Choosing a cage for a jungarik
A cage for a Dzungarian hamster is different from the houses of other rodents. It is necessary to equip the animal’s dwelling so that it is comfortable and convenient.
The size of the cage for a Dzungarian hamster depends on the characteristics and habits of the animal. Animals of this breed are very mobile and active. In the wild, they run about ten kilometers per day. Hamsters prefer climbing stairs and mazes, so they need a free area. To keep the kid active, buy him a tunnel or a small corral.
It is better for a rodent to purchase a one-story spacious dwelling, with a standard size of 50 by 30 cm. Large cages for djungar hamsters do not harm health, unlike small ones. A small limited area causes stress, obesity, decreased immunity and the development of cardiovascular diseases in the rodent.
Advantages of one-story cells:
- Low price compared to multi-storey houses.
- Easy to clean and wash.
- Just do it yourself.
- Inside you can install a house, a running wheel, a tunnel and other toys.
What should be in the cage
To keep your pet cheerful, active, mobile and healthy, equip his home:
It is difficult to say how much a cage for a jungarik costs. The price depends on the size, number of floors and additional items inside it.
In addition to single-storey cottages for the dzungarik, multi-storey cottages are installed. The number of floors depends on the nature of the pet, some rodents like to climb stairs and run in mazes. A large number of floors will allow you to install toys for an active lifestyle. Recommendations will help you choose the right cage:
- The distance between floors must be at least 20 centimeters. This will allow you to mount the running wheel and other tall items.
- The space between the first and second spans should not be more than 30 centimeters. The rodent can fall from a height and get injured.
- The lower part of the floor should be made of solid plastic. The grill can damage the hamster’s foot, causing inconvenience when running. Pieces of food fall into it.
- Choose a room where you can adjust the height of the floors. Dzungariki grow quickly, love to run, they should have a lot of free space.
- Consider the habits of the animal when setting up the house. On the lower floor, the rodent should walk, the upper one is for sleeping.
When purchasing a house for rodents, consider how many animals will live in it. For a family of hamsters, three-story cages are suitable. Two-story houses are chosen by the owners of one or two hamsters.
What should be the pallet?
The comfortable life of a pet is influenced not only by the size of the territory, the number of floors and the configuration of the dwelling. The cleanliness of the animal’s house and its health depend on the pallet. When choosing a stand, consider:
- Depth. the more it is, the better. Small active dzungariki can fall out of the shallow pallet. Less debris and dirt flies from the stand with high sides into the room.
- Construction. Install a solid pallet in the Dzungarian hamster house. Rodents arrange a toilet in a corner of their home. If the stand is retractable, they will go to the toilet under it. Filler cannot be poured into the drawer, so the unpleasant smell will quickly spread throughout the apartment.
Dwarf Hamster Essentials
Instead of a cage with a pallet, you can choose a solid plastic one with transparent side walls. It is easy to wash, but it is difficult to place additional items in it for the life of the animal.
How to choose accommodation for a Syrian?
On sale you can find models of even more compact sizes, but they are only suitable for carrying animals. the Syrian will not be comfortable living in cramped conditions. To provide the pet with more space, bird cages are being altered. they are high, so they can be equipped with a second floor, which is what some rodent owners are doing. But this option has its drawbacks. The safety of the animal is questionable, because there is no guarantee that the additional floor is securely fixed.
The BEST hamster cages available!
What could be better for a Syrian than a large cage with wheels and labyrinths ?! The optimal and inexpensive option is rectangular cages for Syrian hamsters, 3727 cm in size, 36 cm in height.
Convenient if the second floor is in the middle and extends to the entire space. In the horizontal partition there is a hole for the stairs to go down the steps.
There are many two-story rodent dwellings on sale, where the second floors extend up to half, this is also convenient, but it should not be ruled out that the hamster may fall off during active games. There were cases when, during falls from the second floor, rodents injured their legs, but such situations are rare.
Choosing a cage for a Syrian hamster
The Syrian hamster will become the best friend for both adults and children. But the first in your house should appear a cage for a Syrian hamster and only after that a cute animal. You need to approach the purchase responsibly, because the animal will spend a lot of time in its house. When choosing a home, you need to take into account the habits, lifestyle and size of the pet.
The best option for a Syrian
A suitable cage size for a Syrian, regardless of the number of storeys. 5030 cm, at least 25 cm in height with the ability to equip it to your liking. Often they combine two or more dwellings, build labyrinths between them, connect with terrariums and aquariums.
The Syrian’s house should be spacious, there is a logical explanation for this. In the wild, hamsters have at their disposal huge territories of the steppes, their burrows are located at a decent distance from each other.
When buying, you need to pay attention to the following points:
- For the Syrian hamster, size and diameter are more important than number of storeys.
- European experts have set standards: the area of a cage for a Syrian hamster should be 1500 square meters. cm, that is, the bottom dimensions should not be less than 5030 cm.
- Cramped housing is hazardous to health. The animal may develop physical inactivity, obesity. The hamster in such conditions is unhappy and is unlikely to live up to one and a half years, although the normal life span is 2. 2.5 years.
- It’s good if the distance between floors is at least 30 cm.
- The door should be wide so that the owner’s hand can easily pass through it along with the pet.
- It is better to choose a dwelling with a solid pallet, the mesh can injure the animal.
Important: when choosing a house for hamsters of this breed, pay attention to the distance between the rods, which should be from 5 to 10 mm.
Cubs of Syrian hamsters at ten days of age are able to crawl through a slot 7-8 mm wide, so for reproduction you need to buy a dwelling with 5 mm rods.
You can read about filling the cage with the necessary accessories in the article on arranging the cage. And also you will find the necessary information about what else is needed to care for a hamster in the article on what you need to keep a hamster.
How to refine your hamster cage? Litter
The basis of the foundations of any living organism, in addition to food, is a comfortable “home”. Hamsters in this regard are no worse than other pets, for example, cats or dogs. In the previous article, it was told which cell is needed for this seemingly unpretentious creature. This speech is about bedding, not food, as you might think.
Newspapers and stiff paper are not recommended for bedding. This is due to the fact that the hamster can take them in his mouth (and will take). Just one glance at the newspaper is enough to understand: newspaper paint is unlikely to have a strengthening effect on the animal, and it is not intended to be taken by mouth. In addition, no one can guarantee that the newspaper was made according to environmental standards, designed for a hamster.
However, soft white wipes (no paint or fragrance) can be used as bedding, especially for hamsters with a wood dust allergy. Such napkins are also very good for nesting material. they are soft, harmless, and if you break them into small, small pieces (as a hamster most often does), then they are also very warm.
The classic litter is sawdust. They are much better than hay at absorbing moisture and odor. However, in packages with Russian-made sawdust, a variety of garbage and huge sharp chips are often found. this can injure not only the hamster, but also its owner. Therefore, sawdust should be carefully inspected before putting your hand into the bag or pouring them into the cage tray.
Wood filler takes an honorable second place in the ranking of fillers in terms of moisture and odor absorption. The hamster can live in wood litter and without a special toilet for up to two weeks, while the unpleasant odor will not come from the cage. Wood filler is also convenient because its granules are much heavier than sawdust and therefore do not scatter throughout the room when the hamster wants to dig a hole or just run around the filler.
The best and most expensive option is corn filler. It is small, it is convenient to dig it, it is convenient and comfortable to run on it, as a nesting material it is much better than even hay (especially hay from briquettes from Russian producers, more reminiscent of dried sticks than actually hay). It absorbs odor and moisture better than other fillers. If corn filler is poured into a hamster’s cage immediately before its first settling in it, often the owners do not even know for a long time where the toilet corner is located in the cage. it cannot be distinguished either by smell or appearance.
Fabric, cotton wool and, in general, fibrous materials should not be used as bedding. They are fraught with two dangers at once.
- First, small fibers are difficult for a hamster to pull out of the cheek pouches, they can start to rot, and this will lead to inflammation and, most likely, death of the hamster.
- Secondly, the threads can wrap around the hamster‘s leg and pull it over; so many animals lose their legs.
Feed can be used reasonably as bedding. That is, pour it not into bowls, but simply into the cage tray or other filler. Thus, the hamster will seek its own food. Both food and fun.
The litter changes depending on the circumstances of caring for the animal: water spilled by the hamster or the owner, other household disasters. But at least once a month or two.
Where to put?
If the house contains other pets, namely cats and dogs, then it is recommended to place the cage with the hamster so that predators cannot get to such a tasty prey.
And also when choosing a place for a dwelling, pay attention to such points as:
- no drafts. hamsters are prone to colds, so keep your pet away from drafts;
- lack of direct sunlight. overheating for a hamster is just as dangerous as hypothermia, so do not leave the animal in the sun or near a window; do not allow location near electrical and heating devices;
- lack of noise. do not place the cage near loudly operating equipment, for example, near a TV set or music speakers; the cage should be in a quiet, cozy place so that nothing will bother the pet.
Then you don’t have to clean up garbage around the cage every day, you just need to shake out the box and put it back under the cage.
Cages for Dzungarian hamsters: what they are and how to clean them?
The Dzungarian hamster is an interesting and funny animal that can often be found in apartments as a pet. It is believed that these animals do not live long, but their lifespan depends on the conditions of detention. The main factor for ensuring a full and comfortable life of a fluffy pet is the acquisition of a high-quality cage.
Usually, on the first floor, animals prefer to be engaged in vigorous activity, and on the second. to relax, although, of course, each pet has its own preferences.
- Made of metal rods. A good ventilated home in which the rodent feels quite comfortable. The inconvenience is that through the bars you can clearly hear the noise that the hamster makes, and dirt always forms around. Filler and debris can easily penetrate the rods. The grill itself should be made of high quality solid metal.
Do not take products made of copper or aluminum. the animal gnaws everything, so it will quickly render such rods unusable.
- Plastic or glass aquarium. In such a closed dwelling, the noise level is significantly reduced, and there is also almost no debris. In addition, it is the safest option for a home with cats. it is unlikely that a predator will get to a rodent that is kept in an aquarium under a breathable mesh. However, the hamster himself in such a dwelling will be uncomfortable, since it does not allow air to pass through well.
For the owner, the inconvenience is that the aquarium is difficult to clean.
- Lattice cage with plastic tray. This is the preferred option. Such a cage is easy to clean up. If the dwelling is two-level, and the “floor” of the second floor is made in the form of a lattice, then check if the pet is injured by getting stuck with its legs or abdomen between the rods. If the risk of injury is high, then cover the second level with cardboard.
It is recommended to buy cages in which the second floor is made of plastic and high-quality reinforced. Try to avoid wooden elements in the cage, as wood absorbs unpleasant odors and also becomes a favorite material for grinding rodent incisors.
How to equip?
To provide a furry pet with a full life, it is not enough for him to offer in an empty cage. It must have a house in which the hamster will rest and hide its supplies. Place the house somewhere in the corner. Mandatory attributes are a drinking bowl and a feeder. They usually come with the cage, but are sold separately.
Every day the hamster must run several kilometers. The treadmill will help ensure this activity. Try to set it not very low. If the cage contains more than one individual, then one pet can injure its neighbor, who climbed under the low-located wheel.
For dental health, place a chalk or mineral stone in your home. In its absence, the hamster will begin to gnaw on the rods in order to grind off its fast-growing teeth. By the way, if even in the presence of a stone, the animal does not stop gnawing on the cage, then, most likely, he is simply bored, in this case, equip his dwelling with tunnels, pipes, podiums.
These items attract not only hamsters, but also their owners. It is very interesting to watch how the pet studies the objects of its interior, runs through the pipes, drags various things that are interesting to it. It is recommended to buy a spacious cage to accommodate all these important items.
The main criteria for choosing a cage are its comfort and safety for a pet. In addition, the future home of a furry friend should be convenient for its owner. The owner needs to choose in advance the place where the new dwelling will be located, as well as select the product for a certain size, not less than the minimum recommended for the dzhungarik.
The materials from which the cage is made must not only be durable and strong, but also safe. Rodents taste everything they see, so the bars of the lattice they have tested should not be harmful to the animal’s health.
Choose a cage that is easier to clean. It is more convenient to buy a product with a pallet. Be sure to check if the door closes well.
Lets Talk About Hamster Cages
Dzungariki are very curious creatures, prone to escapes, and a weak locking device may not withstand his sharp teeth. Try to buy a home with built-in attributes in advance. This will be a more economical option, besides, in the future you will not have to think about where and how best to install all additional devices.
Designs and dimensions
The length of the cage for one dzhungarik should be at least 50 cm. This is even more than for the Syrian hamster. And although the Syrian is larger in size than the Dzungarik, a miniature pet must run a greater distance per day, so he needs a more spacious cage. If the cage is purchased without additional equipment, then do not forget that the area will be reduced due to the established mandatory attributes.
Another important point when choosing a cage is the gap between the rods. It should be no more than 10 mm.
Give preference to a cage with horizontal rods. rodents like this shape more, besides, it is much easier to attach additional devices to the horizontal lattice for a comfortable rodent life.
If the distance between the rods is greater, then the hamster will definitely try to escape. And even if the cell contains a fairly well-fed individual, this factor does not deprive it of its plasticity.
If a very spacious cage is purchased, then do not forget that the hamster is cleaned quite often, and the large dimensions of the cage will significantly complicate this process.
However, if the owner maintains several hamsters at once and plans to breed them, then it is better to opt for a large cage. Separately, it should be said about the bottom of the dwelling. It can be retractable or high. The retractable bottom is much more convenient in terms of cleaning, but the cage with a high bottom is suitable for breeders, since the high sides will prevent curious little hamsters from falling out of the cage.