The main causes of indigestion in dogs
Usually, an upset stomach refers to diarrhea (diarrhea). In fact, this concept is a little broader, it covers indigestion, acidity and microflora problems.
All ailments that lead to improper digestion of food or the absorption of nutrients from it can be attributed to indigestion or the work of the gastrointestinal tract.
Homemade Dog Food for Upset Stomach Recipe (Easy to Digest, Bland, Low Calorie)
It is difficult to name the main causes of indigestion in dogs, as there are so many of them. Root causes can be divided into four categories:
- Improper care.
- Inappropriate feeding.
- Acquired or congenital health problems.
- External factors.
In the early stages, indigestion is acute. The dog may experience:
- Decreased appetite.
- Soreness in the abdomen or intestines.
- Soreness when trying to go to the toilet.
- Irritation or inflammation of the anus.
- Bad breath.
- Increased gas formation.
- Constant hiccups.
- Belching accompanied by gagging.
- Vomiting and nausea.
All of the above symptoms can bother the dog for several days and go away without intervention. In this case, the dog’s body heals on its own or the disease progresses to a more severe, chronic stage. The problem is that the dog’s gastrointestinal tract is very sensitive and the intestinal mucous membranes are quickly destroyed.
Childbirth as a cause of digestive upset in a dog
One of the most serious stresses for the body, apart from viral and infectious diseases, is pregnancy and childbirth. From the first day of conception, during the entire period of gestation of puppies, the body of the expectant mother prepares for childbirth. At this time, all systems of the body are rebuilt, even the backbone undergoes changes. Under the strict guidance of the hormonal system, the organs of the dog work “for wear and tear”, ensuring the viability of not only the expectant mother, but also the embryos.
During childbirth, a huge amount of hormones enter the dog’s blood, which “spur” the body to work even more actively. During contractions and pushing, the dog develops dehydration and is constantly under stress. However, adrenaline and other hormones prevent the animal from dying from shock and make it act instinctively.
After giving birth, when the new mother feeds the puppies and comes to her senses, the consequences of overloading appear. Irritation of the intestinal mucous membranes, followed by diarrhea and indigestion, are considered to be expected complications. Usually, if the dog is healthy and the labor was not too difficult, the work of the body systems is restored within 48 hours.
To help a young mother regain her strength, she needs to be provided with warm drinks, nutritious and easily digestible food, peace and comfort. Within 2-3 days after giving birth, the condition of the dog must be closely monitored. Any alarming symptoms that appear after childbirth may indicate a complication or a delayed reaction of the body. Do not hesitate, immediately contact your veterinarian if the dog’s condition deteriorates sharply.
Heat as a cause of digestive upset in a dog
In the process of puberty in a dog, the work of the hormonal system is greatly altered. The first heat is a stressful event. The dog experiences all-round discomfort due to uterine contractions and irritation of the mucous membranes.
It is interesting! The mucous membranes have a peculiarity, they are able to influence the state of neighboring organs.
Since the genitourinary system is close to the gastrointestinal tract, during estrus, especially the first, the dog may experience stomach upset. This condition can be considered normal if it does not affect the dog’s activity and appetite. Usually, diarrhea, frequent urination, and other health problems disappear in the first two days after the onset of estrus.
If the dog’s condition worsens, does not enjoy walking, does not eat well or suffers from a fever, see a doctor immediately.
Treatment regimen and main drugs
In case of an upset stomach that threatens to develop into a chronic form, it is better not to self-medicate, but to consult a veterinarian. If you do not have the opportunity to consult a veterinarian or the visit had to be postponed, the standard treatment regimen and the main drugs are as follows:
- Sparing diet based on fermented milk products.
- In case of severe allergic reaction. hypoallergenic industrial feed.
- Probiotic and Prebiotic Supplements.
- With severe intoxication. Enterosgel.
Note! Reception of Enterosgel cannot be combined with other medications and feeding. Enterosgel is a very powerful adsorbent that absorbs not only harmful, but also useful substances that are necessary for the body at the moment.
Breed characteristics related to the dog’s health must be known to the owner prior to purchasing a puppy. The fact is that many breeds are prone to a number of hereditary diseases.
Nutrition and care methods are selected taking into account the breed characteristics. Let’s take a closer look.
Chronic disorder and its causes
An upset stomach, which is characterized by acute symptoms, can be called “easier” in terms of diagnosis and treatment. It is much more difficult to detect a chronic disorder of the digestive system.
Chronic disorder, its causes are almost always hidden, the symptoms appear at that stage of the development of the disease, when the dog’s health is undermined. Another difficulty is that chronic indigestion can be both an independent disease and a symptom of disruption of the work of almost all organs and systems of the body.
A chronic disorder develops as an independent disease if the dog suffers from an acute disorder for a long time. Struggling to survive, the body relieves the symptoms that cause the dog to shed into the water. Against the background of spontaneous elimination of symptoms in the form of diarrhea and vomiting, disruption of the gastrointestinal tract is constantly aggravated.
Chronic indigestion in the form of a symptom is a very worrying sign for the wearer. Below are just some of the diseases that provoke problems in the work of the gastrointestinal tract:
- Neoplasms, including cancer.
- Gastritis, colitis, gastroenteritis.
- Renal and hepatic impairment.
Important! Symptoms of an upset stomach may indicate a viral illness. In this case, the dog has concomitant symptoms: fever, weakness, apathy, a sharp deterioration in the quality of the coat, refusal to feed, etc.
Upset stomach in medium to large breed dogs
Medium to large breed dogs often tend to:
- Volvulus is a deadly condition, the first symptoms of which are disruption of the gastrointestinal tract. The wider the dog’s chest, the higher the risk of bloat.
- Food allergy.
- Weight gain, especially in puppyhood and old age.
- Chronic dysbiosis.
When keeping medium and large dogs, it should always be borne in mind that the symptoms of any disease are not as pronounced as in small pets. The body of a large dog is potentially stronger, so it fights ailments on its own longer, including disorders of the gastrointestinal tract.
Important! It is extremely important to feed large dogs correctly. The larger the dog, the later the symptoms of dysbiosis appear, and the “older” the dysbiosis, the more difficult it is to cure it.
What should not be given to a dog with diarrhea
- raw meat;
- fresh vegetables and fruits;
- potatoes in any form;
- fatty foods, lard;
- butter and vegetable oil;
- sweets and pastries.
If your dog is accustomed to eating only commercial food, switch it to veterinary lines for animals with digestive upsets. Do not change the brand, this is an extra burden on the stomach and intestines. Soak dry granules in water for the first week, so they are easier to digest. It is useful to transfer the animal to wet food of the usual brand. pates, stews, canned food.
Non-infectious causes of diarrhea in dogs
The intestines of animals are home to 500 species of microbes. In a healthy dog with normal microflora, 90% are necessary for the body, “good” bacteria, 9% are conditionally pathogenic, less than 1% are random from the external environment. Friendly bacteria perform a lot of useful functions, prevent harmful microbes from multiplying. When the ratio changes, the protection weakens, this condition is called dysbiosis or dysbiosis.
The animal loses appetite, diarrhea occurs, gas formation increases, here are the possible reasons for this violation:
- Improper feeding. Digestion of dogs is sensitive to excess of carbohydrates, fat.
- Abrupt change of feed. Certain enzymes are responsible for the breakdown of food components. When the composition of the diet changes, digestion does not have time to reorganize.
- Taking antibiotics incorrectly. Antimicrobial drugs kill both harmful and beneficial bacteria. With the correct dosage, the intestinal microflora self-repairs in 2 to 3 days without consequences. Complications begin if the dose is exceeded or the duration of medication prescribed by the veterinarian is exceeded.
- Overeating. The digestive system cannot cope with a large amount of feed.
- Food intolerance. This property is innate and acquired. The body lacks the necessary enzymes for processing and assimilation of feed components.
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Yellow or orange diarrhea indicates liver problems. Black stools are a sign of bleeding in the stomach, small intestine. They happen with ulcers, tumors, poisoning with chemicals that have eaten away the mucous membranes. Gray or gray-green indicates an inflammation of the pancreas. pancreatitis. White diarrhea occurs when the biliary tract is blocked.
- Mechanical damage from pieces of swallowed bones or other objects. If the wounds have formed in the stomach or upper section, the diarrhea is black. In case of damage to the large intestine and anus, stool with stripes of scarlet blood.
- In sensitive dogs, diarrhea begins after nervous tension. Stress hormones. cortisol, prolactin, adrenaline. interfere with the digestive system, disrupt the water-salt balance. The animal urinates more often, the stool becomes liquid, light. Dogs of small, decorative breeds are more susceptible to stress.
Chronic diarrhea often occurs due to impaired digestion and absorption of food. This happens due to improper feeding, a lack of bile flow into the intestines, damage to the mucous membranes.
An upset dog’s stomach what to do
Pet diarrhea knocks down the usual way of life. You have to walk with your dog more often, health concerns distract you from your daily activities, you have doubts about whether to take it to the doctor or treat yourself. In the article we will figure out when an animal needs veterinary help, in which cases you can stop diarrhea in a dog yourself, what to do at home.
A dog has diarrhea. what to do at home
Do not postpone a visit to the doctor if the dog refuses to eat, much less drink. Looks lethargic, reluctant to go for a walk. Veterinary help is needed when warning signs arise:
- unusual stool color: yellow, gray, white, black, with greens;
- impurities in feces. mucus, blood streaks, pus;
- profuse diarrhea, profuse, watery, incessant;
- exhausting vomiting;
- temperature 40. 41;
- enlarged lymph nodes;
- swollen belly;
- purulent discharge from the nose and eyes;
Home treatment is allowed when the dog does not look sick, and there are no symptoms listed.
This tool is convenient for giving pills to a dog.
- Temporarily remove any food, but leave the water.
- Remember what you fed your dog for the last 2. 3 days, what it could have swallowed on the street.
- If you suspect poisoning, rinse the stomach. First, give plenty of water to drink at room temperature 21. 24 degrees, then lightly press your finger on the root of the tongue to induce vomiting and clear some of the bacteria from the stomach. If the animal refuses to drink, pour the liquid through a syringe.
- After rinsing, give the dog a sorbent to bind and remove toxic compounds. In mild cases, it helps to quickly stop diarrhea.
- Give antimicrobial medicines for frequent diarrhea and repeated vomiting.
- After diarrhea stops, add probiotics to the feed, they restore the intestinal microflora.
- If helminths become the cause of diarrhea, then give antihelminthic drugs, but 2 weeks after the diarrhea stops.
If the diarrhea does not stop the next day, and other alarming symptoms appear, then take it to the veterinarian.
Pet & Animal Care : Home Remedies for a Dog’s Stomach Sickness
Diarrhea medicines for dogs
You can stop diarrhea with three groups of drugs:
- Sorbents. absorb harmful compounds, pathogenic bacteria and remove them along with feces.
- Antimicrobials. inhibit growth and kill harmful microorganisms.
- Probiotics. contain live beneficial bacteria, displace pathogenic microbes in the gastrointestinal tract and restore normal microflora.
It is safer to treat a dog with veterinary drugs, they give fewer side effects, the exact dosage is already written in the instructions. If the required medicine is not found, it is replaced with a human drug.
Infectious diseases with diarrhea
This group includes inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract caused by bacteria, viruses, parasites:
- Foodborne toxicoinfections. This word hides violations associated with conditionally pathogenic bacteria. clostridia, campylobacter, less often Escherichia. They live peacefully in the intestines of a healthy dog. As the population grows, the release of toxic products increases. The animal begins with watery greenish diarrhea, sometimes vomiting. Bacteria enter the body along with contaminated meat, dairy products.
- Intestinal parasites. Worms mechanically destroy mucous membranes. Microtrauma bleeds, waste products of helminths are toxic to dogs. Examination of feces reveals mucus, blood streaks, traces of parasites. eggs, larvae, adults.
- Parvovirus enteritis. The first signs of the disease are a complete refusal to eat and drink and exhausting vomiting with mucus. After 6 to 24 hours, diarrhea begins. The stool is initially watery, yellowish-gray, then green, offensive, sometimes with traces of blood. At the same time, the temperature rises to 39, 5. 41.
- Coronavirus enteritis. The disease develops like a parvovirus infection, but dogs tolerate it more easily.
- Adenoviral hepatitis. The dog becomes lethargic, lymph nodes, liver enlarge, the eye cornea becomes cloudy, severe vomiting begins, bloody diarrhea.
- Plague of carnivores of the intestinal form. The symptoms of the disease are similar to parvovirus, but the animal does not refuse water. Initial signs are vomiting and diarrhea with white or yellowish foam.
- Pyroplasmosisor babesiosis. The disease is transmitted by ixodid ticks. The dog’s temperature rises sharply to 40. The color of urine changes from dark yellow to brown. On days 2. 3, yellow vomiting begins, diarrhea with blood and mucus.
Unvaccinated animals up to a year are more likely to suffer from viral infections. Puppies under 5 months often die. The only way to protect your pet is to vaccinate on time.
How to feed a dog with diarrhea
Any food irritates the stomach, intestines and aggravates diarrhea, so transfer your pet to therapeutic fasting: a puppy for 12 hours, an adult dog for 1. 2 days. It is impossible to keep the animal without food for longer. The dog loses a lot of fluids, so leave water freely available. Add a weak herbal decoction to a bowl. chamomile, string, marshmallow root, oak bark.
If diarrhea recurs more often 5 times a day, the dog refuses water, dilute the Rehydron solution. It is sold at a regular pharmacy. Pour a bag of powder into a liter of warm boiled water, mix well, measure the required amount at the rate of 10 ml per 1 kg of animal weight. This volume of liquid is gradually injected into the pet’s mouth through a syringe without a needle for an hour.
On the second day, give the dog the rice water. Boil the groats in water or beef broth, strain the liquid through a sieve, cool and leave in a bowl next to water. From the third day on, gradually add new dishes, one daily:
- Rice, oatmeal porridge. Boil the groats well in water, give together the broth in a semi-liquid form.
- Pumpkin, squash puree without additives. Peel and seed vegetables, cut into cubes, boil in unsalted water, mash with a fork or blender. It is convenient for puppies and small dogs to give canned vegetable baby food.
- White meat of chicken, turkey, rabbit. Boil, chop, mix with broth or add to porridge.
- Fermented milk products: low-fat kefir, cottage cheese, fermented baked milk, yogurt without additives.
- Boiled eggs. Chop, mix with porridge, cottage cheese.
Let the food be warm, so it smells more attractive and is absorbed faster. Reduce the usual portions by three times, but feed them more often, every 3 hours. Maintain the diet for 7. 9 days, depending on the animal’s health.
How does diarrhea develop in a dog?
The intestine of a dog consists of 2 sections: thin and thick. In the first, food from the stomach is broken down, useful components and water are absorbed. Waste residues move into the large intestine to be expelled later in the form of feces.
Inflammation of any origin disrupts this streamlined process:
- the absorption of mineral compounds is disturbed, they attract water, which immediately comes out;
- the mucous membrane is damaged, blood, pus appears into the lumen;
- the secretion of intestinal juice, mucus increases, they increase the volume of feces;
- peristalsis accelerates.
One or a combination of these disorders becomes the precursors of diarrhea, according to scientific diarrhea. Inflammation of the small intestine is called enteritis, and the inflammation of the large intestine is called colitis. By the nature of the stool, you can determine in which department the inflammatory focus has formed:
- A lot of fluid enters the small intestine, food is broken down, so the stool is plentiful, watery, sometimes with pieces of undigested food.
- There is little fluid in the large intestine, the inflammatory focus is closer to the anus, and it is more difficult to keep feces. Stool is frequent, small in volume, often contains blood, mucus.
Acute diarrhea occurs suddenly and lasts from 1 day to 2 weeks. If the cause is not eliminated, it becomes chronic and does not stop for weeks. The main danger of diarrhea is dehydration. Water maintains normal blood pressure, participates in metabolic processes. With a lack of fluid, the functions of the kidneys, liver, heart are impaired. Puppies and older animals react harder to lack of moisture.
Symptoms of diarrhea in dogs include:
- Atypical change in stool character;
- The appearance of feces with a pungent odor, a strange shade;
- Frequent urge to defecate;
- Increased pet anxiety;
- Vomiting attacks;
- Increased body temperature;
- The appearance of bubbling sounds in the abdominal cavity of the dog;
- Bloody discharge in the structure of the stool.
What is diarrhea?
Diarrhea or diarrhea is a systematic excretion of liquid feces. Often, the pathological condition is provoked in animals by inflammatory processes that develop in the small intestine. In addition, trouble can arise as a result of damage to the body by viral, bacterial, fungal or parasitic infections. Veterinarians often face this problem. However, pet owners are far from always able to immediately figure out what medicine to give a dog for diarrhea.
The negative state can be observed only throughout the day. In the most dangerous situations, diarrhea can continue in the animal for several weeks. In the first case, there is absolutely no cause for concern. If you cannot cope with the problem for a long time, you need to understand what to give the dog with diarrhea. The choice of help for a pet depends on the general condition of the animal, the structure of the stool, and their shade.
What to give a dog for diarrhea from human medicines?
Some pharmacological agents designed to eliminate disorders in the functioning of the digestive system in humans can be given to animals. Naturally, before resorting to such actions, it is better to consult a veterinarian.
Can activated charcoal be given to a dog for diarrhea? The presented tool belongs to the category of the most harmless, time-tested drugs. Activated charcoal should be offered to dogs if necessary, as soon as possible, to eliminate all kinds of toxic manifestations, including signs of diarrhea. To determine the dosage, you need to focus on the weight of the animal. For every 10 kg, one activated charcoal tablet is sufficient. A good alternative to such a remedy can be “Enterosgel”, which has a faster and softer action.
What to give a dog for diarrhea? “Smecta” will help to eliminate the manifestations of diarrhea in a pet. Prescribe medicine for mild indigestion and food poisoning. The active ingredients in the preparation effectively remove toxins from the body. How to give “Smecta” to a dog with diarrhea? It is necessary to offer the medicine to the pet by injecting it into the oral cavity from a syringe. First, you need to give the animal a drink diluted in water. If signs of diarrhea development persist, a more concentrated formulation should be used.
Dogs like the sweetish tasting agent Enterofuril. The drug effectively eliminates the consequences of damage to the body by intestinal infections. The medicine makes it possible to quickly relieve the general condition with diarrhea. However, it is recommended to use it only after consulting a veterinarian.
If you have diarrhea, you can give your dog Loperamide. The drug is one of the most affordable and effective for diarrhea. How to give a dog Loperamide for diarrhea? If the animal has a severe disorder of the digestive organs, you can use several tablets of a pharmacological agent, dissolved in water in advance. However, veterinarians do not recommend this solution too often. Since the drug contains a whole mass of chemically active substances that can harm the health of the pet.
What else can you give your dog for diarrhea? The popular synthetic antibiotic “Levomycetin” can help eliminate the problem. The active ingredients of the drug have a negative effect on a number of pathogenic microorganisms. It is recommended to use the medicine for the infectious nature of the diarrhea in the dog. You can give the animal no more than one tablet per day.
First aid for the defeat of the body by viruses
What to give a dog with diarrhea and vomiting? With these symptoms, it is recommended to limit the animal’s access to food for a day. The pet should be offered plenty of fluids. Additionally, water-salt solutions should be introduced into the body. In order to restore healthy intestinal microflora, the dog should be given fermented milk food. Probiotic medications can help. Naturally, you cannot do without visiting a veterinarian who will conduct all the necessary tests, determine the causative agent of the disease and prescribe the appropriate antiviral drugs.
At home, you can alleviate the condition of the dog with the help of effective recipes, time-tested. First of all, a four-footed friend should be drunk with rice broth or infusion of flax seeds. Such folk remedies have an enveloping effect on the mucous membranes of the stomach and allow you to get rid of all kinds of digestive disorders.
Some herbal preparations will help cure your dog with diarrhea. Use blueberries, alder, dried St. John’s wort and sage. On the basis of these plants, infusions are prepared with which the animal is fed. Such herbs relieve inflammation, have antimicrobial effect.
Forms of diarrhea in dogs
Disorders of the digestive system in four-legged pets can take the following forms:
- Acute diarrhea is characterized by the regular discharge of liquid feces for 10-14 days. Often the reason for the development of a pathological condition is the wrong choice of feed for compiling a daily diet. Some dog breeds do not accept too fatty, sweet, spicy or milk feeding, which causes diarrhea.
- Chronic diarrhea. the negative state is maintained for more than 2 weeks. The manifestation occurs against the background of the lack of adequate treatment for obsolete diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. To determine the recurrence of a specific ailment, it is important to conduct laboratory tests.
Treating diarrhea with blood impurities
What can you give a dog for diarrhea with blood in the stool? First of all, it is worth contacting a veterinarian, who will prescribe the use of pharmacological agents, the properties of which contribute to the healing of tissues of internal organs. When diagnosing tumors of a benign or malignant nature, surgery may be necessary.
If food poisoning is suspected, gastric lavage is recommended. If worms are found, then you can not do without taking anthelmintic drugs, among which the most effective are drugs such as “Albendozol” and “Macmiror”.
Pills and medications
- The drug Regidron. This product is available in powder form, which must be diluted with water before use. You can add a little granulated sugar to the finished mixture so that the dog drinks the medicine.
- Glucose. With severe dehydration of the canine body, the doctor prescribes an internal solution with glucose.
- Antibiotics These medications are prescribed to a sick animal when an infectious disease is the cause of diarrhea.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs. Medications are given to a dog if it has an elevated body temperature and blood is present in the diarrhea.
- Antiparasitic drugs. In each case, with diarrhea, it is recommended that the dog carry out prophylaxis against internal parasites (worms).
What to give a dog for diarrhea?
At home, you can also help the animal cope with the disease. For this, gentle, harmless, but effective means are used.
- Rice broth. Boil rice groats in a small amount of water, then the thick is removed, and you need to water the dog with the resulting broth.
- Herbal preparations. An infusion of medicinal herbs is being prepared, which the animal is given to drink. As medicinal plants, you can use: alder fruits, blueberries, sage, St. John’s wort.
What to do and how to treat diarrhea in a dog
Diarrhea in a dog can be triggered either by poisoning or by a more serious illness. Dog breeders who ignore this ailment in their pet are doing the wrong thing. In no case should you let any disease in a dog take its course, including diarrhea.
It is important to remember that this disorder of the digestive system clearly indicates an internal problem in the animal’s body. It is also important to remember that untimely or inappropriate treatment of the disease can result in negative consequences for the health and life of the dog.
Nutrition for a dog with diarrhea
During the course of the illness, the dog always feels unwell. If she refuses to eat, it is forbidden to force-feed her. The animal needs to drink a lot.
What are the rules of nutrition during illness?
- On the first day of illness, it is better for the animal not to give any food at all, if it asks to eat, then you can give a small amount of boiled rice.
- On the second day, the dog can be offered fermented milk products to normalize the digestive process.
- On the third day, if the animal feels better, then low-fat foods are introduced into the diet: boiled egg, chicken or fish. For all 3 days, the dog can be given boiled rice.
It is important not to forget that a sick dog needs plenty of fluids. Plain water, sweet tea, herbal decoctions, rice decoction are suitable as a medicinal liquid.
Learn how to stop your dog from crap at home. Practical tips for dog breeders in our article.
Have you noticed dermatitis in your four-legged friend? Find out about the causes and treatment of demodicosis here.
We will tell you about how to teach a puppy the voice command and all the intricacies of this training.
If the animal has diarrhea with various blotches of blood clots, then this may indicate the presence of a serious illness in the dog’s body. As an ambulance, the pet must be immediately shown to the veterinarian. What diseases have this symptom?
- Poisoning. The dog often picks up various small objects on the street or in some other place, if a foreign body or poor-quality food enters the animal’s stomach and causes severe irritation of the intestinal walls, then the dog develops diarrhea with blood.
- Parvovirus enteritis This ailment is mainly present in babies from 2 months to a year. Unfortunately, the disease often leads to the death of the puppy, especially if the latter is not provided with timely medical assistance.
- Traumatic enterocolitis. Bloody diarrhea in a dog can occur if the animal has eaten a small foreign body, and inside the body it has injured the walls of the intestine or stomach.
- Adverse reflex to taking pain medications.
This chronic disease is recognized when a dog has diarrhea for 3 weeks or more. Feces for chronic diarrhea is often accompanied by mucus and blood.
The main reason for the onset of the disease is the use of low-quality products or traumatic damage to the gastric mucosa. In some cases, chronic diarrhea is triggered by various infectious or parasitic diseases.
With prolonged diarrhea, the dog loses much weight, its appetite deteriorates, the quality of the coat changes, vigor and joy of life disappear.
How to treat diarrhea
When the first signs of an illness appear, a sick dog must be taken to a veterinary clinic or a doctor must be called at home. After identifying the causes of the disease, the veterinarian prescribes drug treatment for the patient.
In veterinary practice, acute diarrhea is most common in dogs. The disease is characterized by its sudden appearance and short-term effect. It has been noticed that acute diarrhea in dogs does not last more than 3 weeks, but, nevertheless, the disease is serious and requires timely treatment.
The causes of acute diarrhea are identical to those of common indigestion. Symptoms include watery feces, sometimes bloody.
This condition of the animal is especially dangerous because, as a result of frequent bowel movements, the body can lose a significant amount of fluid, and this leads to dehydration and imbalance in the body.
For the treatment of diarrhea of various etiologies, not only Enterofuril is used. Analogs of the drug in action can be considered:
- Loperamide (due to the strong concentration of the active substance, it can only be used on large dogs);
- Smectu (sorbent improves intestinal motility, has detoxification properties);
- activated carbon. effectively removes toxins;
- Levomycetin, Loperamide. antibiotics designed to eliminate various types of infection.
Since each of the drugs has its own contraindications, only a veterinarian can prescribe them.
Taking any medication, even the safest, can have negative consequences. Enterofuril can cause:
- local allergic reactions (skin rash, itching, irritation);
- nausea, vomiting;
- general malaise;
- runny nose;
If these symptoms appear, you must stop taking the drug and contact your veterinarian. He will prescribe another antidiarrheal agent, as well as symptomatic treatment of allergies.
Quincke’s edema, anaphylactic shock are considered dangerous manifestations of allergies. Quincke’s edema is manifested by swelling of the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract. The reaction develops very quickly: you can notice swelling of the throat, the dog begins to choke. It is urgent to contact the veterinarian, since the attack can only be stopped with special medications.
Anaphylactic shock is a severe allergic reaction that causes:
- laryngeal edema;
- worsening breathing.
To eliminate dangerous symptoms, prednisone is prescribed.
The drug is administered orally, the required dose is calculated based on the weight of the animal: 1 ml of suspension per 1 kg of the dog’s body weight. Cases of drug overdose and negative consequences of this have not been identified, however, the instructions should be followed.
When taking capsules, the dose is calculated as follows: 40 mg of active ingredient per 2.5 kg of pet’s body weight. The treatment regimen assumes that the drug should be given to puppies and adult dogs three times a day, with an interval of 8 hours.
Treatment should be continued for at least 7 days. Since the drug acts selectively on microorganisms, you should not be afraid of an imbalance in the balance of beneficial and harmful bacteria in the body.
In case of diarrhea, treatment with Enterofuril should be combined with a diet. Fasting is recommended on the first day. The pet should be provided with constant access to clean water, since with diarrhea, a lot of fluid leaves the body, and it is necessary to replenish its balance. The menu of the second day should consist of liquid rice porridge, boiled in water, and fermented milk products. You need to feed the dog several times a day, but in small portions.
Animals cannot tell what hurts they have. Only pronounced symptoms will tell the caring owner that it is necessary to contact the veterinarian. One of the signs that indicate a pet’s health problems is the color of the stool. In a healthy dog, it is brown, formed.
If the excrement has changed color, consistency is a reason to be wary:
|Yellow||Possible in case of stress, upset (indigestion) of the stomach. Conventional “human” drugs (activated carbon, Smecta, Loperamide) will help restore bowel function|
|White||Observed in liver diseases, blockage of the bile ducts|
|Green||Poisoning by poor quality food. requires immediate attention to the veterinarian|
|The black||From harmless reasons (taking activated charcoal, changing the diet) to serious and dangerous (damage to the walls of the stomach or duodenum 12)|
|Red||With the presence of blood. severe injuries, tumors in the gastrointestinal tract|
|Liquid||Watery. stress, poisoning or the presence of worms, infection|
|Diarrhea with mucus||The presence of infection, inflammatory processes in the body, with helminthic invasion|
An intestinal disorder that is accompanied by loose stools requires a visit to the veterinarian, because such a symptom can signal a serious illness. Enterofuril copes well with diarrhea of various origins, however, eliminating the symptom of the disease will not get rid of it, but can “blur” the picture of the disease.
An upset stomach, loose stools in a dog is a common occurrence that is not always harmless. In some cases, diarrhea is a symptom of a serious infectious disease and requires an urgent visit to a veterinary clinic. Any diarrhea that lasts for several days is dangerous. more precisely, dehydration, which is its consequence. Enterofuril for dogs can help manage diarrhea without negative health consequences.
Enterofuril is used to eliminate diarrhea of various origins:
- Poisoning with low quality or spoiled foods (the most common cause);
- changing the diet (switching from natural food to industrial feed or even changing the brand of feed);
- heat, being in a stuffy room;
- helminthic invasion. The result of the vital activity of helminths in the body can be an infection, a sign of the development of which will be diarrhea;
- foreign body in the stomach;
- intoxication with chemical poisons (bloody blotches in excrement may indicate it);
- viral or infectious diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, as a result of which the microflora in the intestine is disturbed (a characteristic feature is mucus in liquid feces);
- oncology (often accompanied by bloody diarrhea).
A stool disorder can be a sign of an allergic reaction, the presence of rectal polyps, or other bowel diseases, in which its walls are irritated.
Enterofuril is a broad spectrum drug of action, it has a pronounced antibacterial effect. At the same time, acting actively against pathogens, beneficial bacteria are not exposed to the action of the drug.
Suspension is the most commonly used treatment for dogs. The pleasant taste and aroma of the medicine attracts animals who perceive the medicine as a delicacy.
Enterofuril can be taken even if the cause of the diarrhea has not been established. The drug has no contraindications, unless nifuroxazide, the active active ingredient of the drug, does not have an individual intolerance in the dog. You can check its presence as follows: apply a small amount of the suspension to the pet’s nose. The dog will lick the sweet medicine. In the absence of irritation, allergic reaction, the full dose can be given within 1-2 hours.
The drug is used for diarrhea caused by pathogenic bacteria. The active ingredient is nifuroxazide, it quickly copes with the infection, eliminating the unpleasant symptoms of the disease.
The medicine is available in two forms: suspension and capsules containing different amounts of the active ingredient.