Why isn’t the dog eating food? Reasons and what to do in this situation
There are many reasons why a dog refuses to eat. It is imperative to understand what is causing this in order to cope with this situation.
The first thing to do is understand how you rate the fact that the dog has become poorly eaten? If you are worried that your dog is eating less than the food manufacturer’s recommended amount, then it is quite possible that everything is fine, because this recommended daily amount of food consumed is an average value. Many dogs that eat 60. 70% of the recommended amount are completely healthy. Often the reason for refusing food in dogs is a sign of illness.
If your dog ate well before, but now refuses to eat, you need to contact a veterinary clinic!
Despite the fact that many dogs can go without food for 2 days without any serious health problems, we strongly recommend that you do not postpone the visit to the veterinary clinic.
What to do if your dog is not eating?
To decide what to do, the veterinarian must first establish the cause.
If the reason for the loss of appetite is illness, the doctor may prescribe a veterinary diet. Dogs sometimes dislike these diets, especially if they are periodically fed treats or from the table. If the dog is already sick, never try to force-feed the dog. Discuss the situation with your veterinarian, he may prescribe drugs to stimulate appetite in dogs, intravenous feeding, or use a special feeding tube.
Reasons Why Your Dog Doesn’t Eat Food
Like humans, dogs can have different reasons for refusing to eat, which may include the following:
- Disease. Decreased appetite in dogs is a common sign of illness, especially if the dog has other symptoms along with the refusal to eat. Loss of appetite in dogs by itself does not always indicate a serious illness, but it is necessary to show the animal to a veterinarian, as it can hide a serious illness, such as cancer, an infectious disease, liver or kidney disease.
- Diseases of the teeth. The dog may not eat because something in the dog’s mouth is causing pain. Check your dog for broken or missing teeth, inflammation of the gums, swelling in the mouth, or a foreign object.
- Recent vaccinations. Although vaccinations have saved millions of dogs’ lives over the past 100 years, side effects are possible after vaccination. One is temporary loss of appetite in dogs.
- Transportation or unfriendly surroundings. If the dog had a good appetite before the trip, then after being transported in an unfamiliar environment or due to unfamiliar sounds, the dog’s appetite may disappear due to stress.
- Finicky behavior or behavior change. Some dogs are picky and simply do not want to eat because of some discomfort, for example, when another dog or a bowl is at an uncomfortable height.
Since the reason that a dog refuses to eat is often a sign of illness, it cannot be assumed that the dog simply does not want to eat at the moment, and then eat when he is hungry. First you need to exclude all other reasons for refusing food.
If the dog refuses to eat due to mood problems, discomfort, stress, then there are several options for solving this problem
- Top dressing with treats
- Feeding dogs strictly on schedule, usually 2 times a day
- Walking the dog before feeding
- Change the environment in which the dog eats. If you usually feed with other animals, try feeding your dog alone. Try changing the bowl and placing it at different heights from the floor to understand what the dog likes best and how it is more comfortable for him to eat.
- Try changing feed brand or form (wet / dry)
If your dog is not eating, you can contact the Constellation Veterinary Center. We work around the clock. We have all the equipment you need to diagnose the causes of canine anorexia. Professional veterinary therapists work.
Is the dog healthy?
Does he have diarrhea or constipation, nausea or vomiting, lethargy and depression? Check for mites, skin irritation, or the fur is beginning to fall out intensively. Look into his eyes, look into his ears. Be sure to check for sores on your gums or tongue. Is there an unpleasant smell from the mouth? If, in the absence of appetite, at least one of the above troubles comes to light, take him to the veterinary clinic. it is possible that your pet is sick with something.
If no suspicious reasons are found, the dog is active, in a good mood, does not refuse his favorite treat, then he is healthy, and this is great.
Finding out the reasons
Before finding out for what reasons the dog stopped eating ready-made food, it is necessary to understand whether the lack of appetite is connected with the onset of the disease. Take a closer look at the general condition and observe the behavior of the pet.
Why a dog doesn‘t eat dry food and what to do about it
Experienced dog breeders will confirm that dogs, like humans, have their own desires, their own opinions, and their own preferences in everything, including food. Something your pet likes, but something does not, today he eats such food, and tomorrow categorically refuses. Therefore, you should not be surprised if yesterday your dog was happy to grump dry food, and today he dreams of a marrow. But don’t be led by the dog. We all know that an unbalanced diet can be harmful to health. If it happens that today the dog does not eat dry food, let’s think about how to make it.
What to do to make your dog start eating dry food again
If you have no intention of switching your dog to natural food, strict measures should be taken. Do not forget that the leader in the house is you, your word should be the law. There is no need to raise your voice and punish the animal, you should not do this, just stick to your chosen policy and be persistent.
Stop following your pet if it begs. His plaintive eyes do not indicate that he is hungry. If the dog is hungry, he will go to his bowl and eat.
If your pet is already very spoiled, you can help him as follows: add some natural food to dry food, daily reducing and eliminating the amount of additive. At the same time, an important condition that all family members must adhere to is not to give a piece from the table. If this is difficult for you, close the beggar in another room while you eat yourself. And don’t worry, he won’t hold a grudge against you.
If this doesn‘t work, try keeping your dog on a fast food diet for one or two days. Leave only a bowl of water. Don’t think of yourself as angry and cruel. Give your pet increased attention during this period, devote more time to it, play with it.
This method cannot be used for puppies, for pregnant and lactating dogs, for old dogs. It is not necessary to do this even if the animal has chronic diseases.
Try adding some water to your dry food. The reason for the rejection of dry food may be that microcracks have appeared in the enamel of the teeth, or the gums are slightly inflamed. Solid food can be painful or uncomfortable.
Some dogs can be easily persuaded. Put the bowl down and don’t leave right away. Talk to your pet in a calm voice with encouraging intonation. No matter how strange it may seem, it happens that the dog listens and begins to eat.
What has changed in the life of a dog
Why did she refuse dry food? Abrupt changes in diet or lifestyle can provoke refusal:
- Change from one type of dry food to another. Refusal to eat when switching from a cheap feed to a more expensive one is due to the fact that flavor enhancers and flavorings are added to the economy class feed. The smell of expensive quality food is not so pronounced. For this very reason, the dog does not eat new food. it smells differently. If the food is introduced into the diet of a class lower than the previous one, then the dog may not like it, because it does not contain meat, but contains a lot of soy or bone meal. Humans cannot determine the composition of food by smell, but dogs feel it very subtly;
- Taste preferences can change if the pet is periodically treated with natural food from the table;
- Appetite decreases if the dog has become a sedentary lifestyle. The body uses less energy and requires less nutrition to restore it;
- If too much food is poured into the bowl, the dog cannot eat the entire serving. The remaining food is consumed during the day and the dog is not hungry for the next meal;
- If the water in the bowl is stale, or not at all, the pet is thirsty. When an animal is thirsty, it has no appetite;
- In summer, in hot weather, the dog’s appetite decreases.
It happens that a beloved pet arranges a fasting day for itself. If at the same time he is cheerful and cheerful, do not worry. Later he will eat whatever is given to him.
And it happens that the dog stopped eating ready-made dry food, because he realized that you can be manipulated, and knows that he will always get something tasty.
How to prevent food refusal
When choosing the right food, be sure to consider the individual characteristics of your pet.
Many manufacturers have a wide range of feeds. He shares:
- by class: economy, premium, super premium. These feeds have different quality, and, accordingly, the price is different;
- calorie content: for sedentary and active dogs;
- for dogs of different breeds, different food is also offered. What’s good for a Doberman is bad for a york.
If your dog stops eating one food, try another. It is impossible to move abruptly from one to the other. Mix, increasing the amount of new food gradually.
When feeding solid food, be sure to leave a large bowl of water in the access area. It must be fresh, change the water twice a day.
After a walk, the dog’s appetite increases. Walking is necessary not only for the pet to go to the toilet. He needs to run and jump a lot so that there are no stagnant processes in the body and all organs function normally. This is especially true of large dogs, which have nowhere to even turn around in the apartment.
Don’t give him too much food. If food remains in the bowl after 10-15 minutes, it should be removed. Next time, consider this and give a little less.
Be persistent and firm in raising your pet. If the rejection of dry food is repeated periodically, then think. maybe it is worth switching to natural food?
Why the dog doesn‘t eat dry food?
Often a dog that has been eating natural food since childhood, for some reason, the owner wants to transfer to dry food. This is mainly due to the need to improve the health of the pet.
And in such a situation, it is not uncommon for an animal to refuse to eat dry food. Although it happens that the dog has already eaten such food and suddenly began to refuse. Why this happens and how to accustom an animal to dry food?
Why the dog doesn‘t want to eat dry food?
If the pet is just getting acquainted with the food, his refusal is explained by the fact that this is an unusual food. And even if it smells attractive, the dog’s digestive system is not ready for the unusual type of food. The animal simply will not accept the abrupt transition to dry food and will experience food stress.
If the dog ate dry food and suddenly stopped, here we can assume several options: either she does not like the new food (or maybe it is not fresh), or the dog has problems with the gastrointestinal tract or in general with health. If the food has not changed, then it is better not to experiment with food, but to contact your veterinarian. Especially if the dog is aged, is losing weight before our eyes, or vice versa, has greatly gained weight.
What to do if your dog refuses dry food?
- You can not suddenly transfer the dog from natural food to dry. It is dangerous for her health.
- It is necessary for a week (or maybe more) to add a little dry food to a bowl with the usual food.
- First, 1/7 of the prescribed rate, then 2/7, and so on until there is one dry food in the bowl. So the digestive system of the dog smoothly adapts to the type of food that is still unusual for it.
If a puppy with not yet strong teeth is transferred to dry food, it is better to soak dry granules with kefir or natural yogurt. When transferring a dog to dry food, it is not easy for every owner to realize that instead of two liters of porridge, now the pet only needs 400 grams of granules, and many begin to pour a full bowl. And when the animal cannot cope with such volumes of food, they begin to complain that the dog does not eat dry food well.
You should change the bowl to a small one and add food strictly in the proportions indicated on the package. By the way, when buying feed, you always need to check its expiration date and not buy feed by weight, since it may be expired and not of high quality. Veterinarians advise not to mix natural food with dry food in your daily diet. This option is only suitable for the transition period.
If dry granules are constantly added to the porridge “for taste”, this will quickly lead to such obesity for the dog that it will be difficult to cure. Also, if you have already transferred the dog to dry food, you cannot give it “tidbits” or arrange a “festive table” from natural food. At best, it will lead to an upset stomach.
It is very important to monitor the behavior and well-being of animals when they lose interest in food. This sign may indicate the development of a viral infection, poisoning, intestinal obstruction and other diseases. Pathological conditions are usually accompanied by additional symptoms. In this case, the dog must be shown to a specialist as soon as possible.
Heat and other external factors
In summer, in the heat, many animals stop eating. As a rule, on hot summer days, pets behave calmly, spend most of their time lying in the shade, drinking water. The desire to eat arises in them early in the morning or even at night, when the heat subsides. It is very important during this period to monitor the presence of fresh water in the pet’s bowl, as he drinks a lot. If your dog lives in an apartment, you can help him get through the hot days by using a fan or air conditioner. Walking with a four-legged friend is best done before the onset of heat and after sunset.
The most dangerous viral disease that most often affects puppies under the age of 1.5 years is enteritis. The infection progresses quickly, so it is important to provide timely assistance to the animal. Refusal to eat and diarrhea are the first symptoms of enteritis. The pet’s well-being worsens due to inflammation of the intestinal mucous membranes. The color of the stool becomes greenish-brown, and emptying occurs frequently. Constant vomiting leads to dehydration. When probing the abdomen, there is a strong tension. Weak puppies die in one day.
Another serious viral disease is distemper. Its peculiarity is that symptoms appear 4–5 days after infection. The characteristic symptoms of distemper are:
Why My Dog Won’t Eat Its food- Why is that and how can I help my dog?
- lack of interest in food;
- the desire for solitude in a dark room;
- mucous discharge from the eyes and nose;
- temperature is about 40 degrees;
- rippling of the coat.
Later, the dog’s hind legs give way. Animals have no chance of survival without the help of a veterinarian.
Why a dog. active or sluggish. refuses to eat, only drinks water: 8 reasons why a pet does not eat
Sometimes dog owners notice that their playful and cheerful pets suddenly become lethargic, inactive, refuse to eat, lie down all the time, only drink water, do not go to their favorite toys. Behavioral changes and poor appetite in a dog are the most important indicators of his condition.
Such symptoms often indicate fatigue, stress experienced, or the beginning of a pathological process in the pet’s body. What should you do if the dog does not eat for a week? How to determine why a dog is eating poorly? What diseases can cause loss of appetite? What to do if the dog does not eat and stops getting up on its hind legs?
Lack of appetite during estrus or pregnancy in bitches
In males and bitches, interest in food disappears during the mating period. Sexual instinct is at its peak thanks to the release of hormones. Females usually stop eating a couple of days before estrus, as well as on the second and third days after mating. Males also forget about food during the rut. After a decline in sexual activity, appetite returns to normal.
If the dog refuses to eat before giving birth, this should not bother the owner. This behavior is the first sign of impending labor. Petomitsa does not go to a bowl of food, drinks very little. Some bitches have occasional vomiting or diarrhea when labor approaches, but the dog does not look sick. However, if vomiting is repeated, the female whines, shows anxiety, loses consciousness, her body temperature drops or rises, she urgently needs to be taken to the veterinarian. Such symptoms pose a threat to the life of the dog and its offspring.
Physical or nervous strain
Refusal to eat can be a reaction of the dog to excessive physical activity, and not only fatigue is to blame. During intensive training, the body temperature of the animal rises, which the brain perceives as a signal of satiety. Until the pet’s condition returns to normal, it will not fit the bowl.
Anything that does not fit into the usual life can cause stress in the dog. A serious shock for an animal is often the move to a new house, the loss of the owner, the appearance of a new pet in the apartment, or the death of a relative with whom the dog lived in the same territory. The dog at such moments not only loses its appetite, but also becomes withdrawn, frightened or depressed. Normalization of the psychological state depends on the severity of the stress factor and the characteristics of the dog’s character. Some dogs quickly come to their senses and continue to live as usual. Others may need professional help.
Physiological reasons for refusing food
During the life of each animal, there are periods when appetite decreases. This is due to the physiological characteristics of pets. Refusal to eat can be triggered by external factors, such as climate change, high ambient temperatures. In addition, a decrease in appetite occurs in connection with internal changes caused by age, periods of sexual heat, bearing or feeding offspring. In these cases, the dogs do not need help, since such conditions are not associated with diseases. The pet’s nose remains cold and moist, the body temperature does not rise.
Intestinal obstruction of various etiologies
Bowel obstruction can be caused by a variety of reasons. A pet can get sick under the following conditions:
- eating sharp tubular bones or inedible objects during the game;
- blockage of blood vessels;
- helminthic invasion.
Most often, foreign objects enter the gastrointestinal tract of puppies, as they do not always understand what to eat. Kids swallow plastic, rubber parts, chew plastic bags. In adult dogs, the blockage of the intestinal lumen is caused by bones or parasites.
Infringement occurs with the formation of a hernia or volvulus of the stomach. Vascular embolism results from accumulation of fat or air.
What to do if your dog doesn‘t eat dry food?
If the dog refuses dry food, but eats regular food, then it is healthy. Other physiological and mental factors have nothing to do with it either. Be patient and gradually accustom your pet to the new diet.
- For the first time, mix a small amount of dry food with your daily food. Look at the reaction of the animal. Usually a minor supplement is taken calmly and everything is eaten. If everything went smoothly, increase the proportion of pellets next feeding.
- If the innovation was not gratefully accepted, and the pet bypasses the bowl, do not try to force the dog to eat dry food. Let the animal get used to the new scent and appearance of the product.
- Reduce dry rounds in the total volume of the usual food to a minimum so that the dog practically does not notice them. Add several pellets daily. In the first complementary foods, you can soak them a little to make them look similar to the texture of wet food. The animal will get used to the smell and taste of the complementary food.
- As soon as the dog accepts a new product, increase its volume and reduce the usual food.
After 1-2 weeks of effort, the pet will completely switch to dry food.
An important rule of feeding is that the daily diet of the animal must not be disturbed. Don’t be surprised if your dog stops eating dry food the day after the holiday meal. Having received a lot of “tasty things” the day before in the form of pieces of sausage, barbecue and other delicacies, she will wait for the continuation of the holiday.
If you could not resist and broke the rule, do not follow the lead of the “extortionist”. Get firm: Remove the suggested food bowl until next feeding time. Don’t worry, a little abstinence will only be beneficial.
Errors on the part of the pet owner
Often the dog refuses dry food due to the owner’s fault:
- Some dog breeders soak the feed with milk or sour cream. Then they suddenly stop doing it. The pet is at a loss. he refuses to gnaw dry round pieces.
- Small breeds are big “finicky” in food. To feed the crumbs, the owner tries to please in every possible way: he gives food from his hands, offers various “snacks” in the form of sausages. A small extortionist learns a lesson well and regularly demands a treat, refusing his usual diet.
- Much less dry food is required than wet food. It can be hard for owners to get used to the fact that instead of 2 liters of porridge, only 500 g of granules are needed.
- The dog does not eat dry food after “natural”. A puppy, then an adult dog, is fed with natural wet food. Then, they abruptly switch to dry food, because there is no way to cook the usual food. Naturally, the pet can turn up its nose from the unexpected contents of the bowl.
- Owners who feed the pet from the master’s table run the risk of becoming a victim of manipulation. The dog quickly understands where it tastes better, and will wait for handouts, ignoring his own bowl.
Reasons why your dog may not eat dry food and how to fix them
Dry food is convenient to use, but it happens that the pet refuses the proposed food. Why the dog is not eating or has stopped eating dry food?
Even experienced breeders face this challenge. For very busy owners, this can be a big problem. To solve it, you first need to find out the reason for the refusal.
Why the dog doesn‘t want to eat dry food?
Make sure your pet is healthy first. Pay attention to the general condition of the animal, to its behavior. Go to the veterinarian if you find one of the following signs:
- Lethargy, depression, diarrhea, vomiting, or constipation may indicate internal organ disease.
- Examine your dog’s body for mites, skin irritation, or hair loss.
- Look in your mouth and check for sores and inflammation on the gums and tongue. Is the smell from the mouth normal??
- A stuffy nose leads to loss of smell and appetite.
If nothing suspicious is found, then the refusal is not associated with health complications. Sometimes, even small changes in a dog’s diet or lifestyle can cause a decrease in appetite and aversion to food.
- If the dog refuses to eat food that has been eaten earlier, the quality may have decreased. It is difficult for a person to distinguish a fake from a real composition, but the dog’s nose quickly senses the substitution.
- A change of manufacturer may also not be beneficial. The dog is used to one diet and may not like the other.
- Pay attention to the expiration date of the product. The pellets may have gone bad and the animal smells rancid.
- If there is stale water next to the food or no water at all, the dog will refuse to eat. Intense thirst suppresses appetite.
- In hot weather, the need for food decreases.
- A sedentary lifestyle also negatively affects nutrition. Short walks of apartment dogs without active games do not release energy. This leads to lethargy, indifference to entertainment, and poor appetite.
- During estrus, bitches sometimes lose interest in food. In males, the same situation occurs when they hear a “walking” lady nearby.
- Experiencing stress can severely limit your interest in food. The loss of a beloved owner, moving, the appearance of a child in the house and other abrupt changes in the usual life affect the pet’s mental balance.
- It happens that the doggie just arranged a fasting day for the body. If cheerfulness and good mood do not leave him, then there is no reason for concern. A little later, he will happily eat his portion.
How to avoid this problem?
It is always better to prevent a problem than to solve it later. In order for a pet to take a dry diet with pleasure, you must adhere to some simple rules:
- You can’t feel sorry for the animal and allow yourself to be manipulated. Show who is the boss. If the pet is healthy, then the usual whims are treated by abstaining from food. After a day of hunger strike, he will gladly accept the offered food. Praise the dog when he’s full. However, this method is not suitable in the case of a puppy and a pregnant bitch.
- The food bowl should not be freely available. A diet with a limited serving size must be followed.
- Increased physical activity will be beneficial if the dog is not eating well. Engage in training, active games, joint jogging in the morning. Don’t let the dog get bored.
- Eliminate psychological factors that can cause stress. Pay more attention, give love and care. Even babies have a subtle sense of the owner’s mood.
- Do not swear or punish your tailed friend for refusing to eat. Eating food should only evoke pleasant emotions. If the animal is nervous and frightened, it may subsequently be afraid to approach the bowl.
- If your dog is not feeling well, see your veterinarian. You may need to be examined and tested. After the restoration of health, the appetite will return.
When purchasing dry food, consider the individual characteristics of the pet’s breed, its weight, age and lifestyle. The power lines of various manufacturers are divided into several categories:
- By class. Economy, premium and super premium feeds differ in the price and quality of the composition.
- By calorie content. Energetic and sedentary animals require different nutrients.
- According to the breed. What suits a Doberman will badly affect a little Yorkie.
- For health. Pet with sensitive digestion, sterilized, pregnant and lactating bitches.
For small dogs it is better not to offer large food pads intended for large breeds. If the animal refuses its usual “drying”, try changing the brand of the manufacturer. In any case, only your patience and love will help to cope with the difficulty that has arisen.
Reasons Why Dogs Avoid Dry Food
What if the dog stops eating dry food? Even the most experienced breeder may ask this question. Pet owners often notice that one pet goes around the bowl of dry granules, the other hums with pleasure, eating every crumb, and even asks for supplements. Why even a hungry dog, without pleasure, sniffs round pieces poured into a bowl, but as soon as he touches them, he stops eating?
First of all, you need to understand the reason for the rejection of dry food and find a solution to the problem. Dog breeders recommend not to force pets to eat what they don’t like, but gradually teach them to use dry food.
Sometimes, a violation of the usual diet, confuses the owners and creates a lot of inconvenience. We’ll have to look for other food options. It will not be easy, because it is almost impossible to find out in advance what the pet prefers. You will have to experiment with different varieties of cereals, prepare fresh portions, urgently find out how to feed a capricious dog with natural food.
Finding the right food for your dog is difficult. In addition, she may refuse to eat vegetables, cereals or dairy products. In dry food, all useful ingredients are selected in the optimal proportion.
The main mistakes of pet owners
Consider what mistakes of the owner can lead to a change in the pet’s food preferences:
- The puppy, and then the adult dog, is used to eating natural food. Due to various life circumstances, the owner is trying to feed him with “drying”. Of course, the pet will rest with all its paws and turn its nose away from unusual food;
- If the dog began to eat dry food poorly, and previously devoured it with pleasure, the problem may be in the transition to another type of food or a decrease in its quality. It is often difficult to distinguish high quality counterfeit food. But the dog’s nose cannot be fooled. the pet’s sense of smell will tell him about the substitution;
- Small breeds are picky about food. When a pet refuses to eat, its owner begins to come up with various feeding options. He can begin to feed the capricious woman from his hands or on the bed, reward for obedience with a “tasty treat”. sausage or sausage. A petty extortionist will quickly figure out how to get an extra treat. And soon he will try to get only something tasty, refusing the prescribed portion of “drying”. In this case, there is only one way out. to accustom to dry feeding or to natural feeding. It is not recommended to mix them;
- Some dog owners try to soak the food with milk, sour cream or even yogurt first. Then they suddenly stop doing that. The dog is at a loss. he does not want to eat, round poured into a plate.
It is not necessary to offer too much food, the portion must be eaten completely. Natural food always needs more than dry food.
There are dry granules for refusal, sometimes there are reasons that do not depend on mistakes or inexperience of the owner. Let’s list some of them:
- “Drying” has a specific smell attractive to animals. If a pet loses its sense of smell as a result of a cold, a runny nose, it ceases to react to aroma and does not perceive food as food;
- The reason for the refusal may be health problems of the animal. For example, inflammation of the gums and oral cavity will interfere with normal nutrition, and will also affect the pet’s appetite;
- Chronic diseases of internal organs or an acute course of any disease can lead to the fact that the pet will refuse to eat;
- Food from another manufacturer may not like your shaggy friend. Animals quickly become accustomed to a certain type, smell and quality of pads. Even if there is visual similarity between foods, they may differ in smell, taste and composition. If you change the brand of the ready-made diet, the dog may immediately refuse to accept it;
- Poor quality or spoiled pellets. An excellent sense of smell helps the animal to feel that the round pieces do not smell very pleasant, and may have completely deteriorated. You should only buy premium dry food from reputable manufacturers. Shelf life and feed quality are important.
Certain dog breeds must be allowed to be physically active. Passive behavior can change their behavior and eating habits. If the dog has stopped eating “drying” with pleasure, it may be due to the lack of activity and a sedentary lifestyle. If the previously active pet shows lethargy, indifference to everything and loses its appetite, it may be that he needs to run around and frolic to his heart’s content. Increase walking time, engage in active games with him.
Often physiological factors lead to the rejection of pads. These include:
- Spree in males.
In this case, your pet is not up to good nutrition. His thoughts are aimed at completely different physiological needs.
The main reasons why a dog stopped eating dry food
The diet of dogs should be well balanced, include the following ׃
- Fats of animal and vegetable origin;
- Amino acids;
Calculating your diet yourself is not an easy task. What to do if the dog does not eat dry food, which contains all the components necessary for its growth and development?
First of all, figure out the reasons for this strange behavior. It happens that the owner is to blame for the fact that his pet is not satisfied with the usual diet.
How to solve the problem
In order not to be the reason that led to the rejection of the usual diet, you still have to overcome it. If your dog is physically healthy, use the following tips.
The digestive system of the dog begins to normally digest the new type of food only after a few weeks. Therefore, it is necessary to give her time to adapt. Transfer to industrial pet food should be gradually. Granules are mixed with natural food, gradually increasing their number until they replace it.
If the dog is not very willing to eat production food, you can slightly soak it in boiled water. Some dog owners use kefir, sour cream or yogurt instead of water. Such food will be very nutritious for the puppies. However, care must be taken to ensure that dairy products do not cause digestive upset.
You should buy premium food that is of the highest quality. Despite the fact that they are expensive, they will not harm the health of the pet.
What should be done first of all to make the dog enjoy dry food ׃
- Remove the bowl of food so that the dog does not touch it every time it runs by. It is necessary to follow the diet and give food in strictly fixed portions. If the pet refuses to eat in the morning, the bowl of granules is put out only in the evening;
- You can not follow the lead of the animal and feel sorry for him. Dogs can be left without food for several days. If the loss of appetite is not associated with any disease, the dog will feast on dry food on the second day. Praise your dog and let him feed;
- You can not punish and violently express your dissatisfaction because the shaggy companion refuses to eat. Nutrition should only be associated with positive emotions. The animal should not be nervous or intimidated so as not to lead to further negative behaviors. For example. fear of going to your bowl;
- All factors that can lead to stress should be excluded. Change the environment around the animal, show more attention and care. Even puppies are very sensitive to the mood of the owner. Sometimes, why a stressful condition has arisen, it is not possible to find out on our own. You need to go to the vet;
- Increase the physical activity for your pet. Jog him in the morning, walk him in the middle of the day, and walk with him for a long time in the evening. You can “load” it with trainings, training, joint and active games. So that the tailed robber does not get bored alone, does not spoil household things. buy him special toys with which he will have fun in the absence of the owner;
- If the dog has a cold or is feeling unwell for another reason, consult a veterinary clinic. The doctor will examine him, you may need to be tested. When health returns to the pet, he will eat as usual.
It should be remembered that only after determining the cause, you can take some measures so that it returns to the usual diet or switch to natural nutrition. All further actions will depend on what exactly influenced the animal’s refusal from habitual feeding.
How to prevent dry food abandonment
It is better to prevent the dog from rejecting dry food than to find out the reasons for this behavior and try to correct them later. When buying food, you need to take into account the characteristics of your pet, the state of his health, breed, weight and even character.
Producers of many dry food, which differ in class. from “economy” to super-premium.
There are also different varieties intended for ׃
- For pets leading a sedentary life;
- Active animals;
- Different breeds;
- Sterilized animals;
- Pregnant and lactating bitches;
- Animals with sensitive digestion;
- Long-haired dogs, etc.
It is clear that the little pug will not want to eat the pellets that are made for a nursing or Rottweiler. But if he has stopped eating his usual “drying”, you can try to teach her to eat a different kind of granules. for example, change the brand. You can pick it up with a different composition.
It should be borne in mind that variety in food for your pet is also important. Transfer it to another type of feed gradually. Always place a large bowl of water nearby.
Small dogs are best off avoiding large food pads that are meant for large breeds. Serving size should also be monitored to avoid indigestion.
If your pet has lost its appetite, don’t panic right away. Try to eliminate the root cause that led to this problem. You should not immediately suspect a whole bunch of diseases in your pet, everything may not be so bad.
Refusal of dry food does not always indicate any disturbance or “mental” disorder of the dog. Perhaps she was just tired of the monotonous diet. Or maybe she got used to her own “drying” and does not want to accept another.
As a rule, health problems are manifested not only in refusal to eat. the dog becomes lethargic, stops playing and is clearly depressed. First of all, measure the temperature of the pet. its increase will speak of the infectious nature of the disease.
If the temperature is not elevated, examine the dog’s oral cavity. the gums should be pale pink, so a bright red color, especially in the root zone, may indicate inflammation that has begun. Problems with the gastrointestinal tract are most often manifested in indigestion. diarrhea, as well as vomiting, which is also not difficult to notice.
In any case, you should not make diagnoses on your own, and if you have the slightest suspicion of health problems, immediately contact your veterinarian.
What to do if your dog doesn‘t eat dry food?
Dry food is a real find for busy, hurrying owners. They require minimal effort and time to feed the pet, provided they are quality food, contain all the nutrients necessary for a dog’s health, and are varied enough to find the ideal diet for your pet.
However, sometimes it happens that the dog flatly refuses to eat dry food. what to do in this situation? Before taking any action, you need to understand the reasons for your pet’s behavior.
The main point in this process is gradualness. To begin with, a small amount of dry food is mixed with a regular portion of food and the reaction of the animal is observed. Most often, a small addition of foreign food is perceived by the dog calmly and dry food is eaten along with the rest of the food.
If the process has started, you can add a little more dry food to the next feeding. If the dog carefully bypasses the bowl, it is better not to rush things and let the pet get used to the appearance and, most importantly, to the smell of new food. A dog’s sense of smell is significantly superior to that of a human, and the smallest portion of food with an off-odor can cause a pet’s alertness.
Reduce the amount of dry food in your usual food to a minimum that the dog will not notice, and increase it very gradually, literally a few pellets. Sometimes macerating dry food helps to make it more flavorful and closer in texture to wet food.
After the dog has begun to eat the suggested dry food as part of the normal diet, begin to gradually increase the number of pellets, while simultaneously reducing the total volume of the usual food.
With this approach, the dog can be switched to dry food in 1-2 weeks. The term may lengthen depending on the stubbornness of the pet, but sooner or later a positive result is guaranteed.
When a healthy dog refuses to eat dry food
Suppose your suspicions are not confirmed and the dog is healthy. As a rule, the rejection of dry food occurs when switching to a new diet or even when changing the type of food. You will have to be patient here. it will take time, love for your pet and perseverance.
Why the dog doesn‘t eat dry food?
The most common reason for refusal is an incorrect transfer to dry food from a different type of food. Dogs, like humans, are suspicious of anything new, especially when it comes to food that has an unusual smell and texture. over, the older the dog, the more conservatism and stubbornness it can show.
The second and most serious situation occurs when the dog refuses the usual food. If you stored the packaging correctly and do not doubt the good quality of the product, then you should take care of the pet’s well-being.
There can be many reasons why a dog does not eat dry food, which it has been devouring with gusto over the past few months or even years:
- problems with teeth or mouth,
- metabolic disorders,
- digestive problems,
- infectious or invasive diseases and much more.
It is worth remembering that many ailments in a dog are manifested precisely in a decrease or complete absence of appetite.
Finally, the reason for the refusal of the dog from dry food can be elementary overeating, that is, the pet is simply full or, not without reason, hopes to get something tastier than proper nutrition. Let’s say right away: this is the lesser of troubles and the responsibility for it lies entirely with the conscience of the owners.
Let’s start with the elimination method. with serious reasons.
We show firmness
And finally, the last option. After the festive feast of the owners, the dog, who had received a hefty portion of delicacies the day before, does not even want to look in the direction of the bowl with the usual food. At best, these are whims: it is difficult for an animal to understand why yesterday he got a piece of barbecue, ham and biscuits, and today only dry food. The pet requires the continuation of the banquet and, in its own way, is absolutely right.
One of the main rules for feeding animals is not to disturb the pet’s diet. But if such a sin has already happened to you, show firmness: the bowl of food, which the dog refused from, is removed until the next feeding. Do not worry: a hunger strike is not able to harm the pet, but only will benefit him.
But if after a day the dog does not want to eat dry food, it is best to consult a veterinarian, since the option of developing pancreatitis in a pet against the background of excessively fatty food eaten the day before is not excluded.
Reasons for refusing dry food
It happens that it is through the fault of the owner that the dog refuses to “dry”. What the dog breeder does wrong?
- If initially the pet is used to eating natural food, and then, due to various circumstances, they offer him “drying”, naturally, he will refuse. Not a single dry food can match the taste of natural food. Of course, you can force your pet to switch to a dry diet.
- If the dog does not eat dry food, although it used to eat only dry food, then the reason for the refusal may be a sharp change in brand or poor quality of the food purchased. A person may not distinguish a fake from a premium food, but a dog’s sense of smell is extremely difficult to carry out.
- Many small breeds are, by definition, picky about food. When the owner sees that the pet is eating poorly or refuses to touch the bowl at all, he offers her various options: hand-feed, give something tasty. Dogs are not stupid: they understand that if they are capricious, the generous owner will give you a treat. What to do in this case? Try to teach your pet to eat either dry food or natural food.
- If the pet has ceased to “pay attention” to dry food, perhaps she is fed up with the taste that she has been feeling for a certain period. Some owners soak “drying” with yogurt or kefir, and when they stop doing this, the dog understands: something is wrong. Natural reaction: “I will not eat it”.
- If the dog refuses to eat dry food, the owner should think about what to do to correct the situation. Too large portions may be the root cause of refusal to eat. It must be remembered that dry food is required much less than natural.
- If the pet has stopped using “drying”, then perhaps her sedentary lifestyle is the reason. When the dog does not waste its energy, it becomes lethargic and indifferent to entertainment. Bottom line: decreased appetite.
- If the pet does not eat “drying” well or refuses it, then the reason for the refusal is possible health problems. Diseases of the oral cavity, sore gums, runny nose. not only does all this interfere with a normal diet, but it leads to a decreased appetite. Many internal diseases can lead to the same result.
What to do if your dog refuses to eat dry food
Some owners notice that not all animals like dry food, while the neighbor’s pet happily eats the assigned portion and licks the bowl to the last crumb. But this particular dog does not eat dry food. Why did she stop paying attention to him? Or why does she eat it badly, being hungry? It is necessary to find out the reasons for this strange behavior and look for ways to solve the problem. There is no need to look for an answer to the question of how to get a pet to eat what he does not like; it is important to train your dog to eat dry food. These are two big differences.!
Ways to solve the problem
No matter how scary the factors leading to the refusal to eat, there are always ways to solve the problem. What to do to not only force the dog, but also to accustom him to dry food?
First, you need to remember that the transition from natural to industrial food should be gradual.
The animal’s digestive system adapts to a new type of food after 2 weeks.
If the question is how to get the dog to eat dry food, then the owner should mix industrial food with natural food. Every day, a quarter of the serving is replaced with granules until they completely replace the natural. If the dog does not eat the pellets well, then you can pre-soak them with boiled water. Some of the owners soak them in yogurt or kefir. This will be especially useful for babies. You just need to make sure that the mixture of granules and fermented milk products does not lead to a disorder of the digestive system.
How to train, or at least force, a dog to eat dry food? You need to buy premium feed. Yes, they are expensive! But the quality of industrial pellets is the highest. Therefore, such food will not harm the pet.
Finally, it is highly discouraged to leave a bowl of food freely available. The pet should have a strict diet and fixed portions. If the animal has not eaten in the morning, then there is nothing wrong with sitting hungry until the evening, no. You just need to remember that the portion in this case should not be increased. You cannot give in to your emotions and feel sorry for the poor man who did not eat once. Dogs may not eat at all for several days. Usually, the appetite in the absence of any ailment returns on the second day. When the dog began to eat, you need to praise him and let him eat calmly.
Pete The Vet. Help! My Dog doesn‘t want to eat!
The portion must be strictly fixed.
Veterinarians say pets should associate food intake with positive emotions. If the dog refuses to eat, the owner often swears, which in turn causes nervousness in the animal. In the future, this negative experience will affect the pet’s nutrition.
How to prevent refusal from “drying”?
In order not to wonder why the dog stopped eating dry food, you need to try to prevent this process. When choosing food, it is necessary to take into account the characteristics of a particular animal and its state of health.
Usually manufacturers offer whole lines of feed, which are divided:
- by class: economy, premium, super premium. The different quality of each type naturally affects the price.
- by calorie content: for active and sedentary dogs.
- for pets of various breeds.
It is clear that the lapdog refuses to eat pellets for the Rottweiler. But if she stopped eating her usual food, you can try to accustom her to another. Variety in an animal’s diet is just as important. It must be remembered that you need to gradually switch from one type of granules to another.
A large bowl of water should be left in the dog’s line of sight. The water should be changed twice a day.
What to do if the dog does not eat dry food well? After a walk, the pet’s appetite increases. A walk is not only about going to the toilet. This is an opportunity to frolic, waste your energy, prevent the development of stagnant processes in the body, and maintain normal functioning of internal organs. This is especially true for large animals.
The question of whether a dog does not eat dry food, how to make it or what to do to teach it to eat just this type of food, torments many dog breeders. One tip is not to put too many pellets in the bowl. If after 15 minutes there is something left in the bowl, it should be removed from the line of sight. The next time you need to add less.
What if the pet does not want to get used to the new diet? In the absence of contraindications, you need to show firmness. No pity, no hand feeding, no sweets, so long as the animal does not remain hungry. Believe me, very soon the dog will understand what’s what and will begin to manipulate its owner.
The improper lifestyle of the animal can provoke a situation when the dog has stopped eating dry food; here’s what to do in this case? If you can’t get her to get used to “drying”, maybe still switch to natural food? But you need to be prepared for the fact that you will have to spend much more time feeding your pet.