Far Eastern Navaga
Far Eastern navaga is the name of another commercial cod breed; the main habitat is the northern territories of the Pacific Ocean, although it can be found in many northern and Far Eastern seas.
Other features of the fish are listed below:
- A related breed is the White Sea navaga, but it is significantly inferior in size to its Far Eastern relative.
- The body length is on average 20-35 cm, but some trophy specimens grow up to 50-60 cm.
- For most of the year, the Far Eastern navaga tries to stay close to the coast, but during the summer season it swims far out to sea in search of food.
- Puberty occurs at the age of 2-3 years, spawning occurs in the winter, when the water temperature drops to minimum levels.
- Far Eastern navaga is a very common cod species, thanks to this its commercial fishing is well established, which in terms of volume is 10 times larger than the catch of the White Sea variety.
Pollock is a schooling cod rock that can be found both near the surface of the water and at considerable depths.
The features of this fish are as follows:
- The body length is 50-70 cm, the largest individuals grow up to 90-100 cm.
- Pollock lives in the North Atlantic, but this breed is characterized by migrations over very long distances.
- Commercial pollack fishing is very well developed, most of the fish is used to make canned food. Its popularity is due to the taste of meat, which is very similar to salmon, but at the same time costs much less.
Alaska pollock is one of the most valuable and well-known representatives of cod, below are the features of this species:
- The main habitat is the northern Pacific Ocean, where most of the representatives of this breed are concentrated.
- Pollock loves to be in cool water, with strong warming, it can migrate to places with a lower temperature regime.
- Pollock spends most of the time at a depth of at least 600 meters; it approaches shallow water areas or the coastline only before spawning.
- Alaska pollock leaves for its first spawning upon reaching the age of 3-4 years, reproduction can occur in winter or summer. it depends on the characteristics of the habitat.
- The average body length is 50 cm, but some individuals can reach large sizes.
- Alaska pollock is the most abundant cod species in the Pacific Ocean. His commercial fishing is well established; not only meat is appreciated, but also the liver of this fish. In some places, for example, near the Japanese coast, it is not caught due to infection with various parasites.
The habitat of representatives of the cod family is vast, they can be found in the following places:
- All seas located in the northern hemisphere are home to most species.
- Five varieties can be found in the seas of the southern hemisphere.
- Burbot is the only species found in freshwater bodies of the Americas, northern Europe and Asia.
- The eastern part of the Atlantic is home to a large number of breeds belonging to the family.
- A large number of cod live in the Baltic Sea, but it is the only representative of the family here.
- The coasts of South America, New Zealand and South Africa are the places where 3 cod breeds can be found.
Equatorial waters are the only place where fish belonging to the cod family are completely absent.
The main features of this process are discussed below:
- Most species reach sexual maturity at 3-5 years, but cod and some other breeds go to their first spawning at 8-10 years.
- Spawning lasts for several days.
- Cod and moth are distinguished by increased fertility, at one time they are able to lay more than a million eggs. Otherwise, navaga multiplies: during spawning, it lays only a few thousand eggs.
- All codfish prefer cool water, so spawning occurs in winter or early March, when the temperature does not exceed 0 ° C.
The distribution of fish occurs from the first days of their life, since not all fry remain in the water column: many are carried away to other places by rapid currents. Haddock fry prefer to hide behind jellyfish, which is their reliable protection against most natural enemies.
Representatives of the cod family can make several long migrations throughout their life, moving over long distances. Usually this is due to a decrease in the food supply in habitable places, a change in the direction of currents or temperature conditions.
Haddock is found primarily in the North Atlantic and tends to stay close to American and European coasts.
Below are the main features of this breed:
- Haddock is easy to recognize by its appearance: the laterally flattened body has a characteristic silver color, a thin black line runs through the sides, and a noticeable spot is located above the pectoral fin.
- The body length is 50-70 cm, sometimes there are trophy specimens growing up to 100 cm.
- The diet includes food of animal origin: crustaceans, molluscs, herring roe, fry and worms.
- Commercial fishing is well developed in the Barents and North Seas, haddock is one of the most valuable members of the cod family.
Many cod fish have nutritional value, so they are bred on an industrial scale. Most of the fish are caught in the Atlantic, with annual volumes reaching 6-10 million tons. Significant breeds include haddock, Atlantic cod, pollock and pollock: their fillets and liver are valued, which contains a large amount of vitamins and nutrients. Given the specific habitat of these species, bottom trawls are used for fishing.
Most of the representatives of this breed of cod live in the Atlantic and Mediterranean and try to stay close to European shores. Sometimes whiting is also found near the Crimean coasts, where it gets there randomly after strong storms.
Other features of this fish are discussed below:
- The average body length varies from 30 to 50 cm, some large specimens grow to 60-65 cm.
- Merlang is a predatory breed, the basis of its diet is crustaceans, fry and small adult fish.
- Commercial fishing for whiting is established in most northern seas.
- Whiting has a large number of natural enemies: it is included in the diet of large predators and dolphins.
- Whiting falls very rarely to a depth; it prefers to stay in the water column closer to the surface.
- Whiting leaves for the first spawning at the age of 2 years, during this process it sinks to a depth of one meter. Reproduction begins if the water temperature does not drop below 5 °
All about the cod family, cod. sea or river fish?
The cod family includes over a hundred species of fish, which are found mostly in the northern hemisphere. All of them are marine inhabitants, the exception is only one representative of the family. burbot, which is found and lives in fresh waters.
In pelagic-benthic species, the basis of the diet is made up of organisms that inhabit the benthos: worms, molluscs, crustaceans. Large pelagic species (haddock, cod) also hunt smaller fish species and eat their own young. Fish do not eat plant food, they lead a predominantly predatory lifestyle. Freshwater burbot collects bottom dwellers, small crustaceans and larvae, and also hunts small fish.
It differs from the above in size, which is up to one and a half meters. Life expectancy is only 10 years, during which this fish can bring out the fetus 2 times. They can eat navaga and pollock. The value is. meat.
Types of cod fish. Appearance and dimensions
This species may have two or three fins on its back. The anal area also usually has several fins. The fin in the tail area is well developed. For fish of this family, a distinctive feature is that absolutely all fins are without spiny rays.
All individuals are endowed with large gill openings and a small antennae in the chin area. Fishes of the cod family are characterized by small scales. Basically, all fish, except for burbot, prefer to live in small flocks and stay close to the bottom.
The size and weight can be very different. For example, individuals feeding exclusively on plankton are much smaller than the predatory representatives of this family. Of the codfish, the smallest species is the deep-sea gadikul. The average length of this fish is 12 centimeters. You can meet her in the North Atlantic. One of the largest species is the Atlantic cod. Its dimensions can reach up to 1.8 meters in length.
Nutrition is individual for each representative, as already mentioned above, some feed on grass, while others belong to the category of predators.
Cod fish spawn almost always in salt water. Most fish only reach the age of 5 years, but the first spawning occurs only at 8 years old. The spawning period itself lasts 3-3 days.
Cod and moth are distinguished by a large volume of fruits, they are capable of laying about a million eggs. Navaga, much less, only 2-5 thousand eggs. Codfish only love cool odes, so breeding takes place in winter.
Fish of the cod family
The family of cod fish includes a large number of species, but only a few species of them are industrially mined, including:
- Far Eastern pollock;
- Cod (Pacific and Atlantic);
- Navaga (Far East and North);
- Saika (polar cod);
- Northern blue whiting (fishing in the southern part by Russian companies is not currently conducted).
All these species. marine, small rocks can sometimes enter the estuaries of large rivers, where the salinity of the water is greatly reduced. But they are never found in freshwater bodies.
Cod species vary greatly in size. Among the smallest representatives are lusks, chaplains, tresochki. Their length rarely exceeds 20 cm.
The largest commercial fish of the cod family. Atlantic cod. grows up to 1.8 m.Other species. Pacific cod, haddock, whiting, etc. rarely exceed 1.2-1.5 m.
Far Eastern Navaga
It lives in many countries of the Far East. The longest fish is 25. 60 centimeters. The whole period of the year is located near the coast, but with the onset of summer it swims away in search of food. Ripening for spawning occurs as early as 2 years old and occurs only in winter, when the water temperature goes into subzero temperatures.
Marine inhabitant of the cod family.
Lives in such seas as:
Leads a gregarious lifestyle, being either in the water column or closer to the bottom. It grows in length up to 70 cm, although there are individuals up to 1 meter long, and sometimes even more. It lives mainly in the northern waters of the Atlantic. Migrates across the Atlantic over considerable distances: with the arrival of spring it heads north, and with the arrival of autumn it returns to the warmer waters of the Atlantic Ocean.
Pollock is also caught in large volumes. It makes quite tasty canned food called “sea salmon”. This is due to the fact that pollock meat and salmon meat are characterized by a similar taste, but pollock meat is much cheaper.
This fish almost always stays in the water column, at depths of half a kilometer and more, and only at the moments of spawning does it move closer to the coast, to smaller areas.
Pollock begins to spawn after 3 or 4 years of age. The spawning period, depending on the habitat conditions, can begin in winter and continue until summer. Pollock can grow up to 0.5 meters in length, and sometimes more.
Alaska pollock belongs to one of the most numerous members of this family, which are found within the Pacific cold waters. This fish is caught on an industrial scale in huge volumes, therefore it ranks first in the number of fish caught today. Nutritious and healthy both the meat of this fish and its liver.
Fish of the cod family. species, description
Almost all representatives of the genus Cod, with the exception of burbot, prefer to live in salt water. over, reservoirs should be located closer to the northern hemisphere, since their element is cold water.
The cod family includes about 100 species of various fish, and almost all of them are inhabitants of salt sea water, and only one burbot inhabits freshwater rivers and other water bodies. The most common of them are: haddock, navaga, blue whiting, cod, hake and many others. What are the differences between the cod family and other representatives of the seas and oceans will be discussed in this article.
This type of fish is already listed in the international Red Book and the Red Book of Russia. Atlantic cod grows up to 1.8 meters in length, although the average size is between 40-70 centimeters. Atlantic cod feeds on various crustaceans, molluscs, including fish.
Cod females begin to lay eggs at the age of 8-10 years, with a weight of 3-4 kilograms. She lives in the Atlantic Ocean. It is highly prized for nutritious and healthy meats, including the liver, which is rich in healthy fats. Delicious canned food is obtained from cod. Many are familiar with such a delicacy as cod liver, which is used to make delicious sandwiches and other cold snacks.
In 1992, the government of Canada imposed a ban on the catch of Atlantic cod, as its population has declined sharply, which threatens the complete disappearance of this type of fish.
It is the only member of the cod family found in fresh water. Like most codfish, burbot prefers cool water, so it is most often found in rivers and lakes in America, Asia and Europe.
The most numerous is the population of burbot in Siberian rivers, where it is caught both on an industrial scale and by amateur fishermen. Burbot spawns exclusively in winter, when the reservoir is covered with ice. In the summer, he prefers to hide in rocks, holes or snags. With the onset of autumn, he begins an active lifestyle. Burbot is a nocturnal fish that does not tolerate sunlight. According to many anglers, at night it can be lured by the light coming from the fire.
Burbot grows in length up to 0.6 meters, with a weight of up to 1.5 kg. Despite this, there are specimens up to 1.2 meters in length and weighing up to 20 kilograms. The diet of burbot consists of larvae, crustaceans and small fish.
Southern blue whiting
This member of the cod family is somewhat larger than the blue whiting. It can weigh up to 1 kg and grow up to 0.5 meters in length. Closer to the southern hemisphere, it prefers to be closer to the surface of the water, but the farther from these places it is, the deeper it is found, at depths up to half a kilometer.
It is mined on an industrial scale, making mainly canned food from it, although many housewives boil it, bake it and fry it.
Due to the fact that most of the cod species are distinguished by unsurpassed nutritional qualities, they are caught on a huge industrial scale. Every year about 10 million tons of cod fish are caught and most of them are caught in the Atlantic Ocean. As a rule, the main mass is made up of the following types of cod:
- Atlantic cod.
- Pacific pollock.
Almost all of them lead a bottom lifestyle, therefore they are caught using deep-sea trawls. The meat of these fish is a popular food for its nutritional value. Especially valuable is their liver, which contains a huge amount of nutrients.
Representatives of this family are found in almost all waters of the northern hemisphere of the earth, and only 5 species inhabit the seas of the southern hemisphere. All of them should be attributed to marine life living in salt water and, only burbot prefers fresh waters of the north of Europe, Asia and America.
The highest numbers of cod are found in the eastern parts of the Atlantic, including the Norwegian and Barents Seas. Only cod is found in the Baltic Sea. Representatives of cod can also be found in the Black and Mediterranean Seas.
It is unlikely that representatives of this family will be found in the equatorial zone, but as many as three species of this family live off the coast of South America, South Africa and New Zealand.
This small fish is also called the “big-eyed cod”. The cod lives at depths from 200 meters to almost a kilometer. It is easy to distinguish it from other fish species by its rather large eyes, which practically occupy a third of the head. During its life, the fish is able to grow up to a maximum of 15 centimeters, and mostly there are specimens 9-12 centimeters long. The gadikul is found in the Mediterranean, as well as in the waters of Northern Norway. Sometimes found in oceans at very great depths. There are two types of this amazing fish:
They differ from each other, albeit slightly. Basically, they have a different number of fin rays and vertebrae, which is associated with their habitat.
Codfish are one of the healthiest fish
Description and composition of cod fish: There are more than one hundred species of fish of the Cod family that live in both salt and freshwater bodies of water of the northern hemisphere. Cod fish include such well-known fish as: cod (sea fish) pollock (sea fish) navaga (sea fish) burbot (freshwater fish) haddock (sea fish) hake (sea fish) and other fish
Cod fish meat is considered one of the most dietary. The fat in almost all fish of the Cod family does not exceed 1%, and even in the more fatty species it is no more than 4%. Cod fish contain vitamins A, D, C, E, K, PP, group B, and such useful micro- and macroelements as potassium, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, fluorine, sodium, manganese, copper, iron, iodine, manganese, molybdenum and many others. Due to their excellent composition, dishes from fish of the Cod family are considered extremely beneficial to human health.
Useful properties of cod fish:
Cod. The benefits of cod. Cod is a very tasty and healthy fish. A large number of different dishes are prepared from it, it is boiled, stewed, baked, fried, steamed. Doctors recommend including this fish in the diet for people of all ages, starting from childhood. Do not forget about the very useful liver and cod caviar. The calorie content of cod is about 82 kcal. Cod has the following beneficial properties:
- Cod helps in strengthening teeth and bones.
- Promotes increased immunity.
- Cod helps the body to recover from diseases, gives strength.
- Thanks to its omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, cod is beneficial for lowering cholesterol and combating cardiovascular disease.
- Cod is very useful for the nervous system, combating stress and improving mood.
- Favorable for the work of the respiratory system.
- Doctors advise to use cod for people suffering from arthritis and arthrosis, as it has a beneficial effect on the joints.
- Cod strengthens hair and nails and improves skin condition.
- For overweight people, doctors recommend that you definitely include this fish in the diet.
- Cod improves oxygen supply to the brain and is beneficial for mental performance.
Pollock. The benefits of pollock Pollock is inferior in taste to cod, but it is surprisingly useful fish for human health. Pollock is not very popular at all. For example, in Korea, pollock is considered the most valuable and beloved fish; many delicious and healthy dishes are prepared from it. By adding a variety of seasonings and soy sauce to the nearly tasteless pollock, you can get delicious dishes with great health benefits. Pollock is especially useful for the elderly. Doctors recommend including pollock in a child’s diet from 8 months. The calorie content of pollock is about 72 kcal. Pollock has the following beneficial properties:
- For overweight people, doctors recommend that you definitely include this fish in the diet.
- Pollock helps to strengthen gums, teeth and bones.
- Pollock has antioxidant properties.
- Contributes to the normalization of blood sugar and is recommended for people with diabetes.
- Strengthens the cardiovascular system, lowers cholesterol.
- Pollock is useful for the normal functioning of the digestive tract, is a preventive measure for diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Has a beneficial effect on the thyroid gland.
- Pollock helps to remove excess fluid from the body.
- Good for the human nervous system.
- Pollock has a beneficial effect on the condition of the skin and mucous membranes.
- Has a good effect on the respiratory system.
Navaga. Benefits of navaga Navaga is one of the most delicious fish of the Treskovy family. Fresh fried navaga ice fishing is one of the most favorite dishes of the inhabitants of the Far East. In addition to its excellent taste, this fish has many beneficial properties.
- Navaga helps to strengthen the immune system.
- Normalizes the work of the nervous system.
- Has a beneficial effect on the thyroid gland.
- The polyunsaturated fatty acids found in navage have anti-inflammatory effects.
- Navaga is useful for people suffering from cardiovascular diseases. Navaga lowers cholesterol levels.
- Navaga helps in strengthening bone tissue.
- Favorably affects skin condition.
- Promotes body rejuvenation.
- Navaga is a good helper in the fight against excess weight.
- Experts recommend including navaga in the diet of children.
Recipes for healthy cod fish dishes:. Oven baked Navaga.
You can read about the useful properties of products and possible contraindications to their use on the page “Useful products”