Parvovirus is the smallest virus that infects vertebrates.
Resistant to environmental influences, withstands low temperatures, adapts well to high temperatures. Only boiling kills the virus. All types of dogs are at risk of disease, regardless of breed.
The main outbreak occurs in spring, continues in summer and autumn, and decreases in winter. Young individuals who have not reached the age of one year are more susceptible due to poorly developed immunity. But older dogs also run the risk of becoming infected when the immune system is already significantly weakened.
Younger dogs are more susceptible to the disease.
Pets who have been ill and sick at the moment are spreading the disease.
There is no medical remedy for the problem. Intussusception is removed only with surgery.
After the operation, the doctor prescribes anti-inflammatory drugs.
If there is necrosis of intestinal tissue, the doctor performs a bowel resection. In the postoperative period, the doctor will prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs, antibiotics, drugs that support the general condition of the patient.
A severe course begins with absolute apathy.
- A mild degree is characterized by slight apathy, decreased appetite, diarrhea, vomiting is less common.
- The average degree is manifested in refusal of food, diarrhea, constant vomiting, soreness of the abdomen.
- A severe course begins with absolute apathy, the animal does not respond to external stimuli, constantly lies, does not eat, does not drink.
- Increased salivation is observed, body temperature rises, fever begins. The pet is constantly nauseous, frequent progressive vomiting.
- The diarrhea then progresses and becomes debilitating, leading to severe dehydration.
- For small puppies, pathology can end in death.
Clinical signs and causes of liver failure
As for the causes of the onset of this disease, there are quite a few of them. The influence is exerted by toxins, parasitic infection, viruses. Feeding spoiled foods, eating disorders, poisoning.
Progressive diarrhea may alternate with constipation.
- The first sign is the strong oppression of the animal.
- The dog refuses food, even treats.
- Constantly lies, does not respond to the owner, does not respond and does not make contact.
- In some cases, there is increased thirst, but this symptom occurs only at the onset of the disease, then the dog stops drinking and water.
- The development of intoxication provokes vomiting.
- The skin turns yellow, becomes dry, like parchment, the coat grows dull, takes on a sloppy look.
- Diarrhea progresses, which may alternate with constipation.
- Feces take on a light color, sometimes almost white.
- The urine becomes a deep orange color.
- It should be noted that the appearance and difference of symptoms will depend on the provoking factor.
- If there is a parasitic infection, then the skin and mucous membranes quickly turn yellow.
- With toxic damage, yellowness may be completely absent.
- Despite the cause, ascites will always be present. dropsy of the abdominal cavity.
- In a severe case, symptoms of nervous pathology occur. seizures, paralysis or paresis of the limbs, convulsions.
Only a veterinarian can make an accurate diagnosis and find out the cause of the symptoms. Diagnosis is carried out in a hospital setting. The doctor makes a biochemical blood test, liver tissue biopsy. Feces and urine are examined.
Intestinal obstruction is a serious pathology in which the pet dies if timely assistance is not provided.
Blockage can occur from eating brittle bones.
- blockage of the intestine by foreign bodies;
- vascular embolism.
Blockage can occur due to eating fragile bones or swallowing foreign objects. pieces of wire, pebbles, a piece of polyethylene. This type is called ileus. In babies, clogging of worms with crowded tangles is possible.
Infringement may occur due to volvulus of the stomach or infringement of a hernia.
A significant amount of air or fat can accumulate in the cavity of the vessels, as a result of which there is a blockage of blood vessels and obstruction.
How to Get A Dog With No Appetite to Eat (A Simple Solution)
Why doesn‘t the dog eat or drink water??
Dog may refuse food due to stress.
The reasons why a dog refuses food and water can be quite explainable in terms of psychological factors:
- poor feed quality;
- spoiled food;
- stale water;
- dishes are not suitable;
- changing the place of dishes;
- advanced age of the animal;
- seasons, such as winter;
- constant consumption of only liquid food;
- moving to a new place.
However, the listed reasons should be taken into account when there are no additional symptoms, for example, nausea and vomiting, pronounced fatigue, dull hair and a general unkempt appearance, symptoms of colds or pain.
General preventive measures
As you know, the best treatment is good prevention. In order to avoid unpleasant surprises, you should be extremely attentive to your pets.
It is necessary to carefully monitor the quality of feed.
- A timely medical examination is a guarantee of good health and well-being of your pet.
- The quality of the feed must be carefully monitored. do not take risks and do not experiment with new brands from unknown manufacturers.
- Always carefully study the composition and possible vitamin and mineral supplements.
- If you want to supplement the diet with nutrients, consult your doctor.
- Systematic deworming is also important. It is necessary to periodically deal with the treatment of the dog from fleas, carefully examine the skin for ticks.
- Eliminate access to household chemicals. poisons, paints and varnishes.
- Dishes and habitat of the dog should be systematically sanitized and disinfected.
- In addition, arranging a place for an animal to live, you should exclude the possibility of drafts and dampness. also the possibility of overheating from direct sunlight.
Appetite is different
Selective appetite reflects the real picture of needs only in an infant, at 8-9 months he intuitively feels that he needs calcium and refuses to eat soup. Not because the soup is tasteless, but because milk is healthier. At the age of 1, 2 years, children for the same reason prefer dairy products.
If a one-year-old child fundamentally does not eat meat, this does not mean that at 3-4 years old he will not begin to eat it with pleasure. It’s just that vegetables and fruits, cottage cheese and milk are more important for a 12-month-old baby. And he understands this on an intuitive level.
Closer to 3 years, the problem of selective appetite, according to Komarovsky, is far-fetched. if a child does not eat vegetable puree and only requires chocolate and sausage, this is a common pedagogical mistake of mom and dad, and you should not look for any medical reasons for such behavior.
Very often, parents try to treat a non-existent disease. If no serious acute pathologies and infections are found in a child, it can be difficult for parents to admit that the child does not eat because he is not raised that way. And the testing begins, and diagnoses are sure to be found, which “as it were,” and their treatment. a waste of time and money.
Komarovsky advises to stop dragging the child to clinics and laboratories, leave him alone and simply change the daily routine and lifestyle. introduce longer walks, cool baths, go in for sports.
Many parents force their child to eat.
Evgeny Komarovsky also refers to these actions as his favorite cunning tricks: “Look, the spoon flew and flew”, “Eat, otherwise we won’t go to the park!”, “I’ll tell dad everything!”. A cornered baby will eat under pressure, but without appetite. This means that less gastric juice will be secreted, the liver will cope with its part of the work more slowly, and digestion will be more difficult. The benefits of force feeding are less than the harm.
It is also wrong to give food not for age. If a child does not eat in slices a year, requiring mashed food, this may be completely justified. If he has only 2 teeth in his mouth, then there is simply nothing to chew on the pieces. However, mothers, who have read that the pieces will surely stimulate the rest of the teeth to grow faster, immediately sound the alarm: they say, the appetite has disappeared. Komarovsky calls for a realistic assessment of the capabilities of your child. Nobody asks to wipe his food until 5-7 years old, but making it digestible, at least until 6-8 teeth come out, is quite within the power of any parents.
Dr. Komarovsky’s advice on what to do if your child has a poor appetite
A child’s good appetite is source of endless joy for parents. There is nothing more enjoyable than seeing a child gobble up a cooked lunch, dinner or breakfast with pleasure. But more often it is the other way around. Mom and grandmother tried to cook, and not just like that, but exactly what the little one loves. And the kid stubbornly refuses food and is capricious.
In some families, every meal turns into a real battle between the unwilling person and his persistent parents. The child is persuaded, they try to deceive with various maneuvers and tricks, they insist and threaten that he will not receive the candy if he does not eat the soup. Is it necessary to try so hard and what to do if the child has a bad appetite, says the famous pediatrician Yevgeny Komarovsky.
Why doesn‘t the child eat?
If the toddler refuses to eat, he, according to Komarovsky, may have two reasons: he cannot or does not want to eat.
It cannot. this means that the appetite is present, but it is physically difficult to eat. For example, mom’s milk is tasteless (the woman ate something wrong), the hole in the nipple is too small, and the porridge does not suck, etc. In infants, quite often during sucking, the intestines begin to work actively, at the wrong time its peristalsis is activated. The tummy twists, the baby hurts, he stops eating and cries.
Quite often, the root of a child’s appetite problem lies in the mouth. Stomatitis, sore gums during teething, micro trauma to the gums (scratches from toys that have been in the mouth, or nails). all this makes the process of absorbing food rather unpleasant.
Sometimes there is no appetite during colds or SARS. If the nose does not breathe, then during sucking, access to oxygen is blocked, which is uncomfortable, and the child stops eating. If your throat hurts and it is unpleasant to swallow, you will almost always refuse to eat.
Sometimes the child does not like the food offered itself. it is hot or too cold, salty or unsalted, coarse or mashed.
It all depends on the personal preferences of each particular child. If moms and dads managed to understand that the child wants to eat, but cannot, then it is best to consult a doctor to find and remove the obstacle that prevents the baby from eating normally.
If a child does not eat well or does not eat at all because eating gives him unpleasant sensations, then he simply does not want to eat. However, you should not immediately accuse him of hooliganism and insist that the porridge be eaten. The reluctance to eat also has its reasons:
- Disease. Even if the parents have not yet noticed that the baby is getting sick, he himself, as a rule, begins to feel negative changes in his body in advance. In this case, a child who does not eat anything simply “turns on” the defense mechanism. on an empty stomach it is easier for the immune system to fight the causative agent of the disease. You should not force feed the baby, he does everything right, as his natural instincts tell him. But this is only true for acute infections. If a child has a long-term chronic illness, lack of appetite is a bad symptom, but this is rare.
The child’s body easily gets used to new conditions for itself, and therefore, with a protracted illness, the baby begins to eat, as usual, and with some ailments, for example, with diabetes, there is even an increased appetite. Komarovsky gives certain recommendations on how to feed a sick child: in no way, until he asks. And mother should not be at all ashamed that she does not feed a sick child. This is the best that she can do now for his speedy recovery.
- Refusal to eat “by conviction”. This happens to teenage children, especially girls. If she suddenly decides that she has become “fat”, and it is necessary to “urgently do something about it,” offer the child lighter and healthier foods (salads, boiled meat, fruits, milk). If the girl refuses to eat even this, then starvation becomes pathological and is quite comparable to a symptom of mental illness, which leads to anorexia and the slow death or disability of the girl. In this situation, feeding by force is also not an option, says Komarovsky, since the real cause of the hunger strike must be eliminated. A psychiatrist and adolescent psychologist or psychotherapist will help with this.
- Refusal to eat for no reason. There are also children who, without any illnesses, eat little or practically do not want to eat. They, according to Komarovsky, still have their own reasons not to want to eat, such as the individual characteristics of metabolism. Indeed, in one child, digestion is faster, nutrients are absorbed and assimilated faster, while in others the process is slower. Therefore, such a “slow” child refuses cooked lunch, because he still has breakfast in the process of processing.
Appetite depends on hormone levels.
If a child grows faster (his mom and dad are tall), that is, he will be larger and more often than his peer, who genetically “does not shine” with high growth.
The level of energy consumption also affects the presence of appetite. If a child runs and jumps in the fresh air, then it will get hungry faster than if it sits in front of the TV and watches cartoons.
To restore the child’s appetite, it is enough to simply adjust the energy consumption. to walk more, to enroll the child in the sports section. After all, the whole family should go for evening walks before dinner. it will definitely give a positive result.
If the child has given up soup for lunch, do not rush to him to cook something else. Scolding is also not worth it. Let it “whet” your appetite. The only thing that can defeat the selective appetite. this feeling of hunger. When it becomes real, strong, the poured soup will cause a lot of enthusiasm and will be quickly eaten without any persuasion. The main thing. at the next meal, offer the child the same soup, and not another dish.
A child with a lack of appetite should not have any snacks between meals: no apples, no oranges, no sweets.
Such “easy prey” should not be within his reach. This rule must be observed by all family members, it will be especially difficult for grandparents, but we must hold on.
You should not impose your meal schedule on your baby. breakfast, lunch and dinner may not coincide with his schedule. Try not to offer him food at all even for a day. At the same time, walk, play in the air, but do not say a word about food. The child will ask for food himself, and will eat whatever you offer him with excellent appetite.
You will learn more about what to do if the child does not want to eat in the following video.
medical reviewer, psychosomatics specialist, mother of 4 children
As proud as cats are, they are very sensitive. It would seem, well, what is it about moving or changing surroundings? But such little things can affect the psychological state of the animal. The animal needs a couple of days to adapt to the changed conditions. If possible, eliminate all possible sources of stress, provide the baby with peace. Keep the water fresh and some food in his field of vision, but away from people. Perhaps the kitten needs a calm environment and privacy.
Reasons why the kitten does not eat food
Let’s figure out why the kitten doesn‘t eat anything? What made the baby starve?
Some types of parasites, on the contrary, awaken a brutal appetite in the baby. But still, in most cases, a tiny organism is not able to fight worms. All the strength of the immune system is spent exclusively on the fight. Therefore, they do not remain at all for food consumption. Modern veterinary medications can be given to tiny kittens. Some anthelmintics can be given only once, but it is usually recommended to repeat the procedure after 10-14 days.
This is due to the fact that during this time those parasites that were not affected by the first dose reach another stage of development. And now on it they become sensitive to the active substance of the anthelmintic. Be sure to carry out 2 procedures for expelling parasites, even if you did not find any worms in the feces or vomit of the kitten. Perhaps in his body there is just the larval stage, which is covered with a dense membrane that does not allow the drug to kill the helminth.
Cats are very clean (with rare exceptions), so the very fact that the place of their feeding looks untidy or dirty is unpleasant for them. The animal will endure to the last, but will not touch even the most beloved food if the bowl is poorly washed or there is a lot of garbage around the feeding.
What to do if the kitten doesn‘t eat anything?
Sometimes a little kitten doesn‘t eat anything, what should the owner do in this case? In some cases, the reason lies in a stressful situation. For example, the baby was just taken away from the mother. Or he has moved to a new home. For many animals, this is a huge shock when the familiar atmosphere changes. But sometimes it’s all about the presence of helminths, inflammation or infection.
A small kitten does not eat due to the fact that an infection has raged in its body. Think of yourself during the flu at least. Do you eat a lot? And a baby, especially if he is too early or has just been torn away from his mother, can have a huge number of life-threatening diseases. Any infection clings to his fragile body. Immunity is not yet so strongly developed. That is why it is so important to carry out preventive vaccinations on time for age. This can save the purr from a bunch of problems.
Strong smell from food or bowl
Some bowls made of polymers, especially in the early days of their use, have a strong unpleasant odor. cats have a keen sense of smell. And such a “bright” chemical smell will repel the pet from food. In addition, food can smell like plastic and have an unpleasant aftertaste. But even if the bowl (in your opinion) no longer smells, the detergents you use to clean the cat bowl may have a pungent odor. do not forget that they also have a fairly diverse chemical composition. However, it is best not to use chemicals when washing the dishes for feeding the animal. If you want to kill the infection, then just pour boiling water over the bowl (if the manufacturer and the material of the dishes allow this).
What to do if your dog is not eating
The concern of loving hosts is easy to understand. The dog has no appetite. is it sick? In this case, the owners should be careful: if the dog, before always cheerful and cheerful, does not look like itself, it is sluggish, it looks sickly, has a constantly hot nose and it has already missed several feedings, then this is already a serious reason for going to the doctor.
But, if a dog or puppy does not want to eat for only half a day or a day, and at the same time is cheerful and full of energy, then there is no cause for concern. First of all, you need to remember that food for the dog should be good and of high quality, such as the owners themselves would eat.
If the dog refuses to eat, then, in most cases, nothing terrible happens. First of all, you do not need to give every bite from your hand and not persuade, but just skip one feeding.
For example, put prepared and reheated food in the place of feeding, to which the dog is accustomed. She can go to the bowl and eat a little, or she can only smell and leave. Give the pet ten minutes and if he does not want to eat, then remove the food until the next feeding. And there is no need to increase the portion, even if the dog has not eaten all day. Just give the same amount as usual.
At the next feed, give the dog the same food that he didn’t eat the last time. In this case, no indulgences should be made. There is no need to persuade her to eat and offer more delicious food. For example, if a dog ate only half of the food that was offered in the morning, then in the evening offer him the same amount of food.
The next day, too, you need to put her as much food as she ate the previous time. Although, if it is noticeable that the dog is hungry (licks the bowl), then you need to pour it more food.
When she eats, then in ten minutes remove the food, and next time give what she did not finish. This technique works flawlessly. As a result, the dog has an excellent appetite.
Do not think that in this way you are giving the animal torment. A person also does not always want to eat, especially when he is hot. And if he misses, for example, lunch, then an appetite will surely appear for dinner.
There are several other ways to increase your dog’s appetite. It happens that the animal does not want to eat due to lack of physical activity. Therefore, a good method is movement: a good walk, active games, running next to the bike. It is important not to overdo it and increase the load gradually. Moderate physical activity has a positive effect on the appetite and health of not only the dog, but also the owner. This is the most natural, effective and healthy way.
Another way is to introduce fish into the dog’s diet. If earlier there was no fish in the animal’s diet, then you can cook food with seafood. You can throw a few sprat fish into the finished porridge or give it 10 minutes before feeding.
A dog’s poor appetite may be due to a bored diet. Therefore, you can replace the cereal, which is usually used for porridge, with another. If earlier it was rice, then instead of it you can put buckwheat, or even better. mix several types of cereals. Cook porridge not only with meat, but also with fish, etc. If you change the diet of the animal during the week, then the pet’s appetite will surely awaken.
If the above methods do not help, then you can use another one. So that the dog can see. give the bowl with its food to another dog or cat. When she sees what is being done with her ration, she will probably want to eat everything herself. This is a fail-safe way. dogs don’t like to share their food with others. Just don’t use this method very often. Also, you should not allow the animal to show aggression, it is better to sit the dog next to you, and if it tries to rush to the “villain” eating its food, give the command “fu”.
Reasons for refusing food
I will list the points that should not cause concern for the dog breeder. Here are some factors that can cause your pet to refuse food:
- In hot weather, a decrease in appetite is observed in almost all animals. But they start drinking a lot of water. Therefore, during this period, make sure that your pet always has a bowl of water.
- Hormonal changes can also lead to refusal to eat. For example, during heat, many bitches refuse to eat at all. As for the male, smelling a bitch in heat, he can generally lose his appetite for several days.
- Puppies may refuse to eat when changing teeth.
- Another reason a dog has a poor appetite is constant access to food. If the food is freely available all the time, and the pet comes up to eat it whenever it pleases, the feeding regime is disrupted and appetite decreases.
- There are situations when the pet refuses to eat, and the owner, out of pity, offers him some tasty treat. The watchdog immediately builds a logical chain in his head: if I refuse my portion, the owner will immediately give me goodies.
- Or, if between meals a four-legged one receives a tasty treat in the form of a tasty tripe, or beef trachea, then this sly man may refuse another portion of food, in the hope that he will get something tastier. By the way, my mischievous Jackie does just that.
- On a walk, your pet may gorge on grass or bits of bark from the stick you throw at him. Therefore, various bubbling processes can take place in his stomach. Usually, on the next walk, it all comes out naturally, and after that the meal comes to normal.
- And finally, the animal’s body may simply need the so-called “fasting” days.
What to do if your dog doesn‘t eat well
Does your dog eat poorly? I think you are not the only one who faced such a situation. This is very frustrating for many and makes them look for a solution immediately. But do not rush and immediately take any prompt action. Don’t rush to the vet right there. You must first observe the animal.
If nothing has changed in your pet’s behavior, and he continues to gallop and rejoice, then often refusal to eat is not a cause for concern. This behavior can be caused by many factors. Let’s take a look at some of them.
How to Get Your Puppy to Eat | Puppy Care
Do not do this
Here’s what to avoid if your dog misses a feed:
- often than not, your pet will eat well the next feed, making up for the missed meal. But you shouldn’t increase the portion thinking like this: he didn’t eat in the morning, but now I will put more for him. You don’t need to do this.
- You should not begin to feel sorry for the dog, change its food, and also feed it from your hand, or worse, try to give it something tastier. With this you will only spoil the four-legged and get yourself extra problems.
- Usually dogs are taught to eat two meals a day. If the sand refuses to eat in the morning, wait 10-15 minutes and remove the bowl of food (if you are on natural food. in the refrigerator). In the evening, take out the same serving, warm to room temperature and give to the dog. Between feedings, do not give anything to your pet, no matter how mournfully he looks at you. Sometimes a little fasting only benefits the body. Believe me, in the evening your furry friend will just pounce and grind everything that you put in a bowl.
- If the dog refuses food, some owners leave a bowl of food for the whole day. In such cases, the four-legged eats up a little from the bowl throughout the day. The animal gets used to this regime, and this leads to impaired appetite. In no case should this be done. The diet must be observed. This way you can control the health and well-being of your pet.
What should be alarming
Sometimes a lack of appetite can be associated with serious health problems for your shaggy friend:
- If he looks tired, the dog is weak, constantly hot nose, the baby refuses to eat for the second day, then you should definitely contact the veterinary clinic.
- There can be a lot of reasons for a dog’s refusal to eat: from the appearance of worms in the animal’s body, allergies or ear infections, to stomach diseases (gastritis, pancreatitis, and so on) or oncological tumors. In this case, only the doctor will be able to make the correct diagnosis and prescribe treatment.
- If your pet doesn’t eat, but drinks less (or more) than usual, this is also a cause for concern.
- Poisoning with poison or chemicals.
- Diseases caused by insect bites.
- Poor or stale food.
- Often the dog refuses to eat, as its body simply does not accept this type of food. In Jack’s case, it was a rejection of dry food, as a result of which we switched him to natural food (which we are incredibly happy about).
- Disease or damage to the oral cavity, dental problems can also lead to a lack of appetite. Be sure to look into your pet’s mouth. A piece of a stick or a splinter of bone may be stuck in your teeth.
- If the watchdog “feasted” on the wrong bones, then not only the appetite may disappear, but a host of other problems may arise. Every four-legged owner must know which bones can be fed to a dog, and which are strictly prohibited.
How to improve your dog’s appetite
Try these ways to improve your four-legged friend’s appetite:
- Most often, the dog eats poorly due to low physical activity and insufficient walking time. Walk with the tailed beast for longer, play with it, take walks in an active and varied manner. Not only does it increase appetite, but it also contributes to the health of your four-legged.
- Make sure your dog is properly fed. Especially if you have it on a natural diet. Do not forget, in addition to the main course, to include fish, eggs, dairy products, vegetables and fruits in the diet.
- If a dog does not eat well, but is active and mobile enough, its nose is wet and cold, then there is no apparent reason for concern. In this case, refusing to eat is normal. It happens that we all do not feel like eating, and we refuse breakfast, lunch or dinner. Also, our four-legged ones themselves know when to eat and when to starve.
- You should never force the tailed beast to eat if it does not want to.
- Well, if the doggie is sluggish enough, refuses to play, walk, does not allow himself to be touched, symptoms that are not characteristic of normal behavior appear, then it is worth sounding the alarm.
Pathological causes of loss of appetite
Stress can be the reason for refusing to eat your dog. For example, she recently suffered a move or was scared by something (thunderstorm, loud noise). In this case, the pet needs to be given more attention, at the moment it needs affection.
We need to give the animal time to deal with stress. Skip feeding, maybe not one, but two. The next day, you need to add food and observe whether the situation has changed.
If, after skipping a feed the next day, the dog’s appetite is okay, then there is no cause for concern. Perhaps the dog just arranged a relief for his body. After all, people also have moments when they do not want to eat for no apparent reason.
If the dog is not eating anything, it can indicate health problems ranging from minor to the most serious. Pathological reasons for refusing to eat:
- Disease of the stomach. As a rule, in addition to refusing to eat in such cases, the animal begins to vomit. If this symptom does not go away for three or more days, this is a reason to contact your veterinarian.
- The presence of worms. Parasites interfere with the normal functioning of the digestive tract. The animal has apathy and lethargy.
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system. In addition to loss of appetite, symptoms such as nausea, dry cough (coughing) are observed. You will need a qualified specialist.
- Toothache. The pet refuses to eat because it hurts to chew. You can hardly do without visiting a veterinary clinic.
- A distended belly in a dog that is eating nothing may indicate volvulus.
- Infectious diseases. The sick animal does not want to eat. over, even ear disease can discourage a dog’s appetite.
– I do not want.
If the dog is lethargic and lies all the time, you need to observe it and find out if there are other symptoms. For instance:
- hard breath;
- decreased or complete lack of activity, the dog lies mainly on its side;
- the animal hunches its back;
- snaps at the touch of the owners;
- sleeps for a long time.
A dog that does not eat, but only drinks, could get sick with something more serious. Such diseases include diabetes mellitus, Cushing’s syndrome, inflammation of the uterus, Addison’s disease. It is almost impossible to independently determine what exactly the dog is sick with without tests. There is no need to risk the health (and, possibly, life) of the animal, you need to go to the veterinary clinic for examination.
Changes in the stool and urine of the animal will also indicate a serious illness. Blood impurities are not normal. If the dog does not eat, only drinks water and is sluggish at the same time, this can signal kidney problems.
What to do when your dog refuses to eat?
Reasons why a puppy doesn‘t eat can be commonplace.
- If he was just weaned from his mother and brought to a new home, he may not eat due to melancholy.
- He is used to a certain diet and does not want (or is afraid) to eat something new.
- He doesn‘t like food.
- The bowl smells of other animals.
When a puppy refuses to eat, the first step is to identify the cause. If he has just been brought home, it is necessary to ensure that he has a quiet stay during the first few days. Let him get used to the owners and to the new place. Do not bring it to your home when there are a lot of guests.
It is imperative to find out from the previous owners what kind of food the puppy is used to. Even if you think it is wrong, at first let him eat what he is used to. It will be necessary to transfer to a new diet later and this should be done gradually.
If it is not possible to feed with what he was fed earlier, you need to choose the food that the puppy will like to taste. The main task at this stage is to regain appetite and not lose immunity.
What else to do if your puppy is not eating well? Introduce vitamins and supplements into the diet. They will help strengthen your pet’s immunity and improve digestion when switching to a new diet. Prebiotic drinks for dogs often come to the rescue here. With their help, you can solve two problems at once. to strengthen the immune system and improve appetite.
If an adult pet loses its appetite, the best option is to visit a veterinarian.
What to do if your dog is not eating well or at all?
The caring owner always sees if something is wrong with the pet. Food in a dog’s bowl can mean one thing. the dog didn’t eat it.
If this is a one-time shot and the dog does not feel discomfort, then there is no cause for concern. If this is observed for several days, then it is worth identifying the cause. Next, we will figure out what to do if the dog does not eat.
When it’s ok
If the dog (or puppy) is not eating, but there is no change in normal behavior, then don’t worry. It is not necessary to force, persuade, try to feed from the hand. Skipping a feed is not dangerous for your dog. It is normal to live half a day or even a day without food for an animal.
German shepherd puppies
Possible reasons why the animal has no appetite:
- During heat, the bitches may not want to eat at all or eat less than usual. This is normal. A veterinarian is needed if the cycle is over, but the dog’s appetite has not appeared.
- Males during their sexual heat become irritable and often refuse to eat at such moments.
- A feature of large breed puppies is the jumps in food needs. Their strong feeling of hunger is replaced by complete indifference to food.
- During teething, puppies may refuse to eat. You can offer him soft food, you can give him something cool to relieve pain.
- A dog may have poor appetite in hot weather. She needs more water in the summer.
- Recently transferred anesthesia can discourage an animal’s appetite for a couple of days.
- The introduction of new mineral supplements or vitamins in the diet can provoke a decrease in appetite.
- Dogs that have unloved foods may refuse food if they smell it. This often happens to capricious individuals.
- The animal wants variety. That is, they give him the same food for a long time, and he is simply tired of him. Try to vary your food. Give your pet fish or vegetables.
- If the dog is fed with something in between feedings, then it may refuse to eat due to the fact that it is already full. This often happens when the animal gets something from the master’s table. For the same reason, the dog may decide that its food is not tasty enough and will wait for it to get something from the table.
- Inactive lifestyle. If you walk a little with the dog, it does not waste energy, then there may be no appetite. Increase the duration and / or frequency of walking and watch for changes.
- Serving size incorrectly calculated. Perhaps the dog is being given more food than it needs, and it does not have time to get hungry until the next feed. Give her half of her usual serving.
If the dog eats poorly, but at the same time is active, then nothing bothers him. The animal may lose the desire to eat for a short period of time, but this is quite normal.
What not to do?
If your dog refuses to eat today but eats tomorrow as if nothing had happened, do not give him an increased portion. Sometimes the owners feel that the missed feeding should be compensated. No, don’t. Give the usual portion as usual.
If the dog has refused food once, but there are no other symptoms, do not pamper him. Often, after the first refusal, the owners begin to give other food or harmful snacks from their hands. So the dog will understand that the owner can be manipulated. Thus, by solving one problem, the owners acquire another. This pampering will come out sideways for them and the dog will not benefit.
If the animal refuses to eat in the morning, wait about half an hour and put the food in a cold place. You can’t leave a bowl of food all day. Do not give her snacks until the evening feed. Until the evening, only water. Do not feed her any other food or from your table. In the evening, just warm up and give a morning serving.
Leaving the food left the dog can eat a little throughout the day and will get used to it literally the first time. This provokes a violation of appetite. You can not break the regime because of one or two refusals to eat.
If it is hot outside and the dog drinks, but eats little (or does not eat at all), do not take him for a walk. Let her sit out the heat in a cool place.
A wet and cold nose and activity of the dog indicate its normal condition. If the dog refuses to eat, but its condition has not changed, then everything is fine with the animal. Always watch for changes in behavior and condition. If the animal is sick, then it is unlikely that this will not attract the attention of a caring owner.