Reasons Why Your Dog Doesn‘t Eat Food
Like humans, dogs can have a variety of reasons for refusing to eat, which may include the following:
- Disease. Decreased appetite in dogs is a common sign of illness, especially if the dog has other symptoms along with the refusal to eat. Loss of appetite in dogs by itself does not always indicate a serious illness, but it is necessary to show the animal to a veterinarian, as it can hide a serious illness, such as cancer, an infectious disease, liver or kidney disease.
- Diseases of the teeth. The dog may not eat because something in the dog’s mouth is causing pain. Check your dog for broken or missing teeth, inflammation of the gums, swelling in the mouth, or a foreign object.
- Recent vaccinations. Although vaccinations have saved millions of dogs’ lives over the past 100 years, side effects are possible after vaccination. One is temporary loss of appetite in dogs.
- Transportation or unfriendly surroundings. If the dog had a good appetite before the trip, then after being transported in an unfamiliar environment or due to unfamiliar sounds, the dog’s appetite may disappear due to stress.
- Finicky behavior or behavior change. Some dogs are picky and simply do not want to eat because of some discomfort, for example, when another dog or a bowl is at an uncomfortable height.
Since the reason that a dog refuses to eat is often a sign of illness, it cannot be assumed that the dog simply does not want to eat at the moment, and then eat when he is hungry. First you need to exclude all other reasons for refusing to eat.
Why isn’t the dog eating food? Reasons and what to do in this situation
There are many reasons why a dog refuses to eat. It is imperative to understand what is causing this in order to cope with this situation.
The first thing to do is understand how you rate the fact that the dog has become poorly eaten? If you are worried that your dog is eating less than the food manufacturer’s recommended amount, then it is quite possible that everything is fine, because this recommended daily amount of food consumed is an average value. Many dogs that eat 60. 70% of the recommended amount are completely healthy.
Often the reason for refusing food in dogs is a sign of illness.
If your dog ate well before, but now refuses to eat, you need to contact a veterinary clinic!
Despite the fact that many dogs can go without food for 2 days without any serious health problems, we strongly recommend that you do not postpone the visit to the veterinary clinic.
What to do if your dog is not eating?
To decide what to do, the veterinarian must first establish the cause.
If the reason for the loss of appetite is illness, the doctor may prescribe a veterinary diet. Dogs sometimes dislike these diets, especially if they are periodically fed treats or from the table. If the dog is already sick, never try to force-feed the dog. Discuss the situation with your veterinarian, he may prescribe drugs to stimulate the dog’s appetite, intravenous feeding, or use a special feeding tube.
If the dog refuses to eat due to mood problems, discomfort, stress, then there are several options for solving this problem
- Top dressing with treats
- Feeding dogs strictly on schedule, usually 2 times a day
- Walking the dog before feeding
- Change the environment in which the dog eats. If you usually feed with other animals, try feeding your dog alone. Try changing the bowl and placing it at different heights from the floor to understand what the dog likes best and how it is more comfortable for him to eat.
- Try changing feed brand or form (wet / dry)
If your dog is not eating, you can contact the Constellation Veterinary Center. We work around the clock. We have all the equipment you need to diagnose the causes of canine anorexia. Professional veterinary therapists work.
What to do to make your dog start eating dry food again
If you have no intention of switching your dog to natural food, strict measures should be taken. Do not forget that the leader in the house is you, your word should be the law. There is no need to raise your voice and punish the animal, you should not do this, just stick to your chosen policy and be persistent.
Stop following your pet if it begs. His plaintive eyes do not indicate that he is hungry. If the dog is hungry, he will go to his bowl and eat.
If your pet is already very spoiled, you can help him as follows: add some natural food to the dry food, daily reducing and eliminating the amount of additive. At the same time, an important condition that all family members must adhere to is not to give a piece from the table. If this is difficult for you, close the beggar in another room while you eat yourself. And don’t worry, he won’t hold a grudge against you.
If this doesn‘t work, try keeping your dog on a fast food diet for one or two days. Leave only a bowl of water. Don’t think of yourself as angry or cruel. Give your pet increased attention during this period, devote more time to it, play with it.
This method cannot be used for puppies, for pregnant and lactating dogs, for old dogs. It is not necessary to do this even if the animal has chronic diseases.
Try adding some water to your dry food. The reason for the rejection of dry food may be that microcracks have appeared in the enamel of the teeth, or the gums are slightly inflamed. Solid food can be painful or uncomfortable.
Some dogs can be easily persuaded. Put the bowl down and don’t leave right away. Talk to your pet in a calm voice with encouraging intonation. No matter how strange it may seem, it happens that the dog listens and begins to eat.
What has changed in the life of a dog
Why did she refuse dry food? Abrupt changes in diet or lifestyle can provoke refusal:
- Change from one type of dry food to another. Refusal to eat when switching from a cheap feed to a more expensive one is due to the fact that flavor enhancers and flavorings are added to the economy class feed. The smell of expensive quality food is not so pronounced. For this very reason, the dog does not eat new food. it smells differently. If the food is introduced into the diet of a class lower than the previous one, then the dog may not like it, because it does not contain meat, but contains a lot of soy or bone meal. Humans cannot determine the composition of food by smell, but dogs feel it very subtly;
- Taste preferences can change if the pet is periodically treated with natural food from the table;
- Appetite decreases if the dog has become a sedentary lifestyle. The body uses less energy and requires less nutrition to restore it;
- If too much food is poured into the bowl, the dog cannot eat the entire serving. The remaining food is consumed during the day and the dog is not hungry for the next meal;
- If the water in the bowl is stale, or not at all, the pet is thirsty. When an animal is thirsty, it has no appetite;
- In summer, in hot weather, the dog’s appetite decreases.
It happens that a beloved pet arranges a fasting day for itself. If at the same time he is cheerful and cheerful, do not worry. Later he will eat whatever is given to him.
And it happens that the dog stopped eating ready-made dry food, because he realized that you can be manipulated, and knows that he will always get something tasty.
Why a dog doesn‘t eat dry food and what to do about it
Experienced dog breeders will confirm that dogs, like humans, have their own desires, their own opinions, and their own preferences in everything, including food. Something your pet likes, but something does not, today he eats such food, and tomorrow categorically refuses. Therefore, you should not be surprised if yesterday your dog was happy to grump dry food, and today he dreams of a marrow. But don’t be led by the dog. We all know that an unbalanced diet can be harmful to health. If it so happens that today the dog does not eat dry food, let’s think about how to make it.
Is the dog healthy?
Does he have diarrhea or constipation, nausea or vomiting, lethargy and depression? Check for mites, skin irritation, or the fur is beginning to fall out intensively. Look into his eyes, look into his ears. Be sure to check for sores on your gums or tongue. Is there an unpleasant smell from the mouth? If, in the absence of appetite, at least one of the above troubles comes to light, take him to the veterinary clinic. it is possible that your pet is sick with something.
If no suspicious reasons are found, the dog is active, in a good mood, does not refuse his favorite treat, then he is healthy, and this is great.
Finding out the reasons
Before finding out for what reasons the dog stopped eating ready-made food, it is necessary to understand whether the lack of appetite is connected with the onset of the disease. Take a closer look at the general condition and observe the behavior of the pet.
How to prevent food refusal
When choosing the right food, be sure to consider the individual characteristics of your pet.
Many manufacturers have a wide range of feeds. He shares:
- by class: economy, premium, super premium. These feeds have different quality, and, accordingly, the price is different;
- calorie content: for sedentary and active dogs;
- for dogs of different breeds, different food is also offered. What’s good for a Doberman is bad for a york.
If your dog stops eating one food, try another. It is impossible to switch abruptly from one to another. Mix, increasing the amount of new food gradually.
When feeding solid food, be sure to leave a large bowl of water in the access area. It must be fresh, change the water twice a day.
After a walk, the dog’s appetite increases. Walking is necessary not only for the pet to go to the toilet. He needs to run and jump a lot so that there are no stagnant processes in the body and all organs function normally. This is especially true of large dogs, which have nowhere to even turn around in the apartment.
Don’t give him too much food. If food remains in the bowl after 10-15 minutes, it should be removed. Next time, consider this and give a little less.
Be persistent and firm in raising your pet. If the rejection of dry food is repeated periodically, then think. maybe it is worth switching to natural food?
Common causes of dog refusal from dry food
To begin with, you should pay attention to the feeding regime. Frequent feedings and large portions can lead to overfeeding of the pet, as a result of which a full animal refuses to eat. In this case, you need to reduce the number of meals to twice a day. usually in the morning and evening. However, it is worth adjusting the feeding time depending on the specific dog, for example, some eat better before a walk in the morning, and others vice versa.
Passive pets, who rarely or walk little, lose their appetite, because they do not waste their energy, with a lack of physical activity, they do not gain appetite. Therefore, you should change the life of the pet, walk it more often and give it physical activity. Better to feed one hour after the walk.
The events of the last days should be analyzed. For example, some vaccines cause temporary loss of appetite. Stress in a dog’s life can also be a reason for refusing to eat, for example, moving, changing owners, overexposure, or being alone for a long time. In hot weather, there may also be a decrease in appetite.
A dog may refuse dry food if it has previously eaten exclusively natural products. Dry granules seem unattractive and unaccustomed to the animal. Therefore, it is important to gradually transfer the dog to dry food within 1-2 weeks.
A pet that was initially given only dry food may refuse to eat if the brand of food changes, the addition of feeds and additives to granules is stopped. Usually, animals cannot resist deliciously smelling food, but when choosing it, you need to study the composition, which should not contain artificial flavors.
Perhaps the dog does not eat dry food simply because it is spoiled or contains dangerous, not useful components, which is characteristic of cheap, low-quality food. Dry food in large packages at a slow consumption, eventually loses its attractiveness in terms of smell and taste, the food changes its taste, and the animal will not eat. Dry food stays fresh for about a month after opening the package if stored in a closed container or tightly closed bag.
Some breeds are the most picky about food, such as Yorkshire Terriers, Maltese and some other small dogs. But their finickyness is often the result of being spoiled, feeding extra treats, eating from the table between meals, mixing natural foods and dry granules. The pet knows that he will still get a tidbit and may refuse dry food. Therefore, it is important not to violate the feeding regime so that the animal does not spoil the appetite, does not become capricious, in addition, a violation of the feeding and diet regime leads to various diseases.
Having excluded all of the above reasons, it remains to check the health of the pet. Diseases of the oral cavity are common reasons why a dog does not eat dry food. Even the hungriest dog will refuse dry food if it has dental problems or damage to the oral cavity, such as tartar, gum disease, sores. Possibly other medical conditions, symptoms of which are lethargy, weight loss or obesity, diarrhea, vomiting.
Why the dog doesn‘t eat dry food
Most pets eat food with pleasure and quickly, licking blissfully after the last crumb eaten. But some people eat dry food without much enthusiasm, or even refuse it altogether.
For a number of reasons, sometimes completely incomprehensible, the dog does not eat dry food, which causes concern for the owner, who does not understand the reason for refusing to eat.
How to train your dog to eat dry food
Feed should be twice a day at a strictly defined time, leaving a bowl of food for 15 minutes. If the pet has not eaten, then it’s okay if he will starve until the next feeding. The dog can starve for 2-3 days, but usually the appetite returns on the second day. You need to act firmly and decisively, not succumbing to pity. It is important to make it clear to the animal that the food that is given to it, it will eat every day. Begging should be stopped.
Dry food must be selected carefully, it happens that, having tried dozens of foods, the dog is reluctant to eat even expensive ones. At first, you can soak the granules with warm water or chicken broth, kefir, and also mix with wet food of the same brand.
Do not distract the animal while feeding. When the pet begins to eat, you can praise him for this, and then give him a quiet meal. If there are several animals, then you can try to feed them separately from each other, in a quiet and peaceful place so that they do not steal food.
The dog should associate feeding with positive emotions, if the owner scolds for refusing to eat or in other situations when the animal experiences nervousness and irritability while eating, it may refuse to eat, because such situations are for him. negative experience.
The main mistakes of pet owners
Consider what mistakes of the owner can lead to a change in the pet’s food preferences:
- The puppy, and then the adult dog, is used to eating natural food. Due to various life circumstances, the owner is trying to feed him with “drying”. Of course, the pet will rest with all its paws and turn its nose away from unusual food;
- If the dog began to eat dry food poorly, and previously devoured it with pleasure, the problem may be in the transition to another type of food or a decrease in its quality. It is often difficult to distinguish high quality counterfeit food. But the dog’s nose cannot be fooled. the pet’s sense of smell will tell him about the substitution;
- Small breeds are picky about food. When a pet refuses to eat, its owner begins to come up with various feeding options. He can begin to feed the capricious woman from his hands or on the bed, reward for obedience with a “tasty”. sausage or sausage. A petty extortionist will quickly figure out how to get an extra treat. And soon he will try to get only something tasty, refusing the prescribed portion of “drying”. In this case, there is only one way out. to accustom to dry feeding or to natural feeding. It is not recommended to mix them;
- Some dog owners try to soak the food with milk, sour cream or even yogurt first. Then they suddenly stop doing that. The dog is at a loss. he does not want to eat, round poured into a plate.
It is not necessary to offer too much food, the portion must be eaten completely. Natural food always needs more than dry food.
There are dry granules for refusal, sometimes there are reasons that do not depend on mistakes or inexperience of the owner. Let’s list some of them:
- “Drying” has a specific smell attractive to animals. If a pet loses its sense of smell as a result of a cold, a runny nose, it ceases to react to aroma and does not perceive food as food;
- The reason for the refusal may be health problems of the animal. For example, inflammation of the gums and oral cavity will interfere with normal nutrition and also affect the pet’s appetite;
- Chronic diseases of internal organs or an acute course of any disease can lead to the fact that the pet will refuse to eat;
- Food from another manufacturer may not like your shaggy friend. Animals quickly become accustomed to a certain type, smell and quality of pads. Even if there is visual similarity between foods, they may differ in smell, taste and composition. If you change the brand of the ready-made diet, the dog may immediately refuse to accept it;
- Poor quality or spoiled pellets. An excellent sense of smell helps the animal to feel that the round ones do not smell very pleasant, and perhaps they have completely deteriorated. You should only buy premium dry food from reputable manufacturers. Shelf life and feed quality are important.
Certain dog breeds must be allowed to be physically active. Passive behavior can change their behavior and eating habits. If the dog has stopped eating “drying” with pleasure, it may be due to the lack of activity and a sedentary lifestyle. If the previously active pet shows lethargy, indifference to everything and loses its appetite, it may be that he needs to run around and frolic to his heart’s content. Increase walking time, engage in active games with him.
Often physiological factors lead to the rejection of pads. These include:
- Spree in males.
In this case, your pet is not up to good nutrition. His thoughts are aimed at completely different physiological needs.
Reasons Why Dogs Avoid Dry Food
What if the dog stops eating dry food? Even the most experienced breeder may ask this question. Pet owners often notice that one pet goes around the bowl with dry granules, the other grumbles with pleasure, eating every crumb, and even asks for supplements. Why even a hungry dog, without pleasure, sniffs round pieces poured into a bowl, but as soon as he touches them, he stops eating?
First of all, you need to understand the reason for the rejection of dry food and find a solution to the problem that has arisen. Dog breeders recommend not to force pets to eat what they don’t like, but gradually teach them to use dry food.
Sometimes, a violation of the usual diet, confuses the owners and creates a lot of inconvenience. We’ll have to look for other food options. It will not be easy, because it is almost impossible to find out in advance what the pet prefers. You will have to experiment with different varieties of cereals, prepare fresh portions, urgently find out how to feed a capricious dog with natural food.
Finding the right food for your dog is difficult. In addition, she may refuse to eat vegetables, cereals or dairy products. In dry food, all useful ingredients are selected in the optimal proportion.
How to solve a problem
In order not to be the reason that led to the rejection of the usual diet, you still have to overcome it. If your dog is physically healthy, use the following tips.
The dog’s digestive system begins to normally digest a new type of food only after a few weeks. Therefore, it is necessary to give her time to adapt. Transfer to industrial pet food should be gradually. Granules are mixed with natural food, gradually increasing their number until they replace it.
If the dog is not very willing to eat production food, you can slightly soak it in boiled water. Some dog owners use kefir, sour cream or yogurt instead of water. Such food will be very nutritious for the puppies. However, care must be taken to ensure that dairy products do not cause digestive upset.
You should buy premium food that is of the highest quality. Despite the fact that they are expensive, they will not harm the health of the pet.
What should be done first of all to make the dog enjoy dry food ׃
- Remove the bowl of food so that the dog does not touch it every time it runs by. It is necessary to follow the diet and give food in strictly fixed portions. If the pet refuses to eat in the morning, the bowl of granules is put out only in the evening;
- You can’t follow the lead of the animal and feel sorry for him. Dogs can be left without food for several days. If the loss of appetite is not associated with any disease, the dog will feast on dry food on the second day. Praise your dog and let him feed;
- You can not punish and violently express your dissatisfaction because the shaggy companion refuses to eat. Nutrition should only be associated with positive emotions. The animal should not be nervous or intimidated so as not to lead to further negative behaviors. For example. fear of going to your bowl;
- All factors that can lead to stress should be excluded. Change the environment around the animal, show more attention and care. Even puppies are very sensitive to the mood of the owner. Sometimes, why a stressful condition has arisen, it is not possible to find out on our own. You need to go to the vet;
- Increase the physical activity for your pet. Jog him in the morning, walk him in the middle of the day, and walk with him for a long time in the evening. You can “load” it with trainings, training, joint and active games. So that the tailed robber does not get bored alone, does not spoil household things. buy him special toys with which he will have fun in the absence of the owner;
- If the dog has a cold or is feeling unwell for another reason, consult a veterinary clinic. The doctor will examine him, you may need to be tested. When health returns to the pet, he will eat as usual.
It should be remembered that only after determining the cause, you can take some measures so that it returns to the usual diet or switch to natural nutrition. All further actions will depend on what exactly influenced the animal’s refusal from habitual feeding.
The main reasons why the dog stopped eating dry food
The diet of dogs should be well balanced, include the following ׃
- Fats of animal and vegetable origin;
- Amino acids;
Calculating your diet yourself is not an easy task. What to do if the dog does not eat dry food, which contains all the components necessary for its growth and development?
First of all, figure out the reasons for this strange behavior. It happens that the owner is to blame for the fact that his pet is not satisfied with the usual diet.
How to prevent dry food abandonment
It is better to prevent your dog from rejecting dry food than to find out the reasons for this behavior and try to correct them later. When buying food, you need to take into account the characteristics of your pet, the state of his health, breed, weight and even character.
Is Your Dog A Picky Eater? | How To
Producers of many dry food, which differ in class. from “economy” to super-premium.
There are also different varieties intended for ׃
- For pets leading a sedentary life;
- Active animals;
- Different breeds;
- Sterilized animals;
- Pregnant and lactating bitches;
- Animals with sensitive digestion;
- Long-haired dogs, etc.
It is clear that the little pug will not want to eat the pellets that are made for a nursing or Rottweiler. But if he has stopped eating his usual “drying”, you can try to teach her to eat a different kind of granules. for example, change the brand. You can pick it up with a different composition.
It should be borne in mind that variety in food for your pet is also important. Transfer it to another type of feed gradually. Always place a large bowl of water nearby.
Small dogs are best avoided using large food pads that are intended for large breeds. Serving size should also be monitored to avoid indigestion.
If your pet has lost its appetite, do not immediately panic. Try to eliminate the root cause that led to this problem. You should not immediately suspect a whole bunch of diseases in your pet, everything may not be so bad.
Refusal of dry food does not always indicate any disturbance or “mental” disorder of the dog. Perhaps she was just tired of the monotonous diet. Or maybe she got used to her own “drying” and does not want to accept another.
The dog refuses to eat: what to do
One of the main tasks of dog owners is to create a balanced diet for their pet. They must receive all the necessary nutrients from food. There should be no deficiency of vitamins, macro- and microelements. It is important to maintain the correct ratio of proteins, fats and carbohydrates. This largely depends on the breed. Someone needs more protein and calcium, others a certain amount of fat.
Composing a diet is a serious task. To do this, you can contact the specialists. But sometimes pets have digestive problems. If the dog refuses to eat, then this may indicate the presence of certain problems. It is not worth sounding the alarm right away. Sometimes it is just a mild malaise. In this article, we will list the most common reasons for rejection. But remember that only a qualified specialist can make an accurate diagnosis.
The dog does not eat: what to do?
Why a dog doesn‘t eat: what diseases can lead to it
- helminths. if a four-footed person has caught worms somewhere, then this can have a bad effect on the quality of life. Therefore, it is important for owners to timely carry out prophylaxis against parasites. As a rule, the procedure is carried out every six months or a year. Signs of this ailment can be a bloated stomach and lethargy.
- dental problems. you need to carefully monitor the health of the oral cavity of the quadruped. Tartar erodes enamel over time and leads to tooth loss. And then the dog does not eat well simply because it hurts to chew. Today, you can find many products for the care of teeth for dogs on sale. There are also special procedures for cleaning tartar.
- Oral Injury. Examine this area carefully for damage. If present, it may be painful for the dog to chew and eat.
- upset stomach. poisoning is a very serious problem. Don’t let your dog climb the trash cans or grab something outside. This is dangerous and can be fatal. If there is a reason to believe that the dog has poisoning. urgently see a specialist. Serious indicator. the pet does not eat or drink
- health problems. poor appetite may indicate the presence of a number of diseases in the quadruped. For example: with the thyroid gland, cardiovascular system, lungs, oncology. To avoid this, it is important to take your pet to the clinic for examination every year.
The dog refuses to eat: what could be the reason
Like humans, animals also have various psychological problems. This is reflected in the same way in nutrition. Think you yourself may not be able to eat because of the excitement.
The following psychological problems can affect appetite:
- depression. yes, yes, and this ailment occurs in dogs. During such periods, the dog feels depressed and loses interest in everything. Various factors can cause a similar condition. Very often. moving or changing the place of residence. And also separation from the owner
- anxiety is among the common reasons for refusing to eat. Most often, her dog feels when the owners leave for a while. In addition, external factors can frighten the dog. For example a thunderstorm
- sexual passivity. especially in males. For a long time, has a pet been unable to realize its natural instinct? This affects his quality of life. Most likely, he will refuse not only to eat, but also to play, to walk.
Often, if the dog is not eating due to psychological problems, then its condition can be stabilized simply and quickly. To do this, it is necessary to provide the four-legged rest. There should also be enough attention from the person or the opposite sex. But if the problem persists for a long time, then hurry to the vet.
The dog does not eat: when to sound the alarm
In general, dogs can skip meals. And this does not always indicate a problem. But if more than 36 hours have passed, it’s best to call your veterinarian. Have you noticed that your pet has a fever, vomiting, pain syndrome, he refuses water, has a temperature? Or, for a long time, constipation or diarrhea?
Then urgently take the four-legged to the clinic!
What to do if your dog is not eating
You know your dog the best, so watch him. Are there any changes in behavior? If so, what can they testify to? How strange and dangerous they are to health?
- Some dogs are picky about their food. Try not feeding them for 12 hours or a day. Another option is to offer different food.
- You can warm up food. there are dogs that prefer warm food
- Even if the pet does not eat, then it must have free access to clean water.
- Make sure your four-footed friend does not eat anything off the floor or outside. And from waste bins in the yard or a trash can at home, even more so!
Be considerate of your dog. Monitor the quality of his food. If you notice something strange and doubt whether it is a serious reason or not, it is better to play it safe and consult a veterinarian. The main thing is not to panic. We wish your pet good health and longevity!
Why the dog refuses to eat?
There can be several situations and, accordingly, reasons when a dog eats poorly dry, and each should be considered in more detail.
- The pet switches from regular “human” food to dry granules. The main catch here is usually that the transition is simply going wrong. By the way, we have already talked about how to properly train a dog to eat dry food in one of our previous publications, which we recommend that you familiarize yourself with.
- You have changed the brand of feed. If the dog is already accustomed to crunchy granules, then it may well abandon a new variety of food for itself, for example, when switching from premium food to inexpensive weighed out of unknown origin.
- You motivate your pet with treats. Often, the owners, who discover that the pet refuses to eat, begin to pamper him with sweets mixed with ordinary food, or even give food from his hand. A dog is not a stupid creature and quickly realizes that instead of regular food, you can easily get something more tasty or a portion of attention. Especially often this behavior is observed in dogs of decorative breeds.
- The pet sometimes gets food from the table. In general, dogs are not very picky about a variety of food and can eat the same food for months, but if at least occasionally you give your pet food from the table, he can understand that there are much tastier types of food than what usually lies in bowl. This is one of the reasons why mixed meals (dry food and regular food) are not recommended.
- The four-legged friend eats enough. A dog can refuse dry food simply from satiety, because much less regular food is required to saturate it. An inexperienced owner will try to give food in about the same quantities and with the same frequency as natural food, but a well-fed dog, of course, will refuse part of the food offered.
- The dog is sick. Often, various diseases are the reason for refusal. These can be diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, diseases of the teeth and gums, or a common cold. In this case, you should pay attention to the behavior and, if the pet looks lethargic, be sure to contact the veterinarian.
- The pet lacks activity. With a lack of movement and a complete absence of games, for example, if the owner is constantly at work and practically does not devote time to the dog, it becomes apathetic and may well refuse to eat.
- The dog is under stress. Sometimes, eating disorders can be triggered by stress. Its reasons are very different: from changing the brand of the food itself and adapting after moving to the appearance of other pets or a child in the house.
Dog eats dry food poorly: why and what to do?
Often, pets with their behavior literally confuse their owners: it would seem that everything was fine, but suddenly the dog began to eat poorly dry food, which she liked so much. And the most unpleasant thing is that the four-legged friend simply cannot explain the reasons for this behavior, so one has only to guess what caused such changes in behavior. Let’s try to figure out the possible causes of this problem and ways to solve it.
What to do?
So, you have identified the main reasons that the dog does not eat dry food well. How to fix the situation?
- If the malnutrition is caused by a change in diet, then two options are possible: return to the previous type of food (including natural food) or insist on your own. In the second case, it is recommended to strictly limit access to food and set a bowl of food twice a day at the same time for 15-20 minutes. Dogs can go without food for 2-3 days without harm to health, so in this way you can quite easily organize a strict diet and prevent attempts to refuse food in favor of various goodies. Of course, you will have to control yourself and not give in to feelings, no matter how your pet tries to pity you.
- For nutrition, it is worth using only high-quality premium or super-premium food (you can learn more about the classes here), it is quite possible that the refusal to eat is caused by poor-quality ingredients or an unpleasant taste or smell of cheap food that cannot be captured by the human sense of smell.
- It is also recommended to increase the activity of the pet. Try to walk regularly with him and be sure to take a toy with you so that the dog can not only walk with you, but also work up an appetite by splashing out energy in the game. It is quite possible to play with animals of small breeds right in the apartment.
- Stress is the hardest part. First, you need to identify the cause. Secondly, try to eliminate it or, if this is not possible, support the dog by giving it more attention. It should be understood that in some cases, adaptation can take quite a long time. You can also resort to using special natural sedatives, but without the recommendation of a veterinarian, it is better not to do this.
And the last, universal advice. do not scold the animal for refusing to eat. The feeding process should bring positive emotions to the dog, and raising the voice can cause a completely opposite effect, that is, filling the bowl itself will be associated with the owner’s dissatisfaction. Better to just pet the dog and leave him alone, even if he has not touched food.
Diseases that provoke a lack of appetite
- Bowel disease. enteritis. Accompanied by vomiting and diarrhea, fever.
- The presence of a foreign body in the body. Accompanied by refusal to eat, vomiting of undigested food, loose stools, or, conversely, constipation.
- Volvulus. A classic sign is bloating.
- Intussusception. intestinal obstruction. Signs: refusal to eat, gagging with blood, problems with stool
- Renal or liver failure, gastritis, or stomach ulcer.
- Bad teeth, wounds on the gums or mouth, foreign body in the mouth (such as a stuck bone).
What to do if your dog is not eating and is sluggish
Good appetite is an indicator of your pet’s health. Therefore, if the dog does not eat well, only drinks water or does not drink at all, this is a call for the owner to pay attention to the health of the animal. There can be many reasons why a dog stopped eating: from stress and moods to serious problems with the digestive tract. Therefore, it is desirable for each owner to know them so that it is clear how to act in this case. Let’s analyze the reasons and what to do if the dog does not eat.
Sometimes the animal arranges for itself an artificial hunger strike. a fasting day, when it eats less or does not eat at all, but at the same time the pet is active and healthy. The owner needs to worry when the hunger strike lasts more than one day and the pet looks lethargic.
What tests will help determine the disease
The exact answer to the question of why a dog does not eat anything can be given by a veterinarian after certain tests have been performed. Usually, experts conduct the following analyzes:
- general blood analysis
- X-ray (will show there are tumors)
- Ultrasound (for diagnosing the state of internal organs)
- Addison’s disease test.
What should the owner do if the dog does not eat?
If the dog stops eating, what should the owner do? The first step is to determine if food refusal is normal or abnormal. For example, if a dog is lethargic, vomits, he does not even drink water, then this is not normal. You should come to grips with the health of your pet. If this lasts more than one day, you need to contact a specialist for help.
If the dog does not eat and is lethargic, and also vomits, this may be a sign of the presence of worms in the body. Also pay attention to the nature of the vomiting. Yellow and with bile can indicate that the animal has eaten grass during a walk and thus cleans the stomach. Excess bile in the body can also indicate poor nutrition. In this case, the animal must be transferred to a special diet.
If the animal vomits with blood, you should immediately contact the veterinarian. If the vomit of the animal contains undigested food, this indicates intestinal problems. An old dog can show cancer in this way.
The owner should also sound the alarm if a large amount of water comes out with vomiting. This is how the animal’s body becomes dehydrated.
If the dog does not eat anything, only drinks water, this may indicate the presence of a disease of the digestive tract. In this case, the animal may not eat at all or eats poorly, while it needs to replenish its fluid reserves. If the dog has not eaten for 4 days or more, it is imperative to show it to the doctor.
If your dog has stopped eating, consider if he has been under severe stress recently. Even a long separation from the owner or moving can be the reason why the animal refuses to eat. In this case, you need to wait a while, and the appetite will return on its own.
New and unusual food can also be the reason why your dog is not eating well. You can exclude unloved foods from the pet’s diet, and the appetite should resume.
The dog does not eat: reasons
The dog stopped eating. there may be several reasons why this happened. For example, she has pain while eating due to a broken tooth or gum problems. An ear infection can often cause an animal’s aversion to food. Also, the reasons may not be related to health. The animal is naughty, makes itself a fasting day, or is it just such a period. First of all, the owner needs to find out why the animal refuses to eat.
The following signs will help to check that the pet is in pain:
- the animal is trembling or breathing heavily;
- he has a hunched back; have vomiting or diarrhea;
- the dog is sluggish and irritable;
- the pet sleeps for a long time and does not drink water;
- high fever, dry nose.
Lack of appetite may be associated with diseases of the digestive tract, kidneys.
If your dog hasn’t eaten anything for several days, you should see your veterinarian. A specialist should do a blood test, ultrasound, or x-ray. Analyzes will help identify the presence of tumors, check internal organs and determine the general condition of the body.
When a lack of appetite is the norm
In some cases, the dog does not eat or drink for natural reasons, and the owner does not need to do anything. Consider when this happens:
- the period of estrus in bitches (while the animal does not eat well, only drinks water; appetite should normalize after the end of the cycle; if not, you should contact your veterinarian.);
- puppies during growth (appetite disappears and appears)
- period of tooth growth (the dog does not eat anything or eats badly, what should the owner do. give the pet soft food at this time)
- hot weather (during this time the dog refuses to eat and only drinks water)
- new food (if the dog suddenly stops eating, check to see if it has recently changed its diet or introduced new additives)
- the whims of the animal (the dog may refuse to eat due to the presence of some unloved food in it)
The dog does not eat: general recommendations
If the dog stops eating, the owner should try to whet his appetite. To do this, advise:
- actively walk the pet (the animal may have low physical activity and because of this there is no desire to eat)
- skip 1-2 feeds (at the same time, do not change the diet, do not follow the pet’s lead, giving something tasty)
- slightly change the diet (for example, change cereals).
- add fish to the diet (10 minutes before a meal, give the dog a piece of salted fish. This will affect his appetite).
And you can also try a trick. to give a portion of the animal to another pet. These methods will help to regain appetite if the animal is healthy.
General feeding rules
Pay more attention to your pet, calm down and talk to him. this will help to cope with stress.
If you changed your diet, go back to your previous diet. And it is worth introducing all new products gradually so that the pet gets used to them.
Follow the feeding rules: Give the animal food at the same time. Remove the bowl after the pet has eaten. no need to allow him to come to the plate several times.
If your dog doesn‘t eat anything and vomits, be sure to show it to your veterinarian. Do not over tighten. Better to diagnose the disease at an early stage.
Why the dog doesn‘t eat. sooner or later every owner asks such a question. The appetite of an animal, like a person, can disappear for various reasons. For example, a pet is upset and does not eat well. Also, the reason why the appetite has disappeared may be commonplace: the pet is naughty and thus wants to get something tasty. On the other hand, the animal may be sick with something, and therefore it refuses to eat. In such cases, the owner needs to be very careful: observe the pet’s behavior and activity, remember what he fed him the day before, whether he ate something on the street, and so on. If the dog is lethargic, does not eat or drink for several days, you need to see a doctor. If there are no other signs of the disease, the dog is not sluggish, active, cheerful, then you can wait a little, skip one feeding, work up an appetite or tease the pet with a salty fish.
The main task of the owner is not to leave this business to chance. It is imperative to act: monitor the pet and analyze the situation. Correct identification of the causes of the hunger strike is the key to a quick elimination of the problem.
What to do if your dog doesn‘t eat dry food?
When looking for a solution to this problem, the main thing is to correctly determine the reason for the refusal.
First, I’ll list the implicit reasons:
Satiety. the pet simply does not want to eat, it is not hungry. If it is hot at home or the dog walks a little, there is little activity and brain work, then the energy is not wasted. The dog comes up to the bowl, fumbles, eats a couple of pellets and leaves. And since at the same time she is not at all averse to eating something tasty from your hands, you decide. something is wrong! During periods when the dog is less physically active, the portion size should be reduced. In the feeding table on the package, the average gramme is indicated, and the dog will eat a different amount of pellets every day, depending on the mood, weather, and hunger.
Why my dog doesn‘t eat when I feed
It is not for nothing that manufacturers share food for puppies, active dogs, aging. All categories have different levels of energy and nutrient requirements, which determines the composition of the diet. If you bought your regular dog a specialized food with high m of fat, then the dog will either malnourish the portion or start to get fat.
Wrong Portion. As mentioned above, each feed has its own daily ration. It is not necessary to give more than the specified rate. Maybe the first time the dog will eat a full bowl, but then, feeling the whole weight of what has been swallowed, it will be moderate. If you have just transferred your pet from a natural and cannot come to terms with the size of the ration, just fill the daily rate with water and see how much it swells. The same food becomes in the digestive tract. It is for this reason that the animal must have plenty of fresh water for the granules to absorb moisture.
Refuses completely or eats very little:
I’m tired of it. Indeed, how much you can eat the same thing! If you have not changed the main ingredient of the food for six months or a year (for example, you always bought chicken), then gradually the dog’s appetite will wane. There should be variety in the diet, dog handlers and veterinarians advise changing the main ingredient every 3-6 months. Also remember that long-term feeding with only one type of protein can cause a cumulative allergic reaction.
Not tasty. This can also be. Occurs when at first you bought food containing artificial flavors and flavor enhancers, and then switched to a different type, of higher quality, with natural ingredients. The way to fight is patience. Now he doesn‘t want to eat it in the evening.
There is an alternative. This reason is from the area of improper upbringing. You decided to transfer the dog to drying, put a bowl for it. But she proudly refuses to eat crackers. Taking pity on the “hunger”, you gave her another tasty meal. The pet grasps the cause-effect on the fly, and then it will stubbornly bend its line, forcing you to cook porridge with meat for it. To put the dog in its place, eliminate any handouts. If you haven’t eaten the food now, then you will eat it in the evening or tomorrow (put the bowl for 15-20 minutes, then remove it). Remember that a healthy medium to large dog can go without food for at least two days without health consequences.
The food is spoiled. This reason is more difficult to “track down”, since bad food in your opinion will not differ from good. There are bad lots, improper storage, broken packaging, etc. When the dog refuses a portion for no apparent reason, buy another small pack and see the result.
Unusual food. This reason comes out if you incorrectly made the transition from one brand to another or from natural to drying. The dog comes up to the bowl and sees not the usual oval granules, but dark triangular ones that smell differently. Suspicious dogs won’t eat “just in case”.
Inappropriate. The food may not be suitable for the dog in the following parameters: granule size, composition, taste and smell. If it is difficult for an animal to chew the granules (large, small), then it will be malnourished or refuse them. The dog may simply not like the smell and taste of the food, it will eat it through force and only when hungry. If you have problems with stool after eating, it is better to change the food.
Here are some serious reasons:
Disease. I’m sure you know from your own experience. when you feel unwell, you don’t feel like eating at all. This is a natural instinct, the body needs to mobilize all forces to fight and spend them on digestion is unreasonable. It is quite easy to tell by the dog that it is not well. it is lethargy, change in usual behavior, refusal to eat. Follow the diet recommended by your veterinarian during illness.
Stress. With strong excitement, a sharp change in environment, moving, the appearance of new family members, the dog loses its appetite. Almost always, on trips, the dog eats less than usual (especially if they happen rarely). In this case, it is enough to wait a day or two without forcing the dog. Having got used to the new conditions, the pet will return to its normal diet.
Often the owners ask if it is possible that the dog will refuse any food and will never start eating it? If the dog is healthy, does not have allergies, then it will eat dry food. Perhaps you won’t find the right brand the first time. A pet can refuse, for a “good” reason, only a few brands (unpleasant smell, uncomfortable shape, spoiled), but if in principle it does not eat any, then the problem is spoiledness. Knowing that you will give up and feed him straight, the dog will be firm in rejection.
And finally, in order to avoid problems, approach the process of switching from natural to drying wisely. Transfer dogs to a new type of food within two weeks, gradually replacing part of the old food with a new one.
After reading the article, you realized that there are many reasons for refusing to feed. And in order to achieve a good appetite, you need to be attentive and patient.
Titova Ekaterina (instructor of the Doggy Center)
What to do if your dog refuses to eat dry food
Some owners notice that not all animals like dry food, while the neighbor’s pet happily eats the assigned portion and licks the bowl to the last crumb. But this particular dog does not eat dry food. Why did she stop paying attention to him? Or why does she eat it badly, being hungry? It is necessary to find out the reasons for this strange behavior and look for ways to solve the problem. There is no need to look for an answer to the question of how to get a pet to eat what he does not like; it is important to train your dog to eat dry food. These are two big differences.!
Ways to solve the problem
No matter how scary the factors leading to the refusal to eat, there are always ways to solve the problem. What to do to not only force the dog, but also to accustom him to dry food?
First, remember that the transition from natural to industrial food must be gradual.
The animal’s digestive system adapts to a new type of food after 2 weeks.
If the question is how to get a dog to eat dry food, then the owner should mix industrial food with natural food. Every day a quarter of the serving is replaced with granules until they completely replace the natural. If the dog does not eat the pellets well, then you can pre-soak them with boiled water. Some of the owners soak them in yogurt or kefir. This will be especially useful for babies. You just need to make sure that the mixture of granules and fermented milk products does not lead to a disorder of the digestive system.
How to train, or at least force, a dog to eat dry food? You need to buy premium feed. Yes, they are expensive! But the quality of industrial pellets is the highest. Therefore, such food will not harm the pet.
Finally, it is highly discouraged to leave a bowl of food freely available. The pet should have a strict diet and fixed portions. If the animal has not eaten in the morning, then there is nothing wrong with sitting hungry until the evening, no. You just need to remember that the portion in this case should not be increased. You cannot give in to your emotions and feel sorry for the poor man who did not eat once. Dogs may not eat at all for several days. Usually, the appetite in the absence of any ailment returns on the second day. When the dog began to eat, you need to praise him and let him calmly eat.
The portion must be strictly fixed.
Veterinarians say pets should associate food intake with positive emotions. If the dog refuses to eat, the owner often swears, which in turn causes nervousness in the animal. In the future, this negative experience will affect the pet’s nutrition.
Reasons for refusing dry food
It happens that it is through the fault of the owner that the dog refuses to “dry”. What the dog breeder does wrong?
- If initially the pet is used to eating natural food, and then, due to various circumstances, they offer him “drying”, naturally, he will refuse. Not a single dry food can match the taste of natural food. Of course, you can force your pet to switch to a dry diet.
- If the dog does not eat dry food, although it used to eat only dry food, then the reason for the refusal may be a sharp change in brand or poor quality of the food purchased. A person may not distinguish a fake from a premium food, but a dog’s sense of smell is extremely difficult to carry out.
- Many small breeds are, by definition, picky about food. When the owner sees that the pet is eating poorly or even refuses to touch the bowl, he offers her various options: hand-feed, give something tasty. Dogs are not stupid: they understand that if they are capricious, the generous owner will give you a treat. What to do in this case? Try to teach your pet to eat either dry food or natural food.
- If the pet has ceased to “pay attention” to dry food, perhaps she is fed up with the taste that she has been feeling for a certain period. Some owners soak “drying” with yogurt or kefir, and when they stop doing this, the dog understands: something is wrong. Natural reaction: “I will not eat it”.
- If the dog refuses to eat dry food, the owner should think about what to do to correct the situation. Too large portions may be the root cause of refusal to eat. It must be remembered that dry food is required much less than natural.
- If the pet has stopped using “drying”, then perhaps her sedentary lifestyle is the reason. When the dog does not waste its energy, it becomes lethargic and indifferent to entertainment. Bottom line: decreased appetite.
- If the pet does not eat the “drying” well or refuses it, then the reason for the refusal is possible health problems. Diseases of the oral cavity, inflamed gums, runny nose. not only does all this interfere with a normal diet, but it leads to a decreased appetite. Many internal diseases can lead to the same result.
How to prevent refusal from “drying”?
In order not to wonder why the dog stopped eating dry food, you need to try to prevent this process. When choosing a feed, it is necessary to take into account the characteristics of a particular animal and its state of health.
Usually manufacturers offer whole lines of feed, which are divided:
- by class: economy, premium, super premium. The different quality of each type naturally affects the price.
- by calorie content: for active and sedentary dogs.
- for pets of various breeds.
It is clear that the lapdog refuses to eat pellets for the Rottweiler. But if she stopped eating her usual food, you can try to accustom her to another. Variety in an animal’s diet is just as important. It must be remembered that you need to gradually switch from one type of granules to another.
A large bowl of water should be left in the dog’s line of sight. The water should be changed twice a day.
What to do if the dog does not eat dry food well? After a walk, the pet’s appetite increases. A walk is not only about going to the toilet. This is an opportunity to frolic, waste your energy, prevent the development of stagnant processes in the body, and maintain normal functioning of internal organs. This is especially true for large animals.
The question of whether a dog does not eat dry food, how to force it or what to do to teach it to eat just this type of food torments many dog breeders. One tip is not to put too many pellets in the bowl. If after 15 minutes there is something left in the bowl, it should be removed from the line of sight. The next time you need to add less.
What if the pet does not want to get used to the new diet? In the absence of contraindications, you need to show firmness. No pity, no hand feeding, no sweets, so long as the animal does not remain hungry. Believe me, very soon the dog will understand what’s what and will begin to manipulate its owner.
The improper lifestyle of the animal can provoke a situation when the dog has stopped eating dry food; here’s what to do in this case? If you can’t get her to get used to “drying”, maybe still switch to natural food? But you need to be prepared for the fact that you will have to spend much more time feeding your pet.