Is it possible to give an enema to a dog at home
An enema is a good way to help your dog to have a bowel movement. It is recommended to do it when the dog has not walked “in a big way” for more than two days. In the presence of systemic diseases and tumors in the intestine, an enema is contraindicated.
For this procedure, take warm water, saline or chamomile infusion. Sometimes petroleum jelly is added to the enema for the best effect. It is advisable to carry out the procedure together in the bathroom.
Introduce fluid with a bulb into the anus slowly and gently, then clamp the anus for a few minutes. If all of the injected solution has leaked out, the dog is likely to have a bowel obstruction. The procedure should be stopped, and the animal should be urgently shown to the veterinarian. If there is no intestinal obstruction, the enema will work in a few minutes, and the dog goes to the toilet.
Effective against helminths at all stages of development
Prazitel acts against the main types of parasitic worms. Destroys adults, their larvae and eggs.
The main causes of constipation in a dog
Constipation in a dog occurs for various reasons, including due to serious pathologies in the animal’s body. Constipation is caused by the following conditions:
- Diseases of the kidneys, liver, pancreas
- Diseases of the musculoskeletal system
- Tumors in the intestines, anus
- Inflammation of the prostate
- Diseases of the nervous system
- Improper feeding
- Overeating, hunger strikes
- Foreign bodies in the stomach, intestines
- Drinking irregularities
- Long-term use of certain medications (such as antibiotics)
- The presence of helminths in the intestines
With constipation, your pet needs urgent help. If untreated, constipation will provoke serious health problems and lead to intoxication of the body. If the animal does not go to the toilet for more than a week, the probability of the death of the pet is high.
Constipation or bowel obstruction. What are the differences
Constipation is a condition characterized by impaired bowel movements. Constipation is not a disease, but only a symptom of dysfunction of organs and body systems. The causes of constipation are errors in feeding the pet, taking certain medications, as well as serious diseases that lead to the formation of chronic constipation.
Constipation in a dog should be distinguished from intestinal obstruction. Intestinal obstruction is a state of the body in which intestinal motility is disrupted or completely stops. This is a serious problem that threatens the pet’s life. With intestinal obstruction, urgent help from a veterinarian is needed, self-treatment will harm the health of the animal.
Next, we will tell you by what signs it is determined that a dog has constipation.
Preventing constipation in a dog
We recommend the following measures to prevent constipation in your dog:
- For natural food, add vegetables and fiber to your pet’s diet. Eliminate gas-forming foods (legumes, cabbage, apples). Don’t give tubular bones.
- Don’t overfeed your dog.
- Provide access to clean drinking water.
- Walk your pet more. For pets prone to constipation, increase exercise.
- Give your pet anthelmintic drugs regularly.
Convenient to use
An atraumatic syringe-dispenser is included in the package of the drug. With its help, you give medicine to the dog without injury and stress. Using a syringe, accurately measure the required amount of suspension.
First aid for a dog with constipation
The dog owner should know what not to do if the pet is constipated:
- Don’t give your dog a laxative from a human first aid kit without a doctor’s prescription.
- Do not scold your pet, do not force it to eat or load it with active physical activity.
- If your pet has swallowed any inedible object, do not try to get it yourself. Seek help from a veterinary clinic.
If there is a stool retention, show your pet to a specialist. If this is not possible, try to provide first aid yourself:
- Review your pet’s diet. Eliminate rich meat broths, boiled meat, eggs. With a natural diet, feed the dog warm semi-liquid food, include bran, vegetables, and dairy products in the diet. Dry food is recommended to be soaked.
- The pet should always have access to clean drinking water.
- The pet is given petroleum jelly twice a day. Puppies. half a teaspoon, small dogs. 1 teaspoon, medium pets. a tablespoon, large dogs. 2-3 tablespoons. It is recommended to give until the animal’s stool returns to normal.
Causes of constipation in dogs
Four-legged friends can feel discomfort for a long time without making a sound, and only the attentive attitude of the owners will help determine that the dog has not been coping properly for some time. And since this phenomenon occurs quite often, it is worthwhile to find out in advance about the actions necessary in this case. How can you provide quick help without harming your dog??
Some pet owners, without even thinking too much, give them the usual preparations designed to eliminate constipation in humans. Experts, however, strongly recommend not to do this, because the dog’s body is arranged in a slightly different way than the human one.
What can cause a digestive disorder that leads to constipation? The most common options are worth considering:
- Power supply errors. Boiled bones, especially in large quantities, a sharp change in diet. from natural to dry or vice versa, an insufficient amount of vegetable fiber in food. contribute to the development of constipation. Frequent feeding of foods that strengthen the intestines also provokes difficult bowel movements.
- Lack of water. Experts recommend organizing a timely drinking regimen for the pet. In addition, it is necessary to monitor the freshness of the water by changing the liquid daily, as many dogs will not drink stagnant water and will suffer from thirst. In pets, drinking increases during the heat, with intense physical activity, feeding with dry food. If the animal does not have enough water, then the body begins to use the liquid that is in the large intestine, thus dehydrating the feces, making them hard and dry.
- Parasites. Worms and other parasitic organisms often damage the intestinal walls, thereby disrupting the absorption of nutrients and fluids, which leads to a malfunction of the intestines.
- Ingestion of wool in the digestive tract. If this happens regularly, whole wool lumps can form in the intestines, leading to constipation. Of course, this is most often a problem for cats, but dogs that lick themselves can also have this.
- Chronic illnesses. In most cases, the intestines are affected by diseases of the genitourinary system. in males it is prostatitis, in females. inflammation of the uterus and appendages, as well as inflammatory processes in the anal glands.
As you can see, there can be quite a few reasons, and, based on them, it is worth choosing the right laxative for the dog.
Laxative for dogs
By adopting a pet, we automatically become responsible for its well-being. Feeding, raising, walking. all these are the main responsibilities of the owner. Including taking care of your well-being. If we talk about dogs, then they are often worried about problems with defecation, which the pet will not talk about, but will silently endure the pain. Before we understand which laxative is best for dogs, we need to understand the root cause of constipation.
What remedies can be used for constipation in dogs
The best option for constipation of a dog is to contact a veterinary clinic, or at least a specialized pharmacy. But there is not always an opportunity for this, so it is worth knowing about home methods of getting rid of a pet from constipation. These include: liquid paraffin and magnesia.
Vaseline oil is approved for use without special restrictions. Being, in essence, liquid paraffin, the oil is not saponified by the action of bile, is not digested by the intestines, is not absorbed by its walls and leaves the body naturally in the same form in which it entered the body.
And it acts as follows. it makes the feces softer, envelopes what provoked constipation. a stool plug, a hairball formed, cellophane and other foreign objects that have penetrated the intestines, and also spreads its effect on its mucous membranes. And with all this, unlike other drugs, it does not enhance intestinal peristalsis.
You need to know that you can not replace liquid paraffin with vegetable or butter products. As for taking vaseline oil, small dogs need to be given it inside, at the rate of 2-3 ml every 10-12 hours. To do this, it is best to use a syringe without a needle, pouring in half a milliliter so that the dog can swallow it. Larger pets give more oil.
If the use of vaseline oil did not bring the desired result, but a greasy spot has already spread under the dog’s tail, then you need to cancel its use. In this case, you can use an enema with cool water.
Magnesia is a fairly effective drug used to relieve constipation in dogs, but it is not safe, since there are a number of serious contraindications. It should not be given to a pet if he has cholelithiasis, ailments affecting the heart or kidneys.
The tool has a laxative effect due to the fact that it has a very low absorption, and thereby attracts fluid into the intestines. With additional moisture, feces liquefy, and peristalsis becomes more intense.
A concentrated solution is poured into the pet, which is prepared from powder and water, or purchased in liquid in ampoules. For an adult pet of a small breed, 2 grams of the active substance is enough. And if you take a 25% solution, then this is an average of 6 ml for one dose. The taste of magnesia is very bitter, therefore it always causes intense salivation in animals.
The above remedies are among the most successful options for relieving constipation in dogs. They have a slow effect, after their application, the act of defecation can occur after 5-6 hours, and sometimes even later. over, they are not stimulants of intestinal contractions. Such a gentle method has practically no complications and side effects.
Why shouldn’t human drugs be given
Any owner who watches the pet’s torment at least once will have the thought: “If it helped me, then it will help the dog as well.” But no, in animals, such help may not pass.
Most laxatives for dogs are designed to stimulate bowel function. These include such well-known drugs as Guttalax, Bisacodyl, etc.
These funds will act on the dog’s body in the following way: having penetrated into the intestines filled with solid feces, the drug literally makes the intestines contract intensively. The organ begins to be active, and the compressed feces cannot budge in any way. Such exposure often leads to trauma to the intestinal mucous membranes, tissue rupture and intussusception.
Even if such complications did not occur, the animal will feel intestinal colic, bloating, painful cramps. So is it worth risking a dog’s health by offering it human remedies??
Enema for constipation
Enema is another option for relieving constipation in pets. It can be used even if the dog is pregnant and has any medical conditions. The procedure requires boiled chilled water and a rubber pear for small animals, or an Esmarch mug for large animals.
The pear must be boiled before use. In a mug, only the tip is boiled. To make the insertion more comfortable and not painful, the tip of the instruments must be generously lubricated with petroleum jelly or greasy baby cream. After filling the pear with water, you need to squeeze it a little so that excess air comes out.
Before the procedure, you need to put on medical gloves, and a muzzle on the dog, if the pet is small, then you can bandage the muzzle with a bandage. The dog is placed in a basin or tub, laid on its side. With some experience and a calm attitude towards the dog’s enema, a standing position can be used.
With one hand you need to raise her tail, and with the other, gently insert the end of the pear. After that, the liquid is slowly introduced. Not all pets calmly react to such an action, so it will be better if, during an enema, the owner calms the pet and strokes. And there shouldn’t be any sudden movements! After finishing, the tip is removed from the anus, and the tail is pressed for a few minutes. This will help retain water in the animal’s body. To avoid trouble, you can put on a special diaper on your pet and take him out for walks as often as possible.
Of course, enemas and laxatives will not help eliminate the causes of constipation, so a visit to the veterinarian is still necessary. He will be able to tell you what the problem is, and how to solve it correctly without harming the health of your beloved pet.
Symptoms and therapy
You can understand the presence of a problem by obvious signs. If a dog that previously bowed frequently is now doing atypically low doses or not doing so at all, it could be constipation. The owner can understand the presence of a problem if the individual makes strong attempts and whines when trying to perform this manipulation. Symptoms indicate constipation in a dog:
- overly swollen and tight belly;
- redness of the eyeballs;
- pallor of the mucous membranes;
- lack of normal appetite;
- in cases of intoxication, vomiting is noticed in the animal.
When constipation is found in dogs, many people know what to do at home, but not always a specific method can help the animal. It is important for the owner to understand the reason for the formation of this problem. If the reason is unclear or there is a suspicion that constipation was formed not from improper feeding and low mobility, but from more serious problems associated with internal organs, then you need to consult a doctor. In this case, it will be impossible to help the dog, in addition, you can harm the body.
When the reason is more or less clear or it is not possible to show the dog to the doctor, then you can start therapy at home, applying knowledge from traditional medicine. Before that, you need to get at least remote recommendations from the attending veterinarian.
If the dog has not evacuated for some time, the following manipulations must be performed:
- change the diet by replacing dry food with liquid food;
- walk the dog more, if it is not difficult for her yet;
- using a syringe, inject liquid paraffin up to 200 ml per large individual through the toothless mouth area;
- fight constipation with an enema.
In addition, you can cure an animal with pumpkin and buckthorn decoctions. You can give your dog a few tablespoons of linseed or vegetable oil for constipation. Softening and removal of feces occurs when using Duphalac. Many people know that you can give dogs with constipation kefir, or yogurt.
The veterinarian checks the condition of the intestines before treating the dog. If constipation is caused by the consumption of any foreign object with food or the individual has swallowed a toy, then an operation may be necessary, during which the foreign objects will be removed.
What to do with constipation in a dog at home
Every dog breeder should be aware of possible health problems. One of the most common troubles is constipation. If he was not noticed in time and the necessary measures were not taken, this can kill the animal. If a dog was found to have constipation, how and what to do in such cases, you can read in this article.
Constipation occurs in individuals of various ages and breeds. It can be diagnosed when the dog has not emptied for more than three days in the case of an older individual. Dogs of the middle age category are suspected of having this problem if they cannot defecate for more than 1-2 days, and puppies usually do this at least five times a day, therefore, if the puppy has not evacuated for more than a day, you should pay attention to this.
Why Constipation Occurs
In fact, there are a lot of reasons for obstruction of feces in the intestines. Main reasons:
- intestinal stagnation may be associated with feeding the animal too soft, small or large bones;
- feeding the dog with dry food with an insufficient amount of fluid consumed;
- excessive amount of absorbed feed;
- obesity due to a sedentary lifestyle;
- constant feeding with the same;
- feeding with fatty broth;
- obstruction of feces can develop after surgery if the animal was given anesthesia and this slowed down the body’s processes, including defecation.
Constipation can be caused by diseases developing in the body:
- damage to the kidneys and stomach, gastrointestinal tract;
- inflammatory processes in the body;
- if there is a tumor in the intestine or genital area;
- diseases of the central nervous system that accompany paresis and paralysis;
- an excessive amount of parasites (helminths);
- musculoskeletal system injuries (hip, spine);
Feces can also stagnate if the animal has previously suffered from diarrhea and the dog has been given astringents.
How to give an enema
In order for first aid to be provided with high quality, you need to know how to properly administer an enema. To do this, you need to consult a doctor, because a deep enema, which helps with prolonged processes, can only be delivered by a doctor. At home, the owner can only put a shallow.
In addition, you need to ask the doctor in detail about all the nuances of the procedure and about those fluids that can be used for an enema. Usually, if the dog does not have constipation, liquids such as ordinary boiled water or water with fish oil added to it, liquid paraffin or soap solution are used.
Fluids are poured in a certain amount, depending on the size of the dogs. If a large dog has constipation (up to 40 kg), then the amount of solution approaches one liter. If the procedure is required for a smaller specimen (up to 20 kg), then the liquid is taken in half. In the case when an enema is given to a puppy, 200 ml of liquid is enough. Enema is produced using various syringes and rubber pears. A small dog can be injected with a syringe.
For this procedure, the dog must be muzzled. It is better to put it on its side, or at least put it exactly over some basin. Tools must be equipped with a rubber tip. If at the same time the dog is tormented by severe pain, you can give it No-shpa. The injection is given intramuscularly, counting 0.1 ml per kg of weight.
A pear with a solution is inserted into the anus, but not deeper than 5 cm in large dogs and 3 cm in small ones. If the liquid does not pass into the intestine, it is worth stopping the procedure and entrusting the treatment to a doctor.
When it is necessary to treat constipation in young and light dogs, pour in exclusively boiled water, no more than 10 ml. Its temperature should be about 27 ° C.
To prevent intestinal problems, you need to walk your pet often. Animals should live in nature, and there they move a lot, so limiting their freedom is unnatural for them. You need to be in the fresh air for a long time, at least half an hour, play actively and make the dog move a lot.
Since constipation is most common in a dog after bones, you need to know that it is better to give the dog only raw bones. Refuse to feed with boiled bones, as well as too large and small, which clog the intestines. Constipation from bones is also unsafe because they can damage internal tissues. Therefore, you need to carefully consider what to feed your pet. After the operation, it is better to give the animal semi-liquid food, soups, cereals.
The animal should have free access to fluid around the clock. If you feed the dog with dry food, it has a bad effect on digestion, you need to mix it with semi-liquid food. Celery and pumpkin act well on the body. with this diet, dogs rarely suffer from stagnation of feces.
It is not very pleasant to treat constipation from helminths, therefore, it is necessary to prevent parasite infestation in advance. For this, many special tools have been developed, the appointment of which should be dealt with by a veterinarian.
Each owner can do enough to ensure that the pet is healthy and does not experience problems, including with bowel movements. It is better to take care of her health in advance, since it is much more difficult to help a dog with constipation.
3 Minute Tuesday: 3 Natural Constipation Remedies
What can you give your dog for constipation?
Defecation disorders in pets are common. So, constipation in a dog occurs more often than in cats and there are many reasons for this. Determining fecal stasis in a pet is quite simple. With regard to treatment, things are a little more complicated here.
Recognizing constipation is easy
In the absence of any intestinal problems, the dog defecates twice a day. Owners may suspect constipation in a pet due to the absence of bowel movements for more than a day. If the animal has never gone to the toilet during the day, then this is a wake-up call that it’s time to visit the veterinarian.
Also, constipation in a dog has the following symptoms:
Top 4 Home Remedies for Dog Constipation (Safe, Natural and Effective)
- making an effort when trying to defecate;
- attempts to go to the toilet end in nothing;
- soreness when emptying (the dog may whine);
- too dry stool;
- a small amount of faeces of an abnormal shape;
- presence of hairballs in feces.
In animals, with a prolonged absence of stool, the urge to defecate becomes more frequent. The dog often asks to go outside, whines and trembles, but in the end, after another attempt to defecate, the feces still do not come out. At the same time, the pet’s belly is unnaturally hard when probing, which is explained by bloating due to the accumulation of gases.
Treating constipation in dogs at home: simple and effective ways
What to do if a dog has constipation? Is it possible to treat a pet with folk remedies or is it better to use medicines? In what cases is self-medication strictly contraindicated? We’ll figure it out below.
What can you give your dog for constipation?
Wrong rhythm of life
- Improper nutrition.
- Feeding bones.
- Lying, sedentary lifestyle.
- Rare and short outdoor walks.
- Inadequate fluid intake.
- Entering the intestines of a foreign body (stone, toy).
First aid at home: liquid paraffin
Constipation in a dog what to do at home to relieve the condition of the pet and restore stool? If you are sure that the dog is constipated due to improper nutrition, for therapeutic purposes, you can give it a small amount of petroleum jelly.
Vaseline oil for constipation in dogs helps to soften the stool accumulated in the intestines and resume the work of peristalsis. In addition, this substance is absolutely safe for dogs, since it is not absorbed into the body and is excreted along with excrement.
You need to give the oil inside, putting it in the animal’s favorite treat. It should be warm, and the portions are small: half a teaspoon for small dogs, a teaspoon for medium and one and a half large ones. The recommended dosage is given twice a day, until the stool is restored.
If the animal has no appetite, then the remedy can be given with a syringe, after removing the needle from it.
Treating constipation in dogs is a question that needs to be approached responsibly. In especially severe cases, such as intestinal obstruction, swelling, volvulus, or a foreign object entering the digestive tract, surgery is needed.
If neither dietary changes nor other remedies are helping your dog, the problem may be much more serious than you previously thought. Do not ignore the problem, as due to intoxication of the body, the life of the dog may be in danger.
The accumulation of hardened masses, especially with fragments of bone, will expand the intestines and may even lead to its rupture. In the most difficult cases, animals are even removed part of the intestines with undigested masses.
The main and condition for treating constipation, regardless of the age and size, as well as the breed of your dog, is to see a doctor. Do not skimp on the health of your dog and do not neglect medical recommendations.
Self-treatment can even harm your pet. A mild case of constipation will not cause much discomfort to the dog, and this problem is easy enough to solve, but first, in any case, find out the doctor’s opinion. It can be difficult for a layman to determine how difficult the problem you are facing is. If you don’t know how to administer an enema, you can injure your dog’s intestinal wall. Overdosing on laxatives won’t do your dog good either.
What to give your dog for constipation
- Pumpkin: Adding some pumpkin to your dog’s food is a great way to prevent and cure constipation. Pumpkin has a high water content and an excellent source of fiber. You can either serve fresh pumpkin puree or use canned pumpkin puree.
- Supplements: There are natural supplements that can help treat constipation in your dog. They usually contain additives such as acidophilus, folic acid, and plant enzymes. See your veterinarian for recommendations.
- Laxatives: If your veterinarian advises this, a mild laxative may help. Of course, the amount will depend on the size and weight of your dog.
- Enema: in this case, the use of an enema is performed exclusively by your veterinarian, it is he who must give permission for its use.
- Milk of Magnesia: A small amount of milk of magnesia may be all he needs for constipation, but again, check with your veterinarian first.
- Bran (wheat and oats): Bran works as a preventative agent (much like pumpkin) when it is regularly added to your dog’s food.
- Powdered Psyllium Seeds: Psyllium seeds draw water into stools and help move.
- Mineral Oil: Mineral oil helps lubricate stools.
- Aloe Ferox: Aloe Ferox has a beneficial effect on the digestive system and acts as a natural remedy to cleanse and heal.
- Increased exercise: Increased exercise will massage the internal organs and increase blood flow in the colon.
You wanted to know what to give your dog for constipation. I think these 10 remedies will definitely help you heal your dog.
How do you know if your dog is constipated??
You may find that your dog is less likely to empty out despite eating a normal amount of food. Constipated dogs will strain to empty themselves. The stool is usually shaped and has a hard, dry consistency. You may notice that the dog’s anus is bulging, but the stool does not move.
If constipation continues for a long time, your dog may lose its appetite. Vomiting may occur due to the appearance of the hind intestine in the colon.
When to take a constipated dog to the vet
Of course, what to give a dog for constipation is good and the above remedies can help, but in some cases you need to react seriously, and only a veterinarian can help.
It’s good to call your veterinarian as soon as you hear of a problem. Constipation can be a sign of some very serious medical conditions.
Long-term or chronic constipation can lead to a build-up of dried feces that gets stuck in the colon, known as constipation. This can lead to another condition, which is marked by the impossibility of normal bowel movements. megacolon. The large intestine swells up and loses the ability to move stool. Chronic constipation is both a contributing factor and a symptom of this disorder.
When you visit your veterinarian, make sure you are armed with as much information as possible, including:
Depending on the duration and severity of symptoms, a veterinary examination may consist of:
- palpation of the abdomen;
- rectal examination;
- abdominal radiographs;
- barium enema;
- Ultrasound or colonoscopy;
- complete blood count;
- Analysis of urine;
- neurological test.
Causes of constipation in dogs
- Inappropriate nutrition (eating bones, plastic, garbage, etc.),
- Metabolic disease that causes dehydration or electrolyte problems,
- Tumors in the gastrointestinal tract,
- Neurological abnormalities (problems of the spine or the neuromuscular system),
- Orthopedic pain (usually involving the spine or hind limbs),
- Medications (drugs, antihistamines and antacids),
- Behavior problems (anxiety),
- Frosted fecal material in wool blocking the anus.
What can you give your dog for constipation??
Just like humans, dogs can feel constipation, making them uncomfortable and even painful. Typically, this condition can be associated with a lack of fiber in the dog’s diet or not getting enough water throughout the day. Feeding your dog certain types of food can also contribute to the problem. There are many treatment options for constipation, we have listed just a few remedies to give your dog a constipation treatment.
Please keep in mind that you should always check with your veterinarian before making any changes to your dog’s diet or medication (and also to be sure he is not showing symptoms of a more serious illness or disorder).
Veterinary treatment and prevention
Most cases are resolved with gentle treatments such as increasing fluid and fiber levels or increasing exercise. Laxative suppositories and enemas can be helpful, but should only be used under the direction of a veterinarian, especially if needed for an extended period.
In more extreme cases, medical interventions are needed such as:
- Removal of the affected feces by hand;
- A drug to activate normal colon function or to block the production of certain enzymes;
- Surgery may be needed in very rare, extreme cases, usually for a megacolon. One surgical procedure known as colectomy, which removes portions of the colon.
For most dogs, constipation will be a rare problem that will be controlled with a balanced diet, access to fresh water and regular exercise, this is the main thing in giving the dog constipation.
Sources used when writing the article: