Aquarium 40 liters: how to arrange and what kind of fish you can keep?
The 40 liter aquarium is a milestone in the development of the aquarist. This is the same volume in which you can already try to establish a stable balance for a more or less long time.
For the successful launch and subsequent maintenance of an artificial reservoir with a sustainable ecological system, it is necessary to prepare the appropriate equipment. The standard set of required accessories looks like this:
The equipment is specially sorted alphabetically, since it is not easy to identify the most important components.
The sprayer is placed at the bottom of the aquarium, the soil is laid out at the same time, and the stones are positioned so as to partially mask the tube that brings air to the sprayer. The optimal place for the spray is in the center of the aquarium, although this is not essential. Air supply is necessary to saturate the water with gases, primarily oxygen and carbon dioxide, which ensure the development of microorganisms in water and soil. In addition, the flow of bubbles creates a movement of water in the aquarium, contributing to an even distribution of all hydrochemical indicators.
If the aquarium is supposed to be populated with tropical plants and fish, you will have to consider a heating system.
Heating is not always necessary, you can pick up inhabitants that can completely manage at room temperature, such an aquarium is called cold water. But then the path of tropical exoticism to this reservoir will be closed.
You can get good results by experimenting with LED strips. The combination of cold and warm white shades imitate daylight, and the additional inclusion of a blue-red ribbon in the backlight system will help saturate the spectrum of the plants necessary for red and purple rays.
Before large inhabitants have to appear in the aquarium: fish, snails or crustaceans, the life support system of an artificial reservoir must be supplemented with a filtration system. The filter is usually connected through a special tee to the compressor. The air current, carrying water with it, directs it to the filter elements. They can be different: from a simple foam-rubber filter immersed in the aquarium to a complex external filter, into which water is supplied by an air lift. In this case, it is impossible to completely direct the air from the compressor to the filter. With the help of control valves, it must be divided so that the sprayer continues to function simultaneously with the filter.
The correct selection of equipment will allow not only to launch biochemical processes in an artificial reservoir, but also to maintain them at an optimal level with timely care for many years, even in a 40-liter reservoir.
Modern design of aquariums implies maximum imitation of nature. Plastic and ceramic locks, sculptures, colored soil and artificial plants are a thing of the past, although they also occur, for example, in aquariums with some goldfish.
The disorderly heap of various plants and stones of different shapes and sizes is still unacceptable, the aquarium should please, attract the eye, arouse interest.
All this can be achieved only by carefully considering the interior of the reservoir even before it is filled with water. It is not necessary to completely mask the equipment, because the existence of plants and fish in the aquarium is ensured by the care and skills of the aquarist, and it is still useless to hide it.
One of the design rules remains the zoning of the volume with the help of plants and stones. As a rule, free space is left near the front glass, where the most active and attractive fish will swim. Starting from the middle, the bottom is planted with relatively low, separately growing plants. Long-leaved plants such as Vallisneria will look good along the side walls and around the rear corners.
Abundantly branching bushy plants (elodea, kabomba, hygrophila) are usually located along the back wall. Large plants that require a special soil composition can be placed in small pots, covered with stones, or without masking, closer to the side walls.
The soil layer must also be increased from the front glass to the rear.
Stones can be useful as a material for creating a terrace. This method allows you to distribute the soil without excessive volume replacement, leaving a thin layer where there are no plants and creating a sufficient layer of loose material to form the root system.
If the conditions of a river with a fast current are simulated in the aquarium, which can be achieved by installing a special pump, the plants, in general, may be superfluous, in this case the interior of the aquarium is equipped with stones. In this case, the attention of the observer is completely concentrated on active and mobile fish playing in jets of an artificial current.
It is impossible not to mention another type of artificial reservoir. a garden aquarium. Plants become the main ones in it, they can be selected according to a geographical (from one region) or ecological (similar habitat) principle. Fish in such a reservoir take a subordinate role and are selected for reasons of benefit for plants growing in the garden.
Features of the
An aquarium with a volume of 40 liters can be of various shapes: low, high and narrow, classic, it can be round or even hexagonal.
For a decorative aquarium, a large front wall is important, providing an overview of the entire reservoir. For an aquarium with a volume of 40 liters, the dimensions can be as follows: length 55 cm, then, respectively, the height and width will be 27 cm.
A low aquarium is usually less decorative, but may be more convenient if it needs to be adjusted to fit existing furniture. Low aquariums are often used as spawning ponds.
For a 40 l aquarium, the following sizes are preferable: 24, 24, 72 cm.
Sometimes they resort to a special form of the aquarium, the height of which is much higher than the classical one. For a 40-liter reservoir, the proportions can be as follows: with a width of 20 cm, a height of 70 cm, and a length of about 30 cm.Such reservoirs are called wall reservoirs, they are conveniently placed in specially equipped wall niches, often such aquariums serve as a kind of transparent decorative partitions.
These three types of aquariums are most often purchased ready-made. Nowadays, you can see both hexagonal and prismatic aquariums, even with a curved front wall. They can look very impressive. And the proportions can be determined by the needs of decorating the interior of a room or office.
What fish are suitable?
Not all fish can be kept in a 40 liter aquarium. Of course, you can put almost any aquarium fish there, but growing up, some of them, sooner or later, either begin to experience stress and die, or they will try to oust less efficient neighbors, which is why they, too, will most likely die. And also it should be borne in mind that among aquarium fish there are predators and fish with a heightened territorial instinct, showing aggression towards everyone who invades their territory. In a 40-liter pond, these contradictions can lead to serious disappointments.
When choosing inhabitants for your aquarium, you need to inquire not only about their appearance, but also about their behavior and compatibility with other fish.
Peaceful guppies and neons are definitely suitable for such an aquarium. A flock of up to 16 individuals may be optimal. Larger swordtails and mollies will only feel comfortable in the amount of three pieces. A flock of more than 8 mobile Sumatran barbs or zebrafish may be crowded. And a flock of gourami of 3 fish will already be sufficient. For such a volume, two ancistrus catfish and no more than 4 speckled catfish will be enough.
It will be impossible for goldfish, most cichlids, large catfish to provide comfortable conditions in 40 liters, and fish planted there at a young age, growing up, will die.
You can learn how to care for plants in a 40 liter aquarium so that they do not hurt and please you from the video below.
Aquarium plants for a small aquarium
Any aquarium, even the smallest one, without vegetation will look unnatural and not aesthetically pleasing. And its inhabitants will experience an urgent need for shelter, subject to daily stress. Algae are able to control the level of nitrite, nitrate and ammonia. But the most important thing is a living oxygen factory. Without them, fish will suffocate, stick to the surface of the water and gasp for air.
It is worth giving preference to such plants as:
- lileopsis brazilian;
- azolla caroline;
- Marsilia Blixa;
- dwarf anubias;
- the cretocorina is brilliant;
- limnobium escaping;
- low-flowered micrantemum;
What kind of fish can you keep in a small aquarium?
A small aquarium is usually called a tank, the volume of which does not exceed 20 liters. Naturally, only miniature pets can be accommodated in such a tank. Fish with a length of no more than 6 cm can painlessly exist in it. But even such babies need space. The container should not restrict free movement.
- Neons. up to 4 cm long. Feel free even in a 10 liter aquarium. Peaceful fish.
- Guppies. do not exceed 6 cm.Since they differ greatly from each other in size, shape and color.
- Danio rerio. 4.5 cm. The male is painted in brighter colors and slender than the female. A very unpretentious look, it is often chosen as the first fish by beginners.
- Catfish. a strong, hardy fish.
- Cardinals. up to 4 cm. Have a yellowish-brown color. Undemanding in care, conditions of detention are similar to Danio rerio. Strong enough. However, they do not like sudden changes in temperature, they are very sensitive to water chlorine.
- Small barbs are schooling fish. Peaceful. Can be kept with many other non-aggressive inhabitants of the aquarium. Rarely get sick.
Rule: 1 liter per 1 individual. That is, if you have a 20 liter aquarium, then you can, for example, run 10 neons and 10 guppies. But for a comfortable, painless habitat, it is better to settle 6-8 individuals less. For example, 6 neons and 5 guppies and 2 catfish on the bottom.
What kind of fish and what kind of aquarium plants can be kept in a small aquarium, how to care and what problems can be with a small aquarium
The mesmerizing life behind glass shores is attracting more and more fans to the ranks of aquarists. A beautiful and properly equipped aquarium can decorate any home and bring a lot of positive emotions, become a useful hobby for the whole family.
It has been proven to have a beneficial effect on the human psyche, a calming effect on the nervous system, the ability to relieve stress and normalize blood pressure.
The desire to get fish for a person living in an ordinary city apartment is often opposed by a lack of space. Therefore, the aquarium, especially the first one, is usually small in size. This option is economical and easier to maintain. But then a logical question arises, how to select the fish? After all, not all species can live in such a limited space. And as a rule, you want not one type, but several types of fish. How to choose the right one for each other?
What kind of fish can be kept in a round aquarium, one unpretentious
It is logical to assume that many inhabitants cannot live in a small amount of water. Sometimes you want to watch the monotonous movement of underwater inhabitants. Beginners very often give preference to the round shape of the tank, which is won over by its aesthetic appearance and size. A small round aquarium can accommodate 1 fish. The most common option is the well-known cockerels. An unpretentious fighting fish may well live alone, because it gets along badly with relatives.
Ideal dimensions, not exceeding 6 cm in length, allow you to feel free in a small amount of water. And the beauty of such a fish will not leave anyone indifferent.
Rounded body shape. The pelvic fins are filiform. There are all kinds of color options. They are mesmerizing. You can choose blue, green, red, yellow fish. Everyone can find a suitable option for themselves. The selectively bred veil variety of the cockerel is especially beautiful. Male with larger fins and bright colors. The color becomes even richer when the temperature rises and the emotional state of the fish changes.
To prevent the pet from jumping out of the water, the aquarium must be covered with glass. It is also a great way to keep out dust and excess evaporation.
Aquarium filter for small aquarium
In modern aquarium practice, filters of various modifications are used. This is a necessary component, especially when it comes to a tank with a small volume. The ideal option is a pump with an internal sponge. This version of the filter does an excellent job, and is quite simple to maintain and operate.
An important point. do not wash the sponge under running water. It is better to use drained aquarium water for these purposes. This will preserve the beneficial aquarium microflora and the necessary balance.
Observing moderation when cleaning the aquarium, it will turn out not to condemn your pets to undeserved torments.
How to care for and maintain a small aquarium
There are no significant differences in care. A miniature aquarium requires almost the same steps as a large one. Once a week, you need to change the water, clean the equipment and soil. Don’t change all the water. It is recommended to partially replace the settled water 30% of the volume of the aquarium. In the event of the death of an animal in the aquarium, it is immediately removed from there. Do not forget to remove leftover food leftovers.
Remember to regularly study new information. Knowledge is the best way to care for your aquarium.
What can be the problems with a small aquarium
In aquariums of small volumes, fish grow worse. Their appearance is less beautiful. An important point is that many fish, especially spawning ones, lose their ability to reproduce. The water in small aquariums becomes polluted more quickly, so you will have to carefully monitor the cleanliness and order. The change of water is more noticeable, any changes in the parameters of the environment lead to stress for the fish.
And finally, remember! The size of the aquarium is a decisive factor when choosing its inhabitants. Fish need comfortable living conditions.
Only in this way will they please you. The selection of pets is huge. This will allow you to easily draw up the final list of candidates and create your own underwater mini-paradise. But it takes patience to succeed.
You new aquarium, or do you want to add tenants to the existing fish? First you need to make a primary selection. to determine the fish species that can get along with each other. It is recommended to choose compatible pets according to:
- family / detachment / suborder (preferably the closest “kinship”);
- size (you can make friends with fish of different sizes, but you will have to carefully select according to other parameters);
- conditions of detention (temperature and acidity of water, need for plants, replacement of water, soil, shelters, lighting, etc.).
If future pets match at least one criterion, the probability of success is quite high, and the more such matches, the better.
Mistakes That Kill Your Fish
When combining different fish, consider the main mistakes inexperienced aquarists make:
- Overpopulation. If there is not enough space in the tank, then even the most peaceful pets will fight inside the population.
- Conflicting conditions of detention. For example, bottom fish aquantophthalmus spend a lot of time buried in the ground, so large soil is contraindicated for them. they get injured on it.
- Lack of zoning. Fish can be separated from each other by shelters and plants.
- Improper conditions of detention will also lead to battles and death of fish.
Important: if you want to admire not very compatible fish, plant them in the aquarium with fry at one moment. This will give them the opportunity to get used to each other. Choose 3 types of fish. 2 main and 1 additional, 5-10 individuals each.
9 principles of fish selection
Experienced aquarists give a few simple rules for selection, thanks to which all the inhabitants of the aquarium will get ideal non-conflict neighbors. Moving on to the second stage of selection, you should pay attention to:
- the degree of compatibility (may be absent, partial or complete);
- health status (all fish should be bright, vigorous, with healthy scales and good appetite);
- aggressiveness (even among peaceful breeds, for example, gourami, there are individuals with a bad character);
- character (fast fish get along with fast, sedentary. with the same “lazy”);
- breeding features (there are breeds that very aggressively protect their offspring);
- peculiarities of existence (“harem” pets need 2-3 females for one male or vice versa, and there are fish, “monogamous” or even loners);
- habitat layer (fish may prefer to swim at the bottom, in the middle layer or at the very top of the aquarium, arrange them so that they do not interfere with each other);
- comfortable living conditions (temperature regime, water hardness, etc. must be the same so that all the inhabitants of the aquarium are comfortable);
- size features (large predators must be kept with large fish, for example, neons cannot be attached to guppies, and scalar to neons).
Important: Study the exceptions carefully! For example, guppies and swordtails belong to Peciliaceae, practically the same in size and suitable conditions. However, the breeds are quarrelsome. in an aquarium inhabited by guppies and swordtails, fights often occur. over, the swordtails wins, biting the fins of the smaller guppies. Swordsmen are compatible with cichlid scalars, although they are different in size and belong to different families. Therefore, before choosing fish, it is advisable to look for information on the network by specifying specific breeds, or to consult with experienced specialists.
What kind of fish can be kept in one aquarium
Want bright and unusual aquarium? Its guests will have to be carefully selected not only by color, but also by compatibility. Otherwise, predatory pets will feast on defenseless neighbors. How to correctly calculate compatibility and settle your fish with the right companions?
“Smart” selection of inhabitants of the aquarium
In accordance with the conditions of the aquarium “life”, the fish are divided into the following categories:
- Cold and warm water. If, for example, cold-water neon fish are accommodated with thermophilic discus, all life processes in neons will be much faster. Therefore, their already short life time will be almost halved.
- Soft and hard water. Many soft-water fish are capable of living in harder water than they need, but will not breed. If you are using hard water, consider adding platies, mollies, African cichlids, etc. If you are not afraid of spending, use special preparations, special soil, reverse osmosis installations.
- The need for plants. Do you want the greenery to be thick and beautiful? Do not have catfish, tilapias, African cichlids, goldfish, etc. These breeds uproot and eat algae, stir the soil, damaging the roots.
The decisive criterion will be the size of the aquarium and its guests. A beginner is advised to choose a large aquarium. paradoxically, it is easier to care for, the temperature and water quality are more stable in it, there is plenty of room for fish activity.
Important: it is generally accepted that for an aquarium with fresh water, 1 liter of water should fall on 1 cm of a fish’s body, and for a sea one. from 6 to 9 liters.
By the nature of the diet, aquarium inhabitants are divided into herbivorous and carnivorous. Herbivorous fish can eat animal food (bloodworms, etc.), but their small stomach is not adapted to digest such a treat. Eating inadequate food leads to liver and digestive system diseases. over, representatives of the same family can eat differently, for example, African cichlids (animal-eating) and Tanganyik cichlids (herbivorous). Equally unsuccessful are attempts to combine predators and herbivorous trifles in one aquarium.
Important: even if all the fish in your aquarium are herbivores, it is still better to make sure that the size of small fish is larger than the diameter of the mouth of large.
By the nature of their behavior, fish can be aggressive and peaceful. This is especially evident during mating games and spawning, and then. during the protection of offspring. All cichlid fish and predators show aggression. And, for example, a barb simply cannot calmly swim past a neighbor. it will definitely pinch her by the fin. Therefore, veil fish cannot be planted with them, all the beauty of which lies in the fins. There are also territorial fish that do not allow neighbors to reach their habitats.
Important: snails can also be predatory. it is dangerous to settle them with peaceful fish.
In the aquarium, you need to equip shelters. driftwood, grottoes, caves, fish should be given the opportunity to bury themselves in the ground. This helps in resolving conflicts. the weaker fish can hide in a safe place.
Round aquariums: sizes, selection and design
Despite much criticism from professionals, round aquariums are often found in many homes. Such options can be seen both in offices and in apartments. Surely many aquarists remember their first, not always successful, experiments in creating the underwater world, associated with a round aquarium.
Advantages and disadvantages
What is so attractive about a round aquarium? Here are some reasons for it.
- A pond of this shape, if properly designed and well-groomed, looks appropriate in almost any interior.
- All-glass or acrylic construction is completely leak-free, which allows the aquarium to be installed on any surface.
- The inner space of the reservoir is maximally accessible for observation.
As you can see, all the arguments in favor of an artificial reservoir of this form come from the needs and desires of an apartment dweller or an office owner. There are much more statements by opponents of a round aquarium.
- The volume of standard round aquariums is usually small to form a stable biological system. The aquarium is easily permeable to natural light, therefore, there is an intense overgrowth of algae on the glass, which requires frequent cleaning. Such a body of water requires frequent intensive and careful care, and this is the cause of serious stress for most fish.
- The convex glass surface completely distorts reality, as a result of which the inhabitants of the aquarium are constantly stressed, even with little movement.
- The small volume of the aquarium is suitable for a comfortable habitat of only a small number of fish, which is completely unacceptable for schooling species.
- The shape of the reservoir leaves little water surface area, which makes gas exchange with the atmosphere difficult, and some inhabitants may experience a lack of oxygen.
- Likewise, the surface of the soil at the bottom of the aquarium is small. This does not allow the amount of plants to be diluted in a reservoir sufficient for self-regulation of many processes.
- Special equipment is required to set up a round aquarium. Standard aeration and filtration systems are not suitable due to the fact that they will take up a significant volume of an already small reservoir, and they are also difficult to hide and give the aquarium an aesthetic appearance. It is more difficult to acquire suitable equipment, it costs more than usual.
- In a round aquarium, it is almost impossible to create shelters for fish, from the absence of which many of them experience stress, which affects life expectancy.
As you can see, the arguments against a round aquarium are related to the creation of acceptable conditions for its inhabitants. It follows that such an aquarium is completely unsuitable for a beginner. It is better for a novice aquarist to master a rectangular reservoir with a volume of at least 40 liters. This will avoid many disappointments and even small tragedies. It is better to make a round aquarium just decorative, without any claims to imitate the natural habitat. The main attention should be focused on the aesthetics and harmony of the aquarium as an element of the interior.
Where and how to install?
Setting up a round aquarium is more troublesome than a rectangular aquarium. The latter, as a rule, is installed on a special pedestal or rack, one of the functions of which is some protection of the reservoir from accidental influences. A round aquarium is completely open not only for views, but also for any accidents.
It is necessary to think over the place of installation of the round jar as carefully as possible. It should not be on someone’s path, interfere with simple actions: open the curtain, turn on the light, etc. But at the same time, the container should remain noticeable and attractive to the eyes of any visitor who has entered the room again.
HOW TO SET UP A BETTA BOWL! | are bowls okay for bettas?
One of the problems with round aquariums is their accessibility to children. In this case, it is important to take into account the danger posed by such a container of water for the child. First of all, the sphere must be installed on a special stand to ensure its stability. Curbstones or other furniture on which the container will be installed must be reliable. In some cases, it is advisable to fix them to the wall to avoid tipping over with the aquarium.
In addition, the sphere must be placed away from heating devices, due to the small volume, this can provoke strong temperature jumps, which is undesirable for the inhabitants of the reservoir. The proximity of a window can provoke an increased growth of algae, which will lead to the coating of the walls with a green bloom. When installing a round aquarium, you will have to take into account the intensity of natural light.
The most common are still more voluminous spherical banks. In a container of 10 liters, you can already try to place 2-3 medium-sized fish with relative comfort. If the area of the room allows, then you can fit into the interior and a spherical aquarium of 20 liters. It should be noted that a large round reservoir with a volume of more than 30 liters will require significantly more space than a rectangular aquarium of the same volume. Spheres of this and larger volume are very rarely on sale.
Cylindrical round aquariums of large volumes are also rare. Round aquariums are often sold without a lid. Choosing it, you must not be mistaken with the size. The inside diameter of the lid must match the top outside diameter of the can.
Best Aquarium Fish To Keep in Bowl
Round aquariums are still made of glass as well. The material is traditional, perfectly mastered, however, heavy and fragile. A glass aquarium of 5 liters, with a wall thickness of up to 3 mm, can even weigh up to 1.5 kg without water and soil, and a 30-liter one with walls at least 5 mm thick can “stretch” all 3 kg. And if with water and everything else, then its weight can reach up to 50 kg. It is very difficult to accidentally drop such a massive object. Still, glass remains a very fragile material, and this argument often does not sound in its favor.
Nowadays, when traditional materials are increasingly being replaced by new ones with similar properties, plastic aquariums are replacing glass spheres. A plastic, or rather, acrylic container with the same transparency is much lighter. It is impossible to break it by accident. This aquarium is easier to handle and maintain. However, the new material has its drawbacks.
When cleaning the inner surface from algal fouling, do not use a scraper, as scratches will appear, which will never be on the glass.
How to choose?
When choosing an aquarium-sphere, first of all, it is necessary to take into account its harmony in the interior. Using a variety of color schemes, it can be placed in a room made in almost any style. Lighting, colored stones and artificial plants in your aquarium design will help you align your aquarium with the overall design. So, for historical and ethnic interiors, a spherical aquarium of large volumes, at least 20 liters, with natural soil of coarse sand and pebbles and real plants is more suitable.
Aquariums devoid of fish, but with lush vegetation will look beautiful. Modern styles (loft, minimalism, postmodernism, techno and hi-tech) will require an appropriate design of the sphere. It is better if it is small, with a minimum of decor. In some cases, decorative stones of a certain color are suitable. Plants in such a container may be superfluous.
How to equip?
It is much easier to start an aquarium with ready-made equipment. Such ponds are manufactured by some companies specializing in aquarium equipment. Aquariums are sold with lighting and a waterfall (an original way to combine aeration and filtration systems).
Lighting a round aquarium is one of the design challenges. It is impossible to use an ordinary lamp due to its rather large dimensions, and the use of a table lamp, although convenient, is not always aesthetically pleasing.
As already noted, the decor of a round aquarium is a very responsible matter. Therefore, its equipment must be approached with all care, spheres with inappropriate accessories look rather ridiculous. In such an aquarium, colored soil and artificial plants will not be superfluous, because its main task is to emphasize the style of the room, and for this you often have to sacrifice the comfort of the inhabitants.
There is also such a solution as a sphere in which not only inhabitants are absent, but also water. In this case, colored stones and artificial plants perform decorative functions. Often, an ordinary houseplant is placed in such containers. Of course, such a decorative element of the interior cannot be called a full-fledged aquarium. In the second half of the 20th century, in modern interiors, they began to install round reservoirs with colored stones instead of soil, completely devoid of vegetation, with one fish of bright colors, also performing purely decorative functions.
To choose a good round aquarium, you should pay attention to the products of popular manufacturers:
- The German company Tetra is considered a pioneer in the aquarium industry. Produces many varieties of round aquariums, which are equipped with all the necessary equipment. Popular models with LED-backlights are equipped with all the necessary accessories and are inexpensive.
- Aquael produces elegant round aquariums. Lighting and filter are built into the cover. The fish are fed through an opening with a valve. The cost of the products of the Polish manufacturer depends on the volume and the level of equipment of the aquariums. Quality always matches the price.
Choosing a high-quality aquarium, you can significantly expand the possibilities of its design and create optimal conditions for aquatic life.
In round aquariums, you will need to install the following equipment:
- Compressor. They saturate the water with oxygen. Power depends on the parameters of the tank.
- Heater. It will be needed if the reservoir is in a cold room and thermophilic fish species live in it.
- Backlit lid. Solves the issue of illumination and fish safety. If it is absent, many novice aquarists will place the container closer to the window. It should be noted that direct sunlight is very harmful, as it provokes the rapid development of algae.
- Bottom filter. Such a reservoir is simply necessary. The appearance resembles a pancake. Equipped with a pump on a leg, which is hidden behind the aquarium decor. Power is selected based on the capacity of the container. The larger the volume, the more carefully the filter is selected. It is better to take with a small margin of power so that the equipment works longer.
On a note! When using a bottom filter, sand cannot be used as soil, as it will quickly clog the filtering equipment.
Advantages and disadvantages
Before opting for a round aquarium for the interior of the room, it is recommended to get acquainted with its pros and cons.
- Round tanks are cheaper in price than similar rectangular tanks of the same size.
- The design of spherical home ponds is presented in a large assortment.
- Thanks to their rounded shape, they are compact and take up less space.
- Easier to move from place to place with an easy grip.
- The rounded shape is easier to clean from fish waste.
- In the interior of the room, office they look stylish and elegant.
- In a non-standard model of a home reservoir, you can arrange an original water landscape.
- Round aquariums are very cramped for many types of fish.
- It is impossible to place a complete filtering system. This limits the number of fish species allowed for keeping.
- The flask narrows upward, air exchange is impaired, you will have to change the water more often.
- It is absolutely impossible to keep marine fish species in them, because it is almost impossible to maintain the required indicators of salt water.
- The spherical shape of the walls distorts perception, which negatively affects the fish.
- Plants are much more difficult to place.
However, these shortcomings do not frighten aquarists. They manage to successfully keep aquarium fish in round forms for many years.
Rules for arranging an aquarium
In order to properly equip a tank with rounded walls, you need to know what equipment will help to establish a favorable microclimate in it, which aquatic inhabitants will not be uncomfortable in such conditions.
In Soviet times, round aquariums were more affordable than rectangular ones. When wonderful specimens of home rectangular reservoirs appeared on the free sale, the annoying spherical ones were forgotten. Today, the fashion for round aquariums is back.
How to care
Do not expect plants to clear the soil. They will not cope with such a task. Twice a month it is necessary to change the water, siphon the bottom, clean the walls. A complete water change will not have to be done often, every 1-2 years, so as not to disturb the established biological balance.
Round aquarium: pros and cons, design, choice of plants and fish
Decorative fish give a lot of positive emotions. The process of observing their life is calming, peaceful. A properly selected round aquarium will organically fit into the interior and become a comfortable home for its inhabitants. But for this it is important to know by what rules to populate fish in a spherical reservoir.
The design of a round aquarium has its own specifics due to the fact that the bottom is limited in area.
You must adhere to the following rules:
- The thickness of the soil should be 40-50 mm.
- It is advisable to use decorative stones that will allow you to disguise items of equipment.
- When picking up a pebble, it is necessary to trace how it looks through the spherical walls. The lens effect distorts the outlines of stones.
- It will not work to place large decor items.
We will have to abandon large dilapidated castles and sunken ships, place a minimum of decorative elements. The advantage of decorating a round aquarium is that it is the spherical shape that makes it possible to demonstrate the beauty of the underwater world, revealing its secrets in detail.