How to treat a throat during pregnancy?
Colds during pregnancy should also be treated only by a specialist, since self-medication can harm not only the woman, but also the fetus. First of all, the doctor will consider remedies made from natural ingredients or homeopathy as a treatment, since chemistry can be dangerous.
Treatment for a common cold that has caused loss of voice in pregnant women may be as follows:
- inhalation with lavender, cedar or cedar essential oils;
- inhalation of steam of potatoes, decoction of pine cones or garlic;
- gargling with a solution of Chlorophyllipt, Furacilin or Miramistin;
- expectorant drugs: licorice root, Doctor Mom, Sinupret and others;
- for a bacterial upper respiratory tract infection, the doctor may consider using antibiotics.
Also, a woman must necessarily adhere to the above rules, which are necessary for the quick restoration of her voice.
The voice disappeared from a cold: how to treat?
Most often, the voice disappears with a cold, namely, laryngitis.
Laryngitis is an inflammation of the larynx that can be bacterial, viral, or fungal in nature. With laryngitis, the voice may disappear partially or completely.
Patients with colds, including laryngitis, may experience the following symptoms of the disease:
- sore throat, especially when swallowing;
- hoarseness, hoarseness, or complete loss of voice;
- dry cough;
- redness of the throat;
- an increase in body temperature to sufficiently high numbers;
- general weakness and others.
Patients who have lost their voice due to a cold, in addition to drug treatment, must follow some rules, namely:
- give your vocal cords a rest. To do this, you just need to be silent for a few days;
- if you have a fever, you should lie down. But if the body temperature is within the normal range, then it will be enough to limit physical activity;
- drink plenty of warm liquid. Preference should be given to sweet tea, juice, compote or fruit drink, and it is better to exclude sour drinks. Warm milk with honey before bedtime will help restore your voice;
- food should be fractional, that is, in small portions 5-6 times a day. Dishes need to be steamed, stewed or boiled. It is strongly not recommended to eat spicy, spicy or fried foods, as they will irritate an already sore throat;
- carry out wet cleaning and airing twice a day in the room where the patient is;
- it is strictly forbidden to smoke during illness;
- the throat should be wrapped in a woolen scarf.
Lost voice and sore throat: how to treat with inhalations?
Voice loss inhalation is highly effective in both adults and children. The most effective decoctions that are used for inhalation are chamomile, eucalyptus, St. John’s wort, linden and thyme.
To prepare the broth, you need to take three tablespoons of one of the listed plants, pour three glasses of boiling water and boil over low heat for 20 minutes. The finished broth must be cooled to a temperature of 45 degrees Celsius and poured into the inhaler. If there is none, then you can simply breathe over the pan, covered with a towel. Inhalation is carried out for 10-15 minutes twice a day. in the morning and in the evening.
Also, inhalations with herbal decoctions can be combined with inhalations of essential oils, for example, lavender, basil or cedar. To do this, three glasses of water must be heated to 50 degrees Celsius and 5-6 drops of oil must be dripped into it. You can breathe directly over the pot or pouring water into the inhaler.
Another simple recipe for inhalation is inhalation over potato steam. To do this, wash the potatoes thoroughly and boil them in the skins until tender, then remove from heat and add one tablespoon of baking soda. When the potatoes have cooled slightly, cover with a towel and breathe over the steam.
Inhalation quickly and effectively softens the mucous membrane of the throat, including the vocal cords, eliminates pain and inflammation.
Lost voice: how to treat at home?
Laryngitis and tonsillitis can be treated at home under the supervision of the attending doctor. But you need to understand that folk remedies and methods are not effective enough to cope with colds and aphonia on their own, therefore they can be used exclusively as additional therapy, if the attending physician allows.
To your attention the most popular and effective folk remedies for voice loss.
- Milk from Borjomi. If your throat hurts, and then your voice becomes hoarse or disappeared, then you can use milk and Borjomi, which are combined in a 1: 1 ratio. A glass of the resulting solution will also need one teaspoon of lime honey and butter. This medicine is taken twice a day.
- Egg and butter. Grind two yolks with one teaspoon of sugar to form a white foam, and add one teaspoon of butter. Consume the resulting mixture one teaspoon between meals.
- Onions and white raisins. Dilute one tablespoon of onion juice with one glass of water, add two tablespoons of white raisins and put on fire. When the broth boils, reduce the heat and cook for another 20 minutes. The medicine is taken one tablespoon four times a day.
- Milk and carrots. Peel one medium carrot and finely grate. Pour two cups of milk into a saucepan and add grated carrots to it, then bring to a boil and cook until the vegetable is cooked. Strain the finished broth through a fine sieve and take warm throughout the day.
- Cognac, lemon and honey. ¼ glasses of quality cognac need to be slightly warmed up, then mixed with five drops of lemon juice and two teaspoons of honey. Such a medicine is drunk in small sips, as if savoring, before bedtime.
The child lost his voice: how to treat?
If the child has hoarseness or loss of voice, but there are no other symptoms, then you can try to cope with the problem yourself. After all, the voice could disappear or grow hoarse from a prolonged cry or cry.
But if the loss of voice is accompanied by severe cough, fever, shortness of breath or lethargy, then you need to urgently seek help from a specialist.
The child needs to be provided with the same rules that we talked about earlier, that is, rest, diet, abundant warm drinks, etc.
As for drug treatment, drugs should be prescribed exclusively by a doctor.
Treatment principles for colds, hoarseness and loss of voice:
- gargling. If the child understands how to gargle, then for this you can use a solution of Furacilin, Chlorophyllipt, Miramistin;
- local antiseptics. The child can be given to dissolve tablets that contain antiseptics, for example, Lisobakt, Decatilen, Septefril, Faringosept;
- expectorant drugs. With a dry cough, such drugs are shown that thin sputum, such as Doctor Mom, Bronholitin, Ambroxol. Mucolytics should not be given to children under two years old, since they still do not know how to cough up phlegm;
- antihistamines. Antiallergic medications will help eliminate swelling of the laryngeal mucosa and return the child’s voice. The drugs of choice in this case can be Eden, L-cet, Suprastin;
- antibiotics. Drugs in this group are used if the high temperature lasts for three days or there are signs of bacterial inflammation. Children can be prescribed Flemoxin, Azithromycin, Ceftriaxone and other antibiotics allowed in childhood. Necessarily antibiotic therapy is covered with probiotics (Lactomum, Bifi forms, Lactovit, Prema and others);
- vitamin therapy. Vitamins help to strengthen the immune system and accelerate the recovery of the vocal cords. Children can be given Pikovit, Kinder Biovital, Alphabet and other vitamins;
- physiotherapy methods. The simplest physiotherapy method that can be done at home is inhalation, which we have already talked about.
In the treatment of colds and laryngitis, the following groups of drugs can be used:
- expectorant drugs: Ambroxol, Bromhexine, ivy syrup and others. With the help of these drugs, the cough will become moist, the congestion and irritation of the throat will decrease;
- lollipops with antiseptics: Decatilen, Strepsils, Septefril. The use of these drugs allows you to eliminate perspiration and sore throat;
- antiseptic oral sprays: Cameton, Orosept, Hexoral. With the help of these drugs, the inflammatory process in the throat is reduced, pathogenic microorganisms are destroyed and the swelling of the mucous membrane is stopped;
- solutions for rinsing the throat: Yoks, Furacilin solution, Dekasan;
- antibiotics: Augmentin, Fromilid, Ceftriaxone. The listed drugs are the drugs of choice in case of sore throat.
Why does my voice disappear??
If the voice has disappeared, then the reasons for this may be the following:
- inflammatory diseases of the throat and vocal cords caused by bacteria, viruses or fungi. Most often, laryngitis, an inflammation of the larynx, which also affects the vocal cords, leads to aphonia, as a result of which they swell and become inactive. Therefore, the process of forming sounds is disrupted. But even with severe throat congestion, when the ligaments are not affected by the inflammatory process, partial or complete loss of voice is possible;
- prolonged overstrain of the vocal cords. Most often, the voice disappears not in professional singers who give a concert, but in those whose vocal cords are not trained. For example, if you decide to sing loudly during a fun feast, then the risk of losing your voice is high enough;
- severe stress, anxiety or fear. A strong psycho-emotional shock can cause a missing voice. Only in this case, the aphonia will not arise due to damage to the ligaments. On a nervous basis, the voice can disappear both abruptly and gradually;
- neoplasms of the larynx and the vocal cords themselves. Tumors of a benign or malignant nature disrupt the contact of the vocal cords, as a result of which complete or partial aphonia develops;
- neoplasms or hypertrophy of the thyroid gland. An enlarged thyroid gland will squeeze the larynx, and, accordingly, the vocal cords, as a result of which the voice may disappear;
- unfavorable ecological situation of the area where the person lives. Air pollution with exhaust gases or smoke from industrial enterprises negatively affects the state of the speech apparatus. Constant irritation of the vocal cords with harmful substances that are present in the inhaled air can cause hoarseness or complete loss of voice;
- active and passive smoking. Tobacco smoke also constantly irritates the vocal cords, causing them to become coarse. Similar processes in the human speech apparatus can result in loss of voice.
Why the voice disappears: what to do and how to treat the disease?
Probably, many of us have met such a phenomenon as loss of voice, which is called aphonia in medicine. The causes of this condition can be both inflammatory diseases of the upper respiratory tract, and neoplasms of the trachea or vocal cords. Therefore, without consulting a specialist, persons whose voice has disappeared cannot be dispensed with.
In this topic, we will tell you in detail why the voice is lost, what to do and how to treat the diseases that led to this condition.
Causes of the disease
In veterinary medicine, it is customary to distinguish two classes of reasons due to which a dog’s voice disappears: mechanical and neurological. Let’s consider each of them in more detail.
Why the dog lost his voice and what to do while doing this
Barking for a pet plays the role of a means of communication, with which he warns the owner of the danger and expresses his emotions. The formation of sound occurs thanks to the vocal cords of the animal, which are in its pharynx. It is they who determine the timbre and volume of the dog’s barking. If the owner noticed that the dog’s voice has disappeared, then he should be seriously concerned, since such a condition is a symptom of serious pathologies occurring in the body of a four-legged friend. The article will discuss the reasons why the pet’s voice is lost, and recommendations will also be given to allow the owner to understand what to do in this case and how to treat a pet that suddenly fell silent.
Dysfunctions of the vocal apparatus of a mechanical nature occur due to factors such as:
- Throat injuries. May occur if the puppy decides to swallow a toy or too much solid food. Adults suffer laryngeal injuries from such cheap food as bones. If the bone has sharp edges, it can lead to severe penetrating trauma, which will provoke swelling of the glottis, depriving the dog of the ability to make sounds.
- Abscesses localized in the pharynx. Often found in those dogs that like to eat grass while walking. Sometimes, along with harmless stalks, thorns and plant seeds fall into the pet’s mouth. They injure the delicate tissues of the larynx, making them vulnerable to infection, which in the future leads to edema of the affected areas and the formation of harmful abscesses.
If a dog has lost his voice, then neurological disorders may well be a pathological cause. The most common among them are:
- Hypothyroidism Dysfunction of the thyroid gland disrupts the full functioning of the laryngeal nerves, due to which the pet cannot bark.
- Congenital paralysis of the larynx. Dogs of breeds such as the German Shepherd, Dalmatians and Rottweilers are especially vulnerable to the innervation of the larynx of this type. The animal is not capable of making any sounds while still a small puppy. Unfortunately, this ailment is incurable.
- Acquired paralysis. Most commonly seen in breeds such as the Irish Setter, Labrador, and St. Bernard.
- Allergic reaction. Leads to the fact that the muscle innervation of the dog malfunctions, which is why it stops barking.
- Oncological diseases. A pet can lose the ability to bark if a malignant tumor appears in its pharynx, which will interfere with the normal movement of the vocal cords. The treatment of such neoplasms is difficult and fraught with difficulties. In most cases, the prognosis for a cure is disappointing. It is difficult for the animal to feed, so it quickly weakens and dies.
Veterinarians are convinced that sometimes dryness of the oral mucosa can lead to loss of voice, for example, because the pet does not have free access to water. Also, the dog is able to stop making sounds if he is sick with any colds, since at this time mucus accumulates in his larynx, which prevents him from barking at full strength.
In addition to all of the above, another reason for sudden dumbness is the long stay of the dog in a room where there is a strong smell. This is especially true of a room in which repairs are being made or heavy smoking. In any case, at the first signs of loss of voice, the pet should be taken to the veterinary hospital, because only a qualified specialist can establish the exact pathogenesis of such a phenomenon.
Diagnosis of the disease
After the animal is delivered to the doctor, he will carefully examine it and palpate the submandibular lymph nodes and neck. Then the dog’s lungs and heart will be listened to for changes in its tones. If such procedures do not give an accurate understanding of the cause of dumbness, then it is permissible to use such modern anesthesia techniques as sedation. With its help, it is possible to conduct an examination of the dog’s pharynx as painlessly as possible in order to exclude the influence of such factors as abscess, paresis of the glottis or the presence of foreign objects inside the larynx on the absence of a voice.
Diagnostics also includes bronchoscopy and sampling of blood fluid for general analysis. The latter measure will detect hypothyroidism, which alters the amount of thyroid hormones in the dog’s blood.
Treatment of the disease
Treatment of a sudden onset of dumbness depends entirely on the cause that caused it. Experts offer the following therapy options, based on the factors that provoked this phenomenon:
- Cancer and paralysis are treated with surgery.
- A foreign body trapped in the dog’s throat is removed by a veterinarian during a laryngoscopy.
- Colds and viral diseases are perfectly amenable to pharmaceutical influence, in particular, antibacterial drugs.
- Antibiotics such as Streptomycin and Amoxicillin have proven to be excellent against infections.
- Diseases of the immune system and hypothyroidism require the use of symptomatic agents.
It is important to understand that if you lose your voice, in no case should you treat your dog at home. The only exception is colds. If the owner is sure that the dog has caught some kind of virus, then before going to the doctor, it is permissible to solder the pet with milk with honey and a warm decoction of chamomile. These funds successfully relieve inflammation of the animal’s larynx and relieve pain.
Finally, I would like to say that the lack of voice is a serious symptom that something is wrong in the dog’s body. Therefore, if an unnatural silence reigns in the house at the usual time, then the owner is obliged to sound the alarm and take the pet to a specialist for examination. In no case do not provoke your pet to bark, do not command him “Voice!”, This can only aggravate the current situation and cause the dog more suffering.
What to do?
If your dog has lost appetite for no reason, watch it first. If the behavior has not changed and there are no obvious health problems, then you can try the following actions:
- Change food, especially if you are offering the dog something new. give him the food he is already familiar with.
- Preheat food, some animals will enjoy eating warm food.
- Provide the dog with clean drinking water, and make sure there is water at all times.
- Make sure that the animal does not pick up anything on the street. Perhaps the dog just “gorged” on a walk.
- Continue to feed your dog at normal times, leaving the bowl for no longer than 15 minutes. If the dog did not eat, then remove the bowl and give only at the next feeding.
What not to do?
- In no case do not try to feed the dog something “tasty” during this period. The animal will taste it very quickly and you will independently form its finicky food.
- Do not try to force feed the animal, especially with the help of screaming and swearing.
- Do not leave a bowl of food on a permanent basis or bring it in between meals. An exception can be made only for animals during the recovery period after illness, radiation, chemotherapy, if the doctor advises enhanced nutrition.
Reasons for refusing food
Veterinarians identify several reasons why a dog may lose appetite:
- Psychological. not having a direct threat to health, but sometimes no less dangerous. May be related to hormonal changes.
- Physiological. a reason that can have quite dangerous consequences. Professional help is almost always required.
- The third reason can arise from either of these two, but at the same time it is considered the norm.
Decreased appetite is normal
There are cases when a decrease in appetite in an animal may be the norm and there should be no prerequisites for anxiety. It:
- The dog is in heat, has lost appetite and the dog may even look haggard. This is often the case, since the animal’s hormonal background changes during this period, so there is no need to panic. Usually, the appetite will return to normal later on. This does not occur in all dogs, so you should not expect such a reaction from every animal. Some “ladies” may, on the contrary, suffer from increased appetite. Also, loss of appetite can be observed in the second half of pregnancy and immediately after childbirth.
- The weather is too hot. It’s okay if it’s 30 days outside for a long time, and the dog’s appetite has disappeared. What to do? Give more water and wait until it gets even a little cooler. Most likely, in hot weather, the desire to eat decreases and you.
- Excess food. Oddly enough it sounds, but some owners literally overfeed their pets. Now it is very common to find animals that are overweight and even obese. But there are some dogs that are much smarter than their owners. when they feel that their body already has an excess of nutrients, they independently arrange for themselves “fasting days”. In such cases, there is no need to try to feed them by force.
- To the norm in refusal of food can be attributed the case when the animal is being treated with any potent drugs. But this is only when the animal is recovering. If the condition of the dog worsens, then it is necessary to resort to force feeding the animal, perhaps even with the help of droppers.
- Another cause of decreased appetite in dogs is age. In old age, the dog consumes much less food, which is associated with a decrease in its activity. And in anticipation of its imminent death, the animal may refuse food altogether.
Quite a common reason why dogs have lost appetite. precisely, they can even be subdivided into several, namely:
- The dog stopped eating after certain events. For example, after celebrating the New Year with a lot of fireworks, many owners note a decrease in the appetite of their animals. This can also be observed after severe thunderstorms with loud thunderclaps. In such cases, you should wait for the dog to calm down and try to pay as much attention to it as possible in order to relieve its anxiety. Usually, the appetite returns to normal within a few days.
- As strange as it sounds, dogs, like humans, suffer from depression. This most often occurs when separated from the owner or family members. Another reason for depression, and therefore why the dog’s appetite has disappeared, may be moving to another place of residence or even separation from some four-legged friend. If you see that your pet has been depressed for a long time, you should see a doctor, as this condition can lead to various negative consequences.
- Another psychological reason why a dog’s appetite may disappear is the lack of realization by the animal, and specifically by the dog, of its instincts for reproduction. If for some reason you do not want to knit your dog, then it would be more humane to think about sterilizing him than to constantly keep his natural urges “in check”.
If you notice that the dog has lost appetite, lethargy, or, conversely, irritability, or some other behavioral changes, then the problems are probably much deeper. Health problems that can cause the problem under study:
- The dog has a mouth injury, indigestion, or some type of dental problem. Examine the dog’s oral cavity on your own, observe the animal’s stool. Try giving your dog some softened, grated food. And it is better, of course, to consult a specialist.
- Poisoning. Another common reason why a dog has lost appetite. If you suspect poisoning, then you must definitely contact the clinic, since delay can be deadly, especially if you do not know what exactly your animal ate.
- Also, the reason for the loss of appetite can be the presence of intestinal parasites in your pet. Regularly solder the animal with anthelmintic drugs. An accurate diagnosis can be made by a doctor, unless, of course, the animal has an already neglected form.
- The most dangerous causes are problems with any internal organs: thyroid gland, heart, lungs, liver, etc.
You may not notice the very beginning of the disease, and the animal cannot tell you about it. it can only show that it is bad for it by refusing to eat. That is why, as soon as you see that the dog’s appetite has disappeared, the doctor should look for the reasons. Especially in cases where there should be no prerequisites for this.
The dog lost appetite: reasons and what to do
Your pet’s healthy appetite is one sign that he is feeling well. But sometimes it happens that the pet refuses any food. Let’s take a look at what is normal if a dog’s appetite has disappeared. When to see a doctor?
When to see a doctor
If the dog missed one meal, then there is no reason to worry yet. If, with two meals a day, the dog misses one or two meals, then this can be considered the norm. You need to start worrying when the dog does not eat for more than a day and a half.
It is clear that if the animal has a clear health disorder. diarrhea, vomiting, convulsions, fever, pain syndrome, bloating and more, then you need to see a doctor immediately.
Treatment with medication
To restore a torn or hoarse voice, drugs are most often used in the form of sprays, tablets for resorption, rinsing solutions with anti-inflammatory, analgesic effects. serious medicines are used for viral and bacterial pathologies.
What medications will help restore your voice:
- rinsing solutions. Chlorophyllipt, Miramistin;
- throat softening sprays. Orasept, Ingalipt;
- lozenges. Lizobakt, Strepsils;
- means for lubricating the larynx. Lugol;
- antihistamines. Cetrizin, Fenistil;
- antibiotics for laryngitis. Sumamed, Azithromycin.
Chlorophyllipt. throat gargle solution
What to do at home if your voice is lost
If the voice suddenly disappears or is hoarse, it is unlikely that it will be possible to get rid of the problem in 5 minutes, since it takes time to restore the vocal cords, eliminate inflammatory and infectious processes. But correctly selected medications will help to quickly cope with the problem. To speed up the healing process, you should use folk remedies and special exercises.
How to treat with folk remedies
If you urgently need to restore your voice, eggnog will help. Beat 2 yolks with 30 ml of liquid honey, add 120 ml of warm milk, 30 ml of fresh orange juice, a little ground ginger and cinnamon. Beat the whites into a stable foam, add to the bulk. You need to drink the drink warm 2-3 times a day, the next day the unpleasant symptoms will almost completely disappear.
How to restore your voice with folk remedies:
- Mix 30 g of inflorescences of chamomile, calendula, eucalyptus herbs. Brew 1 tbsp. l. collecting 20 ml of boiling water, leave for 30 minutes. Gargle with a solution every 2 hours, such a remedy helps to cope even with a drunken voice.
- Peel the fleshy aloe leaf, mix in equal proportions with honey. To make the voice cut faster, you need to take the medicine 4-5 times a day, 5 g each, the mixture must be slowly absorbed.
- They help to soften the throat of inhalation well. you can breathe steam over boiled potatoes. Or mix 10 g of St. John’s wort and oregano, pour 1.5 liters of boiling water, bring to a boil, cool slightly, add 3-5 drops of peach or eucalyptus oil. The duration of the procedure is a quarter of an hour, it should be carried out one hour after a meal, preferably before bedtime.
- Compress is a quick and affordable way to restore your voice. You can use a solution of equal amounts of vodka and water, a cabbage leaf smeared with honey. For maximum effect, the throat should be wrapped in a woolen shawl or scarf.
- Anise is one of the best remedies for ligament restoration. Pour 400 ml of boiling water over 1 tbsp. l. crushed raw materials, leave in a sealed container for 20 minutes. Drink in strained form, 50 ml half an hour before each meal. If the child has lost his voice, you can drip 3-4 drops of anise oil on a piece of refined sugar.
- Add 50 ml of fresh carrot juice to 150 ml of warm milk. Drink 100 ml three times a day.
Anise broth restores the voice well
Any warming methods can be used only if the loss of voice proceeds without temperature.
It helps to soften the throat, eliminate unpleasant symptoms alkaline drinking. warm milk with soda, alkaline mineral water without gas.
Why does my voice disappear??
If a person loses his voice, then doctors diagnose aphonia, the cause of the development of the disease can be external and or internal stimuli.
Why the voice sat down. the main reasons
Most often, the problem of a shrunken voice is of a professional nature. by the evening, hoarseness often appears in singers, teachers, trainers and other people whose activities are associated with constant tension of the vocal cords.
Because of what the voice may change:
- intense heat. the mucous membrane dries up, the voice may temporarily disappear;
- cold wind;
- the voice can sit down during a long conversation, especially if the person is nervous, the topic of the conversation is unpleasant to him;
- constant stay in a room with high temperature and low humidity;
- screaming, improper breathing during intense physical exertion, thirst;
- temporary numbness occurs against the background of a nervous shock;
- abuse of dry, hard, spicy food, carbonated drinks, coffee;
- in the morning, a hoarse voice occurs after drinking, prolonged smoking.
From the point of view of psychosomatics, at times the loss of voice is inherent in squeezed people who cannot speak out, the accumulated grievances literally strangle them.
The voice can be lost due to prolonged smoking
What makes a child’s voice disappear
Full or partial loss of voice is often diagnosed in children, the causes of aphonia can be different, often the discomfort disappears after a few days even without medication.
A hoarse voice in a child. reasons:
- prolonged tension of the vocal cords when screaming, crying;
- if the voice is suddenly hoarse, this may be the result of stress, fright, nervous exhaustion;
- infectious pathologies of the nasopharynx and larynx. laryngitis, tonsillitis, tracheitis, while the throat is sore and sore, there are problems with swallowing, the temperature rises;
- damage to the mucous membrane by solid food;
- the presence of a foreign body in the respiratory tract. the situation requires immediate medical attention, since the child may suffocate;
- prolonged stay in a room with dry, polluted air;
- Quincke’s edema is one of the most dangerous manifestations of allergies, the tissues of the larynx rapidly increase in size, it becomes difficult for the child to breathe;
- the effect of hormones on the vocal cords at puberty.
Inflammation of the vocal cords causes loss of voice
Lost voice. what to do and how to quickly restore
Lost voice. such a problem is often faced by adults and children, hoarseness is most often accompanied by other characteristic symptoms, which allows you to determine the cause. To eliminate hoarseness, medications, folk remedies, and special exercises are used.
Loss of voice is common in children and adults
Which doctor to contact?
An otolaryngologist deals with the treatment and restoration of a hoarse voice. If problems with the vocal cords are found, consultation with a phoniatrist will be required.
If a tumor is suspected, it is necessary to visit an oncologist, an allergist deals with the elimination of allergy manifestations.
Sometimes it is required to undergo an examination by an endocrinologist, neurologist, infectious disease specialist.
A veterinarian is responsible for diagnosing violations of the vocal apparatus. During the inspection, he:
- palpates the larynx and lymph nodes,
- listens to the breathing and heartbeats of the animal.
For a detailed study, the doctor prescribes laryngoscopy with anesthesia of the vocal cords and examines the blood for the level of hormones and autoimmune bodies.
How the vocal cords work
The main vocal organ is the vocal cords. In the cartilaginous rings of the larynx, there are two transverse folds. the vocal lips, consisting of a muscle, and a ligament. The distance between the vocal lips is called the glottis. The tension of the vocal lips when inhaling makes sounds.
Reasons for missing voice
- Mechanical damage and swelling of the vocal cords after a foreign body enters the larynx, inflammation of the pharynx, or injury.
- Neurological abnormalities:
- laryngeal paralysis. congenital or acquired;
- malignant neoplasms. tumors;
- hypothyroidism. disorders of the thyroid gland;
- autoimmune diseases. allergies.
- Physiological disorders from drying out of the mucous membrane.
- Respiratory viral diseases. A dog has a cold if it has a cough, fever and decreased appetite.
When to see a doctor
If your dog has lost his voice, do not go to the doctor right away. First:
- water the animal and ventilate the room;
- observe if there are other symptoms of the disease. cough, apathy, nasal flow;
- remember what the dog did the day before. chewed thorns, got an injury to the larynx, or froze on a walk;
- carefully examine the larynx with a flashlight for a foreign body.
The dog lost his voice. causes and treatment
Emotions and feelings of a dog are conveyed by sounds. Depending on the tone, timbre and tone of the bark, you can determine the mood of the pet. Silence in a home with a dog can be a symptom of a dangerous illness.
No need to panic if the dog’s voice has disappeared:
- the foreign body is removed during laryngoscopy;
- tumors and paralysis are treated with surgery;
- colds and viruses. taking antibacterial drugs;
- hypothyoresis and autoimmune diseases. by symptomatic means.
Before going to the doctor for viruses and colds, it is useful to give your pet a decoction of chamomile and oregano. Warm milk with honey also relieves inflammation.
During allergic edema, Suprastin should be given to the dog. calculate the dose depending on body weight or claritin.
The physiological cause. lack of water. is eliminated by drinking plenty of fluids and walking in the fresh air.
But the course of chemotherapy for malignant neoplasms and hormone replacement therapy for hypothyroidism requires examination and control of a veterinarian.
What not to do
A dog suffers if he cannot express his feelings through his voice. Monitor her health and contact the veterinarian on time.
How to help a dog with a loss of voice
So, self-medication on the advice of neighbors and acquaintances is not the best solution to the problem. After all, you need to start by finding out the cause of the pathology. Watch your dog. You may also notice other signs of distress that need to be reported to your veterinarian. Before visiting the veterinary clinic and prescribing a course of therapy for your pet, you can do something yourself. For example, more often to ventilate the room if the dog is in it, to monitor the purity of the water in the animal’s drinker, to change it more often.
Try to examine your dog’s or puppy’s larynx yourself. This must be done carefully, in a playful way, without causing pain to the pet. You may need an assistant for this. But don’t overdo it! If you manage to detect any inflammation, mechanical damage, then in order to avoid further injury to the tissues of the pharynx, try to fix the dog in a comfortable position and show the doctor.
Sometimes antihistamines help with throat swelling, for example, Claritin, Tavegil, Suprastin. They should be given to the dog depending on its weight.
If the cause of the problem is a cold, then it must be treated, and the voice will gradually return to normal.
A bone stuck in the throat or polypoid formations can only be removed by a doctor.
How to treat an animal?
As we said, self-treatment of such a problem is not always the best option. Observe your pet, if you notice any other additional symptoms or see that no improvement occurs within a few days, then be sure to contact the veterinary clinic. And yet, before such drastic measures, you can do something.
- Ventilate the room more often, monitor the presence and purity of water in your pet’s bowl.
- Do not get carried away with airing, who knows, maybe it was the drafts that caused the ailment, carefully examine the animal for other symptoms.
- Try to examine the larynx of the animal, if you find any mechanical damage and inflammation, then, in order not to injure the tissues even more, try to fix it in a comfortable position and show it to the veterinarian.
- Sometimes, in case of swelling of the throat, antihistamines, for example, Suprastin, Claritin, help. Naturally, you need to use them depending on the weight of your pet.
- If this is a cold, then first of all, you need to treat it exactly, the only way you can return your voice to your pet.
Why does the dog wheeze
Laryngospasm or laryngeal swelling. The causes of its occurrence can be various allergies or the penetration of foreign bodies into the pet’s throat. The seizure is sometimes caused by tightening the collar. In this case, the dog begins to wheeze, as if choking, and on the onset of the attack itself looks enraged and tries to capture as much air as possible with its mouth. During this process, the mucous membranes of the dog may acquire a bluish tint. In most cases, with a timely visit to the veterinarian, laryngospasm is treated without subsequent possible complications.
Collapse of the trachea. In this case, the dog’s trachea changes in shape and thickens in places, creating an obstacle to the flow of air. As a rule, dogs of dwarf breeds are susceptible to this ailment. In the early stages, it is quite difficult to identify the disease; from the manifestations, only a rare cough can be noticed. In the subsequent stages, shortness of breath, weakness, loss of consciousness is acquired, and the dog wheezes heavily and possibly sneezes most of the time.
Brachycephalic syndrome. This condition affects dogs with small and round skulls and flattened noses (Pekingese, Pugs, and Bulldogs). The development of the disease for these breeds is a normal biological phenomenon due to the peculiar structure of the skull. The disease can be diagnosed by the following signs: narrowing of the nasal passages, swelling of the soft palate and a change in the shape of the larynx. At the same time, the dog snores, breathes heavily, inhaling, clearly sniffs and you can notice the blue of the mucous membranes.
The appearance of tumors of the respiratory system. If the dog is also coughing, this may be a signal of benign or malignant tumors. Bronchitis or pneumonia. During diseases of this kind, the dog very often coughs and constantly wheezes when breathing. There is a misconception that dogs are not susceptible to these ailments, however, they occur in 50% of 100 possible.
Swelling of the lungs. The mechanism of the disease is the accumulation of the liquid part of the blood in the lungs. You can understand that edema has appeared in the dog’s lungs by severe shortness of breath and blue mucous membranes. This disease can be provoked by other, more serious ailments, to which you also cannot close your eyes, these are various kinds of infections or heart failure.
Speaking with a Dead Man’s Voice | Only Human
Paralysis of the larynx or vocal cords. In this state, the incoming air enters in a small amount through the glottis, as a result of which the dog may begin oxygen starvation. Dalmatians, Rottweilers, and huskies or huskies are most commonly affected by respiratory paralysis. It is important to clarify that the disease occurs more frequently in males. With the exception of wheezing, shortness of breath and rare loss of consciousness appear with the disease. Or a bone stuck in the throat.
So, a loss of voice in a dog can be caused by violations:
DOG LOST HIS VOICE
With a mechanical disorder, the dog’s voice is lost due to:
- Abscess of the pharynx. During a walk, the animal may eat herbs, as a result of which seeds and thorns get stuck in the tonsils, pharynx or larynx. The consequence for the pet can be: rapid tissue edema, infection of the damaged area, or the formation of an abscess.
- Injuries. It is no secret that many owners prefer to feed their pets with bones in order to save money, the sharp edges of which can, in turn, cause blunt trauma to the throat or even severe penetrating, the result in this case, as a rule, is pronounced swelling of the glottis.
- Tumors. Pets also get cancer, they may develop malignant neoplasms, polyps that interfere with the movement of the vocal cords, as a result of which the dog loses its voice.
Neurological disorders, in turn, are associated with:
- Congenital paralysis of the larynx. Some dog breeds (German and White Shepherd Dogs, Rottweilers, Dalmatians) may be born with impaired laryngeal innervation.
- Acquired paralysis of the larynx. A disease of this kind already applies to adult animals (Labradors, Irish Setters, St. Bernards, Golden Retrievers have a predisposition).
- Tumor. In this case, it is worth bearing in mind the primary tumor of the nerves associated with the larynx. Nerve fibers can be compressed by large neoplasms.
- Hypothyroidism. Disruption of the proper functioning of the laryngeal nerves can cause thyroid insufficiency.
- Muscle disorders. As a rule, all autoimmune diseases can lead to impaired neuromuscular transmission in the vocal cords.
Many veterinarians note that very often all the vocal changes observed in dogs are closely related to respiratory dysfunctions. This is because rigid, inflamed or swollen vocal cords prevent air from entering the trachea.
Vigilant owners should immediately respond to the slightest change in the pet’s voice and take appropriate measures, that is, look for a qualified veterinary clinic and an experienced veterinarian working there. It is the timely diagnostics that will help not only identify the correct cause of the disease, but also tell you how to get rid of it at an early stage.
Why did it happen so?
What if your cat or dog has lost their voice? Unfortunately, you will not find an unequivocal answer to this question; first of all, you need to figure out why this happened. There are a number of factors and even serious diseases that can trigger the appearance of such an unpleasant symptom for your pet. After all, for him, the lack of a voice is a real shock, with which he needs help to cope.
- The most common reason for the disappearance of the voice in an animal is damage to the larynx, esophagus or upper respiratory tract by some foreign objects. Nothing surprising, because animals, like children, taste everything and can easily harm themselves with a sharp bone from a fish or chicken, a knot from a wooden stick, a piece of wire or even a spare part from a toy.
- Sometimes the animal loses its voice from lack of water. Remember that your pet should always have easy access to a container of clean and fresh water.
- Sometimes the disappearance of the voice in an animal is one of the symptoms of the disease. For example, otitis media, which is usually accompanied by ear inflammation.
- A common cold or a more serious viral illness can also cause loss of voice. Naturally, in this case, the sick animal should show other symptoms of the disease: for example, drowsiness, weakness, cough, fever, and so on. Usually colds, just like in humans, are accompanied by swelling of the larynx, where mucus accumulates and makes it difficult for the animal to make sounds.
- Sometimes pets lose their voice if they are in a room for a long time with strong odors, for example, the smell of cigarettes, solvents, varnishes or paint.
- Sometimes it is difficult for an animal to make some sounds if it is weakened by the effect of anesthesia.
In addition to the above reasons, the lack of voice can be triggered by other, even more serious diseases, for which you cannot be treated on your own. in no case, if you value the health of your pet. An experienced veterinarian will be able to determine the true cause of the problem, as well as prescribe the appropriate treatment.
Types of wheezing
Dry wheezing is caused by a narrowing of the distance between the bronchi, abundant secretions or obstruction of the airways. Exhaling, the animal wheezes much louder. Humid wheezing in a dog is a consequence of the accumulation of blood or other fluids in the lungs, as this slows down air permeability.
Wheezing, more like a crunch or crackle, is called crepitant and occurs when the alveoli swell. Such wheezing can be with pneumonia or fibrosis. Wheezing, similar to whistling, is also due to a decrease in the lumen of the airways. It is found in brachycephaly, paralysis of the vocal cords and the penetration of objects into the throat of an animal.