A cleansing enema will help improve the condition of a sick pet. Draw 10-15 ml of warm boiled water into a syringe without a needle. Insert the tip into the anus, lubricating it with petroleum jelly. Let the water out slowly. The easiest way to give an enema is to place the rabbit on your knees on your back. To prevent the pet from breaking free, enlist the support of another person, let him hold his hind legs. After injecting fluid into the rectum, hold the animal in the same position for at least 30 seconds so that the water penetrates into the distant parts of the intestine. After the enema, the rabbit can go to the toilet.
Refusal to eat and drink often indicates that the pet is infected with an infection. Pathogenic microflora can enter the intestine, but in this case, other symptoms of the disease appear:
- Nasal discharge.
- Dull coat.
- Rabbit sluggish.
- Tooth creak.
Refusal to eat indicates infection
Having noticed at least one of the listed symptoms, the sick individual is immediately removed from the healthy ones. Consider what infectious diseases of rabbits are accompanied by refusal to eat and drink and lethargy.
Why doesn‘t the rabbit eat or drink anything??
Rabbits are voracious animals, being healthy, they come to the feeder at least 10 times a day to refresh themselves. But if the pet suddenly became lethargic, the rabbit does not eat anything and does not drink water, this should alert the owner of the animal. It is important to find out what caused the changes in the behavior of the animal, because if he gets sick, he needs help.
To stimulate the intestines, abdominal massage is often used. You need to do it gently with your fingertips, moving clockwise. Duration of the procedure. no more than 2 minutes.
Lack of appetite in rabbits can be observed with problems with the gastrointestinal tract. These animals have a very sensitive digestive system, so stomach stoppages are not uncommon. What can contribute to the occurrence of gastrointestinal problems:
- A sharp change in diet (switching to fresh grass in spring, introducing new products into the diet).
- Inappropriate food in the pet’s menu (feeding the animal with food that is contraindicated for it).
- Accumulation of wool in the stomach.
Rabbits lick themselves all the time, so sometimes they swallow their own hair. A large amount of it enters the stomach during molt. If a dense lump has formed inside, digestion slows down, and sometimes even stops altogether.
It is possible to determine the presence of a wool lump in the stomach of a rabbit by carefully examining its excrement. Feces stand out less than usual, peas are small, they are, as it were, fastened together with a thread, they become like beads.
With improper feeding, animals can accumulate gases in the intestines, and sometimes intestinal blockage and complete stop of digestion can occur. With gastrointestinal problems, the following symptoms are observed:
- The belly is firm.
- The rabbit eats poorly, drinks little.
- The pet is sluggish, does not want to play.
- The animal grinds its teeth due to the growing feeling of discomfort, huddles into a corner.
In such cases, the rabbit needs help as soon as possible. Next, we will look at how to improve digestion in eared pets.
How to get a rabbit drunk?
To soften the contents of the stomach, the pet needs to drink. The daily fluid intake is about 100 ml for each kilogram of body weight. That is, if the rabbit weighs 2 kilograms, he needs to drink 200 ml of water per day. If the animal does not refuse to drink, just make sure that there is enough clean water in the drinker. Otherwise, you will have to solder the pet in another way, using a syringe without a needle. Every 20-30 minutes 3-5 ml of water is slowly poured into the rabbit’s cheek. They do this until he gets better. Can be used for desoldering rehydrates, electrolyte solutions, which are sold in the pharmacy.
Attention! If the pet has not drunk for more than 8 hours, inject 10 ml of saline subcutaneously every 3 hours. Discontinue subcutaneous injections when the rabbit starts drinking on its own.
Help with diseases of the gastrointestinal tract
If your pet has stopped digestion, you need to try to start it. The following measures will help in this:
- Feeding liquid talkers.
- Abdominal massage.
If you suspect the presence of a wool lump in the stomach of the animal, you must give him 5 ml of vaseline oil to drink. It can be injected with a syringe without a needle on the cheek.
There are several reasons for refusing food in rodents:
1. Clogged or inflamed cheek pouches, dental problems.
3. Infectious diseases affecting bowel function.
Examine the hamster yourself, pay attention to its droppings, change the diet, show a specialist.
Tooth enamel in hamsters is not white, as in humans, but yellowish. If the teeth are completely yellow, then this may indicate the old age of the animal or the fact that the food that the hamster is eating contains dyes.
This is a type of mutation, most often seen in rodents with white and light fur. Is the norm and does not require treatment.
Hamsters. nocturnal rodents, so they sleep almost all day. Sleep rate. 15.18 hours if the hamster sleeps more. see a doctor.
If the hamster gets enough juicy food (fruits or vegetables), then he usually does not need water. But no matter what the hamster eats, there should always be fresh clean water in the cage.
The squeak can be from pain or it is just uncontrollable sounds (they are not dangerous).
If the squeak is repeated constantly, then it is better to show the hamster to the doctor.
There are several reasons for this:
1. Natural selection (calves with various malformations, i.e. not viable offspring).
2. Lack of protein in the diet.
3. Young female (weak maternal instinct).
4. A mother with her cubs is often disturbed (they take the cubs in their hands, look into the house, change the litter ahead of time, etc.).
1. Carefully select the male (from another litter, not a close relative).
2. Increase the amount of protein foods in the diet.
3. Avoid pregnancy too early.
4. Do not disturb the mother with her cubs. The litter is changed on the 7-10th day of the life of the cubs (an unpleasant smell will have to be tolerated).
Hamsters run in a wheel, because they need movement and sometimes the cage alone is not enough for them. The wheel must be at least 18 cm in size and is designed specifically for hamsters.
Unpleasant odors can come from both the hamster and the bedding. If your hamster’s urine has become very stinky, then most likely he has kidney problems or a bacterial disease. Bad smell can come from spoiled hamster food. Bad breath may be due to clogged or inflamed cheek pouches.
1. Change filler.
2. Change food.
3. In other situations, a specialist examination is required.
In nature, hamsters live alone. When two hamsters meet, a fight can occur, as the rodents defend their territory. If you add a beginner to a hamster, then a fight in such a situation is inevitable, because the old-timer will defend his territory (cage) from the newcomer. If the hamsters are left in the cage, sooner or later, the stronger will bite the weaker. Joint of several individuals (especially of the same sex) in one cage is undesirable.
Hamsters can bite out of fear, as well as in defense. Imagine yourself as a hamster. Without your consent, the giant roughly grabs you and begins to squeeze. You’ll like it? The same thing happens with the hamster. He beeps and defends himself as best he can.
You should tame your hamster gradually. Some individuals are not immediately tamed. All animals have their own individual character. It may be that it is your hamster that will remain wild, no matter how they try to tame it.
Hamsters should not be given cabbage because of the enzymes it contains. When cabbage is digested, an increased amount of gas is released in the intestine, due to which the hamster forms bloating and intestinal obstruction. If bloated, give the hamster a couple of drops of dill water (sold in baby pharmacies) or dill seed decoction.
Copyright holder: Zooclub portal
When reprinting this article, an active link to the source is MANDATORY, otherwise, the use of the article will be considered a violation of the “Law on Copyright and Related Rights”.
Very often, parents try to treat a non-existent disease. If no serious acute pathologies and infections are found in a child, it can be difficult for parents to admit that the child does not eat because he is not raised that way. And the testing begins, and diagnoses are sure to be found, which “as it were,” and their treatment. a waste of time and money.
Komarovsky advises to stop dragging the child to clinics and laboratories, leave him alone and simply change the daily routine and lifestyle. introduce longer walks, cool baths, go in for sports.
Many parents force their child to eat.
Evgeny Komarovsky also refers to these actions as his favorite cunning tricks: “Look, the spoon flew and flew”, “Eat, otherwise we won’t go to the park!”, “I’ll tell dad everything!”. A cornered baby will eat under pressure, but without appetite. This means that less gastric juice will be secreted, the liver will cope with its part of the work more slowly, and digestion will be more difficult. The benefits of force feeding are less than the harm.
It is also wrong to give food not for age. If a child does not eat in pieces a year, demanding pureed food, this may be quite justified. If he has only 2 teeth in his mouth, then there is simply nothing to chew on the pieces. However, mothers, who have read that the pieces will certainly stimulate the rest of the teeth to grow faster, immediately sound the alarm: they say, the appetite has disappeared. Komarovsky urges to really assess the capabilities of your child. No one asks to wipe his food until 5-7 years old, but making it digestible, at least until 6-8 teeth come out, is quite within the power of any parents.
Appetite is different
Selective appetite reflects the real picture of needs only in an infant, at 8-9 months he intuitively feels that he needs calcium and refuses to eat soup. Not because the soup is tasteless, but because milk is healthier. At the age of 1, 2 years, children for the same reason prefer dairy products.
If a one-year-old child fundamentally does not eat meat, this does not mean that at 3-4 years old he will not begin to eat it with pleasure. It’s just that vegetables and fruits, cottage cheese and milk are more important for a 12-month-old baby. And he understands this on an intuitive level.
Closer to 3 years, the problem of selective appetite, according to Komarovsky, is far-fetched. if a child does not eat vegetable puree and only requires chocolate and sausage, this is a common pedagogical mistake of mom and dad, and you should not look for any medical reasons for such behavior.
Why doesn‘t the child eat?
If the toddler refuses to eat, he, according to Komarovsky, may have two reasons: he cannot or does not want to eat.
It cannot. this means that the appetite is present, but it is physically difficult to eat. For example, mom’s milk is tasteless (the woman ate something wrong), the hole in the nipple is too small, and the porridge does not suck, etc. In infants, quite often during sucking, the intestines begin to work actively, at the wrong time its peristalsis is activated. The tummy twists, the baby hurts, he stops eating and cries.
Quite often, the root of a child’s appetite problem lies in the mouth. Stomatitis, sore gums during teething, microtrauma of the gums (scratches from toys that have been in the mouth, or nails). all this makes the process of absorbing food rather unpleasant.
Sometimes there is no appetite during colds or SARS. If the nose does not breathe, then during sucking, access to oxygen is blocked, which is uncomfortable, and the child stops eating. If your throat hurts and it is unpleasant to swallow, you will almost always refuse to eat.
Sometimes the child does not like the food offered itself. it is hot or too cold, salty or unsalted, coarse or mashed.
It all depends on the personal preferences of each particular child. If moms and dads managed to understand that the child wants to eat, but cannot, then it is best to consult a doctor to find and eliminate the obstacle that prevents the baby from eating normally.
If a child does not eat well or does not eat at all because the food intake gives him unpleasant sensations, then he simply does not want to eat. However, you should not immediately accuse him of hooliganism and insist that the porridge be eaten. The reluctance to eat also has its reasons:
Disease. Even if the parents have not yet noticed that the baby is getting sick, he himself, as a rule, begins to feel negative changes in his body in advance. In this case, a child who does not eat anything simply “turns on” the defense mechanism. on an empty stomach it is easier for the immune system to fight the causative agent of the disease. You should not force feed the baby, he does everything right, as his natural instincts tell him. But this is only true for acute infections. If a child has a long-term chronic illness, lack of appetite is a bad symptom, but this is rare.
The child’s body easily gets used to new conditions for itself, and therefore, with a protracted illness, the baby begins to eat, as usual, and with some ailments, for example, with diabetes, there is even an increased appetite. Komarovsky gives certain recommendations on how to feed a sick child: nothing, until he asks. And mother should not be at all ashamed that she does not feed a sick child. This is the best that she can do now for his speedy recovery.
- Refusal to eat “by conviction”. This happens to teenage children, especially girls. If she suddenly decides that she has become “fat”, and it is necessary to “urgently do something about it,” offer the child lighter and healthier foods (salads, boiled meat, fruits, milk). If the girl refuses to eat even this, then starvation becomes pathological and is quite comparable to a symptom of mental illness, which leads to anorexia and the slow death or disability of the girl. In this situation, feeding by force is also not an option, says Komarovsky, since the real cause of the hunger strike must be eliminated. A psychiatrist and adolescent psychologist or psychotherapist will help with this.
- Refusal to eat for no reason. There are also children who, without any illnesses, eat little or practically do not want to eat. They, according to Komarovsky, still have their own reasons not to want to eat, such as the individual characteristics of metabolism. Indeed, in one child, digestion is faster, nutrients are absorbed and assimilated faster, while in others the process is slower. Therefore, such a “slow” child refuses cooked lunch, because he still has breakfast in the process of processing.
Appetite depends on hormone levels.
If a child grows faster (his mom and dad are tall), that is, he will be larger and more often than his peer, who genetically “does not shine” with high growth.
The level of energy consumption also affects the presence of appetite. If a child runs and jumps in the fresh air, then it will get hungry faster than if it sits in front of the TV and watches cartoons.
To restore the child’s appetite, it is enough to simply adjust the energy consumption. to walk more, to enroll the child in the sports section. After all, the whole family should go for evening walks before dinner. it will definitely give a positive result.
Dr. Komarovsky’s advice on what to do if your child has a poor appetite
A child’s good appetite is source of endless joy for parents. There is nothing more enjoyable than seeing a child gobble up a cooked lunch, dinner or breakfast with pleasure. But more often it is the other way around. Mom and grandmother tried to cook, and not just like that, but exactly what the little one loves. And the kid stubbornly refuses food and is capricious.
Why Is My Hamster NOT EATING Their Food Mix?
In some families, every meal turns into a real battle between the unwilling person and his persistent parents. The child is persuaded, they try to deceive with various maneuvers and tricks, they insist and threaten that he will not receive the candy if he does not eat the soup. Is it necessary to try so hard and what to do if the child has a bad appetite, says the famous pediatrician Yevgeny Komarovsky.
If the child has given up soup for lunch, do not rush to him to cook something else. Scolding is also not worth it. Let it “whet” your appetite. The only thing that can defeat the selective appetite. this feeling of hunger. When it becomes real, strong, the poured soup will cause a lot of enthusiasm and will be quickly eaten without any persuasion. The main thing. at the next meal, offer the child the same soup, and not another dish.
A child with a lack of appetite should not have any snacks between meals: no apples, no oranges, no sweets.
Such “easy prey” should not be within his reach. This rule must be observed by all family members, it will be especially difficult for grandparents, but we must hold on.
You should not impose your meal schedule on your baby. breakfast, lunch and dinner may not coincide with his schedule. Try not to offer him food at all even for a day. At the same time, walk, play in the air, but do not say a word about food. The child himself will ask for food, and will eat everything that you offer him, with an excellent appetite.
You will learn more about what to do if the child does not want to eat in the following video.
medical reviewer, psychosomatics specialist, mother of 4 children
The hamster doesn‘t eat much: a sick hamster
Is your hamster sick or dying ?? As we’ve already mentioned, loss of appetite in hamsters may indicate that your hamster is sick. Hamsters are small rodents that are very sensitive and can very easily become infected with infections, abscesses, parasites, fungi, colds, respiratory problems and other diseases.
The hamster does not eat: warm
Almost all animals, especially mammals, cut back on their food intake on the hottest days (summer). If your hamster doesn’t eat food because it’s very hot, don’t make him eat. Instead, we recommend offering your hamster fresh, water-rich foods to keep it hydrated. You don’t want to eat your food because it is too hot, you shouldn’t force it, but you can offer fresh food rich in water to keep it hydrated well. Fruits that hamsters can eat include:
- Watermelon: A lot of people wonder, ‘‘ Can hamsters eat watermelon? ’’ In small doses, Yes. If you give too much watermelon to your hamster, it can cause vomiting or diarrhea.
As summer arrives, you should also be aware of and avoid heatstroke in hamsters. Heatstroke in hamsters can be fatal! In addition to controlling the temperature of your hamster’s environment, it is important that you ALWAYS provide your hamster with clean fresh water. Remember to always place your hamster’s cage in a cool environment out of direct sunlight. For more information, we recommend reading our article where we tell you everything you need to know about preparing your hamster.
My hamster won’t eat: stress
As we’ve already mentioned, hamsters are sensitive animals that can be easily affected by normal and environmental changes. If your hamster’s cage is not full of physical and mental enrichment for play and exercise, it can stress the hamster.
Stress in hamster symptoms include:
- Hyperactivity, nervousness, or anxiety.
- An increase in unusual habits such as biting your cage.
- Changes in appetite: When they feel nervous or hyperactive, some hamsters eat more and others eat less or nothing at all.
- Hamster Behavior Problems: Without relieving stress in a positive way, many hamsters engage in intrusive and repetitive behavior, commonly known as hamster stereotypes.
- Additional Behavioral Problems Aggression is one of the most common symptoms of stress in hamsters. Hamster aggression can also be associated with certain medical conditions. Therefore, if your hamster tries to bite him, we recommend that you consult with your veterinarian as soon as possible.
On the other hand, hamsters can be very sad and depressed when they don’t get accurate help. A sad or depressed hamster can:
- Loses interest in food.
- Reduces daily physical activity.
To keep your hamster active and healthy, make sure it is constantly stimulated by play and cage toys. This is in addition to ensuring that your hamster is receiving a good quality diet and proper hygiene.
For more information on hamster stress and behavioral changes in hamsters, take a look at:
- Stress in hamsters.
- Why does my hamster bite his cage.
The hamster does not eat or drink: reasons and what to do
If you share your home with one or more hamsters, you’ll already know that these animals have an insatiable appetite. This is why hamsters often gain weight quickly and are prone to obesity. If your hamster doesn‘t eat or drink, “It’s not okay. A hamster that doesn‘t eat is actually a cause for concern. Lack of appetite in hamsters is a symptom of various hamster diseases, so if you notice that your hamster is not eating or drinking, take note.
Are you asking yourself ?, ‘‘ Is my hamster sick or dying ?? ’’ Read here on HowMeow to find out why a hamster doesn’t eat or drink, and what that might mean for your hamster. ”.
Why doesn‘t my hamster eat?
While hamsters tend to have a large appetite and tend to be flexible enough in their diet, you may sometimes notice that your hamster won’t eat If your hamster doesn’t eat, the first thing we recommend is to take a look at it. diet. This is your hamster’s uniform diet?
For more information, see our article where we answer the questions, ‘‘ What do hamsters eat? ’’
The hamster does not eat or drink: reasons
Doesn‘t your new hamster eat? What if your old hamster isn’t eating? In addition to the reasons mentioned above, hamsters can also lose their appetite due to:
- Hamster Poisoning If your hamster has toxic plants or prohibited foods, it may develop symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, muscle stiffness, and others. If you think your hamster has ingested a toxic substance, be sure to take it to your veterinarian immediately. For more information, make sure you are aware of prohibited hamster foods.
- Dental problems in hamsters: Rodents, like hamsters, need to use their teeth regularly. Did you know that a hamster’s teeth never stop growing? If the hamster does not have twigs or snacks to use its teeth, it can develop into irregular growths or breaks. Consequently, some symptoms will appear, including decreased appetite. For more information, see our article where we discuss how to care for your hamster. ‘.
- Hamster Cage Hygiene. If your hamster has a lot of dirt, impurities, or droppings in his cage, your hamster may not be able to eat. In addition, inadequate hygiene can promote the growth of pathogens and stress the hamster. So be sure to clean your hamster’s cage regularly by removing debris and feces. We also recommend cleaning and disinfecting your hamster’s cage with warm soapy water once a week.
- Constipation The hamster may refuse to eat or eat very little. Constipation in hamsters is often caused by poor fiber, inadequate water intake, or ingestion of hair. To help, include fiber-rich fruits and vegetables in your hamster’s diet, such as prunes, pears, lettuce, and spinach.
My hamster is sick or dying??
Symptoms of a sick hamster This cannot be ignored. If you notice any of these symptoms, we recommend that you consult with your veterinarian as soon as possible:
In these cases, it is very important to see your veterinarian immediately. These symptoms could be a sign of an illness that the hamster can cause.
Heat stroke very often occurs when there is no access to fresh drinking water. When the animal is unconscious, it can no longer use the drinker. However, it is dangerous to drink a hamster from a syringe: it will not swallow, the liquid will enter the lungs, making breathing difficult and causing pneumonia.
Liquid (sterile ringer solution or sodium chloride) is injected subcutaneously with 4-8 ml of Syrian and 2 ml of Dzungarian hamsters.
Low room temperature
If the heating in the apartment was turned off, or you did not feed the hamster for several days while going on vacation, this could provoke numbness. The body will be cold, the heartbeat will be prohibitively rare (1 beat in 15 seconds). The sleeping hamster barely breathes, because of its small size it is difficult to understand whether there is breathing at all. But if the little body remains soft, the rodent is not dead. To awaken the animal, the cage is placed in a warm room (more than 20 C), the feeder and drinker are filled. The hamster should wake up in 2-3 days.
If the hamster breathes frequently “out of the blue” without being scared or tired, this indicates respiratory or heart failure.
Although all potent medications are best used as prescribed by a doctor, in a situation with acute overheating, the hamster may not live to see a ratologist. If you think you have nothing to lose, you should inject intramuscularly (in the hind leg) prednisone 30 mg / ml with an insulin syringe. Dzhungarik dose. 0.05 ml, Syrian. 0.1 ml.
Lower the temperature
First aid is to cool the body, but not too abruptly: it is forbidden to apply ice, immerse the hamster in water! The animal is placed on a tile or ceramic dish, or on a damp towel. Gently moisten ears and paws with cool water.
Treatment for heat or sunstroke
Transporting a pet to the clinic in case of heat or sunstroke is not the best solution; time for first aid will be lost. What can be done without the help of a veterinarian to help your pet:
If a previously healthy animal suddenly fell into a coma, it is possible that this is hibernation. Breathing will be very rare, and the pet will be cold to the touch. In nature, Dzhungariks hibernate in winter, waiting out the cold, hunger and short daylight hours.
What hamsters die from
At home, hamsters live from 1.5 to 4 years, depending on the species. Syrian hamsters are considered centenarians, which can live up to 4 years with proper care and maintenance. Hamsters Campbell and Roborovsky live the least, up to 2 years.
Hamsters usually die a natural death from old age. But there are many reasons that shorten the lifespan of a rodent. In some cases, you can correct the situation and extend its life. It is important to monitor the pet, and if symptoms appear, changes in appearance or behavior, immediately consult a specialist.
- Old age. The life span of hamsters is short, even under good conditions. Hamsters age and die as they age.
- Improper nutrition. Hamsters are omnivores, they can devour almost any food that is offered to them. The hamster’s diet should be closely monitored and prohibited foods should not be given. The hamster is very small, so a small piece is enough for him to get poisoned. Lack of vitamins and minerals shortens the hamster’s lifespan.
- Conditions of detention. Often hamsters die due to inappropriate housing conditions. High humidity and dampness are detrimental to hamsters. They are also harmed by high or low temperatures. Do not place the cage in a draft or in direct sunlight.
- Injuries. The most common cause of death for hamsters at home. Some types of hamsters are very small and difficult to handle. If the hamster breaks free from his hands, if he falls, he can get injuries that are incompatible with life. Also, hamsters often escape from the cage. Finding and catching a hamster is a challenge. When searching, you can accidentally step on the hamster, which also negatively affects its health.
- Closely related crossing. You can not cross relatives hamsters. In this case, the offspring is born sick and there is a high probability that the hamsters will not live even a year.
- Congenital pathologies.
- Childbirth. Pregnancy, carrying and caring for offspring takes a lot of strength and energy from the female. The more often the female gives birth, the lower her life expectancy.
- Stress. Hamsters often die prematurely due to constant stress. Such situations include noise, harsh sounds, the presence of other animals.
- Diseases. Depending on what the hamster is sick with, the lifespan depends. The most common diseases in hamsters are diabetes mellitus and cancers. With diabetes mellitus, a hamster can live long enough if its diet is adjusted. With cancer, the hamster dies quickly enough.
- Treatment. Improper treatment can also kill your hamster. Don’t self-medicate your hamster. Incorrect diagnosis leads to incorrect treatment that kills the hamster.
It is also important to consider the age of the hamster at the time of purchase. For home keeping, you should choose a rodent that has reached the age of 1-2 months. If you take a hamster that is not yet 1 month old, it is more likely that he will die.
Depending on the reason the hamster dies, he may walk away quietly or screaming.
- Hamsters die quietly from old age. The hamster becomes less active, lethargic and sluggish with age.
- With a stroke, the hamster is paralyzed. He breathes heavily, can eat a little, but lies still and motionless. Death in this case does not occur immediately.
- With various diseases, the hamster can die both quietly and screaming, depending on the disease. At first it beeps loudly, then it becomes quieter and completely dies down.
- When injured, the hamster can squeak immediately or lie quietly. It all depends on the nature and severity of the injury.
How to tell if a hamster is dying.
Any abnormalities are the first signs that your hamster is sick. It is important to notice this as early as possible and sound the alarm. The sooner the owner turns to a specialist, the more chances that the hamster will not die.
You must pay attention to any disruptions and lifestyle disturbances. Consider the signs by which you can determine that the hamster is not healthy and without the intervention of the owner may die.
- Lack of appetite. If the hamster has begun to eat less or does not eat at all, these are the first signs that not everything is in order with him.
- Doesn‘t stock up. Also is a deviation from normal behavior.
- Behavior. Even a tame and good-natured hamster can be aggressive and nervous. On an ongoing basis, this indicates that the hamster is not healthy or is worried about something.
- Appearance. Tousled fur, hair loss, cloudy eyes, all this speaks of a hamster’s disease.
- Impaired coordination of movements. Hamster gait disorder, it can fall from one side to another.
- Cough, vomiting, diarrhea. Obvious signs of the disease, in which you should urgently consult a specialist. Every minute counts. If the cause is not identified in time, the hamster may die.
How to tell if a hamster is dead
If the hamster has died, be sure to make sure of this. The death of a small hamster can be confused with paralysis, when the rodent lies motionless, but is still breathing.
- Body temperature;
Where and how to bury a hamster
Even when kept in the best conditions, it is still impossible to avoid the death of a pet. What to do if your hamster is dead?
The first and most common option. the funeral. It is necessary to wrap the hamster in a cloth, and then put it in a small box. It’s good if your city has a specialized cemetery for pets, but this is rarely the case in today’s reality. It is worth choosing a place with soft earth, where people do not walk, and dig a deep hole. After the box is buried, you need to tamp the earth and it is advisable to put some stones on top so that the animals do not dig the grave.
If the hamster dies in the winter, the frozen ground will make digging a grave more difficult. In this case, an ax or crowbar will help. You can bury a hamster near the heating main. there the ground does not freeze even in winter.
The second option is cremation. It is worth contacting the veterinary clinics in your city and find out if they provide this service. Of course, this option is preferable, but not all veterinary clinics have the necessary equipment.
For normal life, hamsters need a balanced dry food. It should include cereals, plant seeds, herbs and flowers, as well as protein supplements in the form of dried insects.
It is important to give your hamsters licensed vegetables and fruits. You can feed hamsters with cucumber, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, turnips, radishes. Species of hamsters that do not have a predisposition to diabetes mellitus can be given pumpkin, carrots, fruits and dried fruits.
It is forbidden to give onions, cabbage, sorrel.
What if the hamster died? How to bury a hamster
One of the most popular but short-lived pets is the hamster. Lovely crumbs that are always running somewhere seem to be in a hurry to live. And this is no accident, because on average hamsters live about two years, and with good maintenance they can live up to three. Any owner who has chosen this cute animal for keeping will almost inevitably face his death. So what standards should you follow in order for your pet to live a long and happy life? And what to do if the hamster died?
Hibernation. How to identify it and not bury a hamster alive?
This moment may come unexpectedly. If your hamster suddenly died, do not rush to bury it. Often in social networks, you can stumble upon stories about how a deceased hamster came to life. This is not mystic, and the reason is understandable: hamsters have the ability to hibernate, which can be mistaken for the death of an animal.
In case of improper housing conditions, low room temperature or lack of food, the hamster can temporarily slow down the life processes in its body. His breathing and heart rate slow down so that they become almost invisible.
What if the hamster died? If the hamster lies motionless and shows no signs of life, it is necessary to carefully observe it. A dormant hamster breathes, albeit very slowly, and this can be easily seen with the naked eye. It is worth touching the hamster. if it is already numb, the conclusion is disappointing. If your hamster is soft to the touch, try to feel for its heartbeat. It should be borne in mind that the hamster’s hibernation does not last long, and if after a couple of days your pet has not woken up, then, unfortunately, it is worth recognizing him as dead. In any case, if you have any doubts about the death of a hamster, you should take it to the veterinarian so that the doctor makes a final conclusion.
In order to avoid the irreparable in time and go to the veterinarian, you should know what domestic hamsters are ill with.
As a result of constant running in a small running wheel, a hamster’s spine is curved and internal organs are displaced. The animal gets sick and dies.
It has been documented that living in a small cage can cause a hamster to reject its hind legs. Small cells have a detrimental effect on the mental state of the hamster and can cause inappropriate behavior and more serious illnesses.
When using coniferous filler in a cage, a hamster may develop allergies. To keep the hamster, you should use corn flakes, sawdust from fruit trees and cellulose filler. The needles are poison. It can cause respiratory diseases.
Hamsters are very afraid of drafts and cold, they are prone to colds. It is highly discouraged to take the hamster outside or let it go to play in the grass. In addition, “in the wild” hamster may well pick up parasites.
Benign and malignant tumors are common in hamsters, especially in the elderly. Poor-quality feed may well become the reason for their appearance. Any tumor that forms in a hamster will not resolve on its own, and the pet must be shown to the veterinarian.
Any changes in your hamster’s health should not go unnoticed. If a hamster has any secretions, tumors, damaged limbs or hair loss. these are direct indications to refer the animal to a veterinarian. Do not delay, because every minute can count.
Hamsters. fragile animals, and therefore there is a great risk of getting all kinds of injuries in the process of life.
Hamsters often get injured and broken limbs. This is due to the high cells with floors, consisting of twigs. Also, running wheels with a coarse mesh can cause limb fractures. a hamster’s foot can get stuck in the wheel while running, and the result will be a fracture or amputation of the limb. Cotton wool or fabrics in a cage are very dangerous. The small foot can become entangled in the fibers and dry out, causing the hamster to chew it off.
Walking balls are a great danger. They are strictly contraindicated for hamsters. Running in a ball can cause the hamster to choke, overheat, or be injured.
Fighting hamsters that are kept together cause serious injury.
Eye injuries from sharp objects or chips are common.
Another danger to the hamster is other pets: cats and dogs. It is important to place the cage where other animals cannot reach it. Often cats and dogs drop their cages or reach hamsters with their claws through the bars.
Hamsters do not feel heights, and therefore are not afraid of it. There are often cases when the hamster jumps from his hands to the floor, as a result of which he receives serious injuries.
What to tell a child
Death of a pet. always a big blow for the whole family, and children are especially sensitive to this. Parents may feel confused about what to do if a hamster dies.
What words to convey to the child the news of the death of a pet depends on the age of the baby and on whether the parents explained to him what death is. However, one should not hide from the child the fact of the death of the animal, because in any case he will have to face death in the future. It must be remembered that in such a difficult moment, the child needs special attention from the parents. You should not leave your baby alone with your grief. you need to talk a lot with him and provide moral support. Do not scold if your child’s grades at school temporarily deteriorate. It takes time to get over grief. You do not need to immediately get another animal to replace the old one. All the same, the new pet will be completely different in character and habits, which is why it is important to completely mentally say goodbye to the deceased hamster.
The main causes of death of hamsters can be identified:
- Poor conditions of detention.
- Poor and improper nutrition.
- Illness and untimely appeal to the veterinarian.
- Old age.
What to do if a hamster chews on a cage?
Any hamsters are distinguished by a very mobile and active lifestyle. Even the smallest species of hamsters can run more than ten kilometers in one day. Not all people have such a daily result. Domestic hamster breeds keep up with wild breeds. That is why it is very important to equip running wheels or plates of the required size in the aviary. In the absence of this inventory, the hamster will be very bored, winding circles around the cage, climbing on the canvas along the rods (which is unsafe for the animal) or constantly gnawing the rods of the cage.
Why you need to wean hamsters from gnawing a cage?
This is equally important for both the owner and the pet.
When a hamster chews on a cage, he can easily prick himself, damage his nose or gums on metal rods.
Also, the animal, with constant gnawing, rubs its muzzle very strongly, the hair falls out, the skin is damaged to blood. And this is already fraught with infections.
For the owner, the harm is limited not only by discomfort during nighttime awakenings from loud sounds from rubbing teeth against metal rods. The hamster can just run away.
What to do if a hamster chews on a cage. Methods.
There are several methods here, you can combine several for a more effective result.
- Exposure to goodies. A popular method, but it is effective if the reason for the gnawing is precisely the request of the hamster to feed. So, if you walk nearby with food or just sit next to the cage, and it is at these moments that the hamster leaves the shelter and starts making noise in this way. then you can be sure that he is asking for a treat.
There are two options here:
- indulge the beast every time, then it will gnaw more and more often.
- to form a strict regimen of feeding with a mixture and treats. Then the hamster will either ask at this time, or will stop nibbling altogether, knowing that he will soon be fed. Maintain solid vegetables and fruits in the feed.
- Introduction of wooden rods. Hamsters need to constantly grind their teeth. they grow all their lives. To prevent the hamster from using the rods of the cage for these purposes, take the branches of permitted trees and fix them in the cage in any way. You can make cuts on the branches, the smell of the tree will attract the hamster. If your hamster chews on a cage at night, change branches before bed.
“MY HAMSTER ISN’T DRINKING!” | HamHealth
- Lemon juice. An equally well-known way to wean a hamster from chewing on a cage. In theory, the hamster will taste the oiled rods and it will not taste good. But stubborn animals will be able to find other, not oiled rods. Agree, it is not very convenient to constantly process the entire cell several times a day?
Therefore, this method is best combined with other.
- Replacing the cage with a container. For small breeds of hamsters, you can completely replace the cage with a plastic container, they are inexpensive and light in weight. The Syrians will need a much larger container. The main thing when choosing a container is the absence of internal protruding corners so that the pet does not gnaw its way out. Providing the right ventilation, digging layer, wheels and nibbles. you will create the ideal conditions for your hamster.