What to do if your dog has no appetite
If the reluctance to eat is not associated with infectious, viral, helminthic diseases, serious poisoning, you can help the animal yourself. In any other cases, it is dangerous to engage in self-diagnosis and treatment, the animal must be entrusted to the veterinarian.
You can influence the improvement of appetite as follows:
- Skip feeding. Within 24 hours, do not offer the dog absolutely any food (especially treats from the table). Clean and fresh water must be freely available. In most cases, one skipped meal is enough to restore the previous appetite.
- Diversify your dog’s diet. Introduce more healthy products into the animal’s food (sour milk, offal, fresh vegetables, fish), since an unbalanced diet can serve as refusal to take feed.
- Reduce the portion of food. If the dog leaves food in the bowl, the food portion may be too large and the animal simply cannot eat it.
- Monotonous food. Feeding your pet with rice or buckwheat alone can cause reluctance to eat. By diversifying the diet with other cereals, meat and vegetables, it is quite possible to return the animal’s appetite in the shortest possible time.
- Increase the duration of the walk, the intensity of physical activity. Usually, after long and active walks, the dog greedily pounces on the food offered to her.
- With obvious signs of poisoning (when the animal is not in serious condition), the stomach is washed with baking soda or a solution of (weak) potassium permanganate and activated charcoal is given at the rate of 1 tablet per 10 kg of the pet’s weight. In severe conditions of poisoning, the dog is urgently shown to the veterinarian.
Why the dog doesn’t eat. the main problems and their solutions
Faced with a situation where the dog eats poorly, the owner, first of all, may think that the pet is sick. However, this is not always the case. There can be many reasons for this behavior, and they are not always associated with a deterioration in the health of the animal. If the dog does not eat or drink anything for more than two days, is sluggish, this is a reason to contact the veterinarian.
Why can a dog eat badly?
If a dog eats poorly, but is active, frolics, has a wet nose, and does not refuse treats, this most likely means that problems with appetite are temporary. Such behavior can occur in an animal as a result of stress, changes in the weather, a violation of the diet, natural physiological cycles, etc. It is necessary to observe the pet and try to correct and adjust the process of eating. With a prolonged lack of appetite, you should consult a specialist.
The main reasons for the lack of appetite can be the following:
- Violation of the diet. A dog can regularly overeat, so over time, he will lose the feeling of hunger. Constant snacking, irregular feeding reduces the desire to eat. And the abundance of goodies that the owner gives with or without reason, wean the dog from regular food, and he will wait for the next portion of the goodies.
- Stress. A dog, like a person, can experience negative emotions and experiences. This condition is most often reflected in her desire to eat. This can happen when you move to another house or city (for example, when traveling to the sea), a long absence of one of the family members, a tense atmosphere in the family due to some negative event, a sharp decrease in attention to a pet, a conflict with another animal.
- Weather. Climate change, unfavorable weather conditions can negatively affect the animal. In the hot season, the pet will refuse to eat, and the need for drinking usually increases. Also, during this period, the dog may be inactive, lie in a cool place and stay awake when it becomes more or less cool.
- Change of feed. An animal can perceive negatively a change in the type of food. Especially, the transition from quality feed to budget. Fresh food is also important. The pet will refuse to eat if the food is spoiled.
- Features of the breed. Artificially bred breeds, as a result of several generations of selection, lack some natural instincts. The pet has a beautiful show appearance, while it does not have a hunter’s instinct and does not feel hunger.
- Natural cycles. During estrus, females usually do not want to eat. This goes away with the end of the discharge. The lack of hunger in males can be caused by sexual desire, which passes after his needs are satisfied.
- Dental problems. Puppies may stop eating when their teeth begin to change. It is a painful process that temporarily deprives dogs of their appetite. Aging pets, on the contrary, lose their teeth and have nothing to eat their old food with. In both cases, it is recommended to offer the animal puree food.
- Clogged stomach. During a walk, grass, bark of branches, debris can get into the stomach of an animal. They cause indigestion and appetite problems.
Such reasons for the dog’s reluctance to eat usually go away after a while. It is necessary to establish a pet’s diet, choose food according to its breed. The food must be of high quality and fresh, from natural products or ready-made food.
Diagnosis of the disease
If the dog suddenly refuses food and water, and no factors that influenced this were found from the external environment, then the veterinarian will diagnose after several tests and laboratory tests.
- Ultrasound procedure. Based on this procedure, a specialist will be able to identify problems associated with the work of internal organs.
- General blood analysis. It will show if there are inflammatory reactions.
- X-ray. This test will help determine the presence of internal fractures, tumors and an increase in the volume of the heart muscle.
- Checking adrenocorticotropic hormone. ACTH tests can indicate how well your dog’s adrenal glands are working.
- Endoscopy. Under general anesthesia, the animal will be injected with a device that will show the professional the possible visual internal damage to the dog.
After passing all the tests prescribed by the attending physician, he will be able to accurately determine the diagnosis, on the basis of which he will select the optimal course of pills and other drugs to restore health to his beloved pet.
How to increase your dog’s appetite
A dog’s refusal to eat may be associated with poor appetite or the development of an illness. If your pet is sluggish, whines, does not drink water, vomits it, or she vilifies, loses weight quickly or is constantly lying, you can skip this section. It’s not about reluctance, but about the discomfort that prevents the pet from eating. A clear sign of poor health is the refusal to walk, even if the pet was not too happy to walk before, a complete ignorance of the street speaks of apathy. The first thing to do is to take the pet outside in your arms. If the dog is standing still or lying down immediately, an urgent need to consult a doctor.
Refusing food does not affect the pet’s mood, is he cheerful and happy to go for a walk? In this case, you need to try several methods to improve your appetite. Start by skipping one meal, such as your morning meal. In the evening, offer your pet a regular serving of the usual food. If the treat is eaten with pleasure, the reason is the violation of the feeding schedule. We talked about this above, the dog has a bad appetite, since it really does not feel hunger.
The second method is not to skip feeds, but cut the portion in half. If the dog ate the offered food, he behaved normally all day and licked the bowl again in the evening, the reason is overfeeding. Check yourself carefully if you are not exceeding the daily feeding rate for your pet. Consider all snacks, treats, track the dog, maybe she begs for treats from other family members.
One important caveat: before you convict your dog of overeating, make sure that you feed him well. A reluctance to eat the entire serving may be due to the dog not liking the taste of the food, for example, the dog does not eat porridge because it is stale. The second option is allergies, the pet may refuse food that is harmful to him. You may not have guessed that porridge causes abdominal pain or bloating in your pet, but the fact remains. the dog feels discomfort. If the dog does not eat dry food, there are several possible reasons:
- A sharp change in diet. you always fed your pet with natural food, but decided to transfer it to drying in one day. The dog, most likely, will refuse to eat, because for him the food looks inedible, unusual, not appetizing. Dry food does not have the aroma of natural food, and this is a very strong argument. If the dog has always eaten natural food, the rejection of dry food may be due to the fact that the gastrointestinal tract is not able to digest the pellets. In any case, the transition to a new type of feeding should be carried out gradually.
- Poor feed quality. cheap dryers are made from beans, soy or corn. All of these products are useless for the dog, so they do not cause an obvious appetite. Manufacturers of cheap feeds are tricky, adding flavors and flavor enhancers to their products. This does not make food more useful quite the opposite, but this condition makes it possible to force a hungry dog to eat pellets.
- Chewing problems. this is not about oral diseases, but rather about the conventions that you missed. It is difficult for puppies to chew on pellets because their teeth are a little loose. Older dogs may refuse to dry due to thinning of the enamel and discomfort when chewing hard food.
Active walks can help increase your appetite. Naturally, the dog does not need to be exhausted to the point of exhaustion, but if you have not paid attention to active loads, it is worth giving it a try. All dogs love to play, the type of activity and motivation may differ, so you will need to find an approach.
Even elderly dogs, who, it would seem, are not interested in anything, gladly accompany their owners on unhurried but long walks. Your pet may not be playing with a ball, but it will enjoy finding tasks. With the right load, the dog returns home tired and hungry. Usually the pet drinks, eats and lies down to rest. After that, it is advisable to take the dog for a short walk to empty the bowels and bladder. Like humans, it is harmful for dogs to endure.
Dogs are distinguished by their consistency in tastes, but it happens that they get bored with the taste of familiar food. There are several ways to check this assumption and make sure that the refusal to eat is associated with it in several ways:
- Offer your dog frozen or cooked meat (no porridge). If the treat is eaten with a hunt, the dog is tired of porridge, or has a protein deficiency.
- Replace cereals with buckwheat, and if you feed buckwheat, then in rice. In the first case, the food will have a more attractive smell. In the second, if the dog is tired of buckwheat, rice will be more readily accepted, since it is neutral.
- Add stewed vegetables to the porridge. grate vegetables on a track and simmer with plenty of water. You should have a fine stew or sauce. Season everything with a little oil and add to the porridge. Vegetables give the porridge a tempting aroma and enhance the flavor of the meat (if the ratio is sufficient).
In the old literature on feeding and keeping dogs, there was often advice about numbing your appetite. Simply put, in order for the puppy to eat more and grow into a strong dog, his appetite was stimulated by various tricks. All of them are described above, only one is intentionally omitted.
Now this advice can cause a storm of emotions and judgments, but we will voice it. So, a dog’s appetite can be greatly enhanced by using salty foods. Guides from earlier years give direct advice on how to give your dog salted fish, or even dried salted fish. over, in the same guides, it is recommended to salt porridge for dogs, today many will call such advice harmful.
The reasons for the hunger strike
If the question arises as to why the dog is not eating, it is worth understanding the problems that may lie behind a simple refusal to eat. The most common psychological factors are:
- Resentment. If you had to leave the animal alone for a while, which is unusual for the usual daily routine, then it may well be sad and, because of this, refuse food after the owners return.
- Stress. If there was a need to transport the animal to another habitat, or just a long stay in transport, against the background of fatigue and nerves, a temporary loss of appetite may occur.
- Loud noise. With a sharp and bright noise, the dog can be very frightened and completely refuse all the offered treats. It is worth quickly to take her away from the place that causes horror and calm.
- When there is a bitch in heat near the dog, then for several days such an outcome is possible that the dog does not eat anything. At such a moment, a basic instinct awakens, which overshadows the basic needs of the body. This problem should go away by itself within a few days.
These reasons are easy enough to remove and make the dog enjoy life. It is worth spending more time with her constantly playing and showing love. When the animal feels safe, and is sure that nothing terrible threatens it, it will be able to calm down and return to its usual daily routine and nutritional norms. If she began to refuse food, but this is not connected with any stressful situations, then the dog may have health problems. The main variants of the disease are:
- Stomach problems. If the dog is not eating anything, it may indicate that he may have an upset stomach.
- Bad teeth. When the animal begins to eat, but quickly spits out food, there may be problems with the jaw or a separate canine.
- Worms. They interfere with healthy digestion of food, causing the dog not to eat or drink anything, which brings him even more discomfort.
- Difficulties in the work of the heart. Due to general malaise, the animal loses its appetite.
It is imperative to monitor the condition of the dog, if suddenly other additional factors and symptoms are added to the refusal of food, you should contact your veterinarian as soon as possible.
When to see a doctor
An animal can go without food for a long time. As a rule, 1 or 2 days of fasting does not adversely affect the health of the pet, but if the dog refuses food for more than 2 days, loss of appetite is accompanied by other signs, you should sound the alarm. the animal is sick.
Immediate help from a veterinarian is needed if a lack of appetite occurs with the following symptoms:
- feverish conditions;
- diarrhea (with mucus, blood);
- blanching, yellowing of the mucous membranes;
- purulent discharge from the nose, eyes;
- vomiting of blood, bile, foam;
- unsteadiness of gait, convulsive states;
- severe soreness of the animal’s body;
- constant lying of the dog on one side;
- violation of the process of urination (frequent, decreased or complete cessation of urination);
- refusal of water.
Some owners, on the advice of their friends or relatives, begin to self-medicate the animal and make fatal mistakes. One of the most common tips for a quick pet recovery is to pour vodka into the dog’s mouth. In no case should this be done, because an alcohol-containing liquid will not cure a sick dog, but will provoke a burn of the mucous membrane of the esophagus and stomach.
A dog with no health problems will have an excellent appetite. In cases where the animal is worried about something, it refuses any food and even delicacies, an urgent need to take action. It is strictly forbidden to treat a pet on your own using medications intended for humans, as well as recipes for traditional medicine. A sick friend should be shown to a veterinarian who, based on the diagnostics performed, will select an effective treatment for the animal and return the dog a good appetite.
When a lack of appetite does not need to be treated
In the life of every dog there are periods when it does not eat well. This is completely normal. After all, a person’s appetite can also change depending on the season or external factors. Consider several reasons that do not require immediate treatment:
- In the summer, almost all pets lose their appetite or change their eating habits, such as asking for food early in the morning or late at night. In such situations, it is necessary to provide the pet with access to drinking water and monitor the temperature in the room. Do not walk in the heat. If the air outside is very hot, then try to take the dog for a walk in the morning earlier, and also in the evening, after sunset.
- During estrus, bitches refuse to eat at all. Males during puberty may skip 1-2 meals due to unfulfilled sexual desire. If the dog finds a pair, then after intercourse he will again begin to eat as usual.
- During the period of changing teeth, puppies often do not eat their usual food, for example, dry food. This is easier to explain, since the pet’s gums begin to hurt, and the baby’s teeth are loose, causing discomfort when chewing. In this case, give your pet viscous porridge that will not cause discomfort.
- Sometimes the owners of the four-legged themselves become the reason for refusing to eat. Between meals, they over-indulge their pets with treats. For this reason, the dog refuses the next portion of food, expecting to get something tastier instead.
- On a walk, dogs often eat grass, stick bark gets into their mouths, or they find food dropped or thrown away by passers-by. The ingestion of dirty food, grass or bark into the stomach causes seething processes in it. Usually, after the next walk, digestion is restored, the appetite returns.
In most cases, the puppy’s appetite returns within a few days. The owner does not need to make any additional efforts for this.
Choose a dog’s diet based on the breed to avoid digestive problems. Use only natural or prepared food. Otherwise, your pet may experience indigestion.
Why does the dog eat poorly, but is active and what to do
Many owners believe that refusing to eat is the main symptom of illness. In fact, this is not the case. If the dog eats poorly, but is active during the day, then this may be the cause of psychological problems or an incorrectly constructed daily routine. In some cases, lack of appetite or skipping one feeding is just right to be considered the norm. Let’s figure out what to do in a variety of cases.
When is it necessary to contact a veterinarian
If the pet is active, its nose is wet and cool, then you should not sound the alarm. Observe the condition of the animal. Sometimes the dog skips meals due to stress. This happens if during a walk you are caught by a thunderstorm, you are often absent from home (although you used to spend almost the whole day with your pet), or the family recently changed their place of residence. If the animal does not return to its normal diet for a long time, it is worth contacting your veterinarian.
Other alarming symptoms (may not appear immediately):
- abrasions in the mouth;
After a few days, the dog may become lethargic and lethargic. If additional symptoms begin to appear, then you should not postpone the visit to the veterinarian. He will examine the animal, take blood and urine for analysis. Sometimes additional tests are done, such as an abdominal ultrasound.
The reason for refusal to eat, which is accompanied by a deterioration in the pet’s well-being, can be:
- intestinal obstruction;
- oral injuries;
- overeating or ingestion of foreign objects;
- oncological and infectious diseases.
It is not uncommon when a lack of appetite is a sign of disorders in the work of the cardiac and pulmonary systems, malfunctions of the thyroid gland. If the dog is undergoing chemotherapy, radiation, or antibiotics, then a lack of appetite may be a consequence of treatment.
What to do if there are no alarming symptoms
Many owners make mistakes when their pet loses its appetite. The following should definitely not be done:
- increase the portion;
- change food or give treats;
- leave a bowl of food freely available.
Instead, set up your pet’s daily routine. If he refuses to eat, put the bowl in the refrigerator after 10-15 minutes. Warm the contents slightly for the next meal. Do not give anything between meals. A little fasting won’t hurt your dog, he’ll happily pounce on food when you offer it again. At the same time, the pet should always have access to plenty of clean and fresh water.
Increase your walking time, go to the training area where the dog can run or even overcome several obstacles. Play with your pet outside or at home. One of the most common causes of lack of appetite is physical inactivity. She is most susceptible to obese dogs.
Eating Invisible Food In Front Of My Dogs
What not to do if your dog misses a feed
It is strictly forbidden to run after the dog with a plate, persuading him to eat at least a little. The dog must learn that, having given up food now, he will be able to eat only during the next scheduled feeding, or even go to bed hungry.
Cynologists advise against indulging a puppy who does not want to eat. When the dog grows up, it will not be able to eat without persuasion, even when it is hungry. The main indicators of health in puppies are a wet nose and curiosity. Refusal to eat can be the result of overfeeding.
Puppy eats poorly: what to do for a breeder
Puppies may experience problems with appetite during the teething period. In this situation, it is necessary to completely eliminate warm and solid foods from the diet, replacing them with cool and soft foods. If the puppy is not eating well, refusal to eat may be due to:
- stress, which in most cases is caused by weaning. In addition, if the atmosphere at the old place of residence was calm, and there are children in the new house, an unusually noisy society will initially excite the baby. A stressful situation can arise from intimidation of a newcomer by old-timers. other pets. Having adapted to the new living conditions, the puppy will again begin to eat as usual;
- a digestive infection. A puppy’s intestines are easily invaded by parasites, such as intestinal worms or bacteria;
- the habit of carrying around tidbits not meant for puppies. Having treated himself to unacceptable food, the dog runs the risk of getting an upset of the digestive tract.
Puppy’s lack of appetite is not a reason to panic.
Ways to increase the appetite of a four-legged friend
The four-legged friends of man, like the man himself, sometimes act up and refuse to eat the bored food. A few tips will help you get things back on track:
- sometimes, to increase the dog’s appetite, it is enough to limit the number of treats. Typically, they are given to the dog between meals;
- unwillingness to eat may be due to lack of physical activity. Regular exercise stimulates appetite;
- often refusing to eat is the result of a lack of discipline. If the dog is spoiled and is used to getting food whenever it wants, owners should consider scheduling food distribution. The bowl of food is put out for 15 minutes, and after this time they are hidden, even if the food is not touched. Gradually, the dog will learn: if he has not eaten, he will have to starve until the next dispensing of food;
- in some cases, the problem is solved by reducing the portion by 10%.
There are a few tricks to boost your dog’s appetite.
For your information! You can increase your four-legged friend’s appetite by adding special sauces for seasoning dog food.
Reasons for refusing to eat that shouldn’t be a concern
Small breeds like Yorkies, Chihuahuas and Italian lapdogs are very picky about their food and refuse to eat certain types of vegetables. Large and medium sized dogs that are fed a lot and often become choosy over time.
Important! We must not forget that in dogs, as, indeed, in humans, priorities may change with age, including gastronomic ones.
The dog eats little, because the animal’s tendency to asceticism is inherent in nature. She begins to depend on food, looking at her owners and imitating them. There are other reasons why a dog’s poor appetite “gets along” with physical activity:
Собака Баскервилей 2 серия. Приключения Шерлока Холмса и доктора Ватсона 1981 год
- the dog is secretly fed by someone from the family;
- the food given to the dog is not stored properly and the smell has disappeared. In this case, it is enough to slightly warm up the food in the microwave. This technique is effective for both dry and wet feed;
- he is frightened by his own reflection on the plate. This happens when the usual plastic plate is replaced with a new one made of glass or stainless steel. The dog can jump away from the vessel, seeing its reflection at the bottom;
- the dog regularly receives scraps from the master’s table, and he is not interested in his own plate.
For your information! Maturing puppies of the German Shepherd and other large breeds often experience bouts of false hunger. A strong desire to eat is suddenly replaced by a complete lack of interest in the contents of the bowl.
Reducing the need for food in growing puppies and older dogs
In the first days of life and up to two months of age, the puppy should eat at least six times a day. Further, the number of feedings will depend on age:
- puppies, which are 2-4 months old, are fed 4 times a day;
- A 4 month old dog needs less food. Until the age of six months, he is supposed to eat three times a day;
- from 7 months to a year, the dog will be content with two meals a day;
- from one year of age to the end of life, a one-time feeding is enough for the dog.
As the dog ages, the owner changes the composition of his diet and reduces the number of servings.
Feeding a 2 month old puppy should be strictly on schedule.
The dog eats poorly, but is active: reasons and what to do
Experienced dog breeders are familiar with the situation when a dog eats poorly, but is active. Most breeders do not see this as a problem. They advise their inexperienced colleagues not to panic ahead of time, but to feed the pets at a strictly allotted time, preferably in the late afternoon. It is easy to distinguish a sick dog from a healthy one: in the first case, it whines and worries, in the second it remains energetic, even if it has not eaten. The main indicator of canine health is a cold nose.
Additional Reasons Why Your Dog Doesn’t Eat
One of the main reasons a dog refuses to eat is overfeeding. In the first place, excessive nutrition is dangerous for active dogs, which immediately after eating begin to run and jump.
For example, by overfeeding a German shepherd, the owner risks rewarding his ward with at least obesity and atherosclerosis. In the worst case, the shepherd dog, being prone to stomach volvulus (in this breed, the stomach is too mobile and in minutes of activity it can twist or shift), can die.
It is strictly forbidden to feed representatives of some breeds with a mixed type of food. Instinctively, the dog feels that there is unacceptable food in his bowl and does not want to eat it. An improperly selected diet and excessive portions will sooner or later end up with a malfunction of the gastrointestinal tract.
Note! There are breeds of dogs (for example, huskies), which, given their excessive activity, can only be fed after a walk. At first, the dog may refuse to follow the wrong regime until hunger takes its toll. If the husky goes for a walk after eating, volvulus is guaranteed.
When a dog’s refusal to eat is considered normal
If the dog is active, but has little interest in food, this is not yet a reason to visit the veterinarian. It’s too early to talk about a serious illness. Indifference to food is not necessarily a sign that you are not feeling well. For example, in females during estrus, the appetite may decrease several times.
A cold nose is an indicator of a dog’s health
The reason for a visit to the doctor can only be a refusal to eat after the end of the cycle. Alternatively, the reason for the bitch’s temporary lack of appetite is pregnancy.
Many dogs refuse to eat when trying to feed them vitamins at the same time.
Important! If a dog is thin, this does not mean that he is sick with something.
If the dog eats poorly, but is active, the reason for the decrease in appetite may be a hot summer day. Wondering why the dog eats poorly in summer, the owner shows his lack of awareness. The hot season is the time for infections that enter the dog’s body with food. Instinctively, the animal feels this and tries to defend itself, and it can vomit from excessive portions. This is also a kind of protection.
Appetite in dogs disappears both after the introduction of mineral supplements into the feed, which the dog has not yet tried, and after replenishing the diet with unfamiliar products. For all of the above situations, a four-footed pet’s lack of appetite is the norm.
The dog eats poorly, but looks healthy
If the dog does not eat well, but is active, goes for a walk with pleasure, plays, runs. it is quite possible that this is not a cause for alarm. Decreased appetite can be caused by a large number of factors.
Lack of appetite in painful conditions
It is impossible to list the reasons for the decrease, loss of appetite in dogs with the development of the disease in one article. The owners should remember: a change in appetite accompanied by any symptom is a reason for serious concern, visiting a clinic, consulting with a specialist. Appetite is perhaps the main indicator of a dog’s health. Diseases accompanied by reduced food intake or complete refusal to eat include:
- diseases associated with metabolic disorders;
- internal diseases of a non-infectious nature, other.
Increased thirst in the absence of appetite may indicate kidney problems, the development of diabetes mellitus, pyometra in bitches, fever.
Poor food intake accompanied by diarrhea, vomiting is often a sign of serious health problems for the dog, indicating the possibility of developing:
- plague of carnivores;
- parvovirus enteritis;
- rotavirus, coronavirus infections;
- massive helminthic invasion.
Poor appetite in combination with depression, lethargy, drowsiness are alarming signs that require immediate intervention by a veterinarian, examination of the dog.
The dog’s attempts to eat, accompanied by further refusal to eat, are often indicative of dental problems.
Causes of decreased appetite in dogs
First of all, overfeeding can be attributed to the reasons. As a rule, it occurs due to:
- excess diet;
- constant access to feed;
- giving treats;
- table feeding.
Organization of proper nutrition, feeding regime of the dog is of great importance. By nature, a dog is a predator. These animals tend to eat when hunger occurs. A well-fed predator is indifferent to hunting, he either rests or has fun. Considering that the main food of a predator is meat, which has a high energy value, the periods between meals constitute a significant time interval.
By providing the dog with constant, under-dose access to food, owners deprive the animal of the opportunity to feel hunger. Among other things, predators tend to gorge themselves for future use, consuming large amounts of food in a short period of time.
The condition taken by the owner for a decrease in appetite can be caused by overeating the day before, the dog’s instinctive desire to unload.
Skipping 2-3 feeds for the dog while maintaining its activity, the absence of symptoms of the disease, does not pose a threat, is normal.
A common reason for a dog’s refusal to eat, especially if the owners are adherents of natural feeding, is stale food. The opinion that a dog is “omnivorous” in terms of food freshness is a dangerous delusion. First of all, dogs have a keen sense of smell, so they can smell bad food much earlier than owners. Among other things, dogs are as susceptible to toxic infections as their owners.
Decreased appetite in most dogs is observed during fever. Since less energy is required to maintain body temperature, the need for nutrient intake decreases. Changing teeth in young animals is often the reason for reluctance to eat food. The phenomenon is temporary, it passes with the end of the growth of molars. Normally, the change of teeth lasts up to 6-7 months. In addition to the above, refusal of food is often observed during estrus in bitches, toxicosis during pregnancy.
Emotional stress is one of the most important, common causes of anorexia:
- a change of scenery;
- the appearance of a new pet in the house;
- resentment against the owner.
All of the above can cause a short-term refusal to eat. The reason for refusal to feed can be a change in diet, a radical change in the type of feeding, regime, transition to a new feed.
How to help a dog if it doesn’t eat well?
The main thing is not to panic, but to be extremely careful. Refusal to eat for 1-1.5 days is painless for the dog. It is necessary to try to understand whether the refusal of food is associated with a painful condition or with safe reasons.
Golden rule: in doubt. see a specialist. If you are sure that the dog is okay, let it get a little hungry. Organize an active walk, pay attention to the behavior of the animal, its gait, and the resulting fatigue. If possible, measure the temperature of the dog. Remember that giving up water is not okay. If the animal does not drink, contact the clinic immediately.
If there are no alarming symptoms, try offering your dog a treat to test. Try to diversify your food by introducing:
- raw or boiled eggs;
- meat sauce.
Review your diet for a balanced diet. It is advisable to remove the bowl with food after feeding, restricting the animal’s free access to food. Often, when the dog becomes aware of the lack of food before the next feed, it will begin to feed more actively.
In the absence of appetite due to the transition to a new feed, it is worth returning to the tested.
New to introduce little by little, adding to the actively eaten. Provide the dog with privacy during the feeding period, it is possible that the presence of the owners for any reason confuses the pet. If possible, try feeding a portion to another dog, in some cases it works.
“I began to notice that my dog is leaving food in a bowl. over, Lelik has noticeably grown fat. Then I had a conversation with the children. It turned out they secretly fed him cookies and cheese. I explained to my sons why obesity in a dog is dangerous and made them walk the Shar-Pei in the morning “.
While staying active
An active animal almost never refuses food or goodies, even if there is no hunger.
Possible reasons for refusing to eat while maintaining active behavior:
- intensive growth. The question often arises. why does a healthy puppy refuse to eat? If the baby misses one or two meals, it’s okay. It grows, the number of necessary feedings gradually decreases;
- fussy. This is especially true for miniature breeds, which are often capricious and choose tastier food. Refusing food, such dogs simply expect a more delicious offering;
- serious physical activity. It is common for dogs to refuse to eat if the day before they have been intensively trained or trained;
- the influence of hormones. Often bitches in heat will ignore the bowl of food. The same applies to males in the event that a bitch in heat is encountered during a walk;
- stressful situation. Dogs can experience stress from a variety of situations: moving to a new home, driving a car, visiting a veterinarian, or staying in a pet hotel for a specified period. The dog can refuse both food and water.
- not the right menu. The pet, for example, refuses to eat dry food. There may be several reasons: the product has deteriorated and is bitter, the diet is simply not liked, or the dog lacks water.
All these reasons, subject to the active behavior of the dog, cannot last long. When changing feed or after a while, the dog will still show interest in the bowl.
Normally, a dog refuses dry food during estrus. During this period, it is useless to persuade or force her to feed. A few days later, when the sexual instinct weakens, the dog will go to his bowl and ask for more.
In addition to estrus, stress includes a veterinarian examination, vaccinations, travel, moving, changing owners. Be sympathetic to the condition of the animal.
Fasting for a short time will not harm his health, but it will help him survive the shocks.
When contacting, it is worth helping the veterinarian in collecting data. I come to the clinic armed with detailed information about the condition of the dog. For this, they keep records during the observation period, where they enter:
- data on the diet, the selected feed;
- the presence or absence of vaccinations, recent antiparasitic treatments;
- date and estimated time of the first refusal of the portion;
- information about the refusal of the dog from all foods or selective starvation;
- information about the ability to swallow food. At the very beginning of the refusal, offer a treat, here it is important to understand whether the dog has the ability to swallow what is offered, there are also difficulties with the process;
- the animal also refuses water or drinks greedily and cannot get drunk;
- observation of the dog’s stool: presence or absence, diarrhea, change in color, shape;
- the presence or absence of vomiting or urging. If available, record color, frequency and consistency.
All information can be memorized if desired, but, rather, the owner himself will experience stress when contacting a doctor. Therefore, it is more reliable to record the observation data. Such information will greatly facilitate the process of examination and diagnosis, save valuable time.
If the Shih Tzu is fed with a natural, then from birth to 2 months, 6 meals a day is preferable. At 2-3 months, the portion size is made a little larger, but the number of meals is reduced. 4-5 times per day. At 4-5 months, they feed up to 4 times a day, and at 6-11 months. no more than 3 times.
A 12 month old pet is transferred to two meals a day (in the morning and in the evening). Aging dogs (from 7-8 years old) are offered a reduced size portion and an increased number of repetitions of food intake up to 3-4 times.
- Dry food should be given after agreement with the veterinarian and in accordance with the instructions on the packaging material.
At least once a quarter, and also before mating, carry out preventive cleansing of the Shih Tzu body from worms. For this, drugs for these parasites are purchased at the veterinary pharmacy.
The dog is lethargic and does not eat
If the dog becomes more and more lethargic, spends more time in its place, refuses to play and does not run happily for a walk. a reason to contact the veterinarian. Although, there are dogs with a phlegmatic temperament, which are absolutely not characterized by jumping and joyful running around the house. Each owner is almost immediately able to notice changes in behavior, you just need to be a little more attentive.
It is worth conducting a test. give your favorite dog a piece of his favorite treat. If he reaches for food, but at the last moment refuses it. visit the veterinarian immediately. Most likely, he cannot swallow his favorite food due to nausea or injury. Nausea may indicate intoxication of the body and developing diseases.
Important: do not delay visiting the clinic. many diseases develop too rapidly and you may simply not have time to provide assistance.
Inflammation of the walls of the stomach is accompanied by the rejection of dry food and other food. The pet develops vomiting, diarrhea, and a white coating on the tongue. over, in the vomit you can see particles of mucus and bile.
Treatment of the acute form of the disease is carried out in the clinic.
Further, the animal is assigned a diet of liquid and soft foods. After complete recovery, the dog can be re-accustomed to crispy granules.