The fifth rule
Sleep and food are the basic needs of a baby in the first year of life. Therefore, parents need to find the right balance between them. To do this, Komarovsky advises to optimize the diet. From birth to 3 months, the baby may biologically need feeding at night 1-2 times. From 3 months to six months. it is enough to feed once at night. After six months. no need to feed at night at all, says the doctor.
With the implementation of this rule in practice, most of the problems arise in families that try to feed the child on demand. If there is a clear regime or the often recommended mixed regime (on demand, but at regular intervals. at least 3 hours), then the baby gets used to eating that way. But if with every squeak he is immediately given a breast, then you should not be surprised that the baby wakes up every 30-40 minutes and cries. He can do this already because he simply chronically overeats, his tummy hurts.
It is best to offer the baby a light snack in the penultimate feeding, and in the last before going to sleep at night. to feed him satisfyingly and densely.
Doctor Komarovsky on what to do if a child does not sleep well at night and often wakes up
Restless children’s sleep at night is a common problem. Many moms and dads dream that the child himself should sleep well and give them, the parents, at least 8 hours of sleep. Not all mothers and fathers know why their child does not sleep well at night, often wakes up, shudders, and turns and turns restlessly. With these questions, parents turn to the authoritative pediatrician and author of books and articles on the health of children Yevgeny Komarovsky.
It regulates the microclimate in the room in which the child sleeps. The baby should not be hot or cold, he should not breathe too dry or too humid air. Komarovsky recommends adhering to the following microclimate parameters: air temperature. from 18 to 20 degrees, air humidity. from 50 to 70%.
The bedroom should be ventilated and the air clean. It is better to put special valves on the heating battery in the apartment, which will prevent the air from drying out in winter.
About the problem
There are many reasons for the disturbance of children’s nighttime sleep. This is an incipient illness, when its symptoms are not yet noticed by others, and emotional turmoil, an abundance of impressions.
Often bad sleep at night is an echo of an ill-conceived day regimen, when the baby sleeps too much during the daytime.
The baby may sleep restlessly and often wake up and cry if he is cold or hot, if he is overfed. Up to 4 months, the cause of nighttime anxiety can lie in intestinal colic, up to 10 months and older, the child may sleep poorly due to discomfort caused by teething.
A newborn and nursing baby under one year old may sleep poorly if he is hungry. In all children, without exception, poor sleep can be a symptom of a serious illness. rickets, encephalopathy, a diagnosis of a neurological nature.
Sleep deficiency is dangerous for the child’s body. From constant lack of sleep, many organs and systems are imbalanced, the child is deficient in many enzymes and hormones that are produced during sleep. Therefore, improving sleep is the primary task.
It is necessary to decide in advance where and how the child will sleep. Komarovsky believes that for a baby under 3 years old, the best option is his own crib, and up to a year it may well be in the parents’ bedroom, because this way it will be more convenient for mom to feed the baby and change clothes at night if the unexpected happens.
After a year, says Evgeny Olegovich, it is best for the child to take a separate room and move his bed there (if, of course, such a possibility exists). Sharing sleep with parents, which many moms and even dads are now trying to practice, is not the best option. Yevgeny Komarovsky believes that such rest has nothing to do with sound sleep, and he does not add health either to mom and dad or to the child. And therefore, it simply does not make sense.
About the norms of children’s sleep
Evgeny Komarovsky puts a bold equal sign between the concepts of “children’s sleep” and “sleep of the whole family”. If the baby sleeps well, then his parents get enough sleep. The whole family feels great as a result. Otherwise, all household members suffer.
In pediatrics, it is customary to assess the quality of a child’s daily sleep according to certain average rates:
- Usually a newborn sleeps up to 22 hours a day.
- Baby 1 to 3 months. about 20 hours.
- At the age of 6 months, the baby needs at least 14 hours of sleep, of which the night should have from 8 to 10 hours.
- A one-year-old child, in order to stay healthy, must sleep at least 13 hours a day, of which about 9-10 hours are allotted for the night.
- If the baby is from 2 to 4 years old, the child should spend about 12 hours in a dream.
- After 4 years. at least 10 hours.
- At 6 years old, the child should sleep 9 hours at night (or 8 hours, but then be sure to go to bed for another hour in the afternoon).
- After 11 years, the night’s sleep should be no less than 8-8.5 hours.
At the same time, Komarovsky recalls, it is necessary to take into account the hours that the child sleeps during the day. There are no uniform standards, everything is quite individual. In general, 2-3 small “quiet hours” during the day are enough for a child under one year old. A kid up to 3 years old. one or two. The situation when a child at 2 years old does not sleep during the day is not very normal, since he is still too small to withstand the whole day without rest. If a child at the age of 5 has given up daytime sleep, this may well be a variant of the norm, since sleep largely depends on the temperament of the smallest man.
It is advisable to perform it as soon as you and your baby have arrived from the hospital. You need to set priorities as quickly and irrevocably as possible. The child must intuitively understand that there is a time when everyone around him is resting.
Komarovsky recommends immediately determining what interval is suitable for sleeping for all household members. It can be from 9 pm to 5 am or from midnight to 8 am. The child should be laid for a night’s sleep at this time (the time frame should not be shifted anywhere).
All family members will be required to discipline and adhere to the established rule.
It is clear that at first the baby can wake up at night to eat. But by 6 months, most babies do not need night feeding, and the mother will be able to get her 8 hours of sleep without waking up to the meal of her son or daughter.
Parents often complain that the baby sleeps only in his arms. As soon as he is transferred to the crib, he immediately wakes up and begins to express dissatisfaction. This case is a lack of discipline among the parents themselves. It is enough to remember that hand sickness does not in any way affect the health and strength of sleep, it is only a whim of the parents themselves. Therefore, the choice is theirs. to download or not to download. Komarovsky’s opinion. a child should sleep in his crib and go to bed at the same time.
This is the most delicate rule, which Yevgeny Komarovsky himself calls the most important of the ten. Only a baby who is dry and comfortable can have a restful sleep. Therefore, one should be very picky about the choice of a disposable diaper. It is better to give preference to expensive diapers with a “smart” absorbent layer, proven by generations and safe.
How to train your puppy to sleep in its place at night
To figure out how to behave in various situations, you need to find out the reason why the dog does not sleep at night.
How to meet his needs
The place of the dog must be equipped taking into account the following features:
- There should be no draft in the sleeping corner so that colds do not occur. The place should be secluded.
- A place in the corridor in which people constantly walk is not suitable for arrangement. The dog needs to feel protected and have a quiet rest.
- Pet toys should be placed near the equipped place, with which he will play and gnaw them.
- If possible, it is worth placing the place where the animal is most comfortable. The owner’s sleeping room should be excluded.
- The pet feels comfortable in a place with good visibility. It is important for him to observe everything that happens, as he feels like a member of the family.
- The bed must be made of quality material. It is important that it is comfortable, durable and easy to clean.
- Due to the quick contamination of the bedding, it is worth giving preference to models with removable covers. If you purchase several covers at once, you can quickly change them if necessary.
- If you put a carpet made from natural raw materials, it does not cause allergic reactions and does not electrify.
- The pet’s sleeping place should correspond to its size. The best option can be chosen after studying the favorite positions of the animal during sleep. If the dog likes to sleep in a folded state, an oval-shaped bed with sides will suit him. Lovers of stretching will feel comfortable on the mattresses.
- Poor-quality material of the animal’s sleeping place will quickly deteriorate, since it is known what dogs do at night. they spin for a long time.
Why does a dog want to sleep with its owner?
Almost every four-legged person is attracted to the owner’s bed. According to most dog breeders, the dog should not be placed on a sofa, chair or bed. The weakness of a person to involuntarily accustom to sleep together is understandable. It is worth figuring out what the pet is guided by. There are several reasons:
- Due to individual characteristics. After all, a serious watchdog remains to spend the night in the yard, and a dog of a decorative breed quickly gets used to the master’s hands and does not want to part with them.
- If the owner taught the pet from an early age to be on the owner’s bed.
- During the winter and off-season, some short-haired or fluffy dog breeds contribute to the creation of warmth due to interruptions in heating.
- Pets are smart and cunning. They immediately understand the difference between a person’s bed and his bed. In this case, the owner should reconsider the chosen version of the pet bed.
- If the dog is often alone and bored, his emotions may be too strong. It traps the host’s scent on the pillow to reduce anxiety.
- The dog climbs onto the owner’s bed with a lack of attention, because each pet has individual needs for communication with others.
- Even when all the household members are at home, but bypass and do not pay attention to the pet, the dog can experience stress. Because of this, the dog strives to spend more time at the owner’s resting place.
- When a dog experiences anxiety and fear, it tries to get as close as possible to the owner, who is its leader and leader. The dog considers him the most courageous, brave and fair.
- Dominant males exhibit protective instinct. He can control the safety of a person throughout sleep. In such situations, there is a downside. the dog reacts to every rustle and can mark the territory.
- Too attached to the owner, a pet seeks to get into the bed of its owner, and sometimes even take his place. This happens if an orphan puppy immediately fell into human hands. He is soothed not only by the smell, but also by the pounding of the heart of the person nearby.
The dog feels protected by the poison with the owner
How to train your puppy to sleep alone at night
Many inexperienced dog owners are interested in how to train a puppy to sleep at night in its place. After all, this is an integral part of education, which is necessary not only at home, but also in the process of training in the future.
Features of organizing a place for a pet
For the comfort and coziness of the dog in its place, you need to take care of its correct arrangement. Prepare the place in advance, while the puppy has not yet appeared in the house.
How Many Hours a Day Do Dogs Sleep? Puppies, Adults & Seniors
What can bother him, why does he sleep badly and whine
When entering a new home, the puppy feels lonely and often worries. After all, he was taken away from his mother and his flock. If the baby whines for the first few nights, this is quite typical and normal.
To overcome this problem, you should use the “Fu!” in a stern voice or ignore the puppy’s nagging. Over time, he will get used to it and stop whining.
The puppy whines and cannot sleep because of boredom. In this situation, you should show him the toys and find time to play with him during the day. Experienced breeders recommend making the puppy get tired in the evening, so that he has no energy left for night pleasures.
It is forbidden to take pity on the dog and take the kitten to your bed. He will remember this situation after the first time and will demand attention to himself constantly, without stopping to whine. It will be hard to teach him again.
It is worth highlighting other reasons why the puppy does not sleep and whines at night:
- The dog whines because of pain after being injured or undergoing surgery.
- If the pet owner has gone to bed late for several days, the dog may get used to this daily routine. Then her rhythm of life gets lost. The animal may not always be able to quickly return to normal sleep patterns.
- Sleep can be disrupted if the puppy starts to get sick at the age of one month or older.
- Puppies, like small children, sleep several times a day, then they can get up several times at night.
- Insomnia with barking and whining may be associated with emotional distress.
- The puppy may whine to remind the owner that it is time to feed because he is hungry.
How to calm your puppy on the first night at home
The owner needs to know how to calm the puppy on the first night at home correctly.
Do not take him in your arms, it is better to endure the dog crying for a while. He will stop howling if the owner simply reaches out to him and caresses the pet. This is how a person shows that he is there and there is no need to worry.
Sometimes the first couple of nights the owner has to spend a lot of time with an outstretched hand to the puppy, but it helps a lot.
The owner must take care
What threatens a kitten with a refusal to eat
If the kitten does not eat for a long time, this can lead to the development of serious diseases. These are disorders of the gastrointestinal tract, liver and kidneys. Poor nutrition of the kitten leads to the development of anemia. This condition is dangerous because the blood depleted in erythrocytes does not deliver enough oxygen to the organs. Therefore, the kitten’s breathing and heart rate become more difficult and more frequent, if the kitten does not eat anything.
Prolonged starvation, as well as insufficient nutrition, contributes to the fact that the kitten does not receive enough nutrients, lags behind in growth.
Causes of decreased appetite
There are not so few factors provoking a decrease in appetite in kittens. Some are easily eliminated, while others are difficult to treat even in a clinic. Here are the main reasons:
- the animal eats poorly, since the food does not suit it;
- a decrease in appetite is caused by a change in weather or habitat conditions (a kitten may not eat because of stress, like a person);
- the owners overfeed the pet, and he protests, showing poor appetite;
- the kid has little attention or games and he is sad, feeling bad “morally”;
- an infection has entered the body;
- there is any disease of the gastrointestinal tract, so the kitten refuses to eat;
- the animal eats little due to food poisoning.
If the kitten has begun to eat poorly, you definitely need to figure out why. Often it is not possible to do this on your own. In this case, a veterinarian will help.
What to do?
If you have taken into account all the rules for feeding kittens and, knowing the reasons why the kitten does not eat, first of all you need to get rid of it. No reason, no problem. If you have ruled out the effects of stress, and the bowl and feeding area are perfectly clean and free of any smell, then run to the vet. Better to play it safe. Have a doctor examine a kitten that is not hungry. If, as a result of the examination, a disease is detected, the veterinarian will prescribe the necessary treatment. Next, we have prepared some tips on what to do if the kitten does not eat anything, which may be useful to you.
Self-medication will not give results, it will only worsen the condition of the pet. Making diagnoses online is not the best way to solve a kitten’s starvation problem. But even during treatment, appetite may not fully recover.
Some types of parasites, on the contrary, awaken a brutal appetite in the baby. But still, in most cases, a tiny organism is not able to fight worms. All the strength of the immune system is spent exclusively on the fight. Therefore, they do not remain at all for food consumption. Modern veterinary medications can be given to tiny kittens. Some anthelmintics can be given only once, but it is usually recommended to repeat the procedure after 10-14 days.
This is due to the fact that during this time those parasites that were not affected by the first dose reach another stage of development. And now on it they become sensitive to the active substance of the anthelmintic. Be sure to carry out 2 procedures for expelling parasites, even if you did not find any worms in the feces or vomit of the kitten. Perhaps in his body there is just the larval stage, which is covered with a dense membrane that does not allow the drug to kill the helminth.
Causes of lethargy
If a similar condition in an animal lasts no more than a day, passes without consequences, then it is not dangerous. Everyone has a bad mood, including cats. The animal may be offended by one of the family members if they did not play with it, change its bedding, or remove its favorite post for scratching its claws. But this state does not last long and does not need correction.
Some cats can react to the weather. In this case, their depression is temporary, does not last more than 12-24 hours, it goes away on its own when the weather improves. But these states are repeated, and the owner can notice the frequency and connection with natural phenomena.
Non-castrated cats on the pill can become depressed. At the same time, it is noticeable to the loving owner how much their mood is spoiled, they are gloomy, lethargic, eat less and irritably react to attempts to caress them, do not want to play.
Cats may not tolerate a change of home or the departure of the owner. In this case, the animal may develop deep depression. As a result, the cat will hide under a sofa or closet, refuse food, and even growl if you try to give it something to drink or eat. This condition can last for several days.
If the owner did not notice any pattern, lethargy pursues the animal for more than a day, it is worth showing the animal to the veterinarian. If it is impossible to do this right away, you can try to examine the pet yourself. Measure his body temperature. High fever can be a sign of an incipient infectious disease, hormonal disorder.
You can feel the cat’s stomach, perhaps the animal has swallowed an object, it has constipation, or parasites have actively multiplied. These conditions are not always accompanied by vomiting, acute constipation (diarrhea), but the abdomen will be tight, the abdominal wall is tense and painful.
It is necessary to carefully examine the skin of the animal for ticks, bites, abrasions, wounds, edema, tumors, any anomalies that can tell the owner that something bad is happening to the animal.
If the owner knows the weight of his animal, the cat can be weighed. Excessive weight gain or weight loss may be evidence of endocrine disorders (diabetes mellitus, thyroid dysfunction) or the growth of a malignant neoplasm. It is necessary to pay attention to the quality of the wool, whether it climbs too much, whether it has become thinner, or whether it loses its shine. Are there crusts and scratches in the rump area?
Alabai dog eats badly what to do
Causes of poor dog appetite
If a puppy is not eating well, you cannot immediately find out the reasons or diagnose him. In each case, you need to figure out why the pet began to refuse food. To do this, you need to watch the dog. A problem with appetite can arise for various reasons. a beginning illness or capriciousness of the animal, stale food, unusual nutrition (for example, they gave natural food, and then switched to ready-made food, and the pet began to eat it very badly or refused altogether). Observing your dog and figuring out why he is eating poorly can help you decide what to do.
- Disease. In this case, the animal sleeps a lot, is lethargic, inactive, skips meals, practically does not react to goodies. To make sure your puppy really gets sick, you can take him for a walk. If the dog’s mood does not change on the street, then it’s time to think about its health. A warm and dry nose will also signal problems with the body. Redness of the eyes, discharge from the nose or ears, an unhealthy color of the tongue, and bad breath are also signs of an onset of the disease. If any of this is present, you must show your four-legged friend to the vet. The puppy also eats poorly due to gum or dental diseases. The painful sensations that occur while eating can make your dog refuse to eat. Difficulties can also arise when changing teeth. This usually occurs before the age of 10 months. Unusual food. The reasons why a puppy is not eating well can be varied. Among them is atypical food. If the puppy was accustomed to one food, and you gave him another, he may refuse it. Therefore, when purchasing a pet, you should ask what the breeders fed him and what products they taught him. Disliked or stale food. The animal may simply not like the food you gave him. In this case, you should try to return the previous diet and observe the pet’s behavior. Always check the freshness of the food you give your dog. If they have gone for a walk, it is understandable why the pet does not eat or eats very badly. Hot. Often in the heat, animals refuse to eat.
If the animal is absolutely healthy, sleeps no more and no less than usual, loves to frolic and run, but does not eat, then everything is in order with his health and you need to try to correct his appetite.
What to do if the puppy began to eat poorly, and no health problems were noticed. Try a few tricks. For example, skip one meal and then give the same meal. Perhaps the pet was just spoiled. In doing so, remember: the food you give your dog must be fresh. Her diet must be balanced.
Doesn’t eat at all or doesn’t finish? You also need to pay attention to this. Perhaps you just give a lot of food, the portions are large, and the puppy is not able to master them.
Another trick is long and active walking. A dog that has spent a lot of time in movement and play should definitely wake up a good appetite.
Try changing the diet a little and giving some other foods if the puppy refuses to use the usual ones. Also, before eating, you can give him a few pieces of salted fish, which should affect his appetite.
It happens that a dog refuses food not because of health problems. Both small puppies a few months old and older ones do not tolerate heat very well. Babies do not eat because of problems with their teeth. more precisely, with their teething. What to do in this case? Try feeding your pet soft food.
In addition, the animal’s eating habits may change. Because of this, it will refuse old familiar feed.
On the features of food in the hot season
If the puppy does not eat well in the heat, you should act depending on the age of the dog. Let’s divide the dogs into several groups, the care of which will be different:
14 Critical Signs Your Dog Is Begging For Help
- Puppies up to a month (they are also called suckling). They suffer greatly if the temperature exceeds 25 degrees. Therefore, the owner needs to monitor this, provide blowing with a fan. At the age of one month to three puppies, it is necessary to constantly provide water in the heat. An adult dog should moisten his paws up to the elbows several times a day in the heat.
The puppy does not eat well. useful tips
Every novice dog breeder, like an experienced breeder, is faced with a problem: the pet did not eat. It does not depend on the breed or the sex of the animal. It is imperative for the owner to know what to do if the puppy is not eating well. A familiar situation: did the pet eat normally, and then began to refuse food? Even the most active and food-loving four-legged one has periods when he practically does not eat and sleeps a lot.
What are the reasons for this phenomenon, why the pet refuses to eat and what to do in such a situation: run to the doctor, replace the usual dry food with sweets, or leave the baby alone?
What to do if you don’t eat dry food
Most often, owners choose dry food for feeding the animal. But it happens that the puppy refuses or does not eat such a dish. What are the reasons and what to do in this case?
So, the pet ate dry food from the breeder, but did not become the owner at home. Perhaps there was a different brand of food. What the puppy ate should be found out in advance. In addition, pay attention to the portion. maybe they poured a lot.
Dry food can be chopped up and mixed with something that is more appealing to your baby. In some cases, it is enough just to light it up, and the puppy will begin to eat.
If the pet does not eat one of the types of food, you can try another, change the diet.
If before that the animal was fed natural food, then, upon seeing dry food, it will most likely refuse it, since this food is unusual and unfamiliar to it.
Also wondering why the puppy did not eat or eats the usual food very poorly, one should not forget about the possibility of an onset of the disease.
The puppy eats very poorly and generally began to refuse food. a problem familiar to many novice dog breeders. There is no single correct solution in this case. You should observe the pet, his behavior and find out why he takes food badly. This may depend on various factors: the season (it is known that in hot weather the dog often eats poorly), age (up to 10 months, the pet should change its teeth, at this time it may be uncomfortable or painful to chew), illness (getting sick, the pet does not only does not eat, but also sleeps more).
After you find out why the pet began to refuse food, you can deal with the elimination of the problem. If necessary, show the pet to the veterinarian; or provide coolness in the heat; change unloved or unusual food. Sometimes the dog does not eat or eats badly just like that, while sleeping no more than usual and its behavior does not change. There are also such problems with appetite (as in people). In such cases, you can simply skip one or two feedings.