatstroke and a significant deterioration in health.
The most important thing is to regulate the diet. If there are no obvious reasons for the hunger strike, then you can not feed the dog for 24 hours. A fasting day will only benefit her. It is necessary to develop the habit of eating at the same time. For example, switch to two meals a day in the morning and evening. If the dog does not eat a portion or completely refuses to eat, the food is refrigerated until the next meal (food must be heated before feeding).
Important! You cannot give your pet a treat if he refuses to eat regular food. over, to feed from the hands or from the table. So you can only kill your appetite and instill the habit of “biting”.
It is also helpful to extend the duration of your walks. Physical activity increases appetite. You should walk the dog at least twice a day, take it out to run in a park or in a safe open place, on a dog playground.
The dog eats poorly, but is active: causes, treatment
Faced with a situation where the dog eats poorly, the owner, first of all, may think that the pet is sick. However, this is not always the case. There can be many reasons for this behavior, and they are not always associated with a deterioration in the health of the animal. If the dog does not eat or drink anything for more than two days, is sluggish, this is a reason to contact the veterinarian.
Why can a dog eat badly?
If a dog eats poorly, but is active, frolics, has a wet nose, and does not refuse treats, this most likely means that problems with appetite are temporary. Such behavior can occur in an animal as a result of stress, changes in the weather, a violation of the diet, natural physiological cycles, etc. It is necessary to observe the pet and try to correct and adjust the process of eating. With a prolonged lack of appetite, you should consult a specialist.
The main reasons for the lack of appetite can be the following:
- Violation of the diet. A dog can regularly overeat, so over time, he will lose the feeling of hunger. Constant snacking, irregular feeding reduces the desire to eat. And the abundance of goodies that the owner gives with or without reason, wean the dog from regular food, and he will wait for the next portion of the goodies.
- Stress. A dog, like a person, can experience negative emotions and experiences. This condition is most often reflected in her desire to eat. This can happen when you move to another house or city (for example, when traveling to the sea), a long absence of one of the family members, a tense atmosphere in the family due to some negative event, a sharp decrease in attention to a pet, a conflict with another animal.
- Weather. Climate change, unfavorable weather conditions can negatively affect the animal. In the hot season, the pet will refuse to eat, and the need for drinking usually increases. Also, during this period, the dog may be inactive, lie in a cool place and stay awake when it becomes more or less cool.
- Change of feed. An animal can perceive negatively a change in the type of food. Especially, the transition from quality feed to budget. Fresh food is also important. The pet will refuse to eat if the food is spoiled.
- Features of the breed. Artificially bred breeds, as a result of several generations of selection, lack some natural instincts. The pet has a beautiful show appearance, while it does not have a hunter’s instinct and does not feel hunger.
- Natural cycles. During estrus, females usually do not want to eat. This goes away with the end of the discharge. The lack of hunger in males can be caused by sexual desire, which passes after his needs are satisfied.
- Dental problems. Puppies may stop eating when their teeth begin to change. It is a painful process that temporarily deprives dogs of their appetite. Aging pets, on the contrary, lose their teeth and have nothing to eat their old food with. In both cases, it is recommended to offer the animal puree food.
- Clogged stomach. During a walk, grass, bark of branches, debris can get into the stomach of an animal. They cause indigestion and appetite problems.
Such reasons for the dog’s reluctance to eat usually go away after a while. It is necessary to establish a pet’s diet, choose food according to its breed. The food must be of high quality and fresh, from natural products or ready-made food.
Treatment of the animal may be required in the following cases:
- The animal is lethargic, losing weight.
- Diarrhea or vomiting occurs.
- There are abrasions in the oral cavity.
Pathological causes of impaired appetite can be:
- A foreign body in the throat, stomach, or intestines that makes it impossible to eat or causes intestinal obstruction.
- Liver disease.
If you have alarming symptoms, you should seek help as soon as possible.