The main cause of this type of disease is a damaged mitral valve (left side). In the lungs, fluid begins to accumulate, which, with an enlarged heart, strongly presses on the trachea. Also, cardiac cough appears as a consequence of dilated cardiomyopathy, which is characteristic of large dog breeds. In a puppy and an adult animal weighing less than 7 kg, the disease is rarely observed.
- deaf (uterine) cough;
- increasing intensity;
- decreased pet activity;
- bluish-gray color of the gums;
- fluid in the abdomen.
Cough in dogs: causes, symptoms and treatment
Pedigree pets are like small children. spontaneous, sometimes capricious, active, cheerful and requiring careful care. The owners of four-footed tomboy should be prepared for any unexpected event, in particular for recognizing the primary symptoms of various diseases. Some of these, such as the common dog cough, may be just the tip of the iceberg. Heart or lung problems, cancer, allergies. each of these diseases poses a threat to the life of the animal. We offer to study the most common causes of cough in dogs, which are easy to identify at home.
Mechanical damage and foreign bodies
Cough in dogs of a viral nature very often appears in the form of tracheobronchitis or aviary cough. The infection is quickly transmitted by interaction with a sick animal. only a few minutes of contact is enough for infection. At the initial stage of the development of the disease, the dog coughs as if it choked, over time the symptoms may worsen, the animal vomits. Medicines should only be given after consulting a veterinarian.
Cough caused by parasites
Prolonged stay of a pet, especially a puppy, in an unsanitary environment can lead to infection with toxacars and hookworms. The process begins when the animal swallows a larva or adult parasite, which then travels through the bloodstream to the lungs. A large number of parasites can cause tracheobronchitis, dirofilariasis and other inflammatory processes. Timely prophylaxis at home can save the life of a pet, because damages with dirofilariasis are poorly treated.
- increased cough in the supine position;
- deterioration in the appearance of the pet;
- increased fatigue;
- with a heart parasite. photophobia and convulsions;
- the animal cannot swallow;
- drastic weight loss.
There are several main symptoms that are harbingers of coughing and the further development of a more serious illness. Therefore, first of all, you need to do an inspection and pay attention to:
- discharge from the nose;
- drastic weight loss;
- changes in activity. lethargy, depression;
- uniformity of breathing during physical exertion;
- breathing rate during rest;
- frequent vomiting;
The dog’s gums should be examined for bleeding or sores to determine if they have become pale. Coughing in dogs is usually accompanied by fever and sneezing, and lymph nodes may become enlarged. Age and breed are also important. some animals are more prone to certain diseases, which is discussed in detail in different videos.
If a dog coughs only during a certain season of the year, it is most likely allergic. In addition, the symptom can be caused by a reaction to an insect bite, to chemicals or dust, to food. Treatment should be carried out after the final clarification of the cause of the allergy. It is easy to learn more about various allergic reactions from the training videos of famous veterinarians.
- the pet sneezes often;
- cyanosis of the gums;
- redness of the eyes;
- in rare cases. a skin rash.
Common causes of cough
Many people mistakenly believe that if a dog coughs and sneezes, it is just a mild cold. Unfortunately, this symptom can be caused by more serious reasons:
- infectious tracheobronchitis;
- collapse of the trachea;
- allergic reaction;
- heart disease;
- swelling in the lungs;
- dental disease;
- infections in the mouth;
- feature of the rocks (shortened jaw);
- parasite infestation.
Why a dog can cough as if it choked and tries to burp: diagnosis and treatment of possible pathologies
A dog’s cough does not always indicate a disease. Sometimes it appears after eating. If the dog begins to cough and tries to burp, then he choked. This symptom usually disappears quickly, immediately after the removal of the foreign object from the respiratory tract. However, sometimes a pet’s cough lasts from several hours to several days. It disappears and appears again. With such violations, it makes sense to show the pet to the veterinarian.
Animals can cough due to infectious diseases. After walking down the street in bad weather, being in a draft or drinking cold water, the dog easily picks up a respiratory infection. The most common medical conditions in domestic dogs are:
- Angina. Inflammation of the tonsils against the background of other pathologies of the oral cavity, prolonged vomiting, rhinitis, mucosal trauma. The disease makes it difficult for the animal to swallow, so it does not eat or drink water. For treatment, the pet is prescribed a course of antibiotics. If angina is accompanied by an inflammatory process in the mouth, antiseptics are used.
- Tracheobronchitis. The disease has a viral etiology and is manifested by a dry, deep cough. It looks like the dog has something stuck in the throat. Sometimes, along with the cough, the dog has a white foam. The animal does not eat well, moves a little. His temperature rises. The disease is usually mild. In rare cases, bronchitis in dogs can progress to pneumonia.
- Pneumonia. With such a disease, dogs develop a painful cough, difficulty breathing, tachycardia, and a runny nose. The animal is practically swollen with mucus, which is abundantly secreted from the nasopharynx. Inflammation of the lungs can be viral, bacterial, or fungal in nature. There is another very dangerous type of pneumonia. aspiration. It occurs as a result of vomit entering the lungs. Any kind of disease should be treated only under the supervision of a specialist.
In case of infectious diseases, you cannot treat the pet yourself. Syrups and cough tablets for the dog should be prescribed by a veterinarian. The fact that Teraflu helps people with ARVI well does not mean that it should be given to a sick pet.
It is not uncommon for older dogs to suffer from heart disease. With such pathologies, they have a constant dry cough. a symptom of damage to the mitral valve.
Another symptom that veterinarians diagnose with heart cough in dogs is cyanosis of the gums. Gradually, the animal’s condition will begin to deteriorate: it will begin to wheeze, its heart rhythm will be disturbed, shortness of breath, weakness will appear. It is especially difficult for a dog with a sick heart in the heat. If a heart cough appears in the morning and at night, it means that the disease has worsened.
In this case, expectorant and emollient medications will help alleviate the condition of the dog. To prevent an exacerbation of the disease, the dog must adhere to a special diet and physical activity.
Why does the dog cough when trying to burp: causes, features and treatment
Why does a dog drool or spit up when he coughs? Attempts to regurgitate when coughing indicate that the animal has either an accumulation of fluid or a foreign object in the throat. This symptom appears for a variety of reasons.
A cough in itself is not a disease, it is only a manifestation of some kind of disorder, in which the airway patency worsens. The symptom is typical for a number of pathologies: respiratory infection, heart disease, allergies, worms, trauma, etc.
Coughing, wheezing with a gag reflex, sneezing, saliva with blood can be the consequences of strangulation with a collar. The pet did not eat anything on the street, but after the walk began to cough, as if choking? In this case, you need to check if the collar is pinching him. A symptom that appears in a chained dog after a strong, prolonged barking may indicate that she injured her throat with a collar or tore her vocal cords.
A minor injury will heal over time. If the dog has foam or blood from the mouth, he needs the help of a qualified specialist. Similar symptoms may indicate the ingress of poisonous substances into the body of an animal that have affected its nervous system.
Dogs, like humans, sometimes suffer from intolerance to certain chemicals. With allergies, the mucous membranes begin to react sharply to certain compounds. They swell, as a result, the lumens of the airways are significantly narrowed, shortness of breath occurs, the animal may begin to wheeze. Symptoms of an allergy in a dog are:
- redness of the whites of the eyes;
- copious discharge of fluid from the nose, mouth and eyes;
- a rash on the skin in the form of red pimples;
Only elimination of the allergen can permanently save the animal from unpleasant symptoms. To do this, it is necessary to determine what caused the irritation. Antihistamines will help relieve symptoms and alleviate the condition of the animal. Dogs with allergies are also prescribed immunomodulators.
In older dogs, cough often appears as a result of tumor processes in the respiratory organs. The neoplasm compresses the lungs or bronchi of the pet, as a result of which it becomes difficult for him to breathe. If the tumor has metastasized, the animal can suffocate almost all the time. Oncological cough may be accompanied by fever, bloody discharge from the mouth. Relief for a sick dog can bring drugs that expand the lumen of the bronchi.
In addition to an incomprehensible cough, signs of a tumor in the dog’s respiratory organs are lethargy, shortness of breath, decreased or complete loss of appetite. With oncology, the animal can lose a lot of weight.
Cancer in dogs, especially older dogs, is very difficult to cure. Usually, the dog is prescribed symptomatic treatment to alleviate the condition. It includes taking bronchodilators, vitamins A, C, E, B, steroids, echinacea, expectorants.
What are the causes of cough
Why is the dog coughing? Most breeders mistakenly believe that a dog’s cough is nothing more than a common cold. But this is fundamentally not so, and you should not write off the poor health of your pet for this reason.
Попытайся не рыгнуть после полной банки газировки / Try not to burp after a full can of soda 2021
As practice shows, there can be a lot of reasons, all of them are considered below:
- sometimes it can be a feature of a particular breed;
- diseases of the oral cavity;
- viral tracheobronchitis;
- diseases of the gums and teeth;
- the spread of parasitic organisms;
- collapse of the trachea;
- a tumor in the lungs;
- heart disease;
- an allergic reaction to anything.
What prevention can be
Like any disease, the characteristic expectorant cough is better prevented than treated later. The main methods of prevention include:
treatment for parasites at least 2 times a year;
the use of vitamin and mineral complexes;
feeding the animal with a balanced meal;
in good sanitary conditions;
ensuring adequate physical activity appropriate for age and breed.
Dog breeders should not forget to carry out an annual comprehensive vaccination of a four-legged friend. It will help prevent viruses and infections and boost immunity.
Given that a dog can cough as if it choked due to a variety of conditions, professional diagnostics should not be neglected. The most common causes of a strange cough include: viruses, a foreign body inside the pharynx, oncology, diseases of the oral cavity, parasite infestation, and various types of allergic reactions. All this is treated under the supervision of a veterinarian.
The article is for informational purposes only. See your veterinarian!
Let other pet lovers know what you think
The dog coughs as if it choked. what could be the reason
Dog owners usually pay attention to obvious disorders of the pet’s well-being and rush to get advice from a specialist. A simple cough, on the other hand, is often not a cause for concern. But if the dog is coughing, as if choking. what to do? Go to the doctor or solve the problem yourself?
Causes of pathology
Many dog breeders believe that an expectorant cough is a common cold. Sometimes this is true, but there are many other reasons for not feeling well, which are much more serious.
Bronchitis and pneumonia are most often complications after infectious diseases, but they can also occur as independent diseases.
Have you noticed that the dog has a wet cough and gurgling sounds are heard behind the breastbone? Rush to the doctor immediately, as these are symptoms that often indicate the development of pneumonia. In addition, the dog becomes lethargic, eats and drinks poorly, he suffocates, his temperature rises.
Pathogenic and conditionally pathogenic microorganisms are always present in the dog’s body, which, under certain conditions. hypothermia of the dog, reduced immunity, stress, can cause the onset of pneumonia. Pathogenic fungi can also cause pneumonia, which is long and difficult to treat.
The most difficult case is aspiration pneumonia, which occurs when a dog inhales chemicals or gets into the lungs of gastric juice or food. The latter can happen with an incorrectly administered anesthesia. Such pneumonia is a very dangerous condition, veterinary care for which must be provided immediately.
Dog snoring: a sign of illness or is normal?
The health and vital functions of the body are inherently associated with the oxygen supply of each cell. Any problem with breathing has a detrimental effect on the entire body and, sooner or later, results in pathology. If the dog snores, a respiratory problem is suspected, which may indicate a number of dangerous ailments. However, do not panic, snoring is not a diagnosis, but first things first.
Snoring in a dog as a symptom
In brachycephalic dogs, it is necessary to exclude thickening (hyperplasia) of the soft palate. Pathology can provoke a dog to choke in a dream, when the animal’s muscles relax. Most often, pets with flat or upturned nostrils suffer from the disease. Boxers, Japanese Chins, Pugs, Bulldogs. The veterinarian examines the dog and orders a laboratory blood gas test. Together with the history, the doctor decides what to do next, and there are only 2 options. to observe and perhaps the dog will happily live a full life or operate. If your “flat-nosed friend” sniffs and grunts constantly, without delay, show the dog to a doctor who will find out if this is normal, most often, the pathology is associated with weight gain and overload of the heart muscle.
If the dog starts snoring suddenly, it is worth conducting a general examination and observing the pet. Most often, in parallel with breathing problems, other symptoms are observed. weakness, pallor of the mucous membranes, depression. The first thing to exclude is swelling of the nasal mucosa due to a cold. Usually, when the pet has a cold, sneezing, mucous nasal discharge, redness of the eyes and tearfulness are observed. Cough with a cold, this is an already aggravated situation when the swelling passes from the nasopharynx to the throat, and then bronchitis and pneumonia develop.
Due to allergic laryngeal edema, the dog wheezes and suffocates, which is an acute and dangerous condition. Your task is to relieve swelling with antihistamines and show the animal to the veterinarian. Keep in mind that until you identify the source of the allergen, your dog will be in danger.
The most common reason for the inconvenience of owners due to their own ignorance, when a dog snores like a person, sniffs and grunts when walking, is obesity. Few people realize how dangerous a few extra pounds can be for a pet. Joints, heart and all metabolic processes of the body fall under the “blow”. It is difficult for the dog to breathe during sleep due to chest tightness and swelling of the larynx tissues due to slow metabolism.
Asthma is one of the causes of snoring of pets and a serious pathology that can be caused by a number of reasons. unfavorable environmental conditions, inhalation of cigarette smoke, brachycephalic syndrome, allergies, heart failure, etc. Asthma attacks are expressed by obvious suffocation, the dog lowers its head and stretches its neck, opens its mouth, trying to capture air. Pathology must be monitored, including medication.
Urolithiasis, sooner or later passes into the stage of blockage of the ureters, which leads to displacement of internal organs and is accompanied by pain. Disease of the genitourinary system can cause both snoring and extraneous wheezing when breathing while awake.
Under the defeat of worms, usually understand the presence of tray parasites in the intestinal tract of the animal. However, the dog can also become infected with other types of worms that live in the blood, migrate through the body, and can damage the brain and heart of the animal.
It will take a veterinarian a long time to diagnose the causes of snoring. In any case, an examination will be carried out, blood and urine tests will be taken. If necessary, an X-ray and an ultrasound examination are prescribed. If the pathology cannot be detected, but edema occurs, usually, the diagnosis is reduced to identifying possible allergens.
Snoring as a natural phenomenon
Breeds with a deformed muzzle, brachycephalic, experience breathing problems due to thinned nasal passages and flat nostrils. Even in perfect health, the dog snores and grunts in its sleep and this is considered the norm. In fact, brachycephalics are prone to problems with the cardiovascular system, asthma attacks, excess weight, which is directly related to defects in the airways.
It is interesting! There is a theory that snoring dogs are ideal companions for the elderly and lonely people. In a dream, a person hears his pet, which has a positive effect on the psyche.
If you are worried about why your dog snores during sleep, we advise you to analyze the situation. Pets run, bark, snort and growl in their sleep, snoring is a sign of tightness or relaxation of the airways, which can be the effect of a dream or an uncomfortable posture. Breeders report that dogs that sleep on their backs or in a ball snore much more often.
Pets on sedatives or pain relievers may snore due to muscle relaxation. Impressive pets and dogs that have experienced severe stress snore for no apparent reason, however, the symptom goes away as soon as the dog is in a safe and calm environment.
It is interesting! Statistically, 21% of dogs snore during sleep.
How to deal with dog snoring
The survey revealed that your dog is healthy, but the dog continues to snore heavily during sleep? This means, most likely, the reason is in the living conditions of the animal. Reconsider the pet’s diet and, if necessary, transfer the dog to a diet food. Pay attention to measuring the temperature and humidity of the air in the home, perhaps the pet’s mucous membranes dry out during sleep. Pay attention to what position the dog sleeps in and, if necessary, change the lounger so that the pet can stretch its paws while lying on its side.
Analyze the walking area, flowering plants, landfills, mold, wild mushrooms are strong allergens. If you suspect an allergy, you should carefully review the situation in the home, remove all items from low-quality polymers, replace plastic bowls with metal ones and revise the diet.
In places where there is a constant accumulation of cigarette smoke, breathing problems occur even in very healthy animals. Substances contained in smog lead to the development of cancer, including cancer of the nose.
Symptoms of respiratory tract irritation with smoke:
- red eyes;
- possible decreased appetite.
To protect your pet, just do not leave it in a place where there is a lot of smoke. If the above symptoms begin suddenly, then it may be a reaction to substances that are present in the air. aerosols, insect exterminators. Take your pet out of such a room.
Also note that smog from wildfires may not be captured by humans, but will affect the respiratory tract of dogs. animals are more sensitive. In such a situation, reduce the time the pet is outside, and use air purifiers or air conditioners indoors.
Tracheal collapse occurs in small breeds.. This is a chronic disease that can be congenital or acquired. The list of breeds that are predisposed to it includes: Yorkshire Terrier, Pomeranian, Poodle and Chihuahua. The condition is characterized by the fact that the tracheal rings are deformed and because of this breathing is impaired.
- sudden dry or humming cough;
- labored breathing;
- the mucous membranes of the lips turn blue due to lack of oxygen.
- medicines to reduce cough;
- surgical intervention.
Asthma. a common cause of breathing disorders. It develops due to exposure to irritating factors (smoke, dust, pollen).
- the dog wheezes;
- coughs hysterically;
- breathes with an open mouth;
- is tired;
- loses appetite.
Emphysema (airing) of the lungs in pets, it usually develops as a result of another disease. It is difficult for an animal to exhale air from the lungs, so there are no problems when inhaling, but wheezing is heard on exhalation.
This also increases:
- heart rate;
Treatment for hoarse breathing in dogs
Treatment for a dog depends on what disease the veterinarian has diagnosed. Below is a basic list of ways to treat pathologies that are accompanied by wheezing, coughing and shortness of breath.
Dust mites are inevitable and exist in any room.
But if your dog is allergic to them, then it will be accompanied by the following symptoms:
- signs of asthma, including wheezing;
- labored breathing;
- itchy skin and eyes;
- continuous licking of itchy areas.
Obesity. Another reason for shortness of breath. Obese dogs find it more difficult to move and play. They get tired faster and breathe heavily. An animal that is not overweight has a well-defined waist. Its ribs are not visually visible, but must be felt with fingers.
To reduce body weight:
- provide your pet with enough exercise that is appropriate for its age and breed;
- change your diet. reduce calories.
Heart diseases can also be accompanied by shortness of breath and wheezing. Small dogs over 5 years old make up about 75% of animals with heart disease.
Diseases can be accompanied by the following symptoms:
- decrease in physical activity;
- weight loss;
- wheezing or shortness of breath;
- chronic fatigue.
If the dog is delighted with something, for example, the return of the owners from work, then it can breathe often.
Additional signs of joy:
- excessive barking;
The condition does not require treatment. The pet will calm down in a few minutes. But if overexpression interferes with family members or neighbors, then you can simply take more time for a walk so that the pet can run around and get enough physical activity.
- swelling of the mucous membranes;
- the dog shakes its head restlessly;
- swollen eyes, discharge from them;
- clear mucus from the nose;
If you suspect that a seed has got into the respiratory tract, then you need to take the dog to the veterinarian. The doctor will inject her with a sedative and remove the foreign object from the nasal passage.
Why does the dog breathe heavily and wheeze?
The respiratory system of a dog consists of several sections:
- the respiratory tract (trachea);
Illness anywhere in this system can cause breathing problems. It will not work to say right away why the pet is breathing heavily. To do this, you need to pay attention to the accompanying symptoms. Determining if a dog’s breathing is wrong is difficult. With an average number of breaths, from 14 to 25, representatives of small breeds will breathe more often, and large ones. less often. Sex also affects breathing. females take more breaths per minute. The animal breathes more intensively after physical exertion, games, fights.
Also, the pet will have difficulty breathing in the following cases:
Difficulty breathing is called shortness of breath, and too fast is called tachypnea.
The causes of tachypnea come from pathologies such as:
- fluid in the lungs;
- anemia, heart disease and bloating (it supports the respiratory system and prevents you from taking a full breath).
It should be borne in mind that tachypnea can progress to shortness of breath, so it should never be ignored. If a dog is diagnosed with dyspnea at rest under normal conditions, it is a sign of illness. Abnormal breathing means the body is not getting enough oxygen into the bloodstream and is trying to replenish it.
Common causes of shortness of breath in older pets are:
- foreign matter in the respiratory tract;
- lungs’ cancer;
- infections, incl. pneumonia;
- damage to the chest;
- kennel cough;
Breathing problems can also be a symptom of an abnormal metabolism. Regardless of age and breed, other diseases of the nose, throat, respiratory tract, lungs and diaphragm are also the culprit.
The main signs of respiratory distress in dogs are:
|Names of body parts, organs and traits||Manifestation of abnormal breathing|
|Neck and head||tilted towards the ground and extended along the body|
|Front legs||widely spaced|
|Tongue and gums||tongue stick out; mucous membranes of organs may be of an unusual color. call your veterinarian immediately if they turn blue.|
|Breath||carried out by an open mouth; nostrils open; with each breath, both the stomach and the chest move; shallow breaths; fast breathing.|
|Sounds||snorting; wheezing; coughing sounds.|
Difficulty breathing is sometimes not a sign of illness. The pet could very quickly swallow something tasty and just choked. Then there is a coughing, and an attempt to regurgitate what has been eaten. If the object scratches the throat, then for a while the dog will not even bark. If the cough lasts for several hours, then you need to contact your veterinarian.
Infection and poisoning
Diseases of the upper respiratory tract are accompanied by:
- discharge from the nose and eyes;
- increased body temperature;
- shortness of breath;
- loss of appetite;
- exercise intolerance.
Puppies, immunocompromised elderly dogs and unvaccinated animals are at risk. If the animal is still actively eating, has a pink tongue and gums, then, most likely, wheezing is not associated with an infection. But if the dog is in apathy, then you need to seek veterinary help.
Worms in the lungs
Heartworms are parasites that are a type of roundworm (nematode). They can parasitize in the pulmonary circulation of humans and animals. Canine nematodes are transmitted through the bite of a mosquito. The eggs enter the insect from the blood of an infected dog, then ripen for about a week and, in the form of larvae, may end up in the bloodstream of the next dog that this mosquito bites. The larvae will grow for 6-7 months, and all this time they will not be diagnosed when examined by a veterinarian.
Adult nematodes in the body are manifested by the following symptoms:
- congestive heart failure;
- coughing up blood;
- weight loss;
- shortness of breath;
- exercise intolerance.
Such a disease is treated by the destruction of parasites. For this, drugs based on arsenic are prescribed. In the future, be sure to regularly carry out treatment with antiparasitic agents.
Possible causes of wheezing in dogs
As mentioned earlier, wheezing is often caused by serious illnesses, pathological conditions, as well as dangerous incidents, including:
- Laryngospasm or laryngeal edema can occur due to allergies, foreign objects entering the animal’s throat, wheezing, and immediately during the attack (can be caused by squeezing the collar) it may very well look insane and start gasping for air. over, the mucous membranes of the animal turn blue. The diagnostic process includes anamnesis, sedation with examination of the larynx, and, if necessary, an X-ray examination. As a rule, the treatment of laryngospasm is medication (includes drugs whose action is aimed at relieving puffiness), but in some situations, the doctor may insist on mechanical ventilation. As a rule, laryngospasm is eliminated without unnecessary problems and complications.
- Tracheal collapse is a very common condition in dogs. When the trachea collapses, the trachea is deformed and compacted, thereby preventing air from passing normally during inhalation or exhalation (depending on the case). Most often, tracheal collapse occurs in small decorative dogs such as Chihuahuas, Terriers, Spitz, etc. Most often, at first, the disease does not in any way affect the general condition of the animal (it can only be accompanied by a rare cough due to the pressure of the collar or during stress). Gradually, as it develops, the disease begins to cause symptoms such as shortness of breath, severe cough, temporary loss of consciousness, and wheezing in the dog. X-ray and bronchoscopy are required for diagnosis. Treatment involves giving the animal complete rest and using the neck. If the collapse of the trachea begins to seriously threaten the health and life of the dog, surgery may be scheduled. Treatment is usually successful and without serious complications.
- Brachycephalic syndrome. This disease is characterized by a serious disruption of the respiratory system. Most often, such a pathology occurs in pets with a short and round skull and with a flattened nose, namely bulldogs, Pekingese, pugs, etc. However, brachycephalic syndrome can develop not only because of the non-standard structure of the dog’s skull, but also because of hereditary predisposition Developing, this disease provokes a decrease in the nasal passages, the lumen of the nostrils, as well as an increase in the soft palate and deformation of the larynx. Among the symptoms of the disease, experts distinguish severe snoring, severe shortness of breath, loud wheezing during inhalation, whistling and bluish mucous membranes. Stress, exercise and fever can aggravate the above clinical signs. The list of diagnostic measures for this disease includes: X-ray, auscultation, tracheo-laryngo-bronchoscopy, as well as sedation with an examination of the oral cavity. Usually to correct problems caused by brachycephalic syndrome. surgery is required. If the owner of the pet sounded the alarm in time and took the pet to the veterinarian, the likelihood of its cure without negative consequences is very high.
- The ingestion of foreign objects into the respiratory tract. X-rays and bronchoscopy are required to detect a foreign object. Treatment, of course, involves removing the body from the airways. The possible consequences of such an incident will depend entirely on the severity of the incident.
- The emergence of tumors in the respiratory system of the body. If the dog wheezes, there is a possibility that malignant or benign formations begin to develop in the airways of the body. The onset of tumors is usually accompanied by severe shortness of breath, wheezing and frequent coughing (blood can be found in the sputum). If the doctor suspects the presence of neoplasms and metastases in the lungs of the animal, only X-rays are needed to confirm the diagnosis. If the growths are likely in the trachea or nose of the animal, a biopsy and tomogram is necessary. Treatment involves chemotherapy or thoracotomy. The likelihood of a cure is not always there and largely depends on the animal’s body.
- Bronchitis, pneumonia (pneumonia). These diseases are accompanied by severe coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath. Despite the common misconception, pneumonia and bronchitis are common in dogs. The diagnostic process involves an X-ray examination, a blood test. In some cases, bronchoscopy may be required. Usually, these diseases are treated with antibiotics, various antitussives, antipyretics, etc. In most cases, treatment is successful.
- Pulmonary edema. This pathology is characterized by the fact that the liquid part of the blood gradually sweats out and begins to accumulate in the intercellular space of the lungs. There are many reasons that can cause this condition. The onset of edema is usually accompanied by severe shortness of breath, as well as cyanosis of the mucous membranes. Auscultation and X-ray are necessary for correct diagnosis. Treatment of pulmonary edema involves the use of decongestants; in the most difficult situations, the veterinarian may insist on mechanical ventilation. Next, the doctor must establish the cause that provoked such a condition. This could be, for example, an infection or heart failure. After identifying the disease. the root cause, it is necessary to start treatment.
- Paralysis of the vocal cords and larynx. This condition is characterized by the fact that air can no longer pass through the glottis of the animal (at least a sufficient amount of it), and the dog receives less oxygen. Such a pathology can be either congenital or acquired. Most often, paralysis of the larynx and vocal cords is observed in the following breeds: Dalmatians, Rottweilers, Laikas. It should also be noted that males suffer from this disease more often than females. Elderly animals are also at risk. In addition to wheezing, paralysis is accompanied by severe shortness of breath and, in some cases, fainting. Diagnosis of paralysis of the larynx and vocal cords involves palpation of the animal’s neck, x-rays, and sedation. Usually, if the dog is wheezing due to paralysis, doctors recommend surgery. It can be plastic surgery of the larynx or tracheostomy. If the operation is successful, there will be no need to worry about the health and life of the animal.
The dog wheezes, wheezes are heard
It is not uncommon for owners to mistake a dog’s wheezing as a symptom of a cold, and rarely give it serious importance. However, the situation usually changes dramatically if the animal begins an attack, in which the pet loses consciousness, wheezes, and its mucous membranes acquire a bluish tint.
Precisely in order not to bring the animal to such a peak state, dog owners should remember that frequent and loud wheezing is an extremely serious symptom that usually accompanies serious illnesses and pathologies. However, wheezing can be caused by a seemingly insignificant incident, for example, a foreign object entering the larynx of a pet. The type of wheezing can also help to identify the disease. experts distinguish wet and dry wheezing in dogs (each of them has its own characteristics, characteristics and causes). In any case, if this clinical sign is detected, the owners of the animal should immediately take the pet to an appointment with a veterinarian.
Signs of wheezing in dogs
As mentioned earlier, there are several types of wheezing in dogs, each of which has its own characteristics and characteristics.
- Dry wheezing is usually heard due to the fact that the lumen of the bronchi or trachea was narrowed, or due to the presence of too thick secretion. They are clearly audible both when exhaling and when inhaling, however, when exhaling, they are much louder. Often occurs with obstruction of the airways (for example, after a foreign object has entered them) and bronchitis.
- Humid wheezing in a dog usually occurs due to the accumulation of various organic substances in the lungs or respiratory tract, for example, blood or exudate. Air must pass through them, so its movement slows down significantly. Moist wheezing can be heard during both inhalation and exhalation. If enough contents have accumulated in the lungs, wheezing can be heard at close range. Often, similar wheezing in dogs is observed with pulmonary hemorrhage, edema, bronchitis and bronchopneumonia.
- Crepitant wheezing becomes audible if the alveoli have expanded with air. This type of wheezing is best heard during exhalation. Usually, crackling rales appear with pneumonia or fibrosis.
- An inspiratory whistle, often heard as wheezing, is essentially loud breathing that occurs when the airway is narrowed. It occurs with brachycephalic syndrome, paralysis of the vocal cords, as well as when foreign objects enter the trachea.
The dog wheezes, what should the owner do?
From the foregoing, it becomes clear that if the dog wheezes, it is better to take the animal to the veterinarian immediately. Remember, there is no way you can diagnose the disease on your own, because this requires special equipment and qualifications.
If the dog’s wheezing has become more and more audible, and its behavior more and more resembles an attack, the owner needs to drop the panic and do the following:
My Dog Burping Snorting and Dreaming Is Hilarious And Cute!
- Open all windows, thereby providing the dog with a large amount of oxygen.
- Do not touch your pet if it looks like it has found the most comfortable position for itself. over, you cannot grab the animal by the chest or neck.
- If you have an oxygen tank at home, don’t be afraid to use it.
- If the dog is in a relatively normal condition, examine its mouth. you may notice a foreign object in its throat. However, you should be as careful as possible. an excited animal may well bite you.
During the above procedures, try to think about when the dog began to wheeze, whether the wheezing was wet or dry, whether it was accompanied by other symptoms, and whether you gave any medication to your pet. All this information can significantly speed up the diagnostic process, and in especially severe cases, even save the dog’s life.