Answers to any questions
It happens that the dog, for some reason, begins to cough and wheeze, as if choking. But after a while, the attack passes, and she again continues to live a normal life. If this happened once and did not happen again, then the owner should not worry, apparently his dog just choked. But when coughing, wheezing, and coughing up occurs several times a day, it is worrisome and indicates problems. Many owners panic because they do not know why the dog is coughing, as if choking, what is the reason for the pet’s repeated regurgitation and persistent wheezing.
The dog coughs and spits up white foam
In addition to adeneuriasis, white foam from the mouth with a cough can occur against the background of banal poisoning with poor-quality food. Vomit can be of various colors and consistencies. Nausea can occur after meals or on an empty stomach.
Even the discharge of white transparent foam or water is dangerous for the animal, as it can lead to exicosis. And red, black and gray vomit is a signal of serious problems. For example, about the presence of gastrointestinal diseases: colitis, pancreatitis, volvulus, or a violation in the functioning of the liver or kidneys.
The pet may vomit from overheating in the sun or medication overdose.
The dog’s behavior changes from indifferent to aggressive, it begins to deplete, it becomes difficult for it to swallow even water. The barking becomes hoarse. Further worse: the dog becomes uncontrollable, rushes at the owners, stops drinking and eating.
Disease is often fatal due to wasting.
The dog coughs and wheezes
The pet can suffer from constant wheezing. It is not so easy to establish the origin of which.
Wheezing is dry, wet, and wheezing, depending on the underlying cause:
- Humid wheezing occurs when air is forced into a dog’s lungs through a buildup of foreign fluid. With bronchitis, bronchopneumonia, pulmonary bleeding, blood, purulent discharge, mucus forms in the lungs, which accumulate and interfere with normal air passage;
- Dry wheezing appears due to narrowing of the lumen of the bronchi or trachea. It can also occur when a foreign object is stuck in the upper respiratory tract;
- Wheezing can be caused by the following conditions: vocal cord paralysis or brachycephalic syndrome.
The dog is constantly coughing as if choking
If a pet’s cough occurs on its own, without other accompanying symptoms, then the cough can be caused by the following reasons:
- It is possible that the dog’s collar is simply tightly tightened;
- A foreign body got into the dog’s throat: a clump of wool, a sliver or a fragment of a bone;
- Colds that may occur due to hypothermia, for example, after walking in winter or autumn with strong winds or frost;
- Older dogs can cough due to pulmonary edema that occurs with chronic heart failure. Attacks are especially pronounced after jogging, walking and physical overstrain. Coughing up may be accompanied by mucus;
- Dogs, just like humans, can suffer from allergies. Allergens are insects, deodorants, mosquitoes and ticks, flea control agents. In case of allergic reactions, in addition to coughing, sneezing and tearing of the eyes occur.
Adeneuriasis in dogs
If the cough is accompanied by the release of white foam from the mouth, then this may be a sign of an infectious disease. Regardless of breed and age, all dogs are susceptible to “kennel cough”. This ailment is transmitted by airborne droplets, and therefore progresses in places with a large concentration of dogs. During a walk, even with short contact with an infected individual, the dog can become infected.
Cough and foamy discharge are the first signs of adeneuriasis, which appear for the first time 5-10 days after infection. Later, other symptoms of the disease appear: inactivity, swelling of the lymph nodes near the ears and under the jaw, the palate and tonsils turn red, the pet loses appetite and the temperature rises.
Cough, wheezing, regurgitation of white foam with pulmonary worms
When there are too many worms, they can get to the dog’s throat, as a result, she tries to get rid of foreign bodies by coughing up and spitting up. The larvae of parasites can live in the lungs of a dog, these are the so-called pulmonary worms.
In addition to coughing, the release of white foam and wheezing, when it is affected by helminths, an appetite disorder occurs, drowsiness, the coat changes, blood can be released with feces.
- Toxocaras and roundworms that cause toxocariasis and ascariasis;
- Cucumber tapeworm causing dipylidiosis. The dog is worried about intestinal obstruction and itching in the anus;
- Esophageal esophageal worms of dogs to cough, wheezing, vomiting and problems with swallowing food.
Cough, wheezing and regurgitation. quite common syndromes of broad Spectra diseases in dogs, which, even in their aggregate, cannot accurately indicate the existing problems. Therefore, it is very difficult to diagnose only on these grounds. Why the dog is coughing, as if choking for several days, can only be said by an experienced veterinarian, after conducting an appropriate examination. The pet is prescribed tests, examines the upper respiratory tract and the pharynx area.
In this video, veterinarian Anna Moshkina will tell you why a dog can periodically cough, making grunting sounds, how to help the animal with this:
Why does the dog cough as if it choked??
A dog’s sudden cough is not a reason to go to the veterinarian. You should not sound the alarm in advance, first you need to figure out why the dog has a cough. The cough itself can be a consequence of the body’s struggle with the disease. The first thing to do is to find out the nature of its occurrence and find ways to get rid of this ailment.
The main reasons why a dog coughs:
The dog could catch a cold due to hypothermia or swimming in cool weather.
Often, in hot weather, pet owners give the dogs cold water to drink or even eat ice cream. many believe that this is a sure way to deal with bad weather. But such procedures can lead to a cold. the dog’s tonsils will become inflamed and he will begin to cough, trying to “get rid” of the irritant.
If your dog has a cold, then it is necessary to provide her with comfortable living conditions so that she will soon get better: give her a warm drink, high-calorie good food; insulate the place where the dog sleeps; limit walking time; brushing your pet with a soft brush. this will help disperse the blood.
If the measures taken do not help and the dog becomes lethargic, you need to contact a specialist for advice.
The dog has been in contact with a sick pet.
A sudden onset of cough in a dog may be due to the onset of adenovirus. This disease is airborne and can cause dry, wet, barking, or mild coughs in your dog. Adenovirus is often accompanied by vomiting. With a severe form of the disease, the animal’s temperature rises, fever appears and profuse nasal discharge. The general condition of the dog worsens, the pet becomes lethargic, begins to lose weight, shortness of breath and drowsiness appear.
If the disease is mild, then the treatment can be carried out on an outpatient basis. The dog is isolated in a separate warm room, not allowed to walk. To increase immunity, a diet of easily digestible feed with a high level of vitamins is prescribed. In addition, the animal is prescribed immunostimulants. The cough itself is treated with medication prescribed by a veterinarian. Roughly, the treatment of adenovirosis is at least ten days. It should be remembered that for any form of this disease, you need to contact your veterinarian. this way you can cure your dog faster.
The dog presses the collar and it feels uncomfortable.
If you notice that your dog begins to cough after or during walks, carefully examine the collar and try to loosen it. Perhaps the collar presses on the dog’s throat and it suffocates, which causes a cough. You can read more about the dangers of a collar in the article “Harm from a collar”.
A foreign object is stuck in the dog’s throat.
If the dog is coughing like it’s choking, there may be a foreign object in its throat and it’s trying to push it out. Examine the animal’s mouth carefully and make sure the dog has no foreign objects in its mouth. Often times, dogs can eat something harmful or poisonous, and the cough will be accompanied by a frothy discharge, possibly even with droplets of blood. If you find any object, be it a piece of a stick or a bone, consult a specialist in order to remove a foreign body without harm. It only takes a couple of minutes, but will save the dog from additional damage when removing the object on its own.
5. The dog is allergic to plants, pollen, drugs, or food.
In such cases, the cough is usually accompanied by profuse tears and sneezing. To determine if your animal is allergic and what to do in this case. read the article “Animal Allergies”.
The dog has not been treated for worms for a long time.
If your pet has not been treated for worms, it is possible that they caused the cough. Once in the dog’s body, they can settle in the esophagus and cause discomfort and coughing in the animal.
Dog coughs due to heart problems.
If you have carefully examined the dog and did not find the symptoms described above, then it is recommended to examine the dog’s gums. With a negative change in the work of the heart, it becomes bluish-gray. In this case, you need to urgently contact your veterinarian.
How to help your dog cough?
When a dog has a cough, it is important to treat the causes, not the symptoms. Observe your animal, examine it carefully, measure the temperature, examine the skin, throat. These observations will help determine the cause of the dog’s cough. Even if you decide to immediately contact a specialist, according to your conclusions, it will be easier for him to quickly make the correct diagnosis and start treatment.
If the cough itself was a one-time case and the dog continues to lead a healthy lifestyle without changing its behavior, then you can not worry. everything is in order. In this case, it is only worthwhile to additionally observe the animal in order to finally make sure that there is no cough.
If the cough continues and the cause could not be determined, you should not treat the animal on your own, this can only aggravate its condition. It will not be difficult for a veterinarian to make a diagnosis, but the lost time will make the dog experience difficulties once again.
Why does the dog cough as if it choked?
The pet barks hoarsely or hoarsely, can whine, sneeze funny and this is quite normal behavior for a four-legged friend. But if he has a cough, then the owner may be alert. In fact, such a reaction of the body in these animals is not so rare and can be caused by a variety of reasons. Why does a dog cough, as if choking, and how can you help your pet?
Other provoking factors
In addition to infections and diseases, coughs are caused by other reasons:
- The inconvenience of wearing a collar. If the dog begins to cough only during a walk, you should pay attention to the pet’s collar. It is possible that he presses on her, causing discomfort. According to the norms, there should be a place between the coat and the accessory where two fingers can enter. Often, young individuals who have not mastered the command “near!” Are too briskly pulling on the leash, thereby causing signs of suffocation. The puppy can be trained to walk around the correct behavior rather quickly. If the education of an adult dog is required, then special devices can be used: a jerk chain, a pulling collar or a parfors.
- Or maybe the pet choked after all? Many dogs are not very legible and are able to swallow not only a sharp bone, but also not entirely edible things. If your pet coughs up to vomiting and cannot get rid of the stuck object, you can give him a loaf of crust to chew. Did not help? So, you should seek veterinary help.
Watch the dog cough as if it choked:
Why does the dog cough
If a dog, separately from a meal, begins to cough, trying to regurgitate, then there is definitely a factor that provokes such behavior. First of all, it can be any diseases accompanied by a cough, for example:
- Colds, ARVI, ARI. Despite the stronger immunity, in comparison with humans, dogs can catch colds. swimming in cold water, sitting in a draft after water procedures, after a long walk in frosty weather. The common cold can be of viral or bacterial origin. When a dog is ill, the throat may sore, it can be irritated by tickling and coughing. a completely natural reaction to this condition.
- Adenovirosis. If a dog tries to clear his throat as if something is stuck in his throat, then there is a chance that he contracted adenovirus. It is a cough that is a symptom of the initial stage of development of this infectious viral disease. Also, the infection is accompanied by fever, profuse discharge from the nose, eyes, and vomiting. The pet becomes lethargic, refuses to eat, its breathing becomes heavy, difficult.
- Allergy. Dogs, like people, quite often suffer from all sorts of allergic manifestations. seasonal allergies, food allergies, the reaction can occur against the background of taking medications or contact with the skin and mucous membranes of chemicals. Often the cause of this condition is feeding the pet with poor quality food or changing the usual diet. Whatever causes an allergy, it manifests itself in the form of itching, rash, the dog can cough, sneeze, eyes begin to “sour” and water.
- Helminthic invasion. An agonizing, suffocating cough can occur due to the defeat of the animal with worms. There is an opinion that parasitic worms live exclusively in the intestines, but experts refute it. The larvae of worms “travel” throughout the body along with the bloodstream and can enter various organs, including the lungs. In this case, the dog coughs and he has signs of bronchitis or pneumonia. With a strong helminthic invasion, worms can enter the esophagus, the dog begins to feel attacks of suffocation.
- Cardiac pathology. The presence of a choking cough can be a sign of heart failure. It is also often a sign of an enlarged heart muscle that presses on the trachea. The brain receives a signal that the trachea is under pressure, as if a foreign body has entered, and a cough in this case is a natural way to remove it.
What to do if your dog coughs
In some cases, the pet manages to cope with the cough on its own. if it chokes, or there is a reverse sneezing, which is inherent in almost all dogs with a shortened muzzle and decorative crumbs. Often, long-haired animals, with the help of a cough, regurgitate hairballs swallowed during hygiene procedures.
It is also not difficult to solve the problem with a pressing leash or a dog rushing forward, provoking a strangulation on its own. However, if this manifestation is caused by a disease, then you cannot do without veterinary assistance. The specialist prescribes individual therapy, which will relieve the dog of all unpleasant manifestations, including cough.
Timely intake of anthelmintic drugs will be an excellent prevention of helminthic invasion, and taking care of proper, high-quality nutrition can save the dog from manifestations of food allergies.
Also, do not forget that dogs can also catch colds, which means that it is important to protect your pet from drafts, swimming in cold waters and long walks in cold weather. Owners of meager fur or even nude should be dressed for the weather.
Cough in animals is the body’s response to a variety of conditions, both pathological and completely natural. The owner should observe the pet and try to find out the reason. If you cannot do this on your own, you can always contact a professional.
For treatment, expectorant drugs, cough suppressants are prescribed. In severe cases, antibiotics are required. It is important for the owner to place the dog in a warm room, to provide normal humidity and rest. Interaction with other pets is prohibited.
Adenovirus vaccination should be given to prevent kennel cough. If the baby was brought from the nursery, it is worth quarantining him for 14 days. In the event that a cough has arisen after vaccination, it is important to take the dog to the clinic.
If the symptom appears after a walk, it may indicate an allergic reaction. Sometimes it comes from certain foods, drugs, dust, pollen, chemicals. Easier to identify and correct food allergies. This requires a change in diet. It usually manifests itself in protein. Then one of its sources is replaced by another. For example, instead of beef, they give duck. In severe cases, you will have to buy hypoallergenic food.
If the reason is different, then the elimination method is used. The seasonal cough is due to bloom and dust. In case of an allergic reaction, there are strong discharge from the nose and eyes, swelling of the mucous membranes.
Problems with heart
With heart failure, shortness of breath, loss of appetite, weakness, and blue mucous membranes are observed. The cough is expressed in the morning and at night, the pet can hardly tolerate hot weather and humidity.
The mitral valve of the heart is affected. The organ increases, fluid accumulates in the lungs. Large dogs often suffer from cardiomyopathy (DCM). Pathology is characterized by rapid development, the presence of concomitant arrhythmias.
With heart ailments, self-medication is unacceptable. The specialist will prescribe the necessary tests, procedures and drugs. The prognosis depends on the age of the dog and the neglect of the pathology.
A heart cough is considered the earliest sign of heart failure. It is often diagnosed in elderly individuals.
What to do if your dog coughs as if choking?
If, regardless of food intake, the dog coughs, chokes and wheezes, as if choking, makes unusual sounds, grunts his nose, you should deal with the cause. The owner will not be able to identify it on his own. You should not try to diagnose yourself, you need to take your pet to the veterinarian.
It is easier for a specialist to determine the disease if the owner participates in the compilation of the anamnesis. The doctor will ask questions about nutrition, walking areas, and behavioral changes. After providing first aid (usually relief of symptoms and taking sedatives), an examination is necessary. a blood test, a chest X-ray, an ultrasound examination of the heart.
Sometimes serious illnesses, even lung cancer, are detected. There is a cough, decreased activity, weakness, shortness of breath. This is usually a type 1 adenocarcinoma. It occurs in older individuals. Then steroids are prescribed to eliminate the inflammatory process, bronchodilator drugs to facilitate breathing. The prognosis is often unfavorable.
Tracheal collapse is diagnosed in miniature breeds. Due to malformations, the soft tissues of the trachea become inflamed and softened. Without timely assistance, there is a risk of death from suffocation.
Prescribe drugs that help get rid of the disease, if it is not running. Tracheal tissue can be rebuilt with nutritional supplements. In the absence of a result, surgical intervention is required. Instead of damaged tracheal rings, artificial.
Why does the dog constantly cough and try to burp something and what should be done while doing this?
The pet can choke due to various reasons. Consider what to do when your dog is coughing, as if choking, and is trying to regurgitate something. With the help of a cough, the dog seeks to clear the airways. Sometimes it appears for no apparent reason, which indicates health problems. It is important to distinguish an anxiety symptom from a natural reaction.
An examination by a doctor should be carried out in order to identify the pathology in time. This often indicates colds, because the immune system does not always cope with pathologies. They occur due to hypothermia while walking or after swimming. Often the reason is infection with helminths, hereditary diseases. Pet may experience discomfort due to improper collar wearing.
Causes of cough in dogs
If the pet coughs and tries to vomit separately from the meal, then this often indicates a disease. Usually the reasons are in the following pathologies:
- Cold ailments. Dogs have a stronger immune system than humans, but they also sometimes face a problem. This happens due to swimming in cool water, long winter walks. The disease can develop due to viruses or bacteria. Symptoms such as sore throat, cough, perspiration.
- Adenovirosis. The first sign of pathology is coughing. Also have fever, nasal discharge, vomiting, lethargy, loss of appetite, shortness of breath.
- Allergic reactions. They can be seasonal, caused by certain foods, pills, or chemicals on the skin. Often they occur after eating low-quality food, making adjustments to the usual menu. Symptoms such as rashes, itching, sneezing, coughing, eye problems (they watery and sour).
- Infection with helminths. Sometimes the pet constantly coughs due to parasites, because they live not only in the intestines. The larvae spread throughout the body through the bloodstream. They are found in different organs, even in the lungs. Then there is a cough, symptoms of pneumonia and bronchitis. With severe infection, worms penetrate the esophagus, which leads to attacks of suffocation.
- Problems with heart. A suffocating cough sometimes indicates heart failure. It is also a sign of an enlarged heart muscle pressing on the trachea. A signal is sent to the brain that it is under pressure, as if a foreign object has penetrated. Then the natural reaction of the body is manifested, trying to get rid of a foreign body. a cough.
In addition to diseases, a symptom may appear for the following reasons:
- Inconvenient collar. If the pet begins to cough badly only outside, this may indicate that the product is pressing and the dog is uncomfortable. Normally, two fingers should fit between the coat and the collar. Sometimes the owners pull the pet too much, which is why there are signs of suffocation. It is important to teach your baby the rules of behavior when walking. For an adult, it is worth using a parforce, a collar, a jerk chain.
- The animal choked. Dogs are not picky about their food. They can eat not only the bone, but also a completely inedible object. If the pet is coughing a lot, trying to burp something, then you should offer him a loaf crust. If there is no result, it is better to consult a doctor.
You can get infected in unsanitary conditions and even after being bitten by a mosquito. In the latter case, dirofilariasis develops. These are heart worms that affect the internal organs. Pathology is difficult to treat.
There is a cough, lethargy, drowsiness, swelling of the forelegs and sternum, loss or increase in appetite. Specific medications are prescribed, sometimes with arsenic in the composition. Self-medication with folk remedies is unacceptable. Dirofilariasis is difficult to get rid of, so it is important to take preventive measures, that is, use insect repellents.
Collapse of the trachea
Tracheal collapse is one of the unpleasant pathological processes, a characteristic feature of which is a sudden and unpredictable development. Due to the disorder, the trachea begins to narrow rapidly, sometimes shrinking to a size that impedes the passage of air. The narrowing of the lumen of the organ is accompanied by grunting, snoring and puffing of the animal, and in some cases you can hear sounds similar to quacking.
The inability to breathe normally causes shortness of breath in the dog, the mucous membranes of the oral cavity gradually turn blue or acquire a plum hue, which indicates a strong oxygen deficiency in the body. If this condition is observed for half an hour or an hour, the pet may fall into a coma or, after appropriate therapy, it will suffer from periodic seizures similar to epileptic seizures.
In the case when the tracheal collapse is associated with a serious pathology or the rings of the organ have received severe mechanical damage, in order to improve the condition of the dog, it is necessary to replace the damaged parts of the trachea with suitable implants made of synthetic materials. The complexity of the operation does not allow it to be carried out in all veterinary clinics, but if there is such an opportunity, it is worth trying to save the dog’s life.
Paroxysmal, or reverse breathing
This pathology refers to paroxysmal disorders and is characterized by a variety of sounds: grunting, squelching, puffing or wheezing. All of them usually do not pose a serious threat to the animal, so the fears of its owner are often in vain. In rare cases, symptoms similar to choking are added to the usual symptoms of an attack, and, in addition to unusual sounds, the owners may notice additional external manifestations of the disorder:
- the dog spreads its paws wide and arches its back towards the inside;
- eyes turn red and bulge;
- the animal begins to actively shake its head from side to side, abundantly scattering saliva around the room.
A pronounced attack is characterized by a strong retraction of air currents that irritate the palate and provoke vomiting. The secreted vomit together with the inhaled air enter the lumens of the respiratory system, which can lead to such a dangerous phenomenon as aspiration pneumonia. Despite the active development of modern veterinary medicine, the likelihood of the death of the animal cannot be ruled out, therefore, in this case, complicated “reverse breathing” can be considered a dangerous phenomenon.
Infection with helminths
It is believed that helminths affect exclusively the organs of the gastrointestinal tract, rarely affecting other parts of the abdominal cavity of the animal. The intestines are indeed a favorite place of these parasites, but do not forget about certain species that can affect the liver and lungs. In the latter case, with an increase in the colony of worms, there will be a disturbance in the measured breathing of the dog, which is often accompanied by grunting or snoring during sleep. For puppies, the presence of lung parasites can be fatal, since as a result of the destruction of organ tissues, they literally suffocate. Progressive helminthic infestation can kill all dog droppings.
After getting into the lungs, the eggs of the nematodes begin to feed and develop quickly, but as soon as the young parasites grow up and get stronger, they migrate to the intestines, where their “adult life” passes with further reproduction. While the larvae of the worms are in the lung tissues, they severely injure them, and the toxic substances they release irritate the mucous membranes of the respiratory system. A dog infected with helminths begins to cough and sneeze, and in young individuals these signs are more noticeable. Gurgling and wheezing sounds emanating from the pet are explained by the complexity of the movement of air flows through irritated and damaged walls of the respiratory system. Without consulting a doctor, it is impossible to help a pet, and every day of delay will bring it closer to a severe form of bronchial inflammation and pneumonia.
The dog makes sounds like choking
Why does a dog grunt, wheeze and gasp, what to do while doing this
Grunting and snoring dogs seem to many owners to be very cute and funny, but do not forget that such sounds may indicate a violation of the pet’s health. What types of snoring should be distinguished, what they can tell the owner, and how to help your pet in case of a critical condition. this will be discussed in this article.
Varieties of wheezing in dogs
Not in all cases, snoring of dogs is characterized by the same sound, therefore, based on what he heard, it will be easier for the owner to determine the root cause of this phenomenon and find effective methods for solving the problem that has arisen.
There are several main types of pet wheezing:
- Dry. usually explained by a narrowing of the lumen in the bronchi or trachea, which, in turn, can be triggered by the presence of too thick secretions. Unusual sounds are clearly audible both during inhalation and exhalation, however, in the latter case, they reasonably seem louder. Dry wheezing is often observed when the airways are obstructed due to a foreign object or bronchitis.
- Wet wheezing appear as a result of the accumulation of various organic fluids in the lungs or respiratory tract: blood, mucus or purulent exudate. Since air is forced to pass through them when inhaling or exhaling, its movement slows down significantly, and the process itself is accompanied by gurgling sounds. This sound is usually observed with pulmonary hemorrhage, edema, bronchopneumonia.
- Crepitant wheezing characteristic of the expansion of the alveoli with air. They are often heard on exhalation if the dog has pneumonia or fibrosis.
- Inspiratory wheezing, which is also often heard as a whistle, is loud breathing that is usually caused by a narrowing of the airway. This symptom is typical for brachycephalic syndrome, paralysis of the vocal cords, and can also appear as a result of a foreign body entering the trachea.
Feature of the breed
The brachycephalic group is quite extensive and includes more than a dozen breeds, a common characteristic feature of which is a shortened, sometimes strongly flattened facial part of the head. Such anatomical structure of the muzzle often makes dogs snore, puff, grunt, snort and groan strangely, both during physical exertion and during rest. It is a little more difficult for them to draw air through a shortened nasopharynx than for relatives with elongated muzzles, which becomes the main reason for this condition.
Many veterinarians do not consider the anatomical features of the brachycephalic skull to be a factor of increased risk for the development of certain diseases of the respiratory system. But in practice, such animals tolerate heat and stuffiness much worse: trying to cool themselves, the pet does not just grunt, but can make sounds similar to choking its own saliva. If you do not help the dog in time, it is unlikely that heatstroke will be avoided.
During the growth and development of a brachycephalic puppy, palatal tissue collapse is often observed, which significantly complicates the breathing of the animal. You cannot do without professional veterinary care here, because to resume normal breathing, you will have to surgically remove excess tissue. The lack of a timely response to the problem leads to the development of pathological processes in the lungs, heart muscle and vascular system. Some of them can be expressed in loss of consciousness or impaired coordination of movement of the animal.
Representatives of such a “risk group” in this case are the following popular dog breeds:
- bulldogs (French, English and even American);
- shih tzu;
- Japanese Chins;
- dogue de bordeaux;
- pomeranian spitz;
With proper care of your pet, the risk of developing serious disorders in its body can be minimized, and it is likely that in its entire life the dog will not experience serious discomfort due to snoring or grunting.
Unfortunately, malignant neoplasms are not uncommon for dogs, and in some cases tumors form in the animal’s respiratory system and may well block the air flow from the outside. In such cases, the tumor acts more like a foreign body, disrupting the natural functioning of the lungs or any part of the respiratory tract.
The following manifestations should alert the owner:
- gurgling or whistling sounds gradually appearing when breathing;
- cough and any difficulty breathing in or out;
- deterioration of the general condition of the animal, in particular lethargy and apathy, often. refusal to eat;
- runny nose with the presence in the usual exudate of bloody mucus and particles of destroyed tissues.
This phenomenon from the outside can look pretty funny, because judging by the sound, it resembles a sneeze not outside, but inside the dog’s body. However, there is nothing funny about this, because the animal clearly does not experience positive sensations from such a disorder. Experts have not yet been able to accurately determine the specific cause of reverse sneezing, but there are suspicions that the genetic predisposition of brachycephalic breeds is to blame, since in 93% of cases such a disorder is diagnosed in them. If the attack itself and the strange sounds accompanying it persist for 5-10 seconds, and then disappear without a trace, you should not panic, however, it is better to contact your veterinarian for a complete examination of the dog.
As a first aid, you can perform the following simple steps:
- massage the surface of the dog’s throat;
- gently rub the nose;
- wait for the dog to catch its breath, and then give it warm water and allow it to rest.
All manipulations with the pet should be performed as calmly as possible, without sudden movements and panic, so that the animal does not get nervous. Experienced owners of brachycephalic dogs can only recognize the threat of a reverse sneeze from the dog’s grunt, but if you are unsure of the nature of the disorder, take your pet to a veterinarian who can provide some advice on caring for it.
Chokes and coughs
If an animal does not just cough, standing with its paws apart and its head tilted, but also squeals, scratches its face with its paws, its chest swells vigorously, and saliva drips from its mouth, there is a great chance that this is not just a cough, but real suffocation.
The difference is noticeable if you look closely: the pet cannot swallow, his gums gradually acquire a bluish cadaverous hue, like the tongue, his gaze cannot focus. In a minute or a half, weakness will become noticeable, and then loss of consciousness will come, and then death.
Reverse Sneezing. Not Choking
This condition occurs not only after eating, but also if the dog swallowed a foreign object: a button, a sock, a piece of bone, a Lego element and he, instead of going into the stomach, blocked his throat.
In this case, the veterinarian will not help, because he will not have time. First aid is provided independently.
Causes by symptoms
Different symptoms indicate different lesions. It is important to evaluate it before starting to do something: if you try to help a dog that has not choked with the methods used for choking, the result can be injury and aggravation of the condition. Often, first aid is not needed at all: instead, you will need a visit to the veterinarian.
First aid technique
First, there are actions that are unacceptable if the dog chokes:
- You can’t hit on the back. This is the most famous first aid method and at the same time the most ineffective. It is so easy for a small dog to injure the spine, and in addition, often the use of this technique ends with the fact that a foreign object falls even further into the trachea, from where it is difficult to get it.
- You can’t try to give it oil. Sometimes it occurs to the owners to lubricate the throat so that the object slips out of it. Firstly, when the animal suffocates, it will still not drink. Secondly, so it will also be smeared in oil. Thirdly, there is a great chance that the object simply will not allow oil to penetrate inside. Most often it is just a waste of energy and time, which is so little.
You cannot act harshly, you cannot raise your voice or panic. the animal is so scared, seeing that the owner is panicking, it becomes completely agitated and will not be given.
There are three options that really work.
The first is the use of gravity. It is not for nothing that the dog tilts its head and stretches its neck, trying to get rid of a foreign object. It is in the power of the owner to help her: take it by the hind legs and slightly raise it. A small dog can be torn off the floor and turned upside down (while holding it by the neck so as not to damage the vertebrae). Just raise the big dog a little. Act carefully and quickly: if in a few seconds the subject did not clear its throat, then it is worth recognizing that the method did not work, and move on to the next.
The second is the Heimlich trick. This is an old, tried-and-true method that has been used by people with consistent success. You need to approach the animal from the back, hug it around the waist and find the place where the ribs end and the belly begins. Put a clenched fist there, cover your fingers with the palm of your other hand and squeeze rhythmically towards the head several times. The result will be a contraction of the esophagus, and with it the trachea, as a result of which a foreign object is likely to come out.
However, in this form, the technique is used only for large, serious breeds. Medium dogs are also fisted, but not pressed with full force, so as not to break the ribs. And for small decorative doggies, pressing is done with two fingers at all, hugging with palms.
It is advised to act in series of 3 jerks, with a break of a couple of seconds. If after the third series there is no result, the technique is performed incorrectly. or something sharp is stuck in the trachea that clings to the mucous membrane.
The third is to manually remove the foreign object. Used only if there is a dog, someone to keep, and only if it is large enough. In addition, the owner should be confident in his actions and his hands should not tremble.
The dog’s mouth is opened and the owner, illuminating himself with a flashlight, tries to see a foreign object. If possible, pulls it out with tweezers. The main thing is not to hurt the mucous membranes.
Do not use the technique to treat very small dogs, and also if the dog is actively panicking and breaks out so that it is impossible to keep.
If a foreign object came out, but the dog managed to lose consciousness, you should check the pulse on the artery in the neck. If it is not palpable, you need to start cardiopulmonary resuscitation:
- lay the dog on its right side, so that the heart is at the top, and the legs are relaxed stretched out;
- remove vomit and blood from the mouth, if they are there. you can use a cotton pad or your own fingers wrapped in gauze;
- tilt the animal’s head back slightly so that the throat straightens;
- put your palm on your chest, behind the knee of the front paw, and cover with the second palm;
- make 15 quick, rhythmic clicks. the normal rhythm of a dog’s heart is 15 beats in 10 seconds, and you need to adhere to it;
- with a quick movement, clamp the mouth (the thumb is under the jaw, the rest cover the muzzle) and make 5 shallow breaths into her nose;
- repeat pressing on the chest, after inhaling again, pressing again and inhaling again
If all goes well, breathing will resume, as will your heartbeat. In any case, a veterinarian is called in parallel: there is an ambulance veterinary aid in most cities, although it is paid. Continue resuscitation either until the heartbeat is restored, or until the arrival of a doctor who will conduct professional resuscitation.
How to Help a Choking Dog
You cannot interrupt, since the process is needed not only to start the heart, but also to keep the brain alive until help arrives.
If it was possible to pull out the object before the dog lost consciousness, it remains only to calm it down and show it to the veterinarian. He will assess whether there is damage to the mucous membrane, and, if necessary, prescribe an anti-inflammatory agent.
It is also best to feed the pet food that is not too hot for the next few days and avoid stress. Let him come to his senses.
What to do
If the dog coughs not after eating and without wheezing, then most likely he has not choked. If he can swallow, then the situation is also far from critical. And everything else is decided by the veterinarian:
- if a foreign body gets into the larynx and the animal constantly coughs up, the doctor will take out the object with the help of thin tweezers;
- if the dog has bronchitis, pleurisy or pneumonia and he slowly coughs hoarsely, prescribes antibiotics, anti-inflammatory drugs, supportive drugs and an analogue of human bed rest;
- if his lungs are infected with worms, he will take an analysis and write out funds that will help against a specific type of parasite;
- if he has heart failure and is constantly coughing, as if grunting, the doctor will advise sedatives and tonics, as well as diuretics, a special diet and a limited amount of physical activity;
- if he suffers from a viral or bacterial infection, antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs will be prescribed;
- if he is allergic, a special diet and medications will be prescribed, which, in his case, will easily and quickly relieve the swelling;
- if he has a congenital tracheal spasm, drugs will be prescribed that relax the muscles and remove the spasm, plus treatment of the cause.
But if the dog is choking and suffocating, there will not be enough time for a trip to the veterinarian. or to call the doctor at home, since the counting does not even go for minutes. The owner must use one of the techniques designed specifically for such a case.
Coughs and wheezes
If the dog is not gasping for breath, but coughs and wheezes, this can be due to various reasons:
- Moist wheezing is due to the presence of fluid in the lungs. And it, in turn, becomes the result of bronchitis, pneumonia and other pulmonary diseases, or lung injury.
- A wheezing wheezing occurs when air has difficulty passing through the trachea. That is, with a spasm, with edema, which is caused by exposure to poison, drugs or allergies, or if something is stuck in it.
Dry, quiet wheezing accompanies a cough in cardiovascular diseases. The pet is not able to run quickly and walk for a long time, the heart ceases to cope and a dry cough is the way the body tries to deliver at least a little more air to the lungs. Is accompanied by wheezing. Occurs in animals that are obese, have a predisposition, or are simply old.
Does the dog cough as if it choked? The main reasons and what to do
In the article we will talk about the reasons for such a cough, what the owner and the first aid technician need to do.
Coughs and spits up saliva
If the dog not only coughs, but also spits up. usually with white foam or clear saliva. this may indicate poisoning, rabies, or helminthic invasion in the lungs.
In case of poisoning, the owner is usually able to remember what the pet ate or how he breathed so much that he was poisoned. In addition, stool disturbances, fever, lack of appetite and abdominal pain are observed.
In case of rabies, the owner, again, is usually able to remember who bit the dog like that or where it was injured in order to bring the pathogen into the body. Additional symptoms are photophobia, fear of water, inappropriate behavior, exhaustion, and out of focus gaze. A complete lack of appetite, plus the dog ceases to recognize anyone and may even rush. Read more about rabies in dogs.
With helminthic invasion, the appetite persists, but the animal still looks emaciated. The wool loses its shine and hangs like icicles, lethargy and lack of interest in games are noticeable, blood is found in the feces and it itself is mostly liquid. The dog prefers to sleep most of the day.
The main causes of difficulty breathing
The dog grunts for several reasons. Sometimes this does not cause problems, does not affect the quality of life of the pet. Often, a similar symptom appears with allergic reactions. At the same time, the animal’s eyes are watery, they can blush, the dog sneezes and grunts. So he can react to the bites of certain insects or to a change in the diet. In some cases, difficulty breathing is a symptom of dangerous diseases.
Infection with parasites
Worms live not only in the intestines, some species prefer to settle in the lungs. They cling to the walls, injuring the mucous membrane, destroying the bronchi. After the parasites begin their activity, they release substances that damage the tissues. As a result, the animal begins to cough. This further irritates the mucous membranes of the organs, and the condition worsens. The dog is breathing with difficulty, gurgling and grunting is heard.
Note! If you do not get rid of parasites, they can lead to poisoning of the body. Pet may suffocate if left untreated.
The dog grunts as if choking and choking
Dog owners often hear their pets grunt and make other, previously unfamiliar sounds. To understand why this is happening, it is better to show the dog to the veterinarian. The reason may lie in the particular structure of the nasopharynx, which, for example, explains the grunting of Yorkshire terriers, and may indicate the presence of pathology.
Paroxysmal, or reverse, breathing is observed exclusively in males. An attack, when the dog wheezes, grunts and seems to be gasping for breath, scares the owners, because strange sounds are not the only thing that changes in the behavior of the animal:
- the dog spreads its paws wide and at the same time strongly arches its back;
- his face takes on a frightening expression, his eyes turn red;
- he begins to shake his head intensely from side to side, so that drooling everywhere.
Such a condition is dangerous because the dog inhales air strongly, it irritates the palate and this can provoke vomiting. At this time, the animal grunts, pulling the contents of the oral cavity back. This can allow vomit to enter the lungs, leading to pneumonia.
Mechanical damage and foreign bodies
Outdoors, while exploring the surrounding area, your dog may inhale something, such as a piece of paper or a small rock. An unknown object can damage the mucous membrane, which will cause at least unpleasant sensations for the dog.
- the animal begins to breathe with its mouth, keeps it constantly open;
- the dog begins to cough, which occurs in fits, as if he is trying to belch something;
- the dog constantly sniffs and touches it with its paws;
- there is blood in the saliva.
Also, the animal may refuse food and food. Foam sometimes comes out of the nose.
If grunting sounds appeared after a walk, then a foreign body is the first thing to think about when looking for the cause of the ailment.
Important! You should not try to get the object on your own, you can push it deeper, which will cause breathing problems or may scratch the mucous membrane. Better to trust the professionals and go with the animal to the veterinary clinic.
Reverse sneezing is common in dogs with a short snout. This is one of the characteristics of the rocks, which is associated with spasms of the tissues of the soft palate.
Note! Veterinarians say that you should not panic in such cases, especially if the attack lasts only a few seconds, and after that the dog returns to normal life.
To help the animal recover, you need to remember simple rules that will relieve an attack:
- you need to gently rub the nose;
- slowly and gently massage the surface of the throat.
After the attack is over, you need to give your pet warm water.
Collapse of the trachea
When the trachea collapses, its sharp and strong narrowing occurs. It may be that there will be practically no lumen left, and the animal will begin to suffocate. Before that, it will wheeze, grunt and make sounds resembling quacking. Do not hesitate to see a doctor, the dog may need to be intubated by inserting a tube into the trachea. Sometimes this is the only way to get the breathing back and save the pet’s life. Only specialists can provide emergency assistance.
Important! In any case, if the animal breathes only with its mouth and wheezes, and its mucous membranes turn blue, you should not hesitate. The dog can fall into a coma, and even if he is saved, this episode will affect his health in the future.
For pets of dwarf breeds, as well as for brachycephals, a special structure of the pharynx and respiratory apparatus is characteristic. This anomaly is considered congenital. due to a too soft palate, a sharp sip or inhalation leads to a contraction of the larynx. At this point, the palatine tissues block the airways for a short moment, and the dog gasps and wheezes as if choking. Fortunately, the problem resolves itself after a few seconds.
Brachycephalic syndrome in tetrapods is expressed in noisy breathing, up to wheezing or snoring at rest.
The main causes of difficulty breathing
What to do if your dog chokes and coughs?
Observing his pet, an attentive owner will immediately notice when something is wrong with him. If the dog chokes, then first aid should be provided to her immediately. Usually, at such times, the pet may have a cough or shortness of breath. And any owner should know what to do in such a situation and how to quickly help a four-legged friend, because the count literally goes on for seconds and you should act immediately.
In addition to coughing and breathing problems, there may be other signs that your dog is choking. Symptoms of this can be refusal to eat and water, panic and fuss in the pet’s behavior, attempts to rub its face and neck with its paws, while its head is directed downward. There may be profuse salivation, sometimes even with blood, cramping and bloating of the intestines, weakness, up to loss of consciousness. In addition to rapid breathing, this condition is characterized by red eyes, dry nose and bluish tinge of the tongue.
Ingestion of a foreign body in the respiratory tract
Dogs are naturally curious creatures, so they tend to grab various objects in their mouths that can play a cruel joke with them. Stuck in the throat, little things can lead to suffocation, as a result of which the dog begins to choke and wheeze. This often happens during the game, when the pet is chasing a ball, stick or other toys.
But another common reason for a dog to choke and cough can be food if it was swallowed with greed or simply got “down the other throat.” A dog can choke on too large a piece of meat, as well as bone from fish or meat that is stuck in the throat or even dry food.
Some dog breeds are distinguished by a special speed in eating food, regardless of the degree of their hunger. they always eat that way, trying to get satiated as soon as possible. A very hungry animal or pet, which the owner leaves without food for a long time, greedily pounces on food as soon as it is given to him. And no wonder she ends up in her windpipe or gets stuck.
Dry food can choke both an adult and a puppy. Particles of such food, being moistened with saliva, are compressed into a too large piece and simply get stuck in the throat. Coughing, the dog makes sounds as if choking, but cannot spit out the adhering lump. It is better to choose dry food in the form of large granules. The pet will be forced to gnaw them before swallowing.
Owners with several members of the canine family, as well as owners of shelters and kennels, are well aware of what competition between animals is. Among the dogs, there are many who try to eat their own portion as soon as possible in order to have time to feast on the contents of the neighbor’s bowl. This concept of behavior is often a survival principle that manifests itself even when the dog is in favorable conditions and receives sufficient food. But with such “eternally hungry” brothers, smaller situations when they choke on food in a hurry occur quite often.
The cause of the cough can also be a cold or an inflammatory disease, as a result of which the dog does not choke on anything, but his throat is sore and feels very dry, causing a cough, with which the dog tries to calm the irritation. In such cases, it is necessary to treat the underlying disease, and after recovery, the cough will disappear.
Most of the injuries that a four-legged friend receives in various negative situations. be it a bite from a larger individual, an accident associated with a fall from a height or being hit by a car. is characterized by damage to the chest and organs located in it. Such injuries can be accompanied by the accumulation of air in the chest of the animal, which also leads to breathing problems. the dog cannot breathe and medical intervention is indispensable in such a situation. Sometimes it is enough to blow air through a small puncture, in more difficult cases, surgery is required.
Collapse of the trachea
Breathing problems are common in small breeds such as the Chihuahua. Various malformations, congenital or acquired, cause the soft tissues of the trachea to become inflamed and softened. And then the dog coughs, as if choking, it has shortness of breath, and during the meal, vomiting may appear. As a result, the dog may begin to refuse food and water.