The main symptoms
Discharge such as purulent is always striking, so they are immediately noticeable. There are three stages in the development of the disease.
The first manifestations are noticeable on the eyeball, it turns red and becomes inflamed, and may swell. If you do not help the dog in a timely manner, the inflammation progresses and pus begins to appear. The hair around the eye gets wet and sticks together. The animal begins to behave restlessly, when the coat dries up, then everything around the eye area is covered with a crust.
At the second stage, the discharge already becomes purulent. Such signs indicate inflammation of the eye itself or in the pet’s body, so it is very important to establish the correct diagnosis and begin treatment of the dog.
The late stage is characterized by poor animal health. The dog’s eyes are difficult to open, it is hard for her to look at the light. The dog practically does not eat and has weakness. Pus begins to show through in different parts of the eyelids and goes beyond the eyelids. The dog needs a medical examination and if the time is delayed the animal may have vision problems in the future.
Why dogs can fester with eyes?
Most often, dog owners turn to their pets to veterinarians for help due to eye disease. Everything happens in stages, the eyes can:
- Turn sour;
Such problems can lead to serious consequences. It is very important to pay attention to this in time, find out why this is happening and provide timely assistance to the animal. There are several reasons for this condition of the ocular mucosa:
- Eye contact with dust, dirt, foreign bodies;
- Allergic reaction;
- Systemic diseases;
- Anatomical features.
If purulent discharge appears in the eyes of the dog, then this is due to conjunctivitis of various origins.
Conjunctivitis in dogs
This condition is very common in dogs. It is manifested by inflammation of the membrane and the protruding inner surface of the eye. The disease can manifest itself in acute and chronic form, and it can also be symptomatic and independent. Conjunctivitis can be purulent and catarrhal.
If the animal has pus, then it has purulent conjunctivitis. With this disease, the discharge is yellow, and sometimes with a greenish tint. The animal constantly has a mucous membrane and it is red.
Suppuration in the eyes should always alert animal owners, since they may be associated with plague or helminthic invasions. The dog’s body reacts to the presence of parasites in the body in the form of an allergic reaction. Purulent discharge also causes viral and bactericidal infections.
When these secretions just begin to appear, it is necessary to respond in time at the right time to start treatment. Otherwise, the disease will become chronic and it will have to be treated for a long time.
When the disease is acute, pus accumulates in the corners of the eyes, after which crusts form. The animal does not feel well, the temperature may rise. The dog in such cases squints its eyes and tries to avoid bright lighting. This condition lasts for several days and if nothing is done, the disease becomes chronic. Then follicular conjunctivitis begins, the disease can last for years. In an animal, the follicles on the inner surface of the third eyelid become inflamed and the eyes fester constantly. If your dog’s eyes fester, what to do and what help to give your pet?
If a dog’s eyes fester: how to treat at home?
In every family where pets live, great attention is paid to their appearance. For example, a cat or dog should have a beautiful coat and a clear and devoted look. It often happens that the eyes begin to look somehow painful, they often watery. In advanced cases, purulent discharge appears. What to do in such a situation and how to help your pet at home?
Help and treatment
It is best to consult a specialist in case of pet illness. They will be able to identify the possible presence of infection. The veterinarian will identify the cause of the dog’s illness and, if there is no big threat, will prescribe the best treatment option.
You can also help your pitoma yourself. Experts advise to rinse the eyes and for this it is best to use freshly brewed tea at room temperature. It is also good to use decoctions of herbs for washing. chamomile or calendula.
The inner eyelid of a dog with such a disease is severely inflamed, so washing should be done carefully. Such procedures will be unpleasant to the dog. First you need to moisten a cotton pad in herbal decoction or in tea, after which they should be applied to the dog’s eyes and hold for a couple of minutes. This must be done so that the crusts on the eyelids can soak and then remove them.
After the solidified mass has been removed, you need to moisten clean cotton pads again in broth or tea and rub the dog’s eyelids in the direction from the eye to the nose. So, you need to do it several times, but without pressure on the eyeball. When will the eyes become clear? They can be instilled using one of two means:
- Levomycetin drops;
The animal generally responds well to the procedure. The dog understands that the owner is trying to help him, to alleviate the condition. Instead of drops, you can use eye ointments with a local antibiotic effect.
After the first procedure, an improvement in the condition of the mucous membranes of the eyes will be noticeable. Do not think that everything has passed and the dog is healthy. The procedures must be continued further. Despite the positive result, it is advisable to visit a veterinarian and show the animal to a specialist. At an early stage of the disease, it will be easier and faster to cure a pet. If the disease becomes neglected, then the treatment will take a long time.
All of the above symptoms can indicate the progression of an eye disease, an inflammatory process. Having noticed at least one of them, you need to seek help from a specialist. The doctor will examine the pet, appoint appropriate examinations, according to the results of which, he will establish the true cause of the discharge. Based on these manipulations, treatment will be prescribed.
The veterinarian will examine the dog and prescribe treatment.
In such cases, the owners of the dog must carefully follow the instructions for the prescribed drugs and follow all the doctor’s recommendations. If you do not pay due attention to the symptoms that appear in time, the disease will begin to progress rapidly, which can lead to the development of dangerous pathologies, up to the complete loss of the pet’s vision.
How to know when to see a doctor
Purulent discharge from the eyes is a sign of a serious illness.
So, if a symptom arose as a result of mechanical damage, conventional rinsing products that are used at home will help. The following signs will help to distinguish the action of external factors that cause tearing from a serious illness, which is indicated:
- Profuse purulent discharge of a brownish, yellowish or green hue;
- Severe redness;
- External signs of severe irritation, itching;
- Visual impairment. may manifest as frequent blinking, squinting eyelids.
Necessary medicines and medications
For the prevention of the disease, you can use pharmacy chamomile.
Every responsible dog owner should always have a first aid kit on hand, which contains vitamins and essential drugs. If we are talking about medicines for the eyes, then the basic set should include the following medicines.
Treating dog eyes at home
To examine a small dog, he is seated on a chair.
If it is not possible to visit a veterinary clinic in the near future, then the first thing a pet owner can do is to conduct a basic examination at home. If we are talking about large dogs, then they are seated on the floor, small ones. on a chair or table.
Why do dogs have watery eyes, we treat at home
A pet needs constant care. Especially when he feels bad or sick. So, for example, very often there are situations when dogs begin to watery eyes. There can be a lot of reasons that provoke abundant discharge. Of course, it is best to immediately go with your pet to a specialized veterinary clinic, where the doctor will conduct an examination and prescribe an examination, if necessary. But situations are different, so it is not always possible to immediately go to see a doctor. In such cases, you can determine the cause of the discharge from the eyes and try to provide first aid at home.
Why do dogs have watery eyes
The eyes of the dog are watery due to the inflammatory process.
In addition, in many dogs, the eyes begin to tear as a result of getting into them a lot of dirt or dust. This symptom also indicates an infectious or systemic disease, allergy.
In any case, these conditions are extremely dangerous for a pet, so it is important to pay attention to them in time and eliminate them.
Sometimes such phenomena are caused by age-related changes. So, in particular, in most breeds with age, conjunctivitis occurs much more often, a chronic form of the disease develops. Caused by a lack of tear fluid.
- They open their eyes with one hand. This should be done carefully and in no case should you press hard on the eyeball. On close examination, you can notice redness, the nature of the discharge (pus, tears), and also notice the presence or absence of foreign objects.
- To carry out the inspection as quickly and accurately as possible, you can bandage the dog’s mouth with braid. A muzzle in such cases can interfere, so it will be superfluous.
- If dust or a foreign body gets in your dog’s eyes, flush the organ. For these purposes, silver water is perfect, which can be easily and quickly prepared at home. An object made of pure silver is placed in purified water and left there for 24 hours. When the water is ready, they wash the eyes of the pet with light movements towards the nose. It is convenient to do this with a cotton swab or cotton pad.
You need to rinse your dog’s eyes if dust gets in them.
This procedure lasts for five days. If after this period there is no improvement and the discharge continues, you should contact a specialist. Perhaps the reason lies not only in external factors and the discharge is provoked by systemic diseases.
Features of the structure of the body in a dog
Spitz breed at risk!
For example, poodles, toy terriers, schnauzers, spitz are prone to frequent and sometimes abundant discharge. As a rule, discharge is associated with the fact that in such dogs the coat or eyelashes grow incorrectly. These factors more often than usual lead to the development of inflammatory processes. Therefore, constant grooming is important for such dogs. owners should regularly trim their hair near the eyes.
Poodles are more likely than other dogs to get sick.
Owners should also pay more attention to their pet’s diet, because in many cases, the main causes of tear discharge are considered to be the excessive consumption of sweets, fatty and fried foods. It must be excluded.
Every pet owner should understand that a pet needs constant care and attention. It is necessary to carefully monitor his hygiene, nutrition, regularly visit the veterinarian. Such precautions prevent the development of many diseases and pathologies.
To avoid loss of vision, you need to see a specialist in time.
Usually, a sudden discharge from the eyes indicates a foreign body has entered. An allergic reaction or the effects of ordinary dust (especially in the summer season). At the same time, if it is possible to take the dog to an appointment with a specialist, it is necessary to do it as soon as possible. The doctor will conduct a thorough examination, according to the results of which he will establish the real causes of the discharge and prescribe an effective treatment.
If the lesion of the eyeball is caused by an injury or a systemic disease, it is necessary to bring the pet to a specialist as soon as possible in order to avoid negative consequences in the future. loss of vision, chronic inflammation, severe pain, etc.
Why does a dog have eyes?
Dogs often have “flowing” eyes. In some breeds (pug, French Bulldog, Pekingese, Spitz, Poodle, Toy Terrier and others), this is almost a breed characteristic.
Discharge from the eyes can be white and thick, green, and occasionally brown. There can be quite a few reasons for this.
Reasons why dogs have watery eyes
- The most common cause is the ingress of a foreign body into the eye: grass, wool, dust.
- There may be too many sweets in the dog’s diet, for example, the baby is pampered with a treat in the form of cookies or gingerbread. In fact, animals do not need sweets at all, and some (chocolate) are even dangerous to health.
- The dog may react with tears if any aerosol is sprayed near it: air freshener, deodorant.
- There are also diseases, among the symptoms of which there is lacrimation: twisting of the eyelids, blockage of the tear duct, inflammation of the lacrimal sac, conjunctivitis in dogs
- Also, with distemper in dogs, on the third day of the development of the disease, abundant purulent green discharge appears from the eyes.
- The reason is also not properly growing eyelashes, which irritate the eyes, as is often the case in certain breeds: Schnauzers, Spitz, Poodles, Yorkshire Terriers, Toy Terriers and Shih Tsu.
Treatment of lacrimation
It is necessary to pay attention to such seemingly trifle as watery eyes in a dog, otherwise a neglected disease can lead to serious problems, including corneal opacity, or even complete blindness.
If so far the dog has tears. this is the only symptom, and the rest of the animal behaves as usual, first you need to remember its diet: is there any sweets in it, as well as new unusual products. If there is, you need to stop giving it all. A dog’s first aid kit should always contain eye drops “Diamond Eyes“.
They are effective not only for prevention purposes, but also for symptoms of eye inflammation. They eliminate itching, have a mild antimicrobial effect, relieve soreness and reduce eye swelling and lacrimation. It is also an ideal first aid tool for foreign bodies or minor injuries in a dog.
The same drops can be used to wash your eyes after trimming and haircuts, after walking in the fields and hunting. If only after a night’s sleep a little white secretion accumulates in the corners of the dog’s eyes, they can simply be removed with a clean cotton swab (separately for each eye) by moving to the dog’s nose. Noticing that a very small foreign object or aerosol has got into the lower eyelid, the eye should be rinsed abundantly with warm boiled water.
If your dog has a tear constantly flowing and the fur is always wet under the eye, you can make silver water. A silver object is placed in a glass with spring water for a day. With this water, using separate cotton wool, you need to rinse your eyes for 3-5 days.
If the tears have not stopped flowing, you need to see a doctor. Also, you cannot do without the help of a specialist if, in addition to lacrimation or discharge from the eyes, the dog has other symptoms:
- The animal is oppressed,
- Refuses to eat,
- Tries to rub his eyes with his paws,
- Nasal discharge.
Why dogs can leak eyes
There are plenty of reasons why a dog’s eyes are flowing, we list some of them:
- Eye diseases. when a dog has an eye or both eyes flow, first of all, the development of an eye ailment is suspected:
- Conjunctivitis. inflammation of the mucous membrane of the eye caused by trauma, foreign objects, pathogenic microorganisms. Signs of conjunctivitis. swelling, pain and itching in the eye area, the flow of transparent mucus (in situations where conjunctivitis of an infectious nature also pus flows), the fur under the eyes is constantly wet, and the animal itself is irritated;
Keratitis Is an inflammation of the ocular cornea, which occurs, in fact, for the same reasons as conjunctivitis (infection, damage, etc.). Signs of keratitis. constant release of initially transparent, and then purulent exudate, opacity and tuberosity of the cornea, photophobia (every now and then the dog squints its eyes);
Entropion. A curl or misalignment of the eyelid, when its edge with eyelashes touches the eyeball, which leads to irritation and a constant flow of tears. It is usually caused by various ocular inflammatory processes (the same conjunctivitis, for example), hereditary predisposition (entropion is often found in spaniels, St. Bernards and some mastiffs, dogs), enophthalmos or microphthalmos. Symptoms of entropion are an incessant outflow of mucus and pus (under the eyes of the dog is constantly wet), redness of the eyes, hair loss under the eyes, frequent blinking, the formation of ulcers on the cornea;
Dermatitis of the century. inflammation of the skin around the eyes, resulting from dust getting into the eyes, the activity of external bloodsuckers, due to the use of inappropriate cosmetics, infection. Signs of eyelid dermatitis. very strong lacrimation (at speed, instead of transparent tears, pus flows), sticking eyes after sleep with a yellow-green crust, redness of the eyelid skin, the appearance of an unpleasant odor from the eyes of the dog;
Infectious diseases. if pus flows from the dog’s eye (usually both eyes are affected), it means that the matter may be in the introduction of viruses, fungi or bacteria into the body. So, pathological discharge can be present, for example, with distemper, rabies, aspergillosis, actinomycosis, leptospirosis and other ailments;
Mechanical injury. eye damage in a fight, scratches of the eyeball when colliding with branches or the ingress of stones can lead not only to active tearing (usually from one eye), but also to the fact that external bleeding will open (blood will also run from one eye). Other symptoms of this kind of injury are photophobia, squinting of a swollen eyelid;
Chemical trauma. if an alkali or acid gets into the dog’s eyes, then the reddened eyes will also leak and hurt, the cornea will become inflamed, the dog will squint in the light and even bump into pieces of furniture due to decreased vision;
The presence of worms in the body. very often sour eyes in a dog due to helminthiasis. In addition to eye problems, other signs indicating that there are uninvited guests-worms in the body are constipation or diarrhea (feces can be slimy or bloody, sometimes with parasite particles), vomiting, apathy, an increase in the volume of the abdomen against the background of general weight loss, pallor of the mucous membranes. deterioration of the coat. Even a domestic dog that only occasionally leaves the apartment can become infected with helminthiasis, since the eggs of the worms can be contained in the soil (sometimes the owners themselves bring parasites into the house on the soles of their shoes), in puddles, they can be transmitted through flea and tick bites;
Why does a dog have eyes
- Dog health, illness and treatment
- 22-07-2018, 13:37
Sometimes the health of a pet can be judged by the eyes: redness of the conjunctiva, swelling, mucous or purulent exudate are all alarming signs. In today’s article, we will find out the reasons why dogs have leaky eyes.
When increased tear production in dogs is normal
To begin with, let’s agree that if the dog has tears from his eyes in moderation, for example, when yawning, after sleeping, being in the cold or in the wind, then there is nothing to worry about. In addition, the eyes are almost always watery in brachycephalic dogs (pugs, boxers, etc.) and often in dogs with an abundance of folds on the muzzle (Neapolitan mastiffs, Shar Pei, etc.), as well as in animals with long hair falling over the eyes ( poodles, shih tzu, levhenes, etc.). But the constant release of watery, and even more purulent or bloody exudate should alert, because these are clear signs of some kind of disease.
What to do if a dog’s eyes are flowing
So, the dog’s eyes began to water and itch for no apparent reason at first glance. What should the owner do in such a situation? By far the best solution is to show your pet to a veterinarian (ideally a veterinary ophthalmologist) as soon as possible. However, you can start providing first aid yourself:
- First, a sterile bandage is cut into small strips, they will be needed to cleanse the eyes. It is better not to use cotton wool, as it can easily get into the already inflamed eye of the animal;
Then you need to brew an anti-inflammatory herbal decoction (chamomile, St. John’s wort). The broth must be drained and cooled. You can also treat your pet’s eyes with a special hygienic composition (“Api-San Rosinka”, “Veda Green Tea” or “Veda Calendula”, etc.), as well as with ordinary strained tea leaves. Gently rub both eyes with a bandage dipped in an antiseptic (even if only one is flowing). It is important to take into account that individual pieces of bandage are taken for the right and left eyes. A similar procedure is performed at least 3-5 times a day, or more often if necessary;
It is possible to relieve inflammation and increased tearing with the help of veterinary eye drops (Tsiprovet, IRIS, Dekta. 2). Such funds are used up to 3-4 times a day for 5 days. It is important that before instillation, the eyes are clear of secretions or dried crusts;
If veterinary drugs for the eyes are not at hand, you can use the usual “Levomycetin”. Such drops are instilled 4-6 times a day;
Quite good soothes inflammation and stops the release of tears or pus ointment “Tetracycline”. It is placed behind the lower eyelid of the eye, then the eyelid is covered and gently massaged to distribute the product. Use such a drug 3-5 times a day for at least 3 days;
Perhaps all of the above measures are everything that can be done at home. If, after several days of treatment, the condition of the dog’s eyes does not improve, pus or bloody discharge is constantly flowing, the animal suffers from unbearable itching and pain, it is worth visiting the veterinary clinic. Unfortunately, the eyes of a dog often leak for quite serious reasons, when only surgical intervention and taking serious veterinary medications can help, as, for example, happens with a twisted eyelid or keratitis.
What to do if it’s a viral infection?
Other therapeutic measures are prescribed based on the individual condition of the animal.
Conjunctivitis and rhinitis
Inflammation in the eyes can also pass from nearby tissues, and it is especially worth noting that conjunctivitis always accompanies rhinitis.
A cat has watery eyes: what to do and how to treat at home
Discharge from the eyes in cats is quite common. There can be many reasons. from fairly simple to serious; both non-infectious and infectious etiology. This discharge can be of different colors. both transparent and purulent. In any case, discharge from the eyes is a reason to go to a veterinary clinic for the correct diagnosis. Self-medication can incorrectly determine the cause and harm the cat’s health, up to loss of vision and even the need to remove the eyeball.
Breed anatomical predisposition
In the case of a breed anatomical predisposition or age-related changes, hygienic treatments are prescribed with cotton pads moistened with warm water. And if the reason is in the twist of the eyelids, surgery is necessary, after which further treatment is prescribed.
Cat eyes watery: causes of discharge
If your cat has watery eyes, you may need the help of a veterinarian.
Viral diseases are found in cats even if they are purebred, never left the apartment, etc. The disease could be transmitted in the nursery, on the way from the nursery, and finally through the owner. Very often, the disease does not make itself felt for a long time, and then suddenly appears after some “push”. it can be stress, hypothermia.
Many diseases in cats can appear after stress. In this case, the cat is said to have been infected latently.
In this case, they say that the animal had a latent infection, and cats, as you know, are very often carriers of infections.
If your cat starts to watery eyes after visiting the veterinary clinic or after surgery, this does not necessarily mean that the clinic should be blamed. Still, veterinarians use different methods of processing instruments and premises (sterilization and quartzing) in order to avoid infection.
This does not mean that you do not need to visit a veterinarian or do surgery, it means that you need to closely monitor your pet’s well-being and do timely vaccinations that prevent infection and smooth out the course of the disease, if it does develop.
In some cases, lacrimation can be caused by bacterial conjunctivitis. It can occur as a result of injury to the eye or eyelids. Injury to the mucous membrane of the eye can be caused by the twisting of the eyelids. in this case, the cilia constantly irritate the eye, and lacrimation appears.
Kitten eye injury
Sometimes trauma can also affect the cornea, in which case additional diagnostics may be required. The veterinarian drips “paint” onto the eyeball and assesses the condition of the cornea.
“Rolling up” the eyelids
In this case, only hygienic treatments are indicated (for example, remove the discharge from the corners of the eyes with a cotton pad moistened with warm water as needed). Falling eyelids may also appear after the animal has lost weight (retrobulbar fat, which is located behind the eyeball, disappears, and the eye “sinks” deeper). If the animal gains weight again, this problem should go away by itself.
Very rarely, the discharge of tears from the eyes can be associated with allergies. Sometimes helminth toxins can cause eye inflammation and lacrimation, but with regular deworming at home, this is excluded.
How to help a cat when she is crying
The dog has watery eyes: what to do
Unlike humans, overwhelming emotions in dogs do not cause tears. It happens that a dog can soak the carpet a little because of the joy that the owner has come, yes. But she won’t cry.
If your dog has watery eyes, this is a serious reason to go to the veterinarian, because increased tear production can be a sign of illness. And even if a blade of grass gets into the eye, and you took it out, it is still better to go to the clinic. We will tell you why dogs have watery eyes and what to do if it happens to your dog.
One eye tears
If your dog has only one eye that is watery, the cause is usually mechanical: a foreign object, trauma, or inflammation.
- Something got into my eye. This often happens after walking the dog in the field or driving. Therefore, never, never allow your dog to lean out of the car window at speed. It looks beautiful, but dangerous for the dog. dust and sand will immediately fly into his eyes. Long-haired breeds often have their own hair in the eye. For example, Yorkshire Terriers are at constant risk. These breeds should have their hair trimmed frequently around the eyes.
- Twisted eyelids or trauma. In some breeds, such as Shar-Pei, the eyelid can curl up. Then the dog’s own eyelashes begin to irritate the dog’s eye. Often in such cases, the help of a surgeon is required.
- Inflammation. Parasites or a virus can cause conjunctivitis, which can also cause tearing.
In all these cases, both eyes may water. For example, if they get dust or tobacco smoke. In general, smoke and aerosols are best avoided, do not smoke or use hairspray near the dog.
Both eyes are tearing
If a dog has tears flowing from both eyes, the reason is most likely physiological.
- Allergy. Not an easy case, because the source is rather difficult to determine. May be seasonal, as in humans, such as pollen, smoke, food, shampoo, or allergy remedies. The best way to deal with allergies is with your veterinarian.
- Infection. Profuse watering from both eyes can be a sign of illness. Don’t be in a hurry to get scared, because tears by themselves don’t tell you anything. If, in addition to this, the dog has lost appetite, it is sluggish and weak and does not want to walk, it’s time to go to the vet.
- Outflow disturbance. It happens that the amount of tears is normal, but due to the violation of the outflow, it looks like inflammation.
Lachrymation is a rather serious problem, and it is better to understand its causes. For example, in clinics we perform the Schirmer test. This is an affordable and painless way to find out how things are with tear production. The test helps to understand whether the dog has a lot of tears, or vice versa, or the reason is something else. By the way, a lack of tears (keratoconjunctivitis dry in dogs) is a very common and characteristic problem for dogs. It is manifested in particular by the formation of “sour”, abundant yellow-green discharge. Schirmer’s test can be performed in each of our clinics.
What to do if your dog has watery eyes
First, don’t panic. Tears by themselves do not indicate a serious illness. Most often, something got into the eye, and this is where you can help. This something needs to be removed from the eye:
- Wash your hands
- Pull back the dog’s eyelid and remove the foreign object with the edge of a damp cloth
- Rinse your eye with eye lotion, available from veterinary pharmacies.
- Go to the vet
Yes, you must go to the vet, even if you removed the item. The problem is that often the transparent cornea is injured when a foreign body enters. Visually, if the injury is not very deep, it is impossible to determine the severity. You will need a fluorescein test. This is a cheap, quick and painless test: a special staining solution is applied to the dog’s eye, and it reveals damage that is invisible without staining. If time is missed, a minor problem can lead to infection and damage to the point of blindness.
Causes of watery eyes in dogs
Tears play a very important role. they cleanse the eyes, protect against the penetration of foreign objects, dust, pathogenic microflora. The lacrimal fluid has antibacterial properties, washing away any excess. But nevertheless, an increase in tearing cannot be called the norm, this condition occurs due to the following reasons:
- Increased tear volume. Thus, the body tries to rid the eyes of foreign bodies that have penetrated inside, for example, hairs. If the puppy’s tears are transparent, without any impurities, then this may be a sign of an allergic reaction or the ingress of an eyelash.
- Deformation or change in the condition of the lacrimal canal. This can happen for various reasons. due to eye injury, congenital pathology of the canal, or due to the ingress of an infectious agent. Often there is a clogging of the lacrimal canal or inflammation. This provokes the release of a large amount of tear fluid, which can be cloudy, have a yellowish-greenish tint, and the eyes themselves turn red.
- If pus is found in the lacrimal fluid, it acquires an unhealthy yellow or green color, then the dog is most likely developing an eye infection. In such a situation, you should not act on your own, it is better to consult a veterinarian to find out what caused the inflammatory process.
What diseases are accompanied by lacrimation
Eye infections can cause irreversible consequences. the dog can go blind or lose direct vision, so it is necessary to start therapy immediately. Most often, the following ailments are accompanied by profuse discharge of tears:
- Conjunctivitis. It can be caused by an allergic reaction to food or a natural product, household chemicals, eye injury, as well as deformation of the pet’s lacrimal canal. The disease is accompanied by a course of mucous discharge from the eyes, yellow-green pus. The whites of the eyes turn red in the dog, the animal begins to blink frequently, squint or completely close its eyes.
- Inflamed Gardner’s gland (third eyelid). Animals like cats and dogs have a third eyelid that protects the cornea from external threats. On examination, this condition is quite easily detected. If a focus of inflammation has formed in the third century, then it swells, turns red, there is an accumulation of yellow mucus around it.
- Injury. Most dogs are naturally curious and stick their faces where they shouldn’t. In this case, it is very easy to get an eye injury from an angry cat, scratch on a wire or other unsafe objects. Damage can affect both the eye and the eyelid or the area around the eyeball. Injuries in most cases lead to the development of inflammation.
When veterinarian assistance is not required
Often, tears in a dog flow due to certain conditions, and the situation does not require seeking professional help. This can happen in the following cases:
- When a small irritant gets into the eye. grains of sand, hair, etc. The structure of a dog’s eye is not much different from that of a human, so this happens quite often.
- Another reason for strong watery eyes is dry indoor air. If it is not possible to increase the humidity, then it is necessary to bury the eyes of the pet with special moisturizing agents. “Artificial tear”, “Hypromellose”, “Dacrolux”, “Lacrisify”, etc. They have a lubricating and softening effect, protect the eyes instead of tear fluid.
If a dog has profuse lacrimation for a long time, it is still worth showing the pet to an experienced veterinarian, it may require treatment.
The dog’s eyes are watery. What to do
Tearing does not so rarely bother our four-legged friends. Sometimes this is just a reaction of the body to the ingress of specks or dust into the eyes. But increased lacrimation can be a symptom of the disease. There are breeds that are prone to eye diseases, and timely prevention is important for them. Why does a dog have watery eyes, and what to do with a pet in a similar state?
Drops for the treatment of eye diseases in dogs
Almost always, special preparations in the form of eye drops or ointments are prescribed for the treatment of animal eyes. Among the common tools, the most popular are:
- Tsiprovet. Eye drops with a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect. Effective against both gram-negative and gram-positive microorganisms. staphylococcus, chlamydia, mycoplasma. The active substance of Ciprovet destroys the DNA of pathogenic pathogens. It is prescribed for common eye diseases of dogs. conjunctivitis, blepharitis, ulcerative formations on the cornea, keratitis.
- Leopard. Eye drops that have an effect similar to Ciprovet. The active components of the remedy are chloramphenicol and furacilin, their properties make it possible to use drops for the treatment and prevention of the following ailments: conjunctivitis, keratoconjunctivitis, keratitis, blepharitis, as well as for treatment of eye injuries.
- Tsiprolet. The drug is in the form of eye drops, the main active ingredient is an aqueous solution of ciproflaxacin. It is effective against pathogens of streptococcal infection, chlamydia, listeriosis. Does not affect fungi, the causative agent of syphilis. treponema and bacteroids.
- Diamond eyes. Prophylactic drops, which include succinic acid, chlorhixidine, taurine. A similar drug is used for daily eye care of a pet, with its help you can remove dried formations in the corners of the eyes. It is used with an abundant flow of tears, an inflammatory process on the mucous membranes of the eyes, to prevent the development of conjunctivitis, with age-related changes in the conditions of the cornea, damage to the organ of vision, cataracts.
- Optimmun. The tool is available in the form of an eye ointment and drops, helps to restore the lacrimation process. It is effective for the elimination of “dry eye syndrome”, as well as for the treatment of keratouveitis, scleritis, keratitis. Cannot be used against diseases caused by fungi.
- Tobrex. A drug in the form of eye drops, which acts against various external infections that affect not only the eyes, but also the tissues around them, caused by pathogens sensitive to tobramycin.
Ways to eliminate tearing
It is not enough to purchase a suitable tool, you still need to know how to use it correctly:
- Wash your hands before using eye medications to keep out dirt and infections.
- Gently, using a cotton swab dipped in warm water, it is necessary to clean the fur around the eyes and in the eyelid area.
- In order for the drops to penetrate the eyes, it is better to take the pet’s head back and fix the position with one hand. Confident movements and a strong grip are required here, otherwise the dog may suddenly break free and be injured during burial.
- Ointments are placed, like a person, in a conjunctival sac. To do this, the eyelid is pulled a little, and the product is squeezed into the that turned out. For the drug to spread, the pet’s eyes should be closed briefly (three to four seconds will be enough).
- Any remedy for the treatment or prevention of eye diseases is used on both eyes, even if there is only one lesion.
Why tears flow in dogs. Prevention of eye diseases
There are a number of reasons why animals can often suffer from eye ailments:
- In many long-haired breeds, frequent, profuse lacrimation is associated with the ingress of cilia and hair into the eyes. To prevent this from happening, it is necessary to remove the hair from the eye area using an accessory. elastic bands, hairpins (the option is suitable for decorative breeds), or to cut the long hair on the head and slightly shorten the length of the eyelashes. If you do not have the skills to do it yourself, you can contact a specialist. groomer.
- A strong flow of tears due to improper diet or dietary changes can be eliminated by analyzing the pet’s menu and eliminating the foods that caused this condition. In any case. sweets, pastries, fatty and fried foods have no place in a dog’s diet.
- If tears are accompanied by more serious symptoms. the course of pus, refusal to eat, lethargy, etc., you should not experiment with drugs, but it is better to immediately go to the vet.
The dog should always be kept clean, when washing, care should be taken that detergents do not get into the eyes, and even more so if these are shampoos for fleas, ticks and other parasites.
It should be noted that in representatives of dwarf decorative breeds (Yorkshire terriers, dwarf poodles, toy terriers, etc.), a small release of tears is normal. But only if the tears are transparent and do not flow in streams. As soon as they were colored, they began to flow profusely along the coat. which means that it is necessary to go to the veterinary clinic.
When to contact a specialist
The dog’s eyes are watery. What if the flushes don’t work? In some cases, you cannot do without a visit to a specialist. Only professional help from a veterinarian will help avoid serious problems and complications.
See your veterinarian if:
These symptoms indicate that lacrimation is caused not by the effect of an irritant (dust, smoke, wind, etc.), but by the onset of the disease. Similar pathological phenomena can be caused by conjunctivitis, dystrichiasis, plague. Only a veterinarian, after examining the animal, will be able to find out the exact cause of lacrimation and prescribe effective treatment.
Follow your veterinarian’s recommendations, dosage, and treatment time carefully. If you do not pay attention to the first symptoms of the disease in time and start its course, then the treatment will be more complicated and prolonged, and the pet’s vision may be permanently damaged.
The dog’s eyes are watery. Dog eye care
Many dog breeders are faced with an unpleasant problem. the dog has watery eyes. What to do in this case, when you need to go to the veterinarian and what are the reasons for this phenomenon? Let’s try to figure it out.
Puppy Eye Care
The health of dog eyes should be monitored from early childhood. The puppy’s eyes should be shiny, without discharge. If so, then nothing needs to be done, try not to reach the organs of vision with your hands. In the old literature, you can find a recommendation to do washing with a weak solution of boric acid. Modern veterinarians believe that it makes no sense to perform such manipulations with a healthy dog.
There is no need to rush to treatment if the puppy has small white droplets in the corners of the eyes after a night’s sleep. Remove them carefully with a clean cotton swab. Use a separate piece of cotton wool for each eye, moving towards the nose. If the white secret appears in small quantities and only after a long sleep. do not worry.
When examining the eyes, you do not need to touch them with dirty hands, this rule also applies to the care of adult dogs.
Why does a dog have watery eyes? For some, problems with watery eyes are especially common. This is due to breed characteristics, the structure of the skull and eyes. Undeveloped, narrow, curved tear ducts appear in brachycephalics due to a flat muzzle, in Toy and Spitz due to a small round head, in extremely small breeds due to size.
The large expressive eyes of the French Bulldog, Pekingese, Chin, Chihuahua are susceptible to injuries, dust and debris often fall into them. Dirt builds up in dogs with loose, drooping eyelids, leading to frequent inflammation.
If a dog’s eyes are flowing from puppyhood, then it is worth asking if this is an anatomical feature. Such a dog will need special care. several times a day you need to remove tears with a gauze swab dipped in a special lotion.
To remove the problem with profuse lacrimation associated with anatomical features, you can only surgically. to expand and clean the lacrimal canals, correct the shape of the eyelids.
Self-treatment of eyes in dogs
Consider issues that a dog owner can handle on their own. If a foreign object gets into the eye, you need to rinse it abundantly with lukewarm boiled water. The same can be done if hairspray, spray and other safe chemical reagents get into the organ of vision.
If the dog has watery eyes, profuse lacrimation, the hair under the eyes gets wet, you can try to cope with the problem on your own. To do this, gently wipe your eyes with separate cotton swabs towards your nose. For this purpose, you can use both special means and solutions of furacilin, boric acid, chlorhexidine, potassium permanganate, chamomile decoction.
If your dog’s eyes are flowing and home remedies do not help within 3-5 days, you need to seek help from a veterinarian.
The reasons why a dog’s eyes are watery
Why does a dog have watery eyes? This problem may be behind:
Pay attention to the last 3 points. Medical intervention required.
Eye damage is not uncommon for active dogs. A penetrating injury can result from a fight with another dog or cat, the dog can stumble on a protruding branch or cut itself on the grass. Such damage may be invisible at first. a small dent remains on the eyeball. Then the eye begins to become inflamed, cloudy, swollen. The dog cannot open it, there is lacrimation, suppuration. This situation is very dangerous!
You cannot help the dog on your own, you need immediate advice from a veterinarian. Ophthalmologist or general practitioner. What should you do before visiting the vet? The most basic thing. Don’t let your dog scratch his eyes. In order to reduce pain, drip a solution of novocaine (2%). If it is not possible to contact a veterinarian immediately, then drip the eye with antibiotic drops. The listed measures are not a cure! In case of eye injury, you need to contact the veterinarian as soon as possible (within 24 hours) and follow all his instructions, otherwise the animal will lose sight.
Tears flow but not
Does the dog have watery eyes? There are many diseases that cause eye discharge. The discharge may not always be transparent, resembling tears. If your dog has watery eyes and the discharge is thick, white, green, brown, blinds the eyelids after a night’s sleep, contact your veterinarian immediately! This indicates a serious infectious disease of various nature. In this case, it is better to contact a specialist who can establish an accurate diagnosis and prescribe the correct treatment.
After reading this article, you will be able to determine why your dog has watery eyes, what needs to be done, and if you need to see a doctor. It is important to understand that problems with the organs of vision cannot be started, prolonged inactivity or self-medication without consulting a specialist can lead to serious problems and even complete loss of vision.