What makes bubbles and what to do about it?
The reasons for the appearance of bubbles can be several factors, each of them has its own characteristics and methods of dealing with them.
Too frequent and abundant changes
Too massive changes, which are done more often than once a week, very quickly wash out beneficial bacteria in the aquarium and upset the biological balance.
In such cases, foam on the surface is not uncommon, but there are additional symptoms:
The water becomes cloudy, acquiring a slightly whitish hue, as if milk was added to the water.
- After new substitutions, the turbidity only intensifies.
- The filter does not catch the suspended matter, which forms turbidity. Even the most finely porous materials (synthetic winterizer, micron nozzles) do not bring any result.
- The appearance in water of nitrogenous compounds. ammonia, ammonium, nitrite.
- Do not change or wash the filter under any circumstances.
- Artificially introduce bacterial culture into the aquarium (biostarter).
- Shade the aquarium for 2-3 days, do not turn on the lighting equipment.
- Make the next change no earlier than 7-10 days after the situation returns to normal.
Is there a difference in the appearance of foam in the new and old tank?
The difference in the appearance of foam in the old and new aquarium depends on the nature of its origin.
If the origin is chemical (feed, toxic decorations, drugs, algicides), then there will be no difference.
If the foam is of a biological nature (filter problems, loss of biological balance, bacterial outbreaks), then old aquariums are more resistant to such phenomena, since they have a supply of beneficial bacteria and a completely launched nitrogen cycle.
In them, foam is formed much less often, and in which case it passes much faster. An exception is soil acidification. Only old aquariums are prone to this phenomenon.
The use of decor that is not intended for immersion in water can promise not only the appearance of foam, but also the release of various chemical elements into the water.
These additives are unlikely to please the inhabitants of the aquarium. Due to a chemical reaction, sometimes the decoration gives off gases, which form foam on the surface.
- Remove decoration.
- Make a massive water change, up to 50%.
- Use activated carbon by placing it in an external filter or in a glass of the internal.
Use of chemistry
Foam can also be caused by medicines for fish, expired fertilizers, improperly composed self-mixes, even the usual sidex, if you go too far with the dosage.
This is the case when it is not always possible to get off with “light blood”.
An overdose of chemicals can cause irreparable harm to both fish and plants, not to mention the biological balance.
What to do:
- Make a massive substitution, up to 70-80%. We sacrifice biology, but we wash out the chemistry.
- Add bacterial culture (biostarter).
- Use activated carbon in large quantities.
In addition to aquarium chemicals, household chemicals. detergents, cleaning agents, washing powder that has got into the aquarium can become the reason for the appearance of foam.
Do not assume that this is impossible. Aquarists with young children know this is not uncommon.
Poor quality feed can also cause foam, especially in case of overfeeding.
Remaining uneaten, the food falls on the ground and begins to ferment, emitting a whole set of poisons and gases that form small bubbles on the surface.
This applies not only to dry food, but also to freezing (bloodworms, cyclops, brine shrimp).
The same happens if you do not remove the corpses of the fish, and the rotting processes are abundantly accompanied by the release of ammonia, from which the corpses can become much larger.
Therefore, you need to feed the fish little by little and only with high-quality dry food from reputable brands.
- Make a change and try to siphon off as much uneaten food as possible.
- Apply bacterial cultures.
- Increase aeration.
Before you panic, you need to look at what is happening near the resulting foam. If the aquarist contains labyrinth fish (cockerels, gourami, lallius, macropods), then it is quite possible that this is a natural spawning process.
The male takes in air with his mouth and builds a nest from it, where the female will later spawn.
- If possible, do not disturb future parents.
- Prepare a separate small aquarium.
- After spawning, harvest eggs.
- Take care of the food supply for the fry.
Sometimes the aquarium soil becomes the reason for the appearance of foam.
Stones, especially of the fine fraction, after a long time in the aquarium, are caked, and no more water circulates between them.
The rotting processes that occur in the soil change their nature, and instead of the usual nitrogen cycle, hydrogen sulfide is released.
- In this case, only a full restart will save.
- If you plan to use soil with a layer of more than 5 cm, you should think about a porous substrate. lava, expanded clay, ceramics.
- The thermal cable under the ground is a guarantee that the ground will never sour.
A large number of plants
Without lighting (about 12 hours a day), plants actively produce carbon dioxide, which is involved in the nutrition of green algae and promotes their active reproduction. An aquarium overcrowded with plants often turns green due to an excess of carbon dioxide at night.
- Populate the aquarium with predominantly slow-growing plants.
The water temperature in the aquarium should be between 22-26 ° C. When the temperature exceeds this indicator, the rate of reproduction of green algae increases many times.
- Move reservoir away from heat sources.
- If the aquarium has been illuminated by an incandescent lamp, halogen or metal halide lamp, they must be replaced, as these devices become very hot during operation. Fluorescent or LED light sources are optimal.
- Install a water temperature controller with the ability to adjust this indicator.
- Use other cooling methods: forced aeration, fan, ice, etc.
Poor quality fish food
The aquarium can also turn green from feeding the fish with poor quality food. Poor-quality food in water begins to decompose quickly, which provokes an increase in the colony of microscopic algae.
- Buy quality feed. Usually the best food with all quality certificates is sold in veterinary clinics.
- Feed the fish based on their natural needs. Excess feed settles at the bottom of the tank and on the surface of the plants and begins to decompose with the release of a large amount of nitrogen into the water.
To prevent flowering, the following preventive actions must be observed:
- place the tank away from sunlight and heating appliances;
- install an LED or fluorescent light source suitable for the volume and lighting needs of the inhabitants of the aquarium;
- daylight hours. no more than 12 hours;
- choose a filter suitable for the volume of the tank;
- use quality feed;
- the amount of feed should be such that it is eaten in 4-5 minutes;
- do not overpopulate the aquarium with both fish and plants;
- monitor the cleanliness of the tank, clean and change the water in time.
Filter problems will make the liquid green and cloudy
With weak filtration, suspended contaminants are not completely removed, and their concentration gradually increases. Any pollution is an excellent food for unicellular algae.
- It is necessary to select a filter suitable for the volume of the tank. Optimum filtration rate. from 2 to 4 volumes per hour.
- The filter must be cleaned regularly. Cleaning interval for internal and external devices is 2 weeks.
- Sponges must be replaced with new ones at least once a year.
Irregular or poor cleaning
The smaller the tank, the more often it needs to be cleaned. For example, a 15-liter aquarium needs to be serviced once a week, while a 100-liter tank needs to be cleaned once a month. Cleaning includes cleaning the walls of the container and decor from algal deposits, weeding and pruning of plants, cleaning fish waste from the bottom, cleaning the filter.
How to get rid of it mechanically?
For mechanical cleaning it is necessary:
- Install a powerful filter suitable for the volume of the tank. Clean the filter and sponges regularly.
- Install additional equipment: an ultraviolet sterilizer to regulate the reproduction of microorganisms, a diatom filter for better water purification from suspended microscopic impurities.
Usually mechanical cleaning methods are combined with chemical methods.
The aquarium turns green
What should be done so that the water in the aquarium does not turn green?
Oddly enough, the larger the aquarium, the easier it is to maintain. An aquarium for 150 will look very beautiful. you just need to know what makes the water cloudy:
– overfeeding. fish should eat the food within 3-5 minutes, the excess will have to be caught with a net.
– excess natural light. the aquarium should be near the wall approximately in the middle of the room. and in general the lamp should work for 8-10 hours.
– biological imbalance. when there are a lot of fish, and I’m sorry, they poop a lot.
– the water becomes cloudy a day after the water is refilled and this is normal.
– if the filter fails or you clean it incorrectly. Buy a 200 liter filter. It will need to be washed once a month in the water that you drained when you cleaned the aquarium, and not under running water, and even more so not with soap.
It will be necessary to clean the soil 1 time in 1-2 weeks, while replacing 1/3 of the water, top up with sediment! or processed spec. air conditioner.
In general, of course, experience comes with time. You will succeed!
It is in small aquariums that the water turns green quickly! Buy more snails (they are harmless). fish and a minimum of algae! Let the algae be artificial. Do not add salt in any way. think about what will happen to the inhabitants of the aquarium! By the way, plus everything you need a filter!
Firstly, direct sunlight and, in general, intense natural light must be completely excluded from the lighting. optimal illumination. it is a diffused natural light plus artificial illumination, then a good saturation of water with oxygen. either a compressor or more green algae, or both, then. snails, then cover the bottom of the aquarium with a mixture of RIVER pebbles and sand at least 3 cm thick. Under such conditions, blue-green algae (and they “green the water and the walls of the aquarium) do not develop the water in the aquarium always remains clean and it is possible to achieve an ecological balance in which water can be left unchanged for years, just add as it evaporates. Well, of course, fish should be present in this ecosystem!
it is necessary to create conditions for a similar nature.
for example, they clean snails and felt water.
filter, etc. (replaces groundwater)
if you do everything the same as in mother nature, the water can not be changed at all and it will be clean.
The aquarium turns green (100 liters)
Cloudy water in an aquarium is caused by various reasons, but it is very difficult to combat cloudiness in an aquarium.
Cloudy water can be caused by suspended fine soil particles when you inadvertently poured water into your aquarium. This turbidity is harmless enough and does not cause significant harm to the aquarium inhabitants; after a while, the turbidity should disappear by itself as a result of its settling back to the bottom.
Also, the aquarium becomes cloudy due to the appearance of putrefactive bacteria in it in large numbers, and they are harmful to the fish and plants in the aquarium. Such harmful bacteria appear as a result of improper feeding of fish and an increased density of fish settlement in the aquarium.
You do not have to completely change the water in your aquarium, it is enough to siphon the soil from time to time using a special siphon designed for cleaning the soil in the aquarium. Remove all dirt from the bottom of the aquarium and add 20% fresh water, if possible at the same temperature.
There are a wide variety of products available to remove cloudy water in the aquarium. They make muddy waters crystal clear. They are able to eliminate all types of particles that have formed cloudy water and which cannot be retained by the filter. Bacterial cloudiness, floating algae and tiny parts of algae are deposited in the form of flakes and then removed through a filter. To carry out high-quality filtration of the aquarium water, you should pour coarse washed dark sand with a layer of about 5 cm.
The aquarium also becomes cloudy due to improper feeding. Feeding your fish incorrectly can lead to major troubles. The water in the aquarium from dry food begins to deteriorate very quickly, and the fish do not really like it. Therefore, dry food will have to be abandoned. But if you still decide to feed the fish with dry food, then feed it a little and make sure that all the food is eaten immediately. Aquarium snails will help you eat food leftovers.
If none of the above tips helped you, try not feeding your fish for 2-3 days, this will not cause them any harm, but during this time the bacteria will die. And one more important rule: underfeeding is better than overfeeding.
The water can also become cloudy in an aquarium in which there are too many fish and a small number of aquarium plants, and the water is not purged or filtered. An aquarium with such data is an excellent breeding ground in which unicellular organisms and bacteria multiply en masse. You must transfer the excess fish as quickly as possible to another aquarium.
Another reason for cloudy water. fish that dig in the ground. This kind of haze is harmless and easily eliminated by increasing the top layer of washed soil at the bottom of the aquarium.
If all these conditions are met, the water in the aquarium will always be clean, transparent and healthy.
Veterinary clinic of Dr. Ugryumov, Barnaul.
Why does the water become cloudy in the aquarium? Copying of the article is prohibited.
Buy nitrobacteria. Or a drug that destroys nitrates and phosphates. You can of course buy special uv systems for aquariums. =)
where is your aquarium? if by the window. rearrange.
What lamps are there? if powerful. put less powerful.
are you running the filter correctly? does it work at all? is he good? maybe he can handle?
and how much green does it actually turn? in general, it is recommended to clean the aquarium every week (water change 25% filter cleaning siphon the soil)
there is also a drug (I do not remember the name), try dripping it
you do not turn off the filter accidentally at night?
What makes the glass aquarium green. often?
Chilibin Evgeny Alexandrovich
How to get rid of green plaque in an aquarium?
Hi everyone! On my e-mail I received several letters with questions about the problems associated with the appearance of green plaque in the aquarium. In general, I am writing specific questions that were asked:
“The aquarium is overgrown with green moss. How can it be withdrawn? He is on the ground and on the decoration. help. : 0 ″
“Green and dark green spots appear on the walls of the aquarium. I do not know what to do? is it good for fish and plants? ? “
“There are no plants in the aquarium, only a few fish, and the aquarium is covered with a green bloom, probably the water is blooming. What to do? “
“There is some kind of wonderfully dark green mass growing in my aquarium. maybe it’s algae? ! They lie on the bottom in the form of a layer that can only be collected with a net, and they are now everywhere, both on the glass and on all parts of the filter. The filter constantly has to be cleaned and washed; from the glass of the aquarium, this miracle mass can only be cleaned with a scraper. The fish seem to be doing well, but the plants are dying! ! What am I doing wrong? And how it should be, tell me. How to deal with this? “
And after reading these, I decided to write this post, using my experience as an example, immediately for all those who turned to me for help, and for those to whom my advice may be useful in the future.
Well, first, you need to rinse the soil, clean the walls of the aquarium from plaque (I used a regular clean sponge, which I usually use for washing dishes. Take a new one and use it for cleaning the aquarium). remember to rinse out all the algae. Next, you need to drain no more than 30% of the total water from the aquarium and change it. Then I used Aquastop, with the calculation of 1 drop per 10 liters. water, but only need to pre-dissolve the drug in 3-5 liters. water in a separate vessel, and only then gradually pour it into the aquarium, where the water was purified and changed. You have to be very careful with the drug, because if you pour in more than the instructions say, you can ruin the fish! After a week, you need to make a partial water change again, but not more than 30% of the total. In general, my friends used TetraAqua ALGO-stop fix in such a situation, it will be more expensive, but it also helps a lot. If there is someone who used it in practice, leave your comments, I will be very grateful! ; )
The most important thing I would like to note is. check:
whether direct sunlight is reaching your aquarium?
Is your filter good enough to clean the water in your aquarium??
whether you overfeed your fish, and in connection with which a large amount of food settles on the bottom?
Does the number of watts of a fluorescent light bulb in your backlight correspond to the number of liters of water in your aquarium??
what is the water temperature in your aquarium? Are you overheating the water in the aquarium??
if you are starting a new aquarium, did you keep the water in the aquarium with plants and soil for 2 weeks before starting the fish?
3 WAYS To Rid Yourself Of Green Aquarium Water
If all the conditions are met, all actions are completed and all the answers to the questions have been received, then I think this situation should not happen again. So, at least with my aquarium. Yes, and don’t forget to clean the walls and do cosmetic cleaning of the aquarium weekly.!
Health and well-being for you and your fish!
Such x. nude write that it is a shame to read! People don’t understand aquarium hobby. do not write! Why confuse a person with nonsense, he asks for advice! Too much light in the aquarium DOESN’T HAPPEN! There is an imbalance. There are no living plants, they do not remove biogens from the water, do not create competition for algae, and they multiply on glass. What to do? Plant live plants, preferably fast-growing ones, they can be thrown away from time to time, water changed. Option. put an exterior with bio-purification, too, the water will be like a tear! And keep the aquarium in the dark or twilight ?? ? Why is he then at all? Light needs at least 0.5 watts of fluorescent per liter of water, preferably 2-3 watts. 12 hours a day.
Yes, correctly the glasses turn green from dirt if you do not wash the aquarium for a very long time, then your fish will die. You, too, would not have been able to live so long in the mud. It’s like dirt, so if it starts to turn green, then you need to clean the aquarium, and if even fish are not visible there, then it should not just be cleaned, but simply cleaned so that it already shines, then everything will be fine and the fish will not die. Clean the aquarium and change the water as often as possible! And the water must be changed in order for the fish to feel good too. Prevent fish from swimming in dirty water and dirty aquarium!
Why does the water turn green in an aquarium and how to deal with it?
Self-purification of water in natural aquatic ecosystems occurs due to physicochemical and biological processes with the participation of aquatic organisms: living organisms and plants. The condition of the aquarium water depends on the organization of the system (service mode, power and type of filter, the presence of live plants, snags, the number of fish and food). Water can change color under the influence of various factors. So, the low oxygen in it, consumed for the oxidation of organic matter, leads to an increase in the concentration of decomposition products. The water becomes cloudy, acquires the smell of hydrogen sulfide. But it is not uncommon for it to turn green. So why does the water turn green in the aquarium??
The reason for its cloudiness is the massive multiplication of bacteria, and the water usually turns green from the green microscopic euglena algae that have multiplied in the aquarium. Euglena is normally always present in the aquarium, but when it multiplies, water begins to “bloom”, which can turn yellow-green, green. This is more common in aquariums with excessive brightness of the light source. Often, lovers of ornamental fish, purchasing aquariums for the home, place them in the most convenient and “cost-effective” place. near the windows. Direct intense sunlight promotes the active reproduction of green algae in the water, which cover the glass of the aquarium, decorations, and plants. Strong artificial lighting also promotes euglena breeding. It can also be added to the aquarium with live fish food from natural reservoirs.
The first steps taken by novice aquarists. it is a complete replacement of water, cleaning of plants, decorations. Such events, logical at first glance, only exacerbate the situation, causing bewilderment and the question of why the water in the aquarium turns green, despite all efforts.
Changing the water does not improve the situation. It is necessary to eliminate the causes of its “blooming”. turn off the light for a few days, shade the aquarium located near the window. After that, the situation will be corrected by regular water changes and soil cleaning, since light and nutrients only stimulate the growth of green algae. It is necessary to constantly monitor the cleanliness of the aquarium.
You should know that the process of self-purification of water will accelerate when adding to the aquarium “old” water (1/3 of the total volume), previously stored, rich in humic acid and a set of microorganisms that help restore a healthy environment. You should know that it is harvested from a safe aquarium, not overpopulated with fish, with well-growing plants.
In order not to wonder why the water in the aquarium turns green, you can put daphnia into it. In this case, it is better to plant the fish so that they do not destroy the crustaceans.
Special diatom filters and UV sterilizers help to eliminate water bloom.
In order to no longer wonder why the water in the aquarium turns green, you need to achieve the necessary biological balance for your aquarium inhabitants. To support it, you need to adjust the lighting: use curtains, screens, change the power of the lamps. Remember that it is important where the aquariums are installed. Fish will feel great with proper lighting, proper feeding, aeration and filtration.
It is useful to acquire new inhabitants of the underwater world that eat algae. These are pteregoplichta, ancitruses that remove plaque from glass, mollies, Siamese algae eaters, Japanese shrimps, ampullary snails.
And if the light is not enough?
In the first two described cases, the circumstance explaining why greenery appears on the walls of the aquarium is excessive lighting: in the first, directly, in the second, indirectly, stimulating the decay of underwater debris. And it’s not difficult to deal with such a problem.
However, plaque on the walls of the aquarium can be caused by the so-called diatoms, which prefer the lack of light. For many “fish breeders” they appear in winter, if there is no additional supplementary lighting, and with an increase in daylight hours they disappear by themselves. Such algae are unpleasant because they stick to surfaces almost tightly. If you can still peel them off the glass, albeit with the risk of scratching, then there is no way from the plants.
The first thing that comes to mind
The most common reason greenery appears on the walls of an aquarium is too much light. It may be too bright or too long. Direct rays of our Sun also negatively affect the state of water. Light favors the active reproduction of the simplest (unicellular) algae, which first “green” the liquid medium, and then begin to grow on the inner surfaces of the aquarium.
Dealing with this is very simple. Shade the fish house. If the greens on the walls of the aquarium have not yet completely tightened them, the reproduction process will at least stop. Snails and daphnia can destroy the attack. The latter must be put into the “pool” in such quantity that the fish do not have time to eat them. And if you want to diversify the population of the aquarium, buy catfish. they do an excellent job with thickets on the walls.
Some aquarists believe that partial water changes. naturally with filtration. give good results when landscaping. This is not true. On the contrary, such actions will lead to an even greater proliferation of the green colony.
Why does the water turn green in an aquarium??
- excessive water pollution due to untimely care;
- improper lighting of the aquarium (excess sunlight);
- excessive feeding of fish (excess food settles at the bottom, and then rots).
Daily maintenance of your aquarium includes:
- checking the equipment for stability of work;
- removing excess feed from the surface and bottom;
- cleansing of algae if found.
If the water is dirty, it is recommended to install a mechanical filter. It is not recommended to disturb the calmness of the fish unnecessarily.
With a frequency of once a week, you need to change the water, and not completely, but only a third.
If the water turns green or cloudy in the aquarium and an unpleasant odor appears, which, despite the efforts made, does not go away, you should clean the tank with a temporary eviction of the fish.
The water in the aquarium turns green: what to do
To combat algae, you can use the tools at hand. For example, dilute 3 mg of streptomycin powder in 1 liter of water and introduce this mixture through a filter. This composition is safe for fish and plants, but at the same time detrimental to algae.
Greenery on the walls and in the water of the aquarium: how it threatens
Green water is a very unfavorable environment for fish. Algae, when breeding, can clog the gills of small aquarium dwellers. In addition, algae absorb oxygen, reducing its level to a critical level at night. As a result, the fish may suffocate.
You need to know that you cannot put fish that have just been taken out of a clean aquarium or reservoir into green water.
If you put them in a “blooming” tank, they can die. Filling the aquarium with “newbies” can only be done after cleaning.
You can find a variety of tools on the market for cleaning your aquarium from contamination. Be sure to purchase an aquarium net, which is used to move small fish from a dirty aquarium to a clean container. It is also useful to purchase a ground cleaner, the choice of which depends on the volume of the aquarium (from 50 to 400 liters).
A scraper with a removable blade is often used to tackle the pollution of a home pond. It is a very convenient and cheap glass cleaner. There are also scraper brushes in which a retractable handle is installed.
A siphon is used to clean the soil in the tank, which sucks out dirt and sludge from the bottom.
This device can be mechanical or electrical.
Why does the water turn green in an aquarium?
Many aquarium owners have faced a problem when the water in it begins to turn green over time. This is most often caused by the multiplication of unicellular algae. Small fish can live in green water for some time, but over time, such conditions can become destructive for them. In addition, the swamp color significantly spoils the aesthetic appearance of the mini-reservoir.
Professional maintenance of aquariums from Aqua-Store
Aqua-Store specialists provide aquarium maintenance services. We offer inexpensive and high-quality cleaning of marine and freshwater aquariums, waterfalls, fountains and even country ponds!
There is no need to worry about the health of the fish and the integrity of the aquarium if the specialists of the Aqua-Store company work. Rich experience of work and careful execution of all actions allow the craftsmen to clean the tank quickly and efficiently. Periodic visit of specialists is possible to carry out preventive work.
There are times when the wintering of the inhabitants of a suburban pond for some reason is impossible. The company will shelter the fish for a certain period, and also carry out maintenance of the aquarium. Overexposure is carried out under the supervision of professional staff.
Why does the water in an aquarium turn green and how to deal with it?
Blooming water is typical not only for home aquariums, but also for natural reservoirs, which acquire a greenish tint, as a rule, by the end of the summer season. The reason for such changes is the active reproduction of green microalgae, which felt favorable conditions for themselves. These conditions include an excess of sunlight, due to which the temperature of the water rises and the lack of fresh flow, leading to stagnation of water.
An indoor aquarium is the same reservoir, only with conditions artificially created and regulated by man. And the water in the aquarium turns green for the same reasons as in the natural environment. In the vicinity of the “official” inhabitants that inhabit the aquarium: fish, ornamental algae and snails, unicellular microorganisms invisible to the human eye are in charge, affecting the state of the water.
The main causes of water bloom
The main reason why the water in an aquarium turns green is due to excessive lighting. This can be facilitated by too bright lighting, or the location of the aquarium in direct sunlight.
Euglena green, which got its name because of the chloroplasts contained in its composition, is the main culprit in the “bloom” of water. In conditions of excessive illumination, which contributes to the heating of water, this microorganism feels especially comfortable, which leads to its active reproduction. In addition to euglena, green filamentous algae, rotifers, ciliates and other plankton quickly begin to populate the aquarium.
Organic compounds contained in aquarium water also favorably support the active life of single-celled creatures. As a result, the water in the aquarium becomes cloudy and acquires a greenish color, decorative attributes and glass is covered with a green film, and, armed with a microscope, you can see the water column teeming with blue-green microorganisms.
What to do if the water in the aquarium is blooming?
Blooming water in an aquarium not only spoils its appearance, but also harms its inhabitants. In addition to reducing the concentration of oxygen in the water, plankton contamination causes clogging of the gills in fish. How to deal with this? First of all, you must adhere to a number of simple rules.
- Protect the tank of the aquarium from strong exposure to light. It is necessary to adjust the brightness of the electric backlight and the lighting mode. The aquarium should be located at a distance of at least one and a half meters from direct sunlight. Winter lighting should last no more than 10, and in summer 12 hours a day.
- Darken the aquarium for a while. For “blooming” water, which quickly turns green, a few “dark” hours are enough for excess microalgae to decay.
- Populate the aquarium with organisms that eat harmful algae. These include snails, shrimps, catfish and daphnia. At the same time, daphnia are also food for aquarium fish at the same time. Therefore, in order for the water to be saturated with these living “filters”, it is necessary to launch daphnia into the aquarium, in a volume several times exceeding the norm of one feeding.
- Change the water completely and check the aquarium equipment. Filters for water purification help maintain the necessary hygiene in the tank.
- Regulate the amount of food consumed by the fish, as uneaten food settles into the ground and deteriorates, disrupting the biochemical environment in the aquarium.
- Add special substances to the aquarium water that destroy the simplest algae. Among them, streptomycin powder is isolated, which is diluted in a small amount of boiled water and introduced into the aquarium through aeration.
Why does aquarium water stink?
Another problem for aquarium fish breeders is the unpleasant odor from the water. Many factors can contribute to this:
- Stagnation and deterioration of water.
- Poor quality feed.
- Overpopulation of the aquarium by aquatic inhabitants.
- Lack of oxygen.
Therefore, it is necessary to change the water in the aquarium in a timely manner, clean the soil from food residues and dead plants, observe the proportions of the size of the container and the number of fish. Also, in the fight against unpleasant odor, a special compressor with the function of air circulation can provide invaluable help.
What to do if your aquarium water turns green
Knowing the reasons for the greening of the water in the aquarium, it is easy to eliminate their manifestation.
The following actions will be most effective:
- Reducing the light intensity of the aquarium and the lighting time
- Removing dirt from the aquarium
Deprive the aquarium of light for several days, up to pasting the glass of the aquarium with black paper.
Do not worry. Fish and plants tolerate darkness well.
Important. Do not turn off the aquarium filter and air supply.
Green algae cannot stand the absence of light. Darkness will lead to the mass death of the simplest algae, and the water in the aquarium will begin to clear and become transparent.
After dealing with green algae, stick to a normal daylight hours of 8-10 hours. Longer aquarium lighting can cause reverse greening.
Clean the aquarium by siphoning soil and removing dead plant leaves.
There is no need to fanatically scrub the soil. It is enough to remove obvious accumulations of dirt.
Do not forget to turn on the air supply, as this is the only oxygen source for plants and fish in the absence of aquarium lighting.
This will not help deal with green water, but it can add new problems due to the disruption of the nitrogen cycle.
Bicillin with water bloom
A proven old-fashioned way is the addition of Bicillin-5 at the rate of 10-20 thousand units per liter of aquarium volume.
The method is effective, but it is more convenient to use specialized aquarium chemistry of the same Tetra.
Why does the water in an aquarium turn green and how to deal with it
You suddenly find that the water in your aquarium is turning green quickly?
There is nothing wrong with the blooming of water for fish and plants, except for the loss of a beautiful appearance by the aquarium.
This is a rapid reproduction of primitive unicellular green algae.
While multiplying, algae cover a thin layer of aquarium glass, plants, stones and decorations.
Why green algae began to multiply rapidly?
Because you have created the conditions for their rapid and rapid reproduction.
The question arises, what to do and how to get rid of green water in the aquarium.
Why did the water in the aquarium turn green?
- Direct sunlight and excess lighting
- Excess rotting feed and organic matter
Fortunately, the causes of blooming in the aquarium can be easily and quickly eliminated.
Direct sunlight on the aquarium causes green algae to proliferate.
In addition to sunlight, strong artificial lighting encourages the growth of green algae, which leads to a quick greening of the aquarium.
Another reason for the rapid greening of the water in the aquarium is the excess of rotting organic matter at the bottom of the aquarium.
Organics that decay and rot at the bottom of the aquarium serve as source of large amounts of nutrients, which contributes to a sharp outbreak of green algae.
By rotting organic matter, I mean uneaten remains of aquarium food, dead fish and dead plant leaves.
Remedies for green water in the aquarium
When greening the aquarium, an ultraviolet sterilizer, built-in between the filter and the aquarium, helps.
Water passes under an ultraviolet lamp, whose light is harmful to the simplest algae, including green.
You need to understand that an ultraviolet sterilizer helps to cope with greening the aquarium, but does not help to eliminate the causes of greening.
Dilute streptomycin powder at 3 mg per liter of tank volume.
For plants and fish, streptomycin powder is absolutely harmless, but destructive for the simplest algae.
Within a few days, the water in the aquarium will clear.
All the means to combat green water in the aquarium have a significant drawback.
You will eliminate the effect in the form of a green aquarium, but not the cause of its greening.
It is imperative to maintain and clean the aquarium in a timely manner, maintain normal daylight hours and avoid overfeeding.
Of course, the aquarium should not be near the window, in direct sunlight.
This is enough to read about a green aquarium on the Internet, and not observe it with your own eyes.
Prevention and recommendations
There are simple preventive measures to prevent possible water bloom.
The aquarium filter will work more efficiently if you put activated carbon (in granules) in it. In the process of getting rid of green water, the filter itself is cleaned 1-2 times a week.
It is interesting! Another proven remedy is powdered (crushed) streptomycin, diluted in water. 3 ml of solution is enough for a liter of aquarium water. This dosage does not affect the fish, but it fights well against the growth of unicellular algae.
It will not hurt to get a coagulant “Hyacinth”, created for the purification of drinking water, but extremely useful in the aquarium hobby. On the manufacturer’s website, it costs 55 hryvnia, which corresponds to 117 Russian rubles. The drug has been tested in action. It turned out that its active formula is able to neutralize both organic and inorganic harmful impurities.
Introduce enough live daphnia into the aquarium so that the fish cannot eat them right away. These planktonic crustaceans can easily cope with the surplus of unicellular algae that have bred in the “fish house”. Settle “lodgers” in it, whose main food is considered to be algae: fish (catfish, mollies, platies) and snails.
Find pemphigus and hornwort (aquarium), which, due to their accelerated growth, absorb excess nitrogen accumulated in water (a flowering catalyst). So, the hornwort can stretch 1.5 meters in a week. First remove the humus from the bottom, replace 1/2 of the water and only then place the plants in the aquarium.
What to do if the water turns green
There are many ways to restore eye-friendly transparency to the water, including using natural cleaners.
Why does the water in the aquarium turn green?
There are people who do not notice the excessive greening of the aquarium water for months. But the sane part of domestic fish lovers prefers to find the roots of this phenomenon and eliminate them.
What to do with the inhabitants of the aquarium
Please note that a deterioration in the biobalance of the aquatic environment is bad for the health of all aquarium guests.
Water treatment manipulations should be accompanied by parallel activities:
- if the fish are healthy, move them temporarily to other containers with a similar water composition;
- place the plants in temporary containers, stirring methylene blue in water (dosage according to the instructions);
- if necessary, replace the old soil with a new one (previously treated for parasites);
- Pour out the old water by filling the aquarium with water with the addition of baking soda (1-2 tsp) and leaving for a day;
- scald / boil all artificial decorations, including grottoes, driftwood and seashells.
If the fight against greening is not radical and the fish remain in the aquarium, only a third of the water is usually changed to fresh.
The main reasons: why the water in the aquarium turns green
There can be many reasons for greening, and they are usually due to the inexperience of the aquarist.
The name of these unicellular algae speaks for itself and is well known to people who have been breeding ornamental fish for a long time. Euglena forms the thinnest film on the water surface and is an important link in the food chain.
In poor light, the green body of euglena becomes discolored: the algae turns pale or completely loses color. Mass reproduction, leading to increased water bloom, occurs when:
- intense lighting;
- overabundance of organic components in water;
- malfunction of the aquarium filters.
Euglena bloom can be very stormy: yesterday the water was absolutely transparent, and today it has acquired a dull green hue.
Tips from experienced aquarists on why aquarium water blooms and how to deal with it
Many newcomers to the aquarium business are faced with such problems as the blooming of water and the coating of algal bloom on decor, glass and vegetation.
Not fully understanding what is the reason for this phenomenon, they sometimes take logical, but not productive measures. replacing water, cleaning the scenery, and so on. And this only aggravates the situation.
Therefore, it is worth understanding all the important nuances of this aspect. We will tell you about the reasons for the blooming of water in the aquarium and how to eliminate the trouble in the article.
How to prevent re-blooming?
In order to no longer face the problem of water blooming in the aquarium, certain preventive measures are taken:
- They systematically resort to mechanical glass cleaning. The main thing is not to scratch them, and therefore it is better to use not hard sponges.
- Once every 2 weeks, water is replaced by 1/5 of the volume. Previously, it is defended for a day.
- Monitor the level of illumination. The aquarium is placed at a distance from the window. 1.5-2 meters. In winter, the duration of artificial illumination should not exceed 10 hours, in summer. 12.
- Representatives that feed on microalgae (for example, daphnia) are added to the aquarium. Also, plants are planted that can absorb nitrates (tubular elodea).
- They do not feed the fish. they give as much food as they are able to eat at a time. Then the leftovers will not rot at the bottom and pollute the water.
- Periodically add special chemicals to the aquatic environment as a prophylaxis.
- Do not overpopulate the aquarium. Overcrowding of fish, as well as a lot of vegetation, negatively affects the general microclimate.
- The decor (taken from natural reservoirs), planned to be placed in the aquarium, is pre-disinfected. Otherwise, the risk of infection increases.
What is the reason for flowering, what can it lead to?
Any aquarist has at least once encountered water bloom in a tank with fish.
Initially, the aqueous medium becomes slightly cloudy, and after a while it turns green. This process develops spontaneously.
Where does it come from? And the reason for this is phototrophic microorganisms (in particular. euglena and chlorella), which receive nutrition as a result of photosynthesis.
Such organisms are constantly present in the water of the aquarium, but are invisible when the environment is safe. But when conditions arise that provoke their activation, they begin to multiply intensively. The result is a greenish haze.
They become lethargic and stop eating. As a result, they are at risk of being affected by bacterial diseases. Along with this, vegetation begins to die.
Pills and other remedies to get rid of the problem
- TetraAqua AlgoStop depot is a dissolving tablet formulation. It protects the fresh aquatic environment from the development of all kinds of algae. Safe for fish and plants. Price from. 440 rubles.
- Tetra Algizit is a tablet formulation for algae control in aquariums. Does not have a destructive effect on other vegetation and living world. Ten tablets are enough to disinfect 200 liters. Manufacturer. Germany. Price. from 300 rubles.
- Dajana Algicid is an effective Czech remedy for blooming water, available in 100 ml bottles. One package is designed to handle a volume of 500 liters. The optimal dosage is 5:25.
- JBL Algol is a product from a German manufacturer to inhibit algae growth. It is sold in liquid form. the package contains 100 ml. It does not contain copper, therefore it is harmless to the living inhabitants of the aquarium. The effect of the drug is manifested not immediately after application, and after a few days. One bottle is enough for 400 liters of water.
- Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Algaefix is an effective treatment indicated for removing algal deposits from the interior of aquariums. Also used to purify water. Does not harm fish and vegetation. Consumption. 1 ml for 40 liters of aquarium water. One bottle is enough to process 1400 liter volume. Price from. 350 rubles.
- Aquastop is a domestic remedy capable of destroying blue-green and other algae. Does not harm fish and plants. Its action is based on the ability to lower the pH of the water, thereby creating an unfavorable environment for the reproduction of phytoplankton. 100 ml is enough to process the 200th aquarium with water. Price from. 40 rubles.
When flowering is just beginning, it is recommended to resort to the following means:
- streptomycin. taken at the rate of 3 mg per liter of water;
- hyacinth. added to the aquarium in a ratio of 1:10;
- erythromycin. an antibiotic applied at the rate of 250 mg per 100 liters.
Factors that provoke the violent growth of green algae:
Contaminated soil. Dirt accumulating at the bottom over time creates a pathogenic environment for putrefactive formations and acidity increases in the water.
How to Fix Green Water in an Aquarium (Easiest and Cheapest Method)
Local inhabitants can no longer cope with cleaning on their own, and the water becomes cloudy.
Therefore, it is impossible to place a tank with fish near the window, and it is also unacceptable to install high-power lamps. It should be located no closer than 2 meters to the light source, and the recommended spectrum of artificial illumination is 22 lm per liter of water volume.
To solve the problem, you need to move the tank away from the heat source or remove unsuitable artificial lighting lamps (halogen, incandescent lamps) with fluorescent or LED. You can use a fan for cooling.
In return, they synthesize carbon dioxide, which fuels green algae and stimulates their growth. To eliminate the problem, weeding is done and mainly plants with slow growth are planted.
What to do: ways to fix the situation
How to get rid of blooming water correctly? There are 3 key ways to counter blooming water:
- removal of decaying organic matter and fish waste;
- setting artificial lighting;
- placement of the tank at an acceptable distance from the window.
Treatment of the aquatic environment occurs in the following sequence:
- Cleans the soil from pathogenic inclusions using siphonization.
- Cover the aquarium with opaque paper, turn off the backlight and leave it in this state for a week.
- The filtering device is not disconnected. over, they increase its power. At this time, it is the only source of oxygen for fish. You can add peat crumbs to it to acidify the water.
- Fish are fed once a day in small portions.
Effectively equip the filtering device with an ultraviolet sterilizer. Under its influence, pathogenic microorganisms die.