How to wean a dog from barking at night
Experienced dog breeders and dog handlers recommend the following methods for owners of noisy pets to wean a dog from barking at night:
- From puppyhood, the dog must be taught to the command “Quiet”. Every time a dog barks for no reason, he is given the command “Quiet” and is encouraged with a treat or affection only if the animal stops barking. The command is given only if the pet’s behavior is not related to its performance of security functions (when barking at strangers, protecting property, etc.).
- An adult animal can be taught to be quiet using the “Quiet” or “Place” commands. Experienced dog handlers do not recommend using the command “No” or “Fu” to stop undesirable behavior.
- What should the owner do if the dog barks all night and the training methods are ineffective. Experienced dog breeders and dog handlers in such a situation resort to special devices in the form of collars. Accessories have a different mechanism of action on the dog. Collars can emit a weak electrical or ultrasonic pulse when the dog barks. Such devices are called “Antilay”.
Vibration-based accessories are available on the market. As soon as the dog starts barking, it is distracted by the “buzzing” of the collar. Collars with spray are also available. with voice vibrations, the device sprays odors unpleasant for the animal.
We recommend reading about why a dog is afraid of people. From the article you will learn about the reasons for this behavior in puppies and adult dogs, the manifestation of aggression or lack of reaction to strangers, what should the owner do.
And here is more about how to teach a dog commands.
A dog barking at night is a problem that can ruin the mood not only of the owner, but also of households and even neighbors. You can correct unwanted behavior by eliminating the causes of the pet’s barking at night. Cynologists recommend using not only training elements to solve the problem, but also special devices for weaning the animal from unreasonable barking.
Why does the dog bark at night
Almost every owner at least once in his life faced a situation when a dog barks at night. And if a one-time incident, as a rule, does not cause alarm, then with constant howling it is necessary to understand the reason for the strange behavior of the animal and take appropriate measures. A dog can bark in the dark not only due to bad manners, but also experiencing psychological and physical discomfort.
Experienced dog breeders and veterinarians point out the following reasons why a four-legged friend can wake up household members in the middle of the night:
- Puppy age. Most often, the owner is faced with the restless behavior of the pet at a young age.
- Puppies and “adolescents” are emotional, experiencing new sensations for themselves, as a rule, they react with loud barking regardless of the time of day.
- Babies just taken away from their mother and brothers, especially often roll up night “concerts”, thereby expressing longing for the warm side of their mother and fear of new sensations.
- Fear is often the reason dogs bark at night. An animal experiences negative emotions when it remains alone for a long time, in a dark and small space. Unfamiliar objects, smells, sounds can scare the dog.
- Households and pets who have become bored are woken up. Most often, owners of young and active individuals face this reason. The animal may not walk for a walk. Lack of attention from the owner also provokes the development of boredom in the dog, which is expressed in barking at night.
The owners of miniature breeds are faced with the problem of barking from four-legged friends, as a rule, due to their excessive emotionality and nervousness. Small dogs are more likely to experience fear, which prompts them to bark constantly, regardless of the time of day.
We recommend that you read about what to do if your dog is afraid to walk. From the article you will learn about the reasons why a puppy, an adult dog and an animal from a shelter are afraid to walk on the street, what should the owner do in this case.
And here is more about why the dog whines.
All night for no reason
Owners often complain that the dog barks for no reason at night. In most cases, owners of country houses and summer cottages meet with such a situation. The behavior of the animal is most often due to the fact that the dog does not like being alone on the street, or it is not accustomed to adequately respond to extraneous noises and objects.
Disease can also cause howling at night. In this case, the owner should take a close look at the pet and, if symptoms of malaise are found, seek veterinary advice.
What to do to calm the animal
Every owner of a nervous pet wants to know how to calm down if a dog barks at night. Experienced dog breeders and dog handlers first of all recommend not to allow the animal to be encouraged at this moment. If the pet has no health problems, then the owner needs to be patient and eliminate behavioral failures.
If the reason for barking is fear, stress, puppyhood, in no case should the animal be scolded and punished. But it’s not worth running to a barking pet as fast as you can. This behavior will only strengthen the understanding that you can call attention to yourself with the help of your voice, and the dog will begin to bark more often.
With a young animal before going to bed, you need to walk for a long time, using active games at the beginning of the walk, and then switch to calm exercises or just slowly walk. If your pet misses the night, its leisure time should be brightened up with a favorite toy. The presence of a familiar object in the room will give confidence to a restless individual.
The owner’s firm and confident voice will help calm a nervous and fearful animal. The dog should not be distracted by affection and treats. However, light stroking, light massage, squeezing the ears will help the dog to be distracted and calm down. It is necessary, if possible, to eliminate all annoying factors. mute the loud sound on the mobile device, reduce the intensity of the doorbell, etc.
If stress is the cause of unwanted behavior, herbal sedatives may be given to the animal as recommended by the veterinarian. In some cases, nutritional supplements with ingredients that calm the nervous system can help solve the problem.
To learn how to stop a dog from barking, see this
Owners often wonder why the dog barks into the void at night. In most cases, this behavior has its own reasons, which are not always obvious to household members. A keen canine scent and no less developed hearing allow the animal to determine the presence of a stranger, a relative, a cat, long before the owner sees these objects.
The dog can react by barking to rustles, movements that are not perceptible to the human senses, and from the outside it may look as if the pet is barking into the void.
The main causes and solutions to the problem if the dog barks at night
A dog can bark in the dark not only due to bad manners, but also experiencing psychological and physical discomfort. The main reasons for barking are:
- Puppy age. Puppies and “adolescents” are emotional, experiencing new sensations for themselves, react with loud barking regardless of the time of day. Babies especially often express longing for the warm side of their mother and fear of new sensations in this way.
- Fear. An animal experiences negative emotions when it remains alone for a long time, in a dark and small space. Unfamiliar objects, smells, sounds can scare the dog.
- Boredom. A young and active animal may not walk up for a walk. Lack of attention also triggers the development of boredom.
- Hyperemotionality, nervousness, fear of everything. Inherent in dwarf breeds.
- The presence of a stranger, a relative, a cat, rustles, movements. a person may not see or hear this, so sometimes he thinks that the dog is barking into the void.
- Departure with a domestic dog out of town. The animal does not like being alone on the street, it also barks all night due to the lack of the correct habit to react to extraneous noises.
- Disease. Your dog reacts differently to being sick, including barking all night.
- If the reason for barking is fear, stress, puppyhood, then the animal cannot be scolded and punished. Run out to him and calm him down as well, otherwise the dog will start barking even more often.
- With a young animal before going to bed, you need to walk for a long time, first actively playing, and then calmly walking.
- If your pet misses the night, its leisure time should be brightened up with a favorite toy.
- The owner’s firm and confident voice, light stroking, relaxed massage, squeezing the ears will help the dog to be distracted and calm down. It is necessary, if possible, to eliminate all annoying factors. mute the loud sound on the mobile device, reduce the intensity of the doorbell, etc.
- When stressed, your veterinarian may prescribe herbal sedatives, nutritional supplements with ingredients that calm the nervous system.
How to wean a dog from barking at night:
- From puppyhood, the dog must be taught to the command “Quiet”. The command is given only if the pet’s behavior is not related to its performance of security functions (when barking at strangers, protecting property, etc.).
- An adult animal can be taught to be quiet using the “Quiet” or “Place” commands. It is not recommended to use the command “No” or “Foo”.
- If all methods are ineffective, special collar devices will help. They can emit a weak electrical or ultrasonic pulse when the dog barks. Such devices are called “Antilay”. There are accessories based on vibration. Collars with spray are also available. with voice vibrations, the device sprays odors unpleasant for the animal.
Read more in our article about the causes of night barking of dogs, as well as effective methods of dealing with it.
To learn how to wean a dog from barking and howling when it is alone, see this
How to deal with a howling “neighbor
The public is also worried about another question: the dog howling at the neighbors’ what to do? If you got “musical” neighbors, you should talk to the owner, try to calmly convey the problem to him and try to solve it together. You can give him some tips to help wean the dog from howling in his absence, at night, or for other reasons. Or you can use the advice yourself if you are the owner of a four-legged capable of voicing the whole house.
Are there any signs
There are also certain signs associated with this phenomenon. So, when asked why the dog is howling in the yard, people answer. to the deceased. There is some truth in this. with its sense of smell, the dog is able to smell the smell that begins to emit the human body before death, and therefore the dog knows in advance that someone will die. Again, this is true of natural death, it is not worth attributing spontaneous deaths here.
In search of an answer to the question of why a dog howls, reasons, people also note that this is a problem. as mentioned above. She can notice something dangerous, not visible to a person on the move, and warn people. Be that as it may, if spontaneous howling is not typical for your animal, but it suddenly began to howl. this is worth paying attention to, perhaps she is trying to tell you about something. And superstition has nothing to do with it. It is definitely not worth hitting the howling dog, it is better to try to understand why she does it.
Why a dog howls: reasons and what to do
Many owners, especially beginners, are very interested in this question: why does the dog howl? The animal can give real concerts at night, in the absence of the owners, or for other reasons. In some cases, the owner may not know for a long time that his pet is howling. until an angry neighbor once comes up and complains about the howling that is heard in the absence of the owners of the house. So why is this happening, and is it possible to somehow stop such concerts? All this is worth talking about in detail.
How to stop a dog from howling
So, the dog howls when left alone, what to do? To begin with, she should be shown to the veterinarian so that he is sure that she is not sick, and that nothing torments her physically. And after that, you can look further, observe and try to find the reason for her behavior in order to exclude it. Maybe you should leave the food in the bowl when you are away, and the pet will stop howling from hunger.?
If attention is needed, surround the dog with kindness and affection. Walk more with your pet, keep him busy with outdoor games. And if you don’t know how to wean an animal from howling in the absence of its owners, you can try leaving the radio or TV on for it. You can teach your dog the command “voice” and “be silent”. this will help solve the problem if it makes noise in your presence. And if you still can’t figure out the question, contact the dog handler, and he will be able to help you.
Before turning to the collection, he will accept and understand what the dog is howling for, it is worth considering the simplest and most logical reasons. Indeed, in most cases, even the most chilling howl is produced by a dog simply because:
- She’s lonely. Many animals become very attached to their owners and get bored in their absence. And boredom is associated with unwanted behavior. Some dogs gnaw furniture, others jump on the door, others howl, and so on.
- She is tormented by natural needs. If the dog is hungry or wants to use the toilet, it may whine and howl. This is especially true for those dogs that stay at home for a long time. there is no one to look after them at the moment when it is necessary. And the dog can howl because it smells a bitch or flock in heat, and wants to join relatives. it drives the love instinct.
- I want attention from the owner. If the animal is sociable, it may well howl, attracting attention.
- Not good. The poor health of the pet is not always noticeable and not immediately, but meanwhile, the dog can express its pain by howling. Sometimes dogs start howling due to illness.
- I would like to send a signal to relatives. Communication takes place not only through barking, but also through howling, they can communicate with other dogs on the street or in the neighborhood in this way.
- I want to run. If the dog is sitting on a chain, it may start howling because of the desire to run around the yard and play. Especially if the chain is short.
- Joyfully. Sometimes the howling of the dog meets the owner. this is a sign of greeting along with a lot of other sounds.
How To Get Your Dog To Stop Whining At Night
In addition, it is believed that a dog may howl, anticipating trouble. There is a rational grain in this: by its elusive signs, heightened instinct and perception, noticing danger, the pet tries to warn its loved ones by giving such a signal. People also wonder why the dog howls at night, and sometimes this can be due to the lunar cycle. It has been noticed that dogs can howl at the full moon, and there is no explanation for this. apparently, this is how their subconscious works.
The problem of dog howling can be solved if you correctly find its cause and exclude it. You should not scold your pet for such behavior, and even more so, look for a mystical background in everything. And besides, it is worth knowing that some dogs do not know how to bark, and they replace barking with howls. These are primarily those breeds that are close to wolves. wolf dogs, malamutes, and other similar animals. They just don’t know how to behave differently.
Answer to another dog’s howl
Some pedigree dogs, for example, the husky, tend to howl in response to the howling of another dog. To minimize the manifestations of this habit and not cause discomfort to themselves and their neighbors, their owners should pay more attention to training.
Why does the dog howl
Howling is one of the elements of the language of dogs. In this way, they communicate at a distance with their fellows, express certain emotions. Wild canids with the help of howling “mark” the territory, give signals to those who have lagged behind the pack. Pets use howling as an alternative to barking, while representatives of some breeds bark extremely rarely and prefer to communicate with a person only through howling.
If the owner does not have training skills, spends a lot of time at work and is looking for an obedient, calm four-legged friend, then he should get a dog of the appropriate (more domestic) breed, which is easier to educate and not prone to howling.
Is it worth worrying
The pet owner should consider why the dog howls, especially if this behavior is not typical for him. It is very likely that the animal is sick and does not see any other way to inform the owner about it. In no case yell at your pet or punish. First, take your dog for a veterinary checkup.
If there are no deviations along the health line, then try to consistently observe the presence of factors that could provoke the dog’s howl.
Don’t worry if your dog howls while playing music. This behavior is typical of many pets and indicates a high development of musical ear. If episodes of “singing” occur whenever the pet hears new or harsh sounds, for example, a telephone or doorbell, the sound of a siren, a power tool, then we are talking about poor socialization of the animal. The pet does not understand their origin and howls out of fear.
TOP 5 dog breeds that “love” to howl
Huskies are dogs with a developed gregarious instinct and an independent character, which make them howl. Their ancestors communicated in this way, and at home they did not lose the habit of howling, and not barking.
Alaskan Malamute is a breed of working dogs that lived on the shores of Alaska. Howling is a genetically determined habit that, as a rule, cannot be corrected. Malamutes howl with excitement, joy, loneliness, that is, always when they experience vivid emotions.
Basenji is a breed of dogs that, due to the special structure of the larynx, do not know how to bark, but howl, and very unusual, in the manner of “yodel” (rapid alternation of chest and high sounds).
Basset Hound. dogs with a very self-confident and energetic character. This can be judged by their howl: they use a thick low timbre of voice in order to complain of loneliness and melancholy.
The East European Laika is another representative of working dogs. A pet, which by nature is accustomed to always be near a person, left alone, begins to howl.
Howling a dog as a bad habit
The reasons for the inappropriate behavior of the pet are very often associated with a lack of upbringing, or even the absence of it. A puppy, no matter how docile and intelligent he is genetically, must be taught the correct behavior. Howling can be one of the ways to express disobedience and disobedience, so you need to fight it like any bad habit. training.
If the dog howls in your presence, command “voice!”. so that she switches to barking, and then “quietly!”. for her to be silent. When the pet fulfills the requirement, say “okay!” and treat him with a treat. The essence of the training is that you need to say praise and feed the animal as late as possible every time. In the end, the animal will understand that it is being praised for its silence and will stop howling. It is necessary to monitor the pet’s reaction and whenever it reacts correctly, positively reinforcing this behavior.
It is especially unpleasant when the dog howls at night. If none of the training methods help or have a short-term effect, seek the help of a professional dog handler. It is easier for a specialist to find an approach to a pet, since he thoroughly knows the psychology of animals and owns various methods of correcting unacceptable behavior. As a rule, the intervention of a dog handler completely solves the problem.
Reasons why a dog howls
In most cases, the reasons a dog howls are rooted in the physiology of these pets:
natural needs. the pet wants to eat, drink, go to the toilet, is sexually attracted, communicates with other dogs;
illness. the howling of the dog informs the owner about the poor health;
loneliness. this is how longing and demand for attention is expressed.
Folk signs are associated with the howling of a dog, which are passed down from generation to generation. You should not treat them as prejudices, since they have a logical explanation. For example, it is believed that the howling of a dog is a harbinger of death or misfortune. Indeed, domestic animals have an excellent sense of smell, therefore, they are able to “predict” the approach of natural disasters, earthquakes, as they perceive sound vibrations that the human ear does not pick up. It is not surprising that the howling of dogs coincided with the readings of highly sensitive meteorological instruments that determine critical changes in the atmosphere and the thickness of the earth.
Dogs are very social animals, so they perfectly “read” the mood of family members. This explains their ability to anticipate unhappiness. If one of the household members is sick, then the pet will certainly feel general anxiety and anxiety and, as a sign of solidarity, will begin to howl.
How to stop a dog or dog from howling
First of all, you need to decide whether it is worth doing? If your pet is one of those who are genetically close to wolves or wild dogs, then it is not possible to completely wean him from this habit. That is why dogs of primitive breeds (their genotype was formed without human participation), which are characterized by such a feature of behavior, are not recommended by dog handlers to be kept in a city apartment. If the owner, out of love for the pet, is ready to put up with his “shortcomings”, then the neighbors are unlikely to tolerate a mournful howl at the moon, especially since he worries not only people, but also other dogs, which usually join the howling brother.
It happens that the owner does not even suspect that something is wrong with the pet, because he begins to howl only when he is left alone. Understanding comes when neighbors begin to express indignation. As a rule, the problem is solved simply. For such a situation, there are several ways out:
The dog needs to find a companion, for example, another pet, if it is not possible to constantly be near it.
For some animals, it is enough to hear music or the sound of human speech so that they do not feel lonely. When leaving home, try leaving the radio on. The trick is very likely to work.
Before leaving for work, walk with your pet for longer, offer him active games so that he “works” both physically and emotionally. Upon returning home, he will be more calm and, most likely, he will not have the desire to howl.
Sometimes the animal howls just out of boredom. leaving the house, leave him a few toys (at least 5) and treats that the dog will not be able to quickly eat. Try leaving the lights on in one of the rooms.
If the reason for the howling is poor health, then the owner is simply obliged to start restoring the health of his pet. No educational measures will help in this case.
Why does the dog howl?
The reasons for the howling of a dog are always specific: loneliness, illness, lack of movement, fear of separation, loud noises and other irritants. In order for the dog to stop howling, you need to find out and eliminate the reason that makes the animal behave this way.
Unfortunately, there is no universal and uniform way of correcting a dog howl; in each case, a different method is suitable. But remember to show the animal to your veterinarian first to make sure it is not howling due to illness. Also, never scold your dog for howling, as this will only increase the animal’s anxiety.
Let’s look at the most common causes of howling in dogs and how to correct this behavior.
Reason: fear of loneliness or separation anxiety.
How it manifests itself: The dog most often howls when you are not at home or when you are about to leave. Additional symptoms: The dog chews on things, scratches the walls, urinates on the floor and furniture, makes a mess in your absence; walks restlessly around the apartment when he sees you leaving; whines when you come or cannot calm down for too long (happy, jumping, biting).
Why it appears: the dog may be afraid of loneliness if the owner does not devote enough time to it: he walks little, plays little, does not pay attention to it all day long. Also, the dog may be afraid that he will not have enough food or water.
The dog may have frequent urge to defecate and urinate and therefore it is excruciating to experience long abstinence from walking. Perhaps there is another dog in the house that howls, and your dog does not miss the opportunity to interact with her.
What to do: find out what exactly the animal is afraid of, by elimination. Try to walk your dog more and devote a lot of time to it when you are at home so that in your absence it can rest and not waste its accumulated energy.
Buy a toy for the dog that would keep the pet in your absence: give it before leaving and take it when you return so that the dog will have a pleasant association.
Leave plenty of food and water so the animal is not afraid of hunger.
If you see your dog asking for a walk right away when you return and is having difficulty urinating, take the animal to a veterinarian and try to train him to moderately quench his thirst. Avoid table food that can make you thirsty.
If there is another dog in the house that howls, you can try talking to its owner or leaving the radio or TV on in your apartment so that the dog is occupied with other sounds.
Reason: the dog wants to attract attention.
How it manifests itself: The animal most often howls when you are near.
Why it appears: Perhaps, when the animal was a puppy, it could get everything it needed with the help of howling, and this reaction was fixed. It is possible that the owner pays little attention to the dog from other pets in the house, other family members, and the animal is trying to get care by cardinal methods.
What to do: Ignore your dog when it howls. Give the treat and attention only when she calms down. If the animal is difficult to calm down, try giving the command “Voice!” simultaneously with the howling of the dog and the command “Quiet!” when the dog is silent. This way you can control the howl and minimize its duration.
If the dog does not yet know the command “Voice!”, Teach it, this will help control any manifestations of dog howling and even barking. If the dog learns to bark and howl on command, then it can be stopped just as easily with a command or a hand clap.
Reason: external stimuli: other animals, the sound of a siren, a vacuum cleaner, a hair dryer, noisy guests in the house, children, a trip in the car and others.
How it manifests itself: The dog howls only when there is an irritant. At first she just barks, then she breaks down to howl, squeal or increased barking.
Why it appears: the dog has not passed the stages of socialization: it was scared of other animals, it is teased by children in the yard, guests violate its confidence in safety.
What to do: Use therapy and train your dog to react differently to the stimulus. As soon as the animal starts barking, then to break into a howl, react instantly: occupy the dog with another event, try to command “Quiet!” If the dog has calmed down, reward. Do not create nervousness, do not press the dog to you, do not pet. So she will either decide that the situation is really dangerous, or she will regard your behavior as reward.
Important in any of the cases!
Always maintain healthy emotional contact with your dog: do not hit, scold or punish him for howling, this will only exacerbate anxiety and phobias in the animal.
We do not recommend the use of anti-barking collars, especially those that shock the dog or the jet of water. In a difficult situation, show the dog to the dog handler, he will help you understand why the dog howls, and cope with this reason. Start figuring out the reason for the howling by going to the veterinarian, because the dog may howl for ailments or chronic illness.
There are so many reasons for howling. Depending on them, you need to develop methods of dealing with such unpleasant behavior.
- If the dog remains in the house by itself, it can feel fear without a master. Most often this happens with choleric pets that have problems with the nervous system. For them, loneliness is highly undesirable. They miss the owner so much that when he returns, they may even bite him. If the dog has a strong nervous system and there are no mental abnormalities, loneliness will not be a problem for her and she will not whine.
- On the chain, the animal whines most often out of boredom. This is easily explained. The chain does not give freedom, he cannot run where he pleases, inspect the property, and with the advent of cold weather, the owners go out into the street less and less to play with the pet, and may even forget to feed him. This leads to stress, which results in such behavior.
- In the yard, as in the house or on a chain, the dog will howl from loneliness and lack of attention. She just needs communication, friends.
- A full moon can also cause howling. It does not work on all dogs, but it is, like magnetic storms, which do not work on all people. how lucky you are. During the full moon period, this is not the only symptom of a dog’s nervousness. She can rush around the apartment, house or yard. wherever she is, sleep problems are possible. insomnia, nightmares. Although many scientists say that dogs do not dream, many pets jerk their paws during sleep, as if they are running, they can even whine, grin. During howling at the moon, the animal releases all excess negative energy, renewing itself.
- Joy also induces this behavior. If the owner finally returned or something good happened, the pet will express its feelings in this way.
- Some dogs are very sensitive to music and can “sing along” by howling or whining. In this case, the music may not be in the house where the dog lives. Dogs have better hearing, so they whine even when the neighbors play music.
- The longing, pain and sadness of the dog is also expressed in howling. But if the dog is loved by everyone and has not seen anything bad in life, then such behavior will not be noticed behind him. Such a howl is distinguished by the strength of the sound and even the timbre. These are really scary howls. This is how sick and abandoned dogs howl, whose owners have died or left them to their fate.
- Some dogs let them know their whereabouts by howling. This allows wild and outdoor animals to find each other in a big city or forest. It can be considered a kind of language that human four-legged friends communicate.
- During a danger that may lie in wait for the owners or even someone close, the dog may begin to make such sounds. It can be anything, for example, a fire, a flood, thieves, a dangerous situation, and so on.
- If the animal is sick or has something in pain, it will whine too. This is quite normal and can be solved if you identify the focus of pain and dull it with painkillers.
Why dogs howl and whine at night. reasons and what to do
Many breeders are often faced with the fact that sooner or later the dog begins to howl and whine often, seemingly for no reason. The worst thing is that very often the owners do not even hear this, since they are outside the house, and later all the neighbors complain about the pet. What to do and how to butter up your pet so that it does not wake up the whole neighborhood at night?
What to do?
So that the dog does not howl for no reason and does not wake up or frighten the neighbors, you need to understand the reason for this behavior and already, then eliminate it.
often than not, it is precisely the lack of communication. boredom. An animal needs socialization in the same way as a person, and perhaps more, because he needs care. If the pet is tamed and kept at home, then you need to play with it. Without proper attention, she will wither away and begin to show it as best she can. This does not mean that you need to play with your pet all the time, but at least several times a week you need to spend a particularly long time with it. playing in the yard for several hours, taking a long walk, and a delicious lunch or dinner. The pet will immediately feel its importance and the love of the owner.
If the dog is sick, it should be taken to the veterinarian to help calm it down and ease the pain. After treatment, she will stop behaving this way.
It is quite another matter if the reason is upbringing or problems with nerves and psyche. In this case, it is necessary to reeducate the pet. Different methods, both traditional and modern, can help here. Their choice directly depends on the problem and the age of the animal.
- An adult dog that is used to howling from birth is difficult to wean from this. The collar “Antiva” will help here. Its principle is very simple. As soon as the dog starts howling, the owner presses the button on the remote control and a jet of water is released into the pet’s face. The discouraged dog forgets its intentions and calms down. This happens a few more times before the dog understands the principle. And as soon as this happens, she will stop howling. In this case, it is desirable that she did not see the owner, but he must be nearby in order to control the situation. During the diligent behavior of the animal, you need to play with him and praise him so that the dog learns faster.
- If an animal howls during loneliness, you need to stabilize its nervous and psychological state. Dogs, like humans, can improve their emotional background if given the right ground to do so. In this case, a good attitude helps, frequent walks in the fresh air, and not on a chain, playing with a ball or other toys, bathing the animal, communicating with him.
- If we are talking about a puppy, then you need to skillfully approach the matter. In principle, you can use the collar described above, but this can scare your pet. Better to use simple methods. Ignore the pet or scold for howling, and during the correct behavior. praise and cherish.
Fear of loneliness as the root cause of howling
Most often, this behavior of a pet indicates that he does not want to let you go when you leave for work (if no one else lives at home). How does a dog-owner behave or just a coward who is afraid to while away the hours alone?
- Tries to run out into the stairwell with you when you step out of the door.
- Grabs you by the sleeve, tries to attract attention, even growls and barks to detain you.
- As soon as the door closes, it begins to howl, runs through the rooms in excitement, often looks out the window to see if the owner is coming.
In this case, howl is an expression of fear experienced by an animal that does not understand that a person has left to be expected. In an excited state, it rushes around the apartment, gives voice and disturbs the peace of its neighbors.
The main thing you should do is show the dog that you are leaving it on purpose, so that it will patiently wait for you and guard the house. In addition, in this situation, it is especially important to instill in the pet calmness and confidence that the return will take place.
What to do to prevent the dog from howling: we carry out preparatory work
First, you need to establish the life of the animal in your absence. And for this you need:
- Provide access to clean water and food
Remember to eat well and drink plenty of water while you are at work. Provide her with access to clean water 24 hours a day and make sure there is always food in the bowl. If you are often late and come home late, you can purchase a special automatic bowl with several trays, which signals whenever it is time for breakfast, lunch or dinner. there will always be fresh food for your pet.
Animal psychologists and veterinarians have found that dogs that howl often often have digestive problems, are emaciated, and find it particularly difficult to gain weight. Make the animal eat a few times a day and little by little. the portions should not be large.
In some cases, howling is a signal of pain. Do not forget about the mandatory procedures. vaccinations, deworming, strengthening the immunity of the animal with vitamin and mineral complexes, visits to the veterinarian when alarming symptoms appear.
- Make your pet as comfortable as possible
Let the dog have its own place to rest. a comfortable lounger or a house (for representatives of decorative breeds). Be sure to check if the lounger is soft enough. sit on it and spend some time in this position. about an hour. If you experience discomfort, change the bedding or find a new place.
- Give your pet the freedom to be himself
Remember to walk a healthy animal for several hours each day. On a walk, the dog must communicate with its relatives. visit special sites or go out to where avid dog lovers spend time with their pets. If your animal shows aggression or, conversely, is afraid to approach its own kind, you need to start correcting its behavior.
Meeting all of these requirements will help you restore calmness to the animal by suppressing fears and removing the source of excitement and anxiety.
My Dog Howls Between 3am And 5am. Please Help! | This Morning
Why a dog howls at night: considering the reasons and figuring out what to do
Some are afraid of the night howling, believing that this is a bad sign. a premonition of imminent death. However, this is just a sign. In fact, it is impossible to solve the problem relying only on beliefs.
Why does your pet keep you and your neighbors awake??
- Longing and fear. when a dog is lonely, he tries to say about it. as best he can.
- Searching for relatives. for wolves in the forest, howling is a way of communication over long distances. Their domesticated brethren also use their voice as a means of communication, and this calms them down. especially if a mongrel answers them from the street.
- Another reason is cold and hunger. If you do not change the water in the bowl, do not add dry food to your pet in time, or put a lounger right in front of an open window, be prepared for plaintive whine and howl.
- Your dog may complain about the pain it is experiencing. Do not forget to monitor the health of the one you have tamed: carry out deworming and vaccination on time, visit your veterinarian from time to time.
How to stop a dog from howling at home at night? Check in what condition it is. show it to a specialist. You may need a consultation with a zoopsychologist. Walk with your pet more, do not forget about games and communication. The dog is a social creature. If the owners leave him unattended, he begins to yearn, which is expressed in barking, howling, whining. Feed the animal to its fullest, always leave fresh water in the bowl.
The voice behind the wall
Howling a dog is a problem that is difficult to ignore when talking about correcting the behavior of four-legged friends. Because of him, as well as because of barking and whimpering every day, the animal can be given “into good hands” (often without specifying why, and shifting the work of eradicating the bad habit to the new owner). Less kind-hearted owners prefer to leave source of noise outside.
Both the first and second options will not suit us. we need to find a solution to the problem, which would not be reduced to getting rid of the pet. We will warn you right away: most often you cannot do without a trip to a specialist, which means you have to prepare for spending. But these are little things for those who want to fix the situation without harming the animal.
If you are sure that your pet could not behave this way, we advise you to put a hidden camera in the house so that afterwards you can see how things are going while you are not at home. If the neighbors’ complaints are not unfounded, it’s time to take action. If your dog sleeps around the clock, and heartbreaking sounds are flying from the apartment on the floor above, show the video to the tenants who decided to find the culprit to prove that your animal has nothing to do with the daily “concerts”.
But what about those who constantly listen to plaintive “trills”. during the day and even at night? First, let’s figure out how a typical “howling” dog behaves.
What to do if a dog howls and what does it mean
Let’s not forget about the psychological side of the problem. Our pets always monitor our mood, pay attention if we are going to work for a long time or worry too much before going out. Fear and insecurity in front of the huge world around is transmitted from owner to pet.
Owners are often ashamed to leave and abandon the dog for the whole day. In this case, even working with a specialist will not bring the desired result until those who have tamed the animal are convinced that the fear of the pet can be eliminated by tying yourself to the house. After such owners will not be able to leave the pet alone, even if his behavior improves, which can lead to regression and new “concerts”.
How to deal with the howling of a dog? First, deal with the restraining forces that prevent you from “letting go” of your pet. You cannot constantly treat him like a small child who cannot be left alone for a minute. Get ready for a new life, change your own attitude towards long absences. only after that, following the owner, the animal will accept any new rules and begin to follow them. So the first step is yours.
The dog howls. why and what to do?
Are your neighbors tired of looking for what a dog is howling at night, on the Internet and knocking on the wall to call both the dog and its owner to order, and you are tired of sticking earplugs in your ears and shouting at an animal that does not listen to you? This problem is familiar to all residents of apartment buildings, whose neighbors have got themselves a pet and do not know how to wean him from the bad habit of giving a voice at night or during the day. when no one is around. Extreme measures are the transfer of the animal to a shelter or the search for new owners for it. Parting with your pet or trying to change its behavior. on your own or with a zoopsychologist? We invite you to read our article on how to wean a dog to howl, and find out why, in the absence of the owners, plaintive and annoying sounds are heard from the apartment.
What to do to prevent the dog from howling
Here are some exercises to help you break the habit.
For this lesson, you will need to take a position at the door itself. it is better to start with the interior room, in order to then move on to training at the entrance. First go into the room, leading the dog. Then stop at the door and carefully open it, indicating that you want to leave.
A dog that is afraid to be alone will try to crawl in front of you. Don’t let her be outside the threshold: as soon as she rushes after you, stop moving, turn to her and push her back. If she turns her face and looks at you at this moment, praise and stroke her. In this case, you can say: “You can’t!”
You cannot act aggressively. the dog will understand this and begin to respond to rudeness with rudeness. For practicing with an evil animal, it is better to purchase a muzzle and keep the animal on a leash, and move the animal aside not with your feet or hands. with a folder, a tennis racket or any other suitable object for this purpose.
Most often, 10-15 approaches are enough so that the dog takes a position at the door and does not jump off the spot when you leave.
- Now for real
We have already figured out what to do if the dog is constantly howling in the apartment and does not allow you to cross the threshold. Are classes with an interior door going without problems? Then it’s time to move on to the entrance. Your task is to log out and then log in (several times). Does the animal not move or make a sound when you turn the key in the lock? We can assume that the lesson was successful.
This exercise will help bring up the dog who tries to squeeze into the apartment first when you go for a walk or return from it. Gently push or push your pet away if it tries to interfere with you. The required number of repetitions is from 5 to 10.
Another easy way to show your animal how not to behave. It is better to study at the interior door. at the entrance, only if you live in a private house. Set a timer for a specific amount of time. for example, 2 minutes.
Then start the lesson. Exit, leaving the door open to see what is happening in the room where the dog is left. If the pet comes up to you, return it to its place. push it over the threshold. Then take a step back and keep following. As soon as the signal sounds, return to the room and praise the animal. You can give your favorite treat as a reward.
Set aside 10 minutes for this exercise and do it several times each day. Increase intervals. from two minutes to 10, 30 or more.
The last option is without a timer. Dress as you usually dress, when you leave, step over the threshold, close the door behind you and wait. If after a certain time (for example, one and a half minutes) you hear the dog scratching the door, barking and howling, you need to return and scold the negligent student. Then we repeat the same actions. The dog is silent? We return and praise him. violently and with obligatory encouragement.
Why the dog constantly howls when he is alone at home, and what to do to get rid of annoying callsigns coming from the apartment, we have already found out. It remains to tell you how to scold an animal that does not follow your commands, and give some tips.
What to do if your pet howls?
So how do you deal with your dog constantly howling or whining at night? There are several ways to solve this problem.
- If dogs howl at neighbors’ houses, and talking to them does not help to eliminate the dog’s howl, then there is one way out. to contact the district police officer. This method can lead to strained relationships, but you have the legal right not to listen to the howl of a neighboring pet after 10 p.m.
- Since a dog’s howling is sometimes the cause of illness, the pet must be taken to the veterinarian for a checkup. Perhaps the doctor will find a disease, having cured which you can forever forget about such a problem as the howling of a dog.
- If the dog’s howl at home is due to the fact that she is bored, then the pet needs to be made clear that you are not leaving forever and will return in any case. There is one exercise that can help solve this problem. You need to start packing and dressing in front of your pet so that he sees that you are going somewhere. Before his very eyes, you need to leave the house, only for a short while. You can stand for some time around the corner of the house or in the entrance, only on another floor so that the dog does not smell your scent.
Upon your return, you will need to praise the dog, have a little chat with him. After an hour or two, the exercise can be repeated, while increasing the time of your absence. You will be surprised, but this method is very simple and effective. Thus, it will be quite simple to rid yourself of such a problem as howling.
- Increased physical activity. This method is also very effective, but it takes longer for the owner. Dogs often howl because they are bored and want to play. This indicates that the dog has not spent his energy, which means that this problem needs to be solved. What to do: a few hours before bedtime, you need to go outside with your pet and give it a good drive.
In this case, not only physical, but also mental stress is important. Throw a stick to the dog, make him follow commands, run with him. If the dog is exhausted, it means that he wants to rest more. In this case, neither extraneous sounds nor the howling of other animals will be important to him.
- The pet may want to show that it is dominant, causing it to howl regularly to get what it needs. In this case, you can not do one thing. to encourage the dog. Sometimes a person, trying to solve a problem, only aggravates it. For example, leaving and closing the door of the house behind him and immediately hearing a howl, the owner returns and begins to scold the pet. But you should not do this, because the animal understands that you are returning in the event of a howl, which means that it will try to force all family members to obey in this way.
First of all, in this case, we will recommend that you take up the prevention of the dominant behavior of the animal. You can also use a special collar “Antilai”, it helps in case of howling. The essence of his work is that when the dog howls or barks, he lets out a small electric shock. Of course, it will be possible to wean a dog from constant howling, but this can affect its mental state. In the end, the pet will not howl even in case of danger, so you need to use such a collar at your own peril and risk. In any case, we do not recommend resorting to such radical means.
Causes of dog howling
If your dog whines or your neighbors have a dog howling at night, this certainly creates certain inconveniences for rest. To eliminate the problem, first you need to figure out. what is its cause.
The following are the most common causes of dog howling:
- If the pet wants to inform other dogs about its location or, in principle, about itself. As a rule, in such cases, you will hear a drawn-out and very loud howl.
- When an alarm is heard in the barking of a dog (not all pet dog owners can understand this), it may be trying to inform the person of some kind of danger. For example, about strangers at the gate or door of a private house, or about a fire. The latter option is more likely, since in the case of intruders, the dog will most likely bark, but the possibility of howling cannot be ruled out. Pets have a well-developed sense of smell, so they smell smoke far away.
- When a dog is left alone and has nothing to do, it’s simply out of boredom. If a dog howls at night in the yard, when it is alone, then it simply misses its owner and cannot occupy itself with anything. In such cases, dogs often whine, rather than just howl. This is especially noticeable when the dog was left alone for a long time, and even on a chain. If you are planning to leave home for a long time, then do not leave the dog on a chain. When she stays alone for a long time, and even at night and on a chain, she needs to leave the toy or the radio on, so that at least something distracts her from negative thoughts.
- A dog can howl if something hurts him. Sometimes, if the pain is accompanied by loneliness at home, the pet does not just howl, but whines. In this case, the howling of the dog should alert the owners.
- Often pets howl when they want to get a person’s attention. If the dog is not alone, but you are somewhere nearby and he starts howling or even whines, then perhaps he wants something from you. Maybe she wants to eat, drink, or play. Or maybe she just lacks human attention. If this is the case, then there is no need to encourage such behavior. the dog can be fed or given a little attention, but only after he calms down.
- Sometimes the dog whines and howls with joy. This mainly happens when the owner comes home after a long day of work.
- There are more interesting cases. if your pet has an ear for music, he may well howl some song on the radio. In dogs, hearing is more sensitive, so you should not be surprised at this. For the same reason. an acute hearing. a dog can howl when he hears a car alarm or other harsh sound. In this case, the dog will howl to show that he does not like this sound.
- The most common explanation for a pet howling or whimpering at night at home is sensitivity to the phases of the moon. It is no secret that with a full month even a person can suffer from insomnia, what can we say about pets. they are no less inclined to feel discomfort than people. Sometimes this happens because the pet is uncomfortable and anxious.
Dog howl: reasons and methods of dealing with a bad habit of a pet
Howling of a dog is a feature of the dialect of animals, which they inherited from their ancestors, wolves. The reasons for howling worry many dog owners, because it is not always possible to find an answer to the question. why does a dog howl? You can learn more about the reasons for this behavior and what to do with this problem from us.
Folk omens about the howling of a dog
There are no positive signs about howling a dog. Since olden times, howling a dog has been considered a bad omen. However, when you hear a howl, it doesn’t always happen that something bad happens? Believe it or not is everyone’s personal business, but, as we wrote above, there is always a certain reason for this behavior.
What are the folk signs regarding howls?
- The people believe that if a dog howls, lifting its head up, then it can be a fire or hunger.
- In the old days, there was a popular belief among the peasants that if all the dogs began to howl at once, then the trouble would affect the whole village. People believed that the entire settlement could burn down.
- If the pet howls, lowering its head to the ground, then this may indicate the possible death of the pet itself. If the dog howls and at the same time digs a hole, then to the death of one of the family members. In addition, there is another sign of the death of the animal itself. if the pet howls not while sitting, but standing or even lying down. They say that in this way he warns the owner of his imminent death.
- If an animal howls, while keeping its head straight, then the people regard this as an imminent threat of war or hunger.
- If the dog howls for a very long time, while waving his head from side to side, then this can carry a whole series of misfortunes.
- If a pet howls in one direction, then a fire will occur in that direction or a person will die. If he does this in front of the house, then in the house.
- The most common sign: if an animal howls in front of a patient’s windows, then this is undoubtedly to his death.
- If a pet howls incessantly, while following a person, while continuing to howl, then people believed that this could be the cause of problems in a person’s life. In particular, we are talking about the so-called black streak in life, when problems haunt a person one after another.
- If the dog howls, looking up, this may indicate possible intruders, namely, robbers. People believed in such signs most of all in antiquity, as a result of which they had to post sentries in the villages in order to avoid possible problems.
Sorry, there are currently no polls available.
In any case, no one obliges you to believe the signs about howling animals. All this is unverified information that will never be confirmed. Of course, there are coincidences, but you should not believe in 100% of cases the howling of an animal. One way or another, but in the event of such a problem, you need not be guided by the howl and not look where the muzzle of your dog is directed, but rather take it to the veterinarian.
The sign of the death of the dog itself, by the way, is one of the most plausible, but there is also a logical explanation for this from a scientific point of view. If the death of an animal is close, then before its onset, certain changes will occur in the dog’s body due to natural processes. As a result, this leads to the appearance of an odor that a person is not able to catch.
Support the project. share the link, thanks!