Nervous system disorders
This is another common reason why cats have no appetite. Cats and cats are quite sensitive animals. They react to almost any significant change in lifestyle, and sometimes the pet’s reaction can be unpredictable. Obviously, certain situations are likely to cause stress, which explains why the appetite has disappeared:
- Moving to a new location. The risk group is, for example, a kitten that was torn from a cat and settled in a new house.
- Long hours of road.
- The arrival of a new pet.
- Birth of a child.
- Dangerous situations (for example, a fight with a cat, a threat of a dog attack, etc.).
- Insufficient attention of the owner, conflict atmosphere.
- Prolonged absence of the owner (it is known that cats are very often attached to a specific person and do not like changes).
In rare cases, cats lose their appetite even for harmless reasons. changing the bowl, changing the location of the toilet or rest area. Therefore, it is worth analyzing whether there have been any significant changes the day before. If the reason for the loss of appetite is related precisely to stress, you need to give your pet as much attention as possible.
If the appetite has disappeared, and the cat is sluggish, this may be symptoms of any disease:
- Inflammatory processes;
- Development of benign or malignant tumors;
- Dysfunction of the liver, intestines or stomach;
- Diseases of the oral cavity.
Such pathologies lead to anorexia (complete lack of appetite), which is fraught with depletion of the body. Therefore, if the appetite has disappeared for no apparent reason. You should immediately go to the veterinary clinic for examination.
Cats suffer from decreased appetite and as a result of obvious causes associated with eating disorders. As a rule, several symptoms are observed at once:
- Nausea and bouts of vomiting;
- Loose stools;
- General weakness of the animal;
- Loss of activity, drowsiness, etc.
If a similar situation continues for more than a day, exhaustion is observed, it is better to contact a veterinary clinic: you will need to take medications.
Why did the cat lose appetite??
Sometimes situations arise when the cat has lost its appetite. The reasons for this phenomenon can be very different. from poor quality food to symptoms of certain diseases. As a rule, the situation can be solved by correcting the diet. However, in some cases, the problem is not solved at home, which forces you to contact your veterinarian.
Sometimes the owners do not pay special attention to what they feed their pet. If the food is too monotonous, then the question may arise what to do if the cat has lost its appetite. Obviously, the same food can become boring to the animal over time, so the cat will be extremely reluctant to use it. Then it is enough to introduce new components. feed or the usual homemade food.
Another problem is insufficient quality products, for example, sausages, pates of questionable composition, cheap feed from little-known manufacturers, etc. Here it is important to pay attention to the composition and, if necessary, consult a veterinarian. Perhaps even some normal foods are contraindicated for your cat due to the nature of the digestive system.
When there is no cause for concern
In some cases, the cat does not eat anything for quite understandable, objective reasons, for example:
- Change of season. if a cat is released outside, in the spring it can eat less, since the body is rebuilt for the summer season: besides, the animal often finds other food on the street;
- Poor appetite is observed during the breeding season, which also occurs in the spring: the cat can become more aggressive, overexcited and significantly lose weight;
- Strong changes in the weather, pressure drops can also cause the appetite to disappear: especially if the cat or cat is already quite old;
- Finally, if the owner washed the bowl with a chemical agent and, inadvertently, did not completely wash off the leftovers, this also explains why the cat lacks appetite.
Thus, you should only worry if other symptoms are added to the loss of appetite. for example, nausea, vomiting, lethargy over a long period of time. It is possible that the cat has an upset stomach or intestines, so an urgent veterinarian consultation is needed.
Quite a common reason why dogs have lost appetite. precisely, they can even be subdivided into several, namely:
- The dog stopped eating after certain events. For example, after celebrating the New Year with a lot of fireworks, many owners note a decrease in the appetite of their animals. It can also be observed after severe thunderstorms with loud thunderclaps. In such cases, you should wait for the dog to calm down and try to give it as much attention as possible to relieve its anxiety. Usually, the appetite returns to normal within a few days.
- As strange as it sounds, dogs, like humans, suffer from depression. Most often this happens when separated from the owner or family members. Another reason for depression, and therefore why the dog’s appetite has disappeared, may be moving to another place of residence or even separation from some four-legged friend. If you see that your pet has been depressed for a long time, you should see a doctor, as this condition can lead to various negative consequences.
- Another psychological reason why a dog’s appetite may disappear is the lack of realization by the animal, and specifically by the dog, of its instincts for reproduction. If for some reason you do not want to breed your dog, then it would be more humane to think about sterilizing him than to constantly keep his natural urges in check.
Reasons for refusing food
Veterinarians identify several reasons why a dog may lose appetite:
- Psychological. not having a direct threat to health, but, at times, no less dangerous. May be related to hormonal changes.
- Physiological. a reason that can have quite dangerous consequences. Professional help is almost always required.
- The third reason can arise from either of these two, but it is considered the norm.
If you notice that the dog has lost appetite, lethargy or, conversely, irritability, or some other behavioral changes, then the problems are probably much deeper. Health problems that can cause the problem under study:
- The dog has a mouth injury, indigestion, or some type of dental problem. Examine the dog’s mouth on your own, observe the animal’s stool. Try giving your dog some softened, ground food. And it is better, of course, to consult a specialist.
- Poisoning. Another common reason why a dog has lost appetite. If you suspect poisoning, then you must definitely contact the clinic, since delay can be deadly, especially if you do not know what exactly your animal ate.
- Your pet’s intestinal parasites can also cause loss of appetite. Regularly solder the animal with anthelmintic drugs. An accurate diagnosis can be made by a doctor, unless, of course, the animal has an already neglected form.
- The most dangerous causes are problems with any internal organs: thyroid gland, heart, lungs, liver, etc.
You may not notice the very beginning of the disease, and the animal cannot tell you about it. it can only show that it is bad for it by refusing to eat. That is why, as soon as you see that the dog’s appetite has disappeared, the doctor should look for the reasons. Especially in cases where there should be no prerequisites for this.
Decreased appetite is normal
There are cases when a decrease in appetite in an animal may be the norm and there should not be any prerequisites for anxiety. It:
- The dog is in heat, has lost appetite and the dog may even look haggard. This is often the case, since the animal’s hormonal background changes during this period, so there is no need to panic. Usually, the appetite is normalized later. This does not occur in all dogs, so you should not expect such a reaction from every animal. Some “ladies” may, on the contrary, suffer from increased appetite. Also, loss of appetite can be observed in the second half of pregnancy and immediately after childbirth.
- The weather is too hot. It’s okay if it’s 30 days outside for a long time, and the dog has lost appetite. What to do? Give more water and wait until it gets a little cooler. Most likely, in hot weather, the desire to eat decreases and you.
- Excess food. Oddly enough it sounds, but some owners literally overfeed their pets. Nowadays, it is very common to find animals that are overweight and even obese. But there are some dogs that are much smarter than their owners. when they feel that their body already has an excess of nutrients, they independently arrange for themselves “fasting days”. In such cases, there is no need to try to feed them by force.
- The case when the animal is being treated with any potent drugs can also be attributed to the norm in refusing food. But this is only when the animal is recovering. If the dog’s condition worsens, then it is necessary to resort to force feeding the animal, perhaps even with the help of droppers.
- Age is another cause of decreased appetite in dogs. In old age, the dog consumes much less food, which is associated with a decrease in its activity. And anticipating its imminent death, the animal may refuse food altogether.
The dog has lost appetite: reasons and what to do
Your pet’s healthy appetite is one of the signs that he is feeling well. But sometimes it happens that the pet refuses any food. Let’s take a look at what is normal if a dog’s appetite has disappeared. When to see a doctor?
When to see a doctor
If the dog missed one meal, then there is no reason to worry yet. If, with two meals a day, the dog misses one or two meals, then this can be considered the norm. You need to start worrying when the dog does not eat for more than a day and a half.
It is clear that if the animal has a clear health problem. diarrhea, vomiting, convulsions, fever, pain syndrome, bloating and more, then you need to see a doctor immediately.
What to do?
If your dog’s appetite has disappeared for no reason, watch it first. If the behavior has not changed and there are no obvious health problems, then you can try the following actions:
- Change food, especially if you are offering the dog something new. give him the food he is already familiar with.
- Preheat food, some animals will enjoy eating warm food.
- Provide the dog with clean drinking water, and make sure the water is constantly.
- Make sure that the animal does not pick up anything on the street. Perhaps the dog just “gorged” on a walk.
- Continue to feed your dog during normal hours, leaving the bowl for no longer than 15 minutes. If the dog did not eat, then remove the bowl and give only at the next feeding.
What not to do?
Experts give these tips:
- In no case do not try to feed the dog something “tasty” during this period. The animal will taste it very quickly and you will independently form his pickiness in food.
- Do not try to force feed the animal, especially with the help of shouting and swearing.
- Do not leave a bowl of food on a permanent basis or bring it in between meals. An exception can be made only for animals during the recovery period after illness, radiation, chemotherapy, if the doctor advises enhanced nutrition.
Each owner knows his pet very well and maybe, sometimes, it is better than any veterinarian to name the reasons why the dog’s appetite has disappeared. Each animal, like humans, has its own taste preferences, they can also pick and choose in food, “show character” and try to manipulate their owner. Never give in to your pet if you firmly believe that poor appetite is just a way to get a tasty bite out of you. But at the same time take a closer look, maybe this is how the dog is trying to get your attention, maybe you devote too little time to her and she is bored? Any, even seemingly unreasonable behavior of an animal always has a reason.
When hunger is seen as a normal option
Do not rush to the veterinarian at the slightest change in your pet’s appetite to find out why. There are a number of reasons why hunger is considered a variant of the physiological norm. All that the owner can do under the conditions listed below is to wait a while, observing the condition of the pet.
- Heat, second half of pregnancy and childbirth. During this period, the dog undergoes changes at the hormone level, which can affect its appetite. It is likely that during this period the animal will seem somewhat emaciated. Also, when eating the placenta after childbirth, the dog’s hunger occurs no earlier than 5-8 hours later. If, apart from a lack of appetite, nothing bothers you, you should not interfere with the process, it is enough to observe so that new symptoms do not appear until the appetite is normalized;
- An excess of nutrients. The dog is able to feel the abundance of essential nutrients in the body, which does not need to be replenished. During these times, the dog feels great even when not eating. No need to force food!
- During the period of illness. Very often, during the period of treatment, the dog’s appetite disappears. If, in the absence of appetite, the animal continues to recover, then there is no point in feeding by force or with the help of droppers.
- Stress and blues. Dogs are sensitive to changes in weather conditions, a change of environment or owner, they can have a bad mood and mope. This causes intermittent hunger. The lack of appetite for such reasons is not long lasting, but even in this state, the dog does not refuse special treats. But it is not recommended to feed in excess of tasty food during such a period, because. Blues and stress can turn into fussy eating.
- Finickyness. When feeding an animal with tasty treats (meat or special dog food, which is made with flavor enhancers), it will completely refuse regular food (cereals, soups, etc.).
- Teething. Teething in young puppies is often accompanied by discomfort when eating. Small dogs can chew on everything to relieve their condition, but they will refuse food.
- Hot weather. Very often, in hot weather, dogs try to drink more and eat less. In hot weather it is considered normal if the dog only drinks, but does not eat. At a comfortable temperature, appetite returns and does not require any intervention.
- Old age. An older dog often refuses food in anticipation of his own demise.
Possible causes of lack of appetite, accompanied by health problems
The most common reasons why a dog is lethargic and does not eat anything include:
- Dental problems and oral diseases. For any discomfort that occurs when eating food, the dog will later refuse to eat (broken or loose teeth, mouth injuries, stomatitis). You can notice how the dog approaches the food, seems to start eating, but immediately stops and does not touch the food anymore.
- Any ear diseases. Hearing infections are always accompanied by discomfort, and sometimes pain, when chewing or when you need to gnaw something.
- Chemotherapy for cancer significantly reduces appetite.
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract (enteritis, volvulus or intussusception of the intestine, gastritis and ulcers of the stomach or intestines, blockage of the stomach or intestines).
- A foreign body in the mouth or esophagus of a dog.
- Any pain syndrome. If the dog experiences painful sensations of various etiologies for a long time, most often the appetite will be completely absent. They say that the dog feels pain: trembling, shortness of breath, hunched back, the dog tries to move less.
- Any infectious viral or bacterial disease. Accompanying an increase in body temperature. If the general body temperature rises, the dog will drink more, and the appetite will be reduced or disappear altogether.
- Post-traumatic shock. If the dog has received numerous injuries and lost a lot of blood, then, of course, there can be no question of any appetite.
- Medication therapy. With individual sensitivity to some drugs, loss of appetite may develop with excessive exposure to them on the liver and stomach.
The dog eats poorly, sluggish: what to do, reasons for refusing to eat
Lack of appetite and apathy are signals that increased attention should be paid to the pet’s health. If the dog is lethargic and does not eat anything, you need to try to quickly find out the reason for this condition, because. Serious illnesses can be hidden behind seemingly harmless symptoms. So why doesn’t the dog eat?
If the dog does not eat, is lethargic and. (approximate reasons for additional symptoms)
If the lack of appetite is accompanied by lethargy, fever, tremors, thirst, discoloration of the mucous membranes and skin, vomiting and diarrhea, these are clear signs of health problems. The owner of the dog can only assume what happened to the pet, an accurate diagnosis will only be made by a veterinarian.
For this, the veterinarian conducts a clinical examination and:
- Laboratory analyzes of blood and urine;
- Ultrasound of internal organs;
What veterinarians offer
When no apparent reasons for the animal refusing food were found, specialists conduct the following examinations:
- General analysis of blood and urine;
- Blood test for hormone levels;
- X-rays to detect or exclude tumors;
- Additional examination for ultrasound in order to detect those violations that cannot be detected using an X-ray;
- Egg Worm Detection Tests.
After the diagnosis is made, symptomatic treatment is performed. Generally, dogs’ appetite recovers as they recover.
What to do if a dog has lost appetite for a long time
When a dog’s appetite does not recover for more than 3-4 days, this may be a sign of illness.
To make the diagnosis easier, you need to do the following:
- Check the dog’s food, exclude from the diet all products whose quality and freshness are in doubt;
- Observe the behavior of the pet, since many diseases are manifested by apathy or excessive anxiety of the animal;
- Examine the pet’s oral cavity for dental problems or inflammation of the mucous membranes;
- Check the ears, as diseases of the hearing organs often cause pain when chewing food;
- If possible, measure the pet’s body temperature.
Even if no visible problems were found, but the animal still does not eat, you should not postpone the visit to the veterinary clinic, it is better to seek professional help as soon as possible.
If the dog does not eat for more than 2-3 days, this is a reason to contact your veterinarian.
When to sound the alarm
If your pet refuses food for several days without showing anxiety and staying in a good mood, there is no reason to panic.
An animal needs medical assistance in cases where the loss of appetite is accompanied by the following manifestations:
- Vomiting and diarrhea;
- Refusal to drink;
- Lethargy and decreased motor activity;
- Fearfulness and anxiety.
In addition, you will need to consult a specialist in a situation when the dog does not eat well after giving birth. It is likely that food refusal is a consequence of any complications in the process of reproduction.
The dog has lost appetite: how to establish the cause and help your pet
The situation when a dog has lost its appetite is familiar to every experienced breeder. This is not always a sign of health problems, the animal may refuse food for other reasons.
In order not to miss the development of a dangerous disease, it is necessary to observe the behavior of the pet and know what factors can deprive the animal of the desire to eat.
Why a dog has no appetite: physiological and behavioral factors
Serious factors that require special attention can cause refusal of food.
- Stress and depression;
- Poor quality or unusual food;
- Over-saturation with a specific type of feed;
- Worms and other parasitic diseases;
- Dental problems (periodontal disease, etc.);
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- Side effects of taking medications.
These factors require professional intervention to change the daily diet of the animal.
Dog has no appetite: a sign of illness or a natural state
A perfectly healthy animal may refuse to eat for a short time, after which the appetite is restored.
Dogs can refuse food for a variety of reasons.
The reasons for this behavior may be the following factors:
- Hot weather. When the thermometer rises above 30 degrees, the desire to eat disappears not only in animals, but also in people.
- Reception of vitamin-mineral complexes. Due to these funds, the animal’s body is saturated with the necessary trace elements, which can significantly reduce appetite.
- The period of sexual activity. Poor appetite in a dog during estrus is a common occurrence; various hormonal processes occur in the animal’s body, due to which the need for food can decrease. In addition, when in heat, the pet is more concerned with satisfying natural desires and procreation than with gastronomic pleasures.
- Teething in puppies. Since this process is often accompanied by poor health, small pets may avoid eating for a while.
- Breed predisposition. Large breed dogs are much more likely to practice “curative fasting” than small individuals. As a rule, the animal eats poorly for several days or refuses food altogether, after which the appetite returns to normal.
Dogs often refuse to eat on hot days or during estrus.
How to Increase the Appetite of a Healthy Dog
If the pet has lost appetite against the background of full health, the owner needs to think about how to improve it.
You can take the following steps:
- Feed your dog regularly at the same time.
- If the animal only eats part of the food, hide the bowl until the next feed.
- Refuse “snacks” and do not give your pet any treats between meals.
- Do not overfeed the animal, but put on its bowl as much food as is required for a single meal.
- Provoke the pet’s motor activity, play more with it and be outdoors more often.
The vet tells what to do if the dog refuses to eat.
The dog has lost appetite: when to sound the alarm
A dog’s lack of appetite is a problem that owners of four-legged friends often face. This behavior can be caused by a serious illness, the signs of which at first glance do not appear. But at the same time, the pet may not eat for more trivial reasons, because of which you should not worry. After all, everyone has periods of “medical fasting”. And animals are no exception. How can we tell if we have a serious cause for concern or a common situation? Consider the reasons why your dog may have a poor appetite and what to do if this happens.
- Why the dog refuses to eat
- Factors affecting a dog’s appetite
- Features of diagnostics in the clinic
- Healthy dog refuses to eat
- Prevention of loss of appetite in a dog
Features of diagnostics in the clinic
The veterinarian should work with the owner to find out why the dog has no appetite. To do this, you need to find out what food the pet was fed, whether there was something unusual in the diet, whether the animal was sick before and whether it was given any medications. Very detailed information is required from the owner. This will help eliminate visible causes of lack of appetite. When they are excluded, the doctor should examine the pet for the disease. For this, urine and blood tests, a study for hormones, X-rays to exclude a tumor, ultrasound, tests for parasites are performed.
After that, the doctor makes a conclusion and, if necessary, prescribes treatment. He can also prescribe what to give the dog to improve appetite.
Why the dog refuses to eat
If you notice a poor appetite in a dog, the first thing to do is to find out the reason. It can be both harmless. then the problem is eliminated by itself, and quite serious, when it is impossible to solve the situation without the intervention of specialists.
Loss of appetite in a dog is not always associated with illness. The natural reasons are:
- Heat. If the temperature outside is over 30 degrees, then this can already cause a short-term lack of appetite in the dog.
- Estrus. Often the animal refuses to eat during the period of sexual activity. When it ends, the pet returns to its usual diet.
- If the animal receives additional vitamins and minerals, it can be saturated with nutrients and refuse regular food.
- Features of the breed. Some animals may refuse food just like that. This is most often done by representatives of large breeds.
- Teeth growth. At this time, puppies often feel unwell and try not to eat, as the sensations can be quite painful. The problem disappears by itself after the formation of teeth.
Additionally, a dog’s loss of appetite can be associated with stress. A recent move, the appearance of a new pet in the family, or a change in feed can cause such a problem. These situations are natural, the owner is not required to treat the pet, a visit to the veterinary clinic. What is the best way to induce the dog’s appetite in this case? You can try giving her some kind of treat. After eliminating the cause, the pet’s appetite usually returns.
If the dog has a dry nose, lethargy, it has not eaten for 3-4 days, then there are already reasons for excitement. The owner must do the following:
- The first step is to check your pet’s food for freshness. Exclude foods that are in doubt, including those that were given to the animal for the first time. perhaps he simply did not like something.
- Observe your pet. If, against the background of the dog’s loss of appetite, apathy and lethargy still appear, then these are signs of illness. The dog may also have a dry nose, which is also an indicator of a problem.
- It is necessary to examine the oral cavity for inflammation, dental problems.
- Check the ears of the animal. diseases that develop in the organs of hearing can cause pain when chewing food.
- A dog with a dry nose and no appetite needs to have its temperature taken. Normal indicators should be as follows: small breeds. 38.6. 39.3 (puppies), 38.5. 39 (adults); medium. 38.3. 39.1 and 37.5. 39; large. 38.3. 39.1 and 37.4. 38.3. The temperature may rise slightly in heat, stress, or after intense physical activity.
- The pet should be examined for volvulus. This is done as follows: the pet is laid on its side and the abdomen is felt. If the dog is irritable, it may indicate a problem. An urgent need to seek help from a veterinarian.
What to do if lethargy, anxiety, or other signs of illness are not found, but the dog still has poor appetite? You must definitely visit the veterinary clinic.
When do you need veterinarian help? The owner must immediately show the pet to the veterinarian if, in addition to refusing food, the animal has vomiting, fever, lethargy, anxiety, he shows anxiety or aggression.
Healthy dog refuses to eat
There are often cases when diseases are excluded, but the pet still does not fit the bowl. What to do in this case and how to increase the dog’s appetite? The following recommendations will help:
- You should not pamper your pet with snacks, you should not give goodies from your table. It’s no secret that most pets will prefer a piece of steak to their food.
- If the pet does not finish the portion, make it smaller and remove the bowl with the leftovers.
- Do not give the animal large portions.
- Playing with the dog more and walking outside. physical activity can increase the dog’s appetite.
In addition, you can give your dog special appetite medications. They are sold in veterinary pharmacies. It is advisable to consult a veterinarian before buying anything.
Factors affecting a dog’s appetite
There are a number of other reasons why a dog may have a poor appetite.
- Stress and depression
- New and unfamiliar food
- Dental problems
- Diseases of the stomach and intestines
- Side effects of drugs
When determining the reasons, you must also take into account the above factors. If the animal has been treated, vaccinated or prescribed any medication, notify the veterinarian conducting the study.
Prevention of loss of appetite in a dog
Here are some basic tips to improve your dog’s appetite.
The first and foremost rule: the animal needs to be fed daily at the same time. The pet must get used to this regime. And by the time of eating, she should have an appetite. If the animal is too energetic and distracted from food, it should be left alone in the kitchen, and after a while. for example, 20 minutes, come and hide the bowl of food. After a while, the pet will understand that it is necessary to finish everything when he is given such an opportunity.
Also, among the ways how you can increase the dog’s appetite, there is the following: you need to make its food more tasty. This can be done with special sauces or by diluting dry food with canned food.
If your dog has no appetite, you can try a different food. For example, replace dry with canned one, or change the brand. This should be done gradually by adding new food to old food. A sudden change in diet can lead to problems with the digestive tract.
There can be many reasons why a dog has lost appetite. Among them there are as harmless: for example, overeating, estrus, tooth growth; and quite serious: volvulus, gastrointestinal diseases, inflammation of the oral cavity. What the owner should do depends on why the dog has no appetite. In some cases, nothing needs to be done, and the problem will be eliminated by itself within 1-2 days. But at the same time, the owner needs to be careful and monitor the pet’s mood, behavior and health. So, if the dog has no appetite and appears lethargic, lethargic, it should be shown to the veterinarian. Do not delay your visit. And if the pet does not fit the bowl for more than 2 days, it is better to take him to the hospital. You can’t joke with these, as some diseases can be fatal.
The puppy has lost his appetite what to do. How to increase your dog’s appetite?
When caring for a dog, it is important to pay attention to its appetite: it is obvious that it depends on the age, breed, behavior of the dog, as well as on its other characteristics. The leanness, passivity of the animal will indicate a poor appetite. In this case, measures should be taken to correct the situation. First of all, you should understand why the dog does not eat well.
To do this, you need to see a doctor and conduct an examination. Perhaps the cause of poor appetite is the presence of worms. In this case, it is necessary to carry out a special medication, which will be prescribed by a doctor.
When the doctor is asked why the dog has lost appetite, and all the measures that are being taken do not help, he can make a special appointment, the essence of which is to use bitterness.
These include the infusion, which is created from dandelion root. Adding infusion to the diet will make it possible to significantly increase the appetite. It is important to take the product correctly. give one tablespoon to the animal about 30 minutes before it eats.
Also, you need to pay attention to the time of the year. For example, in summer, due to the high temperature, animals eat much less and drink more.
In this case, you should not think about how to increase the dog’s appetite, since this process. Natural. Pregnancy can cause loss of appetite. If none of the above aspects is observed, you can resort to special methods.
First of all, the number and duration of walks should be increased: this will make it possible to significantly increase physical activity, thanks to which the appetite will improve. Active games with your pet on the street will also be useful. Another useful tip is the right approach to nutrition.
Why does the dog have no appetite? Main reasons
All reasons for a dog’s refusal to eat can be divided into two groups:
Physiological causes include illness or injury in a dog. Any pain, nausea, or even depression can make the dog refuse to eat. For some diseases, certain foods can cause discomfort. So the dog can associate pain in the abdomen, kidneys or liver with the food that it ate last time and then refuse this menu.
Medications and certain procedures, such as chemotherapy, can cause nausea or vomiting in your dog. Antibiotics can cause liver discomfort or abdominal irritation. And any pain, including in the limbs or from a wound, can cause poor appetite.
Usually, physical reasons for refusing to eat are accompanied by some kind of symptoms. For example, if a dog has a stomach ache, he slouches when he stands and shivers. Pain in other organs can be manifested by lameness, difficulty getting up. With nausea, she has shortness of breath, drooling, watery eyes.
If such signs appear, a visit to the veterinarian should be immediate. The animal needs urgent examination and diagnosis. The second group of reasons for a dog’s lack of appetite is a behavioral problem.
Often, dog owners themselves, without suspecting, teach them to be picky and picky in food. So if a dog is given some kind of food that she refuses, and then I offer her favorite food, she learns not to eat unloved and to starve in anticipation of tidbits.
It also happens when the dog is offered food, but she refuses and the owner begins to get angry and force the dog to eat. This scares her and causes fear of the process of eating and aversion to food. After all, a dog reacts to human emotions and begins to think that food is an unpleasant event.
Lack of appetite in a dog: what to do if your dog has a poor appetite?
Does your four-legged friend have no appetite and actively refuses to eat? Of course, this is an alarming sign that often causes panic among dog owners.
However, poor appetite in a dog is not always a sign of a serious illness. Before drawing any conclusions, it is necessary to understand the reasons for the dog’s lack of appetite, and it is better to immediately show the pet to the veterinarian.
Our article will help you understand in advance what could have caused this condition and how to deal with it before visiting the veterinarian.
The dog lost its appetite. What to do?
Lack of appetite in a dog is not uncommon and, as a rule, it occurs without visible signs of illness.
Each owner needs to distinguish when his pet decided to just starve for health purposes, and when it is time to sound the alarm and see a doctor.
The dog has lost appetite
After all, there are many reasons for such a state. Lack of appetite can be caused by various bacterial and viral infections. The development of an infectious disease is usually indicated by an increased temperature. Symptoms of the disease can be apathy and general lethargy, depression and, in rare cases, it is accompanied by vomiting and diarrhea.
If the animal loses its interest in food, first of all, attention should be paid to disorders associated with the work of the digestive system. Diseases of the digestive system are very often accompanied by a lack of appetite. Another symptom may be painful sensations in the epigastric region, accompanied by vomiting or upset stools. One of the reasons why the dog began to eat poorly may be a stressful situation that led to a strong emotional shock. Pets of decorative breeds are especially sensitive in this respect. Their nervous system does not perceive a strong fright, a change in their usual environment, as well as aggression towards themselves from other dogs. All this, as well as a change of owner, can lead to the development of serious depression. After all, these four-legged pets have an unbalanced nervous system.
Worms can be among the causes of loss of appetite. Their activity in the intestines can provoke an emetic reaction or frequent loose stools. In this case, the animal gets tired quickly and looks lethargic. To exclude the possibility of the presence of helminths in the body, the veterinary clinic conducts the necessary laboratory tests, subjecting feces and vomit to analysis.
It is very common for a dog to lose appetite when it develops an oral disease. If the gums become inflamed and bleed, teeth hurt or damaged, and significant tartar appears, the animal may stop eating. Treatment in this case can be prescribed by an experienced veterinarian. He will examine the sick animal and, if necessary, carry out an emergency removal of the diseased tooth. Thus, acute inflammation can be prevented.
Why does a dog lose appetite??
A dog’s loss of appetite can be caused by a variety of reasons. We will tell you about the most common.
1. Dental diseases. Examine your pet’s mouth carefully. The dog may have lost appetite due to broken teeth, inflammation or infection of the gums, damage to the coating of the mouth.
2. Pain. Often it is pain that provokes refusal of food in dogs. Observe your dog closely for symptoms such as fever, shivering, fever, lethargy, decreased physical activity, hunchback, irritability, or sleepiness. If there are even a couple of these symptoms. It means that the dog is in pain. Try to identify the site of pain and see a doctor!
3. Ear infections. Ear infections can cause decreased appetite in dogs. Especially in this case, dogs refuse solid food.
4. Carefully check the food you give your dog for freshness. Often they refuse to eat what has begun to deteriorate.
5. Problems with dog behavior. It is this reason that can provoke the “harmfulness” of the dog and, as a result, refusal of food. It should be noted that it is better to feed the dog in a familiar environment.
If she refuses to eat, then after a while, remove the bowl and offer the same food as the next meal. Only a veterinarian can more accurately answer the question of why a dog has no appetite.
Poor dog appetite. What to do?
Last Updated 2013-11-14 15:19
If you notice that your dog is eating poorly, it has no appetite, then this is an alarming sign. You should not be loyal to this, perhaps something is wrong with her health. Of course, this is not always associated with the disease, but it is still better to show the animal to the veterinarian.
Let’s take a look at some of the reasons a dog might lose their appetite:
1) Viral disease. Watch the dog for several hours if the dog exhibits tremors, lethargy, irritability, drowsiness, fever, or fever. This means that the dog has a pain. These can be viral diseases or diseases of the intestinal tract.
2) Dental diseases. Open the dog’s mouth and examine it carefully. The dog may have a broken tooth, inflamed gums, damage to the oral cavity or stomatitis.
3) Ears. If your dog has inflamed ears, it can also reduce appetite.
4) Check food before feeding. Perhaps the food is either poor quality or spoiled.
5) Loss of appetite in a dog is sometimes not associated with diseases. For example, a dog may eat poorly simply because it does not like the food. Try to feed her, whatever else, diversify her diet.
If the dog eats poorly, not because of illness. That is a good way to raise her appetite. Walk the dog a lot, keep it physically occupied (run, play). Fresh air and exercise should awaken her appetite.
Also, there are pharmacological drugs that increase the appetite of animals. You can purchase special vitamins from your veterinary pharmacy to increase your appetite.
If in doubt, contact your veterinarian. Experienced doctors will tell you what is wrong with your pet and, if necessary, carry out treatment.
Stress, experiencing intense emotions, or burnout
It’s okay to lose your appetite for a day because of anxiety, but be careful not to become a habit.
Loss of appetite can also be caused by decreased physical activity.
Loss of appetite as a symptom
Loss of appetite can sometimes indicate more serious troubles.
As a rule, such cases are easily identified by the presence of accompanying symptoms: if anorexia is a symptom of a serious problem, it will not come alone.
Wild garlic is considered an excellent means of fighting bad appetite.
Lack of appetite in the elderly
If an elderly person has no appetite, there is no need to immediately wonder what to do.
If in general there is no deterioration in health, unwillingness to eat is not accompanied by other symptoms, this is only a manifestation of age. The older we get, the less energy the body needs.
- Appetite: causes of violation and how to solve problems
- What to do if your pet refuses to eat
Excessive obsession with diets
When dieting, people ignore the feeling of hunger, and it can just turn off. Be sure to consult with a nutritionist, choose diets that are suitable and do not follow them for longer than the prescribed period.
What to do if your pet refuses to eat
With people sorted out; now let’s talk about those cases when the pet’s appetite disappeared.
Understanding that a cat or dog has no appetite is simple: the bowl is untouched all day, and the pet behaves unusual, showing lethargy or unusual activity. What to do?
The only thing that you can do at home if your cat or dog has no appetite is to make sure that you are offering the pet suitable food.
Sometimes our four-legged friends realize long before us that some product is spoiled and refuse to eat it.
This is also the reaction to an unusual food or even a new taste.
If the animal stops looking at food with interest, take it to the vet
For example, my cat ignored canned rabbit-flavored food for days on end, although all other products from this manufacturer were killed with a bang behind the ears. Everything is individual.
There are many reasons for pets to refuse food, and like humans, they range from harmless to quite dangerous.
Appetite encompasses and satisfies three nutritional goals:
- Getting energy
- Intake of vitamins and minerals
- The pleasure of eating
All of these points are equally important for a healthy body.
The first and second are the guarantee of physical well-being, and for the harmony of the mental state, one cannot do without the third.
Decreased or lost appetite or hypo- and anorexia is a serious problem that can occur in a person of any age.
It is not always a cause for concern, but it always requires you to listen to yourself and understand why the body has decided that it does not need food.
Not always wanting to eat indicates health problems.
Meteosensitive people experience decreased appetite during difficult weather periods.
One day, those who do not suffer too much from its changes risk falling under the influence of the weather, because in summer the body usually needs less food.
At this time, its main task is to maintain a normal water balance. you need to drink more fluids, and the appetite will return when the heat subsides.
It is caused by the following factors: