Before you train your kitten to walk in a litter box, it is important to consolidate the result. When your pet has already realized that this is his pot and even pleased you with the first successes, do not rush to empty the pot.
Let the container sit with the filler for 3-4 weeks. Do not forget to regularly clean the contents, the cat will not do his business where it is very dirty.
When a kitten is small and just learning new skills, it is very important to find the right place.
It is not recommended to place a cat litter box:
- In rooms with slamming doors.
- Near the food area.
- Indoors where it is noisy and bustling.
Cats, like humans, prefer to “do their own thing” in a calm, secluded environment.
The accustoming process
Everyone probably knows that a cat, when choosing a place to relieve needs, is guided by smell. The new item smells specific and is unlikely to arouse interest in the pet as a toilet.
So, step-by-step steps on how to teach your pet to walk to the right place.
Pour some filler into a bowl and place your baby in it. Do not make sudden movements, the animal may get scared and then will not come to the container for a long time. It is unlikely that the pet will be able to immediately go to a new, unfamiliar place, give him time to get used to it. Plant it several times during the day.
If during this time the cat “lays a surprise” in another place, do not scold him, but transfer the heap to the pot and leave it there for a while so that the smell is absorbed into the contents.
How to quickly train a kitten to use a litter box
When a kitten appears in the house, you need to take care of its toilet. A cat is a clean animal and will go to the same place if everything is “explained” to her correctly. How to quickly train a kitten to use a litter box, and will the pet go to an empty pot? In fact, it is not so difficult to do it.
How to choose a tray
Many cat pots are built with a lattice. On the one hand, it is convenient. the cat will not wet its paws, although “small” into an empty container. On the other hand, the animal, following instinct, will bury its excrements and cling to the bars with its claws. This can hurt the kitten, and he will refuse to return to the place next time. Therefore, the question with the grid is very controversial.
The shape of the container is not important, as are all other design features. The tray should be comfortable for the kitten, not you. The main thing is that the container is roomy and made of high-quality plastic.
When the animal is already comfortable and used to the toilet, you can try using a litter box. The container has already managed to absorb the smell, which may not be perceptible to a person, but will be well felt by a cat. Just empty the pot and leave it in the same place.
When your pet does his job, immediately clean up after him, otherwise the unpleasant “aroma” will quickly fill the house.
How to quickly train a kitten to use a litter box?
From the very first days of the appearance of a kitten in the house, you need to start accustoming him to the tray. The younger the pet is, the easier it is to toilet train it. However, the difficulty arises if the owners do not want to use the filler. Perhaps they prefer to put granules under the grate or do without them altogether. lay a newspaper, pour water, pour soda. In any case, it is more difficult to potty train a kitten without filler.
Pros and cons of tray without filler
Each cat and cat owner chooses for himself whether to use a special cat litter. Each case has its own advantages and disadvantages. The pros of using an empty pot are.
How To: Kitten Litter Training Tips. Train them FAST!. Cat Health Vet Advice
- The hostess does not have to collect the pellets scattered by the cat all over the house every day. In addition, many species can stick to the pet’s paws and spread around the apartment.
- Some cats do not recognize litter at all, it is more convenient for them to visit an empty litter box. Although in general it is still a rarity.
- Many pets cannot resist the temptation to taste the pellets, with most fillers negatively impacting the pet’s health when ingested. Kittens especially like to eat filler.
- In many cases, the use of filler is unhygienic. Some species (for example, clumping) collect a lot of dust and leave marks on the animal’s fur.
- The use of filler is not recommended in an apartment where small children live, as young owners are often not averse to playing with pebbles.
- Another plus of avoiding filler is cost savings. Some varieties are quite expensive.
At the same time, the use of filler has significant advantages.
- Most cats still like to dig in granules, hide waste products behind them.
- When using filler in the house, there is much less smell.
- The use of some granules does not require instant cleaning of liquid waste.
- It is easier to clean the tray after the filler, it can be done more thoroughly.
To help the kitten quickly get used to the new regimen, heed the advice of veterinarians on potty training for young animals.
- Place the tray in a quiet, calm place where there are no crowds and no one will disturb your baby.
- Choose a tray with a wide area and low sides. It will be more convenient for kittens to get used to such a container.
- Dispose of any liquid waste under the grate immediately. Solid waste products also require instant cleaning.
- Rinse the litter box after each kitten use.
How to train?
In a responsible and patient owner, the kitten will begin to walk in the tray without fail by 2 months. It is possible to accustom your baby to a tray without filler by observing the following steps.
- First, it is important to teach your kitten how to use a litter pot. Pour some pellets into the tray and place the kitten on top. Do not force him to go to the toilet, do not sit down, just watch. Plant it several times throughout the day. If the fluffy baby has gone to a different place to use the toilet, transfer the waste products to the tray for a while. You can soak a piece of newspaper with liquid waste and put it in a pot. After a while, the kitten will understand why a litter box is needed.
- Do not remove the litter as soon as your pet gets used to going to the right place. Leave the pellets for 3-4 weeks, do not forget to clean the pot regularly, accustoming the kitten to cleanliness.
- After the specified time, you can try to train your pet to toilet in an empty litter box. Now the baby knows where he should perform his intimate procedures, has studied the container, even a thoroughly cleaned tray retains the appropriate smell, and the kitten will quickly get used to when it is in an empty tray.
- If the kitten does not immediately figure out what to do with an empty tray, you can try to free the pot of granules gradually, reducing the amount of litter every week, thereby weaning him off the use of absorbent lumps. When at the end of the weaning period only a handful of pebbles remain in the container, of course, the kitten will not like it, but over time he will get used to it.
This method will not allow the baby to fall into a state of shock when he sees an empty tray.
What to use instead of filler?
Instead of filler, sand or sawdust can be poured under the grate. Another option is to use plain water. Pour a little liquid on the bottom, you can sprinkle a little soda (it absorbs the smell), and put a grate on top. This option is suitable for trays where the grid is located quite high.
You can just put a newspaper, however, you will have to change it after each urination of the pet. That is, this method is suitable for those owners who have the opportunity to always be at home.
You can use the above-mentioned soda in the case of using sand or sawdust. Sprinkle the powder on the bottom and sprinkle the granules on top. This method will allow you to maintain a pleasant atmosphere in the house for longer. Some owners do not add anything to the tray at all. they leave it empty and put a grate on top. However, in this case, an unpleasant odor may spread throughout the apartment if the pot is not rinsed in time.
Veterinarian’s tips for litter training can be found in the video below.
Choosing toiletries for a fluffy pet
If the decision to have a kitten or an adult cat was not made spontaneously, then you need to stock up on the necessary things in advance that are required for the normal maintenance of the animal.
Must purchase tray and litter in advance
In addition, you will need to determine the location of the pet’s toilet.
Potty training an adult cat
When raising a mature cat, they are guided by the same advice as when training kittens. But working with an adult animal will take a little longer, because he has already formed his own hygienic habits. A cat taken from another house will be easier to train than a street one. It is enough to take his old tray. Usually pets immediately recognize their toilet and go to it.
Traying an adult cat is a little harder than a kitten.
A street stray cat will require increased attention and patience. Experienced cat lovers advise limiting his movement to the space of one room, where the cat’s pot is currently located. The pet can only be released during feeding.
First, a mixture of earth and sand is poured into a plastic container. Such a composition is more usual for a cat, and he will be happy to bury his excrement in it. Little by little, pour in the filler and gradually replace the sand-earth mixture with it completely. A few days later, when the animal will regularly visit its pot, the next room is opened for free access.
In this case, it is necessary to close all possible and convenient secluded places for criminal acts: behind the closet, sofa, in flower pots, etc.
You will have to tinker with a stray street cat to train it to the litter box.
There are specimens that stubbornly do not want to recognize the tray and continue to shit in their favorite place. In this case, it is recommended to just put the pot there and let the cat walk there for the time being. After waiting for a while, the box is gradually moved in the direction of the desired location. No need to rush, 10-15 cm a day is enough.
Shoes should not be left in the reach of the cat, because the smell can attract the animal and it will mark your shoes and boots.
Why does the animal not go to the tray and what to do in such a situation
Occasionally it happens that the cat stubbornly does not go to his pot and everything strives to settle down in the wrong place. Most often this is due to objective reasons:
- The animal doesn’t like the pot. Perhaps he has become small and the cat is uncomfortable there. Probably not the right filler.
- The tray is in the wrong place. The pet may not be satisfied with the changes that have occurred after repairs, moving and / or rearranging furniture.
- Another tenant appeared. It can be a small child, a puppy, or a second cat.
- The pot is poorly cared for and the cat does not like the pungent smell.
- Sometimes pets are mischievous from a lack of master’s attention. Thus, the cat tries to show its displeasure.
- During puberty, all felines need to mark their territory.
- Violations of hygienic behavior can be associated with diseases of the digestive system, abnormalities in the genitourinary sphere, as well as with helminthic invasions.
You need to carefully observe your pet and find out the reason why he stopped visiting his toilet. Only after that do they take any action to eliminate the interfering factor. If all else fails, then you need to show the animal to the veterinarian for testing and consultation.
If all else fails and the pet continues to shit anywhere, then you need to show it to the veterinarian
If the kitten regularly walks according to its needs in the tray, but at the same time marks the territory and sometimes shits in the corners, then it is recommended to reduce the sexual activity and nervousness of the pet with the help of special drugs (Gestrenol, Cat Bayun, etc.). All marks must be thoroughly washed off and the smell must be interrupted with specialized sprays. But the most effective way to solve the problem would be castration or sterilization.
Action must be taken immediately. The longer the cat shits in the corners, the harder it is to wean him from it.
Time to teach your pet to use the litter box
All cats are very different, and therefore the time it takes to potty training may not be the same. Some gifted individuals understand everything literally the first time, while others have to tinker with for several weeks. When everything is done correctly and all the necessary conditions are met, the training process rarely exceeds 1-2 weeks. If the animal refuses to go to the toilet equipped for it for a long time, then you need to find out the reason for this behavior and make the necessary adjustments to the training process.
How to potty train a kitten or cat correctly and quickly
Having a fluffy pet in the house is a pleasant and joyful event. In order for the kitten’s stay to bring positive emotions in the future, it is necessary to engage in its upbringing and training. The first step is to teach the animal to fulfill its natural needs in a special tray.
How to toilet train a kitten
Many owners choose the traditional method. this is a litter box, but there are those who want to embrace the immensity and accustom the cat to a real human toilet and save themselves from the need to remove the litter.
Veterinarians differ on this point, as emptying in this way is not natural for the feline family and can lead to chronic bladder problems. In the first months, it will not work to teach a kitten the toilet, you will have to wait until the baby is one year old and he will behave confidently and are not afraid of the toilet itself.
The most common approach is to keep the tray higher and higher. Place the litter box in the immediate vicinity of the toilet and each time, set it higher until you are level with the toilet.
Do not forget to make sure of the reliability of the structure, otherwise, if the cat gets scared, the whole plan may fail. Then try to get rid of the tray and look at the cat’s behavior.
How to Litter Box Train Little Kittens
- The optimal training time for a four-legged toilet starts from 5 months.
- The toilet lid should always be open and not popping.
- The door to the toilet or bath must also be constantly open.
- If the cat learns to go to the human toilet, after his actions, carry out a hygienic cleaning.
How to potty train a cat: difficulties that owners face
There are many reasons why an animal refuses to go to the litter box. In addition to fear and conflict with the owners, this is influenced by diseases and various inflammatory processes in the urinary tract, cystitis, hormonal surges and other problems. If you notice that your pet began to behave strangely, constantly sleeps and does not get up, refuses to eat, does not go to the tray, this is a reason to contact your veterinarian.
- The tray is too large. The tailed beast is simply uncomfortable to climb into it, which interferes with emptying.
- You accidentally closed the door to the toilet or the room where the tray is located.
- The kitten was scared of extraneous noise, the operation of a washing machine, tools or walking pipes.
- A strong chemical smell, smells of citrus fruits and various fruits scare the baby away from the toilet.
- Perhaps the reason lies in the incorrectly selected filler, since some manufacturers add various fragrances that are unpleasant for the baleen.
- The kitten does not like the filler itself, the hard and unpleasant texture. In this case, you can experiment with other types.
- A dirty litter box can also be the reason why the cat went to the wrong place.
- Be understanding when a cat first arrives at a new home, she is scared and stressed, which can cause sudden emptying.
- Make sure your baby has no bladder problems.
- Install trays in several places so that the cat can determine and choose one.
- Be sure to treat the place where the cat went with various substances in order to once and for all scare him away from the corners and sofas.
Make sure your cat is happy and free from stress or pain.
Types of tray fillers
Which filler to choose is the business of every owner. There are absorbent fillers from wood, clay, mineral and silica gel on the market. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages, and they also differ in cost.
For example, silica gel filler makes a lot of noise, and corn litter sticks to the paws, which may not be pleasant to the baby. Mineral also has its drawbacks: a curious cat will want to try it on a tooth, of course, it will not harm health, but it can cause abdominal pain, refusal to eat and constipation. You should also give up strong fragrances that will not like the sensitive sense of smell.
Don’t forget to get a faeces scoop. It is important to understand that at the first stage, when accustoming to the tray, you cannot do without filler, so it will be easier for the cat to understand his place. Many make a mistake and begin to accustom the kitten to an empty litter box, of course, each cat has its own character, but this will take a long time and may not be successful. Buy fillers that resemble sand, so the kitten will immediately figure out what to do and all training can be completed in 10 minutes.
What type of tray to choose
- The mesh tray is one of the most common types chosen by owners. It’s practical and cheap. When purchasing such a tray, you need to constantly monitor its cleanliness, otherwise, the furry friend will go to relieve himself in another place. It is important to understand that the cat will never go into a dirty litter box and will endure until it becomes unbearable. Then you can easily find a puddle in any part of the apartment. When giving preference to such a model, pay attention to the presence of sides, the higher the better, this increases the level of hygiene.
- A high tray with silica gel filler. suitable for those owners who have to leave the kitten alone for 2-3 days and cannot ask friends or acquaintances to visit the pet and clean it up. The main advantage is that the filler retains the smell, which means that the cat will be able to go to the toilet several times.
- Tray with filler. features high sides and is presented in the mid-price range.
- Dressing house. such a product is suitable for owners of private houses, since there is simply no suitable place for this design in standard apartments. In addition to the main function, it can become part of the interior and not stand out against the main background, like a regular tray. The cost of such products is high, but the cat will definitely appreciate the gift, because most of all in life the mustache love solitude.
How to potty train a cat: the initial stage
The formation of habits in tailed beasts occurs from 2 to 7 weeks. If at this time the pet is with the breeder, then the responsibility lies with him. When, for some reason, the moment of training is missed, there is no need to worry, the kitten lends itself to training, and the information transmitted by the mother will serve as the basis for gaining new knowledge.
Choosing the right place for the tray
All cats love privacy, so you need to place the toilet in a secluded place where there are no frightening extraneous sounds, for example, you should not place the tray near the washing machine.
Access to the toilet should always be open, so carefully consider the place where the tray will stand so that it does not interfere with the residents of the house and is convenient for a new friend.
How to train a kitten to use the litter box? 10 tips
Cats are unique representatives of the animal world, combining an obstinate character, sophistication, grace and incredible tenderness towards their owner. Having a new furry family member is always exciting. But, besides the search for food and a house, the most pressing question is on the agenda. how to train a kitten to the litter box.
There are various methods and even special tools that will help the kitten in mastering the pot. It doesn’t matter which approach you choose, the main thing is to be patient. with the right actions, the learning process goes quickly.
Ways to train kittens to the litter box
Of course, you first need to purchase all the necessary “toilet” accessories. Much depends on the choice of tray and filler.
- Purchase a large container. Cats grow fast so you don’t have to spend money on a new accessory.
- Give preference to a closed model. Many cats are shy by nature and try to keep the corner for intimate affairs secluded.
- Don’t forget to buy a rubber bucket mat and a scoop spatula. The rug is needed so that the cat does not carry sand on its paws.
Now. about the trouble-free methods that will allow you to train your pet to the litter box in the apartment.
For lazy hosts
The first 2-3 days of staying in a new place, limit the movement of the animal around the house. Let it be a kitchen or one of the rooms. It is advisable that there are no carpets on the floor. If he misses, it will simplify cleaning. Place the prepared tray in a dark corner. The kitten can easily find its way to the toilet and quickly learn how to use it for its intended purpose.
For patient hosts
The baby’s body is designed in such a way that immediately after eating, the kitten will want to go to the toilet. Observe your pet. As soon as the kitten starts “looking for a place”, carefully take it and take it to the tray. Try not to press on your tummy.
To make the kitten quickly understand what is required of him, take his paw with your hand and dig in the sand. Do not forget to pet him, talk to him affectionately, and praise him after he has done his job. Repeat these steps for 2-3 days. As a rule, this is enough to teach him to “walk on the potty” on his own.
For persistent owners
It often happens that a little kitten has a character and does not want to learn the basics of upbringing. He flatly refuses to go to the tray in the designated place. Observe where the baby is making puddles or heaps. Place the tray in this place. If it suits you, the training can be considered complete. If not, then move the toilet daily about 10 cm towards the desired point.
Do not forget to make sure that the animal uses the litter box all this time. Practice shows that this method works, and in the future there will be no manifestations of “lack of culture”.
For savvy owners
Track where the kid went. Using a tissue, collect the waste, put it in the tray and show it to your pet. You should not use modern filler, as it absorbs odors. Finding a toilet in this case will be difficult for a kitten. Do not forget to thoroughly wash the place of the cat’s “feat” and scent it with an unpleasant smell for cats, for example, orange peels. The procedure will have to be repeated for 2-3 days until the baby himself understands the new skills.
For progressive hosts
It is about using a special litter box spray. Its aroma is such that it makes the cat want to go to the toilet correctly, that is, in a place determined by the owner. It is enough to sprinkle the sand in the tray. Along with the toilet trainer, buy a weaning agent for non-feline areas. Pre-wash the area with a disinfectant solution to eliminate stool odor.
How to train a kitten to a litter box in an apartment
Learn how to quickly train a kitten to the litter box. What recommendations should be followed. 5 Ways To Train Your Cats To Tray From Experienced Breeders.
The need to “do big and small things” in the earth or sand is laid in kittens at the level of instinct. But it happens that they do not always learn the necessary skills right away. If you accustom your baby from the first day when he got to your house, then he will soon comprehend this simple science. However, the owners will have to be patient.
Tips for toilet training
There are many ways to teach your kitten to be hygienic. There are also basic, universal tips that will be useful.
Choose a secluded spot for the tray. He has no place in the hallway or, even more so, in the kitchen, because people often go there. The bathroom is a better place, but the sound of the washing machine may scare the kitten. It is advisable to place the cat container in the bathroom, providing the animal with access to the room.
As soon as the kitten is brought into the house, put it in the litter box. This will allow the baby to get used to the new tactile sensations under the paws and to the smell of the filler. Be sure to put your cat in the litter box after eating and sleeping. If you see that the cat has chosen another place for intimate affairs, take him to the “toilet”.
Encourage the animal, do not punish it. As soon as you see that the animal is successfully mastering new skills, praise and pet him. You cannot scold the cat in the tray. Planting “on a pot” will be associated with punishment. Attempts to “poke your nose” into a pile or puddle of a cat do not work. The animal will grow up intimidated and nervous. We will not mention assault: this is unacceptable.
Arrange the trays in different places. If you have more than one animal, it is advisable that each of them has its own place for bowel movements. For example, if you have two cats, the ideal number of containers is 3. One for each cat plus an additional.
Clean the cat’s “bathroom” daily. Cleanliness is inherent in cats by nature. If you are too lazy to change the sand, the baby will find a clean place, even if you managed to teach him to order.
The frequency of complete replacement of the filler in the container is once a week. Before making a replacement, wash the container with soapy water. The best material for making it is plastic, since it is easy to wash.
Do not forget about treating areas outside the tray where the animal has already managed to get dirty. Thorough rinsing of the area with a disinfectant solution avoids such problems in the future.
Do not let the animal turn houseplants into a “bathroom”. Place them out of reach of the cat, or cover the ground with foil until the kitten has mastered the litter box.
Feed your pet hourly. This will simplify the task of planting it. Plus, you can track where the kitten is heading after eating.
If you want to switch to a different filler, make the habituation gradual by increasing the new composition. This will allow you to cope with the task without much effort.
We train the kitten to the litter box
When you pick up a kitten from the street, first of all, you need to train it to the litter box, otherwise it will ruin carpets, slippers, mattresses and other furniture. First, find out how a pet treats the toilet, if he does not know how to use it, then read the article: “How to train a kitten to the litter box.” If he has a habit of going where he should go, then you can take care of how to train him to use the litter box. Then cleaning the house is greatly simplified, because there is no filler and it does not crumble around the house. But in the absence of filler, you need to monitor the hygiene of the tray more often. You can also significantly save money, you do not have to buy litter for the tray once a month.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Tray Without Filler
Tray training your kitten decides on its own whether you need to regularly apply litter for the litter box or not. Each case has its own pros and cons.
The advantages of using a tray without filler are as follows:
- The owner no longer needs to clean up the bedding scattered by the pet every day, which he scattered when trying to bury the stool. In addition, most types of pellets are capable of sticking to the legs of a kitten and spreading along with it throughout the house.
- Some animals refuse to interact with the filler. At best, this is manifested in the fact that the pet does not bury the feces, at worst, it does not use the litter box.
- Some kittens, out of curiosity, try to eat pellets, including those contaminated with feces, after which they catch various diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Many types of bedding (in particular those that become clumpy when urine is absorbed) collect dust and pollute the room and the animal’s fur.
- The filler sometimes causes allergies in people, especially young children. In addition, the child can try to play with the “sand”.
- Finally, one can simply save.
The disadvantages of using a litter box are much more serious:
- Many cats like to bury their faeces due to their desire for cleanliness. If you deprive them of this opportunity, then they can start writing in the wrong places.
- The filler absorbs not only feces and urine, but also volatile substances, significantly reducing the level of unpleasant odor. If you refuse to add, then soon the smell will spread throughout the house.
- The use of filler allows cleaning at a convenient time for the owner, and not immediately after the animal has been defecating. If you abandon the filler, then you will have to clean up after the cat immediately after each bowel movement.
- If the urine is not absorbed by the bedding, then it will contaminate the pet’s paws and spread along with it throughout the apartment. Very soon, the smell will be felt not only in every room, but also from the owner’s clothes and hands.
If you still decide to use a cat litter box, then go directly to the steps.
We teach a kitten from scratch to walk into a tray without filler
If you are thinking of immediately accustoming a kitten to a litter box, then first of all, be patient. You cannot beat a pet, this will only spoil his psyche and cause rejection to the very process of habituation. In addition, cats are quite intelligent animals and oral edification will be enough (of course, they will not understand speech, but they will figure it out in intonation). You can cover all your favorite areas with paper with oilcloth to avoid problems, if the cat still gets used to going in the wrong place.
We retrain a kitten on a tray without filler
First of all, there is no need to rush. After the kitten has mastered the tray, 2-3 months should pass for the habit to finally take hold, and the tray is saturated with smell and attracts the animal. Of course, all this time, the bedding must be regularly updated, and the tray must be cleaned.
The easiest way to train a kitten to use the litter box is to gradually reduce the amount of bedding. Every week you need to reduce its weight by 150-200 grams. Of course, the pet will be uncomfortable with the fact that digging in the toilet becomes more and more difficult.
If at some point he begins to defecate in the wrong places, then you need to temporarily increase the amount of filler and stop to fix the result, and then continue the procedure for reducing the weight of the bedding.
In this case, it is necessary to update the filler more often. Over time, when you get rid of the bedding in the tray completely, you will need to quickly clean up after the animal immediately and every time after he went to the toilet.
Tip Drag the tray to the desired location
If the kitten has chosen a certain place, then it is better to move the tray there. Then it is necessary to gradually move the pot to the desired corner and room, moving the toilet every day 10 cm closer to the point where it should be located according to the plan.
How to choose a tray
The opinion that a small kitten needs a small litter box is wrong. These animals grow very quickly.
Trays can be with or without grates. The grid fits over the padding to keep the paws from getting wet. The device is convenient, but there is also a minus. obeying its instinct to bury excrements, the kitten will constantly cling to the plastic grate with its claws and may even damage them. The practice of “cat breeders” shows that it is better not to use a net, but just take a good filler that immediately absorbs moisture.
If the cat is in pain, it will not be possible to accustom him to the bars.
The shape of the container does not matter (there are oval, square, angular), you can accustom to anyone. A protective rim, which is put on the top of the tray, will be useful. it will not allow the filler to crumble when your pet is diligently cleaning up after itself.
Important! It is necessary to choose a tray for a kitten even before a new family member appears in the house. If the purchase of an animal occurred unexpectedly, it is worth purchasing everything you need on the same day.
Kittens are the same children. Like any baby, a kitten learns everything gradually from its mother. A mother cat living in an apartment, over time, can teach her own spraying to walk into the tray. But when the pet is taken away from the parent, the owners will have to deal with its upbringing.
Age matters. It is best to take a kitten when he is already 3 months old, then it will be easier to teach him. By this period, the animal already understands the hierarchy of the surrounding creatures and is ready to obey those whom it considers stronger than itself.
The sex of the kitten is not important, and the kitten and the cat will master the task quickly, if devout correctly.
There may be several reasons for this:
- The sides of the container are too high and it is difficult for him to climb over.
- The pet is still very small and poorly oriented within the boundaries of space.
- He understands that this is a toilet and must walk here, but he does not like the filler.
Analyze which of the reasons seems most likely to you. Perhaps it is worth changing the container, its contents, or just wait until the baby grows up a little and will better understand where the boundaries of his toilet end.
Stage two. we observe and help
From the first time, a small kitten may not understand where to defecate or not remember the place. But by the behavior of the animal, you can always tell when it is preparing to relieve itself. The first day you will have to closely watch your pet. As soon as you notice that the kitten began to fuss, dig in some place (sometimes even just on the bare floor), spin, meow. he prepares for “business”. Transfer it quickly to the tray and keep it from getting out of it.
The main rule is that you cannot use force (beat, push, poke a kitten) and raise your voice. This can cause fear in the animal. Henceforth, he will associate it with the tray and will become afraid to approach him.
If everything went well and the baby did the right thing, stroke him and say sweet words. The approval will help train your kitten to walk in the litter box. Do not immediately clean up the stool, let the kitten remember the place by smell.