If a tumor has opened. Interview with a leading oncologist
One of the most frequent questions that pet owners ask oncologists on the forum of our clinic is the question of what to do if a tumor has opened in a cat. It is impossible to cover all aspects of this problem in detail in the format of the forum, so we decided to discuss them with the leading oncologist of the Biocontrol clinic, candidate of biological sciences, Alexander Alexandrovich Shimshirt.
When a tumor opens in a cat, the animal instinctively tries to get rid of this smell by licking itself. Cats have a rough tongue and, accordingly, when the animal begins to perform a standard hygienic licking procedure with itself, it further injures the tumor. So in a cat, the consequences of opening a tumor will develop faster and be more uncomfortable than in a dog.
Another point is that some skin tumors can open and they are considered malignant from the point of view that, having opened, due to the inflammatory component, they can give a large volume of inflammation with the screening of tumor cells in the surrounding tissues, and with an inadequate attitude of the doctor when removing the tumor a relapse may occur in this area. Therefore, they are malignant due to the ability to recur. At the same time, metastasis in a number of skin neoplasms that have opened, for example, in basal cell carcinoma, which occurs in both cats and dogs, occurs rather slowly and rarely. Therefore, the opened tumor of the opened tumor is different. There are situations when the formation can exist for a long time, for example, a tumor of the hair follicle (sebaceous gland). Then it becomes inflamed, then it is opened and the contents of the tumor come out of it. Then the surface is again covered with scar tissue and then it waits until the formation again increases in size and becomes inflamed again.
But in general, it is believed that the fact of inflammation and the presence of ulcers is already a negative sign that requires urgent action: going to the doctor, prescribing antibiotics, anti-inflammatory drugs, and in most cases surgical excision in the near future. Because the presence of an ulcer is a manifestation of inflammation; inflammation is a factor of subsequent rapid growth, and, as a rule, ulceration, and ulcers most often are malignant tumors that can metastasize.
With a dog, everything is easier, because dogs are more focused on tactile contact with the owner, they are more willing to allow themselves to be examined. But, of course, a lot depends on the owner. There are very attentive people who find small neoplasms in their pets, which are difficult to find even for a doctor during the initial examination. Therefore, there is, of course, some truth that this inattention to the animal is. But I would not say it categorically.
The owner’s arsenal should have standard antiseptic solutions that are used to treat the skin. For mucous membranes, it is better to use solutions of chlorhexidine 0.05%, miramistin, furacilin. After treatment, it is advisable to put on a protective bandage, come up with a bandage and put on a protective collar for the animal, especially if the animal is trying to lick the wound.
If we are talking about a malignant process, then it is necessary to get advice from a veterinarian and, best of all, with a certain specialization. It should be either a surgeon or an oncologist, that is, a specialist who can adequately advise how to behave in this situation. The doctor will be able to perform surgical treatment, recommend an operation and some additional therapy: antibiotic therapy, for example, until the animal resolves the issue of surgically removing the lesion. Because for the most part, opened tumors require surgical removal, and as soon as possible.
Surgical intervention in relation to tumors in animals is not considered in the projection of only simple surgical excision. Such important points as, firstly, whether this excision will improve the quality of life of the animal, and secondly, whether the animal will continue to live adequately, whether it will be mobile after the operation, and how long the rehabilitation period will be, are assessed. All these points are taken into account by the oncologist surgeon. If he considers the intervention to be expedient, if it is likely that this intervention will be successful, it is performed. If this intervention is crippling, if it does not improve the quality of life of the animal, or if the prognosis is unfavorable, then there is no talk of an operation.
Any neoplasm, especially in an older animal, must be treated carefully. It is imperative to find out what the nature of education is in order to develop an approach and tactics, how to deal with it in a particular scenario of the development of events. The earlier a problem is discovered, the higher the likelihood of solving it. This will not only save the life and health of the pet, but also save the owner’s time and money.
Thank you for such a detailed material. Very interesting article.
He who thinks clearly expresses it clearly! Respect to the author of the article. How can I get an appointment? The cat is 12 years old. On May 23, 2018, a planned dental surgery was performed for FORL. A biomaterial was taken from the center of invasive epithelial formation of the oral mucosa for histology: squamous cell carcinoma, highly differentiated. Blood taken: calicivirus (PCR) positive (titer 8/1). Glasses on hands. There is a photo of the oral cavity during the operation. The tumor opened up. Often bleeding in the mouth, swallows, does not allow to examine. What to do?
How to relieve pain in kidney disease? From Olga. 08/09/2018.
Olga, hello! In order to get an appointment with Alexander Alexandrovich, it is enough to call our registration office (7-495-989-11-41) and sign up. Appointment by appointment costs the same as admission by appointment.
If you want to discuss the questions that you have with our specialists in advance, before the appointment, you can do this on the Bioforum: https://www.biocontrol.ru/forum/
Thank you very much for the information presented in the article. It was very useful and eliminated some of my doubts. The dog is 14 years old (picked up by a newborn puppy, looks like a briard in breed). He is seriously ill. The tumor of the mammary glands The tumor has opened. Vete the doctor outlined his version of removal. but did not promise positive results. May not be able to withstand anesthesia. The choice was ours. The operation was refused In addition to local treatments for the tumor, he did not appoint anything. What can you suggest in our case Thank you!
Tamara, hello! It is better for you to discuss this issue directly with our oncologists. Register on the forum and ask it in the “Questions to the oncologist” section, here: https://www.biocontrol.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=7sid=8bb6cbabfec415e589a8785602028669
Hello! How was your situation resolved? Is the pet alive? The same problem now. (
Hello. The cat has a breast tumor. They had an operation, and the veterinarian explained that there was pus in the trenches and that the cat was angry and there was nothing to help. That it was impossible to remove everything, because the muscles did not grow together., There were no metostases. Please tell me how long the cat will live without suffering from pain?
Oksana, hello! This is a very strange story. You urgently need to consult with surgeons or oncologists. This can be done on our Bioforum, in the section “Questions to the surgeon” or “Questions to the oncologist”: https://www.biocontrol.ru/forum/
The dog is 14 years old, no one undertook to remove the tumor of the mammary glands due to age. the operation to remove the uterus was done at the age of 9. Now the tumor has opened, bleeding. The doctor made roncoleukin. In addition, the dog’s hind legs gave up. It’s a pity awful, I understand everything, but I don’t know what to do. What do you advise?
Galina, about caring for an opened tumor, consult directly with our oncologists here: https://www.biocontrol.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=7sid=61e56ee80a9d2c73b0f3a494fb3d732b
Galina, hello! Please tell me how your situation was resolved. We have a similar case now. The dog is 14 years old, his legs also failed, the tumor went down the hind legs, everything was opened (((how long did your dog live in this state? Thank you
Good afternoon, we found a bump on the dog’s right forearm. there are no mammary glands inside the contents of lymph and blood, the vet doctor made a puncture, a lot of blood came out with lymph during autopsy, she said that the cavity was chamber, everything was difficult, today she sent it to an x-ray that this dog was healthy for 10 years, had nothing but otitis media, after leaving the contents of the lump deflated, the doctor applied a tight bandage
Hello, tell me, please, the cat has a breast tumor, the cat is 14 years old, the tumor is growing strongly, already about 6-7 cm in diameter, the clinic recommends an operation, and we are afraid that his body will undergo anesthesia. How to proceed, he is more than a family member.
Julia, good afternoon! The operation should be done if the doctor recommends it. AMF will not go away by itself, its development will be painful and disastrous for the cat. The anesthesiologist will examine the cat, carry out the necessary studies and select the most appropriate anesthesia regimen for him.
I have a doggy, a French bulldog girl, 12 years old, breast cancer, a tumor has opened, a clear liquid with a smell, I wash the wound with chlorhexine and treat stellanin peg with peroxide. the operation or not passed many veterinary clinics of oncologists, some say to do it urgently, others cannot not stand the surgeon Dmitry Evgenievich Tsygankov suggested anesthesia an epidural injection into the spine and again there will be plastic due to lack of skin advise the cake whether to do the operation
Hello Irina. The operation is worth doing. A breast tumor is much more life threatening than the risk of surgery. Modern methods and possibilities of anesthesia reduce this risk to a minimum. Skin grafting is a standard feature of this type of surgery. nothing wrong with her.
If you have any other questions, you can ask them directly to our specialists here: https://www.biocontrol.ru/forum/
Hello Irina! Tell me how your situation with the dog was resolved. We have the same problems now (the dog is alive?
Hello. The cat has a tumor on her chest, the veterinarian said that she was old, she may not be able to withstand the operation. The tumor has increased to 3 cm. Tell me, can you smear it with something for prevention, it is not hidden?
Natalia, hello! It is better to consult our oncologists directly about this. To do this, write about your problem on the Bioforum, in the section “Questions to the oncologist”: https://www.biocontrol.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=7
Hello, my cat has a milky green tumor. she is 13 years old, what to do if the veterinary said the price of 10 thousand. Without taking into account the analyzes. Unfortunately, I don’t have that kind of money. and the cat is with me from birth. the tumor is growing, I don’t know what to do.
Hello Love! Check with our oncologists what you can do. Here: https://www.biocontrol.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=7
My cat has a tumor of the mammary gland, kitties are 14 years old. The tumor has opened, bleeds, the cat screams and does not allow any procedures. It is very difficult to observe what is happening. What to do and how to help the animal.?
Marina, hello! You can consult with Alexander Alexandrovich and other oncologists of “Biocontrol” on the forum, here: https://www.biocontrol.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=7sid=0e2391f5c37f3c148cb3a257c7438b9e
My cat is 14 years old and has a breast tumor. The tumor has opened and a brown liquid is flowing out of it, but the cat is doing well. The doctor recommended an operation, but I am afraid if the animal will withstand the anesthesia because I remember her condition after receiving anesthesia during sterilization, She came to her senses for a very long time. Maybe there are folk remedies to get rid of this ailment?
Folk remedies do not stop the development of the tumor process. At some point, the growth of tumors will begin to bring pain and suffering to the cat, not comparable to the sensations experienced after anesthesia. The decision on how dangerous anesthesia is for the patient should be made by the anesthesiologist.
Good day! We also have a diagnosis in Devi. breast cancer, operated on, removed a number of breasts, lymph nodes, a year later a tumor appeared on the other side, rapid growth, metastases in one lung, they do not undertake surgery, the tumor opened We undergo a course of antibiotics, droppers, wound treatment In general We do everything to improve the quality of life of our girl. We hope for the best, but the forecast does not please Animals as people. want to live!
Answer for Sofia If the doctors undertake to operate, operate, there are no other ways Do not waste time We underwent an X-ray, a detailed blood test, since the X-ray is bad, they have not done an ultrasound of the heart, do not waste time, fight for the life of your pet
We are responsible for those whom we have tamed. May God grant your cat health and patience.!
Hello. Two years ago, when my kitty was 12.5 years old, he developed an ovarian tumor (not neutered). The clinics refused to do the operation, citing his age and that it was useless, that he had a maximum of 2 months left. A little over a month later, the tumor opened up. We applied ointment and bandaged. Everything was covered in blood. But thank Gods, after 5 months my cat went on the mend and recovered! But today I discovered a new tumor on his paw. The tumor is bald, pink, not very hard. Almost the size of a cherry. I am already scared. Tell me what drugs can be given to a cat against a tumor? It’s useless to take him to the clinic. And to what size can this tumor grow? (((
Good afternoon, Elizabeth! On this issue, you better communicate with our oncologists directly, here: https://www.biocontrol.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=7sid=99ce069287d18506a578fde8c2647d93
The cat is 16 years old. The tumor has opened a wound, the smell is terrible, there is a lot of blood. But she is cheerful and eats well! What should we do! And it is a pity and it is unbearable for all the things to be covered in blood. the smell is terrible.?
Regina, hello. Of course, it hurts, it’s an open wound. Urgently contact her to a specialist, veterinary oncologist.
The cat is 17 years old. Breast tumor opened. Is it possible to euthanize a cat, there is no way to cure.
The owner makes the decision to euthanize the pet independently. Veterinarian approval is not required for this.
Hello, not long ago, cats removed a tumor of the mammary gland, there was also a lymph node under the armpit, but now it was as if a bag of fluid formed under the armpit, what could it be?
Irina, hello! On this issue, you better communicate with our oncologists directly, here: https://www.biocontrol.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=7sid=c2946d0c2703914cd9ab707d0774d7cf
Hello1 I can’t enter the forum. but urgently need to consult. They wanted to show exactly the picture. as the matter is in the picture of the process. Briefly. there was a tumor on the paw, the right part. operated on, no special treatment was prescribed. So, they did something. The paw died out. but after a month and a half or two, the mammary glands began to increase again, and the lower ones increased. Addressed. too, especially nothing, except as. we observe. a month has passed a little growth. preparations. no. Again. to them. (searched in the vicinity). just observed. The analysis was done even before the operation on the paw. I forgot to say. sarcoma. And the last time. a month ago. they did cytology. carcinoma. After the puncture, to take the contents. two days later the tumor began to grow before our eyes. turned to stone with hillocks. she got bored. especially at the injection site. We rushed to look for at least some kind of specialists, they are not. They don’t undertake the operation. like it is necessary to reduce the tumor with chemistry. they did chemistry. Zaledronic acid. for 5 days already, but the swelling does not subside, the consistency of the tumor changes, the color is not pale-whitish. The dog is 14 years old, very strong constitution. On natural feeding, last year, she gave birth 3 times, the puppies are excellent. They used some kind of drugs after injuries, the dislocation was difficult, then this paw. A little depressed. but eats the same way, actively but depressed. How to contact someone who would undertake to assess the current situation from the photo? Ready to pay, of course. in touch.
Treating constipation in dogs
Therapeutic treatment includes the use of lactulose preparations that soften feces. Duphalac, Lizolak, Laktusan, Livo-lac, Portalak. In addition, for this purpose, you can use petroleum jelly.
The most effective method of relieving a pet from constipation, as well as preventing them, is enemas. They successfully cleanse the intestines of hardened fecal stones.
If a diagnostic study has shown that the dog’s intestines are filled with bone fragments, then often surgical intervention is required to remove them, performed under general anesthesia.
If constipation is accompanied by profuse vomiting and a complete lack of appetite, then supportive therapy in the form of droppers is prescribed, which protects the body from dehydration.
In more complicated cases, veterinarians may resort to amputation of a fragment of the large intestine along with the masses that fill it.
Constipation in a dog. What to do
Dog owners have at least once in their lives faced with the lack of defecation of the pet or its difficulty. But not everyone knows how to deal with this problem and how you can help your four-legged friend. Is constipation always a reason for going to the veterinarian and what to do if the dog has constipation?
Improper diet and other causes of constipation
A lot depends on proper nutrition, including the quantity and quality of bowel movements. Constipation can be caused by the following:
- the dog ate a large number of bones, especially boiled tubular;
- the pet is fed with steep broth;
- there is a large amount of fiber in the diet;
- overfeeding the dog.
Also, difficult bowel movements can be caused by feeding dry food that is not suitable for the pet.
Often, constipation is not an independent disease, but only one of the symptoms of a more serious condition:
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, liver and kidneys;
- neurological or orthopedic problems;
- diseases of the paraanal gland and prostate in males.
The ingestion of foreign objects into the pet’s body can also provoke obstruction of feces. If a veterinarian finds out the cause of constipation, then an x-ray of the peritoneum, a general blood test, an ultrasound examination are prescribed.
Correction of nutrition for constipation
If the dog does not have special symptoms that require medical attention, the owner can help the pet by changing its diet:
- The following foods are excluded from the diet: rice, legumes, meat broths, corn, meat with muscle tissue (muscle), cheeses, yesterday’s fermented milk products, cheeses.
- Food is given fractionally, in small portions, it is desirable that it be liquid and warm.
- It is recommended to include in the dog’s menu:
- boiled buckwheat, boiled in water or milk;
- vegetable stew;
- a small amount of boiled sea fish, thoroughly cleaned of bones, preference should be given to fish with white meat;
- freshly prepared kefir, yogurt without additives;
- raw vegetables. carrots and beets;
- fresh plums (if the pet does not have an allergic reaction and no more than two pieces).
While the dog is sick, you can feed it ready-made canned food intended for puppies or dogs with chronic diseases. Usually, such feeds have increased digestibility.
Home remedies for constipation
Pet owners can independently cope with constipation in a dog if it is caused only by improper diet.
The following products help to eliminate it:
- yogurt (given instead of breakfast);
- fresh cabbage juice (you should be careful with it, as it often causes increased gas formation);
- buckthorn broth;
- infusion of pumpkin seeds (2 tablespoons of seeds for one glass of boiling water, infused for about half an hour in the warmth);
- a mixture of crushed flax seeds with vegetable oil or ready-made flax oil.
It is strictly forbidden to give the pet everything at once, you should choose only one specific option.
At home, you can do cleansing enemas with petroleum jelly. Warmed to a warm state, the oil is gently and slowly injected into the dog’s rectum. For a very large pet, one glass of oil is taken, for a dog weighing about 20 kg. 75-100 ml, for small breeds, 1-2 tablespoons are enough.
If it does not go away, then the pet most likely has intestinal obstruction and the procedure should be stopped.
Enemas are best done by placing the dog in the bathroom or basin, purely for hygiene reasons.
You can try oral petroleum jelly before you have an enema. It is warmed to room temperature and injected into the dog’s cheeks using a syringe that does not have a needle. For dwarf breeds, one teaspoon is enough for a single intake, medium. one tablespoon, large. 2-3 tablespoons. You need to give it twice a day, until a positive result is achieved.
Do not worry too much about an overdose, as its excess leaves the body naturally. In case of constipation, it is recommended to increase the number of walks up to 5 times a day and try to walk as much as possible. Movement has a beneficial effect on the activity of the intestines, makes it work. This regime should be observed for two or three days.
If the actions did not have the proper effect, the dog still has symptoms of the disease, then it is imperative to seek medical help.
Symptoms of constipation in a dog
If a person has a dog, then he must take care of her and be attentive to her health. What can tell that the pet is not all right with the intestines??
First of all, a healthy dog goes to the toilet “on a large scale” at least twice a day. If she began to empty herself less often or completely stopped, then this is a reason to take a closer look at her general condition, while you should not immediately panic. The number of bowel movements of an animal largely depends on its size, physiology and age.
First of all, you need to evaluate how the pet behaves. If he is vigorous, cheerful, with a good appetite, and the feces have a uniform tight consistency, then there is no particular cause for concern.
On a walk, you can notice that the dog is trying to go to the toilet, pushing, straining hard, but to no avail. At this moment, you can hear how she squeals and whines, as constipation causes pain and discomfort.
In addition, there are several symptoms that clearly indicate that the dog is constipated:
- bloating. gas builds up in the intestines, and the dog often growls in the stomach;
- lack of appetite. with intestinal obstruction, in most cases, pets refuse food;
- the dog may vomit;
- she drinks a lot of water;
- general malaise. the dog accepts the message about walking without much enthusiasm, moves little and wants to go home.
In some cases, you can help your pet on your own, but not always. Seek medical help if you have the following symptoms:
- if there is blood impurity, foam, particles of undigested food in the feces;
- feces have a distinct smell of rot and dampness.
What can cause such a condition?
Preventive measures for constipation
Like any other ailment, constipation is better prevented than treated later. What should be done to prevent such a state? The following rules must be observed:
- compliance with the feeding regime is mandatory. the pet must receive food at the same time in the prescribed amount;
- consumption of heavy foods in large quantities should be avoided, everything should be in moderation;
- you should not treat the dog with bones every day, they should be a rare delicacy in the diet (it is the bones that most often cause intestinal blockage);
- exclude from the diet foods that cause increased gas formation. legumes, apples, cabbage, including Brussels sprouts and broccoli, oats, starches. potato and corn;
- provide your pet with round-the-clock access to water, and it must always be fresh;
- periodically enrich the pet’s nutrition with vitamin and mineral supplements;
- try to walk your pet more often, and not less than 20 minutes;
- refuse to walk the dog that has just eaten, at least 30 minutes should pass from the moment of feeding;
- do not forget about the regular intake of anthelmintic drugs and preventive vaccination.
In most cases, if we are not talking about hereditary and congenital ailments, the health of the pet depends on the care and concern of the owner. The more attention is paid to the development and well-being of the dog, the healthier the dog, the longer his life will be. And if constipation occurs, then a caring owner knows how to save a four-legged friend from this trouble.
How to equip a dog’s bed?
- Where to arrange a place for childbirth? You can put your dog in one place after delivery and in another place before delivery. In any case, take care of the arrangement in advance. A place somewhere away from doors, drafts will do. What should be the place? Dry, spacious, comfortable, soft, warm, durable, open (this will make it easier for you to access the puppies, and the pet will feel better next to your beloved owner).
- What’s the best fit? Large box or playpen. Important: make one of the walls of the house for the dog slightly lower than the others, the dog should be able to get out of its shelter if desired, but the puppies should not.
- Separate place for childbirth. A large bed or sofa is suitable, which needs to be covered with a diaper and a sheet. This solution is beneficial for large four-legged friends.
- Heating system. A special lamp or heating pad will help. In the first days of the week, the temperature should not drop below 28 degrees, after which you can gradually lower it to 20.
Remember: after giving birth, the box where you put the droppings should be replaced.
Symptoms of an imminent birth of puppies
As described above, the behavior of a dog before giving birth depends on the individual characteristics of each individual. However, almost all bitches before giving birth are busy with their bed and its improvement. Symptoms before childbirth in dogs can occur all at the same time, or not at all. There is one sure symptom of an early birth. temperature. The fact is that the temperature of a dog before childbirth drops to 36.6-37.5 degrees, which is an unnaturally low indicator for normal healthy dogs (usually the temperature is kept at 38-39 degrees). Most often, milk comes out of the nipples when pressed. This indicates that your dog is about to give birth.
Before the birth itself, the pet may moan, tremble, as the water flows out of it. It is better to put it in a place prepared in advance and not go far.
Also, a day or half a day before giving birth, a four-legged friend may refuse to eat.
When to take a giving birth dog to the vet?
It is better to initially give birth in the hospital if the dog was larger than the bitch or if the bitch weighs less than 4 kg and if the pregnancy was difficult.
When to go to the hospital or call the veterinarian:
- Vaginal discharge smells unbearable.
- Long pauses between puppies coming out (more than an hour and a half), before the doctor arrives, massage the dog’s belly with light movements.
- Fever over 40 degrees (this is a sign that the puppy is dying).
- Pet restlessness after childbirth, impaired coordination, seizures.
- Loss of consciousness.
- The duration of the prenatal period takes longer than a day.
- The birth of a dead puppy.
- The last afterbirth does not come out.
You will be much safer if you invite a veterinarian to the house with the necessary set of medicines.
How a dog behaves before giving birth?
To the above, it should be added that during the prenatal stage, the pet is worried, is struggling to equip its bed, the pet’s heavy breathing is felt. Plus, a four-legged friend can look under her tail in anticipation. The behavior of the dog before giving birth can make the owner himself worried, but you should not show your worries, as this will affect the expectant mother. Your floor may also be damaged, as the dog will “dig” it. She can also hide in dark corners so that no one can see her. Sometimes the dog before giving birth becomes the “tail” of the owner and pursues him absolutely everywhere. This is due to the fact that your pet is already feeling the first pains. Her eyes concentrate on nearby objects, and her tail takes a strange pose (stretched back, tip down).
How to understand that your pet is pregnant?
In the early stages, it is impossible to say anything. Sometimes the bitch becomes quieter, more peaceful, eats a lot or a little. You can notice something only in the second month of bearing puppies:
- The belly is enlarged.
- Weight increases.
- The mammary glands protrude and slightly change color at the nipples.
- Something like mucous discharge comes from the penis.
- Gently feeling the belly, you feel hard lumps.
The extreme and already “finishing off” factor. the dog is trying in every possible way to equip its home for the puppies. You will notice this immediately and will not confuse it with anything. It is better to go to the veterinarian in the second month and take an x-ray to know how many babies to expect.
What to do if your dog is shaking before giving birth?
The sight of a shaking bitch can scare inexperienced owners. Don’t panic ahead of time. It is normal for a pregnant dog to tremble and whine from contractions before giving birth. Don’t worry prematurely. Place the pet in her bed.
How to prepare for childbirth?
The first thing to do. it is a couple of weeks before the expected birth to arrange a place where the dog will be with his puppies. The second is to let your darling get used to it. During the last week, it is better to take a vacation and be with the dog all the time. Do not invite friends and acquaintances home, because the pet can get more nervous about strangers. Make an agreement with the veterinarian so that if something happens, he will come to you immediately. If your mother-to-be has a long coat, gently cut it in the genital area. Remember, you should have everything ready for the last week. You will need:
- Threads (you will tie the umbilical cord with them, it is better to process them in advance).
- Box (where you put the puppies born, it is important that the mother can approach her cubs).
- Waste container (here you will throw dirty rags, diapers and other waste).
- A clock and a sheet with a pen (this will make it easier for you to calculate the time of puppies’ appearance, you will also write down the time of birth, gender, color and weight of the puppy).
- Small scales.
- A large number of diapers, rags (everything must be sterile).
- Scissors (must also be sterile).
- Clean wipes.
- Solution (for hand treatment).
- Thermometer for a dog (to monitor its temperature).
- Indoor thermometer (to keep abreast of the temperature surrounding newborns).
- Hot water bottle (you must put it in the puppy box).
Whelping puppies, Feathering. Tips and Advice for a canine in labor
Preparing for childbirth
The approach of childbirth in a dog requires the owner to prepare for the process. This is done like this:
- it is necessary to prepare a place, lay a clean cloth there;
- stock up on a piece of clean, natural cloth to wipe the baby, blunt scissors for cutting the umbilical cord, silk threads;
- you can take care of a place for the puppies: a small box will do, inside which a woolen cloth is laid, put a heating pad. there must be warmth there;
- the day before the start of the process, the bitch is washed the belly, the genital area, and the hair is cut off in these places.
Both overheating and hypothermia are dangerous for the dog and puppies.
Therefore, the temperature at the place of birth is maintained at around 28 degrees. And this is taken care of in advance!
Features in small breeds
Such dogs are at risk for the following reasons:
- with a small body of a woman in labor, puppies often develop large, and this greatly complicates the process;
- generic instincts in representatives of small breeds are usually reduced;
- their nervous system is more vulnerable.
These factors make childbirth in a small breed dog difficult, so it is advisable to have a qualified doctor in charge.
Birth. childbirth in a dog: signs of onset and the process of childbirth, how to take them at home
You need to prepare for childbirth in advance, do everything correctly and accurately in the process, and then pay a lot of attention to both the dog and the puppies. Mistakes that people make, wanting to help a pet, can lead to a serious illness.
How is a dog giving birth and how should you help at home? about this in a detailed review below.
Signals for the owner
By the end of the second month of pregnancy, the owners are supposed to be on their guard. How to understand that a dog is in labor? Veterinarians consider the following signs of the beginning of the process:
- a decrease in rectal temperature (35 degrees in small breeds, 37 in large breeds), and this happens a day before childbirth;
- relaxation of the muscles in the pelvic and abdominal region, which gives the impression of a “hanging” abdomen;
- change in the pet’s behavior: it becomes restless, the bitch hides and makes itself something like a nest, follows the owners, as if asking for something;
- loss of appetite, vomiting is possible;
- establishment of lactation;
- whitish, light gray discharge;
- shortness of breath, increased heart rate, chills.
Dog labor: the signs of onset and the process of labor should be under the full supervision of caring owners. Otherwise, complications are possible: endometritis, eclampsia.
How to induce labor in a dog? If prenatal signs appear and last more than 24 hours, and the dog has no contractions, you should immediately contact your veterinarian.
Self-help of the owners in this situation is undesirable.
Stages of the appearance of puppies
How long does a dog give birth? Veterinarians divide the whole process into three basic stages.
Contractions. And its normal duration is equal to 6-12 hours. At this time, the dog’s vaginal muscles relax, the cervix opens, the uterus itself begins to contract, but the muscles of the peritoneum are not yet involved. During the stage, the rectal temperature of the woman in labor remains low.
The pet’s anxiety increases, she looks at her stomach, breathes often and heavily, she may start to scratch the bedding, she may vomit.
The end of the first stage of labor is considered to be an increase in the uterine contractions of the dog and an increase in their intensity.
The birth of puppies. It starts when the waters recede. After this, the contractions intensify, the muscles of the peritoneum are already involved in them, and then the baby appears. For puppies, the norm is to appear both head and legs forward.
Puppies come out at intervals of half an hour to three hours.
If a bitch begins to have greenish or brown discharge, but the puppy does not appear within 2 to 4 hours, if the waters have receded, however, labor has not begun during the same period, if after the appearance of the puppy the next one does not come out within 4 hours, you should immediately call veterinarian!
Separation of the placenta. Normally, it happens after the calf leaves. The dog can eat them, this is normal, but it is worth making sure that it does not eat more than 2-3, otherwise diarrhea will begin. Maybe not eat.
Remnants of the placenta can also be released in postpartum discharge. This happens at 1 week, and the discharge itself is usually greenish.
The most important thing is that all the placentas come out.
If at least one afterbirth remains inside, this can lead to purulent inflammation of the uterus.
If not all the afterbirths have departed, if purulent discharge with an unpleasant odor appears, if there is a long bleeding from the genitals, if the temperature rises, you should urgently contact your veterinarian!
Childbirth in a dog: signs of onset and the process of childbirth
What is the owner to do?
How to give birth to a dog at home? At each of the stages described above, the owner will require certain actions.
- the dog often needs the presence of the owner, his attention and affection, which means that you need to be near her, you can talk, soothing;
- Careful, gentle stroking of the pet on the back and abdomen can relieve pain;
- light massage in the form of tapping movements on the sides also helps;
- in no way try to speed up the process!
- if the puppy came out, but the bitch did not break the umbilical cord and the amniotic sac, the owner does it;
- the umbilical cord is tied with silk thread;
- if the puppy did not breathe and did not make any sounds at once, it is necessary to check the mouth and nose, possibly remove the mucus;
- after this, the baby needs to be wiped off and put next to the dog so that he immediately begins to suck;
- at the same time, his intestines should start up, i.e. the first feces, usually black in color, leave;
- if this does not happen, you can gently massage his tummy;
- after 5 or 10 minutes, the eaten baby is transferred to a box, however, so that the mother can see him.
- it is necessary to count the born puppies and the released afterbirths. their number should be the same;
- you need to be careful and count those traces that the dog can eat too;
- after the end of childbirth, the litter of the pet needs to be changed and all the babies are transferred to her. now she takes care of them herself.
The first birth of a dog what to do? Particularly noteworthy are dogs giving birth for the first time. They need to be carefully monitored, to control their actions, since they have no experience, and instincts are smoothed out. Otherwise, if done correctly, labor will be safe for both the bitch and the puppies.
Also check out the video on dog birthing:
The dog has lost appetite: how to determine the cause and help your pet
The situation when a dog has lost its appetite is familiar to every experienced breeder. This is not always a sign of health problems, the animal may refuse food for other reasons.
In order not to miss the development of a dangerous disease, it is necessary to observe the behavior of the pet and know what factors can deprive the animal of the desire to eat.
What to do if a dog has lost appetite for a long time
When a dog’s appetite does not recover for more than 3-4 days, it may be a sign of illness.
To make the diagnosis easier, you need to take the following steps:
- check the dog’s food, exclude from the diet all products, the quality and freshness of which are in doubt;
- observe the behavior of the pet, since many diseases are manifested by apathy or excessive anxiety of the animal;
- examine the pet’s oral cavity for dental problems or inflammation of the mucous membranes;
- check the auricles, since diseases of the auditory organs often cause pain when chewing food;
- if possible, measure the body temperature of the pet.
Even if no visible problems were found, but the animal still does not eat, you should not postpone the visit to the veterinary clinic, it is better to seek professional help as soon as possible.
If the dog does not eat for more than 2-3 days, this is a reason to consult a veterinarian.
Why your dog has no appetite: physiological and behavioral factors
Serious factors that require special attention can serve as a reason for refusing food.
- stressful and depressive conditions;
- poor quality or unusual food;
- oversaturation with a specific type of feed;
- worms and other parasitic diseases;
- dental problems (periodontal disease, etc.);
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- side effects from taking medications.
The listed factors require professional intervention to change the daily diet of the animal.
What veterinarians offer
When no apparent reasons for the animal refusing food were found, the following examinations are carried out by specialists:
- general analysis of blood and urine;
- blood test for hormone levels;
- taking x-rays to detect or exclude tumors;
- additional examination for ultrasound in order to detect those violations that cannot be detected using an X-ray;
- egg worm detection tests.
After the diagnosis is made, symptomatic treatment is performed. Generally, dogs’ appetite recovers as they recover.
When to sound the alarm
If your pet refuses food for several days without showing anxiety and staying in a good mood, there is no reason to panic.
Medical assistance is required for an animal in cases where the disappearance of appetite is accompanied by the following manifestations:
- vomiting and diarrhea;
- refusal to drink;
- lethargy and decreased motor activity;
- fearfulness and anxiety.
In addition, you will need to consult a specialist in a situation where the dog does not eat well after giving birth. It is likely that the refusal to eat is a consequence of any complications in the process of reproduction.
For your information. There are times when the disappearance of appetite is accompanied by vomiting in the morning with bile secretion. If there are no other signs of the disease, this is not a reason for panic, since such manifestations are associated with the fact that the dog has been hungry for a long time. A visit to the veterinarian in such a situation is for the most part a safety net.
The dog has no appetite: a sign of illness or a natural state
A perfectly healthy animal may refuse to eat for a short time, after which the appetite is restored.
Dogs can refuse food for a variety of reasons.
The reasons for this behavior can be the following factors:
- Hot weather. When the thermometer rises above 30 degrees, the desire to eat disappears not only in animals, but also in humans.
- Reception of vitamin and mineral complexes. Due to these funds, the animal’s body is saturated with the necessary microelements, which can significantly reduce appetite.
- The period of sexual activity. Poor appetite in a dog during estrus is a common occurrence; various hormonal processes occur in the animal’s body, due to which the need for food may decrease. In addition, when in heat, the pet is more concerned with the satisfaction of natural desires and procreation than with gastronomic pleasures.
- Teething in puppies. Since this process is often accompanied by poor health, small pets may avoid eating for a while.
- Breed predisposition. Large breed dogs are much more likely to practice “curative fasting” than small individuals. As a rule, the animal eats poorly for several days or completely refuses food, after which the appetite returns to normal.
Dogs often refuse to eat on hot days or during estrus.
On a note. These situations do not require any action to force the dog to eat. Typically, appetite is restored almost immediately after estrus, teething, or heat abatement.
How to increase the appetite of a healthy dog
If the pet has lost appetite against the background of full health, the owner needs to think about how to improve it.
The following measures can be taken:
- Feed your dog regularly at the same time.
- If the animal eats only part of the food, hide the bowl until the next feed.
- Refuse “snacks” and do not give your pet any treats between meals.
- Do not overfeed the animal, but put on its bowl as much food as is required for a single meal.
- Provoke the pet’s motor activity, play more with it and be outdoors more often.
What Do You Do When A Puppy | Dog Gets Stuck | Twisted In Mother Stomach During Birth. BholaShola
In the video, the veterinarian tells what to do if the dog refuses to eat.