Equipment for a round aquarium
The first thing that is necessary for the normal functioning of a round aquarium is a light. It is clear that luminaires on fluorescent tubes developed for the “classics” will not suit us. But today they are already “the last century”! With the advent of the era of LED lighting (light-emitting diodes), the luminaire can be of absolutely any shape. For a spherical aquarium, one where the LEDs are located in a circle or in a ring is suitable. They are available in three types:
If you are going to settle shrimps and fish with a penchant for jumping exercises in a spherical reservoir (shrimps of the genera Caridina and Palemonetes (= Pal aemonetes) are famous for this, and from fish. cardinals, zebrafish, macropods), then only the first type of lamp is suitable for you. If you plan to settle in a glass ball inhabitants who are not prone to “suicide” (for example, a Siamese cockerel or cherry shrimp and their other genus Neocaridina), or even intend to restrict yourself to a plant composition with snails, then the choice of a lamp depends only on your aesthetic preferences. Of course, if there are mustachioed four-legged “spectators” in the house, then the choice is unambiguous. only a completely closed lid! I would only like to remind you that a round aquarium, like any other, requires strict restrictions on daylight hours (no more than 10-12 hours, or better. from 8 to 10), otherwise you will have to constantly fight with algae, which in conditions of curved walls does not so simple.
Considering that the volume of sand or pebbles that can be placed in a round aquarium is small, and the soil / water ratio in it is much worse than in a classic parallelepiped, the soil in it does not play well the role of a natural biofilter: it is difficult for beneficial bacteria to grow in it, and their number is not enough. This is why filtration for a round aquarium is essential. But it is absolutely impossible to place a filter designed for a rectangular aquarium (even the smallest one) in a spherical container! That is, you can put something, but it will look rough and ugly, and everything as a whole will no longer look like an aquarium, but an incomprehensible technical design. see the picture)
You can, of course, pick up a very miniature version, for example, this one. but such a design will only create the required flow of water, but it is unlikely to filter anything. What to do? to remember the system of bottom filters, as old as the world, the so-called “false bottom”. Old aquarists remember this design. gratings were laid under the ground, through which water was pumped with the help of an airlift, filtering through the ground and an additionally laid padding polyester. For a round aquarium, this design is still one of the most reasonable. In addition, the glass airlift tube, through which air bubbles cheerfully run, does not spoil the design, can be easily decorated, and even if it is properly included in the composition, it can itself be a design element (Figures 2-5). There are also pump designs of internal filters for round aquariums, combining a false bottom grate and a cassette with a filter sponge, for example, this one. Figure 6, but its aesthetics in an aquarium seems to me controversial.
The most reasonable are the designs of filters of the “backpack” type. for an open aquarium with a lamp of the second or third type (Fig. 7) and external type pump mini-filters built into the lid with a lamp, from which only the suction tube and exhaust “flute are immersed in the aquarium. “. (fig. 8). A variant of this design, when the pump is in the lid, is the built-in internal filter with an open sponge.
But as the most successful design that combines both a lamp and a “backpack” type filter, and at the same time does not interfere with the creation of almost any design composition in the bank, I would like to recommend ready-made sets of this kind. see. Figures 9 to 12. In this case, as in all the previous ones, I suggest you look only at the design of the aquarium, but not at its contents and design, because everything inside is just wrong! But more on that below. Pay attention to the successful combination of a backpack filter and a folding (in Figure 10 it is folded back) LED-lamp with a ring-shaped arrangement of LEDs. Nothing interferes with anything, it is convenient to look at the aquarium and it is convenient to maintain it. And most importantly, there are no bulky pieces of equipment inside that disfigure the composition.
By the way, the Christmas gift with a Siamese cock, which Aqua Logo offers you and your loved ones, was created on the basis of just this type of complex solutions.
Whom to put in a round aquarium?
A glass ball is not the most comfortable place for a fish. Therefore, the most correct solution would be to keep small invertebrates in a round aquarium. snails, cherry shrimps (and their closest relatives with a different color). If you still definitely want fish, then in a glass sphere you can keep one Siamese cockerel (Betta splendens), or 3-5 cardinals (Tanichthys albonubes), or 5-7 micro-assemblies (Boraras maculatus), or a family of 3-4 males and 1-2 females of ordinary (not purebred) guppies (Poecilia reticulata) or the same number of Endler’s guppies (Poecilia wingei). With some stretch and with a sad sigh, you can also recommend for a round aquarium a flock (5-6 pieces) of zebrafish, or a pair of lalius, or three or four small platies. This modest list of options for residents of a round aquarium is practically exhausted: the rest of the fish in such a reservoir will not last long.
Surprisingly, in almost all art paintings and advertising photographs, goldfish are swimming in a round aquarium. Dear people, I conjure you: under no circumstances do this! A round aquarium is absolutely, absolutely, in no way, never, under any circumstances, suitable for goldfish! Even small ones. Even “just one”. Generally! The fate of a goldfish in a glass ball will be quick and sad. This miracle of ancient Chinese genetics, whose ancestor was the common goldfish, requires a large amount of clean, cool, oxygenated water, and in a round aquarium, a goldfish will live about the same as you would if you were assigned a small wardrobe. That is, badly and not for long.
Advantages and disadvantages
Before opting for a round aquarium for the interior of the room, it is recommended to get acquainted with its pros and cons.
- Round tanks are cheaper in price than similar rectangular tanks of the same size.
- The design of spherical home ponds is presented in a large assortment.
- Thanks to their rounded shape, they are compact and take up less space.
- Easier to move from place to place with an easy grip.
- The rounded shape is easier to clean from fish waste.
- In the interior of the room, in the office they look stylish and elegant.
- In a non-standard model of a home reservoir, you can arrange an original water landscape.
- Round aquariums are very cramped for many types of fish.
- It is impossible to place a complete filtering system. This limits the number of fish species allowed for keeping.
- The flask narrows upward, air exchange is impaired, you will have to change the water more often.
- It is absolutely impossible to keep marine fish species in them, because it is almost impossible to maintain the required indicators of salt water.
- The spherical shape of the walls distorts perception, which negatively affects the fish.
- Plants are much more difficult to place.
However, these shortcomings do not frighten aquarists. They manage to successfully keep aquarium fish in round forms for many years.
Plants are planted in such a way that the fish have room for active movement. Due to the limited volume of soil, plants without a developed root system or without it are considered suitable:
Most types of aquatic vegetation are not only decorative, but also actively purify water from harmful nitrates. However, not all plants will play a positive role in creating the biobalance of a spherical reservoir:
- Pistia covers an already small surface of water, so it is not advisable to use it in the design of a small round aquarium.
- If it is decided to start a nayas, it will have to be thinned out regularly. This plant is able to turn an aquarium into a florarium in a short time.
It is better not to use artificial plants. They take up space, but do not perform a useful role.
On a note! Many living plants do not inhabit such a reservoir, because they generate oxygen only during the day, and at night they consume it.
In round aquariums, you will need to install the following equipment:
- Compressor. They saturate the water with oxygen. Power depends on the parameters of the tank.
- Heater. It will be needed if the reservoir is in a cold room and thermophilic fish species live in it.
- Backlit lid. Solves the issue of illumination and fish safety. If it is absent, many novice aquarists will place the container closer to the window. It should be noted that direct sunlight is very harmful, as it provokes the rapid development of algae.
- Bottom filter. Such a reservoir is simply necessary. The appearance resembles a pancake. Equipped with a pump on a leg, which is hidden behind the aquarium decor. Power is selected based on the capacity of the container. The larger the volume, the more carefully the filter is selected. It is better to take with a small margin of power so that the equipment works longer.
On a note! When using a bottom filter, sand cannot be used as soil, as it will quickly clog the filtering equipment.
The most common are still more voluminous spherical banks. In a container of 10 liters, you can already try to place 2-3 medium-sized fish with relative comfort. If the area of the room allows, then you can fit into the interior and a spherical aquarium of 20 liters. It should be noted that a large round reservoir with a volume of more than 30 liters will require significantly more space than a rectangular aquarium of the same volume. Spheres of this and larger volume are very rarely on sale.
Cylindrical round aquariums of large volumes are also rare. Round aquariums are often sold without a lid. Choosing it, you must not be mistaken with the size. The inside diameter of the lid must match the top outside diameter of the can.
Advantages and disadvantages
What is so attractive about a round aquarium? Here are some reasons for it.
- A pond of this shape, if properly designed and well-groomed, looks appropriate in almost any interior.
- All-glass or acrylic construction is completely leak-free, which allows the aquarium to be installed on any surface.
- The inner space of the reservoir is maximally accessible for observation.
As you can see, all the arguments in favor of an artificial reservoir of this form come from the needs and desires of an apartment dweller or an office owner. There are much more statements by opponents of a round aquarium.
- The volume of standard round aquariums is usually small to form a stable biological system. The aquarium is easily permeable to natural light, therefore, there is an intense overgrowth of algae on the glass, which requires frequent cleaning. Such a body of water requires frequent intensive and careful care, and this is the cause of serious stress for most fish.
- The convex glass surface completely distorts reality, as a result of which the inhabitants of the aquarium are constantly stressed, even with little movement.
- The small volume of the aquarium is suitable for a comfortable habitat of only a small number of fish, which is completely unacceptable for schooling species.
- The shape of the reservoir leaves little water surface area, which makes gas exchange with the atmosphere difficult, and some inhabitants may experience a lack of oxygen.
- Likewise, the surface of the soil at the bottom of the aquarium is small. This does not allow the amount of plants to be diluted in a reservoir sufficient for self-regulation of many processes.
- Special equipment is required to set up a round aquarium. Standard aeration and filtration systems are not suitable due to the fact that they will take up a significant volume of an already small reservoir, and they are also difficult to hide and give the aquarium an aesthetic appearance. It is more difficult to acquire suitable equipment, it costs more than usual.
- In a round aquarium, it is almost impossible to create shelters for fish, from the absence of which many of them experience stress, which affects life expectancy.
As you can see, the arguments against a round aquarium are related to the creation of acceptable conditions for its inhabitants. It follows that such an aquarium is completely unsuitable for a beginner. It is better for a novice aquarist to master a rectangular reservoir with a volume of at least 40 liters. This will avoid many disappointments and even small tragedies. It is better to make a round aquarium just decorative, without any claims to imitate the natural habitat. The main attention should be focused on the aesthetics and harmony of the aquarium as an element of the interior.
The transparent top looks unusual from it, but you need to think over the location of coolers and lamps from an aesthetic point of view. Plexiglas is bent with a blowtorch or an industrial hair dryer. The glue is prepared from trichloroethane, to which plexiglass sawdust is added, and let it brew for 12-20 hours.
Pros are the original look and durability. And the downside was that installation requires skill.
How to attach a lamp?
When working on the cover, it is better to install the ballast and lamp mounts immediately after assembling the structure, then it will be inconvenient to do it. We glue all fasteners to the ceiling. After finishing from the inside with foil, we take a wire with a cross section of 0.75 mm. We connect each lamp with its own ballast.
We install the LEDs in the mountings. If there are none, we take a soldering iron, connect the LEDs according to the scheme, and after soldering we fix it with tape or with hot glue. This line must be run through the power supply, since it is designed for 12 V.
After installing the lighting and connecting to the control unit or switch, we make a cord to the outlet, more precisely, we put the plug. Take the wire with a margin, in no case should it be pulled.
Cover with pads
The method is convenient for wood materials and plexiglass, but it is also suitable for plastic. Such a cover can be glass, but the strip will have to be recruited from narrow rectangles. You can make them from colored glass.
- We cut out the main parts: a rectangular top, sidewalls and two platforms.
- We fasten the sidewalls together. Corners, support sides, stiffening ribs are attached immediately, the same applies to ballast. Once again: first we degrease, then we glue.
- We attach platforms to the frame.
- We glue or screw on the front strip. We use heating or incisions if necessary.
- Drill holes in the box for tubes and wires.
- On the upper part, we mark the mounts of the lamps and units. We make the necessary holes, a hatch for filling the food.
- Installing lamp mounts.
- Putting the top and bottom together. If the cover is planned to be hinged, we install the hinges. We treat the seams with a sealant.
- We paint or paste over.
- Cover the inner surface with a mirror layer.
- We connect electrical equipment.
In the video there is a tutorial for creating a cover for a panoramic aquarium with a “bent” frame with a folding top. Filmed by Sense-life. com
Due to the fact that there are three standard widths: 100 mm, 250 mm and 370 mm, structures can be assembled from them for any aquarium.
- variety of colors.
- low strength. reinforcements must be both vertical and horizontal;
- the panel is easy to pierce, no heavy or sharp objects should be dropped onto the panel cover.
Below are the materials from which you can make a do-it-yourself aquarium cover.
Sealed with aquarium sealant. It is rarely used because of the minuses, the pluses are that it does not need to be painted and, unlike plexiglass, will not fade over time.
- the weight;
- complexity in processing.
- pencil or marker;
- screwdriver or drill.
Additional equipment for working with plastic:
- stationery knife;
- hacksaw blade;
For wood, laminate and similar materials:
- jigsaw (both a simple jigsaw and a grinder are suitable);
- sealant gun.
HOW TO: NO FILTER BOWL AQUARIUM SETUP || MD FISH TANKS
- glass cutter;
- solder, if the holes are not drilled, but melted;
- perfectly flat cutting surface to match the dimensions of the glass.
To work with plexiglass, you need a jigsaw or cutter.
Living plants are “lungs”, they release oxygen through the process of photosynthesis. Many fish feed on plant foods. And during spawning, algae become a temporary home for eggs. Artificial vegetation of juicy flowers looks beautiful.
Most expensive option
The saltwater aquarium is designed for keeping saltwater fish. The marine theme always looks advantageous. However, the reservoir itself and its arrangement are expensive.
It is believed that the mood in the aquarium sets the ground. It is multifunctional: it is used as a substrate for algae, a natural biofilter. The soil is required for the life of fish. When choosing it, one should take into account the fraction, volume and color.
Give preference to a darker tone, then the aquarium fish will not merge with the ground.
The special prefix “pseudo” makes it clear that the entourage is created in order to imitate a marine aquarium, where brightly colored fish are inhabited. Corals, large shells and polyps are placed in the aquarium.
Look at the photo of the beautiful design of the aquarium, you will need to additionally purchase lighting and a special device for enriching the water with oxygen. In order for the inhabitants of the deep sea to feel as if they are in their familiar environment, aquarium plants are needed.
Pour soil with small stones at the bottom, put driftwood with shells, set locks with ships, create grottoes and make a background.
If you are just going to do aquarium hobby, then take your time to shop. First, decide what kind of fish you need. Also, focus on your own taste preferences when choosing a container for keeping fish.
How To Make A No Filter 3 Gallon Fish Bowl Aquarium (No Filter No Ferts No Co2 No Heater Aquascape)
Each inhabitant of the “aquarium house” requires special conditions of detention. A 100 liter aquarium, if desired, can be turned into the Kingdom of Neptune.
Learn the habits of the fish you like, especially if you want to take on more than one species. Predatory fish should not be placed in the same vessel with herbivorous fish. Consult the seller, he will tell you which species coexist peacefully.
For fish, the background does not play any role, this element is of great importance to the owner. You can make any aquarium background yourself and attach it. The easiest way is to paint the back wall of the container from the outside.
Underwater stones with grottoes
When designing an aquarium with your own hands, remember that you can only use safe materials that do not emit toxins. If you plan on choosing stones with driftwood on your own, make sure that they do not release toxic toxins.
It is not recommended to put a lot of decorative elements. Huge castles and driftwood take up living space from the main aquarium inhabitants.