In what cases is fasting the norm?
In some cases, refusal of a pet from food is not a deviation and a cause for concern, below are some of them.
- Illness and malaise. During times when your dog is sick, food is the last thing on his mind. Do not focus on this and annoy her excessively. Sometimes she knows better when to refuse a meal. It is better to direct your attention and care to the treatment of the pet and then his mood will surely return to normal.
- Pregnancy and postpartum period. At this time, serious changes take place in the dog’s body due to the large amount of hormones. She can gain a lot of weight or, conversely, lose weight, so a short-term lack of appetite should not surprise you. It’s another matter if the dog refuses water and breathes heavily. In this case, she may indeed have problems.
- Excess nutrients in the body. It happens that the dog’s body is oversaturated with proteins, fats and carbohydrates, and he needs something like a short break. Do not force her to eat by force and soon she herself will express such a desire.
- Bad mood. Dogs also have their own problems: lack of attention, too short, or vice versa, an active walk. Mood swings and blues can cause short-term refusal to eat, but dogs usually miss one meal at a time.
Any refusal to eat within 2 days is already a reason to consult a doctor, and if there are other symptoms, then you need to contact immediately, and not watch the animal for a week, as many like.
Refusal of food and water, lethargy in a dog: how to help a pet?
If your dog suddenly refuses to eat, do not sound the alarm prematurely. Perhaps the abnormally hot weather is to blame, but if the reason is different, then the pet needs help as soon as possible. Of course, for many, this can be a very problematic task, but we will help you find out the reasons why the dog does not eat and is sluggish, and also tell you in what cases this condition is the norm.
Ways to normalize your pet’s appetite
If the dog refuses to eat, then it is not so easy to normalize its appetite. You will have to work hard, but the reward for persistence will be improving her condition.
So, let’s look at a few ways to regain your habitual appetite.
- When a dog is not eating anything due to stress or shock, it is unlikely that it constantly drags its hind legs with it. In this case, attention and affection will be the best means of restoring appetite. Spend more time with her and soon she will be interested in food again.
- With a sharp change in diet, new foods and feeds should be introduced gradually. Your dog should completely trust you and try a little new food. In this case, she will accept new items with curiosity and will not give up food and water.
- If the dog refuses food, water, and at the same time its hind legs give way and shake, then you urgently need to go to the doctor. Such symptoms may indicate a tick bite or be the result of a serious illness. An accurate diagnosis can only be made in a hospital, so do not hesitate a second.
- Well, if the dog does not eat anything because of the great finickyness, then just indulge it less. Seriously though, feed her balanced food at the same time so that she develops a peculiar instinct. And yes, indeed, indulge her less with all sorts of sweets that kill her appetite.
The main causes of hunger strikes and lethargy
To understand why a dog does not eat, consider the main reasons that affect its condition.
- Incorrectly selected feed. Refusal to eat can be caused by a sharp change in the usual diet or the introduction of unfamiliar foods. If your dog does not eat the offered food, but readily reacts to all sorts of delicacies, you should not sound the alarm. It is likely that such a protest will not last long and in the near future her appetite will resume.
- Stress. It can be triggered by many different factors: a long move, new housing, hypothermia, or a long absence of one of the family members. Much here depends on the psychological state of the dog, and if it is overly susceptible, then stress can become a real reason for refusing food.
- Digestive problems. When an active dog suddenly becomes lethargic, lies a lot and breathes heavily, this may be due to problems with the gastrointestinal tract. If at the same time she also vomits, then urgent measures are needed.
- Cold. Your pet can easily catch a cold, not only in winter, but also in summer, when you least expect it. To confirm or deny your suspicions, measure the temperature.
- The presence of parasites or infection with infectious diseases. If the dog does not eat or drink soon after walking, then it is possible that he has picked up a tick. If it is not found in time, the puppy may fall to its feet from weakness resulting from piroplasmosis (from a tick) or anemia (from a horde of fleas). The latter are capable of infecting not only the internal organs, but also the front and hind legs, and generally cause many bad consequences from which your puppy can die.
- Advanced age. At the “sunset” of a stormy life, not every pet can remain active. Therefore, if a dog does not eat anything, but its age has already passed 15 years, then the reason is most likely in its old age.
- False pregnancy. If the owner is sure that the dog is healthy and its hunger strike is a whim, then it makes sense to go on a starvation diet, and then reduce the feed rate. reasons why the dog refuses to eat, you will learn from the video from the channel Me and My Tail.
Often, at home, it is not always possible to quickly and correctly diagnose the disorder, as a result of which the puppy is breathing heavily, vomiting, shaking and falling on its hind legs. The best thing to do in this situation is to seek veterinary care right away. Only in this case can we hope for a positive outcome. Even with a slight delay, the condition of the dog can deteriorate sharply, and the treatment will be ineffective.
Despite the enormous danger to the health of the animal, adherents of home procedures are often found. But if your dog is not eating anything, what can you do for him without identifying the reason for the fast or doing it incorrectly? Only a specialist diagnosis using X-ray, ultrasound and laboratory tests will help to correctly determine the cause of the ailment. Remember, if you value your pet’s life, then self-medication is an extremely unwise idea.
Why does a four-legged family member refuse to eat?
Was your puppy active yesterday and refusing to eat today? There may be several reasons for this behavior, including your fault. For example, if the puppy was scared or was in some kind of stressful situation. You could accidentally hit him or yell at him, and the dog took everything too seriously.
This option is the least problematic, but if the dog refuses to eat due to poisoning, then veterinary intervention is indispensable. In this case, you need to carefully observe the behavior of the dog, and if you see that he is constantly lying, breathing heavily, periodically vomiting and shaking, then things can be really bad.
The dog does not eat anything, but is active
The animal’s mouth and larynx should be examined for injuries, diseases of the teeth, gums, and stuck objects. If everything is in order, then pay attention to nutrition and exercise. Maybe your pet is overeating and not using up all calories. In this situation, you need to increase the load, and walk more often. Feed your dog low-calorie foods and periodically “put” him on a diet. Make sure your pet’s diet is complete and varied.
The dog is lethargic and refuses food and water
The animal may not drink or eat if he does not like the food or it is of poor quality. The water may be stale. The reason for refusing to drink and water may be bowls, rearranged to another place or because the dog does not like the dishes in principle. The dog may be stressed or simply not in the mood. A dog may not drink water if it constantly eats only liquid food. She can also refuse water during the cold season. This will go away by itself, as the reasons that caused the refusal of water and drink are eliminated.
But, if against the background of these “whims” there is lethargy and the dog lies all the time, then this signals possible diseases:
- Bacterial or viral infections.
- Ear diseases.
- Diseases of the teeth, oral cavity.
- Foreign object in the oral cavity.
- The dog has undergone trauma, surgery, or chemotherapy.
Reasons for a dog’s refusal to eat
A dog’s “hunger strike” can be caused by psychological, hormonal and physiological reasons.
The most elementary explanation for this is that the dog is not hungry. Most likely, he did not run much outside and did not use up the available calories. Animals also eat little in hot weather, as the body does not have to spend a lot of energy to keep warm.
The animal may not like the food. Perhaps he was tired of the daily food or did not like the abrupt change of food. For example, if a dog always ate natural food and, suddenly, he was given dry food. The dog may go on a “hunger strike” if he senses harmful additives in the feed.
Dogs may refuse to eat when there is psychological discomfort, for example, when moving to another apartment, the appearance of another animal in the house. In a word, when a circumstance arises that disrupts the dog’s habitual lifestyle and causes stress. If the degree of psychological discomfort is low, then the anxiety soon disappears and the dog’s appetite is restored. Otherwise, the help of a specialist is needed.
Aggravation of the sexual instinct. It happens in a bitch during estrus or in the first days after mating, in males during the rut. These processes are natural and accompanying symptoms, including loss of appetite, disappear with the end of the period of exacerbation of sexual instincts. In case of severe estrus, mating or rutting, you should contact your veterinarian or dog handler.
The dog is in a bad mood or feeling. The dog can overheat in the sun, overeat the day before, and injure the oral cavity. Usually, after a couple of days, she returns to normal and begins to eat willingly.
The dog is sick. The disease can be caused by poisoning, bacteria, viruses, fungi, injuries, helminths. For instance:
- Intestinal enteritis. Characterized by high fever, diarrhea, nausea.
- There is a foreign object in the body. The situation is characterized by diarrhea or constipation, vomiting of undigested food.
- Volvulus with bloating.
- Intussusception (obstruction) of the intestine. Is accompanied by diarrhea or constipation, vomiting of blood.
- Diseases of the stomach, liver, kidneys.
- Injury, bad teeth, or a foreign object in the mouth, such as bone.
In these situations, urgent veterinary care is required.
Old dog refuses to eat
Dogs develop health problems in old age. To improve the quality of life of an aging dog, its owner should be caring and observant towards him.
Carefully examine the mouth of the animal, the problem may lie in a sore tooth, gum or wound in the mouth. If, besides refusing to eat, the dog has no other warning signs, then these tips will help your pet. Otherwise, it should be shown to the veterinarian for a complete examination.
The dog does not eat anything and vomits bile
It is easy to determine the presence of bile in vomit. they have a greenish-yellow color. Bile is a secretion of the endocrine gland and serves to facilitate the digestion of fat. It is formed in the liver. It accumulates in the gallbladder. After eating, bile flows through the ducts to the thin area of the gastrointestinal tract. Bile is aggressive. When bile enters the stomach, it irritates its walls, which provokes vomiting. Vomiting prevents the stomach wall from ulceration and perforation.
Dogs have a very well developed gag reflex. The explanation for this is their feeding habits. dogs often feed on carrion. The ability to quickly get rid of harmful food is a protective physiological reflex of the body from poisoning. Vomiting by itself in dogs is not a sign of a serious illness. But when an animal vomits bile, it refuses to eat and, as a result, it has exhaustion, pallor of the mucous membranes, “sinking” of the eyes, thinning and brittle hair. this is a symptom that signals serious health problems.
In this case, it can be:
- Worm infestation, in which worms release a huge amount of toxic substances that poison the animal’s body.
- Gastritis or intestinal inflammation.
- Poisoning with food or household chemicals.
- Oncology of the small intestine.
4 Reasons Why Your Dog Has Stopped Drinking Water
As a rule, vomiting occurs in the early morning or late evening. In the latter case, vomiting occurs at large intervals in food intake. often vomits bile of old dogs, but this happens also in puppies. Dogs of all breeds are susceptible to her, without exception. To make it easier for a specialist to establish the cause of vomiting, the owner of the dog needs to pay attention to the chronology and persistence of bile vomiting, its appetite and behavior (whining, growling, howling), the presence of diarrhea.
The dog eats nothing, but drinks a lot
This can be observed after suffering stress. fright, staying with strangers, moving to a new home. It will pass. But if, among other things, the stool and color of urine have changed in the animal, then it is possible that your pet’s intestines are affected by helminths. If so, diarrhea and vomiting will develop later. Other reasons for refusing to eat and excessive thirst are: renal failure, inflammation of the uterus, diabetes, etc. In any case, the animal should be shown to a specialist.
What to do if your dog is not hungry
If the reluctance to eat is associated with a sharp change in food, for example, the transition from natural food to dry food, then in this situation, the first time dry food should be mixed with pieces of natural food. cottage cheese, boiled meat, cheese, dairy products. If the animal does not like the food, it is necessary to find a compromise. at least in the same way, add pieces of your favorite delicacy to the dish you don’t like.
As mentioned above, if a dog’s hunger strike is caused by natural processes, then it will go away by itself when they are over. In cases of severe exacerbations of sexual instincts, veterinarians prescribe natural sedatives to dogs, made without the use of salt. If they do not provide the proper action, then a professional dog handler comes to the rescue. For example, if a dog has an intensive hair loss during the rut, there is an uncontrollable behavior and a strong weight loss is observed, then in order to equalize the level of hormones, it must be castrated. This operation is painlessly tolerated by healthy animals and does not affect their professional qualities. watchdogs. sports, hunting. True, for the possibility of castration, there is one condition. the dog must not be breeding.
Dog Won’t Eat Kibble (How to Solve The Problem)
Overeating is treated with a break in eating. A two-day fast will not harm the animal’s health. Under natural conditions, dogs can easily go without food from several days to 2-3 weeks. If the dog does not eat due to changing teeth, then solid food should be replaced with soft, moist food.
If the animal is sick, it does not matter what caused the disease. the faster the animal is examined by a specialist, the more chances it has for a speedy recovery. Otherwise, the dog may die or be disabled. For example, when a snake bites, the animal must be delivered to the veterinarian in a matter of hours. delay is fraught with fatal intoxication of the body.
During estrus, the dog does not eat anything.
During estrus (estrus), the dog’s behavior and taste preferences change. Often, she, having an excellent appetite, at this time can refuse to eat. This should not cause particular concern to the owner, but he should be especially careful to monitor his pet in order to avoid the occurrence of health problems. During this period, the animal’s hormonal level rises sharply, which affects, among other things, its appetite. Usually, with the end of heat, all body functions of the bitches return to normal.
If the period of refusal to eat is delayed for a long time and other atypical symptoms appear:
- Drinks a lot of water, or refuses it;
- The animal is lethargic or, conversely, tirelessly constantly runs around the house;
- Overly affectionate or overly aggressive
- The bitch has a hunched back;
- Trembles and breathes heavily;
- Tires quickly and wants to sleep all the time;
- The bitch has too much or too little discharge.
In this case, you need to sound the alarm and immediately show the dog to the veterinarian.
Why the dog refuses to eat?
A dog can refuse to eat for many reasons, and not all of them are an alarming sign of the disease. For example, about once a week or ten days, many dogs arrange a fasting day for themselves and do not eat even their favorite food.
The appetite and desire to move actively disappears in animals in the heat, after very serious physical exertion. Some dogs are too picky about food and are ready to starve for several days, seeking their favorite delicacies from the owner. And many bitches have less appetite during estrus.
Physical reasons for a dog’s refusal to eat and lethargy
Almost any disease in a dog is associated with loss of appetite. The animal does not feel well, is lethargic, it may have pain, nausea, depression.
- Discomfort can be caused by certain foods or their form.
- For example, with a rash on the mucous membrane of the mouth, it hurts the dog to eat dry food.
- Abdominal pain can also interfere with food intake, which the dog can associate with the food last eaten.
- Certain medications or treatments, such as chemotherapy, cause nausea. In this case, refusal to eat becomes not a symptom of the disease, but a consequence of treatment.
- Certain medications, such as antibiotics, can cause liver discomfort and stomach irritation. A dog’s reluctance to eat can cause any type of pain: from a wound, in joints, a dog after surgery. In such a situation, the dog always looks lethargic.
If in the summer you are walking with your pet and suddenly he became lethargic, lie down on the grass, the dog is breathing heavily, and at home refuses to eat his usual food, he may have experienced heatstroke.
What to do if your dog refuses to eat?
Lethargy and refusal of a dog to eat may not mean anything terrible, and it may be a sign of very serious diseases and dangerous conditions. For example, if a tick was recently found on a dog, a change in its behavior may indicate infection with piroplasmosis. This requires urgent medical attention.
The same symptoms are observed in the early stages of distemper disease. The mucous membrane of the mouth should be examined for sores or red spots, which may indicate stomatitis and other gum infections. And broken or bad teeth cause discomfort and refusal to eat. In this case, you need to contact your canine dentist.
Discharge and foul odor from the ears may indicate an ear infection, which is often associated with a dog’s allergies. The animal must be transferred to hypoallergenic food and taken to the veterinarian. If the dog is already undergoing a course of treatment and after taking medications or manipulations, it has become lethargic and has lost its appetite, you can consult your doctor if it is possible to replace any medications.
If the dog does not find a place for itself, it clearly hurts to lie down, it gets up and arches its back, this indicates that it has a stomach ache. This may indicate diseases of the stomach, liver, intestines or kidneys. Also, that the dog is in pain will show:
- labored breathing,
All these conditions require immediate consultation with a veterinarian, since there are situations when an operation may be needed and an urgent call to the veterinarian at home, for example, with volvulus.
Lack of appetite during estrus or pregnancy in bitches
In males and bitches, interest in food disappears during the mating period. Sexual instinct is at its peak thanks to the release of hormones. Females usually stop eating a couple of days before the onset of estrus, as well as on the second and third days after mating. Males also forget about food during the rut. After a decline in sexual activity, appetite returns to normal.
If the dog refuses to eat before giving birth, this should not bother the owner. This behavior is the first sign of impending labor. Pitomitsa does not go to the bowl of food, drinks very little. Some bitches have occasional vomiting or diarrhea when labor approaches, but the dog does not look sick. However, if vomiting is repeated, the female whines, shows anxiety, loses consciousness, her body temperature drops or rises, she urgently needs to be taken to the veterinarian. Such symptoms pose a threat to the life of the dog and its offspring.
Diseases of the internal organs
If the pet refuses to feed, this may be due to pathologies of the digestive system. Inflammatory processes in the esophagus, stomach, intestines cause pain and discomfort in the dog, which increases after a meal. The pet instinctively reads fear of food and approaches its bowl less and less.
The most common diagnosis in dogs is gastritis. This disease occurs due to a poor diet, a violation of the diet, helminthic invasion, the use of poor-quality feed, a lack of essential trace elements in food. Sometimes the development of gastritis and ulcerative lesions of the digestive tract can provoke a stressful situation. In diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, the following symptoms can be observed in the animal:
- decreased appetite;
- decrease in body weight;
- vomiting with particles of undigested food;
- tarnishing of the coat;
- bad breath;
- increased gassing.
It is very important to monitor the behavior and well-being of animals when they lose interest in food. This sign may indicate the development of a viral infection, poisoning, intestinal obstruction and other diseases. Pathological conditions are usually accompanied by additional symptoms. In this case, the dog must be shown to a specialist as soon as possible.
When poisoned, the dog sharply loses interest in food, does not want to drink, he has profuse vomiting. The pet is breathing heavily, looks emaciated, does not get up. The condition can gradually stabilize, but it can also deteriorate rapidly. It depends on the cause of the poisoning. The owner should remember everything that the dog has used during the last hours. Perhaps she could have swallowed something while walking.
It is necessary to check the integrity of the packaging of household chemicals. Dogs often play with objects that catch their eye, which is why it is so important to always remove medicines, detergents and other hazardous substances out of the reach of animals.
Intestinal obstruction of various etiologies
Bowel obstruction can be caused by a variety of reasons. A pet can get sick under the following conditions:
- eating sharp tubular bones or inedible objects during the game;
- blockage of blood vessels;
- helminthic invasion.
Most often, foreign objects enter the gastrointestinal tract of puppies, as they do not always understand what to eat. Kids swallow plastic, rubber parts, chew plastic bags. In adult dogs, the blockage of the intestinal lumen is caused by bones or parasites.
Infringement occurs with the formation of a hernia or volvulus of the stomach. Vascular embolism results from accumulation of fat or air.
Reducing the need for food in growing puppies and older dogs
In puppies, as in older dogs, the need for food can decrease for various reasons. Growing toddlers sometimes eat less than usual, simply because they cannot cope with new foods. Another factor affecting a puppy’s appetite is teeth change. At this time, small pets have gum pain, milk teeth become unstable, so it becomes difficult for dogs to chew not only dry food, but also regular food. You can help the puppy if you introduce well-cooked cereals into the diet. The kid will be happy to gobble up soft food that does not require chewing.
Older dogs are not as active as young dogs. They run less, almost never play with children or other animals, and spend most of their time in a state of rest or sleep. In older animals, metabolic processes slow down, so they do not need as much energy as in previous years. Because of these physiological changes, dogs eat significantly less in old age. A small portion of food is enough for them to feel full.
Often the reason that a pet refuses to eat at an age is chronic diseases. To maintain the health of your beloved elderly dog, you can keep his body in good shape with walks and special exercises designed for this category of dogs. To facilitate the assimilation of food, you need to feed the old people with soft foods, introduce low-calorie foods into the diet, and reduce the amount of carbohydrates.
The most dangerous viral disease that most often affects puppies under the age of 1.5 years is enteritis. The infection progresses quickly, so it is important to provide timely assistance to the animal. Refusal to eat and diarrhea are the first symptoms of enteritis. The pet’s well-being worsens due to inflammation of the intestinal mucous membranes. The color of the stool becomes greenish-brown, and emptying occurs frequently. Constant vomiting leads to dehydration. When probing the abdomen, there is a strong tension. Weak puppies die in one day.
Another serious viral disease is distemper. Its peculiarity is that symptoms appear 4–5 days after infection. The characteristic symptoms of distemper are:
- lack of interest in food;
- the desire for solitude in a dark room;
- mucous discharge from the eyes and nose;
- temperature is about 40 degrees;
- rippling of the coat.
Later, the dog’s hind legs give way. Animals have no chance of survival without the help of a veterinarian.
What is the owner to do?
The main thing is constant observation. It should be organized in such a way as to track the condition of the animal throughout the day. During this period, it is worth repeatedly offering the dog fresh food, perhaps the refusal from it occurs due to spoilage. For example, soaked dry food should not be left in a bowl throughout the day. Sour pellets cause many animals to stop eating.
Important: you must contact a veterinary clinic no later than 36 hours after refusing to eat an adult dog, for a puppy this period is 48 hours. These are the extreme recommended times. Better if the conversion happens even faster.
Reasons why a dog refuses to eat
Most dogs have a good appetite. Refusal of favorite food is a signal to the owner that it is necessary to closely observe the further feeding behavior of the pet. True, among dogs there are also those who, by their nature, are small-toed and capricious in food. Therefore, not every refusal to eat should cause panic. From the article you will find out in what cases it is worth immediately contacting the veterinarian ha finding out the reason for the “hunger strike”, and when you can let go of the situation and observe a little.
The dog is lethargic and does not eat
If the dog becomes more and more lethargic, spends more time in his place, refuses to play and does not run happily for a walk. a reason to contact the veterinarian. Although, there are dogs with a phlegmatic temperament, which are absolutely not characterized by jumping and joyful running around the house. Each owner is almost immediately able to notice changes in behavior, you just need to be a little more attentive.
It is worth conducting a test. give your favorite dog a piece of his favorite treat. If he reaches for food, but at the last moment refuses it. visit the veterinarian immediately. Most likely, he cannot swallow his favorite food due to nausea or injury. Nausea may indicate intoxication of the body and developing diseases.
Important: do not delay visiting the clinic. many diseases develop too rapidly and you may simply not have time to provide assistance.
When contacting, it is worth helping the veterinarian in collecting data. I come to the clinic armed with detailed information about the condition of the dog. For this, they keep records during the observation period, where they enter:
- data on the diet, the selected feed;
- the presence or absence of vaccinations. recent antiparasitic treatments;
- date and estimated time of the first refusal of the portion;
- information about the refusal of the dog from all foods or selective fasting;
- information about the ability to swallow food. At the very beginning of the refusal, offer a treat, here it is important to understand whether the dog has the ability to swallow what is offered, there are also difficulties with the process;
- the animal also refuses water or drinks greedily and cannot get drunk;
- observation of the dog’s stool: presence or absence, diarrhea, change in color, shape;
- the presence or absence of vomiting or urging. If available, record color, frequency and consistency.
All information can be memorized if desired, but, rather, the owner himself will experience stress when contacting a doctor. Therefore, it is more reliable to record the observation data. Such information will greatly facilitate the process of examination and diagnosis, save valuable time.
While staying active
An active animal almost never refuses food or goodies, even if there is no hunger.
Possible reasons for refusing to eat while maintaining active behavior:
- intensive growth. The question often arises. why does a healthy puppy refuse to eat? If the baby misses one or two meals, it’s okay. It grows, the number of necessary feedings gradually decreases;
- fussy. This is especially true for miniature breeds, which are often capricious and choose tastier food. Refusing food, such dogs simply expect a more delicious offering;
- serious physical activity. It is common for dogs to refuse to eat if the day before they have been intensively trained or trained;
- the influence of hormones. Often bitches in heat will ignore the bowl of food. The same applies to males in the event that a bitch in heat is encountered during a walk;
- stressful situation. Dogs can experience stress from a variety of situations: moving to a new home, traveling by car. to the veterinarian, staying at the hotel for animals for a certain period. The dog can refuse both food and water.
- not the right menu. The pet, for example, refuses to eat dry food. There may be several reasons: the product has deteriorated and is bitter, the diet is simply not liked, or the dog lacks water.
All these reasons, subject to the active behavior of the dog, cannot last long. When changing feed or after a while, the dog will still show interest in the bowl.
Physiological reasons for refusing food
If your dog refuses food and water, is lethargic and weak, it is possible that there is stress in his life that has caused the malfunction of the body. Physiological reasons include the following:
- aggressive behavior of the owner, his cries and the use of physical force in relation to the animal;
- introduction of new products into the diet;
- moving to a new place of residence or rearranging the room, this is especially true if the little puppy is lethargic and does not eat food;
- a feeling of discomfort in the mouth. teeth are cutting or falling out;
- estrus in bitches or hunting for cables;
- heat, extreme cold, or cloudy weather.
A common reason for refusing to eat animals is undergoing surgery or medication. After that, the dog lies and does not get up, experiences severe weakness.
Note! If the loss of interest in eating food is caused by a physiological reason, no treatment is needed, it is enough to provide her with good rest and a calm atmosphere at home, after a few days the dog’s strength will fully recover.
The dog may feel sad even due to rearrangement in the apartment.
Causes of loss of activity and appetite
Refusal to eat in a dog can be a signal of the development of a serious illness that requires treatment, or physiological changes in the body. You can distinguish one condition from another by its characteristic features.
When the dog refuses food and water is normal
If the dog has stopped eating and walks sluggishly, this may be the norm in the following cases:
- pregnancy. In the first days, the body of the bitch experiences hormonal changes, against this background, she may look depressed and constantly burp. She can refuse to eat before and after childbirth. It is considered normal if her nose temporarily becomes cold;
- bitches in heat. Most often, this symptom appears in German Shepherds. The dog begins to think only about sexual desire, so it does not feel hunger. During this period, it becomes nervous and excitable;
- rapid growth of the body. This is one of the most common safe reasons why the puppy is not eating, drinking and lying down all the time;
- overwork. The animal may stop eating after grueling training. Along with this, it can start to constantly sleep and look tired.
Another harmless reason for the dog’s refusal to replenish the body with food is his personal taste preferences. The dog can happily consume his favorite treats, but at the same time he will not even touch natural products.
For your information! It often happens that a toy terrier does not eat or drink all day. This is the most fastidious breed of dog that can refuse to eat even because she does not like the material from which the bowl is made or the consistency of the products.
Ways to normalize your pet’s appetite
If a dog stops eating and is sluggish, not all breeders know what to do in such a situation. First of all, you need to try to relieve the pet of stress on your own and normalize its nutrition. To do this, you need to do the following:
- caress him more often and play your favorite games;
- do not give treats between meals;
- refresh the water in the bowl every day;
- give the animal only dry, liquid food or natural products at one meal, without mixing them with each other.
If the dog was normal in the morning and cannot get up in the evening, you should be alert
Veterinarians recommend feeding the animal at the same time. Firstly, it disciplines him, and secondly, the dog will reflexively feel hunger and run to the bowl at the right time. You should not drastically change the pet’s diet, each new product should be added carefully, gradually increasing its amount.
Important! With the right approach, if the lack of appetite is not associated with pathology, then it should return to normal within 3-5 days. If the dog does not eat and is sluggish, the hind legs give way for more than a week, you should definitely consult your veterinarian about this.
What not to do
Often the owners ask what to do if the dog is not eating anything, is lethargic and begins to rumble, while its limbs may shake and accompanying symptoms appear. The first thing not to do is try to force feed the dog and scold the dog. From this she will experience even more stress, and her condition will worsen.
Diseases due to which the pet refuses to eat
If the dog does not eat food, this can cause pathology and the development of a serious illness that requires immediate treatment. There are several common diseases that cause loss, total or partial, of appetite:
- food poisoning. If a dog or puppy does not eat anything and is lethargic, constantly lies, it is worth remembering what he ate the day before. Due to an upset stomach, the pet can breathe heavily, squeak when pressing on the stomach. Profuse vomiting or diarrhea is a common symptom. The most dangerous poisoning is poisons or chemicals that the dog can eat while walking. In this case, intoxication of the body occurs, the dog’s well-being is rapidly deteriorating, immediate assistance of a veterinarian is required;
- infection. The dog lies and does not get up, what could be? A common reason for a change in her eating habits is the disease enteritis, to which small pets under the age of 1.5 years are more susceptible. Associated symptoms include red eyes, inflammation of the mucous membranes, a hard stomach, and discoloration of stools. The dog can constantly vomit, because of which it begins to rapidly lose weight;
- plague. Another dangerous disease in which there is a loss of appetite in the dog and severe lethargy. When walking, her hind legs can buckle, hair gradually begins to fall out, and the body temperature can increase to 40 ° C;
- intestinal blockage. Occurs when the dog has swallowed an oblong object. The pain becomes so severe that she begins to whine constantly and stops sleeping;
- heatstroke. Often because of this, the puppy suffers. does not eat and is lethargic for several days.
Important! Loss of appetite is a common symptom in diseases of the internal organs. In the event of an animal’s illness, you should not try to feed it with strength and self-medicate. It is necessary to contact the veterinarian as soon as possible: the sooner assistance is provided, the more chances of saving it.
You can’t stuff food if the dog doesn’t want to eat
The pet’s condition can deteriorate sharply several days after the tick has been removed. In this case, the dog lost appetite, and lethargy appeared due to the development of piroplasmosis. He is unable to cope with this condition on his own, so the help of a doctor is needed.
The dog stopped eating and is sluggish: what to do
The dog was active, but suddenly stopped eating, began to drag its paws and looks depressed. this condition can be both the norm and a sign of serious pathology. The first thing to do is to try to determine what caused this condition, and to observe the further well-being of the pet.
What to do if the dog is sluggish, refuses to eat
Refusal to eat, the depressed state of the pet are characteristic of other diseases. Diseases of muscles, bones, joints, blood diseases are accompanied by pain. When moving, pain occurs, hence the uncertain gait and lethargy.
Internal organs can be damaged in case of injury. Internal bleeding is life threatening, but it is impossible to visually detect it. If the animal has a fever, it trembles, it vomits, and there is blood in the vomit. contact your veterinary clinic immediately. And the best thing is to call a doctor at home, because during transportation there is a risk of further aggravating the problem.
With helminthiasis, a dog may experience bloating, bloody clots in the stool. The weakness and lethargy of the dog is explained by the intoxication of the body. worms poison it with the products of their vital activity. Therefore, the pet is not happy, refuses favorite games and treats.
If the pet not only eats badly and tries to lie down more, but at the same time he is losing weight dramatically, it is worth checking him for cancer. In recent years, cancer has often been diagnosed not only in older animals, but also in young ones. The prognosis of the development of the disease and the quality of life of the animal depends on how quickly the diagnosis is made.
Signs of a dog’s ill health can be many, they depend on the disease, they can be pronounced or appear at the later stages of the development of the disease. The sooner an attentive owner notices that the dog is behaving differently and goes to the veterinarian, the more likely it is to keep the pet healthy. But what if the dog is not eating and is sluggish? Why does she refuse to eat and what other signs should you look out for?
Signs of ill health
A healthy dog has a moist nose, clear eyes, good appetite. She is playful and active, she runs for a walk with pleasure and meets her owner at the door. But if the dog does not rush to the door, while walking, going to the toilet, seeks to get home as soon as possible, and there lies more than he walks and refuses his favorite delicacies. this is a cause for serious concern. Refusal to eat and water is the first symptom that accompanies most diseases.
Sometimes the cause can be trivial and easily eliminated, but in some cases, delay in contacting a veterinarian can have irreparable consequences.
And a healthy dog may refuse to eat. In the heat, neither people nor animals want to eat. Therefore, the pet can eat an incomplete portion or even refuse food, only drink. There are other physiological reasons why animals lose their appetite. At the same time, there are no other warning signs. an increase in body temperature, vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, etc. Changes in animal behavior can be caused by:
- tiredness. Excessive physical activity during training sessions, on a walk can lead to the fact that the dog becomes lethargic and does not eat. However, in this case, there is nothing to worry about: having rested, the pet is again cheerful and cheerful. Just let him sleep and recuperate for games;
- stress. Four-legged pets have a vulnerable soul. Many stress factors can cause refusal to eat: a change of residence, a long absence of the owner, long trips, visits to the veterinarian, the appearance of new animals or people in the house. Sometimes even changes in the weather can cause a pet’s mood swings. Then your favorite delicacies do not please;
- the quality of the feed. Stale or low-grade food can cause digestive upset and accompanying vomiting and diarrhea. The animal understands the relationship between its condition and the reasons that caused it, therefore it refuses to eat. Failure to comply with the feeding regime. handouts from the table, frequent “snacks” can also cause a loss of interest in ordinary food;
- overeating. Most often, this affects small puppies who do not feel full, so they often suffer from gluttony. This makes them lazy, lethargic. And the lack or lack of physical activity, in turn, increases the risk of obesity.
For dogs, refusal to eat for 3-5 days is not dangerous, puppies should not be hungry for more than 1 day. At the same time, it is important that the same amount of water consumed is maintained.
Dogs, like humans, can be sad. When alone for a long time, the dog can become depressed. This is manifested by a decrease in appetite or a complete refusal to eat. Representatives of some breeds themselves find what to do for them alone. For example, huskies are looking for a new use for interior items or playing “renovation”, carefully tearing wallpaper from the walls. And some, especially small dogs (Chihuahuas, toy terriers) can become deeply depressed.
With age, the dog’s physical activity decreases and behavior changes. The pet lies more, which affects the appetite. The body uses fewer calories, therefore, does not require a large amount of food to restore energy. The age that a dog is considered to be old depends on the breed: in large dogs old age begins earlier, small dogs remain active much longer.
Physiological reasons for the decreased activity of the dog, it may eat less than usual, but lie down more, include estrus, pregnancy and the puerperium. Additional symptoms will indicate this condition. With the onset of pregnancy, the dog becomes lethargic, its nipples swell, and the belly grows. In the postpartum period, the female may be lethargic, eat little or refuse to eat.
A dangerous condition is the refusal of the dog from water. Dehydration can be fatal, so if the dog does not drink, you should immediately contact your veterinarian.
Lack of physical activity can lead to the fact that the dog consumes fewer calories than they come from the food. The body does not have time to burn them, therefore the dog does not want to eat, but only drinks. Low physical activity leads to apathy, lethargy.
All these factors do not require medical attention. By eliminating the causes of depression and decreased appetite, you will have a healthy, agile dog, characterized by excellent appetite.
When to worry
Refusal to eat, lethargy and lethargy are signs of many diseases. On hot summer days, dogs often overheat in the sun and get heatstroke. Hypothermia is no less dangerous. It usually affects dogs of small breeds and animals that do not have a coat. In the cold, in a draft, you can see that the dog is shaking. Other signs of hypothermia:
- body temperature below 37.5 ° C;
- slow breathing;
- slow heart rate.
The dog can be lethargic with various diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. They are often accompanied by abdominal pain and cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea. Eating food aggravates the painful condition, provokes a new attack of pain, so the dog tries to move less and refuses to eat. Only a veterinarian can make a diagnosis after examination and a series of examinations. Depression and loss of appetite is a reason to go to a veterinary clinic.
Poisoning can have the same symptoms as in diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Intoxication can be caused by poor-quality food, drugs and poisonous substances (rat poison, for example), household chemicals, etc. Yellowing of the eyeballs, dry skin should cause alarm. Poisoning is usually accompanied by an increase in body temperature. Refusal to eat is the first sign of intoxication, which requires a visit to the veterinarian.
Another reason why you cannot ignore the behavior of a dog that refuses to eat and lies on the bed all day is the danger of contracting viral infections. Plague, viral enteritis and other diseases that can be fatal should be treated immediately. Puppies die in 90% of cases without qualified medical assistance.
Other signs by which a viral infectious disease can be suspected are:
- with distemper. photophobia, fever, ulceration of the mucous membranes, purulent discharge from the eyes, shortness of breath;
- with parvovirus enteritis. vomiting, loose stools with blood impurities, increased thirst;
- with adenovirus. redness of the mucous membranes, dry cough and wheezing, runny nose, vomiting;
- with viral hepatitis. fever, intense thirst, diarrhea and vomiting, yellowing of the skin and mucous membranes, keratitis and conjunctivitis.
With infectious diseases, if the pet refuses food and water, dehydration quickly sets in. It can kill the animal.
How can I help you
Decreased appetite, refusal to eat. this is the first “bell”, which indicates that some pathological changes are taking place in the dog’s body. You cannot ignore them. you should carefully observe a puppy or an adult dog during the day. If the symptoms only increase, and the appearance, behavior of the animal leaves no doubt that it is painful, then you cannot hesitate. In some cases, even hours are important, so self-medication can only exacerbate the problem.
If there is no reason to believe that the dog is tired, it is better to play it safe, check the health of the pet. It is better to consult a veterinarian if physiological factors are suspected. Examination, blood and urine tests, if necessary. ultrasound of the abdominal organs, X-rays will help to establish the cause of the disease.