Features of estrus
Pustovka is a special period in the life of a female. Hormonal changes occurring in the body lead to a sharp change in the behavior and desires of the animal, and physiological characteristics lead to an increased risk of contracting infectious diseases.
Although the signs of estrus for all representatives of this species of animals are approximately the same, only the frequency and number of days for which ovulation occurs differ, but individual characteristics should also be taken into account.
So for “walking” bitches it is typical:
- Change your behavior to a more active one. Show the need for fellowship with fellow members of the opposite sex. Stop obeying the owner and even showing aggression.
- Drink more and ask to go outside more often to cope with small need and leave your marks.
- Change your eating habits. To be capricious and refuse a certain type of food. Eat less or, conversely, show a previously unnoticed appetite.
These signs reflect the normal state of the animal, if they are characteristic of it from the very first sexual hunt.
Most diseases of the reproductive system, especially tumors or oncological neoplasms, are almost asymptomatic at first. There are no strange secretions or seizures, and the female can only say about her poor health by radically changing her behavior.
The possible onset of the development of the disease and hormonal imbalance is evidenced by a sharp change in behavior to the exact opposite of the usual one. It is worth visiting a veterinary clinic and doing an ultrasound of the genitals, if during a sexual hunt:
Dog Silent Heat Problem | Dog’s Heat Cycle
- Appetite drops sharply, or the pet refuses to eat at all several times in a row, even when changing dishes.
- Hunger is increasing. A bitch with no previous passion for food begins to eat much larger portions and constantly requires more.
- Great thirst arises. The female drinks constantly. This symptom is especially dangerous when paired with a lost appetite.
- Drinks little, reluctantly.
- Constantly in a sluggish, depressed state, asleep and does not respond to the owner, refuses any activity.
- Too active, even aggressive, not only when walking and when meeting with other members of her species, but also at home for an unusually long time.
If the dog is experiencing a puddle state for the first time, then such symptoms may be just its peculiarity. However, it is still necessary to see a doctor just in case, since it is often after the first ovulation that defects of the reproductive system can be identified and corrected.
If such behavior suddenly manifests itself in an already adult or even an old dog, while this has not been observed before, then this is an important signal for an incipient serious illness, in this case it is not worth delaying the trip to the clinic even before the end of estrus.
The dog does not eat during heat
For many owners, pet nutrition issues are extremely important, because refusal to eat is one of the very first and sure signs that show that something is wrong with the dog. And if fastidiousness in food wakes up simultaneously with estrus, then this is definitely a reason to seriously think about the health of the animal.
In a normal state, the dog rarely loses its appetite during the sexual hunt. She can be capricious and refuse some product, but not completely touch the dinner. A lack of hunger in the first days after the onset of estrus is a natural process, but it should not last longer than one or two meals. However, it is worth considering the individual characteristics of the female.
Why the animal stops eating, looks lethargic and unhealthy and what to do about it are the most important questions for the owner of the bitch during the mating season. The most correct solution in this case would be to contact a veterinarian, since such signs often indicate a rapidly developing serious illness.
Is it worth worrying?
Heat is a difficult period associated with hormonal imbalance, so if these days there are changes in appetite: she eats less or more, is capricious, but no other non-standard signs have been identified, then there is no need to worry.
Sometimes such deviations are associated with the raging hormones. and sometimes with more prosaic reasons:
- Change of food to an unsuitable animal, not tasty.
- Stale food.
- Too large portions.
- A sharp change in the weather. Many pedigree dogs are very sensitive to temperature fluctuations or changes in pressure.
- Changed gastronomic preferences.
- Onset of the disease.
Before you sound the alarm and go to the vet, remember how your pet behaved during the last estrus. Analyze her life in the last week, determine what could have caused such consequences. If, in addition to loss of appetite and lethargy, there are no other symptoms during estrus, then there is no need to sound the alarm, most likely, this condition will pass within a day.
Not eating according to the usual schedule, a slightly lethargic dog may simply react like this to hormonal changes, but if other, more pronounced symptoms are added to the listed ones, then it is time to talk about infectious diseases.
During ovulation, the female’s body is vulnerable, it is very easy to catch an infection in this case, it is enough:
- Walking in bad weather.
- Swim in open water.
- Run around in crowded areas, especially stray dogs.
- Wander into a dirty place, such as a trash heap, an abandoned building, or a livestock holding.
- Chat with a sick dog.
- Sleep in a draft at home.
- To lie on the cold floor for a long time.
The list of dangerous situations is long and it is not always possible to avoid them all.
That is why during estrus it is especially necessary to observe all changes in the dog. The most dangerous symptoms are:
- Heavy rapid breathing.
- Tremors and cramps.
- Change in color of discharge from bloody to pale white, pus-like or brown.
- No discharge.
- Too much mucus from the loop.
- Constant lethargy and drowsiness.
- Aggression even towards the owner.
- Hunched back.
- Painful sensations in the abdomen and genitals.
Dog Overheating. Signs, Prevention & What To Do
If the signs appear, then you should not hope that the bitch will get better, you must immediately do everything to keep your pet’s life and health.
Your dog won’t eat while in heat. reasons and tips
A dog, like a person, can change taste preferences, sometimes for no reason to lose appetite. Many owners worry about periods when their pet is not eating. Especially if it coincides with estrus. A dog’s estrus period sometimes does not go as smoothly as we would like. Therefore, questions from the owners are quite frequent: the dog is in heat, does not eat well, what to do in this case? Let’s see why the animal at this time can eat poorly or refuse food altogether.
The animal refuses to eat: why it happens and what to do
It happens that a dog with an excellent appetite suddenly stops eating or eats badly. There are many reasons for this. Onset of illness, change in eating habits, lack of habitual food, stale food, large portions or sudden changes in weather. All this can lead to the animal not eating. Separately on this list are dogs that refuse food during estrus.
Many owners are afraid that the dog does not eat during estrus or does not eat well. A change in appetite is a completely normal reaction during this period. As well as the fact that the dog sleeps more and walks poorly, its activity decreases.
Sex hormones, the level of which rises at this time, can negatively affect appetite. In addition, not all bitches tolerate estrus well, they may have discomfort, pain, discomfort, which reduces appetite. At such times, the dog does not eat when in heat. She prefers to rest.
However, for others, this period may proceed differently. So, some bitches, on the contrary, have an increased appetite.
At this time, the owner should be careful and not panic. If there is a suspicion that the dog is not eating during estrus due to the onset of the disease, you need to show it to the veterinarian. But only if she does not eat for a long time or does not eat well, or she has vomiting, fever and other signs of illness.
A dog ignores food: when to sound the alarm
The dog is in heat, does not eat well. these signs in themselves are not cause for concern. But it happens that the animal shows several atypical symptoms. In this case, a visit to the veterinarian does not hurt.
So, you need to worry if:
- the animal eats badly during or after estrus, or, conversely, it wakes up a brutal appetite;
- the dog drinks a lot or refuses liquid altogether;
- the dog is sluggish and inactive or runs around the apartment around the clock;
- the animal shows excessive feelings towards others (aggression or friendliness).
Such distortions, which go beyond the limits of normal behavior, are wake-up calls for the owner, warning of an impending disease. On the next cycle, they may appear more strongly, other signs of the disease are added to them: the discharge changes, the timing of the onset of estrus “floats”. It is always easier to prevent the disease than to cure it. Therefore, if the animal does not eat and shows other atypical reactions, it is better to show it to the doctor just in case.
The techka and its features
Heat or estrus is the period when the dog is ready for fertilization, the time of physical maturity. This usually happens once or twice a year and lasts for about 20 days. The cycle time is approximately the same for all breeds. It may fluctuate slightly due to changes in the environment or in the body of the animal.
At this time, the animal may behave a little strangely, not listen to the owner, his behavioral and even taste preferences change. Pitomitsa often walks “small”. On the street, he can run away in search of males, often disobeys the owner.
At this time, owners are advised to walk their pet only on a leash in order to avoid accidental incidents. Do not bathe in water, as at this time the dog is susceptible to infections; restrict attendance at exhibitions or competitions.
During the same period, the animal may behave differently, not as usual. For example, there are frequent cases when a bitch does not eat or, conversely, her appetite grows. Such phenomena should be treated calmly, but with due attention. so as not to miss the onset of the disease.
We exclude the disease
Is the dog not eating when in heat, or is it due to illness? Many owners are seriously concerned about this issue. And rightly so. After all, the disease can start completely innocently and disguise itself as natural processes, for example, fatigue. To exclude a pet’s disease, you need to pay attention to whether there are concomitant factors during estrus. This could be:
- frequent tremors and heavy breathing;
- hunched back;
- irritable behavior;
- the dog eats poorly and sleeps a lot;
- frequent lethargy, fatigue, even while walking;
- absence or too much discharge.
A dog may whine if something hurts, does not allow touching a sore spot (for example, the abdomen). The presence of these signs in a dog is a reason to show it to a specialist. After conducting a series of studies (urine and blood analysis, possibly X-ray or ultrasound), the veterinarian will be able to determine: the animal does not eat due to estrus or is it still the developing disease to blame.
Her appetite can be affected by a variety of medications and even vitamins or mineral supplements, so review her diet and if you’ve recently added any ingredient, try temporarily eliminating it.
If your dog is not eating while in heat and there are no other signs of illness, then you need not worry. But if estrus is over, and the animal still does not eat, it should be shown to the doctor.
Factors such as the pampering of the animal cannot be disregarded. Sometimes the dog does not eat due to whims. In this case, a trick will help: deliberately skip one or two meals.
Many bitches do not tolerate estrus time very well. The dog does not eat, sleeps a lot, its mobility decreases. This can be both the norm and a signal for the development of the disease. Only close observation of the pet at this time will help to determine exactly. The owner should note all discrepancies in behavior and taste preferences, observe if there are other signs of illness. Do not take your pet to the veterinarian after the first meal. This may be completely normal. You should seriously observe your pet and compare her current behavior with the usual.
Even when introducing an animal, you should ask the breeder how the periods of estrus go through with your pet’s mother. Usually the symptoms of daughters recur. So it will be a little clearer why the animal behaves this way and refuses food. Only when whims, hot weather and other objective reasons have been ruled out, should you worry about the disease.
The dog does not eat, what to do
The person who gets a dog takes full responsibility for its behavior, well-being and nutrition. Providing quality food is one of the main tasks of the owner of a four-legged friend. But what if all the feeding conditions are met, but the animal refuses to eat? Here are some ways to influence his behavior:
- Skip feeding. This is the most effective way to get your pet back on track. But there is no need to make the common mistakes among dog lovers, offering her something more tasty instead of her usual food. The food should be exactly what the pet refused. Usually two passes are enough to awaken the dog’s appetite.
- Reducing the portion. If the dog does not always eat the entire contents of the bowl, then this may indicate too large a portion of the food. In the next feeding, you can put a quarter less food than usual and see how the dog behaves.
- The food offered may not meet the dog’s needs. It is necessary to take this issue more seriously if this has not been done before. You need to learn about the features of feeding a particular breed. For example, the Japanese Hachiko. Akita Inu cannot do without fish in the diet, pugs must be given raw bones, and some breeds with a tendency to stomach diseases need to include beef tripe in the diet, rich in enzymes useful for digestion. Perhaps the dog is missing something important, which becomes the reason for refusing the food offered to him.
- Active walks are required. Fresh air, physical activity have a beneficial effect on the dog’s appetite. Taking an animal, various equipment, a treat to reward the executed commands. and running for a walk. You can invite your pet to play, learn a new command, or repeat the already worked ones. After this, the dog by the ears will not be pulled away from the bowl.
- If, 10-15 minutes before a meal, you give the animal a couple of salted kilka or capelin, then you can make him want to eat.
- Perhaps the dog is simply tired of the monotonous food. You can slightly diversify the diet by replacing the usual cereals with another, for example, instead of rice, give buckwheat, or mix several types of cereals at the same time. But you can change not only porridge, but also types of meat. Beef can be alternated with lamb, horse meat, periodically replacing it with boiled offal or fish. Vegetables can be offered to the dog not only cooked, but raw.
In general, through trial and error, it is possible, not to the detriment of the pet’s health, to choose a more successful diet that will appeal to the pet.
When a dog’s refusal to eat is considered normal
- Like humans, a dog has life situations when it does not want to eat, and this phenomenon is quite natural. For example, in bitches, a decrease in appetite, or its complete absence, may accompany estrus. At this time, the animal may feel bad, or react sharply to sexual urges. At the end, the dog returns to its usual diet.
- The same thing happens with males during the estrus period. They become irritated, can provoke fights, tied to any current female and can live without food for a long time at her doorstep.
- Puppies, most often of large breeds, in some periods of growth, suddenly begin to eat a lot, constantly feeling hungry, this behavior then changes to complete indifference to food.
- Teething in babies can be annoying and unpleasant. Naturally, in this case, the baby has no time for food.
- Surgical intervention, or rather used anesthesia, can deprive an animal of appetite for several days. This is for the best, since it is not recommended to eat for the first time after surgery.
- In dogs, appetite decreases during heatwaves, as well as when vitamin supplements are added to food. Particularly fastidious pets may refuse any foods that they think are not tasty enough.
The dog doesn’t eat anything. What to do
In many families, dogs become real family members and any, even the most insignificant, health problems of a pet cause real panic. But what if the dog doesn’t eat anything? What can cause this behavior, and when you really need to worry?
The main reasons for a dog refusing to eat
The answer to the question why the dog does not eat anything is the following reasons:
- Often this behavior is associated with a change in food, which simply does not seem edible to the dog. In the case of natural feeding, one unusual ingredient is enough for the animal to refuse to eat. For example, among the usual vegetables, an eggplant suddenly appeared, possessing a sharp scent, the pet will immediately detect an unknown object and will ignore the entire portion.
- Another common cause is complementary foods between meals. If the dog gets tasty morsels from the master’s table, then it is quite natural that his own food will seem less tasty to him. Yes, and the appetite with such a gesture can be easily interrupted.
- Poor quality food, excess salt or spices can also ruin your pet’s appetite. It is necessary to check if the food has spoiled.
- Sometimes the reason for refusing food can lie in the mouth. pain from a broken tooth, infection of the gums and palate, or other diseases, will significantly complicate eating.
- Infectious ailments that affect the ears also deprive the pet of appetite, as they are the causes of allergic manifestations, including to food components. And, in addition, they provoke pain syndrome.
- Other ailments can also be accompanied by pain, which can cause a lack of appetite. Usually, these conditions are accompanied by additional symptoms:
- the pet is trembling;
- it is hard for him to breathe;
- hunched back;
- the activity of the animal is noticeably reduced, it most often lies on its side;
- if you touch the dog, it can snap;
- the dog sleeps longer than usual.
If the pet’s condition has deteriorated significantly, its appearance has acquired signs of soreness and depression, then this may be a sign of a serious illness. You should especially worry if the dog’s condition has not improved after missing one or two feedings, and the pet is lethargic during the walk, does not show interest in the environment.
Among diseases, refusal to eat is most often accompanied by ulcers of the stomach or duodenum, as well as kidney disease. If the refusal to eat is accompanied by vomiting, foamy discharge from the mouth, then most likely the pet has been poisoned. It is necessary to urgently flush the stomach and give it to enterosorbent preparations, for example, activated carbon.
Naturally, you should not speculate on your own what caused such a state of the animal, it is clear that the disease was the culprit. An early visit to a doctor or calling a specialist at home will help clarify the situation.
A fairly common cause of lack of appetite is helminthic invasion. The pet may feel nausea, diarrhea, vomiting may appear, and often helminth particles can be seen in the stool or in the pet’s fur near the anus. In this case, deworming can improve the situation.
If your dog hasn’t eaten for several days, with no other signs of illness, you can also visit your veterinarian. If this is an isolated case, then you should not worry. Most often, the person himself provokes such behavior of the dog when he does not follow the feeding regime or during the day he treats the animal with goodies.
What not to do
Worried about the state of a four-legged friend, the owner can act rashly in the heat of the moment. What is unacceptable when the dog refuses to eat:
- Under no circumstances should a dog be forced to eat using physical force. Sometimes the owners, not finding another option, begin to “poke” the animal into the bowl. This attitude is unacceptable.
- You can’t try to fix the situation by treating the dog with all sorts of tasty treats. Firstly, it will further strengthen the pet’s reluctance to eat the usual food. Secondly, it will have a detrimental effect on the health of the pet.
- In no case should you leave food overnight or all day in the hope that the dog will change its mind and eat. If this is possible with food, then ordinary food may simply go bad.
In any situation, a person should remember that a dog is also a living being that can experience, experience stress, joy and other emotions that can distract it from everything else, including eating.