The reasons for this behavior
Before implementing methods aimed at solving the problem, the owner must understand why an adult or a puppy is afraid to walk on the street. The most common factors that can provoke such a phobia, zoopsychologists include:
- Traumatic experience associated with strong experiences in the past. It can relate to both physiological and psychological aspects. The pet could be hit by a car, hit by a passer-by, or frightened by a scene of violence. As a result, the sound of a passing car or the figure of a stranger can evoke painful experiences in the dog’s memory, due to which he may not like to walk in the yard.
- Bad weather conditions. Most dog breeders believe that the only thing the dog wants is to jump out the door of the apartment and run around to his heart’s content. And it doesn‘t matter what the weather is outside the window. rain, snow, strong wind or hellish heat. But in fact, barking friends are selective in this regard, especially this applies to those breeds that are distinguished by short hair. Severe cold or excessive humidity give them a lot of inconvenience, so if the dog does not want to walk, and clouds are gathering outside, then it is better to put aside the leash and take him out for a walk a little later.
- It is important to understand that if a dog is afraid of people, then it is not surprising that it wants to avoid places that are full of them. This behavior is caused by the fact that in the past the animal has suffered abuse from its previous owners. Attentive owners may notice that their shaggy friend willingly goes for a walk at an early time, when the streets are still empty and there are few passers-by, and in the evening, on the contrary, he becomes stubborn and hides under the bed.
- Low level of socialization. Zoopsychologists are convinced that if a puppy does not want to leave the house once again, then the reason often lies in the fact that he has practically no developed socialization skill. This is often the sin of careless breeders, who early separated a puppy from his brothers and sisters. Also, the problem manifests itself in pets taken from shelters for stray dogs, where the baby was kept in isolation. As a result, he considers strangers and his fellow tribesmen to be menacing figures capable of harming him.
- Diseases of the musculoskeletal system cause unbearable suffering to the pet. He can hardly move around the house, let alone the street. Each movement causes severe pain in the dog’s body, therefore, over time, he has a fear of walking, as in front of something painful and fraught with difficulties.
- Older age is another factor why a dog is not keen on walking. During the aging process, visual acuity and hearing become dull, which makes the dog helpless. Dogs are afraid of fast moving objects that they can’t hear, so they panic and get off the leash.
- Zoological psychologists have found that in some cases the puppy does not want to walk because it has an innate weak nervous system that reacts too sharply to stimuli such as light, sound, strong odors.
The owner must clearly understand that if his animal is not mentally stable, is capable of jumping off the leash or rushing at passers-by, then you should not try to correct its behavior on your own. Be sure to seek help from an experienced dog handler or a qualified animal psychologist. Elimination of fears “at home” is possible only in the case of puppies, an adult without special knowledge and skills cannot be relieved of a persistent phobia.
Why is a dog afraid to walk on the street and what to do
Walking a pet is a mandatory procedure, during which he learns the world around him, gets to know his fellow tribesmen, fulfills natural needs and develops physically. But what should the owner do if the dog is afraid to walk on the street and every exit from the house turns into a tragedy? The dog huddles into the far corner, the owner gets nervous, begins to drag him outside the door by force, as a result, a bad mood is provided for both the furry friend and his “leader”. The article will analyze in detail the fear of a four-footed fidget associated with going for a walk, and also offer effective options for getting rid of such a phobia.
Methods of exposure
So what if your dog is afraid to go outside? The first step is to establish a strong and trusting relationship with your dog. Until she sees him as her protector and “leader”, there is nothing to hope for any serious shifts in correcting her behavior. The next step will be the systematic application of the recommendations of zoopsychologists, which include:
- If the puppy is afraid to go for a walk, then be sure to purchase a tray for him, where he can relieve his natural needs at home. Over time, with its help, you can successfully train the puppy to leave the apartment. This procedure is extremely simple. the owner just needs to move the tray to the front door every day until he is outside of it. The animal, accordingly, will follow him, which will facilitate the process of overcoming the phobia.
- If your dog is afraid of walking because of uncomfortable accessories, buy him a long leash and a comfortable leather collar. Make sure that it fits snugly around the pet’s neck and does not choke him. Discomfort can also occur due to a leash that is too short, which prevents the dog from calmly exploring the space.
- Cynologists are convinced that with the help of games and affectionate treatment it is extremely easy to force the animal to go out into the yard. Address your dog with a cheerful and joyful voice: “Let’s go for a walk” or “Do you want to play?”. While doing this, pet your pet or give him some of your favorite treats. Motivate a furry friend to walk and his fears will quickly disappear.
- An excellent option for a shy pet is hunger. Do not feed the animal before walking and then lure it out with goodies. The instinct to satisfy hunger is inherent in the dog by nature itself, and it is stronger than any phobia. The only disadvantage of the method is that it is customary to walk with a four-legged friend after lunch, and not in front of him.
- Dogs that are afraid of loud noises need to be walked away from intense stimuli for the first time. Choose a quiet park or wasteland where your pet will gradually learn to tolerate the squeals and horns of passing cars. If a young individual is afraid of noise, then more often take it to the balcony, let it get used to the “soundtrack” of the big city.
- Experts advise owners to take a closer look at the personal preferences of their animals. It so happens that the dog walks calmly in the dark, and arranges a “concert”, as soon as the owner grabs the leash during the day. Consider this aspect in ridding your pet of the fear of walking.
- Another good method is to wait until the moment when the dog itself would want to go out into the yard. The owner can ask a friend who has a dog to come with him to his house, and then go outside together. The pet needs to be left at home, but give him the opportunity to see that his owner will have fun and play with someone else’s animal. Zoopsychologists are sure that the feeling of jealousy is inherent in dogs no less than in humans, and if you skillfully play it, then the fear of a walk will disappear forever.
Finally, I would like to say that a dog who is afraid of walking loses a lot in life. Such animals are not physically developed, are deprived of the joy of playing with the “leader”, shun their fellow tribesmen and have an unbalanced disposition. It is necessary to accustom a pet to a walk from an early age, when its psyche has the necessary degree of flexibility to assimilate everything that the owner is trying to instill in him. If you miss this favorable time, then retraining the dog will be much more difficult.
Why the dog doesn‘t want to walk
Most dogs are delighted as soon as the owner’s hand reaches for the leash and collar. What to do if your pet is not happy with the walk or refuses to go outside?
Almost all owners are well aware of the dangers of food allergies, but a dog’s body can be highly reactive to dust, pollen and other bloom products. If your dog is allergic, during the flowering period, it may become unwell for a walk. Visually, this may not be noticed, but the symptoms of allergy will make themselves felt:
- Swelling of the mucous membranes.
- Unlocalized itching.
- Decreased appetite.
- Excessive discharge from the eyes and nose.
- Cough, shortness of breath, and other breathing problems.
- Skin irritation, up to and including hives.
- Rarely and only in severe allergies. nausea, vomiting, diarrhea.
Allergy is a disease that is almost impossible to cure. The negative effect of allergens can be stopped with antihistamines. The only thing you can hope for is the spontaneous relief of allergies, with high-quality support from the body, this happens often.
Arthritis and other diseases of the musculoskeletal system
Joint inflammation is a common condition in dogs, especially in older dogs. With arthritis, the following symptoms are observed:
- The dog tries to move less.
- Weight gain due to decreased activity.
- The pet is reluctant to walk up the stairs.
- There is lameness, whining, and other signs of discomfort when the dog gets up from sleep.
Dysplasia of the elbow and hip joints. The problem is that most dogs are prone to dysplasia from birth. Symptoms:
- It is difficult for the dog to rise after sleep.
- Until the pet disperses, it has a wobbly gait. With dysplasia of the hip joints, a rabbit gait may be observed.
- If left untreated, the condition slowly but steadily worsens.
- With the slightest weight gain, the dog begins to avoid any activities.
- It is difficult for a pet to jump, maneuver on the run, climb stairs.
The main problem with dysplasia is that it cannot be treated.
Domestic dogs are completely dependent on the daily routine and pace of life of the owner. Due to the ability to adapt, within a short period of time, the dog’s body begins to work at a “convenient” pace for it. It is thanks to this feature that adult pets tolerate the toilet and do not feel acute hunger between feedings.
Most owners, whose dogs abruptly refuse to walk, immediately suspect the disease. There is some truth in these suspicions, especially if the dog has become suddenly apathetic.
The first thing to do if the dog refused to go for a walk is:
- Surface examination. check the condition of the coat, skin, paws, claws, eyes, ears, mouth.
- Examining the mucous membranes.
- Checking the temperature of the mucous membranes and body.
- We monitor appetite and drinking regimen.
- Palpating the joints and abdominal region of the dog.
If you are convinced that your dog is physically healthy, but he still refuses to go for walks, think about what negative emotions can affect the pet’s decision.
Experience shows that a dog’s moral fear of the street can have the following reasons:
- Owner’s behavior is too rude or harsh.
- Recent stress. fight with another dog, fear, punishment.
- Visual impairment. With age, many dogs develop retinal atrophy, which leads to partial blindness at dusk. If the dog refuses to go for an evening walk, we recommend that you contact your veterinarian and examine your pet’s eyes.
- Phobias. many dogs are afraid of loud noises, cars, larger relatives, strangers.
- Bad weather. many, especially fluffy dogs, do not like to walk in rainy or windy weather. If your pet is cold or uncomfortable in bad weather, consider buying a raincoat or other clothing.
- Hot weather. in summer, walking for a pet can be torture, especially in the evening, when the asphalt is very hot. Make it a rule to check the temperature of the road surface before taking your dog out for a walk.
Good day! I have an English Bulldog puppy, 5 months old, boy. The situation is this: getting ready for the street for the dog turns into something terrible: he huddles under the sofa, tries to rest against going into the corridor, and runs away. luring with a delicacy also does not help. even if the dog takes it, it immediately spits it out.
We lower him down the stairs on our hands so as not to pull strongly and not injure even more, he himself does not go anywhere. but when we put it near the entrance door, he happily runs into the street, where he actively walks, plays with other dogs and all that jazz. what is the situation I can not understand. he used to leave the apartment himself, after a walk he went to the bath and sat down next to her, now he sits in the corridor and cannot be moved from his place
Most likely, the dog was frightened at the entrance or unintentionally created an unpleasant situation, the repetition of which he is trying to avoid. By your actions, you aggravate the situation (catch, drag from under the sofa.). You need to act in tiny steps. they opened the door (let him understand that an open door is not dangerous) stood and closed it, then went out to the staircase. stood a little and went home, and so on.
Do not accentuate your preparations for a walk (took a leash, a collar and went to catch the dog). This situation can be mitigated. an hour before the walk, they put on a collar and let the dog go, after a while they fastened the leash and let him drag after the dog, get dressed and go, say, to drink tea. Go out for a walk unexpectedly for the dog (so she cannot calculate the time).
You’d better consult with the trainer by phone 8 (965) 318 3246 (consultations are free).
We have a similar situation with the bulldog we go out into the street once a day by deception or force)) he himself was noticed! But it’s useless to fight ” everyone tried!
I have a Bernese Shepherd dog today, he did not go out into the street and it surprised me a lot, she just burst out before: she scraped the doors, bit the clothes and pulled to the door! And now I don’t know, she just may have nothing to foreshadow her to drive out!
Please, if anyone knows what the problem is, please report!
Good day. We have a four month old Shar Pei girl. We only moved her yesterday, and I understand that the dog needs time to adopt. It is alarming that she is extremely reluctant to go for a walk, and on the street does not leave us a single centimeter, literally, gets confused in her legs and. obvious. gets no pleasure from the walk. It reacts cautiously to other dogs, as well as to humans. Really, when she grows up nothing will change??
Dog behavior changes with age. You just need to devote time to social adaptation. Don’t force your puppy to interact with other dogs. Let her take an interest. Be careful not to be frightened or injured. Choose partners in the game that are suitable for her in temperament and age. And in the end everything will be fine.
I have a Russian spaniel dog. Previously, I went for a walk with pleasure, but now, when I see a leash, it’s a sofa. You try to pull it out. Every day, the same treats do not help.!
Hello, I have such a situation. My dog does not like to walk. Although at first she sits at the doorstep, waits, rejoices, and we go out for a walk, she will do all her business in 1 minute and runs home and does not want to walk. And it does not matter in summer or winter She just doesn‘t want to walk. How can I make her love and want to walk, run, play, sniff everything around like all ordinary dogs?
Hello, I have a 4 month old pug. He is going out into the street with pleasure, but as soon as he goes out he sits down and refuses to go for a walk. And neither does he move from his place, nor any persuasion. Tell me what could be the reason.
Hello, I have a Russian spaniel. The puppy 3.5 months old is very reluctant to walk out of the apartment to the elevator and walk calmly along the entrance and on the street he is hysterical (whines) and does not want to walk, but when we move further from the house into the woods walks well, can you tell me how to overcome these first meters ?? I will be grateful for the answer.
When Your Dog Stops On Walks
Switch his attention to his favorite toy, treat, in general, to the subject that interests him. Let’s say we take a toy, attract the attention of a puppy, start something like a game, who will pull whom and, without stopping the game, go out into the street. The toy can be replaced with a treat. Hold a piece of the treat firmly in your fingers, and while his attention is focused, while trying to get your favorite treat, you can walk to the place of your walk. It is important not to let him navigate, focus his attention on yourself, and in no case drag him on a leash.
Hello! A few days ago I took a girl from an orphanage. A mongrel for a year and a half, not big. She is already starting to get used to everything, but walks. it is an insurmountable obstacle. Every time she does not want to leave the apartment, she has to endure. Treats don’t help. From the entrance is the same. As soon as she goes outside, the first couple of tens of meters she runs contentedly, then she becomes rooted to the spot. This usually happens before the turn of the house. After the bend, it walks again normally until the next “invisible” section of the road. How to be? He is very afraid and resists.
Hello, my dog used to walk with my brother, after another walk she came to the scared since then I walk. But when I am going to walk with her, she starts hiding under the sofa and does not eat. I have to go ring the doorbell to get her out. And only then we go for a walk, but at the same time she does not do anything. She stands and looks at the guards, even afraid to go out into the entrance. Tell me what to do, it’s a pity to give it to the shelter.
Hello, I have a German shepherd dog, he normally puts on a pavadok and normally leaves the house, but then he sits on the spot and does not even try to zdvinsa, I have been dragging the dog with a leash for 2 days, but he still does not buzz so what to do?
Tell me, I have a pug for five months, he is going to run well, he is happy to go out into the street, he does not leave the house, he sits down and sits, they went out and enticed him to go with yummy food, but he doesn’t leave, he will eat and sit down
Good day! We have the following situation willingly only when we go out together, my wife and I! with each of us individually does not want to walk in any (((how to be?
Good day. We have an East European Shepherd puppy, 5 months old. And we have a problem with going out. He is with us relatively recently and for this he lived in an aviary. And I think that’s the problem. He loves to walk and walks normally in the entrance. On the street, he runs with other dogs, pretends to be in his place every time. But when it is necessary to go out, he lays down in his place and does not want to go to any. We carry it out in our arms. All would be fine, but at the same time he begins, excuse me, to write. Both the carpets and the floor will soon wear off as they have to be washed every day. We are trying to lure with food, but not in any. Tell me how to be?
I have a Jack Rusl Terrier. When pronouncing the word (walk). Her head looks sideways.
Hello. Ten days ago we had a puppy, a mestizo of a Dutch shepherd with. We live in a country house. Faced with the fact that the puppy is very resistant to going outside, most likely because of the cold. We assume that he was almost never on the street with his first owner. Accordingly, he does all his “affairs” at home and more often on the floor than on diapers or newspapers. Tell me how to act so as not to pull the puppy out by force. Thank you in advance. Stanislav.
Hello, I have an English bulldog, boy, 5 years old, last year I walked at least 50 meters, this year, all the festivities came down to peeing, pooping and home, maybe just standing and looking at people, but you just try to somehow to captivate or interest in a walk, immediately turn 360 degrees and go home, he flies like a madman. He sleeps at home, he can run up to the door and bark if there is someone there. But the paradox is that with strangers who have spoken to him, he is ready to go for a walk. I never offended him, I didn’t pull him by force, everything was done by persuasion, but nothing helps, I just don’t know what to do. He doesn’t move at all. Help, maybe someone knows how to get a bulldog interested in a walk!
Walking the dog: why some dogs don’t like to walk?
Dog Notes / Walking the Dog: Why Some Dogs Don’t Like to Walk?
Most dogs love walks: by the appointed hour, the approach of which they feel very well, they begin to jump near the front door, look into the owner’s eyes, whine and touch his paw on the knee. they say, it’s time to take a walk. and the smartest even bring a leash in their teeth.
However, there are dogs, every walk of which turns into torture for both the pet and the owner: the dog rests, sits down, lies down and does not want to leave the apartment in any way. even if you carry it out in your arms! As a result, many owners have to do this; but it is also good if we are talking about a Chihuahua, in extreme cases, a poodle. but what if a Great Dane or a Newfoundland declared a “strike”? Why some dogs flatly refuse to walk. and what to do about it?
If earlier the dog walked willingly, and then suddenly began to refuse to go out. the reason may be some event that happened during one of the walks, which scared the dog, caused it pain or discomfort. Perhaps she was frightened by a loud sound (the roar of the engine of a large car, the clapping of a firecracker) or another dog, hurt or twisted her paw. Try to remember if something like this has happened. your further actions will depend on this.
If a traumatic event really happened, take your pet out for a walk persistently but affectionately, encouraging him with words of approval and (if necessary) treats; start walking the dog on a different route, bypassing the place where the trouble happened. and it will gradually be forgotten. If you don’t remember anything like that, it’s probably something else.
Refusal to walk can be an indication of health problems. If your dog has joint or spinal pain, it won’t be able to complain to you that it is difficult for it to climb or descend stairs. but every walk will be torture for it. Take a close look at how your pet moves. Unexplained behavioral changes can also be a symptom of a false pregnancy. or thyroid problems: just in case, it is better to examine the dog and do all the necessary tests.
Doesn‘t want. because he doesn‘t want
Bad weather (rain, slush, frost) is a good enough reason not to be eager to go outside. Few people like to leave a warm apartment in this weather; and pets are as addicted to comfort as we are. Perhaps the dog simply does not like to freeze and get its paws dirty? In this case, you should take care of shoes and clothes for walking.
Sometimes giving up walking has nothing to do with walking as such. Perhaps there is no dog that would love a leash and. especially. a muzzle; if these items are invariable attributes of every walk, it is not surprising that the pet prefers to be at home. However, if the dog begins to growl at you when you try to fasten a leash or muzzle, this behavior should be calmly and consistently suppressed.
Treats and toys, good company, new interesting routes. there are many ways to help a dog fall in love with walks, but if none of them work, then you have to come to terms with this pet feature, because dogs are as individual as people.
Dog training: basic rules
Training a dog is like learning to talk to someone from another country. Both need to learn to understand each other’s language. We have three ways in which we can communicate, these are body language, voice and touch more.
Protectively. guard service of ZKS
ZKS is not ordinary dog training, these are not everyday commands to “sit”, “lie down”, “to me” and so on. A dog that has completed the course of ZKS becomes a weapon in the hands of its owner and is able to really protect “its” person more.
When a Dog Doesn‘t Want to Walk
General course of training OKD
The general course is great for training any companion dog. Only in OKD lessons, the owner (with the help of a trainer instructor) will be able to correctly assess the capabilities of his dog, understand how.
Nobody wants to communicate with me. Why??
Nobody wants to walk with me. Well, why should I???
I used to have a lot of friends, I went for a walk almost every day, now there is some kind of uncertainty. I agreed to take a walk with one friend, she fell ill, as if on evil, with the second, like norms, they were going for a walk today, I ask again: if you are going to walk, she writes that she doesn’t know. It’s a shame !! and this summer is called. well, why is that? other companies at 15-16 years old, I have very few friends. and then they don’t know each other. to introduce each other is not an option. advise what to do. all of me the first one I always call and offer to hum. They call me so rarely that even snow falls more often in Africa. and I seem to be a good person, it’s not bad for me.
Deal with it. For me, too, it all started with this, then I was left without friends at all. Walk alone. Buy videos.
Guest | 06/15/2011, 19:30:48  Guest
Deal with it. For me, too, it all started with this, then I was left without friends at all. Walk alone. Buy videos.
I won’t be like this, I’ll get out of my skin, but I’ll find myself a company, it’s clear??
Oh, don’t worry so much! You will have everything, the main thing is not to give up. And where did the rest of your friends go? Did they really say to you: WE DO NOT WANT TO WALK WITH YOU? Maybe you forgot about them?
well, I don’t know, it was like that for me too, there was always a maximum of one friend. but personal life has always been. and in general, friends with boys are more fun with them.
you live? I also need friends, so if you decide, I can give Asya)
do not try to put up with the fact that you have no one to walk with. look for your company!!
IF YOU HAVE A girlfriend or friend don’t want to walk to visit them, go
I have this for sure they say that they will call when they go out for a walk, and then I walk down the street and they sit for a walk, you know how badly you want to cry right away. I am a very vulnerable person, but what they do does not go into any gate !! WHAT TO DO HELP.
Life, how to contain envy
Nobody wants to communicate with me (
How to teach your husband a lesson?
Who should look after them?
Nobody wants to communicate with me, nobody is interested in me
With age, visual acuity and hearing dull, so the animal feels helpless. On a walk, he encounters various fast-moving objects that he does not really see or hear, which causes panic. You need to walk the shy aging dog in secluded and quiet places, away from cars, people and other dogs.
If the pet refuses to go beyond the threshold, and when it goes out, it feels extremely insecure on the street, looks around and, with its tail between its legs, weaves after the owner, while constantly striving to come back, then it is possible that something very frightened it. The event that frightened the dog could be a loud unexpected sound (siren, car horn, a firecracker bursting nearby, etc.), a threat to life (evil relatives or a cruel person, a passing car, etc.), an incomprehensible frightening object (a garbage bag that bounced off ball, etc.). The animal could get hurt and associate this pain with the walk.
First of all, you should find out the reason that caused the fear. Care should be taken to prevent this situation from reoccurring. You cannot forcefully pull the dog out into the street, you must try to persuade him and use a tasty treat to lure him out. For walking, you need to choose other routes where there will be no provoking factors. Scary places are best avoided. Then, gradually, in a calm state, you can bring the pet there and let him sniff the frightening object. You cannot force and drag the dog, this will only worsen the situation.
If the dog is following and does not want to walk, then something could scare her
Experienced dog handlers advise not to feed the stubborn before a walk, but to take the food with you. They lure the pet out of the house with the help of goodies, while on the street they give food only when he comes to a calm state. If a puppy or an adult dog flatly refuses to even approach the door, then a gradual habituation based on food addiction is used. The pet must learn not to perceive everything outside as dangerous and incomprehensible. For this, a bowl of food is placed at the threshold, then, if the feeding was successful, it is gradually moved outside the apartment.
In some especially severe cases, it is much easier and more effective to seek help from a qualified zoopsychologist who can quickly and professionally correct unwanted behavior.
For several years I calmly walked with my dog in the neighborhood. But one day she ran quite far into a nearby forest, where stray dogs attacked her. I was able to find the animal only after a few hours, it was bitten and terribly frightened, lying in the bushes. After that, the walk ceased to give pleasure to both of us. Petomitsa did not leave a step, constantly got underfoot and showed with all her appearance that she did not want to walk.
Not all canines are equally easy to tolerate bad weather. Some, especially the short-haired canine tribe, hate strong winds, cold and slush. To keep your pet warm and comfortable on a walk, you need to choose comfortable warm clothes (overalls, jacket, sweater, etc.), waterproof shoes and a hat.
The dog does not want to go for a walk: causes and solutions to the problem
Most dogs, having heard the coveted word “walk”, rush swiftly and happily towards the front doors. At the same time, some especially gifted individuals grab their own leash along the way. But sometimes the pet stubbornly does not want to understand the owner and does not react in any way to his calls.
Quite often, dogs are disturbed, uncomfortable and even painful by an incorrectly fitted muzzle. Some personalities dislike a roulette leash that constantly pulls on the collar. Dog harness should be chosen more carefully, use a harness and a regular leash.
Lack of interest
The pet may just get bored with the same familiar route through familiar to nausea places, while walking he is bored and uninteresting. Few people will like the dull walking at the foot. It is recommended to diversify the walking pastime: choose other roads, play and run with the dog, give it the opportunity to explore new territories and communicate with fellow tribesmen.
Improper or insufficient socialization, when the animal is afraid of everything new, can cause stress. This behavior is typical for puppies weaned too early from their mother, and taken from a pet shelter. Outdoor training should be done gradually, gradually showing the dog new and interesting things.
Some puppies and dogs taken from the shelter are afraid of everything.
You can not calm down a frightened dog and try to caress him, as this can be perceived by him as an encouragement of his behavior (at this moment he trembles with fear, tries to hide somewhere or run away).