The dog does not eat well, but it is active
If your dog is not eating well, but is energetic, examine its mouth and larynx. If inflammation and stuck objects are not found, it is worth paying attention to feeding and exertion during walks. Possibly the cause is overeating and poor calorie expenditure.
What to do if your dog has no appetite with accompanying symptoms?
Most serious illness in pets begins with food rejection. The animal is worried about something, the temperature rises and the appetite disappears. Consider some cases and accompanying symptoms.
The animal growls in its stomach, and it refuses to eat
Problems in the digestive system can be accompanied by diarrhea or constipation. Sometimes the hind legs give way. If the pet refuses food for more than two days and he has diarrhea, then this indicates:
- Enteritis. Viral disease occurs at an early age and in growing dogs. It is difficult to recognize it, but it can be cured in a few days.
- Volvulus. Accompanied by bloating and severe rumbling of the abdomen.
- Bowel obstruction. Blockage occurs with a foreign object or other physiological reason.
what to do if the dog does not eat, refuses to eat and what could be the reasons for this?
What to do if a healthy dog doesn’t want to eat?
If she stops eating, and her nose is wet and cold, then abstinence is caused by natural processes. This problem will end on its own after a while. But you can help the animal to endure this period more easily or to adapt.
- In case of overeating, it is recommended to take a break from eating for a couple of days. This will not harm the dog’s body. Under normal conditions, they easily tolerate fasting for up to two weeks without harming their health.
- If your pet rejects food because its teeth are changing, replace dry solid food with moist and soft.
- If the reason lies in the abrupt change from wet food to dry, add a little natural food until the dog gets used to the new product. If you don’t like the new dish, add pieces of your favorite treat to the serving for your dog’s appetite.
- With mild stress, appetite will return in 2-3 days. In a severe case, you will have to resort to sedatives and seek advice from a specialist.
Doesn’t want to eat and only drinks water
Thirst and rejection of food can provoke emotional stress or fear. This will pass as soon as the animal calms down. But if the color of feces and urine has changed, then the problem may lie in helminths. Then vomiting and diarrhea will be added a little later.
- Inflammation of the pelvic organs.
- Renal failure, etc.
In case of sudden hormonal surges, natural sedatives are used. If during the rutting period the dog’s hair falls out abundantly, an imbalance in behavior is noticed, a noticeable weight loss, then the surge of hormones can be eliminated by castration. Healthy animals tolerate this operation without complications.
During estrus, the bitch’s behavior changes and there is a loss of appetite. Usually, all functions return to normal at the end of estrus. But it happens that the period is prolonged, and new symptoms are added:
- Intense thirst or abstinence from water.
- Extremely affectionate or embittered.
- The dog has a hunched back.
- Weakness and sleepiness.
- Excessive or minor discharge.
- Breathing hard, trembling.
A pregnant dog refuses to eat. The expectant mother prepares her body for childbirth, cleansing it. There may be a one-time vomiting or diarrhea. Other symptoms indicate a problem:
- dry nose, temperature rises or falls sharply;
- vomiting, diarrhea;
- freezing of puppies;
- severe anxiety, whining;
- swallowing dysfunction.
If you do not deliver the bitch to the veterinary clinic in time, bleeding may open, the droppings will die and she herself.
The nursing mother sometimes also refuses food. The body needs a little time to recover and rest. The main thing is that there is always clean water nearby. If the refusal lasts more than a day, she shakes with chills. this is a sign of an inflammatory process. Do not hesitate, contact your veterinarian.
In older dogs, rejection of food can cause impaired liver and kidney function. A veterinarian is urgently needed if the dog has:
- mucous membranes turned yellow;
- the daily volume of urine has changed in any direction;
- lethargy is noted.
The pet does not eat anything and vomits bile
The dog does not eat anything, drinks water and immediately vomits. Pay attention to the color of the vomit. Greenish yellow indicates the presence of bile. Possible reasons:
- gastritis, liver disease, inflammatory bowel or gallbladder disease;
- overeating, stale food;
- intoxication with household chemicals;
- helminthic invasion;
Such vomiting occurs early in the morning or closer to night. with a large interval between meals. Vomiting with bile occurs in older dogs, but sometimes in puppies. In this case, it is necessary to collect primary data for the doctor:
- Animal behavior.
- The frequency and quality of vomiting.
- Having diarrhea.
The dog is sluggish, does not eat or drink water
Stale water, poor quality food, or just want something better. Or maybe the dog is stressed or not in the mood. These reasons are temporary and will go away by themselves in 2-3 days. But if among the symptoms there is lethargy, then this is not a simple whim, but a signal of the disease:
- viral infections;
- periodontal disease;
- a foreign body is stuck between the teeth or in the throat;
- the consequences of surgery, sterilization, chemotherapy, or trauma.
Why isn’t the dog eating food? Reasons and what to do in this situation
There are many reasons why a dog refuses to eat. It is imperative to understand what is causing this in order to cope with this situation.
The first thing to do is understand how you rate the fact that the dog has become poorly eaten? If you are worried that your dog is eating less than the food manufacturer’s recommended amount, then it is quite possible that everything is fine, because this recommended daily amount of food consumed is an average value. Many dogs that eat 60. 70% of the recommended amount are completely healthy.
Often the reason for refusing food in dogs is a sign of illness.
If your dog ate well before, but now refuses to eat, you need to contact a veterinary clinic!
Despite the fact that many dogs can go without food for 2 days without any serious health problems, we strongly recommend that you do not postpone the visit to the veterinary clinic.
Reasons Why Your Dog Doesn’t Eat Food
Like humans, dogs can have a variety of reasons for refusing to eat, which may include the following:
- Disease. Decreased appetite in dogs is a common sign of illness, especially if the dog has other symptoms along with the refusal to eat. Loss of appetite in dogs by itself does not always indicate a serious illness, but it is necessary to show the animal to a veterinarian, as it can hide a serious illness, such as cancer, an infectious disease, liver or kidney disease.
- Diseases of the teeth. The dog may not eat because something in the dog’s mouth is causing pain. Check your dog for broken or missing teeth, inflammation of the gums, swelling in the mouth, or a foreign object.
- Recent vaccinations. Although vaccinations have saved millions of dogs’ lives over the past 100 years, side effects are possible after vaccination. One is temporary loss of appetite in dogs.
- Transportation or unfriendly surroundings. If the dog had a good appetite before the trip, then after being transported in an unfamiliar environment or due to unfamiliar sounds, the dog’s appetite may disappear due to stress.
- Finicky behavior or behavior change. Some dogs are picky and simply do not want to eat because of some discomfort, for example, when another dog or a bowl is at an uncomfortable height.
Since the reason that a dog refuses to eat is often a sign of illness, it cannot be assumed that the dog simply does not want to eat at the moment, and then eat when he is hungry. First you need to exclude all other reasons for refusing to eat.
What to do if your dog is not eating?
To decide what to do, the veterinarian must first establish the cause.
If the reason for the loss of appetite is illness, the doctor may prescribe a veterinary diet. Dogs sometimes dislike these diets, especially if they are periodically fed treats or from the table. If the dog is already sick, never try to force-feed the dog. Discuss the situation with your veterinarian, he may prescribe drugs to stimulate the dog’s appetite, intravenous feeding, or use a special feeding tube.
If the dog refuses to eat due to mood problems, discomfort, stress, then there are several options for solving this problem
- Top dressing with treats
- Feeding dogs strictly on schedule, usually 2 times a day
- Walking the dog before feeding
- Change the environment in which the dog eats. If you usually feed with other animals, try feeding your dog alone. Try changing the bowl and placing it at different heights from the floor to understand what the dog likes best and how it is more comfortable for him to eat.
- Try changing feed brand or form (wet / dry)
If your dog is not eating, you can contact the Constellation Veterinary Center. We work around the clock. We have all the equipment you need to diagnose the causes of canine anorexia. Professional veterinary therapists work.
When refusing food and water is the norm?
The reasons listed above are caused by various problems and require the intervention of the owner. But there are cases when the refusal of the dog from food and water is the norm, and you can not worry.
- Lack of movement or excessive exercise. If the pet rarely goes outside, plays little, its body does not have time to burn all the calories. Therefore, she regularly arranges fasting days for herself. And what does excessive physical exertion (hunting, running, performing tricks) have to do with it? They lead to an increase in blood glucose, which dulls hunger by 3-6 hours.
- Advanced age. After 12-15 years, the dog’s metabolism slows down, which leads to a decrease in appetite. And lethargy is a consequence of old age.
- Heat, pregnancy, postpartum. Decreased appetite and changes in eating habits are caused by hormonal disruption.
In such situations, you do not need to do anything. The animal itself will regulate the required amount of food without harm to the body.
What are the causes of hunger strikes and lethargy
Below are some common reasons a dog looks lethargic and does not eat.
A dog is as emotional and vulnerable as a person. He gets upset because of loud scandals, criticism, the departure of his beloved owner. By refusing food, he protests against moving to a new apartment or the appearance of other people’s animals. Some pets react sharply even to changes in weather and seasons, easily fall into the autumn blues. As a rule, a hunger strike is prolonged for a maximum of 2-3 days due to stress.
The pet refuses to eat tasteless or low-grade food, monotonous food, drink stale water. Perhaps she was once accidentally given a spoiled product, which led to vomiting and diarrhea. Now the dog is wary of him, does not want to risk his health.
A common mistake people make is pampering pets too much. For example, they put dry food in a bowl, and the four-legged friend does not eat up the pellets. Then the owners, wanting to please him, put something tasty: a piece of fish, sausage, beef tenderloin.
The animal quickly becomes accustomed to such a privileged regime. Why chew dry food or porridge with liver if a person offers something tasty after an hour? The lethargy of the pet is a consequence of voluntary starvation.
Another reason associated with poor nutrition is overfeeding. Because of this, an excess of fluid and nutrients is formed in the animal’s body: proteins, fats or carbohydrates. The pet feels oversaturated and refuses food herself. Please note that an adult dog is able to starve without harm to health for 5-7 days (but at the same time drinks water).
Due to physical pain when food and liquid come into contact with the oral cavity, the dog does not eat, does not drink, and looks lethargic. The following problems cause a hunger strike:
- teething in small puppies;
- tartar, provoking inflammatory processes: periodontitis, growths, abscesses;
- broken tooth;
- gingivitis. damage to the soft tissues of the gums;
- stomatitis. inflammation of the oral mucosa;
- mechanical damage to the mouth and tongue (wounds, ulcers);
- dislocated jaw.
Periodically, the animal comes to food and water. Perhaps trying to eat or drink, but is behaving strangely (for example, shaking his head sharply, swallowing liquid with his jaws, not tongue).
This disease affects not only people, but also pets. Puppies and old dogs are at risk, because they have weak immunity. During a cold, the animal is worried about muscle weakness, so it looks lethargic, is lazy to go to a bowl of water or food.
10 Reasons Why Your Dog Won’t Eat
Also, the appetite is reduced due to fever. The body throws all its strength to fight the virus, so it is difficult to digest food.
You yourself know that after poisoning you don’t want to eat for 1-2 days, you have no strength to move, your mood is sluggish. The same thing happens with a pet. Poisoning is not only caused by spoiled food. The list is much broader:
- dirty or contaminated water;
- household chemicals (solvents, chlorine-containing bleaches and paint are especially dangerous);
- insecticidal agents: shampoos and drops against fleas, worms;
- cheap dry food with allergen additives;
- some indoor plants: azaleas, rhododendrons, daffodils, garden palms, tulips;
- penlight batteries (contain lead toxic to pets);
- fertilizers for plants;
- human food: chocolate, alcoholic beverages, grapes, avocado, xylitol.
Now remember if your pet has been in contact with any of the above. If vomiting, diarrhea, dry skin, yellowing of the whites of the eyes have joined the lack of appetite and lethargy, take your pet to the veterinarian urgently.
A common reason why a dog is lethargic and does not eat. Parasitic worms reduce the intestinal lumen, interfering with the passage of food. Therefore, the pet refuses to eat because of the pain and feeling of fullness. The worms attach to the walls of the colon, blocking receptors that transmit hunger signals to the brain. Also, parasites secrete waste products. toxins that lead to lethargy.
If the pet does not eat, does not drink, and is sluggish for a long period (more than 2 weeks), it is likely that she has a serious illness.
- Viral gastroenteritis
Older dogs and puppies are more likely to get sick. The following symptoms are observed: refusal to take food, water, nausea, loose stools, indifference to others. Vomiting is not always the case. The disease is curable if you do not hesitate to go to the vet.
Appetite drops sharply due to intestinal obstruction. The disease is caused by blockage of the gastrointestinal tract by foreign objects (cellophane, paper, bones, hair), vascular pathologies, volvulus of the stomach and hernia infringement. Intussusception requires surgery. Untimely detection of pathology is fatal.
- Liver failure
It occurs due to damage to the organ by toxins and viruses. The owner should be alerted to the following symptoms: refusal of food and water, lethargy, dull hair, yellow skin, vomiting, alternating constipation and diarrhea, white feces and bright orange urine, cramps in the limbs. Treatment prolongs the life of the pet.
Sometimes stomach ulcers, metabolic disorders and cancers (bowel, kidney, bladder) lead to decreased appetite.
Ways to normalize your pet’s appetite
If your dog is lethargic and does not eat due to improper routine or stress, you can easily help him yourself. Observe the following guidelines.
- Caress and praise your pet, offer fun games. This will strengthen the psyche and contribute to the establishment of trusting relationships.
- If the animal has not finished eating a portion of food, hide the bowl. Feed the pet in 4-5 hours.
- Do not spoil your favorite dog with treats between meals.
- Change the water at least once a day. Please note that pets drink from deep bowls.
- Let’s eat at the same time of day. It disciplines.
- Avoid drastic dietary changes.
- Try not to mix dry food and organic foods in one meal.
- If your pet is worried about diseases of the teeth, gums and mouth, temporarily offer her only soft and liquid food (viscous cereals, grated boiled meat and offal, broth) at room temperature.
As a rule, with this approach to nutrition, normal appetite and vigor are restored in the animal after 1-2 weeks.
What tests will help determine the disease?
If you suspect an animal is ill, contact your veterinarian. The doctor will prescribe special tests and examinations that will help to understand why the dog is lethargic, does not eat or drink.
|Method||What diseases helps to detect|
|Visual inspection of the veterinarian||Dental problems, trauma, gastrointestinal diseases. The examination makes it clear which diagnostic methods to apply further|
|Temperature measurement||Viral infections, poisoning|
|Stool analysis||Worms, liver failure|
|Analysis of urine||Diseases of the kidneys, gastrointestinal tract|
|Blood chemistry||Colds, viral gastroenteritis, poisoning|
|Abdominal ultrasound||Intussusception, diseases of the digestive system, liver failure,|
|X-ray||Injuries, cancerous tumors|
Sometimes an examination and 1-2 tests (blood, urine) are enough. But if you suspect a serious illness, you will have to undergo a comprehensive examination in the clinic.
Why does the dog not eat or drink anything, but only lies sluggish?
A caring owner is seriously worried when his dog does not eat, does not drink, is sluggish, and lies on the couch all day. In this article, you will learn the natural causes of hunger strikes and when you need to sound the alarm and contact your veterinarian.
What is the owner to do?
For starters, don’t panic. Think about how and what you feed your pet. Do you give him the same products or, on the contrary, do you spoil him often? If yes, you will have to adjust the diet.
Visually inspect your pet. Pay attention to the skin, hair, eyes, teeth and mouth. Tap your limbs gently to check your reflexes. Look at the color of urine and faeces. Any deviations from the norm will be the reason for contacting the veterinarian.
When to see the vet?
Problems such as colds, viral gastroenteritis and even food poisoning are especially dangerous for puppies, because the latter have weak immunity. Delay is often fatal. If a small family member refuses to eat, walks lethargic, do not take risks and show him to the veterinarian.
Another reason for going to the doctor is the duration of the hunger strike and apathy. It is bad if the painful condition lasts longer than a week.
Also, the dog must be shown to the veterinarian if the following symptoms are found:
- alternation of constipation and diarrhea;
- admixture of blood in the stool;
- prolonged vomiting. more than 2 days;
- dullness and hair loss;
- dryness and yellowness of the skin;
- inflammatory process in the oral cavity;
- purulent discharge from the eyes;
- limb cramps;
- discoloration of stools and urine;
- abrupt change of character.
In the situations described above, waiting and self-medication can cost you the health and even the life of your pet. Have pity on your four-legged friend and see your vet.
The fastidious dog refuses to eat: what to do?
People whose dogs are naughty and refuse regular dog food can be divided into two groups: those who are satisfied with this state of affairs, and those who would be happy to change something, but do not understand how to do it.
Contrary to popular belief, there are no breeds that are inherently picky about food. Of course, decorative dogs, such as Chihuahua, Yorkshire Terrier, lapdogs, etc., are more sensitive to rough food than representatives of herd breeds. But it is one thing to feed such dogs with specialized elite food, and quite another to indulge them with sweets and other harmful products.
Attention! Do not confuse whims and refusal to feed the dog due to malaise or, for example, pregnancy. If the dog usually eats well what is given to it, and the loss of appetite is currently accompanied by depression, fever, vomiting, indigestion. do not read this article and urgently seek professional veterinary help.
Very often, those who overly indulge their dogs with yummy food themselves love to eat. They “feel sorry” for the dog who “so wants” a piece of a bun, fried chicken or smoked sausage. Although in reality they are simply projecting their own love for food onto the animal. Some are even proud of the pet’s fastidiousness, with pleasure “complaining” about her to friends: it seems to such people that the dog’s selectivity in food speaks of her “high breed” and good wealth in the family. The funniest (or saddest, as you look at) is that over time, the dogs of such owners really become so picky that they even refuse “delicacies”: they are sure. and not without reason. that if they refuse what they have given, they will certainly give something different and tastier.
An excellent example of deliberately indulging the whims of a dog was provided by James Harriott, an English veterinarian and author of several books on animals. Remember Mrs Pumphrey and her pug Tricky from All Creatures Big and Small Storybook? A rich widow fed her beloved dog to the point that he started having health problems: he “lay motionless, breathed heavily, and tears flowed from his eyes”. Harriot quickly “cured” Trickey by replacing biscuits, chicken breast and patties with normal dog food and outdoor play. True, for this he had to take it away from the mistress for a while. the veterinarian knew that Mrs. Pumphrey would not have had the willpower to “sustain” the diet of her pet.
There is only one thing to say here: ladies and gentlemen, channel your love and “pity” for your pet in a constructive direction! Imagine that he will get sick and he will not be able to eat all that harmful “human” food, which now forms the basis of the diet. What if it is your fault that a healthy dog develops obesity, allergies, liver and kidney problems? Decide already whose weakness you really indulge. a dog’s or yours?
There is another category of dog breeders who make fussy out of their pets. They get scared that the dog is sick every time it turns up its nose from the bowl. But, firstly, in rare cases, a dog can starve because its body has a need for it. Secondly, it is very simple to distinguish a fussy dog that manipulates its owner from a dog that does not want to eat because of an illness: a sick dog, most likely, will not eat either its usual food or gourmet snacks.
Now let’s move on to people who sincerely believe that it is impossible to change the habits of a fastidious capricious dog. You can. and quite simply and quickly! To do this, you will need a supply of “normal” dog food and a fair amount of willpower.
Unlike humans, a healthy animal cannot starve itself to death. Can you imagine a wolf who gives up beef because he loves donuts and cheese? So a dog, even the most pampered, will sooner or later starve so much that it will eat anything. And do not worry that for some time she will not eat anything: a hunger strike is even useful for her. In the wild, predators are not fed every day, and this does not prevent them from staying strong and energetic.
So, give your dog a small portion of normal dog food (if you are unsure or have forgotten how to feed your dog properly, consult the breeder or veterinarian). Be prepared for 1-2 servings to be thrown away (which is why it is better not to add too much at once). And now the most difficult thing: after the pet sniffs the bowl with displeasure and looks at you expectantly. DO NOT GIVE ANYTHING MORE TO HIM! Didn’t eat after 10 minutes. put the bowl in the refrigerator. After a while, he will start asking for food. take out what you have not eaten and offer it again. If you have not had time to strongly “corrupt” the dog in terms of nutrition, it will most likely begin to eat what was given, at most by the evening. In especially neglected cases, the “battle of characters” can drag on for several days. You will definitely win it if you show endurance and common sense. In the end, weaning your dog to be picky is doing a good deed, saving the pet from potential health problems in the future. Of course, to force the dog to eat half the work, it is important to be able to not return to your previous behavior patterns in relation to its feeding regime in the future. Remember, it’s up to the owner, not the dog, to decide what to eat.!
Normalize the mode
Appetite may also be absent because the dog is simply well fed, so analyze the feeding schedule and lifestyle of the pet. The most common mistakes that owners make:
- Too frequent and abundant feedings. Usually, an adult dog needs two meals a day (this rule does not apply to pregnant and lactating bitches, weakened animals). Adhere to the guidelines indicated on the food packaging and keep an eye on the dog’s shape.
- Constant access to food. It is not uncommon to observe that dry food is in the bowl around the clock, and the owners complain that the dog “does not eat anything.” In fact, with this approach, she simply has no chance of working up a normal appetite.
- Insufficient walking. With a decrease in energy costs, appetite naturally decreases. If you want your dog to eat better, try walking with him longer and more actively, and feeding him immediately after the walk.
If refusal to eat is accompanied by other alarming symptoms. lethargy, gastrointestinal tract disorders, fever, an urgent need to consult a veterinarian. Often the reason why the dog does not eat dry food is oral diseases: cracks in the teeth, tartar, inflamed gums, mouth ulcers.
These problems are easy to notice: the dog wants to eat and even tries to chew the food pellets, but the pain makes him drop them from the mouth, make several approaches to the bowl and, in the end, completely refuse to eat.
Examine the dog’s oral cavity: the gums are bright red, white purulent sores, cracks are visible to the naked eye. It is necessary to immediately contact a veterinary dentist for help, and during treatment, soak the granules with water. Sometimes, but not always, puppies whose milk teeth have not yet changed to permanent ones do not cope well with dry food, so they can also soak it with warm water.
It happens that an outwardly healthy dog refuses to eat dry food. what to do in this case? Loss of appetite may be related to stress-related changes in the pet’s lifestyle.
A visit to the clinic, a change of home, a long absence of the owner, the appearance of another animal in the house. all this can affect the psychological state of the dog, which makes it lose interest in the usual joys of life. Every effort should be made to eliminate the causes of the discomfort and, if this is not possible, to give the dog more attention.
The dog does not eat dry food: what to do?
The answer to this question depends on the reason why the animal refuses to feed. And only after defining it, it is worth taking any action. All situations when a dog does not want to eat dry food can be roughly divided into two groups. The first includes cases when an animal already accustomed to “drying” suddenly abandoned it.
To the second. when a pet from an early age got used to wet food or natural food, and all attempts to transfer it to a dry diet end in failure.
Situation: the dog ate dry food, but suddenly refused it
It is very important to immediately figure out whether the dog has lost its appetite at all or simply does not want to eat dry food. The first may indicate health problems, including serious.
We accustom to a new diet gradually
You should not change your diet drastically, it is better if the transition is gradual, within 5-7 days. If the dog flatly refuses dry food, first mix it with the usual food. canned food or natural food in a ratio of 75% to 25%, and then add a portion of the food every day until you have completely switched to it.
At the same time, during the transition period, you can soak the granules with warm water so that their consistency is more like a familiar food.
Follow the same gradual transition scheme in the case when you decide to transfer the dog to dry food of a different brand, of better quality, and the pet refuses it simply out of habit.
Situation: the dog is not accustomed to dry food
If your pet is already an adult and has never been fed “drying” on a regular basis, in 90% of cases he will turn his nose up from a bowl of granules and give preference to the usual natural or canned food. However, this situation can be reversed with a little patience.
Do not retreat halfway
What if your dog doesn’t eat dry food despite your best efforts? First of all, react calmly. If the dog does not want to eat what you gave, wait 2 minutes and remove the bowl until the next feed.
And show firmness, because everyone knows that no dog in the world has died of hunger in front of a full bowl. Sooner or later, she will start eating, and given that in nature, dogs can starve without harm to health for up to two or more weeks, then you have a lot of time.
Another thing is that the owner’s heart is not a stone, and not every one of us can bear the begging look of a dog, especially when he sits down to dinner. Therefore, most often, a malicious rejection of dry food is observed when the dog constantly drops something from the master’s table. Perhaps one of the household could not stand the character and fed her with the usual food.
Remember that there should be no such exceptions during the transition period. Warn loved ones not to give your pet anything: even a small piece of chicken or a tiny cutlet can negate all your efforts. A sensible move is simply not to let animals into the kitchen during the owners’ meal, and to teach puppies to this order from the first days in life in the house.
All animals have a need to extend their kind. And if a dog hasn’t realized this instinct for a long time, he may have health problems. And against the background of their refusal to eat. normal condition. It usually goes away after intercourse.
The dog does not eat: what to do? Why the dog refuses to eat?
The owners of four-legged friends are often faced with a situation where the dog refuses even the most delicious food. Against this background, the question arises why the four-legged friend does not eat and what to do in this situation.
In fact, appetite problems can be caused by a variety of reasons. This is a common indigestion and various diseases of organs and systems. The reasons can be both physiological problems and psychological disorders.
Pets often refuse food due to psychological trauma, stress or depression. These problems can be associated with different diseases, and can be the result of psychological trauma.
Weakened immunity and health problems
Poor appetite can be associated with hormonal disorders, heart disease, or respiratory disease. Therefore, it is important to show the animal to the doctor on time, who will help identify the disease in the early stages and prescribe treatment.
All kinds of food poisoning lie in wait not only for dogs who like to walk unattended in the yard, but also for pets. Stale or poor quality feed can lead to poisoning and intestinal obstruction. In such cases, we advise you not to hesitate and consult a doctor, otherwise dehydration and death are inevitable.
Anxiety. this is the most common cause of poor appetite. This may be due to separation from previous owners or in bitches with offspring. Some dog breeds may be intimidated by loud noises. salute, shot, etc. Usually this condition stabilizes after a while and does not pose a particular danger to the animal.
Due to depression, the dog may also refuse to eat. The condition is characterized by depression and depression. It is important to know what exactly caused the depression, but this is usually due to separation from the owners or a change of residence. Usually the animal comes out of this state on its own, but if it lasts too long, contact your veterinarian.
In most cases, the dog refuses to eat due to gastrointestinal disorders, oral injuries or dental problems. But before drawing conclusions and choosing a special diet for a dog, be sure to consult a veterinarian.
The reasons why a dog does not eat can be divided into two parts: medical and psychological.
- Medical reasons are a cause for concern, because they indicate the presence of a disease process in the animal’s body, provoking a lack of appetite.
- Psychological reasons indicate that something has changed in the dog’s environment. This causes a lack of appetite and the dog does not eat. Examples of such situations have been voiced earlier: moving to a new house or apartment, a new family member or a new meal.
The difference between both causes (medical and psychological) is the presence of other symptoms (in the case of medical reasons). So, in addition to a lack of appetite, you can observe in the dog salivation, vomiting, diarrhea (normal or bloody), lethargy, weight loss, shortness of breath, infections (discharge of pus, blood, or changes in behavior).
Why isn’t the dog eating? How to treat?
Once the diagnosis is established, the veterinarian will prescribe treatment. Treatment is divided into two types: specific or supportive.
A specific treatment should be considered a treatment, the main purpose of which is to eliminate the causes of the disease. In this case, it will be aimed at eliminating the causes of the dog’s lack of appetite. This could be a course of antibiotics to block the infection in the dog’s body, or if a foreign body is present in the body, surgery is relied upon. It can also be a treatment for gum disease (the dog has a hard time chewing and therefore does not eat).
Supportive care is used to help the dog maintain a weakened body: infusion or subcutaneous therapy, appetite stimulating injections or pills, etc.
The dog does not eat
- What to do? How to treat?
- What can be done at home?
- Accompanying illnesses?
If your dog is not eating and you are unsure of what to do and are looking for advice on the Internet on the forums, we recommend that you do not self-medicate and experiment on your beloved dog. After all, there are many reasons for the lack of appetite in an animal (more on this later in the article), and the consequences of an experiment can disappoint you and your family.
Call us at any number from the contacts section and get a free consultation or make a call to a veterinarian at home at the nearest time convenient for you.
Diseases in which the dog has no appetite and does not eat:
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- Liver disease;
- Diseases of the pancreas;
- Diseases of the urinary tract;
- Diseases of the blood;
- Diseases of the eyes, mouth, throat, nose;
Why doesn’t the dog eat?
There are many reasons for a dog’s loss of appetite. It is often considered the first sign of illness. A dog may not eat if it has a condition of the digestive system, kidney, blood, eyes, mouth, nose, throat, or even skin. Diseases of other organs and systems can also cause refusal to eat. Even trivial pain can cause a dog to refuse to eat.
Don’t worry too much if your dog is very sick, as there are many other reasons why your dog doesn’t want to eat. For example, a dog doesn’t like the taste of a new food, or you change your place of residence and is going through a period of adaptation, or you have a new family member. As you can see, there are a lot of reasons and they are all different, but a dog’s lack of appetite within 24 hours can adversely affect its body.
Help at home.
Self-help by the owners of the dogs can be provided when the reasons why the dog does not eat have been previously established. Let’s try to understand together in what cases this can be done.
The dog may not eat, because you have recently moved, having changed the usual living conditions and environment, or a new person, a new animal, lives in the house. The listed reasons should be voiced to the veterinarian.
Take a closer look at the dog. You may notice other symptoms as well. In such a situation, it is better to call a veterinarian at home in Kiev earlier than later.
In order to prevent the dog’s body from losing a lot of fluid, it is worth giving Pedialyte®, but you should first consult your veterinarian about this.
Recommendations for increasing appetite at home: if the dog does not eat or drink, then the feeling of hunger can be somewhat increased by simply heating the food. This is done to make the food smell intense. Then you need to feed your beloved dog directly from your hands, thereby showing attention and care. Attention! It is necessary to warm up the cooked food carefully, because if it is very hot, the animal will burn itself and thereby harm itself (burn the stomach or alimentary tract).
New food. For example, the veterinarian prescribed a strict diet for you, but the dog completely refuses to eat new food. The transition to such food should be done smoothly so as not to discourage the dog’s appetite. You should gradually mix food from the new diet with regular food, then the dog will not give up on it and will eat with pleasure.
If your puppy is between 1 and 6 months old and does not eat, the dog is potentially at risk as a 12 hour loss of appetite can be fatal (especially between 1 and 6 weeks of age). Cow’s milk is good for puppies, but homemade soups are not very good, as they are very salty and do not contain the necessary amount of nutrients for the full functioning of the body.
What to do when your dog is not hungry?
Since there are many reasons for poor appetite, we advise you to call a veterinarian at home in Kiev for an examination and diagnosis.
What may be required besides examining the dog:
- Examination by a veterinarian. In such a situation, it consists of examining the oral cavity (buccal examination), listening with a stethoscope (auscultation), palpating the abdominal cavity (abdominal palpation), measuring temperature and weight;
- It may be necessary to take blood and urine for a general analysis in order to search for hidden diseases;
- Stool analysis (search for parasites);
- For a free consultation with a veterinarian, call the phone numbers listed on the website. Call now!
How to call a veterinarian at home?
What questions will need to be answered?
In order to call a veterinarian, you need:
- Call the operator using the numbers indicated in the Contacts section;
- Tell what happened to the animal;
- Provide the address (street, house, front door, floor) where the veterinarian will arrive;
- Specify the date and time of the doctor’s arrival
How To Train Your Dog To Leave EVERYTHING Alone.- EVERYWHERE!
Call the veterinarian at home and he will definitely help you.
At home, as they say, and walls heal.
What to do if your dog is not eating
The concern of loving hosts is easy to understand. The dog has no appetite. is it sick? In this case, the owners should be careful: if the dog, before always cheerful and cheerful, does not look like itself, it is sluggish, it looks sickly, has a constantly hot nose and it has already missed several feedings, then this is already a serious reason for going to the doctor.
But, if a dog or puppy does not want to eat for only half a day or a day, and at the same time is cheerful and full of energy, then there is no cause for concern. First of all, you need to remember that food for the dog should be good and of high quality, such as the owners themselves would eat.
If the dog refuses to eat, then, in most cases, nothing terrible happens. First of all, you do not need to give every bite from your hand and not persuade, but just skip one feeding.
For example, put prepared and reheated food in the place of feeding, to which the dog is accustomed. She can go to the bowl and eat a little, or she can only smell and leave. Give the pet ten minutes and if he does not want to eat, then remove the food until the next feeding. And there is no need to increase the portion, even if the dog has not eaten all day. Just give the same amount as usual.
At the next feed, give the dog the same food that he didn’t eat the last time. In this case, no indulgences should be made. There is no need to persuade her to eat and offer more delicious food. For example, if a dog ate only half of the food that was offered in the morning, then in the evening offer him the same amount of food.
The next day, too, you need to put her as much food as she ate the previous time. Although, if it is noticeable that the dog is hungry (licks the bowl), then you need to pour it more food.
When she eats, then in ten minutes remove the food, and next time give what she did not finish. This technique works flawlessly. As a result, the dog has an excellent appetite.
Do not think that in this way you are giving the animal torment. A person also does not always want to eat, especially when he is hot. And if he misses, for example, lunch, then an appetite will surely appear for dinner.
There are several other ways to increase your dog’s appetite. It happens that the animal does not want to eat due to lack of physical activity. Therefore, a good method is movement: a good walk, active games, running next to the bike. It is important not to overdo it and increase the load gradually. Moderate physical activity has a positive effect on the appetite and health of not only the dog, but also the owner. This is the most natural, effective and healthy way.
Another way is to introduce fish into the dog’s diet. If earlier there was no fish in the animal’s diet, then you can cook food with seafood. You can throw a few sprat fish into the finished porridge or give it 10 minutes before feeding.
A dog’s poor appetite may be due to a bored diet. Therefore, you can replace the cereal, which is usually used for porridge, with another. If earlier it was rice, then instead of it you can put buckwheat, or even better. mix several types of cereals. Cook porridge not only with meat, but also with fish, etc. If you change the diet of the animal during the week, then the pet’s appetite will surely awaken.
If the above methods do not help, then you can use another one. So that the dog can see. give the bowl with its food to another dog or cat. When she sees what is being done with her ration, she will probably want to eat everything herself. This is a fail-safe way. dogs don’t like to share their food with others. Just don’t use this method very often. Also, you should not allow the animal to show aggression, it is better to sit the dog next to you, and if it tries to rush to the “villain” eating its food, give the command “fu”.
Do not do this
Here’s what to avoid if your dog misses a feed:
- often than not, your pet will eat well the next feed, making up for the missed meal. But you shouldn’t increase the portion thinking like this: he didn’t eat in the morning, but now I will put more for him. You don’t need to do this.
- You should not begin to feel sorry for the dog, change its food, and also feed it from your hand, or worse, try to give it something tastier. With this you will only spoil the four-legged and get yourself extra problems.
- Usually dogs are taught to eat two meals a day. If the sand refuses to eat in the morning, wait 10-15 minutes and remove the bowl of food (if you are on natural food. in the refrigerator). In the evening, take out the same serving, warm to room temperature and give to the dog. Between feedings, do not give anything to your pet, no matter how mournfully he looks at you. Sometimes a little fasting only benefits the body. Believe me, in the evening your furry friend will just pounce and grind everything that you put in a bowl.
- If the dog refuses food, some owners leave a bowl of food for the whole day. In such cases, the four-legged eats up a little from the bowl throughout the day. The animal gets used to this regime, and this leads to impaired appetite. In no case should this be done. The diet must be observed. This way you can control the health and well-being of your pet.
What should be alarming
Sometimes a lack of appetite can be associated with serious health problems for your shaggy friend:
- If he looks tired, the dog is weak, constantly hot nose, the baby refuses to eat for the second day, then you should definitely contact the veterinary clinic.
- There can be a lot of reasons for a dog’s refusal to eat: from the appearance of worms in the animal’s body, allergies or ear infections, to stomach diseases (gastritis, pancreatitis, and so on) or oncological tumors. In this case, only the doctor will be able to make the correct diagnosis and prescribe treatment.
- If your pet doesn’t eat, but drinks less (or more) than usual, this is also a cause for concern.
- Poisoning with poison or chemicals.
- Diseases caused by insect bites.
- Poor or stale food.
- Often the dog refuses to eat, as its body simply does not accept this type of food. In Jack’s case, it was a rejection of dry food, as a result of which we switched him to natural food (which we are incredibly happy about).
- Disease or damage to the oral cavity, dental problems can also lead to a lack of appetite. Be sure to look into your pet’s mouth. A piece of a stick or a splinter of bone may be stuck in your teeth.
- If the watchdog “feasted” on the wrong bones, then not only the appetite may disappear, but a host of other problems may arise. Every four-legged owner must know which bones can be fed to a dog, and which are strictly prohibited.
Reasons for refusing food
I will list the points that should not cause concern for the dog breeder. Here are some factors that can cause your pet to refuse food:
- In hot weather, a decrease in appetite is observed in almost all animals. But they start drinking a lot of water. Therefore, during this period, make sure that your pet always has a bowl of water.
- Hormonal changes can also lead to refusal to eat. For example, during heat, many bitches refuse to eat at all. As for the male, smelling a bitch in heat, he can generally lose his appetite for several days.
- Puppies may refuse to eat when changing teeth.
- Another reason a dog has a poor appetite is constant access to food. If the food is freely available all the time, and the pet comes up to eat it whenever it pleases, the feeding regime is disrupted and appetite decreases.
- There are situations when the pet refuses to eat, and the owner, out of pity, offers him some tasty treat. The watchdog immediately builds a logical chain in his head: if I refuse my portion, the owner will immediately give me goodies.
- Or, if between meals a four-legged one receives a tasty treat in the form of a tasty tripe, or beef trachea, then this sly man may refuse another portion of food, in the hope that he will get something tastier. By the way, my mischievous Jackie does just that.
- On a walk, your pet may gorge on grass or bits of bark from the stick you throw at him. Therefore, various bubbling processes can take place in his stomach. Usually, on the next walk, it all comes out naturally, and after that the meal comes to normal.
- And finally, the animal’s body may simply need the so-called “fasting” days.
How to improve your dog’s appetite
Try these ways to improve your four-legged friend’s appetite:
- Most often, the dog eats poorly due to low physical activity and insufficient walking time. Walk with the tailed beast for longer, play with it, take walks in an active and varied manner. Not only does it increase appetite, but it also contributes to the health of your four-legged.
- Make sure your dog is properly fed. Especially if you have it on a natural diet. Do not forget, in addition to the main course, to include fish, eggs, dairy products, vegetables and fruits in the diet.
What to do if your dog doesn’t eat well
Does your dog eat poorly? I think you are not the only one who faced such a situation. This is very frustrating for many and makes them look for a solution immediately. But do not rush and immediately take any prompt action. Don’t rush to the vet right there. You must first observe the animal.
If nothing has changed in your pet’s behavior, and he continues to gallop and rejoice, then often refusal to eat is not a cause for concern. This behavior can be caused by many factors. Let’s take a look at some of them.
- If a dog does not eat well, but is active and mobile enough, its nose is wet and cold, then there is no apparent reason for concern. In this case, refusing to eat is normal. It happens that we all do not feel like eating, and we refuse breakfast, lunch or dinner. Also, our four-legged ones themselves know when to eat and when to starve.
- You should never force the tailed beast to eat if it does not want to.
- Well, if the doggie is sluggish enough, refuses to play, walk, does not allow himself to be touched, symptoms that are not characteristic of normal behavior appear, then it is worth sounding the alarm.