Sometimes the animal continues to shit in the wrong places, even after it has learned to go to its toilet. Smells may also be the reason: a child once wrote on a carpet or sofa, the cat feels urine and simply follows its instincts. Sometimes the cat can go to other places when strangers are in the house.
The pet should be scolded, but in no case should it be beaten. The place should be well cleaned, and treated with ammonia or vinegar solution. these smells scare cats away. The problem is unlikely to recur when the odor is completely eliminated.
It happens that a kitten goes to the toilet past the tray. If your pet is still very small, he simply does not yet orientate himself within the boundaries of the toilet.
The pet can also experience discomfort in the absence of filler and therefore does not sit inside the container. Try filling the pot with filler for a while and see if the situation changes.
When a kitten is small and just learning new skills, it is very important to find the right place.
It is not recommended to place a cat litter box:
- In rooms with slamming doors.
- Near the food area.
- Indoors where it is noisy and bustling.
Cats, like humans, prefer to “do their own thing” in a calm, secluded environment.
The accustoming process
Everyone probably knows that a cat, when choosing a place to relieve needs, is guided by smell. The new item smells specific and is unlikely to arouse interest in the pet as a toilet.
So, step-by-step steps on how to teach your pet to walk to the right place.
How to quickly train a kitten to use a litter box
When a kitten appears in the house, you need to take care of its toilet. A cat is a clean animal and will go to the same place if everything is “explained” to her correctly. How to quickly train a kitten to use a litter box, and will the pet go to an empty pot? It’s actually not that hard to do.
Pour some filler into a bowl and place your baby in it. Do not make sudden movements, the animal may get scared and then will not come to the container for a long time. It is unlikely that the pet will be able to immediately go to a new, unfamiliar place, give him time to get used to it. Plant it several times during the day.
If during this time the cat “lays a surprise” in another place, do not scold him, but transfer the heap to the pot and leave it there for a while so that the smell is absorbed into the contents.
How to choose a tray
Many cat pots are built with a lattice. On the one hand, it is convenient. the cat will not wet its paws, although “small” into an empty container. On the other hand, the animal, following instinct, will bury its excrements and cling to the bars with its claws. This can hurt the kitten, and he will refuse to return to the place next time. Therefore, the lattice question is very controversial.
The shape of the container is not important, as are all other design features. The tray should be comfortable for the kitten, not you. The main thing is that the container is roomy and made of high-quality plastic.
Before you train your kitten to walk in a litter box, it is important to consolidate the result. When your pet has already realized that this is his pot and even pleased you with the first successes, do not rush to empty the pot.
Let the container sit with the filler for 3-4 weeks. Do not forget to regularly clean the contents, the cat will not do his business where it is very dirty.
When the animal is already comfortable and used to the toilet, you can try using a litter box. The container has already managed to absorb the smell, which may not be perceptible to a person, but will be well felt by a cat. Just empty the pot and leave it in the same place.
When your pet does his job, immediately clean up after him, otherwise the unpleasant “aroma” will quickly fill the house.
To help the kitten quickly get used to the new regimen, heed the advice of veterinarians on potty training for young animals.
- Place the tray in a quiet, calm place where there are no crowds and no one will disturb your baby.
- Choose a tray with a wide area and low sides. It will be more convenient for kittens to get used to such a container.
- Dispose of any liquid waste under the grate immediately. Solid waste products also require instant cleaning.
- Rinse the litter box after each kitten use.
How to train?
In a responsible and patient owner, the kitten will begin to walk in the tray without fail by 2 months. It is possible to accustom your baby to a tray without filler by observing the following steps.
- First, it is important to teach your kitten how to use a litter pot. Pour some pellets into the tray and place the kitten on top. Do not force him to go to the toilet, do not sit down, just watch. Plant it several times throughout the day. If the fluffy child has gone to a different place to use the toilet, transfer the waste products to the tray for a while. You can soak a piece of newspaper with liquid waste and put it in a pot. After a while, the kitten will understand why a litter box is needed.
- Do not remove the litter as soon as your pet gets used to going to the right place. Leave the pellets for 3-4 weeks, do not forget to clean the pot regularly, accustoming the kitten to cleanliness.
- After the specified time, you can try to train your pet to toilet in an empty litter box. Now the baby knows where he should perform his intimate procedures, studied the container, even a thoroughly cleaned tray retains the appropriate smell, and the kitten will quickly get used to when it is in an empty tray.
- If the kitten does not immediately figure out what to do with an empty tray, you can try to free the pot of granules gradually, reducing the amount of litter every week, thereby weaning him off the use of absorbent lumps. When at the end of the weaning period only a handful of pebbles remain in the container, of course, the kitten will not like it, but over time he will get used to it.
This method will not allow the baby to fall into a state of shock when he sees an empty tray.
Pros and cons of no litter tray
Each cat and cat owner chooses for himself whether to use a special cat litter. Each case has its own advantages and disadvantages. The pros of using an empty pot are.
- The hostess does not have to collect the pellets scattered by the cat all over the house every day. In addition, many species can stick to the pet’s paws and spread around the apartment.
- Some cats do not recognize litter at all, it is more convenient for them to visit an empty litter box. Although in general it is still a rarity.
- Many pets cannot resist the temptation to taste the pellets, with most fillers negatively impacting the pet’s health when ingested. Kittens especially like to eat filler.
- In many cases, the use of filler is unhygienic. Some species (for example, clumping) collect a lot of dust and leave marks on the animal’s fur.
- The use of filler is not recommended in an apartment where small children live, as young owners are often not averse to playing with pebbles.
- Another plus of avoiding filler is cost savings. Some varieties are quite expensive.
At the same time, the use of filler has significant advantages.
- Most cats still like to dig in granules, hide waste products behind them.
- When using filler in the house, there is much less smell.
- The use of some granules does not require instant cleaning of liquid waste.
- It is easier to clean the tray after the filler, it can be done more thoroughly.
How to quickly train a kitten to use a litter box?
From the very first days of the appearance of a kitten in the house, you need to start accustoming him to the tray. The younger the pet is, the easier it is to toilet train it. However, the difficulty arises if the owners do not want to use the filler. Perhaps they prefer to put granules under the grate or do without them altogether. lay a newspaper, pour water, pour soda. In any case, it is more difficult to potty train a kitten without filler.
What to use instead of filler?
Instead of filler, sand or sawdust can be poured under the grate. Another option is to use plain water. Pour a little liquid on the bottom, you can sprinkle a little soda (it absorbs the smell), and put a grate on top. This option is suitable for trays where the grid is located quite high.
You can just put a newspaper on, however, you will have to change it after each urination of the pet. That is, this method is suitable for those owners who have the opportunity to always be at home.
You can use the above-mentioned soda in the case of using sand or sawdust. Sprinkle the powder on the bottom and sprinkle the granules on top. This method will allow you to maintain a pleasant atmosphere in the house for longer. Some owners do not add anything to the tray at all. they leave it empty and put a grate on top. However, in this case, an unpleasant smell may spread throughout the apartment if the pot is not rinsed in time.
Veterinarian’s tips for litter training can be found in the video below.
How to train a kitten to use the litter box? 10 tips
Cats are unique representatives of the animal world, combining an obstinate character, sophistication, grace and incredible tenderness towards their owner. Having a new furry family member is always exciting. But, besides the search for food and a house, the most pressing question is on the agenda. how to train a kitten to the litter box.
There are various methods and even special tools that will help the kitten in mastering the pot. It doesn’t matter which approach you choose, the main thing is to be patient. with the right actions, the learning process goes quickly.
Types of tray fillers
Which filler to choose is the business of every owner. There are absorbent fillers from wood, clay, mineral and silica gel on the market. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages, and they also differ in cost.
For example, silica gel filler makes a lot of noise, and corn litter sticks to the paws, which may not be pleasant to the baby. Mineral also has its drawbacks: a curious cat will want to try it on a tooth, of course, it will not harm health, but it can cause abdominal pain, refusal to eat and constipation. You should also give up strong fragrances that will not like the sensitive sense of smell.
Don’t forget to get a faeces scoop. It is important to understand that at the first stage, when accustoming to the tray, you cannot do without filler, so it will be easier for the cat to understand his place. Many make a mistake and begin to accustom the kitten to an empty litter box, of course, each cat has its own character, but this will take a long time and may not be successful. Buy fillers that resemble sand, so the kitten will immediately figure out what to do and all training can end in 10 minutes.
How to teach a kitten to walk in a litter box
You have passed the preparatory stage: you bought a tray and chose a location. Now the learning process begins. The main thing is to be patient and not punish the baby.
- Put the kitten in a pot, let it sniff, sit and even lie in the tray.
- Do not forget to pour in the filler, do not worry if the cat wants to play in it. this is typical for babies.
- Take your pet to the toilet after each meal and while playing. When you see that the cat wants to relieve himself and takes a characteristic pose, immediately carry him to the tray. Do not worry if after the first time he does not return there, give the new resident some time.
- In small animals, the urge to empty occurs 20 minutes after eating. If you follow the schedule or feed the baby at a strictly allotted time, it will be possible to track his further movement. 20 minutes after eating, take the animal to the toilet yourself and sit next to it.
- If the kitten does not understand why the litter box is needed, sit next to it and scratch with your finger in the litter, showing the characteristic movements of cats.
- After successful completion of the procedure, be sure to praise the pet and never punish. The fear that he will experience can affect your future relationship and instead of using the toilet, the cat will start running in corners or, even worse, will find a secluded place where he will start to relieve himself.
- When the four-legged pile left the pile in the wrong place, use a spatula to transfer it to the pot and show it to the cat again.
- A corner, carpet or sofa, where the cat left traces of its vital activity, must be washed and thoroughly cleaned. Smelling its smell, the animal will want to repeat its actions in the wrong place.
- When the kitten continues to go to the toilet in the wrong place, put a bowl of water and food there, given the cleanliness of the tailed, they will never go to the toilet where they eat.
Choosing the right place for the tray
All cats love solitude, so you need to place the toilet in a secluded place where there are no frightening extraneous sounds, for example, you should not place the tray near the washing machine.
Access to the toilet should always be open, so carefully consider the place where the tray will stand so that it does not interfere with the residents of the house and is convenient for a new friend.
What type of tray to choose
- The mesh tray is one of the most common types chosen by owners. It’s practical and cheap. When purchasing such a tray, you must constantly monitor its cleanliness, otherwise, the furry friend will go to relieve himself in another place. It is important to understand that the cat will never go into a dirty litter box and will endure until it becomes unbearable. Then you can easily find a puddle in any part of the apartment. When giving preference to such a model, pay attention to the presence of sides, the higher the better, this increases the level of hygiene.
- A high tray with silica gel filler. suitable for those owners who have to leave the kitten alone for 2-3 days and cannot ask friends or acquaintances to visit the pet and clean it up. The main advantage is that the filler retains the smell, which means that the cat will be able to go to the toilet several times.
- Tray with filler. features high sides and is presented in the mid-price range.
- Dressing house. such a product is suitable for owners of private houses, since there is simply no suitable place for this design in standard apartments. In addition to the main function, it can become part of the interior and not stand out against the main background, like a regular tray. The cost of such products is high, but the cat will definitely appreciate the gift, because most of all in life the mustache love solitude.
How to potty train a cat: the initial stage
The formation of habits in tailed beasts occurs from 2 to 7 weeks. If at this time the pet is with the breeder, then the responsibility lies with him. When, for some reason, the moment of training is missed, there is no need to worry, the kitten lends itself to training, and the information transmitted by the mother will serve as the basis for gaining new knowledge.
Limit your kitten’s movement around the house
To train a month old kitten to litter, in the first few weeks of living in a new home, move him to a separate room or separate part of the room with a fence. Place everything you need for a baby’s life there: a bed, a tray, bowls, toys.
This will help the kitten get used to the new habitat and facilitate the toilet training process. The tray will always be in sight of the baby, he can easily use it if necessary.
Do not place the tray next to food and drink utensils and a bed, it should be in the opposite corner.
Use positive motivation
Celebrate the victory every time the kitten went to the toilet in the litter box.
- Praise the kitten when he did everything right. For every successful trip to the tray, praise your baby, gently stroke him and talk to him.
- Do not scold if he missed or did his business in the wrong place. Even if the cat shits anywhere, do not try to get angry and scold her!
- As soon as you see the kitten latching on past the litter box, calmly carry it to the litter box and stand by to praise it when the process is complete.
How to train a kitten to the litter box. step by step instructions
If you have adopted a kitten that your cat mom hasn’t taught to walk in the tray, you will have to teach the kitten to walk in the tray instead. How to quickly and easily do this you will learn from our instructions.
Choose the right filler
Choosing litter for the litter box is another important step in the toilet training process. It is necessary to start from the preferences of the kitten, they may not coincide with yours. The kid should like the filler, it should be convenient for him to bury his affairs.
- Many kittens like litter that has the consistency of soil or beach sand.
- Some cats eat litter, so choose natural and safe.
- For small kittens, brands with flavors and fillers with antibacterial properties that contain chemicals that are toxic to kittens are not suitable.
- Clumping litter boxes are suitable for adult cats, but are hazardous to kittens who can swallow the clump.
- Fillers with wood pellets and corn pellets are best for toilet training.
- Until the cat is used to the litter box, do not change the litter type.
- Pour the filler to a height of 2-4 cm.
Choose the correct tray
Don’t buy a tray that is too small. Buy large enough so you don’t need to change it later. The training process is best done with a tray that you plan to use for a long time.
- Choose spacious trays with not very high sides so that the little kitten can get there without any problems.
- Some hosts use disposable trays during the training process.
- There should be two litter boxes for every cat in the house.
- Some kittens like closed models of trays, because they hide them from prying eyes, but some cats are afraid of closed boxes.
What will you learn from the article
This article will show you how to train your kitten to litter box yourself. Step-by-step instructions for those who have just bought a kitten, is it worth using training tools, answers to all questions on this topic.
We train the kitten to the litter box
When you pick up a kitten from the street, first of all, you need to train it to the litter box, otherwise it will ruin carpets, slippers, mattresses and other furniture. First, find out how a pet treats the toilet, if he does not know how to use it, then read the article: “How to train a kitten to the litter box.” If he has a habit of going where he should go, then you can take care of how to train him to use the litter box. Then cleaning the house is greatly simplified, because there is no filler and it does not crumble around the house. But in the absence of filler, you need to monitor the hygiene of the tray more often. You can also significantly save money, you do not have to buy litter for the tray once a month.
(Proven Method) How to Litter Train a Kitten
Advantages and Disadvantages of Tray Without Filler
Tray training your kitten decides on its own whether you need to regularly use the litter for the litter box or not. Each case has its own pros and cons.
The advantages of using a tray without filler are as follows:
- The owner no longer needs to clean up the bedding scattered by the pet every day, which he scattered when trying to bury the stool. In addition, most types of pellets are capable of sticking to the legs of a kitten and spreading along with it throughout the house.
- Some animals refuse to interact with the filler. At best, this is manifested in the fact that the pet does not bury the feces, at worst, it does not use the litter box.
- Some kittens, out of curiosity, try to eat pellets, including those contaminated with feces, after which they catch various diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Many types of bedding (in particular those that become clumpy when urine is absorbed) collect dust and pollute the room and the animal’s fur.
- The filler sometimes causes allergies in people, especially young children. In addition, the child can try to play with the “sand”.
- Finally, one can simply save.
The disadvantages of using a litter box are much more serious:
- Many cats like to bury their faeces due to their desire for cleanliness. If you deprive them of this opportunity, then they can start writing in the wrong places.
- The filler absorbs not only feces and urine, but also volatile substances, significantly reducing the level of unpleasant odor. If you refuse to add, then soon the smell will spread throughout the house.
- The use of filler allows cleaning at a convenient time for the owner, and not immediately after the animal has been defecating. If you abandon the filler, then you will have to clean up after the cat immediately after each bowel movement.
- If the urine is not absorbed by the bedding, then it will contaminate the pet’s paws and spread along with it throughout the apartment. Very soon, the smell will be felt not only in every room, but also from the clothes and hands of the owner.
If you still decide to use a cat litter box without litter, then go directly to the steps.
We retrain a kitten on a tray without filler
First of all, there is no need to rush. After the kitten has mastered the tray, 2-3 months should pass for the habit to finally take hold, and the tray is saturated with smell and attracts the animal. Of course, all this time, the bedding must be regularly updated, and the tray must be cleaned.
The easiest way to train a kitten to use the litter box is to gradually reduce the amount of bedding. Every week you need to reduce its weight by 150-200 grams. Of course, the pet will be uncomfortable with the fact that digging in the toilet becomes more and more difficult.
If at some point he begins to defecate in the wrong places, then you need to temporarily increase the amount of filler and stop to fix the result, and then continue the procedure for reducing the weight of the bedding.
In this case, it is necessary to update the filler more often. Over time, when you get rid of the bedding in the tray completely, you will need to quickly clean up after the animal immediately and every time after he went to the toilet.
Tray training methods
Of course, you first need to purchase all the necessary “toilet” accessories. Much depends on the choice of tray and filler for it.
- Purchase a large container. Cats grow fast so you don’t have to spend money on a new accessory.
- Give preference to a closed model. Many cats are shy by nature and try to keep the corner for intimate affairs secluded.
- Don’t forget to buy a rubber bucket mat and a scoop spatula. The rug is needed so that the cat does not carry sand on its paws.
Now. about the trouble-free methods that will allow you to train your pet to use the litter box in the apartment.
The first 2-3 days of staying in a new place, limit the movement of the animal around the house. Let it be a kitchen or one of the rooms. It is advisable that there are no carpets on the floor. This will make it easier to clean up the pet. The kitten can easily find its way to the toilet and quickly learn how to use it for its intended purpose. Consider the first victory won.
The baby’s body is designed in such a way that immediately after eating, the kitten will want “on business”. Observe your pet. As soon as the kitten starts “looking for a place”, carefully take it and take it to the tray. Try not to press on your tummy.
How to Litter Box Train Little Kittens
To make the kitten quickly understand what is required of him, take his paw with your hand and dig in the sand. Do not forget to pet the cat, talk to him affectionately, praise him after he has done his job. Repeat these steps for 2-3 days. This is enough to teach your pet to “potty-walk” on its own.
It often happens that a cat has a character and does not want to learn the basics of upbringing. The beast flatly refuses to go to the tray in the designated place. Observe where the baby is making puddles or heaps. Place the tray in this place. If it suits you, the training can be considered complete. If not, then move the toilet daily about 10 cm towards the desired point.
Do not forget to make sure that the animal uses the litter box all this time. Practice shows that this method works, and in the future there will be no manifestations of “lack of culture”.
Track where the kid went. Using a tissue, collect the waste, put it in the tray and show it to your pet. You should not use modern filler, as it absorbs odors. Finding a toilet in this case will be difficult for a kitten. Do not forget to thoroughly wash the place of the feline “feat” and scent it with an unpleasant smell for cats, for example, orange peels. The procedure will have to be repeated for 2-3 days until the baby himself understands the new skills.
It is about using a special litter box spray. Its aroma is such that it makes the cat want to go to the toilet correctly, that is, in a place determined by the owner. It is enough to sprinkle the sand in the tray. Along with the toilet trainer, buy a weaning agent for non-feline areas. Pre-wash the area with a disinfectant solution to eliminate stool odor.
Tray training your kitten
Learn how to quickly train a kitten to the litter box. What recommendations should be followed. 5 Ways To Train Your Cats To Tray From Experienced Breeders.
The need to “do big and small things” in the ground or sand is inherent in kittens at the level of instinct. But it happens that they do not always learn the necessary skills right away. If you accustom your baby from the first day when he got to your house, then he will soon comprehend this simple science. However, the owners will have to be patient.
There are many ways to teach your kitten to be hygienic. There are also basic, universal tips that will be useful.
Choose a secluded spot for the tray. He has no place in the hallway or, even more so, in the kitchen, because people often go there. The bathroom is a better place, but the sound of the washing machine may scare the kitten. It is advisable to place the cat container in the bathroom, providing the animal with access to the room.
As soon as the kitten is brought into the house, put it in the litter box. This will allow the baby to get used to the new tactile sensations under the paws and to the smell of the filler. Be sure to put your cat in the litter box after eating and sleeping. If you see that the cat has chosen another place for intimate affairs, take him to the “toilet”.
Encourage the animal, do not punish it. As soon as you see that the animal is successfully mastering new skills, praise and pet him. You cannot scold the cat in the tray. Planting “on a pot” will be associated with punishment. Attempts to “poke your nose” into a pile or puddle of a cat do not work. The animal will grow up intimidated and nervous. We will not mention assault: this is unacceptable.
Arrange the trays in different locations. If you have more than one animal, it is advisable that each of them has its own place for bowel movements. For example, if you have two cats, the ideal number of containers is 3. One for each cat plus an additional.
Clean the cat’s “bathroom” daily. Cleanliness is inherent in cats by nature. If you are too lazy to change the sand, the baby will find a clean place, even if you managed to accustom him to order.
The frequency of complete replacement of the filler in the container is once a week. Before making a replacement, wash the container with soapy water. The best material for making it is plastic, since it is easy to wash.
Do not forget about treating areas outside the tray where the animal has already managed to get dirty. Thorough rinsing of the area with a disinfectant solution avoids such problems in the future.
Do not let the animal turn houseplants into a “bathroom”. Place them out of reach of the cat, or cover the ground with foil until the kitten has mastered the litter box.
Feed your pet hourly. This will simplify the task of planting it. Plus, you can track where the kitten is heading after eating.
If you want to switch to a different filler, make the habituation gradual, increasing the new composition. This will allow you to cope with the task without much effort.
The cat shits on the carpet and in the corners
When accustoming a kitten to the litter box, you can accidentally hear an unpleasant smell coming from the carpet from the living room or from the most distant corner.
Health problems can be the reason for this behavior. If a cat has chosen a fluffy carpet, then something hurts him, and it hurts him to go to the toilet made of solid filler. It may be urolithiasis. To find out, take the test to the veterinarian to confirm or deny concerns.
The cat can choose corners or places under the bed if it is in a state of fear received from angry and cruel owners or from external strong noise, for example, repairs. Change your attitude towards the furry family member or complete the repair as soon as possible and then the condition of the animal will improve, and he will easily learn to use the litter box.
It is not uncommon for a cat, being small, to go to the toilet perfectly. And when they reach sexual maturity, problems arise, and all methods and means are useless, there is only one way out. castration in cats or sterilization in cats. And then peace will be established in the house.
How to train your kitten to use the litter box
Here are a few tips you can follow to quickly train your kitten to the litter box.
- The first thing to do is to limit the space in which your new family member eats, sleeps, frolics. Such a measure is necessary so that the kitten is always in sight for the first few days. Try to place this area closer to the room where you are most of the time. In this case, it will be possible to constantly keep the kitten in sight and quickly take action if he does not want to use the tray.
- It is necessary immediately, as soon as the kitten got into the new room, show him the tray and the place where he stands. Place the fluffy household in the litter tray from time to time so they can remember the scent.
- Strictly control food intake and sleep time so that it is immediately taken to the pot.
- When placing the kitten in the litter box, see if it drips clay or sawdust. If not, then take it by the paws and make raking movements with them. Such attempts must be repeated several times.
- The kitten must be constantly supervised. If you notice that he sits down past the tray, carefully without sudden movements and haste, move the baby to the tray. He will have no choice but to use your service. When finished, be sure to pet him and praise him.
- If, nevertheless, an “accident” occurs, blot the puddle with an odorless napkin and put it in the filler. The smell of urine in cats is very persistent and will attract his attention next time.
- For exemplary behavior, be sure to praise the kitten by talking affectionately with him. And if the kitten repeatedly avoids the litter box, be patient, do not try to shout at him, let alone beat him hard, and be persistent in the process of training the kitten to the litter box.
If the cat shits everywhere
But sometimes it happens so, no matter how much you make efforts to train the cat to the litter box, from time to time she shits where she pleases. It often seems that the cat is doing this because of their resentment. But this is not the case. In fact, this “disgrace” may have several reasons.
In this state of affairs, experts advise to make a complete examination of the feline body. After all, stubborn ignorance of the filler can signal the initial stage of serious diseases. These can be kidney or bladder problems, constipation, or an inflammation of the thyroid gland. If the doctor did not reveal any pathology, then the reason for the hooliganism lies only in your untidiness. For a cat to feel comfortable, a minimum of effort is required, namely:
- Throw away a lump of wet filler daily;
- Renew it in small doses;
- Be sure to remove all litter once a week so that you can thoroughly wash the tray using a urinary stone remover and disinfectant. Wipe the tray dry.
If the activities described above are performed by you with enviable regularity, you need to look for another reason for refusing the tray. It could be the quality of the filler itself. It is good to use the same filler that was used by the breeder. It is possible to use the same absorbent composition. A cat, according to a practiced habit, will definitely sit on such a soil.
When changing the filler, this must be done with caution. Add a little at first so that the cat can get used to it, and then replace it completely after a while.
It is necessary to separately talk about the filler. It comes in a variety of qualities, sizes and uses. Fillers are divided into:
- Moisture absorbing;
The first and second are made from a specific clay or wood shavings pressed into specific granules. The latter are made from specially processed polysilicon clay. But due to the complex form of manufacture, such a filler is much more expensive than others. Its high cost is offset by its great economy, so one serving can be used up to four weeks.
If the cat does not go to the litter box, but shits anywhere, then the litter is not suitable for her. And you will have to deal with its selection.
The appearance of a kitten in the house. such a decision should be made at the family council, since its presence should cause positive emotions. If you are bothered by the noise caused by the playfulness of the kitten, its nightly “vigils”, the wool constantly flying in the air, then with the acquisition of a kitten you need to wait.
The next step is where the tray will stand. The corner should be secluded, since the little boy does not like to flaunt his affairs. A toilet or bathroom is good for these purposes, provided there is enough space. The main thing is that the pipes do not rattle there and the water does not make loud noise, which can scare the baby away.
It is important to ask the breeders or previous owners how their kitten went to the toilet. If a filler of a certain brand was used, then purchase just such for the first time, and then gradually replace it with the one you prefer. If the kitten went to the newspaper, then you will have to use this option, and then switch to a more convenient one.
And remember, the litter box must appear in the house with the kitten, and no inheritance from previous furry tenants or neighbors. Cats have a great scent, and no matter how hard you try to wash the used tray for the new owner, everything will be ineffectual.
What to do if the cat shits on the floor
The cat has an excellent tray with excellent filler, but he still prefers sex, then you should think about it, is not a family favorite in search of a girlfriend? This will be shown by his behavior. on the one hand, an excited state, accompanied by wandering around the apartment with an unnatural meow, and on the other hand, the cat shows increased affection, constantly rubs, “hugs”. The puddles will appear in different places and have a very intense smell. If you are careful, then during such a period you can see how the cat from time to time lifts its tail and shakes it.
Of course, the best way out is to provide the cat with a sexual partner. But if this is not possible, then you will have to limit yourself to special drugs that inhibit the sexual activity of the cat.
How to train a kitten to use a litter box
Buying a filler entails tangible expenses for the family budget. If you can’t afford it, you can train your kitten to walk in a litter box. Show the tray to the baby, bury it along the bottom with your paws. If, nevertheless, a puddle appears in the wrong place, blot it with a clean, odorless napkin and place it in the tray to transfer the kitten’s amber to it.
After some attempts, the kitten will learn to walk into an empty litter box. But it is important that after each toilet, be sure to wash the cuvette with clean water, without bleach or any kind of detergent. Otherwise, a urinary calculus quickly forms at the bottom.
Often, cat owners use a torn newspaper as filler for the tray. Kittens like this way. But again, this “filler” must be removed after each trip to the toilet. Otherwise, the pet will ignore the wet litter box and do its job elsewhere.
The version of the tray without filler is suitable only for owners who are constantly at home and can clean up after the kitten in a timely manner. If the kitten is alone at home all day or most of it, then the option of free-flowing litter for the tray will be the only acceptable one. In a filler poured in a sufficient amount, a pet can go several times without problems. Only when you come home from work, do him something nice. put the tray in order.
Training a kitten to the litter box is easy and simple
Many people think that litter training quickly is an impossible task. This article will help you cope with this task without any problems.
How to get rid of an unpleasant odor
In the process of training a kitten to the tray, it causes chagrin when the baby walks by. But the smell of urine from a pre-puberty kitten is not very irritating to the sense of smell and is easily cleaned out. But if an adult cat confuses the tray with a sofa, carpet or master’s clothes and commits an indecent act, then it will be very difficult to completely get rid of the strong amber.
Here are some tips suggested by our readers:
- The easiest way is to dab a wet spot on the upholstery of a sofa, carpet, bed with an old cloth or paper towel, toilet paper, or newspaper. In this case, make only pressing movements and in no case rub. This will significantly increase the area exuding the scent.
- A solution of vinegar with water in a ratio of one to two removes the specific odor well. It is necessary to apply this solution several times with a spray bottle on the stained area, each time allowing it to dry. Will enhance the effect of using a washing vacuum cleaner for cleaning.
- Regular baking soda is good at eliminating urine odor. Sprinkle the washed area with baking soda, apply a mixture of 3% hydrogen peroxide and dishwashing liquid on top. Spread the soap solution thoroughly over the soda powder, let dry and vacuum clean.
- They carry out excellent disinfection, and therefore remove the smell, manganese-sour potassium or iodine. To do this, prepare a weak solution of potassium permanganate or an iodine solution of ten drops per liter of water. But it is worth remembering that each of these products can color the treated surface. Therefore, before use, be sure to test on an inconspicuous area.
- It is possible to use fresh lemon juice. The citrus scent will not only remove the urine smell, but also prevent relapse, as the cat does not like this smell.
- Laundry soap is a universal remedy in the fight against the consequences of untidiness of a cat.
Ways to train your kitten to the litter box
Cats are naturally very clean. But a small kitten, especially if it is cut off from its mother, will not always be able to independently learn to relieve itself in the “right place”. Learn how to train your kitten to the litter box as quickly as possible. After all, if you do not educate your pet, unexpected “surprises” may await the owners in various places.
Stage two. we observe and help
From the first try, a small kitten may not understand where to defecate or not remember the place. But by the behavior of the animal, you can always tell when it is preparing to relieve itself. The first day you will have to closely watch your pet. As soon as you notice that the kitten began to fuss, dig in some place (sometimes even just on the bare floor), spin, meow. he prepares for “business”. Transfer it quickly to the tray and keep it from getting out of it.
The main rule is that you cannot use force (beat, push, poke a kitten) and raise your voice. This can cause fear in the animal. Henceforth, he will associate it with the tray and will be afraid to approach him.
If everything went well and the baby did what was needed, stroke him and say affectionate words. The approval will help train your kitten to walk in the litter box. Do not immediately remove the stool, let the kitten remember the place by smell.
Where to put the litter box to quickly train your kitten?
There are two important rules for choosing where the pot will stand:
- It should be away from the area where the animal will feed.
- Nothing should hinder the cat on the way to the litter box.
Avoid placing the container in a toilet with tightly closing doors. The crumb may not have enough strength to open such a door and he will do his job anywhere. At least for the first time, it is recommended to find such a place, on the way to which the “fluffy ball” will not have any barriers.
It is worth choosing an area where it is calm enough for the kitten to feel comfortable during “important things”. If you constantly rearrange the pot, it will be much more difficult to train.
How to toilet train a kitten
What could be better when the cat itself goes to the toilet? No need to buy litters, change them, wash pots. Toilet training is not an easy process. While the pet is small, it will not be able to jump to such a height on its own, and there is no point in planting it there forcibly. you will not achieve anything but fear from the animal.
It is worth starting the process when the cat is 5-6 months old. They do it this way:
- Move the litter box to the washroom and place it next to the toilet.
- When the cat is comfortable and comfortable going to the toilet in a new place, begin to slowly lift the container. You can put newspapers (magazines, old books) or something else under it. Increase the height of the container by a few centimeters once a week.
- Having brought the container to the level of the toilet in this way, start leaving it, for example, overnight, directly on top: fold the lid with the toilet seat and put the tray in the space. By this time, your pet should already easily climb onto the raised pot.
- When the cat is calmly walking into the container on the toilet, do this: hide the tray at night, throw a small part of the filler into the toilet. In the morning, you can return the tray and leave it nearby for the day. Do this at night first. When you see that your cat is sitting quietly on the toilet, do not return the litter box.
Advice! If you brought a kitten into your home, treat it like an equal member of the family. Animals feel the emotions of people, and the more love they receive, the more they obey.
Cats have a wayward character and not always everything goes well. It happens that all the conditions have been created for the little bully, but he still misbehaves and it is not possible to train him. Let’s consider the most common problems.
Stage three. fix
Even if the cat is already walking into the litter box, he can still plant a “surprise” in a different place. It is already possible to scold your pet for this, but not much. The “bunch” should be transferred to the litter and the kitten should be transferred to the tray. If it is a puddle, blot it with a tissue and also leave it in the tray for a while.
On average, if done correctly, animals get used to the toilet in 2-3 days.
Kitten in the house, where to start?
Tray training begins with three main tasks:
- Selecting the tray itself.
- Filler selection.
- Choosing a place where the “toilet” will be.