The cat does not let you sleep at night. what to do?
Nighttime activity for a cat is completely natural behavior. She is a predator by nature, she sees perfectly in the dark. So, attacking your feet or slippers in the dark, the cat just follows instincts.
What if the cat interferes with sleep at night? Is it possible to conquer nature and adjust the cat’s wakefulness rhythm for yourself? Yes, you can. try to make the cat play enough for the whole day and spend all its energy. This is especially true if you are at work until the evening, and the cat is bored alone. Therefore, she prefers to sleep all day, and at night, when the owner is at home, frolic.
How to fix a female cat that’s in heat
It is necessary to keep the cat active while no one is at home. Houses, devices in which you can launch a paw and move a ball, labyrinths, scratching posts, stairs will help here.
How to stop cats from meowing at night? [Your Cat Question Answered]
Set up secure shelves that she can climb. It is advisable to have several “sets” of toys that should be changed at intervals of 3-5 days so that they do not have time to bother the cat: squeaking, jumping, blinking, ringing. those that will not be boring alone.
In the evenings, you can also show her special videos for cats from the Internet, where a squeaking mouse, fly or fish move across the screen. the animal will try to catch them. You can put the tablet down and launch a special video game for the cat, then the virtual hunt will be even more fun. the cat will touch the mouse with its paw, and the mouse will disappear. Thus, you can take the animal a little before bedtime, if there is no opportunity to make noise and play with rattling objects on the floor.
It is best to arrange a place for the cat closer to the window so that she is as interested in what is happening as possible, instead of sleeping. Try to pay as much attention to the animal as possible in the morning and evening, especially when the cat spends the whole day in an empty apartment.
If a cat does not let you sleep at night, deliberately wakes you up, meows, asks to open the door, but does not go inside, drops objects in the kitchen, most likely, she simply does not have enough attention, and she tries to establish at least contact with you. Talk to your animal when you leave for work and return, play, let the pet watch your chores, brush the coat, and show that you are emotionally connected with it.
If, on the contrary, it is too noisy at home during the day, for example, children are playing or there are other animals, a timid cat can hide in a corner and sleep, because she does not have the opportunity to explore the territory, and this is one of the main cat instincts. In such a situation, the animal will gladly walk around the apartment at night, in silence and alone, she can even mark her possessions. You need to try to reconcile the cat with reality, ask the children to include it in their games, give the opportunity to freely move around the apartment.
Try not to give your cat too much food in the morning, and leave most of the daily allowance for the evening so that the animal goes to bed full and does not hunt for your sneakers at night. The fact is that in nature, the ancestors of cats could not hope for feeding on a schedule and after a caught bird plunged into a long sleep in order to spend as little resources as possible. After all, there might not have been any loot tomorrow. A domestic cat behaves, as a rule, in the same way: after a dense feeding, it pulls into sleep.
It is important not to react to provocations: if the cat does not let you sleep at night and requires attention, and you are sure that it is not doing it due to illness, stress or estrus, but simply to get your reaction, ignore its antics and do not succumb to manipulation. And in the afternoon, on the contrary, actively communicate with the cat. It is very important not to give up at night. If you ignore the cat’s demands for several days, and then suddenly react violently to the dropped object, this will only reinforce the unwanted behavior.
Do not close the cat at night in the bathroom or kitchen if these areas were available to her during the day. She will try to regain control of them at night instead of sleeping. If you have a small child in your apartment who is disturbed by a cat at night, it is better not to let the cat into the nursery during the day, so that she simply excludes this territory from her list. Or make the child’s bed inaccessible to the cat, if he does not have a separate room.
Following the recommendations does not bring the desired result? Consult a zoopsychologist. The cat may be under severe stress, unable to fall asleep due to illness, over or under nutrition.
The cat does not eat due to kidney disease
- Increased thirst.
- Profuse urination.
- Weight loss.
- Anemia (pale mucous membranes).
- Dental problems (ulcers on the gums and tongue, tartar, dental diseases).
- Mouth odor (sometimes ammoniacal).
- Deterioration of the coat.
- Detachment of the retina.
- High blood pressure.
- With nephritis, there may be fever and soreness when feeling.
The cat does not eat due to liver disease
The cat does not eat due to inflammation in the stomach and intestines
- Parasitic invasion (worms, the defeat of the cat by protozoa). If the animal has a strong worm infestation (the kitten is picked up on the street), parasites are visible in the feces, the animal vomits with worms, then drugs for worms should be given under the supervision of a doctor, since the simultaneous death of a large number of worms can poison the body and there will be a need for a dropper.
- Injury to the gastrointestinal tract from bones or any other foreign objects. They cause a disturbance in the structure of the mucous membrane, which leads to intestinal diseases such as sensitive digestion or irritable bowel syndrome, nonspecific colitis. Inflammation of the large intestine disrupts its motility, affects the absorption of water and the formation of feces, provokes diarrhea (with blood and mucus), in a neglected state leads to weight loss, then the depletion of the animal.
- Uremic gastritis (secondary inflammatory lesion of the stomach in chronic kidney disease).
- Violation of a balanced diet.
- Chronic stress.
- Food allergy.
- Diseases of the liver and pancreas.
Why the cat doesn’t eat and what to do?
The cat does not eat due to diseases of the mouth and teeth
- Oligodontia (congenital incomplete teeth) is inherited. Depending on how many teeth are missing, the cat experiences a certain degree of discomfort when eating food. This can lead to digestive disorders and the occurrence of diseases of the digestive tract. For such cats, the type of feeding is selected individually, after consulting a doctor.
- Dental calculus. If plaque is not removed in time, it hardens, forming a tartar on the surface of the tooth. porous deposits in which bacteria swarm. The calculus is clearly visible and looks like a brownish yellow or brown hard build-up on the surface of the tooth. The stone appears at the base of the tooth, and then grows to the root, penetrating under the gum, and upward, eventually covering the tooth completely. If not removed, the cat can lose one or more teeth and even become seriously ill due to chronic gum disease. Tartar is also the main cause of tooth decay and inflammatory diseases of the gums: osteomyelitis, periodontitis and gingivitis.
- Tooth decay in cats. If caries is left unattended, decay will take over the adjacent teeth and spread to the entire oral cavity. Cats’ teeth hurt like humans, identifying the source of pain and stopping it is the only way to solve the problems described above.
- The location of the teeth in the mouth of the cat, anomalies in the development of teeth and bite. If the animal has any abnormalities in the development of teeth or bite, then they can lead to the following problems:
- Difficulty eating and chewing food.
- Mechanical damage to the mucous membrane of the lips, cheeks, gums, tongue.
- Diseases of the digestive system.
The cat does not eat due to a viral infection
- Nose. sneezing and nasal discharge.
- Eyes. discharge from the eyes (viral conjunctivitis), eyes become red and inflamed, thick sticky discharge, itching, impaired lacrimation.
- Lack of appetite as a result of loss of smell (with nasal congestion) which affects hunger.
- Dehydration is another problem with a sick cat. He feels too weak to drink and thus dehydrates quickly.
- Fever. the body reacts to a viral infection by raising the temperature. As a rule, cats react to this with lethargy, passivity, lack of appetite.
- Ulcers in the mouth or nose. Painful changes in the form of ulcers are manifested in the behavior of refusal to eat.
- Any combination of the above symptoms.
The cat does not eat due to pain and stress.
The cat does not eat due to poisoning
- Having eaten the poison itself (direct). Rodent baits have a pleasant taste, which makes them attractive not only for direct consumers, but also for dogs and cats.
- Eating a poisoned rodent (indirect). A poisoned rat or mouse, weakening, becomes an easy prey for a cat. Modern means are very effective, so a portion of the poison that has entered the rodent’s body will be sufficient for a larger animal.
- Refusal to eat.
- Internal and external bleeding: bloody vomiting, bloody diarrhea, hematomas.
- Anemia of the mucous membranes.
- Shortness of breath, tachycardia, neurological problems, convulsions.
What to do ?
A distraction strategy can stop the night screams of a young animal, which are not associated with the spring hormonal surge: in the evening, keep the cat from sleeping, amusing him and himself with an active game with running and imitation of hunting, before going to bed, feed him abundantly, preferably meat (it takes longer to digest).
If this does not help, you can use plant-based drops (Cat Bayun), the Feliway system, or other sedative drugs.
When starting a pet, you need to remember that teaching is easier than retraining. If you do not want problems with the night cry of a cat, teach your baby to order from the first day in the house.
Why does a cat meow all the time? ?
Let’s figure out why cats meow, keeping us awake.
A small kitten from birth to 3 weeks of age cries if:
How you can not behave?
Cats are social animals with a high nervous organization. The only thing you shouldn’t do when raising a cat is yelling at it and hurting it. A slaughtered cat afraid of its owner is a terrible sight.
You can bring up a purr only by persistent repetition of the lesson: they understand everything perfectly, and, having accepted the primacy of the owner, the cat will calmly follow the established rules.
Can a cat scream for no reason?
In nature, stray cats do not use meow to communicate with each other. Meowing is a cat’s way of communicating with its owner. Cats of some breeds, for example, Siamese-oriental groats, Cornish Rex, Turkish Angora have a habit of talking to their owners: to the question “How are you?” can answer with a loud “Meow”.
But these sounds cannot be compared with those loud screams that cats of these breeds, and also of the eastern group (Burmese, Bombay, Bengals, Ocicats, Egyptian Mau), emit in a sexual hunt. But this is only one, though the most common cause of screams, and there are many of them, and many are of an age nature.
Why does a cat yell and what to do?
No animal will cry day and night for no apparent reason. If the cat yells, as it seems to you, for no reason, then you, the owner, do not know your animal well.
Meowing of aging pets
Aging animals often behave like elderly people: they require increased attention, throw tantrums for any reason and without it.
The constant cry of an old cat can talk about:
- The desire to insist on your own in case of refusal.
- Feeling lonely. the cat calls the owner and demands attention.
- Painful Syndrome. Aging cats often develop arthritis, which causes joint pain with sudden movements and jumping, and other health problems.
Apart from medical problems, only increased attention and affection can help in correcting the behavior of an old cat.
What to do?
In order for the baby to calm down, it is necessary to warm him up to a normal temperature of 38 ° C either by calling the mother-cat, who abandoned the child for a long time, or by putting a bottle of warm water as a heating pad. After it gets warm, you can feed.
Older kittens cry out to their mother in case of danger, any problem (lost in a large apartment, felt lonely) or from pain in case of accidental injuries.
In the new house, the kitten also calls the cat with a loud cry, in this case, the only thing that can be done is to caress, warm, play. make it clear to the feline child that he is not alone, he is loved and taken care of.
If you do not plan to access the kitten to your bed, you need to teach him to spend the night alone from the first day, and therefore, the first days, when the kitten is not yet used to the new daily routine, you may have to endure how many sleepless nights.
To avoid discomfort at night, train your pet to your daily routine.
A good result is given by the evening washing of the cat during estrus: by wetting her fur before going to bed, you are guaranteed to sleep all night, since she will be busy putting herself in order, she will not have time to cry.
However, this method is safe if the house is warm and there is no way for the cat to catch a cold on the cold floor.
In any case, castration of the animal will save you from night meowing.
The cat gets it
Sometimes the cat behaves like a small child. If she yells, the owners immediately run up and give her what she asks for. So from an early age, in a short time, the kitten manages to train its owners. As a result, the cat gets used to immediately receiving affection, play, attention. If at first she does this only during the day, then gradually the screams go to night too.
Stop rewarding the animal when it draws attention to itself in this way. After the cat is silent (and sooner or later she will get tired of screaming), wait a few minutes and give her what she so actively asked for. The cat eventually realizes that her screams do not work and it is pointless to scream.
However, if the cat has reached an old age, then you need to treat her “talkativeness” with understanding. Feelings of loneliness are more pronounced in old age.
An older cat may be anxious and need attention.
Pay close attention to how the cat eats, how she behaves, whether her habits have changed. If the animal is in a lethargic state, refuses its favorite delicacies, hides in dark places all the time, then there are health problems. If the screams are accompanied by a violation of the chair, vomiting, then this may indicate that the cat has been poisoned or has worms. If a cat screams when visiting the toilet, then she may have diseases of the genitourinary system. A cat can scream, run and itch when it is allergic or has fleas in its fur.
If the cat has not been spayed, then it may scream when estrus begins. Typically this period can be in the spring and early fall. Check with your veterinarian to determine when is the best time to sterilize. Untamed cats can also accompany sexual behavior with vocalizations.
If everything is in order with the health of the cat and she does not have estrus or sexual behavior, then remember if there have been any changes in her life lately. Cats do not like a change of scenery, they hate to move, they do not want to meet new owners. By screaming, a cat can express its dissatisfaction with the current situation. And here it is important to show that you need her: play with the cat more often, pet it, talk. Over time, she will get used to the new environment and will feel calmer.
What to do if a cat yells?
A cat’s urge to cry constantly can be a form of a behavioral disorder or a symptom of a physical illness (such as hyperthyroidism). Older cats may cry due to cognitive impairments. If you encounter this, the first step is to conduct a complete veterinary examination of your pet.
Shape your cat into a regimen
When your pet is constantly yelling at night, there is an interesting strategy to try. Let all family members actively play with the animal during the day. It is desirable that the game has an imitation of hunting. The pet must run, jump, catch something. Once he satisfies his animal instincts, he will surely calm down. And before going to bed, feed the cat tightly. After that, she will no longer want to be naughty, but there will be only one desire. to sleep soundly. And you will be able to sleep at night.
The cat can sleep at any time of the day. Train your animal to sleep at night from the first months of life. If this has already failed, then wake the cat when she starts to doze late in the evening so that she, sleeping and full of energy, does not wake up in the middle of the night.