Homemade cat food should include some vegetables. Fiber contributes to the proper functioning of the digestive organs, the elimination of toxins and the maintenance of the intestines and stomach in good shape. In addition, vegetables contain vitamins necessary for a pet’s health. However, an excess of vegetables in the diet leads to diseases of the digestive tract: gastritis, colitis, stomach and intestinal ulcers. Vegetables should be added to food 3-4 times a week, raw or stewed: carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, cauliflower. You cannot offer your cat tomatoes, onions and garlic, eggplants (toxic to cats!), Cabbage and broccoli, potatoes. If your cat is greedy for plant foods, try replacing vegetables with herbs (sprouted grains, cat grass). Occasionally, young dandelion leaves, mint leaves, chamomile flowers can be added to the salad (only freshly picked in the countryside, you cannot feed the cat with herbs growing in the city in any case).
Drink, children, milk. you will be healthy
Homemade food for cats necessarily includes dairy products: kefir, cottage cheese, yogurt or fermented baked milk 1-2 times a week (you can add a boiled egg and a few drops of vegetable oil to the curd). But milk is absorbed only by kittens. adult cats drink it out of habit, without getting any benefit. If the cat digests lactose normally, you can treat the cat with cow’s milk at room temperature 1-3 times a week, in small portions. It is hardly worth offering to the mustachioed gourmand, they contain sweeteners, flavors and dyes (even in “natural” colorless ones). Cream and sour cream, even fat-free ones, cause enormous harm to the liver. these products must be completely excluded from the diet.
I love pasta
Some cats adore pasta and flour products, enjoy rolls, pies, spaghetti with pleasure. However, such food can lead to serious health problems, from commonplace colitis and constipation to obesity, heart failure and other “delights”. Also, cats should not be given peas and beans (any legumes). But then what can you feed your cat to meet its carbohydrate needs? Of course, cereals with the addition of meat and vegetable oils. Cereals that are safe for cats are rice and buckwheat, not steamed (instant cereals have a glycemic index almost twice as high). Cats are not allowed semolina, rolled oats, millet, corn porridge. useless “ballast” and an unnecessary burden on the digestive system.
Any bones, heads, paws, tails are useless and dangerous food for a cat. Eating such foods can lead to intestinal obstruction and injury to the digestive tract. If the cat loves to “crunch”, offer her special treats. dried entrails, “bones” from veins.
Cabbage soup and porridge. our food
Many owners use the leftovers of their meals as food for cats. this should never be done. Our food is salty, spiced, and overcooked. Cats are prohibited from fried, smoked, sausages and any canned vegetables or fruits. such food is harmful even to humans, and the body of domestic mules is much more sensitive. Mushrooms are absolutely unnatural food for cats, there are no enzymes in her body to break down mushrooms into components (a cat cannot digest them). In addition, even edible mushrooms can be seriously poisoned by a cat. It is extremely dangerous to offer alcohol and coffee to your cat! There are cases of death of cats that ate a small piece of bacon, pickled tomato, fried cutlet. Don’t risk your pet’s health!
Meat and offal
The most important thing to remember is that you cannot feed your cat raw meat unless the owner is a farmer. The meat sold in the Russian markets is loaded with antibiotics, hormones, and in 70% of cases it is infected with helminths. In addition, the causative agents of deadly diseases that can be found in meat remain active for weeks, even after freezing. Healthy food for cats is chicken, beef and veal. Sometimes. rabbit meat, game. Never. any fatty cuts, pork (even “lean”). Liver is a favorite product of many cats, but do not give in to “persuasion”. Boiled liver can cause difficulty in defecation, raw, on the contrary, diarrhea. But the heart, kidneys, lungs, stomach must be included in the cat’s diet. But only non-greasy.
Method of cooking meat and offal: first we cut the meat into pieces (such that it is convenient for the cat to chew them, but not swallow them whole), and then put them in boiling water for 5-7 minutes. Long-term cooking reduces the value of the product.
Harmful food for cats
The cat is a predator, its natural diet is rather scarce by human standards. Common food for cats is mice, birds and insects. What I caught, I ate it. It is strange to imagine a mustachioed predator arguing: “Yesterday a sparrow, today I will look for a mouse, and tomorrow there will be a pigeon for dinner.” The cat does not need culinary delights. To maintain health, she needs a balanced diet, a sufficient amount of proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals. This is what a responsible owner should remember first and foremost. Gastronomic experimentation is not for the cat.
Fish is natural food for cats?
To please the pet, the owner is ready to feed her even with what the cat cannot feed in principle: “Let him eat. She loves fish! My cat is smart, will not eat what is harmful. ” The “fashion” for feeding cats with fish has arisen for a simple reason. in most countries, fish is cheaper than meat. In nature, felines do not eat fish and seafood at all. The fish contains too many minerals and protein for the cat to be able to constantly eat it without harm to health. An overabundance of fish in the diet leads to the occurrence of urolithiasis and vitamin K deficiency.
You can feed your cat with fish, but not more often than 1-2 times a week. The fish should be seafood, without bones and entrails, and always boiled (5 minutes in boiling water). It is not recommended to feed the cat with fish that lives in fresh water. the risk of infection with helminths is too high.
What should not be given to the cat?
As you can see, for cats, you can create very simple and useful menus with a lot of inexpensive and useful components. However, before you form the diet of such a pet, you should familiarize yourself with the list of foods that it is better not to eat.
Never give your mustache pet grapes or raisins.
These products are useful and tasty only for humans, but they can cause considerable harm to cats. The fact is that in these pets, raisins can cause almost instant heart failure. Be sure to consider this feature.
Of course, no one is immune from the theft of such harmful products by a cat. If you notice such a “crime” behind your pet, then it must be taken to the veterinarian, especially if the cat began to behave strangely. Symptoms of heart failure in cats are usually noticeable immediately. These include:
- loss of appetite;
- general weakness;
- poor urination.
Onions are another very dangerous food that can harm your cat. In general, onions are a slow poison that can destroy blood cells in your pet’s body. Eating such a product may cause a cat to suffer from anemia. In this case, it is necessary to take into account the onions that are added to the minced meat and semi-finished products. Even in baby food, this component can take place. Before treating your pet to any of the listed delicacies, it is extremely important to first familiarize yourself with the composition of the product.
Garlic is even more dangerous than onions. It contains all the same harmful substances, but in even larger volumes. Fortunately, garlic is included in a very limited number of products, but you should not think about it at all. Be carefull.
Alcohol and tobacco smoke are also bad for cats. Often, the owners watch the pet’s reaction with a smile when he drinks a little beer or a stronger alcoholic beverage. In fact, the animal will not get anything good from such drinks. Alcohol and tobacco are harmful to humans, and if we take into account the size of cats, then we can come to the conclusion that they can get more serious damage to their health.
Do not give your cat chicken, pork, or fish bones. Such products can lead to very serious internal injuries, which can lead to not only suffering, but also death of the pet.
Cats should not be given white cabbage or fatty, salted, smoked, or pickled meat. Legumes and pasta can lead to fermentation, flatulence and gastritis. You should not treat your cat to pastries. Sweet fruits and steamed grains can be bad for your pet’s teeth.
Do not give your cat fatty or river fish.
If the animal eats such foods, then there is a high risk of contracting steatitis or becoming infected with dangerous parasites.
It is not recommended to give cats such a treat as ice cream. Of course, if the animal licked such a product once, nothing will happen to it, but it should never be used as a permanent treat. This also applies to those ice cream options that do not use regular sugar.
It is believed that most cats are avid lovers of fresh milk and cream. In fact, small kittens like these products more than advanced cats. Often, adult baleen pets are lactose intolerant. In this case, milk or cream should not be given under any circumstances, otherwise the animal will suffer from dehydration.
If a cat is naturally healthy and has good immunity, then all the flaws in her diet will make themselves felt when she reaches old age. Usually at 7-9 years old, this animal can eat almost anything, but after this age mark, various serious ailments can make themselves felt, for example, urolithiasis, kidney failure, gastritis, liver problems and even diabetes. A cat that eats properly will remain active for up to 10 years or more.
Features of canned food
Many cats are very fond of canned food. Such food can be not only tasty for such pets, but also quite useful. Often, these components become part of a mixed diet in cats, which includes useful vitamins. There are even quality foods with antioxidants.
- mousses for cats;
- minced meat;
- lumpy meat;
- frozen food.
Canned food is also beneficial and convenient because it does not rot or mold. But if you choose such food for your pet, then it is very important to make sure that the packaging is not wrinkled or damaged in any other way. Depressurization of the product must not be allowed. If you notice traces of rust on the can or it is swollen, then you should not take it.
Veterinarians advise to buy canned food for cats exclusively at trusted retail outlets, in the correct storage of which you are sure. It is important to pay attention to the shelf life of the selected delicacy.
When choosing canned food for cats, you need to pay attention to their age. For kittens, food should be taken in small granules. The old cat should eat low-calorie canned food. You can also pick up special veterinary feeds that are indicated for cats with certain diseases.
Feeding with natural products
As mentioned above, the diet for cats must be selected in advance. You can feed your pet with natural or dry food. Many owners give preference to products of natural origin. The basis of such a pet’s diet is usually meat. Veterinarians recommend giving cats the following meat products:
- veal and beef;
- turkey and chicken;
- rabbit meat;
- low fat saltwater fish;
- baby meat puree with vegetables.
Chicken heads are a favorite dish of many cats. At first glance, there is nothing useful and necessary for animals in such products, but they contain a large percentage of proteins, collagen, vitamins and calcium. Such a diet suits many owners, since chicken heads are a cheap offal, which is useful even for pregnant individuals.
However, it must be borne in mind that the bones found in such products can harm the animal. this is the main disadvantage.
It is recommended to serve chicken heads to cats as follows:
- it is better to take the heads of broiler chickens, and not adult birds, since the thin bones of young individuals are much easier to chew and digest;
- heads should be slightly frozen for several days;
- boiling chicken heads is not recommended;
- in one meal, the cat should not be given more than 1-2 chicken heads;
- you cannot give such a product more than 2 times a week;
- be sure to remove the beak;
- if you feed the kitten, then it is advisable for him to cut the chicken heads into two halves.
Many people wonder if cats can be fed vegetables.
Of course, it is possible and even necessary, since they are very useful, but, unfortunately, not every cat agrees to eat such food. Vegetables must be properly introduced into the pet’s diet. This should be done in such a way that he does not even realize that his food contains such components that are not interesting to him. The most beneficial vegetables for cats are:
- carrots and beets;
- lettuce and cauliflower;
- pumpkin and zucchini.
Your cat should not eat foods such as eggplant and tomatoes. This is due to the fact that in the composition of these vegetables there are certain substances that can negatively affect the health of the pet. If the animal does not refuse simple vegetables, then he is allowed to serve them raw or add very little vegetable oil.
If the cat categorically refuses to eat vegetables, then she can be outwitted by adding them to meat products. In this case, the animal will not understand that it is not eating what it wants, and will receive the useful vitamins available in the vegetables.
Often, people are faced with the fact that their cats are actively eating raw potatoes, stealing them from the table, if you leave everything unattended. It is important to keep in mind that untreated tubers can be harmful to your cat because they contain solanine. This chemical compound is a serious toxin that is harmful to both humans and animals. The rind of the tuber contains more solanine. Veterinarians say that cats should never be fed raw potatoes. Better to give them boiled potatoes or mashed potatoes.
It is also better not to give fried potatoes to a cat because of the inappropriate percentage of fats and carbohydrates contained in it. Such products can harm the animal, especially if the pet is still very young.
It is impossible not to mention the fermented milk products that most cats and cats love. The following positions are especially useful for the stomach of these pets:
- fermented baked milk and kefir;
- low fat cottage cheese;
- hard cheese (this product must be “pure”, that is, without any additives and spices);
- oatmeal or semolina porridge with milk.
Most of the listed products are eaten by cats with pleasure, but not all individuals like cottage cheese. If your pet refuses such food, then you can also outwit him. mix cottage cheese with kefir or fermented baked milk, add a little egg yolk.
If you are going to feed your pet with high-quality cheese without additives, then you should keep in mind that it is permissible to give it no more than 1 time per week.
To ensure the smooth functioning of the cat’s body, it also needs to be given other healthy natural products. These include:
- egg yolk;
- porridge. rice, wheat, mixed with boiled or frozen meat / fish;
- greens. dill, oat sprouts, parsley;
- vegetable oil in moderation;
- vitamins and minerals;
- purified or boiled water.
If you are serving an egg yolk to your pet, then you definitely need to consider that it must be boiled. This product can be served both separately and as an additive to porridge or cottage cheese. It is allowed to feed the cat with egg yolk no more than twice a week.
It is not recommended to give cats grass collected from the street. Such greens can contain dangerous poisons that can cause very serious harm to the animal’s body.
Vegetable oil can be added to food for pets. However, you cannot add a lot of this component. no more than two teaspoons a day.
Cats can also be given a loaf. This is a healthy food packed with carbohydrates. It is advisable to feed your pet with a wheat or rye loaf. Such products will not contribute to the accumulation of fat, but they will saturate the animal’s body with useful substances. But we must take into account that too often cats cannot be fed with a loaf. It is best to treat pets with a stale product, because a fresh loaf, according to veterinarians, can settle on the walls of the stomach, manifesting itself with bloating and an increase in acidity.
Cats are popular and widespread pets that many people love. As a rule, these pets are unpretentious and undemanding in matters of nutrition, but this does not mean that they can consume everything as food. Cats need to be fed properly, following a specific regimen. Let’s look at a few basic rules for feeding these cute animals.
- Try not to mess with your pet’s bowl. Some people try to make a real porridge for the cat from individual ingredients. This is a useless activity. the cat will still choose from the general mass exactly what she needs most. All other ingredients, even if they are tiny, will remain in the cup and may go bad soon.
- Consider the fact that cats are very demanding on the temperature of the food they eat. In this situation, instincts come first. In their natural habitat, wild cats begin to consume food immediately after a successfully completed hunt, while the meat has not yet cooled down. In addition, through certain experiments, it has been proven that cold food is much less absorbed by the feline body.
But the food, of course, should not be too hot either, otherwise the pet may burn itself.
- Experiments are permissible in feeding cats. Organoleptic properties are very important for these pets. But it must be borne in mind that in this matter, each individual individual has its own specific preferences. For example, one cat will like the new food bought by the owner, while the other will be more conservative and will prefer the usual diet to new introductions.
- Cat food should contain proteins and vitamins. With such nutrition, the animal will be healthy and energetic, the coat will be in perfect condition.
- Don’t feed your cats only meat or only fish. Many owners, unfortunately, believe that only such products can be given to animals. This opinion is wrong. Meals must be varied enough. So, wild individuals eat the meat of birds and small rodents, eating prey along with all the contents in its stomach. herbs and seeds.
- It is necessary to initially decide on what kind of food you are going to give the cat. It is allowed to give either only dry or only natural feed. This important rule should not be neglected, otherwise chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract can be provoked. It is important to keep in mind that dry food and natural products cannot be digested at the same time. That is why it is necessary to make a choice in advance in favor of a certain type of animal nutrition.
- If you decide to feed your pet with dry food, then you should purchase only high-quality premium or super-premium products. In addition to the highest quality and richness, such feeds are characterized by the presence of preventive diets. With such a diet, the animal will always be healthy and active.
- The food of the cat must be selected in accordance with its physiological state. During pregnancy and lactation, the diet should be as balanced as possible in calcium and protein. It is very important to pay due attention to the taurine content. Sterilized and neutered animals should be fed in such a way as to consume fewer calories so that the pet does not gain weight and does not become obese.
7 Human Foods Cats Can Eat
What exactly should be fed to a cat with a particular disease, you need to ask your veterinarian.
- Adult cats need to be fed in the same place in the house. The animal must have its own separate bowl with compartments for food and water. Food and ready-made canned food should not be given cold.
All of these rules are very important. They must be followed if you care about your cat’s health.
How and what to feed your cat?
A cat, like any other pet, needs proper and balanced nutrition. The state of health and mood of the animal depends on this. Every owner who has a cat should know how to feed it properly. Only if this condition is met can we talk about good health and energy of the pet. Today we will analyze in detail all the existing rules for feeding this cute animal.
Selection of dry food
Many owners prefer to feed their pets not natural, but ready-made dry food. Experts say that such products make it possible to maintain the required balance of energy and mineral substances needed by the body. Often people choose just such feeds, since they are beneficial and significantly simplify the very process of feeding animals, because there is no need to prepare different dishes in advance. they are already ready. In addition, dry food does not deteriorate, so you do not have to constantly monitor that such food does not start to emit an unpleasant smell.
There are also feeds that belong to the mass market class, which are cheaper and are very common, but experts do not advise giving such food to pets.
If you are feeding your cat dry food, then you definitely need to make sure that there is always clean water in the bowl next to the food. It is necessary to follow this rule, since in most modern dry food there is no more than 12% moisture. If the indicators were different, then such food would not have been stored for so long. dangerous mold would soon appear on it.
Many people keep cats at home. These pets are insanely popular and look very cute. Like any other animal, they need proper care. It is necessary to feed the cat according to all the rules so that it is vigorous and healthy. You should rely not only on the features and nuances listed above, but also take into account the advice and recommendations of experienced veterinarians.
- It is very important to consider the fact that after spaying the cat’s lifestyle changes significantly. After such procedures, all the attention of pets is turned towards food. Often, some time after the operation, a problem arises in the form of obesity of the animal. This is why it is so important to have a gentle diet for your cat. She should not consume too much food per day, especially fatty ones.
- Mostly the owners give the cats different goodies, not sparing them at all. At the same time, many people simply do not realize that because of this, the metabolic processes in the body in pets noticeably slow down. As a result, the weight of the animal increases, and all sorts of health problems arise.
- Try not to overfeed your pet, even if you really like chubby cats. Play more and longer with your pet. As a rule, the pet begins to actively beg for treats from other people.
11 Human Foods Your Cat Can Eat
That is why it is so important to warn guests not to give anything to the cat.
- If the pet is steadily recovering, even if you are doing everything right, it is recommended that he arrange fasting days once a week. In addition, it is advisable to divide the daily diet into several parts (4-5 parts is enough) and serve them to the cat during the day. Due to such actions, the fluffy will beg for treats less.
- It must be remembered that clean and fresh water should always be present in the pet’s bowl. It is especially important to take this nuance into account if the animal has recently undergone surgery or eats mainly dry food. Under these circumstances, cats drink a lot more and need liquids especially.
- Don’t overfeed your cat with fish. Such treats are especially loved by these pets, however, overeating them can eventually lead to the development of serious urolithiasis.
- If a pet is sick, then its nutrition must be treated especially thoughtfully and carefully. Do not be unauthorized. be sure to consult with a veterinarian, how you can feed a fluffy, and what is better to refuse.
- Cats don’t taste sweet, but that doesn’t stop them from eating all kinds of sweets. Do not give these pets such foods unless you want to seriously harm them.
- Always make sure that no spoiled or foul-smelling food is in the pet’s bowl (if you feed your cat with natural food). Such food will definitely not benefit the animal, so you should immediately remove everything that has deteriorated in the dishes. In addition, the bowl itself must be kept clean.
- Not all cats love cereal. You can mix it with meat or heart / chicken stomach pieces. Many mustachioed pets like these treats.
- Egg white should not be given to cats too often. If you do not follow this rule, you can seriously damage the kidneys of the animal. Better give the yolk (preferably no more than 1 time per week).
- It is not recommended to give your cat lamb meat. Pork should be given less often. Such foods are too fatty and can negatively affect the functioning of the animal’s gastrointestinal tract.
Of course, if a cat snatches a small piece of meat from the table, then nothing terrible will happen to her, but you should not constantly give such delicacies.
- Don’t try to force fruit on your cat. It is very rare for these pets to eat such food. In addition, many of the existing fruits can harm your pet.
For a list of foods that are good for cats and diet tips, see the following video.
What other foods should not be given to a cat?
- For cats, chocolate, onion and garlic, avocado are poisonous.
- Do not give spicy, spicy, salty, smoked and fried foods.
- Sour foods should not be given to pets.
- An overabundance of B vitamins and biotin darkens the color in cats with color-point marks. These include cats of Siamese and Himalayan colors.
How a cat feeds kittens
A mother cat feeds kittens with her milk until about two months of age. She also begins to bring cubs, first strangled, and then live mice. Kittens weaned too early from their mother often do not know how to hunt mice. By the way, the mother also teaches kittens to hunt birds. And cats do not eat rats, only a healthy and well-fed cat can kill a herding rat. The offspring of the rat catcher are extremely prized in the countryside.
Can I give a cat fish, pork, milk, raw liver, bones, smoked meats??
Cats should not be fed raw fish. River fish may contain pathogens of dangerous worm diseases. Raw sea fish contains the enzyme thiaminase, which breaks down the vitamin thiamine, a lack of which can lead to nervous system disorders. In addition, there is an excess of phosphorus in fish, which often leads to urolithiasis.
Boiled fish, especially mixed with rolled oats, can also lead to ICD. In this mixture, there is an excess of phosphorus due to fish, and oatmeal alkalizes the urine. Sharp small fish bones are very dangerous for cats. A little boiled fish won’t hurt, but it shouldn’t be your main food.
Pork should not be given to cats due to the high fat content. In addition, causative agents of dangerous diseases can be found in pork and rabbit meat, especially in viscera that have not passed veterinary control.
Raw liver can cause stomach upset and even an excess of vitamin A. Pork liver is especially dangerous.
Adult cats often experience stomach upset from whole cow’s milk due to a lack of the enzyme lactase, which is involved in the absorption of the milk sugar lactose. It is better to accustom the cat to low-fat fermented milk products. If your pet cannot live without milk, then dilute the milk with boiled water and add egg yolk. Sometimes you can treat your pet to cheese or low-fat cottage cheese.
Do not give bones to pets. They can cause injury to the gastrointestinal tract.
What and how to feed a cat correctly: what you can give and how much
Questions about how and what to feed a cat are constantly on the ear: new foods are emerging, research is being conducted on the feeding behavior of pets. But since cats can be fed both canned and dry food, it is less and less likely that someone keeps them on “human” products.
Domestic cats are one of the most common companion animals. By the type of food, the cat is a strict (obligate) predator. This means that the cat prefers to eat prey that it has killed on its own. Here are some general guidelines for feeding cats. A cat’s needs will depend on its breed, size, age, energy level, and health concerns. Talk to your veterinarian about how many calories your cat should consume each day and how to manage her diet.
How and how much to feed a cat
Adult cats are fed 2-3 times a day. Don’t try to please the animal by serving delicacies. So the cat will start to be capricious.
If you have multiple cats in your household, keep in mind that the amount of food offered should not exceed the total daily calorie requirement for all cats. Otherwise, your cat or cats may gain weight, increasing the risk of developing health problems.
What to feed your cat: what natural foods can you give your cat
If you prefer to feed your cat with natural foods, there are a few rules to follow.
What natural foods can you give your cat:
- For a balanced diet, it is necessary to provide a high-quality vitamin and mineral complex.
- Preferred types of porridge in small quantities: rice chaff and buckwheat. Or rice and buckwheat flakes.
- Heart is preferable for offal.
- Beef can be given raw or scalded with boiling water, the rest of raw meat products are better boiled.
- The raw protein of a chicken egg contains avidin, which destroys vitamins of group B. Therefore, it is better to give the egg boiled or give the cat only egg yolk.
Features of cat nutrition
Cats do not eat carrion and very rarely eat a little grass to clear fur and bone fragments from the gastrointestinal tract. The main part of the diet of small representatives of the feline family is mouse rodents. Also, cats often eat small birds, insects and frogs. They eat prey starting from the head, then eat the contents of the intestines. Wild felines obtain all plant products from the stomach contents of their prey. Cats pre-pluck birds.
As you know, the greater the ratio of intestinal length to the length of the animal’s body, the more it is adapted to the digestion and assimilation of plant foods. In the domestic cat, the intestines are about four times as long as the body. For comparison, in herbivorous mammals, this ratio is 15-20 times. Therefore, a cat cannot become a vegetarian.
Domestic cats and seals have the following interesting nutritional features:
- cats cannot synthesize retinol (vitamin A) from carotenoids found in fruits and vegetables;
- the cat’s diet should be from 30 to 40% protein (protein);
- there is a substance on the cat’s coat that contains vitamins of group B. When the purr licks itself, it calms down thanks to this;
- cats do not tolerate prolonged fasting very badly;
- cats do not taste sweet.
How to feed your cat dry food
Feeding dry food is convenient, especially if the owner is working. Free access to dry food is preferable, then the cat can eat in small portions up to 40 times a day. Canned food from the same manufacturer can be added to dry food. When feeding with high-quality dry food, additional vitamins and minerals are not necessary, since the finished food is completely balanced. The ready-made feed contains additives for the prevention of urolithiasis. It is necessary to strictly adhere to the manufacturer’s recommendations. On the packaging of good food there is a table with the dosage of food depending on the age, body weight of the animal and its physiological state.
What can you give hamsters from food?
And yet, what is the best way to feed a hamster at home? You should be aware that the animal itself has a poor idea of what it can and cannot. Therefore, it is unlikely that he will choose his own food, guided by the principles of a healthy diet. he will “crush” everything he gets to. So the owner develops the diet for the pet, he is also responsible for the health and well-being of the ward.
Mandatory components of the hamster menu. these are feed (dry and wet), protein supplementation, vitamins with minerals and, of course, water, and it is not so easy to achieve the correct ratio due to the presence of a lot of all sorts of nuances. For instance. What can be given to hamsters of different ages (young and old individuals eat completely differently)? And in case of illness?
What is often asked about
Most often, hamster owners ask the same questions, for example: What can and cannot be given to hamsters? Is it allowed to feed fluffy pets with cheese, milk, loaf, bananas, pumpkin, persimmon, apples, grapes? What can you give a Syrian hamster? Should you give the animal to drink, or does it have enough liquid from the food? What can be given to a dzhungarik hamster, etc.?
Let’s talk about cheese right away. there is no consensus. Somewhere it is said about its negative impact on the health of the animal, other sources do not support this opinion. If you want to exclude the slightest possibility of trouble, it is still better not to use cheese.
Can a hamster be given cabbage? You can’t. neither white, nor red, nor Brussels. But nevertheless, Chinese and colored (pre-boiled) will not bring harm. The sweet fruits listed above (grapes, bananas, apples) are healthy and completely safe for hamsters, and the animals love them very much.
Never offer milk to your pet. you can neither give it to the animal, nor cook porridge in milk. This leads to severe digestive disorders. As for the loaf, under the categorical prohibition black, white will not bring harm. Persimmons are shown in small quantities, but sweet and completely non-astringent fruits are worth choosing.
and baby hamster
And if you have newborn animals? What can you give to a tiny hamster that is completely helpless? We’ll have to stock up on baby food, meat or vegetable. It is free of additives, soy, salt and sugar. Any dairy-free porridge (also unsalted and soy free) will do. In addition, you can take the most common cereals and soak in water or boil rice. The last option is suitable for a hamster of any age in case of an upset stomach.
Hamster babies can easily get diabetes, so it is recommended to limit sweet fruits in their diet. Like people, these animals. real sweet tooth, and will never refuse a delicacy. And here we repeat once again: you should not rely on the natural instinct of an animal that does not understand what is useful for him and what is not. The owner should take the decision of the question of healthy nutrition of the animal exclusively in his own hands.
We. slightly carnivorous.
Protein feeding is necessary for the animals, and many of them are happy to consume such food. Others categorically refuse, so sometimes it is difficult for the owner to determine what exactly to give to the capricious pet. In general, the list of protein sources allowed for rodents begins with boiled chicken (just do not try to salt it or add at least some spices). You can also give the hamster a hard-boiled egg (and you can feed both protein and yolk), low-fat kefir and the same cottage cheese (zero or one percent fat), as well as bifilin. Sometimes the owners feed the pets with shrimps (of course, peeled).
How often should you feed your hamster protein? It is better to do this once every couple of days or twice a week. It will be nice if you set a specific schedule, and the animal will receive such a diet on specific days. You shouldn’t give him protein for two days in a row.
What can you give a hamster for food? Hamster food
Have you got a cute little hamster or are you just planning? What are you going to feed? Did you know that it is not so easy for a fluffy miracle to choose the right diet? There are a lot of foods that hamsters simply cannot be given. Their diet is different from that of a human, as well as what constitutes the basis of the diet of fellows in the wild.
Today we’ll talk about the basic rules for feeding these cute animals and analyze the main questions that the owners have. The list of what can be given to Dzungarian hamsters is by no means small. But the list of prohibited things is quite extensive, and any responsible reasonable owner must be familiar with it.
Things to Avoid
Why is it contraindicated for hamsters to feed from the human table? The fact is that the products we are used to contain a large amount of spices, salt and pepper, vinegar, cinnamon. All of them are highly undesirable for our small wards.
Plus, human food is often too fatty for a hamster. This applies to lard, sausage, fatty meats, sour cream and cream. Or it might be too sweet. talking about sugar, jam, sweets or honey. And also salty. a lot of salt in canned vegetables, dried and smoked fish, etc. Fine flour, which is the basis of buns, pastries and cakes, is also not at all useful for your pet.
Avoid giving pitted fruits, which can be harmful. Do not toss bumps or nuts in their shells to your hamsters. Gnawing them, the animal can injure the cheek pouches on the sharp edges, and with the bones of the fruit tree. even get poisoned. In the same way, a spikelet with grains should not be thrown into the cage; it is better to exfoliate the grains and “serve” separately. The fact is that, with its sharp edges, a spikelet is capable of injuring the animal in the process of chewing.
Everyone loves fruit!
Next, you should clarify what you can give a hamster from fruits. You can safely feed your pet with plums, currants, gooseberries, blueberries, rose hips and pitted cherries. From time to time, offer the animal something from dried fruit. for example, a little raisins or dried apricots.
The hamster will not refuse dried apples, pears or banana chips. But do not give prunes in order to avoid problems. Experiments in feeding should not be allowed, having decided to replenish the diet with a new vegetable or fruit, consult with knowledgeable people.
Eating too much fruit is unsuitable due to the excess sugar content in them. Nuts should also be given a little (as a delicacy). You can treat your hamster with peanuts, walnuts, cashews, or seeds. sunflower and pumpkin.
Why you can’t feed from the table
Sometimes they reason like this: “Nature knows best. If the cat eats, then you can. ” And then in the cat’s bowl there are soup, pasta and the remnants of yesterday’s cutlet. You can not do it this way. By nature, cats are predators. They need a lot of protein, a little fiber, and a little more fat. On the contrary, human food is rich in carbohydrates and fats. Such food can ruin the cat’s stomach, lead to flatulence, colic and malnutrition.
Let’s see what foods should not be given to a cat:
- Salty, sweet, pickled, fried
- Pork. Too fat for cats, there is a risk of parasite infestation.
- Milk. Many cats develop lactose intolerance as they age.
- Liver. May cause flatulence when raw, constipation when cooked.
- Bones. May get stuck in the throat, damage the esophagus and stomach.
- Boiled potatoes. Absolutely useless, the cat’s stomach does not absorb starch.
- Legumes. Cannot be absorbed by cats, leads to bloating.
- Fish. There is a risk of developing urolithiasis and vitamin K deficiency.
- Tea and coffee. The caffeine in them threatens hyperactivity and unnecessary stress on the nervous and cardiac systems.
- From vegetables: ovocado, broccoli, onions, garlic, tomatoes.
- Grapes and raisins. Dangerous for cats as well as for dogs. the reason has not yet been established.
- Nuts. Dangerous due to the large amount of phosphorus. Be careful if your cat decides to play with a nut.
- Dog food. Varies in nutrient content, prolonged use may lead to malnutrition.
- Mushrooms. Contains Toxins Harmful to Cats.
A normal shopping list for a person looks approximately the same. As you can see, you will have to create a separate list for the cat.
Two points are especially surprising here: fish and milk. The idea that cats love them has become something of an axiom. People seem to be born, confident that it is necessary to treat a cat with milk and fish. But no. Cats don’t need both.
What should not be given to cats
- Eat what they give!
- I will buy anything, just sing.
And both are fundamentally wrong. Neither oversaving nor wasting food will help you find the best nutrition for your cat. You need to feed healthy food. Even if the cat herself does not agree with this.
Why shouldn’t a cat be given milk?
Like all mammals, kittens eat only milk. And, like almost all mammals, they stop assimilating it with age. Milk can provoke an attack of diarrhea in an adult cat. Of course, cats are often fed milk, and no external effects appear on the floor. However, no one knows how the cat feels inside.
Adult cats are not allowed milk, but fermented milk products are allowed: kefir, fermented baked milk, yogurt and low-fat sour cream, because nothing fatty is allowed at all.
Why shouldn’t a cat be given fish?
In nature, cats do not eat fish at all, because they cannot catch it. There are, of course, especially gifted cats who know how to fish, but these are exceptions. Mostly cats are fed fish because it is cheaper than meat.
Fish is not the healthiest food for a cat. Too much protein and minerals. If you often feed a cat with fish, urolithiasis and a deficiency of vitamin K may develop.It is better not to give river fish and freshwater fish, because there is a high risk of infection with helminths.
If we give fish, then sometimes observing a number of rules:
- No more than 1-2 times a week
- Better to give sea fish
- Remove bones and entrails
- Boil for about five minutes
Cats know how to subdue people. See how most owners buy more and more food to please their pets. They offer either fatter sour cream, or redder fish. And the tailed ones only turn up their noses from new delicacies. It is difficult with cats. They are finicky and nothing will make them eat if they don’t like the food. This is how they differ from dogs that do not stand in front of a bowl. Whatever lies there.
But it is impossible to follow the lead of cats. The diet should be useful first of all.