Teaching a dog to carry a thing
Now that the dog has learned to take the thing without any problems, it is necessary to teach it to move around with the thing in its teeth. Give the dog an object, command “Near” and walk 5-6 steps. Then stop, grab the object and say “Give.” Praise and give a treat.
If the dog spits out the object after you commanded “Nearby”, do not get angry. it is difficult for the dog to do 2 things at the same time. Stop, order her to sit, and repeat the procedure described. If, after numerous repetitions, the dog still does the wrong thing. do not say the command “Near”, but give him the object and just quietly pull the leash behind you. Subsequently, make sure that he still learns to move on the command “Near”.
We teach the dog to take a thing
First, you need to ensure that the dog, at the command “Aport”, takes the offered thing in its teeth and holds it for a few seconds until you command “Give”.
Find a quiet place, take the dog on a leash and sit in a “beside” position. Place the leash in your left hand, and in your right hand take an object and offer it to the dog. As an object, you can use a stick, an old glove, or any other thing that the dog will enjoy holding. Do not use food, toys, or items with long fur. Tease the dog with a thing, and when he wants to grab the object, say “Aport!” and let me do it. As soon as the dog grabs the object, sincerely praise him and repeat the command. If the dog is holding the object listlessly and without enthusiasm, pull on it, this will force the dog to tighten its grip. Praise again and repeat the command. Now say “Give”, take the item, praise and give the treat. Until this moment, the treat should be hidden in the. since no dog will hold an object if at the same time waving a treat in front of its nose.
If your dog refuses to take the thing, put it in the mouth yourself and lightly squeeze the muzzle with your fingers (for a start for 1-2 seconds) so that the dog cannot spit it out. After that, immediately actively praise and give the treat. Do not try to force the object into the dog’s teeth too roughly, as this will cause a negative reaction.
How to teach a dog the Aport command
Pulling is a rather difficult skill, but in most dogs it is developed relatively easily and is traditionally included in the general course of training (OKD).
What does the Aport command mean? At the command “Aport” the dog must pick up the thing thrown by the trainer, return to him, go around to the right and behind, and then sit at the left leg, waiting for the trainer to pick up the thing. It is impossible for the dog to jump out of place and fly to the thrown thing until the trainer gives a command, nor should it throw the thing until the trainer himself bends down and picks it up. Exercise “Aport” differs from the usual stick game in that in this case the dog performs all actions only on command.
You can start teaching the command when the dog is 7-8 months old and knows the commands “To me”, “Near”, “Sit”. So, let’s look at how to teach a dog the command “Aport“.
The Most Important Command in Dog Training!
Teaching a dog to lift a thing from the ground
To teach your dog to pick up and serve things from the ground, do the following: take the dog on a leash and order it to sit. Then show her the thing and throw it forward a short distance and so that the object is in the dog’s line of sight (you need to throw with an outstretched hand from the bottom up). Simultaneously with the throw, say “Aport!”, Point your hand at the object and, together with the dog on a leash, go towards it. Approaching the object, repeat the command again. If the dog does not understand what to do, move the thing with your foot and repeat the command. When the dog picks up the object, praise him, walk with him a couple of steps “beside”, then grab the object and say “Give”. Praise and give a treat.
When the dog begins to confidently pick up the thing from the ground, it is necessary to teach him not to dash off without a command. Put the dog in, throw the object, but do not say “Aport” at once, but wait a couple of seconds. If the dog gets off the ground, use the leash to bring it back and order it to sit down Then command “Aport”, point your hand towards the object and move towards it. Repeat exercise.
When your dog is good at the exercise, send him after the apparatus and stay behind him. When the dog has picked up the item, say “To me” and then “Near”. Wait for the dog to sit on your left and take the item. Now praise her and encourage her.
Gradually cancel the intermediate commands “To me”, “Next”, “Give”, the dog must correctly do the whole complex of exercises on one command. “Aport”.
The choice of the aported item
For training, you can choose any object that will be convenient for the animal to grab with its teeth and quickly bring it to the trainer. This can be a tennis ball, a frisbee plate, a plastic bottle filled with sand or cereal, or a stick. Dogs are reluctant to take fluffy objects into their mouths. Therefore, the selected item should be smooth, firm, moderately heavy.
The item should serve for a long time, be easy to disinfect, not injure the pet’s oral cavity. To develop the cognitive abilities of the dog, you can teach it to bring a certain object, choosing it from several abandoned.
The item must be attractive to the dog. She must confidently hold it and give it on the command “Give”. If the dog at the initial stage is not interested in the object or does not hold it tightly enough, then you need to interest him by teasing and pretending that you want to take the thing away. This will cause the pet to increase its grip significantly.
At the initial stage of training, you should practice the commands “Aport” and “Give”. Some animals with a choleric disposition are too keen on the subject. In this case, you should hide it so that the dog calms down and learns to react more adequately to the object.
What gives the animal mastering the skill
Searching for and bringing “prey” to the owner is a genetically inherent program. Dogs were most often used for hunting. They were supposed to deliver the game shot by the hunter. During the selection of the breed, those specimens were selected that possessed this instinct. Learning to execute the “Aport” command reinforces, hones both innate instincts and trains skills:
- orientation in space;
- using the senses. smell, hearing and sight;
- creating a kind of “language” between the owner and the dog;
- building logical relationships between gesture, voice command and action;
- obedience and endurance training.
In addition to the development of psychoemotional, cognitive and physical abilities of the animal, the retrieval makes it possible for the animal to “throw out” excess energy in a limited time.
How to teach a dog the command “Aport
Pulling is not just a stick game, but a complex skill included in the compulsory training course. Most dogs learn the command quickly and without any problems. And those owners who claim the opposite. did not exert enough patience or did not have knowledge of how to teach a dog the command “Aport”.
What does the haul skill imply?
The requirements for testing OKD indicate that the execution of the command “Aport” includes:
- the pet’s initial position at the owner’s left leg, which the dog takes on the command “Sit”;
- the owner shows the object to the pet and throws it at least 10 m;
- the time interval between the throw and the direct command “Aport” is 10-15 s;
- simultaneously with the voice command, the owner stretches out his right hand in the direction of the object, turned down with his palm;
- on command, the dog runs after the thrown object, picks it up from the place where it landed, returns to its owner and takes its starting position;
- the dog holds the object in its mouth for 10-15 seconds and after the command “Give” allows the trainer to take it.
The command is considered executed correctly, provided that the dog:
- does not rush to search earlier;
- calmly refers to the found object. does not gnaw or torment it;
- waits for the owner to pick up the item without dropping it.
For the dog to be able to master such a skill, by the time of learning to retrieve, he must already know and execute the commands “Sit”, “Near”, “To me”. If you train a dog to follow the command according to the standard, then this is a difficult, long-term business. But in everyday life, it is enough to teach the dog to just bring the object and give it.
Step-by-step teaching method
Teaching anyone, even the simplest skill, is a step-by-step process that includes:
- mutual explanations;
- achievement of automatism in the performance of the task;
- full and long-term consolidation of skills.
The initial stage consists of sub-steps that help to achieve the result step by step:
- Training should be carried out in special conditions. at home or on the site there should be no irritants that distract the dog’s attention (factors affecting basic instincts. sexual, defensive, hunting).
- The right motivation should be chosen. encouragement with a treat, stroking, praise. As a result, a positive emotional bond is formed between the pet and the owner. Trying to earn a treat, the dog will try to fully understand and execute commands.
- Reciprocal explanations involve the interaction between human and dog by creating their own ‘language’. The owner must represent the stages, their implementation and the final result in order to accurately and easily explain this to the pet.
- Outlining the boundaries of skill formation. The trainer must know exactly what he is supporting with delicacies and affection, and the animal must understand what is required of him and how to get the trainer’s approval. At this substage, a contrasting effect is also applied. for the incorrect execution of the command, the dog is punished (jerking with a leash, pushing with his hands, threatening intonations), but as soon as the animal corrects the mistake, it is encouraged by affection or a treat.
- Training in the execution of sanctioning commands that launch the command “Aport”. “Sit”, “To me”, “Give”.
- Teaching canceling commands, for example, “Take a walk”. Without it, the dog should not stop training.
- Working out the training regimen. the time of training should be alternated with a period of rest, which should also be active in order to maintain physical and mental readiness for work.
Which Words Should You Use For Commands
At the second stage of bringing the execution of the command “Aport” to automatism, you also need to adhere to certain substages:
- At this stage, the dog must follow the commands clearly and quickly. If at the first stage the animal can bring the object at different speeds, then at the second stage the dog should bring it up with them running, without being distracted by extraneous stimuli.
- The number of punishments prevails over encouraging punishments in order to form a strong desire in the dog to avoid them, accurately performing the task. But the trainer must correctly reinforce the execution of commands with encouragement so that the overall emotional background of the training remains positive.
- The owner must maintain the intensity of the exercise for the entire allotted period of time.
At the initial stages of training, a leash or rope is used, with the help of which the trainer controls and implements a negative reinforcing effect. At the third stage, the number of rewards at each stage is reduced. The dog quickly, without being distracted, accurately fulfills the command and receives encouragement in the form of affection or treats after correctly executing the command.
The stage of making a decision and developing an optimal action plan is replaced by the final automation of the skill. Requirements for the number of correctly executed commands are becoming more stringent. the overwhelming majority of them should be in the third stage.
The trainer must take into account the temperament, learning ability, natural instincts of the dog. Classes should be held regularly and consistently. The coach should not show nervousness, aggression or inconsistency in violation of his requirements.
Depending on the size and muscle strength of the animal, the training period should be at least an hour. In the first 30 minutes, the dog is interested, longs for delicacies. In the second half, he is tired, distracted, and jaded. The trainer must keep the animal working, making it clear that he needs to execute the command, if he doesn’t even want to.
Do not confuse physical abuse and physical punishment. The impact is made with an even mood, without irritation and screaming. The trainer corrects the execution of the command by pulling the leash, jerking or pressing the hands, rather than striking.
In between training, periods of active rest are needed, when the owner praises for the lesson completed, plays with the pet to maintain physical activity, create a long-term emotional state and prevent mental overload.
Is it possible to teach an adult dog from scratch?
Adults are less trainable than puppies. However, they can also be trained in the Aport command. To achieve success in this business, it is important to choose an object that will attract the animal, and deal with it daily for several weeks using the same method as with puppies.
It is inappropriate to train this team only for adults who are engaged in official work, including sapper, rescue and search operations. It is enough to teach them the commands “Sit”, “Near”.
Training and commanding methods
How to teach a dog to sit command at home
Before starting independent training, you need to study the literature on how to teach a dog commands at home, or consult a professional trainer.
Important! The success in training is influenced by the regularity of the training. They should be carried out at least 2 times a week, and preferably every day. Cynologists say that training takes place most productively after 3-4 hours after feeding.
Experienced trainers have developed methods for teaching puppy commands. They take into account both the personality of the trainer and the characteristics of a particular dog:
- mechanical. the command is reinforced by force;
- gustatory. the team is supported by a caress or delicacy;
- contrast. a combination of coercion with encouragement;
- imitative. based on the ability of dogs to imitate.
Labrador ready to carry out any command
The choice of method must be approached selectively. What is suitable for a Labrador, Chihuahua will be contraindicated. In addition to the breed, the choice of the method is influenced by the age, the reaction of the dog’s behavior, the purpose of training.
A mongrel mongrel in training does not differ from dogs with a pedigree. She is capable of performing basic commands, circus stunts and even guard duty.
How do you teach your puppy commands so that he doesn’t give up training? It is recommended to conduct classes with him in a playful way, without tiring the puppy. The effectiveness of the lesson will increase when encouraged by affection, treats.
Important! Teaching teams should follow the principle of consistency: from a simple exercise to a complex one. They take an exercise and get the pet to perform correctly and only then move on to the next task.
If the dog refuses to work for any reason, it should not be forced, it is better to take a break from training.
Classes are first conducted in a familiar environment. After fully practicing the skills, the training is transferred to an unfamiliar place, you can invite strangers, create distractions.
How to teach the Aport command to an adult dog?
There are two ways to do this. The first is based on the teaching method of young animals:
- the dog is put on a leash;
- arrange a teaser;
- prompting to grab a thing;
- pronounce the command;
- when the animal grabs the toy, it is stroked and praised: “Good!”, “Well done!” etc.
The dog must master a strong grip, which is achieved by the game of tug. If the animal tries to spit out the stick, then you should hold the mouth with your hand and say “Aport”. Then “Give” is pronounced, the item is taken away and the dog is treated to a delicious treat.
Pick up an item
Show your pet a toy, play a trick, get the dog to grab the object by itself and say the command.
You should decide whether you will teach the pet command “Take” as a separate, or only as a complex. If there is a need / desire to teach an animal to carry a bag, umbrella, leash, it should be trained. It is more convenient to work with a long rope, such as a linen one. Gloves should be worn to protect your hands from cuts, splinters and burns.
Show the animal the object to be grabbed, tease him and bring him to grab the object. If necessary, this action is accompanied by the “Take” command. Encourage and praise the dog, let him play with the object.
Basic Dog Training – TOP 10 Essential Commands Every Dog Should Know!
Irritate the dog, but do not give the toy away, but “accidentally” drop it nearby. Having become interested in the game, the dog will pick up the toy. Command “Aport” and praise the animal. It is important to ensure that the dog does not tear the toy, does not get carried away with the game. it immediately gives it away. It is especially important to stop the pet’s attempts to escape with the object, forcing the trainer to catch up with it.
Gradually, the distance between yourself and the “dropped” toy should be increased. In this case, the dog must be on a leash to avoid escape. If the pet picks up a toy thrown a couple of meters, it’s time to move on to the next training point.
Important! If you can’t get your dog interested in a toy, you can take a hollow tennis ball. Use a knife to cut through the gap and fill the ball with goodies. The dog’s sense of smell is very sharp, even a stubborn person will not be able to resist such an appetizing bait.
For dogs with a weak grip, a training method based only on giving treats can be used. The subject of the delivery is a favorite treat or bone, wrapped in linen. Classes will be more productive if they are held in the morning before breakfast.
- the pet is given a sniff of the canvas with a delicacy;
- throwing “bait” in front of the animal;
- pronounced “Aport“;
- the dog is encouraged with a bite of his favorite food.
In subsequent lessons, you can practice with ordinary accessories.
What you need to know
After you figured out what the command to the dog “fetch” means and decided to teach your puppy the ability to bring things, you need to understand what the essence of the order is and when it is considered correctly learned and correctly executed. The meaning of the order is one. to bring. But the question is what the dog should bring and what the owner should do for this.
Correctly carried out training of a puppy means that the animal, at the first order, or even a gesture of the trainer, is able to trouble-free and quickly find any object thrown at a decent distance (15 m or more) and bring it to its owner. At the same time, the task of a puppy or an adult dog is not just to bring the found item, but to do it right.
When a puppy is being trained from scratch, it is better to immediately train the animal to correctly follow the order.
This means that the dog must bring the item, bypassing the owner on the right, sit at his left leg and give the found item on demand. Proper training of the puppy also allows the animal to be placed in front of the owner.
This means that the dog should not go around the trainer from behind. How it looks can be seen on the video on the net.
How to teach a puppy to the command “Aport“?
Kids are taught through the game. Ideal training equipment would be:
- ball (cloth or rubber);
- a cane up to 20 cm long (it can be wooden, plastic, rubber);
- matter rolled up in a tight ball;
- favorite toy, etc.
First you need to interest the pet, to lure him into the game. In principle, babies almost instantly react to the most ordinary teaser (dragging): the rapid movement of an object near the face. At the same time, they repeat “Aport”. It is very important that the animal has a passion and an irresistible desire to pick up the item.
When the animal grabs the aportic material, it is pulled towards itself until they are convinced that the animal holds the object well. After some time, with the words “Give”, the toy is taken away and a treat is given out instead. usually, when he sees a treat, the puppy instantly unclenches his teeth in joy and returns the object.
At this stage, it is enough to instill a passionate desire for the game so that the animal burns out with impatience only when it sees the object of transportation.
As you work, the holding time is increased, and the baby is also allowed to carry the accessory while moving. At the same time, they teach the animal to take an object from the floor, but for this you need to be careful and show all your skill:
- as soon as during the game it is noticed that the pet is about to grab the toy, it is necessary to throw it on the floor with the words of the command “Aport”;
- if the animal picks up an object, it is encouragingly stroked;
- the delicacy can be given only after the object is returned to the hands of a person.
If suddenly, in the heat of the game, the pet begins to rush around the field with its toy, then he is called by the command “Come to me” and run in the opposite direction. this prompts the animal to quickly return to the trainer.
The more times classes are held, the more attention is paid to discipline:
- the baby is fastened on a short leash;
- forcing to pick up an object on command;
- run with him a couple of meters;
- take a few calm steps;
- only after that they stop, ask to return the item (they just take it) and encourage.
In the future, after grabbing the object, on order, they move with the dog on foot, increasing the distance to several hundred meters.
“Place” (return to the specified place)
You can start training a puppy with any team, but he should know his place from an early age. They pronounce the order “Place” and point with their hand to the litter. If the puppy does not react, he is taken to his place in his arms and the command is repeated.
You can tame to a certain place by creating a pleasant association: they put a treat or a toy under the lounger. If the puppy does not understand the command, he is put on a leash and pulled with every attempt to leave the place.